The Avengers Vs The Dark Knight Rises

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Edge9695
Ok, i went to see both The Avengers & The Dark Knight Rises, and my home boys, said that The Dark Knight was way better than The Avengers, and i think otherwise, i want to know from you all who has seen both movies which one you think is really better, with all mistakes such as that lame a$$ Bane, compared to Loki......

Oliver North
avengers was terrible, had to turn it off part way through.

dark knight was tolerable, batman begins was pretty good, so I imagine I'll be able to make it the whole way through DKR, but I'm not expecting much.

of the available options, DKR then?

Mairuzu
DKR could have been better but I still say it was better than the Avengers. Almost forgot about that movie.

Digi
*random opinion on subjective question
*implication of directors' true motivations/tendencies/weaknesses
*hope for {insert arbitrary villain/reboot} in the sequel

*question OP's sexuality?

Newjak
Originally posted by Digi
*random opinion on subjective question
*implication of directors' true motivations/tendencies/weaknesses
*hope for {insert arbitrary villain/reboot} in the sequel

*question OP's sexuality? This

and personally I enjoyed Avengers more.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Newjak
This

and personally I enjoyed Avengers more.

Weelllll....imma have to agree, here.

the ninjak
Avengers was way better.

I got bored many times throughout DKR yet I was always entertained throughout Avengers.

Seriously, anybody want to explain why DKR was a better film besides Batman hype? the script was lame.

ares834
Better plot and characters (aside from Stark) IMO. Anyway, I enjoyed both but TDKR takes the cake for me. I absolutely loved the film.

the ninjak
DKR was full of holes script wise. I'll post em tomorrow.

ares834
Considering I've only see one legitimate plot hole, I won't hold my breath.

BruceSkywalker
i liked both films the same..

just about each and every film has plot holes and I have got to say that I couldn;t care less about them.. plot holes do not diminish the way I feel about a film

Oliver North
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
plot holes do not diminish the way I feel about a film

I don't mean to sound crass, but why else would you watch a film if not for a cohesive narrative?

Tzeentch._
And Inimalist makes his taste suspect once more.

Oliver North
to be fair, its either I have terrible taste, or everyone else on the planet does...

I know how I feel about it, but odds aren't in my favor

Digi
Jesus, everyone with the name changes.

Mindset
I hate ini's name change.

Mindset
Originally posted by Oliver North
I don't mean to sound crass, but why else would you watch a film if not for a cohesive narrative? Good acting, cgi, music score, boobs.

Oliver North
Originally posted by Mindset
I hate ini's name change.

lol

ollie north strikes again big grin

Good acting,

ya, fair enough. Dark Knight was worth seeing Ledger as Joker, Bale has been fairly commendable... though I'd love to know who came up with that voice.

EDIT: Acting in the Avengers was, comparatively, terrible, but that might have been more a reflection of the writing than the actors.

Mindset
Bane was supposed to be south american, so I think that's an english version of a spanish speakers accent.

I actually liked it.

Oliver North
Bane was supposed to be south american, so I think that's an english version of a spanish speakers accent.

I actually liked it.

I actually meant Bale's growling Batman voice. I get what they were going for, but it destroyed the immersion of the scene every time he talked, to me at least.

Like, the scene where he was interrogating the Joker in the police station, I know it was supposed to be an intense scene, but every time Batman talked I wanted to laugh.

Haven't seem DKR, but the promise of growling vs distorted accent is very appealing to the cynic in me.

ares834
lol

Thankfully, Bale tones back the Bat-rasp this time around.

Robtard
I actually meant Bale's growling Batman voice. I get what they were going for, but it destroyed the immersion of the scene every time he talked, to me at least.

Like, the scene where he was interrogating the Joker in the police station, I know it was supposed to be an intense scene, but every time Batman talked I wanted to laugh.

Haven't seem DKR, but the promise of growling vs distorted accent is very appealing to the cynic in me.

Bane's voice was terrible, laughable at times.

Oliver North
Originally posted by ares834
lol

Thankfully, Bale tones back the Bat-rasp this time around.

Originally posted by Robtard
Bane's voice was terrible, laughable at times.

haha, I'm thinking of watching it tonight, so we will see...

EDIT: also, my intent wasn't to turn this into a shit on movies thread, but it seems like it was inevitable

Digi
Eh, I thought both were excellent, and not really comparable because the tone was so different. The internet is where enjoyment of these things goes to die.

BackFire
I liked TDKR more.

Mindset
I liked Avengers more.

You wanna fight about it!?

BackFire
Come at me.

Mindset
I'll bite your faces off.

BackFire
I only have one face.

Mindset
Your picture says otherwise.

You multifaced freak!

BruceSkywalker
I don't mean to sound crass, but why else would you watch a film if not for a cohesive narrative?

i go to see movies so i can enjoy myself whether it is because of the actor/actress , type of film, wanna be scared, etc..

I actually liked it.

agreed

silver_tears
Originally posted by BackFire
I liked TDKR more.

This.

Personally I thought Avengers was terrible, there were parts where I seriously considered walking out I was so bored.

And I also liked Bane's voice/accent.
Also, pretty sure Batman's voice is deliberate, part of his disguise, something something voice modifier, don't think it's just meant to be threatening.

Robtard
Originally posted by silver_tears
And I also liked Bane's voice/accent.

If you weren't such a hottie, I'd headbutt you in the vagina.

Mindset
Avengers was great for what it was.

Mindset
If you weren't such a hottie, I'd headbutt you in the vagina. thumb down

silver_tears
If you weren't such a hottie, I'd headbutt you in the vagina.

Something something which head etc etc.

Mindset
Something something which head etc etc. I like the way you think.

BackFire
Also hated Bane's voice, for the record. Sounded like a silly old man.

Actually laughed out loud when I heard his first line of the movie. Got used to it after a while, though.

I just really liked the tone of TDKR. The sense of despair and hopelessness was very potent and powerful.

Mindset
I liked everything about Bane except his mask.

Also, why was Hardy bigger for his mma movie than for this?

He's supposed to be a beefcake.

no homo

silver_tears
Originally posted by BackFire
Also hated Bane's voice, for the record. Sounded like a silly old man.

Actually laughed out loud when I heard his first line of the movie. Got used to it after a while, though.

I just really liked the tone of TDKR. The sense of despair and hopelessness was very potent and powerful.

I agree, but that's why I liked it, was unnerving.

I like the way you think.

I guess I can forgive your poor taste in movies stick out tongue

I feel like we can all agree though that even the worst acting from a lead in TDKR (which imo was Anne Hathaway) far surpassed anything in Avengers.

Newjak
Bane was probably my favorite character from TDKR. He's one of my favorite comic book villains.

Tom Hardy did a great job in this performance.

srankmissingnin
The Dark Knight Rises is a plodding, monotonous mess. Great acting, beautiful cinematography and stunning sound design, don't over shadow the films terrible pacing, bloated run time, or it's predicable, and pretentious plot. The film is simply boring. I honestly believe there is a good movie in there somewhere... but apparently no one told Christopher Nolan than he doesn't need to use every. single. scene. to compile in the final cut. The movie watches like Terrance Malick was in charge of the editing bay. You could lop a good 30 - 40 minutes of the film and you'd be left with a more focused, engaging and cohesive story. It's a shame.

Avengers is by far the better movie.

Mindset
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
The Dark Knight Rises is a plodding, monotonous mess. Great acting, beautiful cinematography and stunning sound design, don't over shadow the films terrible pacing, bloated run time, or it's predicable, and pretentious plot. The film is simply boring. I honestly believe there is a good movie in there somewhere... but apparently no one told Christopher Nolan than he doesn't need to use every. single. scene. to compile in the final cut. The movie watches like Terrance Malick was in charge of the editing bay. You could lop a good 30 - 40 minutes of the film and you'd be left with a more focused, engaging and cohesive story. It's a shame.

Avengers is by far the better movie. But on the other hand, you don't know anything. mmm

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Newjak
Bane was probably my favorite character from TDKR. He's one of my favorite comic book villains.

Tom Hardy did a great job in this performance.

yeah Hardy certainly did

Omega Vision

At this point you sound like a parody of yourself.

Impediment
Originally posted by Impediment
Anne Hathaway is so much hotter than Scarlett Johansson.

I mean, don't get me wrong. I'd make SJ's face look like a glazed donut, but Hathaway just seems to have much more natural beauty. So much beauty, I'd go A2M on Anne.

Colossus-Big C
I hate ini's name change. Who is INI?

the ninjak

Couldn't agree more.

Insomniatric
Haven't seen TDKR, but the Avengers wins. It's the 2nd best movie ever, right behind Jurassic Park and right above Spider-man 2 (with JAWS at number 4).

These are facts, not opinions.

silver_tears
Laughable, considering you haven't even seen TDKR.

It's even better the second time around when you start to notice the small things and can really appreciate the acting. Like when Bane sees Talia for the first time and for a brief second his eyes flicker with recognition. ****, the acting was superb.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Insomniatric
Haven't seen TDKR, but the Avengers wins. It's the 2nd best movie ever, right behind Jurassic Park and right above Spider-man 2 (with JAWS at number 4).

These are facts, not opinions. Those are terrible facts.

Tzeentch._

It's even better the second time around when you start to notice the small things and can really appreciate the acting. Like when Bane sees Talia for the first time and for a brief second his eyes flicker with recognition. ****, the acting was superb. I actually thought it was worse the second time around. It's flaws just became more pronounced.

On the whole I agree with SRank (a first). TDKR seemed like a really amazing film that was just buried beneath too much pretentious and monotonous bullshit.

Avengers might not have been as "smart" as TDKR, but from an actual narrative perspective, it was just better written, imo.

wakkawakkawakka
As much as I wanted TDKR to be the superior film of the two, I still found the Avengers to be both more enjoyable and have less distracting faults. In fact I'm actually still kind of mad the Nolanverse was made into a trilogy despite Bane's appearance. Yeah I still think this was an unecessary third installment though that could just be my intolerance of Catwoman kicking in.

ares834
Originally posted by Tzeentch._
Avengers might not have been as "smart" as TDKR, but from an actual narrative perspective, it was just better written, imo.

Probably because there wasn't one.

stick out tongue

silver_tears
Everyone keeps mentioning flaws and faults and plot holes, let's see some examples, particularly of plot holes. I'm still waiting for that list I was promised on page 1.

God forbid a movie actually develop its characters through dialogue and backstory instead of treating viewers to 45 minutes (or at least that's what it felt like ugh) of space creatures flying around skyscrapers with big guns.

Tzeentch._
Everyone keeps mentioning flaws and faults and plot holes, let's see some examples, particularly of plot holes. I'm still waiting for that list I was promised on page 1.here ya go It kicks up at page 21, I guess. That's when we all start talking about it.

The actual discussion about the film's been interesting for the past week or so, imo. There seems to be a lot of polarizing opinions.

Well, I'm assuming that many people's problem with the movie is related to that, in that Nolan didn't really do a good job with that aspect of the film, compared to TDK and Begins anyway. More specifically, I think Whedon did a better job of fleshing out his characters in Avengers did than Nolan did in this one. Bane and Talia were both extremely one-dimensional and their motivations were one-dimensional (Talia's entire motivation was literally to fulfill her father's dying wish, despite the fact that what she was doing was actually kind of the opposite of what his vision was, and Bane's motive was to basically execute her plans. He didn't seem to really have any true motivations himself, just as examples). Loki admittedly played a bit of a "bwahaha" villain in Avengers, but his general pathos was, imo, much more fleshed out than the TDKR villains.

Lord Lucien
I don't know about which film was "better", but Avengers was certainly more entertaining.

Tzeentch._
Yeah, I felt my wind wandering at certain points in TDKR.

Mr Parker
are the global mods not around anymore? I kept double checking to make sure i wasnt in the movie discussion section.

Lord Lucien
There's a difference between "not around" and "not giving a shit".

Mr Parker
thats killer movies for you.Sure has gone downhill since the good old days when I first came here almost 10 years ago where this kind of thing for example; never went on.times sure have changed for the worse.this sort of thing is why i seldom come here anymore and why this place has gone to hell since the good old days.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Mr Parker
thats killer movies for you.Sure has gone downhill since the good old days when I first came here almost 10 years ago where this kind of thing for example; never went on.times sure have changed for the worse.this sort of thing is why i seldom come here anymore and why this place has gone to hell since the good old days.
Well, don't let us keep you.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Mr Parker
thats killer movies for you.Sure has gone downhill since the good old days when I first came here almost 10 years ago where this kind of thing for example; never went on.times sure have changed for the worse.this sort of thing is why i seldom come here anymore and why this place has gone to hell since the good old days. What, did your life revolve around posting on a website?

Robtard

I mean, don't get me wrong. I'd make SJ's face look like a glazed donut, but Hathaway just seems to have much more natural beauty. So much beauty, I'd go A2M on Anne.

wXw6znXPfy4

Mindset
I agree with Robtard.

Perfection has been reached.

dadudemon

I'd give SJ an 8 and AH and 8.5. Only way I'd be convinced is if both hopped on these nuts, at the same time. There are far hotter women out there in the real world. These two can just memorize lines and spit them out halfway decently. Why the swollen peens over them?

Bardock42
I liked both

Lord Lucien
Then you clearly don't "get it", brah.

DarthTheDominat
No matter how good an action film is it is still just an action film and can never be a great film. The film has literally no dramatic value, nothing in the form of a great mystery, nothing resembling a suspenseful thriller. It is just a silly story about these heroes being gathered together to fend off an alien invasion for the most part. And for what it's worth I found most of the action scenes boring and nothing really new about them and I think the film completely lacked a distinctive visual style. It just wasn't very good. Captain America was the best out of all the Avengers films for sure, and it's because it actually had a good focus on characters.

If you look at something like, 300 for example, it's the far superior action film because it actually had bucket loads of its own distinctive style to it. Avengers has no such thing.

TDKR was definitely not as good as TDK and there were big problems with it, it was overly long and got a bit boring at times, the very middle got a bit convoluted and didn't explain things very well, Bane's voice definitely wasn't clear at times, and many other things, but it at least succeeds as good storytelling despite those problems, has genuinely good dramatic moments, and actually creates real tension and atmosphere. TDKR simply tells a much better story.

Oliver North
Originally posted by DarthTheDominat
No matter how good an action film is it is still just an action film and can never be a great film.

wut?

DarthTheDominat
Well there is one exception to that. If it has such a sense of distinctive style that it can possibly be looked at as a piece of visual or aural art, then yes perhaps a pure action film can be considered a great film. Otherwise no, a pure action film is simply too intellectually unambitious for it to be a great film if it can't be looked at aesthetically as a piece of art.

Oliver North
Well there is one exception to that. If it has such a sense of distinctive style that it can possibly be looked at as a piece of visual or aural art, then yes perhaps a pure action film can be considered a great film. Otherwise no, a pure action film is simply too intellectually unambitious for it to be a great film if it can't be looked at aesthetically as a piece of art.

lol, I like how you switched the term to "pure" action wink

easy cop-out

DarthTheDominat
lol no dishonesty on my end pal. Obviously hybrids don't count as an action/thriller has the storytelling elements of the thriller genre for example. When I say action film I am basically talking about a pure action film. BTW it can also be an action fantasy film for example as the fantasy genre is a setting genre, not a storytelling (e.g. thriller, mystery etc) or fundamental (horror, comedy etc.) genre.

Newjak
No matter how good an action film is it is still just an action film and can never be a great film. The film has literally no dramatic value, nothing in the form of a great mystery, nothing resembling a suspenseful thriller. It is just a silly story about these heroes being gathered together to fend off an alien invasion for the most part. And for what it's worth I found most of the action scenes boring and nothing really new about them and I think the film completely lacked a distinctive visual style. It just wasn't very good. Captain America was the best out of all the Avengers films for sure, and it's because it actually had a good focus on characters.

If you look at something like, 300 for example, it's the far superior action film because it actually had bucket loads of its own distinctive style to it. Avengers has no such thing.

TDKR was definitely not as good as TDK and there were big problems with it, it was overly long and got a bit boring at times, the very middle got a bit convoluted and didn't explain things very well, Bane's voice definitely wasn't clear at times, and many other things, but it at least succeeds as good storytelling despite those problems, has genuinely good dramatic moments, and actually creates real tension and atmosphere. TDKR simply tells a much better story. I feel like a lot of this is subjective.

Oliver North
things that don't support my argument don't count

fixed

you are still wrong though wink

DarthTheDominat
I didn't feel the need to specify those details. We are talking about The Avengers. It is a pure action film, and it doesn't have a distinctive visual style, no real atmosphere behind the action, no poetry in the motion of the action, nothing. What majorly separates this from something like The Expendables?

Oliver North
so you admit there are great action films then?

DarthTheDominat
Pure action films, almost none. Maybe stuff like 300 for its amazing sense of style. Plus not everybody will agree on things being pure action films anyway, it's been a while since I saw 300 so there might have actually been good storytelling to it. Likewise to something like Fearless which I haven't seen in a while, but I will say that the fight scenes in that were out of this world.

Oliver North
so, you can tell me why First Blood, Alien or Equilibrium aren't great films? Empire Strikes Back? Or is there some reason you have determined that suggests these aren't action films?

Myth
I give Dark Knight Rises the edge just because I prefer the serious tone. I had plenty of issues with both films, but ultimately, TDKR is my #2 film of the year while The Avengers is my #3 (Prometheus, also filled with issues, is my #1).

DarthTheDominat
so, you can tell me why First Blood,

Haven't seen it.

There wasn't even that much action in Alien. It was far more of a suspenseful thriller than anything else.

Been a while, but again Equilibrium actually had interesting fight choreography and a sense of style, plus interesting story from what I remember. Out of what I have seen, this is the closest to being an action film out of all that you brought up, but I'd have to see it again before I could call it a pure action film.

Are you kidding me? ESB is in no way an action film. ESB tells a very heartfelt and meaningful story full of drama and twists and turns. It is in no way an action film.

DarthTheDominat
Bantha got your tail Oliver North?

Darth Martin
Both were great for different reasons.

Batman was better though no question.

zeel
went and saw the dark knight again the other day. MY GF forced me to duh. I went into it with no expectations and found i liked it a bit better. The avengers and TDK are totally diffrent movies. The avengers is not a movie of high end acting, this dosent mean there werent talented actors in it casue there were. However the avengers was a 100% pure comic book movie, special effects and action scenes with plenty of humor.

TDK on the other hand is not a traditional comicbook movie. IT reminded me more of Dark drama of a hero defending his city. It almost felt patriotic at times. However the action scenes were not on par with the avengers. The speciall effects were not even in the ball park with the avengers. If you are looking for a traditional comicbook movie thats a bundle of laughes with awsome action and fun to watch then the avengers are for you. If you are looking for a movie thats setting takes place in darker times, if your looking for a movie thats kinda long, if your looking for a movie thats has great acting in it. If you are not as concerned with the special effects and more concerned with getting in touch with the character then TDK is for you. THE TDK was more of a drama where the avengers was more a true comic book movie.

Insomniatric

It's even better the second time around when you start to notice the small things and can really appreciate the acting. Like when Bane sees Talia for the first time and for a brief second his eyes flicker with recognition. ****, the acting was superb.

I wasn't even really serious when I said that. calm down bro. This really isn't that serious.

My sister saw it, she said Avengers was better. Critics did too, just saying, lol. Tomatometer is all-knowing.

dadudemon
Everyone keeps mentioning flaws and faults and plot holes, let's see some examples, particularly of plot holes. I'm still waiting for that list I was promised on page 1.

Blaxican did a good job of pointing you in the right direction but I don't think he pointed you to the best posts. The decent criticisms really start with mine and Blaxican's on page 22 (seriously).

I really tear the film a new one on page 24. Then I post a massive triple post criticism of the film on page 33. Warning: if you don't want to know about the great many number of flaws in the film, avoid reading those pages and posts because it could ruin the film for you. All other critical posts are pretty much just different words for points Blaxican and I already brought up.

NemeBro
I saw your points and not a shit was given.

I preferred the Avengers though.

The only part that really grated on my nerves in terms of being a gaping plothole was a penniless and resourceless Bruce Wayne making it from some Middle Eastern country to Gotham in less than a ****ing day.

Flyattractor
I got the feeling that DKR should have had another hour or so to it to make it feel complete...

But then I would have had to pee in my Extra large Soda cup.

Mr. Rhythmic
Can't compare them.

DARTH POWER
TDK>Avengers>>>TDKR.

But stop with the TDKR Nitpicking. It was a good film. Just doesn't touch it's predecessors.

dadudemon
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
TDK>Avengers>>>TDKR.

I agree with this.

quanchi112
Avengers.

BruceSkywalker
TDKR>>TDK>>>>AVENGERS

But stop with the TDKR Nitpicking. It was a good film. Just doesn't touch it's predecessors.

big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin

NemeBro
You thought TDKR was better than TDK?

Really?

Esau Cairn
big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin

I'm gonna stomp each one of those smilies into the ground. evil face

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by NemeBro
You thought TDKR was better than TDK?

Really?

I'm having fun.. I thought they were the same equally, IMO... but then again I just wanted a good movie and I got that

Insomniatric
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Those are terrible facts.

Lol

But seriously, Jurassic Park is easily my favorite movie of all time.

PJlmYh27MHg

This scene is so beautiful to me, everything is perfect (especially the music).

I also LOVE the ending, when they were in the helicopter, and the people look out the window and see the pelicans flying alongside the helicopter in formation and realize that the dinosaurs were with us all along.

I could go on about that movie all day.

Mr. Rhythmic
TDK>Avengers>>>TDKR.

They all brought something equally amazing to the table for me. It's like picking your favorite child.

Dark Knight brought some of the best performances and scenes I've ever seen in a film.

The Avengers brought some of the largest action sequences and best allstar casts of all time.

The Dark Knight Rises brought some of the most memorable lines, shocking moments, and one of the single greatest movie villains in decades.

But that's just me personally.

WhiteWitchKing
Both series is great. All three super hero flicks this summer had great story lines with terrific casts. Nolan put out the best Batman series so far with three solid flick for his trilogy. Avengers is everything we could ever hopeful. Finally the technology is up to par that an Avengers film can be pulled off without feeling cheesy. It's an incredible cast that pulled off what comic fans have been drooling over. At this point, JLA fans would be happy if a film was made that was on par with the Avengers.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by WhiteWitchKing
Both series is great. All three super hero flicks this summer had great story lines with terrific casts. Nolan put out the best Batman series so far with three solid flick for his trilogy. Avengers is everything we could ever hopeful. Finally the technology is up to par that an Avengers film can be pulled off without feeling cheesy. It's an incredible cast that pulled off what comic fans have been drooling over. At this point, JLA fans would be happy if a film was made that was on par with the Avengers.

the thing is im not sure if a JLA film will be as good as The Avengers was

WhiteWitchKing
the thing is im not sure if a JLA film will be as good as The Avengers was

Understandable. I don't think any of us were sure Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, or the Avengers were going to any good until we watched the final product. A lot of super heroes can come off as cheesy if it's not balanced right. If it's too serious, it might just turn bad. I think each character needs their own approach.

JLA at this point is a got to see it to believe it deal as well.

DARTH POWER
Iron Man & Thor especially were really well beyond our expectations. Marvel studios has really done a fantastic job on the big screen.

Problem with a potential JL is the only 2 big products DC has on the big screen are Superman and Batman. And they really messed up the last attempt at Supes and they're rebooting the most successful Batman series.

So there's nothing to build a potential JL off right now.

Of course the thing with JL is there's so many big names on the roster, that just making the movie without having a huge build up could prove a huge potential hit by itself.

However as of right now I just don't have faith in them to get it right. The GL movie really took all my faith away.

janus77
Personally, I just don't think DC characters have the appeal to pull off big movies.

IM is easily Marvel's best film franchise and was hands down the most powerful character element within The Avengers.

Thor wasn't a bad film but, the character is inherently bland and works best as background for others (Darcy's tasering of him, Jane running him over ...).

The Hulk films have been failures for a variety of reasons, "art house Hulk" was just ridiculously ill-fitting and "Norton Banner" though a very good and underrated film could not make up for the self-sabotage that Marvel did with Ang Lee's Hulk.

The major DCU characters are either too clean cut or too one-dimensional (Batman aside), too cheesy (Hawk people), too esoteric (some of the "zanier" Lanterns) or just too downright boring (MM and that other guy who does the thing where he's like really fast and yawn).

Zack Fair
I disagree.

DC is just being anal, stupid, moronic and have no idea how to make it work.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by WhiteWitchKing
Understandable. I don't think any of us were sure Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, or the Avengers were going to any good until we watched the final product. A lot of super heroes can come off as cheesy if it's not balanced right. If it's too serious, it might just turn bad. I think each character needs their own approach.

JLA at this point is a got to see it to believe it deal as well.

its a shame dc doesn't follow the way marvel did

DARTH POWER

Nah they should do it in their own way. They can't just copy Marvel.

Dc's main problem right now is they just can't make good movies for the big screen, they don't know how to budget, (look at how much they spent on Superman Returns and on GL!!!) and they lack that ambition Marvel's had.

Can you believe Joss Whedon was involved with a Wonder Woman project, but got tired of waiting around??!

BruceSkywalker
Nah they should do it in their own way. They can't just copy Marvel.

Dc's main problem right now is they just can't make good movies for the big screen, they don't know how to budget, (look at how much they spent on Superman Returns and on GL!!!) and they lack that ambition Marvel's had.

Can you believe Joss Whedon was involved with a Wonder Woman project, but got tired of waiting around??!

by doing it their own way they aren't doing much..

everyone knows why they are fasttracking a Justice League film so why not go all the way and do what made it all a success for Marvel..

budgetary concerns weren't the reason Supes Returns and Green Lantern weren't good..

WhiteWitchKing
Warner Bros just wants to make money. First they don't have faith in characters other than Batman or Superman. Then when they decide to step out they decide to throw a lot of cash and hire popular stars to fill those shoes, instead of actors that fit well with their characters. The story was cheesy, the focus was on special effects, and make everything even worse they choose two bland villains.

Iron Man - Robert Downey, Jeff Bridges, Gwyneth Paltrow, Terrence Howard
Thor - Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston,
Anthony Hopkins, Idris Elba
Captain America - Chris Evans, Tommy Lee Jones, Hugo Weaving

Green Lantern - Ryan Reynolds, Blake Lively, Peter Sarsgaard, Mark Strong

Reynolds is nowhere near any of Marvel's lead in terms acting. Blake Lively is an actress they got off they TV network. Sarsgaard isn't close to Hiddelson, Weaving, or Bridges. Let's not even talk about that cloud named Parallax. Mark Strong was good but he wasn't a villain nor had much show time.

Batman was great because Nolan embraced the character. Warner Bros couldn't careless about their's. Such a poor way to approach their franchise.

Esau Cairn

There is one significant difference between Marvel & DC & this factor works to Marvel's advantage.

Most of Marvel's characters were invented by one person, Stan Lee.
Compare that to the fact that numerous writers/artists own the various characters that make up JLA....there is alot of red tape & negotiations that DC has to go through to get them all together on the big screen.

All Marvel has to do is chuck a couple of million Stan's way & that's the deal sealed.

DARTH POWER
by doing it their own way they aren't doing much..

Well yeah anything's better than just waiting around watching Marvel movies get bigger and bigger.

everyone knows why they are fasttracking a Justice League film so why not go all the way and do what made it all a success for Marvel..

Because it just won't work. It won't be something new, never seen before, like it was for Marvel. And the way they are going it will just seem like a Lame copy Imo.

If they want to imitate Marvel's success then they need to use their imagination, take risks and get ambitious and do completely new stuff like Marvel did.

budgetary concerns weren't the reason Supes Returns and Green Lantern weren't good..

No but they were the reasons those movies were seen as complete and utter failures. And those failures certainly slowed DC's big screen career down.

Who wants to move along when each step is losing you hundreds of millions of dollars?

BruceSkywalker
Well yeah anything's better than just waiting around watching Marvel movies get bigger and bigger.

Because it just won't work. It won't be something new, never seen before, like it was for Marvel. And the way they are going it will just seem like a Lame copy Imo.

If they want to imitate Marvel's success then they need to use their imagination, take risks and get ambitious and do completely new stuff like Marvel did.

No but they were the reasons those movies were seen as complete and utter failures. And those failures certainly slowed DC's big screen career down.

Who wants to move along when each step is losing you hundreds of millions of dollars?

true true

Hanaoka
the dark knight rises. the avengers are too predictable

johnnyfirday
go with the batman rises .. you will never see a movie like this before..... even after the heath ledger not in the movie ....

emmaellie19
Avengers was great movie....

singhadmin
lol

ollie north strikes again big grin

ya, fair enough. Dark Knight was worth seeing Ledger as Joker, Bale has been fairly commendable... though I'd love to know who came up with that voice.

EDIT: Acting in the Avengers was, comparatively, terrible, but that might have been more a reflection of the writing than the actors.

I like the avenger .

C-3POTheClever
I thought the Avengers was better.

Jefflaura
My vote is for Dark Night Rises, its amazing movie to watch ever time.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.