Current Gen Console Discussions (PS5, Xbox Series X, Switch (Pro?) OFFICIAL THREAD

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Barker
Can this be a thing, Lana?

Wii U comes out in just over two months, I think we all know about it by now. It's got a controller with a screen and roughly the power of a PS3 or 360, and some people are debating wether or not it should be considered next-gen. A crippled bundle starts at $300 USD and the real bundle is $350, which is a little high IMO.

Xbox 720 (Durango) kits are in the hands of developers right now and rumors and common sense point to an E3 2013 announcement and Holiday 2013 release.

Playstation 4 is sort of the big mystery and Sony seems focused on that inane 10-year life-cycle, which means it could be a few years before anything is even known about PS4.

Mainly I just wanted to start a thread about Wii U to ask if anyone has any remote interest in it, because I think it's going to bomb. haermm

BlackZero30x
It's pre-ordered! I'm fairly excited for this system! The Deluxe comes with an HDMI cable, a game, tablet Wiimote, (supposedly) a second tablet Wiimote, a game, and some accessory's for the tablets. Until I hear things about the 720 and the ps4 (that aren't just rumors) Im not excited for them. As the rumors make both sound dumb.

The thing Im excited for is the new tablet controllers. I wont have play split screen in multiplayer and if someone wants to watch TV I no longer have to rush to a save point. Its got the graphics and some interesting innovations. The only thing that I see holding this back is the game selection and not having very good console exclusive titles. The Arkham City armored edition looks really fun for the WiiU because of some of the exclusive features. Since I have done everything on Arkham City on the Xbox I won't be getting it.....well at least until its been out for a long time.

Anyways I want Mario, the next Epic Mickey, and ZombiU looks good!

Peach
Next Xbox will be more likely a E3 2013 announcement and fall 2014 release. They nearly always announce a year before release.

I ordered a Wii U, but...eh...I'm probably not going to get it. I'm really not all that excited or impressed, I just wanted to make sure that if I did decide I wanted it, I could get it.

Smasandian
Well, the 360 was announced and then released 6 months later so you knows when the console will be released after an announcement.

I have no interest in the Wii U. I've been burned by Nintendo console the past two generations so I have no reason to believe that I will be happy with it.

So I'm probably going to get the next XBOX, and then when the price drops, get the next Sony console.

Nibedicus
Getting all the consoles as soon as they've been released at least half a year and been thoroughly tested for bugs. Don't really know much about each system but there have (thru the years) console exclusives that have made me want to buy each of the systems eventually.

Ushgarak
I'm going for the Wii U. The 3DS software library has been poor but I'm willing to give another go for a big Nintendo release. If it fails, I'll bug out of consoles entirely, most likely, as I was always primarily a PC guy.

BackFire
Right now I have no interest in the Wii U. Maybe in a few years when a proper Zelda or Mario game is released I'll pick one up.

Tzeentch._
I could give less than a shit about the Wii-U.

Their plethora of 1st part games that I've played a thousand times over the years (Mario, Zelda specifically) aren't exciting to me at all.

The only game I might be interested in from Nintendo is a new FPS Metroid game. Otherwise, they need to step their 3rd party game up.

As well, not interested in their gimmicky control/TV.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Tzeentch._

Their plethora of 1st part games that I've played a thousand times over the years (Mario, Zelda specifically) aren't exciting to me at all.

The only game I might be interested in from Nintendo is a new FPS Metroid game. Otherwise, they need to step their 3rd party game up.

Bayonetta 2. Exclusive to Wii U.

They have stepped up their 3rd party softwate.

Zack Fair

thumb up

Gave up all things Nintendo after my Gamecube became a paper weight. I figured same shit would happen with the Wii and I was right, so I'm skipping this one too because it had all the red herrings the previous console has plus its going to be outdated spec-wise in 1 or 2 years when the next-gen Xbox and PS3 comes out. Feels like a big waste of time to me.

I'll probably skip the PS3/360 next-gen consoles because my PC will probably be superior to them. My unhealthy obsession with Halo will probably get me to buy an xbox in the end. Hope it takes a while before it gets released so the hardware is fully tested and I don't get involved in another RoD fiasco.

Peach
Any PC that you put any effort into will be better than any console. That's just kind of how it works, as PCs are upgradeable and consoles really aren't.

Also, Bayonetta 2 will not be a system-seller.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Zack Fair
thumb up

Gave up all things Nintendo after my Gamecube became a paper weight. I figured same shit would happen with the Wii and I was right, so I'm skipping this one too because it had all the red herrings the previous console has plus its going to be outdated spec-wise in 1 or 2 years when the next-gen Xbox and PS3 comes out. Feels like a big waste of time to me.

I'll probably skip the PS3/360 next-gen consoles because my PC will probably be superior to them. My unhealthy obsession with Halo will probably get me to buy an xbox in the end. Hope it takes a while before it gets released so the hardware is fully tested and I don't get involved in another RoD fiasco.
Unlike the Wii at least the Gamecube had plenty of decent 3rd party things (give me another Rogue Squadron Nintendo!). Must've not played many good things for it to have become a paperweight confused, and I had all three consoles at the time, but wutevers.

Not really interested in Bayonetta 2, but I guess it's a good start as far as stepping up their 3rd party. Hopefully it'll only get better from there. Like Blax, that and Metroid are mostly the only things that would warrant me getting a Wii-U (and I don't care if the specs are outdated by the time the other systems come out as long as the games are still good). Until then I guess I'm waiting out on the next gen. Same with the next Xbox for the same reasons as you if I end up getting that too.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Unlike the Wii at least the Gamecube had plenty of decent 3rd party things (give me another Rogue Squadron Nintendo!). Must've not played many good things for it to have become a paperweight confused, and I had all three consoles at the time, but wutevers.

Not really interested in Bayonetta 2, but I guess it's a good start as far as stepping up their 3rd party. Hopefully it'll only get better from there. Like Blax, that and Metroid are mostly the only things that would warrant me getting a Wii-U (and I don't care if the specs are outdated by the time the other systems come out as long as the games are still good). Until then I guess I'm waiting out on the next gen. Same with the next Xbox for the same reasons as you if I end up getting that too.

I played Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, REmake, Twin Snakes, Rogue Squadron, Wind Waker and a few others. Thing is I had the PS2 and Xbox too and they got way more gametime than the gamecube. Although the Gamecube was better than the Xbox IMHO. I don't remember the last game I played on my GC after Twin Snakes. Twilight Princess took forever to come out ~_~ The ONE game I wanted to play lol By the time it came out I had long sold my GC. Xbox got a free pass with the addiction to Xbox Live thanks to Halo 2.

srankmissingnin
I think Nintendo made a mistake not going true next gen with a bridge gap system... for a second time in a row. EA has said publicly that they expect Sony and Microsoft's new systems by holiday season 2013. If that is true then what? Nintendo will have a console not powerful enough to run true next gen third party games? Again. So they will get about a year worth of thirty party support while we round out the tail end of this gen, then back to release one or two antiquated first party games a year after all the third parties jump to the neXtbox and PS4.

Zack Fair
thumb up

Bardock42
Might get the Wii U when it drops in price, don't really like the look of it much, but backwards compatability is a seller for me as I never owned a Wii.

Probably going to get the Xbox 720, I like the Xbox now, but we'll see. And in that case I'll probably skip the next PS at least until it become much more reasonably priced.

Oh, also, http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/9/19/3355798/sony-announces-new-playstation-3-console not sure what to take away from that in terms of PS4, but it's a thing that's happening...

Zack Fair
We don't even know how much the 720 and PS4 will cost...and in the case of Sony we know nothing lol.

I doubt Sony will throw another 600 bucks bomb at us.

srankmissingnin
We don't even know how much the 720 and PS4 will cost...and in the case of Sony we know nothing lol.

I doubt Sony will throw another 600 bucks bomb at us.

There was some "leaked" alpha kit specs back around e3... but I can't remember if that shook out to be anything more than bs.

Ridley_Prime
I played Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, REmake, Twin Snakes, Rogue Squadron, Wind Waker and a few others. Thing is I had the PS2 and Xbox too and they got way more gametime than the gamecube. Although the Gamecube was better than the Xbox IMHO. I don't remember the last game I played on my GC after Twin Snakes. Twilight Princess took forever to come out ~_~ The ONE game I wanted to play lol By the time it came out I had long sold my GC. Xbox got a free pass with the addiction to Xbox Live thanks to Halo 2.
Ah, guess I stand corrected then. I take it Tales of Symphonia was one of those few others? And yeah, I feel you there on Twilight Princess because of the timing and ended up just playing a friend's copy. lol

Hope console power isn't the reason for Nintendo to get a lack of 3rd party support when the other systems are out (again), but I guess anything's possible. If it does happen though I'll live. ermm If that's the case, makes me wonder if or when they'll ever have something truly next-gen somewhere down the line as opposed to releasing something that's barely above current-gen just to get a head start... Hate when history repeats itself like that.

AsbestosFlaygon
I don't think there'll be a PS4 anytime soon.

The new slimmer, lighter PS3 has just been announced.

The 250GB version is bundled with Uncharted 3, whilst the 500GB version comes with Assassin's Creed III w/ 4 exclusive levels only for PS3.

srankmissingnin
Sony released the psOne model around the same time the PS2 came out. Just food for thought. I doubt the new superslim has any baring on the PS4, it's just a model that can be made cheaper and sold for the same price.

Digi
Shouldn't most of the console in-fighting be over by now? For example, how many people will PS4 pull away from current 360 users? Or vice-versa with 720/PS3?

I get that this thread is only discussion, not a "which is better?" debate, but outside of the few freaks who buy multiple consoles (sorry, I know there's a few among us here on KMC), aren't we all just waiting for the sequel to what we have now?

For example, nothing even blips on my radar here except possibly the 720, because I'm fairly entrenched with the 360.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Digi
Shouldn't most of the console in-fighting be over by now? For example, how many people will PS4 pull away from current 360 users? Or vice-versa with 720/PS3?

I get that this thread is only discussion, not a "which is better?" debate, but outside of the few freaks who buy multiple consoles (sorry, I know there's a few among us here on KMC), aren't we all just waiting for the sequel to what we have now?

For example, nothing even blips on my radar here except possibly the 720, because I'm fairly entrenched with the 360.

If prior generations are an indication then there can be a significant difference between what people buy when upgrading.

Digi
Originally posted by Bardock42
If prior generations are an indication then there can be a significant difference between what people buy when upgrading.

srug

...true. Guess I just don't see the culture war over consoles raging like it once did, and figured the companies were pretty entrenched in their fanbases. Probably a product of my age. I'm sure the battle is fierce among the 17-21 crowd.

Zack Fair
The console war rages on. It will never end.

Most of us have just outgrown it.

Tzeentch._
That's generally what happens when you become old.

Smasandian
It just seems console wars are less and less each generation.

Generally, I find that exclusives are getting fewer each generation which in turn decreases the amount of people fighting which console is best.

Zack Fair
That's generally what happens when you become old.

Exactly.

You need only read youtube comments to see how the console war is as wild and intense as it has ever been.

srankmissingnin
Yeah the console wars are for children... the Cola Wars are where real men spend their energies! PEPSI OR DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BlackZero30x

I am one of those freaks. I have the 360(kinect), ps3(move), Wii, 3DS, PSP, and my PC. Over all they have things I like and dis-like about them all but the 360 is by far my top system and I have put more effort into my gamerscore then trophies or anything else. The 720 will need to transfer my gamertag and score or I will be disinterested. Same goes for trophies. Honestly I didn't get 62k+ gamerscore and level 7 on my trophies to just lose it. I also will need all the rumors I have heard about the systems to be false. Otherwise it's a waste of my money IMO.

Smasandian
I used to have all three until I sold my Wii.

I also play a lot of PC games because Steam is the shit!

Bardock42
I'd be willing to sacrifice my gamerscore just for the satisfaction that people who work hard on theirs lose it.

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by Smasandian
I used to have all three until I sold my Wii.

I also play a lot of PC games because Steam is the shit!

I also play a good bit of PC but I don't have steam. I just buy games I think seem awesome

I'd be willing to sacrifice my gamerscore just for the satisfaction that people who work hard on theirs lose it.

lol Well my score isn't as high as some people I know...the 100k+ area but still if I lost my GS to the 720(I highly doubt that would happen) I would just keep my 360 and play that instead.

Digi

laughing out loud

Agreed.

Smasandian
Originally posted by BlackZero30x
I also play a good bit of PC but I don't have steam. I just buy games I think seem awesome

lol Well my score isn't as high as some people I know...the 100k+ area but still if I lost my GS to the 720(I highly doubt that would happen) I would just keep my 360 and play that instead.

If your a PC gamer, you must have Steam. It's a requirement.

BlackZero30x

lol I game on anything that will let me really. I in fact am going to buy the $30 retro system that plays nes, 64, and sega games. The thing is with me I don't have lots of money most of the time. All the systems I own I have accumulated over time. Games are the same. Its a rare thing when I actually get to buy a brand new game. I will check it out though. I was on it once looking at prices and if I recall they weren't that bad in price.

Peach

I only have Steam because of the fact that some games, even boxed copies, require you to install it. Which is really kind of bullshit.

I never actually use it for anything. If I could get rid of it and still play Civ 5, I would.

Barker

Have you not played any of the Sony exclusives?

Uncharted, SotC, the R&Cs, etc

Zack Fair

^ Knows what he is talking about.

ArtificialGlory
I ****ing deify Steam.

Phanteros
Am I the only person here that buys from good old games?

Kazenji
I've bought some from there

but its mostly Steam for me.

Digi
Originally posted by Barker
Have you not played any of the Sony exclusives?

Uncharted, SotC, the R&Cs, etc

Nope.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Phanteros
Am I the only person here that buys from good old games?

You're not. I've bought a couple games from there.

Digi
Steam is both annoying and useful.

Barker
Nope.
babby

I don't even like shooters much and Uncharted does it for me.

Impediment
Originally posted by BackFire
Right now I have no interest in the Wii U. Maybe in a few years when a proper Zelda or Mario game is released I'll pick one up.

This.

The only reason I even own a Wii is for the flagship titles like Mario, Metroid, Zelda, and Donkey Kong. Everything I've read about the Wii-U hasn't impressed me in the slightest. The controller looks even more gimmicky than the Wii remote, in my opinion.

As a die hard Sony fanboy, I believe that the PS4 isn't coming anytime soon. The PS3 has so much more to offer before another console is launched. Hell, the PS2 had a lot more steam left in it, but then Sony hurriedly dropped the PS3 to compete with Microsoft, if you ask me.

ares834
Eh, I'd expect the PS4 to be released around the same time the 720 is. I doubt Sony will make the same mistake again and launch their console a year after their competitors have.

Digi
babby

I don't even like shooters much and Uncharted does it for me.

I have no idea why it's surprising to you that there are people who don't own every console.

fdog

Also, if I got something new to play an exclusive title, it would be a Wii to play Zelda, not a PS. As it is, 360 + PC is more than enough gaming for me atm.

Zack Fair
I hate Origin.

I know no one mentioned it, but I had to say it.

Barker
I have no idea why it's surprising to you that there are people who don't own every console.

fdog

Also, if I got something new to play an exclusive title, it would be a Wii to play Zelda, not a PS. As it is, 360 + PC is more than enough gaming for me atm.
upb

But Uncharted > Zelda

Zack Fair
upb

But Uncharted > Zelda http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs1/1336519_o.gif

Peach
Don't post if you're just going to post gifs that don't contribute anything.

Zack Fair
Contributes in me disagreeing with him to the point of killing him uhuh

Kazenji
Steam is both annoying and useful.

Yeah it can be

i've run into couple of problems mainly with the games

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, every time i start up steam i keeps asking me to install it and other other one is Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath steam seriously needs to fix it up just can't get the game working properly and the recent HD update just make it worst.

Digi
Originally posted by Kazenji
Yeah it can be

i've run into couple of problems mainly with the games

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, every time i start up steam i keeps asking me to install it and other other one is Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath steam seriously needs to fix it up just can't get the game working properly and the recent HD update just make it worst.

Skyrim junks up on me occasionally. But for the most part it's cool. I guess I just dislike the omnipresence of it, and how purchases don't have any kind of cross-compatibility outside of Steam.

Some of the game packages are great. Recently I bought the "Jedi Knight" pack with about 5 classic SW games. Cheap, awesome, easy to set up and play.

Smasandian
What do you mean cross-compatibility? Like you bought the game and can't run it through Origin? Or??

If you play PC games, Steam is a necessity pretty much. Want to play a game that's older than a few years, Steam mostly has it. It's cheap, and requires about 1-2 hour download depending on how big the game is. If you love PC gaming, I'm surprised your not using Steam, or something very similar. It's one the reasons why PC gaming is around still.

The one thing though is because Steam is a client, people automatically think that a problem with the game is a Steam issue. It's usually not, if the game is buggy, it's the game, not Steam. (Not saying people issues here are not Steam related)

Digi
What do you mean cross-compatibility? Like you bought the game and can't run it through Origin? Or??

If you play PC games, Steam is a necessity pretty much. Want to play a game that's older than a few years, Steam mostly has it. It's cheap, and requires about 1-2 hour download depending on how big the game is. If you love PC gaming, I'm surprised your not using Steam, or something very similar. It's one the reasons why PC gaming is around still.

The one thing though is because Steam is a client, people automatically think that a problem with the game is a Steam issue. It's usually not, if the game is buggy, it's the game, not Steam. (Not saying people issues here are not Steam related)

And if Steam goes under?

I like it. But it's something akin to the audio file that you can't port off of the original device. Clunky though they may be, I have PC game CD's from nearly two decades ago that I can still use on any PC that I want and that I'll always have (OS compatibility notwithstanding - anything can still run, it just sometimes takes a workaround for older games). Same, with, say owning a TV show via XBox Live. I can watch it whenever, but it's also grounded. I can't take it to a friend's, etc.

I get that this is the future of the medium, and for the most part I have no issues with it. It doesn't mean it's without flaws.

ares834
That's a fair point and one I never considered.

Still, I like how Steam sorta "unites" the PC gaming community. Similar to how X-box live and PS network work.

upb

But Uncharted > Zelda

http://images.wikia.com/mlpfanart/images/4/48/Dude...no..gif

Peach
And if Steam goes under?

I like it. But it's something akin to the audio file that you can't port off of the original device. Clunky though they may be, I have PC game CD's from nearly two decades ago that I can still use on any PC that I want and that I'll always have (OS compatibility notwithstanding - anything can still run, it just sometimes takes a workaround for older games). Same, with, say owning a TV show via XBox Live. I can watch it whenever, but it's also grounded. I can't take it to a friend's, etc.

I get that this is the future of the medium, and for the most part I have no issues with it. It doesn't mean it's without flaws.

I'm with you on this one.

But I'm also still firmly in the camp of "physical copies are far superior to digital". I simply do not trust everything going all digital.

BlackZero30x
Same, with, say owning a TV show via XBox Live. I can watch it whenever, but it's also grounded. I can't take it to a friend's, etc.

you most certainly can if you have a zune or a laptop. I have multiple TV shows downloaded to my xbox. Just make an account on zune and link it to your xbox. Then you can download the shows either to your zune or directly to you PC.

It's a pretty simple matter to convert it so it's no longer locked to just your zune. You could also just link your laptop to your friends TV or just take your zune and hook it up. Most things it can hook to via usb can play the video content that's on it.

Smasandian
And if Steam goes under?

Huh? I'm not sure about your point about using it on any PC.

You just log on your friends computer, install Steam, download game and then play it. As well, you can sync up your saved games through the Cloud and you can play where you left off.

You get the CD key, which is the most important part of the purchase. The problem is still there somewhat (need the data) but Valve is a pretty good company so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have a plan that allows people to get there games.

But the point is moot, if your a PC gamer, you have to have Steam, or other DL programs because it's harder to find boxed PC games out there. Also, let's say Valve goes under and you don't copy the CD key, it's funny how people hold on a purchase that cost them 3 bucks 5 years ago.

EDIT: I think the best thing Valve could do is give a feature/setting that allows you to create an ISO of the game content so you can have a hard copy but I wouldn't be surprised if publishers would allow that.

Digi
you most certainly can if you have a zune or a laptop. I have multiple TV shows downloaded to my xbox. Just make an account on zune and link it to your xbox. Then you can download the shows either to your zune or directly to you PC.

It's a pretty simple matter to convert it so it's no longer locked to just your zune. You could also just link your laptop to your friends TV or just take your zune and hook it up. Most things it can hook to via usb can play the video content that's on it.

I'm aware of all of this. But there's an "if" here. "If your friend has an XBox, you just log in on your account and..." or similar stories. It's creating one of two things: making it so only tech geeks who keep up with all of this can convert to multiple formats (what you just explained goes over many peoples' heads). Or two, creating purchasing mandates, where you "have" to buy a certain product/brand/etc. to have compatibility with your other media.

Now, this isn't always a problem, but think of it this way: 15 years ago I could take my CD or DVD and go ANYWHERE with it and play it. Now, it's "do you have zune? Wifi for my laptop (who are you watching with that you can all crowd around a laptop btw?)? An XBox? Does your system play blue-ray? Can your TV read from my device? etc. etc. etc." And it's not because the technology branches; it's because corporations want to funnel us to their products. Someone gives Sony a boatload of money, and they exclusively play blue-ray (or similar examples). Want to play it on an XBox or standard DVD player at your mom's house? Sorry loser, buy our system instead. It's overtly manipulative.

We're going backwards in this department. Big time. And it's only going to get worse. And as soon a something supplants Steam (not imminent of course, but it will happen), we'll need to have the next big system of purchasing/playing that will only be exclusive to it and its partners.

Huh? I'm not sure about your point about using it on any PC.

You just log on your friends computer, install Steam, download game and then play it. As well, you can sync up your saved games through the Cloud and you can play where you left off.

You get the CD key, which is the most important part of the purchase. The problem is still there somewhat (need the data) but Valve is a pretty good company so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have a plan that allows people to get there games.

But the point is moot, if your a PC gamer, you have to have Steam, or other DL programs because it's harder to find boxed PC games out there. Also, let's say Valve goes under and you don't copy the CD key, it's funny how people hold on a purchase that cost them 3 bucks 5 years ago.

EDIT: I think the best thing Valve could do is give a feature/setting that allows you to create an ISO of the game content so you can have a hard copy but I wouldn't be surprised if publishers would allow that.

Valve doesn't owe us anything legally if they go under. It would be a dick move, but it's creating exclusivity. "Use us, or you can't play at all."

Kazenji

CD Key?

is that with 'Backup Game files' option?

Barker
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs1/1336519_o.gif
Originally posted by ares834
http://images.wikia.com/mlpfanart/images/4/48/Dude...no..gif
To be fair, I only played TP until I got bored of it. It's sat dusty on my games shelf for almost 5 years now. And I only got up until the chicken city thing in OOT on 3DS before I stopped.

Maybe I should finish them. ermmnone

Smasandian
Originally posted by Kazenji
CD Key?

is that with 'Backup Game files' option?

My mistake. I thought you get CD key with every game you buy, and checked it out by randomly checking games. I guess I missed a few without a CD key option.

So I was wrong. Only some games give the CD key. Hmm, I wonder if that's a Steam issue, or a publisher issue. It might be a publisher issue.

Ushgarak
There is effectively zero chance that games in the Steam library will be lost. Steam has become such a default of the PC playing field that even if in some distant future it goes under, someone else will pick it up and offer library continuity because that resource is worth a LOT of money.

Hard copies of games are becoming increasingly irrelevant anyway. Games get so patched and modified that what you have on the disc stops actually being the game rather soon. This is mostly a PC issue right now but will spread everywhere soon enough.

I think hard copies have larger problems. Losing or breaking your discs is far more likely than any theoretical issues with Steam games.

Impediment
Am I the only one who is hoping that the next gen consoles will be backwards compatible? My 60 GB PS3 was BC, but my 320 GB isn't. That's why I still have my original PS2 in case I want to play older games.

Ushgarak
Backwards compatibility is awesome, and the Wii U has it, but the sheer cost of it for the PS3 to emulate a PS2 (it had to have pretty much half the PS2 hardware inside it!) is one of the things that hammered the PS3 in its early days. That's why they stopped doing it, and they may be wary about doing that again.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Backwards compatibility is awesome, and the Wii U has it, but the sheer cost of it for the PS3 to emulate a PS2 (it had to have pretty much half the PS2 hardware inside it!) is one of the things that hammered the PS3 in its early days. That's why they stopped doing it, and they may be wary about doing that again.

I had no idea.

Why couldn't they just set up a "virtual" console? You know...an emulator. Seems every pirating thug programmer can do it...so why not some of the programmers on Sony's payroll.

Ushgarak
They switched to software emulation in later models, but it didn't work as well.

BlackZero30x
has anyone seen the "new" ps3? http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/09/25/new-ps3-model-out-today-exclusive-first-look/

God I hate sony right now. They need less models of the same system and more time on making the new one.

Smasandian
Sony is a very big company. They can have multiple teams working on multiple products.

It's a good thing when a smaller team works on something. Large the team, more shit to wade through.

BlackZero30x
that really doesn't mean they should keep bringing out more models of the same system. I know they want to milk the ps3 as much as possible but its getting dumb. Do we really need a "Super Slim"? whats next the "Ultra Slim"?

EDIT: They should do a base system sale. Put the slim out with one controller with 160gigs and a playstation+ vaocher. They could charge $199 and and people would have eaten that up. Thats a better deal then the 4gig xbox even.

Smasandian
Why are you complaining?

Don't buy it if you don't like it.

dadudemon
Why are you complaining?

Don't buy it if you don't like it.

Why not complain?

That's valuable money Sony invested in something he does not want.

Smasandian
Hahahah. Whatever. It's dumb to complain about how a company spends it's money.

The funny thing is that they will probably make a profit on it.

Peach
Has Sony made a profit on any of the various PS3s yet?

The really ridiculous thing is the fact that they aren't lowering the price on the regular slim systems.

Smasandian
That's pretty crappy. Oh well, it's an option for people. If they want, they can buy it.

But I assume they make profit somehow with newer versions of the console because if they didn't, why would they bother?

BlackZero30x

I don't mean to sound like a dick but I think its dumber to complain about someone that complains.

Anyways I come to a forum....one specifically to talk about gaming systems and me voicing my opinion about one that is being brought out is dumb? confused

Like Dadudemon said it's valuable money. More specifically speaking its our money as the consumers. Without us they wouldn't even exist so I have a pretty valid reason to complain when you think about it.

Peach
That's pretty crappy. Oh well, it's an option for people. If they want, they can buy it.

But I assume they make profit somehow with newer versions of the console because if they didn't, why would they bother?

Every time the release a new version, it coincides with a fairly lengthy sales decline. Their sales drop too much, they release a new version, and then people are like "oh, that's better than the previous model" and buy it.

dadudemon

Those are potential R&D, fabrication, manufacturing, and marketing funds that could have been spent on the PS4. How is that good for any consumer that is not interested in buying another PS3? That's a waste of funds to all of those looking forward towards a PS4 release (I have $300 that says that number is in the millions).

Smasandian
No money is being taken away from the PS4 because of the new version.

Also, it's not as waste of funds if the new console makes a profit, which I'm assuming does.

Bardock42
I just don't want to have shit lying around my apartment anymore, I'd love to go all digital for games, though I am resigned to it likely not being feasible for the next generation of consoles, but for PC games I did that years ago.

Are we still talking about this topic, I only read halfway through the thread...

dadudemon
No money is being taken away from the PS4 because of the new version.

I call bullshit. No way those funds did impact the amount of funds PS4 got/gets. Sony does not have a bottomless pit of funding.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Peach
Has Sony made a profit on any of the various PS3s yet?

The really ridiculous thing is the fact that they aren't lowering the price on the regular slim systems. Wow thats stupid. I was willing to spend 150 bucks on a slim PS3. Ah well.

BlackZero30x
Wii U release on Sunday! I will be there to pick it up. I played some demos on the set up gamestop has and it was pretty cool.

BlackZero30x
release today! Im heading out to pick it up soon!

dadudemon
release today! Im heading out to pick it up soon!

Soooooooooo...

Stop playing the damn games and give us an update! lol

BlackZero30x
well the system itself has only one way to sit....laying flat and it lays long ways...front to back. Side to side its thin but front to back its really long. The controller feels good in my hands also. It feel and plays like a lot more solid of a system then the Wii so far imo. The Graphics are pretty legit on the flat screen! The learning curve was so small I couldn't believe it. I kind of just picked it up and was able to get right into it. In game it was more like playing a new game and learning the buttons as apposed to learning a new controller....and speaking of new controller it is a decent size also. Kind of like "wow" when you are actually holding it. Its not too heavy or to light though either. Overall as it stands the only thing that could bring this down is a bad game library but we will have to see how that goes.

Like any game system though you get ONE controller but the tablet controller isn't sold separately yet. Though it is supposed to be backward compatible with accessories. I can't confirm or deny because I traded in the Wii towards this so I have no old accessories to try.

Peach
It is backwards compatible with accessories - so long as your Wii remotes have the motion plus build in or as an attachment.

We've had a demo one at my store for over a month now, so yeah, I know it pretty well. It's okay.

TheOneOfMortis
Anybody else think that the Nintendo handheld console's are better than the actual consoles? Since N64 the handhelds have always had a way better gaming library.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by TheOneOfMortis
Anybody else think that the Nintendo handheld console's are better than the actual consoles? Since N64 the handhelds have always had a way better gaming library.

Yeah, but 1/3 of the handheld games are all remakes anyway.

...played OoT on 3d....am tempted to buy the damn thing just for the game.

TheOneOfMortis
Not the DS that had an awesome library.

3DS still has a ways to go but even igmoring remakes or stuff like new super mario bros 2 and mario kart 7 (which some peopel kinda consider remakes) it satil has all the following:

Super Mario 3D Land
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Resident Evil: Revelations
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
Mutant Mudds
VVVVVV
Mighty Switch Force!
Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Bit.Trip Saga
Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure

, all of which are great. It certainly kills the Sony Vita.

Barker
Why don't they have Wii U demos in stores? I've seen a few kiosks at malls but every time I see a system in a Walmart or Target or something they only let you play videos instead of having gameplay.

Ushgarak
Got my Wii U a day early- spending time getting the day one upgrade and transferring my Wii software.

That process is on the cumbersome side, but the Pikmin animation they made to show the data being transferred off the old Wii is awesome...

Peach
Why don't they have Wii U demos in stores? I've seen a few kiosks at malls but every time I see a system in a Walmart or Target or something they only let you play videos instead of having gameplay.

I don't know why, but they sent out very few demo systems. I have one at work but most stores don't. They also have only one playable demo (Rayman). Kind of annoying.

FistOfThe North
It's crazy to know that my pc in it's current state, that i've built, will be more advanced technollogically than the ps4 and the 720 when it/if comes out late next year.

Barker
I don't know why, but they sent out very few demo systems. I have one at work but most stores don't. They also have only one playable demo (Rayman). Kind of annoying.
Yeah, it's just weird IMO. I have a friend who works at Gamestop and she doesn't know why they don't have one either.

Seems like they'd want to show off the functionality better, otherwise it just seems like they're hiding how shit it really is or something.

That said I almost bought one. haermm

Zack Fair
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
It's crazy to know that my pc in it's current state, that i've built, will be more advanced technollogically than the ps4 and the 720 when it/if comes out late next year. whats your rig?

FistOfThe North
whats your rig?

windows 7 64 bit

intel core I7 960 processor

evga gtx 680 graphics card (currently the planet's most powerful gaming graphics card)

evga ftw3 x58 mobo (i can go s.l.i. adding a second 680)

800 watt power supply(corsair)

18gb of ram (corsair)

180gb sd drive for the main drive (my pc loads in 15-20 seconds)

2 terabytes of space on second drive

all inside a coolermaster (H.A.F.-high air flow) tower with 6 fans, top, sides underneath, front, and back and optional water cooling abilities.

sony 3d blue ray drive. and a another dvd burner. with room/slots for 4 more drives.

creative audigy surround sound using optical wire. (sound through light)

i play all gameson ultra with no problems. save for metro 2033 but that's because of the games shitty optimisation. but the rest a sweet 60fps, all on a 1080p screen running at 120hz.

And this is a mid 2011 build. and nothing's even overclocked. and this is a mid-high system. and this build would destroy a ps4. now imagine a current build with 4 gtx 680's the latest, best I7 processor. that $1000 Intel chip. you're looking at a ps5. now imagine pc gaming tech when the new next gen systems come out a year from now ..

Peach
18GB RAM? Wouldn't it be 16?

Also, being as we have no idea what the PS4 will look like in terms of specs, we really can't know for sure where it'll be.

And 4 680s? Talk about overkill. SLI/Crossfire is barely worth it as it is because few games use it - just like there's no point going above a quadcore processor because very little actually threads things so that it's worth it. Just like there's not much reason to go above 8GB of RAM unless you do heavy video editing. 4 graphics cards would be good for doing multimonitors with like...4+ monitors, but that's about it. It's just be a waste of money.

Edit: How could that have been a mid-2011 build when the GTX 680 wasn't out then?

FistOfThe North
18GB RAM? Wouldn't it be 16?

Also, being as we have no idea what the PS4 will look like in terms of specs, we really can't know for sure where it'll be.

And 4 680s? Talk about overkill. SLI/Crossfire is barely worth it as it is because few games use it - just like there's no point going above a quadcore processor because very little actually threads things so that it's worth it. Just like there's not much reason to go above 8GB of RAM unless you do heavy video editing. 4 graphics cards would be good for doing multimonitors with like...4+ monitors, but that's about it. It's just be a waste of money.

Edit: How could that have been a mid-2011 build when the GTX 680 wasn't out then?

spec-wise, yea there's no way the next gen consoles are gonna have a $500 graphics card, or it's matching power, inside their consoles. or a high to highest end processor a pc gamer could get. it'd be counterproductive financially. they'd end up selling their consoles for $1000+ if they did it that way. and there's no way consoles will come out with more than a terabyte of space on hdd's.

and my ftw mobo has 6 slots for ram. i have 3, 2gb sticks and 3, 4gb sticks in the slots. yea 18gb is way overkill but, just future proofing.

and my build started in mid '11 but i'd constantly upgrade from time to time. i purchased the 680 and 12 extra gigs of ram together about 2 months ago. before that i had 2 gtx 460's in sli and only 6 gigs of ram.

Morridini
I have never really been sold on the Wii U, and today I got my first chance at playing it (Norways first ever Game Convention, yey!).

First Wii U game I played was Call of Duty: Black Ops. It was cool to have such good graphics available in my hand, but that was about that for this game, I did not feel that the controls worked well (I am too accustomed to having the two sticks closer to eachother, the wide space of the Wii U gamepad threw me off).

Next I got my hands on NintendoLand, first out me and a friend decided to play Luigis Mansion. We asked the rep who was there to join in to have more players, and we had a very fun first run. We got a few more people together and were now 5 players. Lots and lots of fun, loved being both the ghost and tracker. Next up: Mario Chase, pretty much the same, but without the chasee being able to attack the chasers. My friend lasted for 30 seconds, while I lasted for 2 min and 20 seconds, very close to the goal time. Finally we tried the Zelda thing, didn't like it much.

Finally I got to try the new Super Mario Wii U Bros New (yeah, I know thats not the correct position of the words, but blame Nintendo for such horrible titles). It was fun, for the actual players, being the guy with the gamepad was a bit boring, placing platforms around...

So all in all, I see some potential. Party games ala Luigis Mansion and Chase Mario definitely work fine, but I am still not sold on this being a gamers console.

TheOneOfMortis
You can always opt to use gamepad if you think the controller doesn't work well with some genres.

Nintendo has always been a "gamers console", they are in the business of making games that are fun and changing the ways we can have fun, and even the wii which is worst nintendo console ever had best local multiplayer support out of all consoles and a lot of fun games for everyone. Just because it didnt have the best graphics or wasnt over staurated with fpss does not make it a non-gamers conspole.

Peach
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
spec-wise, yea there's no way the next gen consoles are gonna have a $500 graphics card, or it's matching power, inside their consoles. or a high to highest end processor a pc gamer could get. it'd be counterproductive financially. they'd end up selling their consoles for $1000+ if they did it that way. and there's no way consoles will come out with more than a terabyte of space on hdd's.

and my ftw mobo has 6 slots for ram. i have 3, 2gb sticks and 3, 4gb sticks in the slots. yea 18gb is way overkill but, just future proofing.

and my build started in mid '11 but i'd constantly upgrade from time to time. i purchased the 680 and 12 extra gigs of ram together about 2 months ago. before that i had 2 gtx 460's in sli and only 6 gigs of ram.

Here's the thing you're forgetting - consoles sell at a huge loss for a long time and it usually takes years for components to become cheap enough that they can start making a profit on things. Instead the real profit is on the games and (especially) accessories. When the PS3 came out it cost about $900 to manufacture each system.

You also forget that PC parts have huge markup on them and what a consumer pays for them is not what it costs the company making them. Just because you'd pay $500 for something doesn't mean it costs $500 to produce - not even close.

Also, why the hell are you running your RAM in 3x combos? You should always do it dual-channel - matched sticks in set of two. Running it like you have it is just a waste as you won't be getting the performance out of it you could be - either remove one 2gb and one 4gb, or replace the 2gb sticks entirely with another 4gb. It would be a smaller amount but as it'd be dual-channel instead of single-channel it'd run better than what you have now.

Ushgarak
Apparently the Wii U is the first console Nintendo are selling at a loss (at launch, anyway- I don't know where the 3DS price cut left it) for a long time- maybe ever.

However, it also apparently only takes one game sale before they are in the black on it, so it's still a very different strategy from the huge loss-leaders that Microsoft and Sony play with. I reckon it's only going at a loss at all because of the game pad cost.

Btw, I am impressed with the Wii U. The launch game line up is poor for my own tastes (just about everything I actually want has been delayed) but it is pretty slick.The gamepad works excellently (I found it surprisingly comfortable). Nintendo Land is a solid pack-in title, but obviously it's at its best for party situations. I got NSMBU not because I am a big Mario fan, but because I wanted to try at least one other title and it is also good for party gaming (remember the guy with the gamepad in that is the optional bonus player; up to four can play with the remotes with no gamepad needed). I was going to get Zombi U but I was not totally sold on the concept and middling reviews put me off, so now I am watiing for Scribblenauts to come out in the EU as well as Rayman Legends.

(Oh, and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, for which I am a total sucker as its really just an upgrade of a game I already put 200 hours into, but it's a good looking one. I might even by the cross-compatible 3ds version at the same time and force friends to play it with me))

Games like Call of Duty etc... well, I'm not a big FPS fan anyway. But I don't really see the point of those sorts of games on the Wii U. I use a PC for my 'hardcore' (or whatever) gaming. I bought into the whole Wii thing because I could get something a bit different there.

I've also never been that interested in the hardcore hardware push. Games like Super Mario Galaxy (much as I got bored with it and utterly so with its sequel|) and Metroid Prime 3 proved that it's just down to getting the most out of what is there, not just lazily relying on horsepower. Not to mention the many sorts of games that don't actually need horsepower at all.

TheOneOfMortis
Apparently the Wii U is the first console Nintendo are selling at a loss (at launch, anyway- I don't know where the 3DS price cut left it) for a long time- maybe ever.

However, it also apparently only takes one game sale before they are in the black on it, so it's still a very different strategy from the huge loss-leaders that Microsoft and Sony play with. I reckon it's only going at a loss at all because of the game pad cost.

Btw, I am impressed with the Wii U. The launch game line up is poor for my own tastes (just about everything I actually want has been delayed) but it is pretty slick.The gamepad works excellently (I found it surprisingly comfortable). Nintendo Land is a solid pack-in title, but obviously it's at its best for party situations. I got NSMBU not because I am a big Mario fan, but because I wanted to try at least one other title and it is also good for party gaming (remember the guy with the gamepad in that is the optional bonus player; up to four can play with the remotes with no gamepad needed). I was going to get Zombi U but I was not totally sold on the concept and middling reviews put me off, so now I am watiing for Scribblenauts to come out in the EU as well as Rayman Legends.

(Oh, and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, for which I am a total sucker as its really just an upgrade of a game I already put 200 hours into, but it's a good looking one. I might even by the cross-compatible 3ds version at the same time and force friends to play it with me))

Games like Call of Duty etc... well, I'm not a big FPS fan anyway. But I don't really see the point of those sorts of games on the Wii U. I use a PC for my 'hardcore' (or whatever) gaming. I bought into the whole Wii thing because I could get something a bit different there.

I've also never been that interested in the hardcore hardware push. Games like Super Mario Galaxy (much as I got bored with it and utterly so with its sequel|) and Metroid Prime 3 proved that it's just down to getting the most out of what is there, not just lazily relying on horsepower. Not to mention the many sorts of games that don't actually need horsepower at all.

You should definitely look into Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition if you can, its a HD remake of the 3DS e-shop game, which was just as good if not better than the best retail games on the system (though obviously a lot shorter). Its a 2d puzzle-platformer.

FinalAnswer
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/09/valve-confirms-steam-box-a-very-controlled-pc-for-the-living-room/

Welp

dadudemon

Thanks for the review. I was wondering what "real" people thought about it as opposed to gaming sites. I hear from just one fella that got Black Ops II for the Wii U that FPS games feel like they were made for the Wii.

Originally posted by FinalAnswer
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/09/valve-confirms-steam-box-a-very-controlled-pc-for-the-living-room/

Welp

Well...sounds like a console.

Ridley_Prime
Eh?

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/01/31/nintendo-discusses-future-consoles/

If Nintendo's already planning that far ahead, makes me wonder how long the Wii U will actually last now. Was bad enough that they released it in a completely wrong time-frame (IMO) and delaying what was supposed to be its launch titles like Pikmin 3. At least Smash 4 news is confirmed for this E3 along with a couple other things but it'll need a lot more than that to sell well and make up for its horrible start, which surprisingly is even worse than the 3DS's beginning.

Ushgarak
Nintendo announced a huge slew of popular awaited games last week to great press approval, and the Wii U is selling pretty well. You have no reason to worry.

Ridley_Prime
I'm aware of the recent press stuff. My main concern though was them already discussing a future console and how that'll effect the Wii U, if it does.

Ushgarak
Ans your concern is unwarranted. In any case, they are a. only explaining why they are re-structuring their hardware division and b. as they are talking about a more integrated approach to handhelds and main consoles, remember that their next console would be a handheld one, not a main console, and it's not too early to be doing advance work on that.

Ridley_Prime
I suppose. Well if it's another handheld that would make more sense.

Barker
PS4 looked decent. Still going to need to see Microsoft's response though.

BackFire
Thought Sony's press conference was pretty good. They showed a lot more gameplay demos than I thought they were going to. Nothing mind blowing, but it genuinely seems like Sony is trying really hard to right the wrongs of the PS3; particularly ease of development for game developers which was a very significant knock against the PS3, and from what I've heard so far game developers seem to be sincerely excited about how easy it will be to make games.

Will have to see was MS has to say in the coming months.

FistOfThe North
pc gaming forever. and ever. but still, i was delighted to see the ps4 finally seeing the light of day. no more sh*ty ports. i hope.

kinda wanted to see the physical console itself and if it supports 4k or not. and if it'll be backwards compatible or will they streamline the process via "the cloud" with older games. and the wand again, seriously. lol and bungie, seeing master chief there was the most "wtf?" moment of the conference.

killzone and watchdogs was the best part of the show. i just wanna see god of war 4, GTA5, tekken 7, mortal kombat, streetfighter 5 and good a super hero game or two on this like spiderman and superman on this.

i wish sony good luck.

Kazenji
With these next consoles

i wonder if releasing incomplete games will continue.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by BackFire
Thought Sony's press conference was pretty good. They showed a lot more gameplay demos than I thought they were going to. Nothing mind blowing, but it genuinely seems like Sony is trying really hard to right the wrongs of the PS3; particularly ease of development for game developers which was a very significant knock against the PS3, and from what I've heard so far game developers seem to be sincerely excited about how easy it will be to make games.

Will have to see was MS has to say in the coming months.

Indeed. Actually, for all its poor start, Sony did sort the PS3 out eventually, and from the Slim onwards it was a very viable piece of kit- affordable and people knew how to make games for it. That's where they started with the PS2, so it's about time they planned a console from scratch on that basis again.

The new controller looks a bit gimmicky, but I like a bit of gimmick. In comparison, I'm worried about Microsoft throwing more weight behind the Kinect, which I really can't see having a long-term future.

As to whether Sony can get market dominance back... I doubt they'll ever have it on the scale the PS2 did; they blew that forever with the PS3 release coming at the same time as the Wii was riding on the broader idea of gaming. Maybe they'll win it; we have to see if Nintendo can cement something with the Wii U (as they have done with 3DS) and whether Microsoft can break into the Asian market.

I do wonder if this will be the last generation of traditional consoles though. I'd like to see a future where this is no real division between handheld and standard console. All computing should be that small; you just plug it (or wirelessly connect it) to a tv if you want to play it on a bigger screen. Nintendo's recent hardware department restructuring is a first step from them in that direction, though it's a long way off and Nintendo can be pretty slow sometimes- they've only really just got a handle on online gaming.

Peach
I saw a bit of the conference, but I got bored pretty quickly with the "let's hype everything to death" talk and turned it off after about 20 minutes.

I do not like the controller. The dualshock controllers are incredibly uncomfortable and always have been. They haven't redesigned their controllers since the PSX came out. So it's basically the same old thing with a touchpad tacked on the top in a place that will be hard to use...and it uses a sensor bar.

As one of my friends said, "So...is this the Wii U now?"

I just finally picked up a PS3 in November, and I have yet to actually play anything on it - it's joined my former PSP and now my Vita as "Sony systems I never play". Good thing I'm not really inclined to pick up a PS4 - I'll probably wait a few years until they drop down to $200 as well.

Morridini
I'm about an hour into the conference now, and think it has been really great so far. Especially liked the second speaker.

Also Peach, I'd strongly recommend Heavy Rain for the PS3.

LanceWindu
I saw a bit of the conference, but I got bored pretty quickly with the "let's hype everything to death" talk and turned it off after about 20 minutes.

I do not like the controller. The dualshock controllers are incredibly uncomfortable and always have been. They haven't redesigned their controllers since the PSX came out. So it's basically the same old thing with a touchpad tacked on the top in a place that will be hard to use...and it uses a sensor bar.

As one of my friends said, "So...is this the Wii U now?"

I just finally picked up a PS3 in November, and I have yet to actually play anything on it - it's joined my former PSP and now my Vita as "Sony systems I never play". Good thing I'm not really inclined to pick up a PS4 - I'll probably wait a few years until they drop down to $200 as well.

The Dualshock has been one of the most comfortable controllers to use, personally. The L2/R2 triggers are what needed to be changed.

You can't really fault Sony for YOU not even trying to use the console.

On another note, if you'd like to sell your Vita. I'd be willing to negotiate. stick out tongue

-Pr-
i always found ps controllers to be quite comfortable, tbh. Though I have big hands, so maybe that's why.

Peach
Originally posted by LanceWindu
The Dualshock has been one of the most comfortable controllers to use, personally. The L2/R2 triggers are what needed to be changed.

You can't really fault Sony for YOU not even trying to use the console.

On another note, if you'd like to sell your Vita. I'd be willing to negotiate. stick out tongue

I've hated the Dual shock since the PS1. There's a reason why most off-brand controllers, as well as the Nintendo Pro controller, mimic the shape and layout of the 360 controller.

And it's more that there's only one or two games for it that I have any interest in and that I haven't already played on my Xbox. Little Big Planet, maybe Infamous, and that's about it.

And nah stick out tongue I got it for free and I like the AC game for it, so keeping it.

Ushgarak
Talking of controllers- Nintendo's latest genius move is to releases a demo for Monster Hunter Ultimate on the 3DS, long awaited, and then make the demo incompatible with the controller add-on for the 3DS that you need to play it with any reasonable amount of comfort.

That controller add-on was designed FOR Monster Hunter in the first place in Japan, it is being sold here with a 3DS/Monster Hunter bundle including the add-on, they are just bringing out the XL version of it, the 3DS version of the game is pretty much designed around it... but the demo can't use it. Why make a demo that cannot use the primary control method? Lord knows it is silly enough that they didn't launch the 3DS with a second analogue control in the first place...

Smasandian
I didn't see the conference. Just stories that come from it.

I wonder how many people will get the PS4 when it's get released when a lot of the announced games are also coming to the PS3?

BackFire
It looked to me like the new Dualshock may have moved the control sticks further apart, along with making them indented. I think the new controller looks pretty good, though I'll wait and see. I'm with Peach, I'm not a fan of the dual shock in general. I like the 360 controller much more.

LanceWindu
I didn't see the conference. Just stories that come from it.

I wonder how many people will get the PS4 when it's get released when a lot of the announced games are also coming to the PS3?

For me, personally. I'll wait for the first price drop.

Let the games trickle out so there's a nice variety by the time I pick it up, I'll get it cheaper, and in the meantime PS3 games will get a price drop too. There's a whole ton of PS3 games I've wanted to play, but I'm not getting until the price is right.

ScreamPaste
I own a Wii U and am loving it, the controller is a lot lighter than it looks.

Also, Monster Hunter's looking awesome.

Bardock42
I still think I'll buy the 720, knowing absolutely nothing about it. The PS4 event wasn't exciting to me at all. Don't really like what I've read about the Wii U(and they don't seem to sell well, might be trouble for Nintendo, but it's still early).

Maybe Apple will make a fancier Apple TV, I'd go for that. Or the SteamBox.

Also, DualShock is terrible /fact

LanceWindu
I still think I'll buy the 720, knowing absolutely nothing about it. The PS4 event wasn't exciting to me at all. Don't really like what I've read about the Wii U(and they don't seem to sell well, might be trouble for Nintendo, but it's still early).

Maybe Apple will make a fancier Apple TV, I'd go for that. Or the SteamBox.

Also, DualShock is terrible /fact

The 720 will be pretty much on par with PS4. The only difference is controller and exclusives.

Bardock42
The Interface will be completely different, and so will the offerings outside of gaming, which will likely become a lot more important. The stuff Sony's with this social integration is just not very interesting to me at all, I think they are completely missing what will be successful in this generation of game consoles and in TV and living room gadgets over all. Of course I don't know whether Microsoft will do much better, although the way the 360 has evolved I trust them more than Sony.

(not that the controller alone isn't a wonderful argument to get an Xbox over a PS already)

LanceWindu
The Interface will be completely different, and so will the offerings outside of gaming, which will likely become a lot more important. The stuff Sony's with this social integration is just not very interesting to me at all, I think they are completely missing what will be successful in this generation of game consoles and in TV and living room gadgets over all. Of course I don't know whether Microsoft will do much better, although the way the 360 has evolved I trust them more than Sony.

(not that the controller alone isn't a wonderful argument to get an Xbox over a PS already)

Interface is such a small thing for me. The interface of the 360 has changed multiple times. It's a simple firmware patch.

I can almost guarantee Microsoft will pull out the stops for social media interaction too.

The controller for 360 was quite comfortable, but I really don't have a preference. I even have an adapter so I can use the rival companies controller on whichever system I'm using if I want to.

Bardock42
It's easy to change technically, but very hard in practice. There's little chance of a complete overhaul during the lifespan of the PS4. The Xbox had some more change, however that is mostly due to Microsofts other ventures, and trying to get a uniform look (the UI formerly known as Metro). And I notice more and more that it is very important to me that I feel comfortable and happy with the Interface on my gadgets (currently happy with Xbox not happy with PS3).

Yeah, I don't doubt it, I don't have a problem with social media integration, Sony just hasn't showed anything interesting.

Smasandian
I didn't like how the PS4 had the ability to figure out what games you like and then automatically download them before you even buy it.

I also don't care about streaming. Considering games are getting larger and larger in GB's, my net usage will be through the roof.

LanceWindu
It's easy to change technically, but very hard in practice. There's little chance of a complete overhaul during the lifespan of the PS4. The Xbox had some more change, however that is mostly due to Microsofts other ventures, and trying to get a uniform look (the UI formerly known as Metro). And I notice more and more that it is very important to me that I feel comfortable and happy with the Interface on my gadgets (currently happy with Xbox not happy with PS3).

Yeah, I don't doubt it, I don't have a problem with social media integration, Sony just hasn't showed anything interesting.

I have a feeling they are holding lots back. They still need to have a killer keynote at E3 and/or PAX.

Morridini
I loved how the Sony conference made in "In your face!" to Nintendo when they showed that the Vita could be used exactly as the WiiU remote when it comes to playing somewhere else.

So far I am very impressed, and it even makes me want a Vita! Let's see what Microsoft has in store for us, hopefully it will match or exceed this.

Ushgarak
That sort of approach doesn't work. It's the same issue as with the Move, which totally flopped. Gimmicks like that have to be fundamental to the basics of the system, not dependent on any sort of add on. Using a Vita as a PS4 controller will remain a distinctly minority activity.

Morridini
Eh, it does exactly what I find the most interesting about the WiiU (living in a household where quarrel for the only TV sometimes occur), so for me they have my attention.

Bardock42
The problem that Ush mentions is real though. While it could do what the Wii U controller does (as could Smartglass), developers won't give it nearly as much attention if any, if they can't be sure that everyone they target will have the device.

Morridini
Ah, it had escaped my notice that the PS4 has no backwards compatability, there's a fact that Micro$oft can and should utilize.

Smasandian
At least Smartglass is available on multiple device. You don't have buy another product to use the feature.

If no developers uses it, oh well, no harm done. It will only cost MS developer costs but at least they tried.

I'm a bit annoyed about not having backwards compatibility. I don't care if you can stream it because I have the damn discs beside me and I'm wasting valuable net usage.

Ushgarak
The PS3 got burned, price-wise, on the backwards compatibility issue as it basically had to include much of a PS2 inside itself, a decision which they relatively soon reversed to lower costs. In comparison, the Wii was basically an upgraded Gamecube and hence could run GC games with ease. The Wii itself has been harder to emulate on the Wii U- requiring a separate boot (I am unsure if it also had to include any Wii hardware, but that stuff is cheap anyway)- but the tech is still similar enough to make it possible. It's Sony's habit of pushing the hardware envelope that is the issue. Each new PS is so radically different from the one before that it can't simply run the older games without great expense.

I can understand why backwards compatibility is not a built in feature after what happened before. But are they not offering any software emulation for older software? Maybe PS3 stuff is very hard to software emulate.

Morridini
Oh I read somewhere that they will have some kind of emulation, but I think it was all cloud based or some such... yeah I don't remember...

FinalAnswer
You can probably thank the Cell for no PS3 backwards compatibility.

Smasandian
The PS3 got burned, price-wise, on the backwards compatibility issue as it basically had to include much of a PS2 inside itself, a decision which they relatively soon reversed to lower costs. In comparison, the Wii was basically an upgraded Gamecube and hence could run GC games with ease. The Wii itself has been harder to emulate on the Wii U- requiring a separate boot (I am unsure if it also had to include any Wii hardware, but that stuff is cheap anyway)- but the tech is still similar enough to make it possible. It's Sony's habit of pushing the hardware envelope that is the issue. Each new PS is so radically different from the one before that it can't simply run the older games without great expense.

I can understand why backwards compatibility is not a built in feature after what happened before. But are they not offering any software emulation for older software? Maybe PS3 stuff is very hard to software emulate.

Probably is. I also wonder how important BC is to people over the long run of the console lifespan.

I would be more inclined to buy the PS4 right away if it natively played my PS3 games. I rather have one console instead of two laying around but I'm not going to buy a PS4 until a few years from now because I get the feeling that graphics won't be radically different for awhile.

And more and more games are being released on Steam.

LanceWindu
Originally posted by FinalAnswer
You can probably thank the Cell for no PS3 backwards compatibility.

Bingo.

AsbestosFlaygon
Sales data as units sold for 7th Gen consoles (as of Feb 2013):

XBOX 360: ~76 million
PS3: ~77 million
Wii: ~99 million

I predict the same outcome will happen after the 8th Gen is over.
Nintendo will likely come on top again in per unit sold, but revenue will most likely be approximately equal to its rivals due to cheaper prices.
Microsoft will yet again generate the most revenue since their online services and options consistently improve.

Smasandian
Aside from the fact that the Wii U did shit this past January, only a few months after it's release.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>