The Dark Knight Returns

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sindahouse
Anyone else aware of this??? I'm excited smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JMli3MopNs

ares834
The Dark Night Returns.... laughing out loud

Anyway, looks like it could be good. I've enjoyed Year One and Under the Red Hood so looking forward to this one.

spidermanrocks
I'm very hyped up for this film since I love the graphic novel. Looks like it will be as close to the book as possible just like Year One. It will be awesome big grin.

Kazenji
Great....video no longer there, copyright claim by viacom.

sindahouse
Damn youtube...
Here ya go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdtQVzJ3MEI

StiltmanFTW
Awesome, can't wait!

BruceSkywalker
will be buying

Kazenji
Ha...

Robocop voicing Batman.

Ridley_Prime
I thought something sounded familiar.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
will be buying

How many plot holes you reckon there'll be? wink

Juz kiddin'.

Loved Year One & now The Dark Knight Returns....

I hope making it 2 parts will do justice to the original.

Galan007
This movie was excellent. One of my favorite animated films yet.

Blight
I feel the same way. A good queue can be taken from the fact that they made it almost shot for shot the same. Maybe this should be done more....

I really wish they had taken those measures when they had made Superman: Doomsday. Would have been very different.

Kazenji
Damn....next month this is available.

solarpanel
The Dark Knight, returns to the big screen to save Gotham once again from the clutches of the Joker and his mischievous cronies.The Dark Knight, returns as a follow-up to Batman Begins, and this time the hero revisits with a new style and a new taste of cinematography.

Best Solar Power | Dimmable Led Light Bulbs | Energy Efficient LED Lighting

Esau Cairn
Unfortunately the 2 biggest disappointments for me was:

1) Like Year One (the animation) the actors simply read their dialogue in a monotone voice with hardly any emotion at all. Weller was a great choice for Bruce/Batman however he made no distinction at all whether he was talking to Gordon, the Mutant Leader or Carrie.

2) The feature sadly lacked alot of Miller's classic one liners, especially when it came to what Batman was thinking. I liked Miller's approach that Batman was slowly going senile & sadly the inner voice was missed in the animation.

StiltmanFTW
Great movie. Just one detail bothered me - didn't Bruce get kicked in the nuts by the Mutant Leader in the comic? Really hoped to see that in the film, too bad it didn't happen... sad

ankur29
anyone see part 2?

i thought it was pretty good.

Darth Martin
Will be buying this as I here it's even better than the first part. I read the book a while back and it didn't care for it.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by ankur29
anyone see part 2?

i thought it was pretty good.

I was under the impression part 2 was still due out later in the year, possibly Sept.

Are you saying you already have/saw part 2 or are you referring that part 1 was good?

Zack Fair
Part 2 is up for DL.

It was great. Better than the first.

-Pr-
For me, that was due to the larger cast, most of which was quality.

Galan007
Part II was a great, great(that's 2 "greats"wink film. Definitely my favorite animated comic-flick to date-- I give it 5/5 stars.

I was actually surprised DC allowed so much violence in this movie. That is likely what set it so far apart from anything else in the genre... Not to mention that the animation, storytelling, and voice actors were nearly perfect as well.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Galan007
I was actually surprised DC allowed so much violence in this movie.

Mutant Leader didn't kick Bruce in the nuts in part one sad

Haven't seen part two yet.

Darth Martin
It was good but this isn't better than Under the Red Hood.

Kazenji
Just watched Mike Matei's review of the two movies

http://cinemassacre.com/2013/02/06/dark-knight-returns-review-by-mike-contains-spoilers/

changed a few things from the graphic novel (Which i haven't read myself) and with that, some things with these animated movies seem confusing.

juggerman
Finally saw them both last night. Enjoyed them very much. Tho i never enjoy Supes losing to Bats

Silent_Bomber
I really, really hated this, seem to be in the minority though.

I enjoyed Year One a HELLUVA lot more.

juggerman
Haven't seen it yet. That good huh?

Silent_Bomber
Originally posted by juggerman
Haven't seen it yet. That good huh?
I liked it, it was much more grounded in reality than Dark Night Returns, and much more character driven (a lot of time was spent with Commissioner Gordon and his wife's relationship as they first move to Gotham).

Some Batman fans seem to think it boring, but I like some of these more grounded, less action-intensive stories from Batman, the ones with normal gangster villains, corruption etc.

Frankly Dark Knight Returns felt like a long sequence of "jumping the shark" scenes to me, and everybody seemed to act out of character IMO.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Silent_Bomber

You do realise that both TDKR & Year One animations were based on graphic novels, written by the same person?

juggerman
So he couldn't enjoy one story over the other?

Silent_Bomber
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
You do realise that both TDKR & Year One animations were based on graphic novels, written by the same person? I don't really understand the relevancy here, I don't have to automatically love or hate all things from the same writer confused

Also I haven't read the original TDKR, just seen the animated version, so I don't know if they created new problems not present in the original source material.

Esau Cairn
Well...straight up, my opinion's gonna be biased.
I was in my mid-twenties when the graphic novel was released & at the time it was considered & labelled as, "The very first comic, written for adults."
Frank Miller's rendition of The Batman was praised as "The Bible for the Batman Universe." Countless writers afterwards respected the notion that this would be how Batman's future would become & wrote their stories to hint both at his retirement & senility. Even Miller's "abstract" art was viewed as both a pleasant change & a challenge to the clean cut, conventional/cliched illustrations of other heroes at the time.

So to finally see an animated version that follows the storyline BUT tones down Batman's senility & suicidal monologue... is in my opinion
a bit of a disappointment but at the same time enjoyable & tame enough that I can watch it with my 7 yr old son & not deal with issues of "Why does Batman have a death-wish?"

juggerman

Gonna try to watch Year One tonight and it better be good!!!!!

How did you like Under the Red Hood?

steverules_2
I watched both parts together and did love them both, it was awesome

Badabing
Gonna try to watch Year One tonight and it better be good!!!!!

How did you like Under the Red Hood? I enjoyed Under the Red Hood. Definitely worth watching.Originally posted by steverules_2
I watched both parts together and did love them both, it was awesome mmm

sneer

steverules_2
uhuh

Silent_Bomber
How did you like Under the Red Hood? It was ok, but I didn't really enjoy it that much tbh.

Spent the whole film thinking the writer was trying to make a name for himself by retconing one of the most important Batman stories simply so that he could tell a very by-the-numbers story which didn't really add much to the Batman mythos in comparison to what it had undermined.

juggerman
It was ok, but I didn't really enjoy it that much tbh.

Spent the whole film thinking the writer was trying to make a name for himself by retconing one of the most important Batman stories simply so that he could tell a very by-the-numbers story which didn't really add much to the Batman mythos in comparison to what it had undermined.

The past was altered cuz of Superboy Prime shattering reality in the comic. They couldn't really go that route in the movie tho. BTW i saw Year One and enjoyed it very much tho i like the others better. Maybe it's cuz i like the Joker so much.

Darth Jello
So does this open the possibility of all of Miller's Batman being adapted? Spawn/Batman was pretty good. DK2 and All Star/Dark Knight Boy Wonder are more controversial though, what with these being the books where he really regressed into fascism.

Kazenji
Batman vs Predator?

steverules_2
Originally posted by Kazenji
Batman vs Predator?

I'd cream my pants no expression Literally

sindahouse
Originally posted by steverules_2
I'd cream my pants no expression Literally

That's disturbing, lol

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.