KMC Superhero/villain Types Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Newjak
I'm making this thread because we have a thread for defining power levels like Trans, Meta, Herald. I want to make a thread for Comicbook powerset types, like 'Brick', 'Speedster', 'Martial Artist', etc.

One reason being that I think it could be fun to see what as a board we can come up with for classes of superheroes and how many we can come up with, another is I think that sometimes we have a general assumption of what a term like brick is but it may not always be the same for everyone, and I think this could help new people on the board become more adapt at how we define things on KMC.

So what I would like is for people to give a type of powerset, define it, then give an example of characters that fall in it both low end or high end. Once I feel a general consensus is met I'll edit into the front pages.

Please don't go over Trans level beings when trying to define types of characters.

Example(This is not the definitive definition, it's just an example and open to debate):
Brick/Tank - A character possessing super levels of durability, and strength. Any other powers they have generally help with their physical nature as a front line fighter like a healing factor. They can possess some degree of super speed but often not much, and they are ground based and can not fly. They don't possess any ranged attacks other than what their strength provides them such as Thunder-Claps.

Low-range: Luke Cage
Mid-range: Thing, Rhino, Colossus
High-range: Mangog, Juggernaut, Hulk, The General(Shaggy-Man)

I'm going to sticky this to the top of the Vs Section because this is where the most attention is. If it's successful I'll move it over the Comic Book section and keep it there.

Newjak
Speedster - a Speedster would be someone who ONLY has superspeed or speed based abilities for a power. Much like a brick would be someone who is only strong and durable (for the most part). i.e. Superman would not count as a brick or a speedster. Neither would the SS. Even though both are as fast as many "speedsters".

Low: Quicksilver
Mid: Makkari
High: Zoom, Flash

Elementals - Characters who wield and manipulate a fundamental force of nature.

Low: Storm, Human Torch
Mid: Red Tornado
High: Magneto, Captain Atom, Iceman etc.

Time manipulators - The characters who can use their powers to manipulate time.
Low: Clock master
Mid: Hourman 1M, Chronos
High: Time-trapper, Immortus

Reality Manipulators These characters can manipulate the fabric of reality itself.
Low:?
Mid: The Doctor, Jenny quantum
High: Franklin Richards, True Legion, Mad Jim Jaspers, Mr. Mxyzptlk

Psionics - These characters can use TP/TK to affect minds and their enviornments.
Low: Hellion
Mid: Proffesor X, Emma Frost, Jean Grey, God like Cable
High: Starro, Shaman X-man Necrom.

Teleporter - People who possess the power to teleport either themselves or others.
Low: Nightcrawler
Mid:???
High: Blink

Flying Brick - Someone that possesses flight, super-strength, and increased durability. They also possess super-speed and can also have some form of energy based attack

Low-Level: ...
Mid-Level: Namor, Captain Britain
High-Level: Superman, Gladiator, Captain Marvel

Adapters - They are able to adapt to their opponents.
Low:???
Mid: Nimrod
High: Doomsday, The Fury

Newjak
Future use*

Newjak
*Future use*

Digi
Good luck. The tiers thread was closed years ago, so we technically don't have it anymore (at least not an updated one).

Scoobless
Not a versust thread.

Reported

no expression

Endless Mike
Energy manipulator: A character with powers usually involving the ability to project, control, and manipulate some kind of energy, sometimes multiple kinds. They often can have other powers but mostly rely on their energy powers.

Examples:

Low-range: Gambit, Wasp, Bishop (excluding his high-end feats)

Mid-range: Dr. Light, Invisible Woman, Magneto

High-range: Green Lanterns, Silver Surfer, Quasar

Gecko4lif
Magic user
mentalist
Realty warper

PillarofOsiris
IMO a Speedster would be someone who ONLY has superspeed for a power. Much like brick would be someone who is only strong and durable (for the most part). i.e. Superman would not count as a brick or a speedster. Neither would the SS. Even though both are as fast as many "speedsters".

low-range: Quicksilver

mid-range: Makkari

high-range: Zoom, Flash

psycho gundam
Originally posted by Newjak
I'm making this thread because we have a thread for defining power levels like Trans, Meta, Herald. I want to make a thread for Comicbook powerset types, like 'Brick', 'Speedster', 'Martial Artist', etc.

One reason being that I think it could be fun to see what as a board we can come up with for classes of superheroes and how many we can come up with, another is I think that sometimes we have a general assumption of what a term like brick is but it may not always be the same for everyone, and I think this could help new people on the board become more adapt at how we define things on KMC.

So what I would like is for people to give a type of powerset, define it, then give an example of characters that fall in it both low end or high end. Once I feel a general consensus is met I'll edit into the front pages.

Please don't go over Trans level beings when trying to define types of characters.

Example(This is not the definitive definition, it's just an example and open to debate):
Brick/Tank - A character possessing super levels of durability, and strength. Any other powers they have generally help with their physical nature as a front line fighter like a healing factor. They can possess some degree of super speed but often not much, and they are ground based and can not fly. They don't possess any ranged attacks other than what their strength provides them such as Thunder-Claps.

Low-range: Luke Cage
Mid-range: Thing, Rhino, Colossus
High-range: Mangog, Juggernaut, Hulk, The General(Shaggy-Man)

I'm going to sticky this to the top of the Vs Section because this is where the most attention is. If it's successful I'll move it over the Comic Book section and keep it there. no

Newjak
Originally posted by PillarofOsiris
IMO a Speedster would be someone who ONLY has superspeed for a power. Much like brick would be someone who is only strong and durable (for the most part). i.e. Superman would not count as a brick or a speedster. Neither would the SS. Even though both are as fast as many "speedsters".

low-range: Quicksilver

mid-range: Makkari

high-range: Zoom, Flash I agree speedsters are beings with only superspeed or speed based powers

Blair Wind
I like the idea of having something like this on KMC.

Here is a wikipedia list that could serve as a foundation:

EDIT: For some reason each time I try to link using the original URL it gets cut off and won't work. Weird.

Go here http://tinyurl.com/ng9ojh

Endless Mike
Originally posted by Blair Wind
I like the idea of having something like this on KMC.

Here is a wikipedia list that could serve as a foundation:

EDIT: For some reason each time I try to link using the original URL it gets cut off and won't work. Weird.

Go here http://tinyurl.com/ng9ojh

That list includes Haruhi sick

Harbinger
So Pietro's no longer amped by the Terrigan Mists, I take it?

the ninjak
Originally posted by Harbinger
So Pietro's no longer amped by the Terrigan Mists, I take it?

If he was he would be a beast.

abhilegend
Elementals: Characters who wield and manipulate a fundamental force of nature.
Low: Storm
Mid: Red Tornado
High: Magneto, Captain Atom, Iceman etc.

keiththegreat
We need a name a for characters like Superman, Hyperion, Gladiator, Supergirl, Supreme, Majestic, etc

Capes? the only problem is some characters wear capes who don't fit this mold.

psycho gundam
you just used their names, and we got the point. that was easy

Newjak
Originally posted by keiththegreat
We need a name a for characters like Superman, Hyperion, Gladiator, Supergirl, Supreme, Majestic, etc

Capes? the only problem is some characters wear capes who don't fit this mold. I've always called them brawlers cause that seems to be their niche as the take on any kind of threat. Although Super-Brawlers might be better. They possess super strentgh speed durability and flight. They often have some form of energy attack for long range. They often have high levels of resistence to different types of attacks which help in their role as front line fighter.

Superman is an example of high end.

Namor would be an example of mid range.

PillarofOsiris
I don't think I would put Namor in that grouping. He has a different power set entirely. Superman, Majestic, Hyperion, Gladiator, etc, are all super strong, durable, can fly, are super fast, have heat vision, etc. I've always called them "Superman Clones", although that's not the catchiest name I suppose. Namor on the other hand has no super speed, no heat vision, and can breath underwater (although some of the Superman Clones can too, I suppose). Also his power is tied to being wet.

Scoobless
Thought we always called Superman types "flying bricks"

Newjak
Originally posted by PillarofOsiris
I don't think I would put Namor in that grouping. He has a different power set entirely. Superman, Majestic, Hyperion, Gladiator, etc, are all super strong, durable, can fly, are super fast, have heat vision, etc. I've always called them "Superman Clones", although that's not the catchiest name I suppose. Namor on the other hand has no super speed, no heat vision, and can breath underwater (although some of the Superman Clones can too, I suppose). Also his power is tied to being wet. would you include captain marvel and black adam in this group even though they don't have heat vision?

And Scoobs I can see flying brick being a good one

Scoobless
Basic categories:

Brick
flying brick
speedster
elemental
Shape shifter
tech based
energy manipulator
psi
Teleporter
Magical

Then every category has low, mid, high.

Obviously some characters won't fit into a single category (martian manhunter for example) and could carry multiple tags, flying brick, shape shifter, psi... and some people will need a whole new category (Jack hawksmoor for example)

Gecko4lif
Dont see the need for shapeshifter

Scoobless
So where would you file away people like sandman, reed richards, mystique, giant man, plastic man, morph, beast boy, skrulls, etc, etc?

Lek Kuen
Originally posted by Scoobless
Basic categories:

Brick
flying brick
speedster
elemental
Shape shifter
tech based
energy manipulator
psi
Teleporter
Magical

Then every category has low, mid, high.

Obviously some characters won't fit into a single category (martian manhunter for example) and could carry multiple tags, flying brick, shape shifter, psi... and some people will need a whole new category (Jack hawksmoor for example)

Should be one for Martial Artists for people without notable levels of super powers who fight through martial arts and melee weapons.

Scoobless
Think this list is just for power types, so I guess they would go under "non powered character"

Blair Wind
We need to start with the broadest ranges of power types and then classify under them.

In my opinion, these three would be the broadest:

Powers (meaning they mutated or were born with the power)
Tech & Training
Magical

Those three categories cover pretty much any variation of the power-sets characters possess. From there you can classify types. And people might cross over (Batman being a Martial Artists and a Gadget user for example). Just as an example - and these rankings are just randomly thrown in. Not to be taken as accurate power levels.

Powers

Elemental Control:
Low: Light Lass
Mid: Storm, Red Tornado, Black Lightning
High: Magneto, Iceman, Captain Atom

Tech & Training

Power Suit
Low: Vulture
Mid: Iron Man, Steel, Lex
High: Nova Prime

Martial Artists
Low: Black Widow, Catwoman
Mid: Robin, Wild Cat, Moon Knight
High: Batman, Lady Shiva, Taskmaster

Magical

Spell Casting
Low: ??
Mid: ??
High: Dr. Strange, Dr. Fate

the ninjak
I say flying brink award goes to Supes.

-Pr-
Red Tornado is well above Storm and Black Lightning. no expression

For magical, Water Hand Aquaman would be mid range, probably.

Blair Wind
Originally posted by -Pr-
Red Tornado is well above Storm and Black Lightning. no expression

For magical, Water Hand Aquaman would be mid range, probably.

Did you read what I wrote? no expression

Lek Kuen
We need to start with the broadest ranges of power types and then classify under them.

Tech & Training
Magical

Those three categories cover pretty much any variation of the power-sets characters possess. From there you can classify types. And people might cross over (Batman being a Martial Artists and a Gadget user for example). Just as an example - and these rankings are just randomly thrown in. Not to be taken as accurate power levels.

Powers

Elemental Control:

Tech & Training

Power Suit

Martial Artists

Magical

Spell Casting
High: Dr. Strange, Dr. Fate

Sounds good

-Pr-
Did you read what I wrote? no expression

I did; I was being a dick.

Scoobless

Guess nothing changed in my absence.

stick out tongue

abhilegend
What do you become when not being a dick? On another note, don't tell me.

Newjak

Tech & Training
Magical

Powers

Elemental Control:

Tech & Training

Power Suit

Martial Artists

Magical

Spell Casting
High: Dr. Strange, Dr. Fate I see where you are coming from.

Just to ask though where would you place Captain Marvel and Superman?

They possess very similar powersets and abilities.

Would you make one Natural Flying Brick under powers and the other Magical Flying Brick under magical or what would you do?

Newjak
So where would you file away people like sandman, reed richards, mystique, giant man, plastic man, morph, beast boy, skrulls, etc, etc? Personally I would call Reed Richards and Plastic Man 'Stretchers' stick out tongue

People like Giant-Man, The Atom, Ant-Man 'Growers/Shrinkers'

Someone like Mystique, Morph I would call a 'Shape-Shifter'. I could see Beat-Boy one as well.

Scoobs would you place people like Namor and Captain Britain in the Flying Brick category?

Also I've added Speedster, and Elemental to the Power types on the front page since no seemed to disagree with them. I'm not tossing B-Dub's idea out either I'm just adding stuff until I see where it goes fully and then I can change the front page to match if everyone likes it.

Scoobless
I use shape shifter as a general term for anyone who can manipulate the shape or size of their body. Sub categories can develop from case to case.

If you get too specific about power types then you're going to need a hundred different categories.

Yes, I'd call those guys flying bricks, like manhunter britain could have more than one category tag.

abhilegend
Time manipulators: The characters who can use their powers to manipulate time.
Low:Clock master
Mid:Hourman 1M, Chronos

Reality Manipulators: These characters can manipulate the fabric of reality itself.
Mid:The Doctor, Jenny quantum
High:Franklin Richards, True Legion, Mad Jim Jaspers, Mr. Mxyzptlk

Psionics: These characters can use TP/TK to affect minds and their enviornments.
Low:Aquaman, Hellion
Mid:Proffesor X, Martian Manhunter, Emma Frost, Jean Grey, God like Cable
High: Despero, Starro, Shaman X-man, Phoenix Avatars, Necrom.

pym-ftw
Bricks
Strength and durability, powers are secondary to physical combat
Think Grundy and Juggs

flying bricks
Strength , Durability, Flight, secondary Powers
Think BA and Namor

Elites
Versatile as ****
Think Surfer, Thor, GL

Telepaths
Main offence is Tp/TK
Think Cable and Martian Manhunter

Prep guys/Gawds (Tech Guys)
With prep they can move full tiers in power
Think Doom and Richards

Sorcery types
Magic is there main form of Offence/Defence
Think Strange and Fate

Martial artist
Much like bricks but usually less tanky
Think iron fist and Champion

Newjak
I use shape shifter as a general term for anyone who can manipulate the shape or size of their body. Sub categories can develop from case to case.

If you get too specific about power types then you're going to need a hundred different categories.

Yes, I'd call those guys flying bricks, like manhunter britain could have more than one category tag. I'm ok with tons of categories, part of the idea of this thread is to see how many good ones we can come up with.

But I can see where you are coming from and we might start working off of B-Dub's idea of doing the broadest categories possible then breaking them down further.

Newjak
Originally posted by abhilegend
Time manipulators: The characters who can use their powers to manipulate time.
Low:Clock master
Mid:Hourman 1M, Chronos

Reality Manipulators: These characters can manipulate the fabric of reality itself.
Mid:The Doctor, Jenny quantum
High:Franklin Richards, True Legion, Mad Jim Jaspers, Mr. Mxyzptlk

Psionics: These characters can use TP/TK to affect minds and their enviornments.
Low:Aquaman, Hellion
Mid:Proffesor X, Martian Manhunter, Emma Frost, Jean Grey, God like Cable
High: Despero, Starro, Shaman X-man, Phoenix Avatars, Necrom. I like Time Manipulators and Reality Manipulator

If no one complains I'll add them later.

But for Psionics you have a lot of guys that have other powers like Martian Manhunter, Aquaman. You think they might fall into their own category cause of that?

abhilegend
I like Time Manipulators and Reality Manipulator

If no one complains I'll add them later.

But for Psionics you have a lot of guys that have other powers like Martian Manhunter, Aquaman. You think they might fall into their own category cause of that?
Yeah, you should remove them from these categories.

abhilegend
Power absorbers/Copier: These characters can either absorb/copy powers from other characters and use it for their own.
Low: Rogue
Mid: Parasite
High: Amazo, Black Alice

Electricity manipulators: These guys can generate high level of electricity for their purposes and sometimes manipulate it.

Low: Berzerker
Mid: Static
High: Black Lightning

Gravity manipulators: These guys can manipulate gravity to their own purposes.
Low: Harry Leland, Terra
Mid: Geo-Force
High: Graviton

You should also add characters to pre-existing categories.

Newjak
Power absorbers/Copier: These characters can either absorb/copy powers from other characters and use it for their own.

Electricity manipulators: These guys can generate high level of electricity for their purposes and sometimes manipulate it.

You should also add characters to pre-existing categories. I've added the ones from the previous day to the front. I'll try and the other ones sometime later today.

Sorry for the infrequent updates I've moved to a new apartment and I don't have Internet so I'm trying to take care of this right at work.

-Pr-

You should also add characters to pre-existing categories.

i hope those are just examples, and not actually where you rate those people.

abhilegend
i hope those are just examples, and not actually where you rate those people.
Just a rough estimation.

abhilegend
I've added the ones from the previous day to the front. I'll try and the other ones sometime later today.

Sorry for the infrequent updates I've moved to a new apartment and I don't have Internet so I'm trying to take care of this right at work.
No problems boss.

-Pr-
Just a rough estimation.

About as rough as an assault by Mindset.

Newjak
About as rough as an assault by Mindset. That's just brutal man

abhilegend
Telling from experience?

-Pr-
That's just brutal man

======

Telling from experience?

Of course. I'm just one of the few escapees.

abhilegend
======

Of course. I'm just one of the few escapees.
Why don't I believe you?
hmm
mhmm

Of course because you're a ginger.pr

-Pr-
Why don't I believe you?
hmm
mhmm

Of course because you're a ginger.pr

http://i.imgur.com/8OmEX.jpg

abhilegend
http://i.imgur.com/8OmEX.jpg
I'm calling bada on your tyranny.

Scoobless
How a about a "no impact powers" category for characters whose powers are only beneficial defensively or for information gathering.

Eg: Daredevil, Cypher, lila chenney, doorman, mr Immortal, etc.

Newjak
How a about a "no impact powers" category for characters whose powers are only beneficial defensively or for information gathering.

Eg: Daredevil, Cypher, lila chenney, doorman, mr Immortal, etc. NOt a bad idea.

I have one to be judged.

Teleporter - People who possess the power to teleport either themselves or others.

High:Blink

Newjak
Added teleporters to the main page

Badabing
Added teleporters to the main page How do you think characters like Mirror Master or Spot should be labeled?

Blair Wind

Eg: Daredevil, Cypher, lila chenney, doorman, mr Immortal, etc.

No. Too broad; too many people fit under that umbrella. Those are all separate powers like enhanced senses, innate translation, immortality, etc.

Newjak
No. Too broad; too many people fit under that umbrella. Those are all separate powers like enhanced senses, innate translation, immortality, etc. Agreed
Originally posted by Badabing
How do you think characters like Mirror Master or Spot should be labeled? What do you guys think about this?

Scoobless
No. Too broad; too many people fit under that umbrella. Those are all separate powers like enhanced senses, innate translation, immortality, etc.

I was trying to be broad, IMO its better to have a easily manageable number of categories, with broad ranges, then devide into subcategories for more specific powers.

guess we're just on different wavelengths.

byrdgang21
Maybe you can call charachters like Superman, Gladiator, Sentry, Silver Surfer, Manhunter & Captain Marvel somethinng like "versatiles" because they seemingly possess powers from all categories (super strength, super speed, flight, energy projection, etc)

Then you can keep characters like Namor, Wonder woman & Capt Britain listed as "flying bricks"

Newjak
Originally posted by byrdgang21
Maybe you can call charachters like Superman, Gladiator, Sentry, Silver Surfer, Manhunter & Captain Marvel somethinng like "versatiles" because they seemingly possess powers from all categories (super strength, super speed, flight, energy projection, etc)

Then you can keep characters like Namor, Wonder woman & Capt Britain listed as "flying bricks" Perhaps but I feel like while Namor and CB don't have superspeed on par or remotely close to those other guys, compared to a human they do have super speed thanks to their flight.

And beings like Namor also have energy projection, in that he has been shown to generate electricity.

TheGodKiller
Newjak , why isn't there a mod title under your avy ? Is that something only globals can have ?

Newjak
Originally posted by TheGodKiller
Newjak , why isn't there a mod title under your avy ? Is that something only globals can have ? Apparently it has to be manually added and Raz hasn't done it yet, but I'll get one... eventually no expression

By the way I'm thinking of adding the category Flying Brick to the front page soon.

dynamix
Great thread Newjak. So the criteria is that the specific category has to be their main powerset?

Newjak
Thanks dyna. Something like that.

For instance Blink, Nightcrawler are all teleporters and that is their only powerset so they are under the Teleporter category.

Here is my description for Flying Bricks

Flying Brick - Someone that possesses flight, super-strength, and increased durability. They also possess super-speed and can also have some form of energy based attack

Low-Level: ...
Mid-Level: Namor, Captain Britain
High-Level: Superman, Gladiator, Captain Marvel

Let me know if you guys think it fits.

I also had an idea for another called Technopath for people like Cyborg Superman, and Danger.

dynamix
gotcha. thanks.

And when i think of "Flying Bricks" i definitely see most of characters listed being on that list. Mainly the cats with capes and flight and strength...ultimately the "all arounder".

Blight
NOt a bad idea.

I have one to be judged.

High:Blink Would Mid be something like Gateway? He can teleport better than Nightcrawler in that he can teleport them very far and teleport people as well.

FOOM
I think a more appropriate name for "flying bricks" is 'paragons".
Flight + strength + invulnerability + some degree of super speed + (sometimes) a long range blast = Paragon

Newjak
Originally posted by FOOM
I think a more appropriate name for "flying bricks" is 'paragons".
Flight + strength + invulnerability + some degree of super speed + (sometimes) a long range blast = Paragon That's not a bad idea imo.

But would you think someone like Silver Surfer fits the Paragon definition more?

I added Flying Brick to the front page but should we decide to change the name to Paragon or something else it's a quick change

Sin I AM
Kratos vs spawn

Existere
This feels like an exercise in futility.

Although...

I guess I feel like rather than creating broad classes that can be broken up into high/medium/low, you should break it up into meta, herald and street and come up with classes within those.

Herald could be something like magic/tech/cosmic/innate, stuff that amounts to broad categories or something.

Meta could be more specific, with bricks/energy manipulators/psychics... etc.

TheOneFirestorm
Adapters: They are able to adapt to their opponents.
Doomsday, The Fury, Nimrod

Newjak
Added Adaptors to the front page

TheHulk
I admit Newjak what you are dong here is quite cool and useful i always thought of making a thread defining a characters powerset!

SevenShackles
How would Caiera be classified? Her old power is pretty much artificial power cosmic and I'm pretty sure you know it's application. She's strong, durable and fast enough to fight the hulk as well.

Always been curious on how to define her, also whatever she's classified as should be applied to her sons I'd imagine.

TheHulk
Originally posted by SevenShackles
How would Caiera be classified? Her old power is pretty much artificial power cosmic and I'm pretty sure you know it's application. She's strong, durable and fast enough to fight the hulk as well.

Always been curious on how to define her, also whatever she's classified as should be applied to her sons I'd imagine. True. I don't even know how to answer you sad

Eel O'Brien
Thought we always called Superman types "flying bricks"

Since a lot of people reference them as "Superman Types" or "Superman Clones" couldn't they be classified at "Supes"?

Dolos
Superman should be a trans-herald 'Evolver' Class.

A few other beings evolve, they are like Adapters, except Superman's evolution is the result of random mutations from yellow sunlight as oppossed to his opponents.

He's also an anomalous brick/speedster hybrid, he is among the top notch of super hero hierarchy in today's depiction of the Man of Steel. He could rival the ferocity of his former comic dom depiction in the 60s and 70s.

Branlor Swift
ugh

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Dolos
Superman should be a trans-herald 'Evolver' Class.

A few other beings evolve, they are like Adapters, except Superman's evolution is the result of random mutations from yellow sunlight as oppossed to his opponents.

He's also an anomalous brick/speedster hybrid, he is among the top notch of super hero hierarchy in today's depiction of the Man of Steel. He could rival the ferocity of his former comic dom depiction in the 60s and 70s. Get the **** Out
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x89/edwardbayntun/gifs/thrown-off-a-cliff.gif

JakeTheBank
Superman doesn't evolve new powers in the middle of a fight. no expression

Newjak
Originally posted by Eel O'Brien
Since a lot of people reference them as "Superman Types" or "Superman Clones" couldn't they be classified at "Supes"? That's not a bad idea.

jitay
what about those who can speak to/control tech
or will they all be under tech?
and healers though whether for self(Deadpool) or others (Elixir) im not sure
theres also acrobats
and would scarlet witch class as magic or energy manipulation
speaking of Magik she teleports through some sort of magic so what would that be
and people like vision as well

nannasin28
it is some characters wear capes who don't fit this mold.

hgjmdhgjdhu
I agree speedsters are beings with only superspeed or speed based powers http://www.glpp.info/hu7l.jpg

Rao Kal El
I am not sure if here is the proper thread to talk about this, but here it goes.

Something I have noticed is that people tend to base power levels based on the brutality of an attack.

For example Sentry ripping Ares, is not that Sentry in siege is defacto more powerful tha Thor just because He rip Ares body is just that BOTH characters have the potential to do it, just one decides to not hold back and he is being brutal about it.

Hulk for example is a brutal character, everything he does is brutal because he is just mad, wolverine is another character who tends to look brutal.

Ultraman, Superboy Prime, those are character who do not have the self restraining rules like others and to top it off they are just brutal.

In many cases they end up looking more powerful than their piers, but imo they are just being displayed in a brutal manner.

It does not mean that characters that are more self restrained like Thor or Silver surfer or Superman cant do those feats, it is just that this characters are not brutal with them. They could even go all out and still the brutal character ends up with the more shocking feat and it has nothing to do with power level but with how brutal or self restrained a character could be.

To give an example of this.

Imagine comparing the brutality of mike tyson vs the finesse of Ali.

Or the brutality that characterize Kimbo Slice in his you tube fights and his success in MMA vs the success of a less "brutal" and more technical George St pierre.

Badabing
Originally posted by Rao Kal El
I am not sure if here is the proper thread to talk about this, but here it goes.

Something I have noticed is that people tend to base power levels based on the brutality of an attack.

For example Sentry ripping Ares, is not that Sentry in siege is defacto more powerful tha Thor just because He rip Ares body is just that BOTH characters have the potential to do it, just one decides to not hold back and he is being brutal about it.

Hulk for example is a brutal character, everything he does is brutal because he is just mad, wolverine is another character who tends to look brutal.

Ultraman, Superboy Prime, those are character who do not have the self restraining rules like others and to top it off they are just brutal.

In many cases they end up looking more powerful than their piers, but imo they are just being displayed in a brutal manner.

It does not mean that characters that are more self restrained like Thor or Silver surfer or Superman cant do those feats, it is just that this characters are not brutal with them. They could even go all out and still the brutal character ends up with the more shocking feat and it has nothing to do with power level but with how brutal or self restrained a character could be.

To give an example of this.

Imagine comparing the brutality of mike tyson vs the finesse of Ali.

Or the brutality that characterize Kimbo Slice in his you tube fights and his success in MMA vs the success of a less "brutal" and more technical George St pierre. Originally posted by -Pr-
Clarification of CIS

Ok people, here are the finalised rules as regards PIS, CIS, and everything related to it.

PIS is, as always, off unless the thread starter says it's ON.

CIS, as was said before, is now a more diverse term, but is not as vague as before.

While CIS still exists in the form of characters like Rhino (who are just too stupid to know better), it also exists in one other form.

This is known as Character Inhibited Power. This applies to characters that have intelligence, like the Silver Surfer, Superman, and so on and so forth.

As Bada said:

"It's a self imposed limitation in certain circumstances which there is concern for civilians and buildings for the most part. It's not stupidity, it's a limitation set until the threat exceeds a certain threshold."

What this means is that people like the Surfer and Superman and so on will not use the full extent of their powers if it will endanger civilians. It doesn't, though, mean they will fight like idiots. The character's personality is an integral part of the match and dictates how they will perform. This is the crux of the rules we've come up with. It doesn't come down to powers, it comes down to the man or woman that weilds them.

In accordance with this, several factors come in to play in debates:

The Opponent, Basic Information, the Arena and the Character's Personality and Experience

Those four are key.

Example:

If Martian Manhunter fights say, Juggernaut.

MM doesn't personally know Juggernaut (Opponent). So he has Basic Information. This is categorised as being what the general public would know about the Juggernaut. It goes by averages. If that average man or woman on the street knows that Juggernaut is super strong, then MM knows. The average man or woman doesn't know, however, that the Juggernaut is weak against psionics. J'onn would approach with caution, not knowing whether Juggernaut was in his weight class, and not knowing the full extent of the man's powers.

However. If Martian Manhunter went up against Amazo, he would know to go for broke right at the start, because he KNOWS Amazo (Personality and Experience). He will use his speed, his strength, his shapeshifting. This is because if he knows what it takes to bring down Amazo, or he believes his standard attacks won't work. If J'onn was fighting Juggernaut, there would come a point when he would realise that normal attacks won't work, and would up his game. Any character that doesn't suffer from Rhino-esque stupidity is capable of this. Even with this, though, the Arena comes in to play. If civilians are in danger, J'onn won't shapeshift in to a fire breathing dragon. Juggernaut on the other hand doesn't care, so wouldn't hesitate to toss cars and trucks full of civilians at the Martian.

Examples:

Thor knows he can't out-brawl Hulk, so uses exotic powers sooner than he would against the likes of Superman, as Superman is an unknown to him.

Superman would go all out against Doomsday or Despero because he knows how powerful they are. Against the Hulk, he's going to take a few punches before realising he'll have to use something rather than slugging it out. He won't bathe the street in heat vision either, because there are civilians nearby.

It ALL comes down to the CHARACTER, not the POWERSET. thumb up

Also, Cap 2 >>> Thor 2. It's now canon for this thread.

Mindset
A+ work.

thumb up

Rao Kal El
Originally posted by Badabing
thumb up

Also, Cap 2 >>> Thor 2. It's now canon for this thread.

thumb up

Rao Kal El
Originally posted by Mindset
A+ work.

thumb up

Ass kisser

Mindset
Originally posted by Rao Kal El
thumb up Originally posted by Rao Kal El
Ass kisser

A+ work.

thumb up

Rao Kal El
A+ work.

Ass kisser Originally posted by Mindset
A+ work.

thumb up

thumb up

Wonder Man
I think Frenzy is a brick

TheLordofMurder
For the Adapter Class, you have listed:

Low:??
Mid: Nimrod
High: Doomsday, Fury

For Low, I propose standard Sentinels...

TheLordofMurder
For Magic Users, you have listed:

High: Dr Strange, Dr Fate...

I would nominate:

Low: Standard Vampire, Standard Demon...
Mid: Dr Doom, Dracula...
High: Loki...

Not sure where I'd place Zatanna; she (IMHO) ranks above Doom and Dracula, but below Loki, Strange, and Fate...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.