Retrospective: Contra Shattered Soldier

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
IMO, this is an underrated game...

When it was released, it received criticism based on everything from lack of a spread gun, no weapons pickups, not enough stages, too much of an emphasis on boss fights.. Basically, it alienated the purists, and didn't really do much to capture casuals.

Yet, I'd kill for a good sequel on modern hardware.. I "like" that you have all weapons, at all times, and need to know when to use them.. It's sort of the equivalent of how some RTS games like the Total War series cuts out the boring "Build up phase", and cuts right to the strategy combat segments. And it's the only side scrolling Contra that you can kill 10-20 minutes or so on, make some progress, and put it away to do other things.. I'm past the point of "Marathon gaming sessions", so for me that's a pretty strong selling point..

One thing I don't understand at all, is some reviewers criticized the visuals.. Really? It looks pretty slick to me, for an earlier PS2 title.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.