The Big Switch (Marvel & DC)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

byrdgang21
1. What Marvel hero would make for the best villain in DC?
2. What Marvel villain would make for the best hero in DC?
3. What DC hero would make for the best villain in Marvel?
4. What DC villain would make for the best hero in Marvel?

Please try to explain your choices

carver9
I think Surfer and Hulk would make a good JLA villain.

Magneto would make a good hero for any team in DC.

Odekahn

Hulk, Thor, or Silver Surfer

Green Goblin, Venom, or Magneto

Swamp Thing, Dr Fate, Batman

Black Adam, Sinestro, Zoom

janus77
Surfer - remorseless. cold hearted and shiny herald of death... He would pretty much require the entire JLA, and even then they wouldn't really be able to do anything other than keep him at bay for a while (intangibility and dimension shifting instantly).

The use of Cosmic Awareness to peer into their minds and to corrupt their souls or leave them stranded on some Astral plane would also be rather cool.

Doom, simple really. He is everything that Luthor wishes he was and, he has tasted more success and been genuinely pivotal to universal events. In DC he would make a fantastic role model for other non-super-powered types. A living testament to the power of will and intelligence.

He would probably be the king of some mythical land as well as leader of the UN or something, in DC.

Power Girl or Wonder Woman ... they bring some serious assets to villainy!

Ok, maybe Batman, because he'd be the dark-twin to Tony Stark. Driven, remorseless, cold and mentally disconnected from other humans. Wealth and tech beyond allied to a meticulousness in planning that would make him quite fearsome.

Penguin! Finally someone for Rhino to pound on!!!

-Pr-
Originally posted by carver9
I think Surfer and Hulk would make a good JLA villain.

Magneto would make a good hero for any team in DC.

Only if they got a massive amp, or the JLA were written down.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by -Pr-

thumb up

Harbinger
I think DC would do a much better job with a guy like Apocalypse than Marvel has.

I think Marvel would do a better job with a guy like Martian Manhunter than DC has.

pym-ftw
Pym, a genius and a great escape artist with a knack for building deathbots

Wendigo, a hero worried that if he scratched anyone they might turn into a monster

WonderWoman, a villian trying to right all the wrongs done to women

Sinestro, a herald level batman-type character trying to spread fear to clean up the cosmos

carver9
Originally posted by -Pr-

I'm talking about them at their standard power level.

Odekahn
I'm talking about them at their standard power level.

-Pr-'s point stands.

carver9
Originally posted by Odekahn
-Pr-'s point stands.

It really doesn't.

JakeTheBank
So standard level Hulk or Surfer could be a viable threat for the entire JLA?

pym-ftw
Hulk > Slade

He could give jla trouble

Should he? Well that's another debate

JakeTheBank
Slade also had prep and is a master tactician.

Digi
carver. what.

Surfer's more powerful than any one of them, maybe 2 or 3 if you choose the right ones. I can't speak to DCnU, but if you take, say, pre-Flashpoint Hal and Kal, Surfer loses. There's almost literally no one else versed in the characters that will disagree with me on that on KMC, and that includes a lot of comic knowledge.

carver9
Grundy, the General, Doomsday, all of these people have given the JLA fits and Hulk is by far stronger than them.

pym-ftw
@Jake

Do you think Slade with prep > WWH

JakeTheBank
With PIS, sure. Batman's damn near solo'd the League without prep and Slade can more or less replicate those kind of showings.

I certainly think that even without PIS, Slade could do a lot of damage to the League if he had the right resources and equipment to fall back on.

I don't see WWH soloing the Big Seven centric JLA roster, though. Not by a long shot.

pym-ftw
If the big six and a half wanna help banner and are trying to bring him in alive I can see hulk putting up a fight

Comic always have pis in them or flash and supes wouldn't need a jla or jsa

Rao Kal El
I was going to say Hulk, but then I remember that DC has a better version of Hulk.

Is called Doomsday, no Banner, no change, no internal organs, but a solid body of pure rage and hate big grin

On a serious note.

No one, there are already plenty of clones running on both companies.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by Digi
carver. what.

Surfer's more powerful than any one of them, maybe 2 or 3 if you choose the right ones. I can't speak to DCnU, but if you take, say, pre-Flashpoint Hal and Kal, Surfer loses. There's almost literally no one else versed in the characters that will disagree with me on that on KMC, and that includes a lot of comic knowledge.

I disagree with you on norrin but they'd have to change his characterization drastically

-Pr-
Grundy, the General, Doomsday, all of these people have given the JLA fits and Hulk is by far stronger than them.

With the benefit of PIS/CIS. Will Hulk be getting that too?

byrdgang21
I think that Blue Marvel would make a great villain in DC if they kept the same or similar back story of him being told to give up his superhero status because he was black. I could see he going into isolation for all those years then all of a sudden growing pissed with the government and comes back and just snaps. I think it would be interesting to see how all the other black heroes would respond.

And I think that Martian Manhunter would be a good villain in Marvel.

carver9
Originally posted by Digi
carver. what.

It depends on how you view and write these characters. The only reason I chose Hulk and Surfer is due to their unlimited potential. Surfer is a character that can do basically anything when he puts his mind to it...anything, so there are possibilities of him being a team wrecker in DC. Hulk is a physical specimen with no bounds as well. I haven't seen Surfer fight teams and actually do amazing against them (even though I still think he has the potential) but Hulk has consistently been a team buster. You don't agree with this?

ColossusGrundy
Best DC Hero to be a Marvel Villain? - Spectre... Who the heck's gonna stop him?

Best DC Villain to be a Marvel Hero? - Deathstroke could be the Batman character marvel is lacking.

Best Marvel Hero to be a DC Villain? - Spider-man would give low to mid tiers fits.

Best Marvel Villain to be a DC Hero? - Dr. Doom could take his place in the Justice League easily.

pym-ftw
Marvel has a heroic deathstroke

He's cap geek

ColossusGrundy
Originally posted by pym-ftw
Marvel has a heroic deathstroke

He's cap geek

Cap is by no means a heroic Deathstroke.

He has no killer instinct and is not ruthless like Deathstroke would be.

Apples and Oranges

Digi
It depends on how you view and write these characters. The only reason I chose Hulk and Surfer is due to their unlimited potential. Surfer is a character that can do basically anything when he puts his mind to it...anything, so there are possibilities of him being a team wrecker in DC. Hulk is a physical specimen with no bounds as well. I haven't seen Surfer fight teams and actually do amazing against them (even though I still think he has the potential) but Hulk has consistently been a team buster. You don't agree with this?

Not at all.

"A Green Lantern is a character that can do basically anything when he puts his mind to it. He wields the most powerful weapon in the universe and draws from a limitless source. GL have been shown as team-wreckers when let loose, have destroyed planets, etc."

"Superman is a character that can do basically anything when he puts his mind to it. He can and has overcome team-wrecker characters on numerous occasions by letting loose with his powers and strength."

"Thor is a character that can do basically anything when he puts his mind to it. He can absorb the physical and energy attacks against them and transfer them back to his opponent. He has taken on team-wreckers and Trans. beings and won."

"Flash is a character that can do basically anything when he puts his mind to it. He has stolen the speed, inertia, and ability to move from characters that can exceed lightspeed, can move fast enough to never be touched by any character not using the speed force, and can channel that speed into attacks that should invert reality. He can take down any number of heroes when let loose."

I could go on.

These guys all have their moment in the sun. They all take on numerous heralds at some point simultaneously and come out of it looking great. They almost all have planet-buster potential, nano or pico-second reaction times, FTL flight speeds, etc.

You frequently face strong reactions to your backing of Hulk. But it has nothing to do with Hulk himself, but the fact that these guys and others have similar feats pock-marked throughout comics for decades, and that you seem to focus only on the Hulk's feats. Each one of these guys has had team-buster moments, sometimes numerous ones. Most have planet-buster feats, or something that's the equivalent of it. Each one has either stalemated or beaten someone considered to be Trans.

I agree Surfer is potentially the most powerful single character among those mentioned. That's it. Allow for "best feats" for all, and Hulk never touches Superman or Flash, GL hurls him into the sun (or teleports him there, or shrinks him to the size of a thimble, or absorb his radiation, or...), and I'll grant you a Thor win, because Thor usually fights like an idiot and some of his more exotic powers aren't as useful against Hulk as they are against other characters. And if Surfer allows Superman into melee range, faces a GL who raises the bar Alan Scott-style, or gets tangled in Flash's kinetic stealing, he could lose to these guys as well. Hulk's relative newness at this level (he didn't have the feats to even sniff these guys until the last 5-6 years) also means he has less to draw from.

So could Hulk take on the JLA? Absolutely - writers love playing around with power levels for individual arcs, and teams have a tendency to dumb down their component parts, as opposed to solo books. But if he fought a good, KMC-style JLA, he'd have 3-4 characters running/flying circles around him, would be shrunk, immobile from lack of kinetic energy, gassed, assaulted by a planet-level telepath, would have heat-vision holes in his brain from 2-3 sources, and would soon find himself fighting in space or inside a sun. Shields that can withstand black holes would be shielding the team from any radiation, or GL could matter manip. it to something else. And none that would be so dumb as to brawl with him, except maybe Superman who could handle that encounter for quite a while, and possibly win it outright.

It's not that Hulk isn't powerful. He is, and he's capable of beating any of these guys if they don't fight well or if the encounter happens to go his way. But it's that a writer would need to willfully ignore powers to have him take on this particular team in its entirety. If everyone's willing to just test themselves against "SMASH" then they lose, not unlike, say, Despero (who also had high-level telepathy, granted).

I don't expect to convince you, but can you at least admit that it's not as clear-cut as you say?

PillarofOsiris
Originally posted by janus77
Surfer - remorseless. cold hearted and shiny herald of death... He would pretty much require the entire JLA, and even then they wouldn't really be able to do anything other than keep him at bay for a while (intangibility and dimension shifting instantly).

laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

pym-ftw
Originally posted by ColossusGrundy
Cap is by no means a heroic Deathstroke.

He has no killer instinct and is not ruthless like Deathstroke would be.

Apples and Oranges
No offence but that doesn't sound heroic

That's an anti-hero if anything
raver

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.