Weakest Character to beat Power Gem Thanos

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Damborgson
Who is the weakest character that can beat Thanos when he weakened himself to only using the power gem during the Infinity Gauntlet? And what majority would he/she take?

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/5/53031/1014851-the_infinity_gauntlet_04_29_super.jpg

psycho gundam
silver surfer, just flying from thanos' blind spot. he takes the gauntlet and then uses it on thanos

Nihilist
Galactus imo

Mephisto tried to take the gauntlet of his hand and failed

Jynocidus
WF Mxy

carver9
Odin

Damborgson
I was wondering...Adam had the abstracts at the ready when the heroes were fighting...You'd think he would have deployed them while Thanos was weakened or something.

carver9
Originally posted by Damborgson
I was wondering...Adam had the abstracts at the ready when the heroes were fighting...You'd think he would have deployed them while Thanos was weakened or something.

When was Thanos weakened?

Nihilist
Originally posted by carver9
When was Thanos weakened? when he depowered himself

carver9
Originally posted by Nihilist
when he depowered himself

I wouldn't call that weakened since he used the best gem out of the bunch which made him completely invulnerable. If the abstracts would have attacked, they probably would have failed at dropping him which would have resulted in him powering up.

Damborgson
Well compare it. With the IG going full strength he basically no sold all of the abstracts firing on him together. With the PG he was sent flying by hulk and drax.

Stoic
Galactus imo

Well this is where we have to disagree. Ha ha funny this time I'm repping Thanos, and you aren't. You losing your touch man? Thanos would kill Galactus IMO if he had possession of the Power gem. His blasts, TP, stength and any other offensive natural weapon would be increased by the amount that he willed himself to be. I mean without CIS or plot to nerf the true potential of what that gem is supposed to grant it's user Galactus would be beaten down nearly as bad as when Krona asked him the question.

Nihilist
I wouldn't call that weakened since he used the best gem out of the bunch which made him completely invulnerable. If the abstracts would have attacked, they probably would have failed at dropping him which would have resulted in him powering up. of course it made he weaker, it made him far Less powerful than when he faced the abstracts.

Thanos confirmed he greatly geared down his power lvls when talking to Captain America in Infinity War

psycho gundam
Galactus imo

Mephisto tried to take the gauntlet of his hand and failed only cause thanos tricked him. he didn't lower his senses or power, on the contrary he expanded them thanks to mephisto.

I wouldn't call that weakened since he used the best gem out of the bunch which made him completely invulnerable. If the abstracts would have attacked, they probably would have failed at dropping him which would have resulted in him powering up. to paraphrase: (upon seeing the cosmics .

Stoic
Originally posted by psycho gundam
only cause thanos tricked him. he didn't lower his senses or power, on the contrary he expanded them thanks to mephisto.

to paraphrase: (upon seeing the cosmics .

I thought Thanos toned it down drastically to put on a show for Mistress D? I mean before he did this and had full power of the gauntlet, didn't he kill Gladiator, and was clutching the Hulk by the throat as he too died? It was in a Silver Surfer comic I believe.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by Stoic
I thought Thanos toned it down drastically to put on a show for Mistress D? I mean before he did this and had full power of the gauntlet, didn't he kill Gladiator, and was clutching the Hulk by the throat as he too died? It was in a Silver Surfer comic I believe. the first part was from a silver surfer tie-in where mephisto tried to trick thanos into touching every mind in the universe in order to steal the gauntlet from his "mindless" body. he thought he was successful but then the gauntlet appeared to be acting on it's own and started chocking him and thanos revealed that he was on to him from the start

Black bolt z
Galactus imo

Mephisto tried to take the gauntlet of his hand and failed You're taking that out of context. There is also a big power gap between Galactus and Mephisto outsaide of his realm.Originally posted by Damborgson
I was wondering...Adam had the abstracts at the ready when the heroes were fighting...You'd think he would have deployed them while Thanos was weakened or something. Well, Adam didn't want to kill all the heroes...Originally posted by carver9
I wouldn't call that weakened since he used the best gem out of the bunch which made him completely invulnerable. If the abstracts would have attacked, they probably would have failed at dropping him which would have resulted in him powering up. He was weakened. At least from the power of the full IG.

I'd say Odin could come close, but no do it. Probably someone a little above Odin would be able to take it from him. RKT mabye?

carver9
Well compare it. With the IG going full strength he basically no sold all of the abstracts firing on him together. With the PG he was sent flying by hulk and drax.

That still doesn't take away from what I said though.

I also feel safe at saying that him withstanding attacks from those abstracts had a lot to do with the PG. None of the other gems makes you completely invulnerable.

Stoic

I also feel safe at saying that him withstanding attacks from those abstracts had a lot to do with the PG. None of the other gems makes you completely invulnerable.

According to the way that the gems work alone, and in tandem, this is correct.

Black bolt z

I also feel safe at saying that him withstanding attacks from those abstracts had a lot to do with the PG. None of the other gems makes you completely invulnerable. No, but they give you many abilities that the power gem does not. If it weren't for the time gem, Kronos would have just BFR'd Thanos to 10 million BC.

If it weren't for the reality gem, they could have just warped him out of existence.

If it weren't for the mind gem, I'm sure between the (what 12, was it?) abstracts attacking him, he would have been mindraped.

The power gem helped against the heroes, as they used mostly physical attacks. When fighting abstracts, as has been stated many times, you have to fight battles on much more than the physical plane.

So no, Thanos didn't choose the "best gem". Just the one that best fit his circumstances.

Damborgson

You're right that wasn't a good comparison by me.

The abstracts attack in a lot more than physical power though. Mistress love, sire hate, and abstract entities were trying very powerful methods that had little to do with physical durability. Without the gauntlet having him at full power the PG alone wouldn't have been enough in my opinion.

lannfear
I was under the impression that he used the ig at full power,but was tricked by mephisto into putting a show on for mistress death,so cut himself off from the sensory input of the gems(therefore not knowing what his opponents were doing,but still retainingthe power of the ig)...giving Thor etc a small chance at victory,less than 1% ..

Damborgson
Originally posted by lannfear
I was under the impression that he used the ig at full power,but was tricked by mephisto into putting a show on for mistress death,so cut himself off from the sensory input of the gems(therefore not knowing what his opponents were doing,but still retainingthe power of the ig)...giving Thor etc a small chance at victory,less than 1% ..

yep. He calculated that the heroes had about .05% chance of victory.

psycho gundam
there was a civil war in a couple threads on this topic a few years back, but i still stand by the belief that thanos still had use of the other 5 gems but just wasn't fully tapping their omniscience they can grant during his bout with Earth's heroes, otherwise he wouldn't have been able to do some of the things he did. for example he: banished hulk and drax in a time portal, he created some kind of rapid growth fungus to encase she-hulk and namor, he escaped cloak's inter-dimensional void, changed the volume/mass of his body (in the silver surfer tie-in), etc

carver9
You're right that wasn't a good comparison by me.

The abstracts attack in a lot more than physical power though. Mistress love, sire hate, and abstract entities were trying very powerful methods that had little to do with physical durability. Without the gauntlet having him at full power the PG alone wouldn't have been enough in my opinion.

The power gem doesn't just protect you from physical attacks, it protects your from "all" attacks made towards the physical body. Thanos in possession of the power gem was impervious to damage and the abstracts attacking him would have just pissed him off to the pint of powering up. Them staying in the shadows was their best bet. Surfer trying to steal the gem was their best bet.

Black bolt z
The power gem doesn't just protect you from physical attacks, it protects your from "all" attacks made towards the physical body. Thanos in possession of the power gem was impervious to damage and the abstracts attacking him would have just pissed him off to the pint of powering up. Them staying in the shadows was their best bet. Surfer trying to steal the gem was their best bet. Exactly. PHYSICAL. Abstracts attack in many more ways than physical, as I already showed.

carver9
Originally posted by Black bolt z
Exactly. PHYSICAL. Abstracts attack in many more ways than physical, as I already showed.

It protects the user from ALL harm and bfring Thanos isn't ending the threat, especially when he can teleport back to the battlefield under his own power. What can the abstracts do to Thanos is he is invulnerable from ALL attacks (which is what the powergem grants...complete resistance from all attacks).

Black bolt z
It protects the user from ALL harm and bfring Thanos isn't ending the threat, especially when he can teleport back to the battlefield under his own power. What can the abstracts do to Thanos is he is invulnerable from ALL attacks (which is what the powergem grants...complete resistance from all attacks). It doesn't do that. Otherwise all anyone would need is the power gem to rule the universe. As I already explained, its not the most powerful gem. Its just the only Thanos chose to fight the heroes, and was the best choice for that situation. To fight the abstracts he needed all the others.

DarkSaint85
Does it protect against mental attacks?

carver9
It doesn't do that. Otherwise all anyone would need is the power gem to rule the universe. As I already explained, its not the most powerful gem. Its just the only Thanos chose to fight the heroes, and was the best choice for that situation. To fight the abstracts he needed all the others.

It wouldn't make that person the most powerful in the universe but it would serve its purpose and make that person completely indestructible and that's exactly what it does. The heroes did everything possible to Thanos without even putting a scratch on his body and these wasn't push overs either. The power gem protects you from all types of harm which was the main reason Thanos choice to usr that gem vs the rest. The abstracts attacking him wouldn't have served a purpose since they wouldn't have stopped him. That's why a plan was devised, a plan for Surfer to snatch the gem off of his hands because they knew, even with him using one of the gems that there wasn't a way to stop him, let alone force the gem from his grip.

Black bolt z
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Does it protect against mental attacks? The power gem? I'm pretty sure it boosts all innate abilities. So it would boost his mental defense, but not nearly to the degree the mind gem would.

carver9
Does it protect against mental attacks?

Dont know...it should since it makes the user completely invulnerable. Has a gem user ever been attacked mentally?

Damborgson
The power gem doesn't just protect you from physical attacks, it protects your from "all" attacks made towards the physical body. Thanos in possession of the power gem was impervious to damage and the abstracts attacking him would have just pissed him off to the pint of powering up. Them staying in the shadows was their best bet. Surfer trying to steal the gem was their best bet. The abstracts were going a lot farther than physical. Which was the point of the other gems. Otherwise what was the point of the others? he'd have beaten them either way. After all who could destroy him if he's all powerful and invulnerable even with just the PG?

Black bolt z
Dont know...it should since it makes the user completely invulnerable. Has a gem user ever been attacked mentally? I think thanos once mindraped Moondragon when she had the mind gem, but I can't confirm that.

carver9
The abstracts were going a lot farther than physical. Which was the point of the other gems. Otherwise what was the point of the others? he'd have beaten them either way. After all who could destroy him if he's all powerful and invulnerable even with just the PG?

Just because the power gem makes you physically invulnerable, that doesn't mean that it gives you the power to stop all. The other gems gives you other abilities on top of your invulnerability.

Damborgson
Just because the power gem makes you physically invulnerable, that doesn't mean that it gives you the power to stop all. The other gems gives you other abilities on top of your invulnerability.

Yeah like protect the other parts that go beyond the physical.

Black bolt z
Just because the power gem makes you physically invulnerable, that doesn't mean that it gives you the power to stop all. The other gems gives you other abilities on top of your invulnerability. Originally posted by Damborgson
Yeah like protect the other parts that go beyond the physical. Which is why he needed the full gauntlet, not just the power gem, to beat the abstracts.

Carver, what are you even arguing here?

carver9
Yeah like protect the other parts that go beyond the physical.

Which wouldn't get past his true invulnerability. If it was as easy ad you are trying to make it, there really wouldn't have been a need for any abstracts since there were beings out there already that was beyond just physical attacks.

carver9
Which is why he needed the full gauntlet, not just the power gem, to beat the abstracts.

Carver, what are you even arguing here?

My argument is that if the Abstracts would have attacked, they would have failed and it would have resulted in Thanos powering up sooner than later.

Black bolt z
My argument is that if the Abstracts would have attacked, they would have failed and it would have resulted in Thanos powering up sooner than later. They would have failed if thanos had just had the power gem? Not the others?

DarkSaint85
I thought the Power gem gave you protection against physical attacks.

I count physical attacks to include being punched, kicked, blasted by energy beams (a la Surfer), transmutations (a la Sersi), physical spells etc.

Black bolt z

I count physical attacks to include being punched, kicked, blasted by energy beams (a la Surfer), transmutations (a la Sersi), physical spells etc. I was under the impression it boosted all the users innate powers (from durability, to strength, to energy blast power) and also boosted the power of the other gems when used in tandem.

carver9

I count physical attacks to include being punched, kicked, blasted by energy beams (a la Surfer), transmutations (a la Sersi), physical spells etc.

That's exactly what it does but they are not realizing this. If any of these things worked against a legit power gem user, then what's the point of having the gem since it doesn't make you invulnerable? WTF.

Black bolt z
That's exactly what it does but they are not realizing this. If any of these things worked against a legit power gem user, then what's the point of having the gem since it doesn't make you invulnerable? WTF. Because the power gem makes you more resistant to all of the above listed.

carver9
I was under the impression it boosted all the users innate powers (from durability, to strength, to energy blast power) and also boosted the power of the other gems when used in tandem.

It grants invulnerability but it also boosts that person stats to insane levels. It also boosts the other gems but of the main purposes of the gem is to make you invulnerable.

carver9
Because the power gem makes you more resistant to all of the above listed.

Thor didn't even know how to use the gem but him being in possession of it made him indestructible. Hell, it made him unstoppable to the point that he was considered a universal threat. Again, he wasn't even in full control of tapping into the power of the gem, he was just wearing it. Thanos had more control.

Black bolt z
It grants invulnerability but it also boosts that person stats to insane levels. It also boosts the other gems but of the main purposes of the gem is to make you invulnerable. I agree with this. But it would make you practically PHYSICALLY invulnerable. When the abstracts attacked Thanos, they did it on more than a physical level.

carver9
I agree with this. But it would make you practically PHYSICALLY invulnerable. When the abstracts attacked Thanos, they did it on more than a physical level.

So how would they have stopped him?

Black bolt z
So how would they have stopped him? If he had just used the power gem? As I already said. Throwing him 1 a million years into the past, warping him out of existence, mindraping him to complete insanity.

Abstracts attack on much more than the physical plane. When he fought the heroes, almost all their attacks were physical, so he little chance of being beaten.

Endless Mike
Read the comic. Chaos and Order try to "dichotomize" him. Kronos warps him in time. Sire Hate and Mistress Love try to mess with his emotions. Etc.

carver9
If he had just used the power gem? As I already said. Throwing him 1 a million years into the past, warping him out of existence, mindraping him to complete insanity.

Abstracts attack on much more than the physical plane. When he fought the heroes, almost all their attacks were physical, so he little chance of being beaten.

You are missing the point. Throwing him in the past wouldn't have worked since that would have given him the chance to power up. Warping him out of existence isn't working either. Everything you said minus sending him in the past wouldn't have worked.

Me and Damborgson argument was...he stated why didn't the Abstracts attack Thanos when he weakened himself. I told him that if they would ha e attacked, it wouldn't have served a purpose because it wouldnt have stopped him, which would have given him the time to power up.

Damborgson
Which wouldn't get past his true invulnerability. If it was as easy ad you are trying to make it, there really wouldn't have been a need for any abstracts since there were beings out there already that was beyond just physical attacks.

What wouldnt get past his true invulnerability? The power gem is a physical amp and protector. Doesnt say anytjing about the soul or other aspects of thanos that could have been exploted. Something else that I thought may have been the reason for keeping the abstracts in reserve was that reality just about collapsed when they fought thanos. Maybe Adam wanted to avoid the whole situation all together.

Black bolt z
You are missing the point. Throwing him in the past wouldn't have worked since that would have given him the chance to power up. Warping him out of existence isn't working either. Everything you said minus sending him in the past wouldn't have worked.

Me and Damborgson argument was...he stated why didn't the Abstracts attack Thanos when he weakened himself. I told him that if they would ha e attacked, it wouldn't have served a purpose because it wouldnt have stopped him, which would have given him the time to power up. But ti would have stopped him if he was just using the power gem. Forget throwing him into the past, why wouldn't mindraping or raping him to death work?

Think about it this way. Thanos with the full gauntlet (omniscient and omnipresent remember) said that the heroes had a .05% chance of beating him. You think the heroes would have a .05% chance of beating Galactus, 2 Celestials, Chaos and Order, the stranger, Kronos, Love and Hate, Death joined in later, and Eternity?

You really think the heroes would have had any chance whatsoever of beating them? If a bunch of heralds and below had a .05% chance of beating him with the power gem, why do the cosmics have no chance of beating him with the power gem alone.

abhilegend
Nemesis Kid.

h1a8
Galactus imo

He's not as fast as the Surfer.

Superman could beat Thanos by taking the gem from him.

h1a8
It protects the user from ALL harm and bfring Thanos isn't ending the threat, especially when he can teleport back to the battlefield under his own power. What can the abstracts do to Thanos is he is invulnerable from ALL attacks (which is what the powergem grants...complete resistance from all attacks).

If Thanos was invulnerable to all physical attacks then why did the comic say that the heroes have a .05 chance of winning? Why was Masterson and Hulk knocking him around like a rag doll?

Nihilist
Originally posted by psycho gundam
only cause thanos tricked him. he didn't lower his senses or power, on the contrary he expanded them thanks to mephisto.
Thats not the instance i was taling about. Iwas talking about whem Mephisto blasted him and had both hands on the gaunlet and said he was going to "relieve Him of his burden"

Nihilist
You're taking that out of context. There is also a big power gap between Galactus and Mephisto outsaide of his realm. There is no context to it and you dont know which incident im talking about.

The rest of your post makes no sense to this topic.

Nihilist
Originally posted by h1a8
He's not as fast as the Surfer.

Superman could beat Thanos by taking the gem from him. Just shut up you utter moron.

TheGodKiller
Originally posted by h1a8
If Thanos was invulnerable to all physical attacks then why did the comic say that the heroes have a .05 chance of winning? Why was Masterson and Hulk knocking him around like a rag doll?
Thanos gave them a chance(0.05%) to win . That's why .

lannfear
I'm puzzled. Is there a reference in another comic where it is stated that against the heroes in the ig Saga,thanos used only the power gem, because didn't thanos himself say something about cutting off sensory aspects of the gems,but retaining their power to be used,hence the limit he placed on himself was not being able to predict their moves,thus giving the heroes a token chance at winning . Obviously if he continued to limit himself against the abstracts,they would have a greater chance at victory,by how much though is pure speculation .

Damborgson
Just shut up you utter moron.

+1

Black bolt z
There is no context to it and you dont know which incident im talking about.

The rest of your post makes no sense to this topic. What doesn't make sense.

psycho gundam
why didn't the Abstracts attack Thanos when he weakened himself. cause it would have wrecked the universe. warlock wanted to use eternity's method as a last resort

ODG
Originally posted by lannfear
I'm puzzled. Is there a reference in another comic where it is stated that against the heroes in the ig Saga,thanos used only the power gem, because didn't thanos himself say something about cutting off sensory aspects of the gems,but retaining their power to be used,hence the limit he placed on himself was not being able to predict their moves,thus giving the heroes a token chance at winning . Obviously if he continued to limit himself against the abstracts,they would have a greater chance at victory,by how much though is pure speculation . No, there isn't another reference. Thanos used all the Infinity Gems.

Stoic
Originally posted by Endless Mike
Read the comic. Chaos and Order try to "dichotomize" him. Kronos warps him in time. Sire Hate and Mistress Love try to mess with his emotions. Etc.

Thanos would not need the power of the gems to stave off such an attack, even combined as it were. Do you recall his trip to the Nexus of Realities, and what was written about a lesser being not being able to survive it?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.