Breaking Bad

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Vicious
I'm surprised there isn't a thread for this awesome show. Bryan Cranston's acting is phenomenal. Giancarlo Esposito is also outstanding in the the show. Top notch acting.

Be warned, the video attached contains spoilers (seasons 1-4)

evCS62BFnEE

Robtard
There is.

Darth Vicious
Search function is not the most advanced in this thread. Hopefully a mod will close this one then.

ronniemark
One of mine Mine favorite t.v shows....This show is running since 2008 & I am watching this show from it's begun ....This show related to crime , drama and thriller.

ammysmith74
Very Interesting & marvelous t.v show create by Vince Gilligan...Breaking Bad is based on crime & thriller.... Bryan Cranston, Anna Gunn and Aaron Paul such played a very good role in this show.

Jamesdawn
I love this show. I have watched 3 seasons of this show and enjoying this show. Now i am going to start season 4 of this show and i am sure this season will be better than 3rd season.

Darth Vicious
Season 4 is pretty awesome!

movie1
Walt lost at least half of his heart and soul from the business. not only does he care less about humanity he seems to also not care as much for his own family. I won't forget how he rationalized this to Jesse...

Mindset
Why should he care about humanity?

Hippy.

queeq
Okay, let me say it: to me Breaking Bad is the best series around at the moment. All five seasons so far have been at a constant high level of television drama. Can't wait till the final season airs!

focus4chumps
Originally posted by queeq
best series around at the moment.

at the moment? i say "ever"

queeq
Well, you never know what comes around. I thought the same about Twin Peaks at the time. And Lost (although that did have a few weaker moments in the series)...

But yeah. Breaking Bad is an exceptional, almost flawless series. MESA LOVING IT!

focus4chumps
4 more weeks D:

ThorinWoofer
I'm currently watching the series on Netflix. It's real good.

queeq
August 18th, peeps...

Darth Vicious
It's August 11th here in the states =)

Lord Lucien
I've just begun watching this show recently, and having just finished the second season I predict this will be new favourite non-Game of Thrones series before I'm done.

TheGodKiller
zRTSxJwq5dA

Nephthys
I'm working my way through the series. I'm on Season 4 atm, so I should be caught up soon.

This series is really good.

TheGodKiller
A very major character dies in Season 4.

Do you want the spoiler?

Lord Lucien
Add spoiler tags if you post it.

TheGodKiller
Gus Fring

Nephthys
I already knew that, but why would you offer to spoil me?

Nephthys
Ted Beneke is the stupidest man alive. Holy shit.

Edit: Whoops, spoke too soon!

TheGodKiller
^That's cold, man. Too cold.

focus4chumps
i strongly suspect ted's dumb ass is still alive and will have a role to play.

Robtard
Ted is still alive, cos we see him alive. He's just gimpy.

Darth Vicious
He's a lose end. Hopefully he gets dealt with.

TheGodKiller
Originally posted by focus4chumps
i strongly suspect ted's dumb ass is still alive and will have a role to play.
As Rob said:
Originally posted by Robtard
Ted is still alive, cos we see him alive. He's just gimpy.
However, I would prefer death over his state of being any time of the day.

TheGodKiller
Originally posted by Darth Vicious
He's a lose end. Hopefully he gets dealt with.
Highly doubt that'll happen. As it is, Walter went on a cold-as-Marlo Stanfield-style rampage in the last couple episodes of the first half of season 5. The upcoming episodes are more about Walter and Jesse trying to adjust to civilian lives, even while Hank has finally caught up with them.

"Dealing" with Ted would ruin that dynamic from a plot perspective.

Lord Lucien
What was the deal with the crawling scene at the beginning of season 3, where the everyone in the Mexican town crawled toward that shrine?

Nephthys
Mexicans be cray?

TheGodKiller
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
What was the deal with the crawling scene at the beginning of season 3, where the everyone in the Mexican town crawled toward that shrine?
Santa Muerte.

TheGodKiller
Mike Ehrmantraught vs Brother Mouzone. Who wins?

Nephthys
Jesus Christ, Walt. Why's he such a monster all of a sudden?

^ Season 5 spoilers.

TheGodKiller
Once you see the scene where Skyler shows him the gigantic pile of money, he'll begin to change to a more mellow fellow after that.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Nephthys
Jesus Christ, Walt. Why's he such a monster all of a sudden?

^ Season 5 spoilers. All of a sudden?

Nephthys
You'll see. You'll seeeeee. I'm saying that really ominously and its echoing. You'll ~seeeeeeeeeeeeeeee~.

Lord Lucien
Have you already seen episode 9+?

Nephthys
Of season 5? No, its only airing tonight.

Lord Lucien
Oh you were watching it for the first time too. I just caught up. And Walt's turned in to an unsympathetic monster. F*cking love it.

Nephthys
Yeah, I just caught up today.

Lestov16
Hank is a dead man! He should have treaded lightly. Now he's on a one-way trip with a bottle of ricin.

quanchi112
Oh you were watching it for the first time too. I just caught up. And Walt's turned in to an unsympathetic monster. F*cking love it. Tread lightly here. The guy is a family man. Don't eff with his family.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by quanchi112
Tread lightly here. The guy is a family man. Don't eff with his family. Quanchi, why would you say that? I don't know even know who I'm talking to right now.

quanchi112
Quanchi, why would you say that? I don't know even know who I'm talking to right now. Since you are somewhat aloof I will grant thee mercy just this once.

Darth Martin
Originally posted by TheGodKiller
Mike Ehrmantraught vs Brother Mouzone. Who wins? Definitely Mike.

Good episode btw.

Sadako of Girth
F**king excellent return episode.
That shit was tense.
The opening was pure WTF and loved the contrast of the current timeframe to the 'before'.
Fearing for everyone right now.

TheGodKiller
I love the fact that Hank finally confronted Walter about his Heisenberg secret. It's been a long time coming for 5 seasons.

Sadako of Girth
Yeah "what insane places is that going to next", I wonder..
Cant believe there are only 7 left now.

Lestov16
I loved the scene where Walt blatantly lies to Jesse about Mike's death, and Jesse clearly doesn't believe him. IDK WTF is going to happen next. Walt is the kind of guy to nip potential problems in the bud, and Jesse, Skylar, and Hank are definitely potential problems.....

Sadako of Girth
Yeah the Star Trek 'Talos IV' thing definitely alluded to the theme of 'presented illusions' and what we choose to believe.
Looks like Jesse sees through Walt's now and doesn't.
I wonder how much he has been able to put together... the death of his ex...? The Plane crash being a consequence of that? The poisoning of Brock?

Darth Vicious
Excellent episode! The opening scene was awesome. I wonder if Walt is planning on using the ricin on himself. Why would he need it to kill someone when he has that M60? Still undecided about the neighbors look. Not sure if she looked scared because Walt might be a known fugitive or because she saw someone believed dead. When Hank closed the garage door at the end was epic. The "thread lightly" line was pure gold.

Nephthys
Excellent episode! The opening scene was awesome. I wonder if Walt is planning on using the ricin on himself. Why would he need it to kill someone when he has that M60? Still undecided about the neighbors look. Not sure if she looked scared because Walt might be a known fugitive or because she saw someone believed dead. When Hank closed the garage door at the end was epic. The "thread lightly" line was pure gold.

Walts gonna take the ricin, then purposefully go out in a big Scarface-esque shootout with the M60.

Great episode btw, and the confrontation at the end was so great.

Darth Vicious
Walts gonna take the ricin, then purposefully go out in a big Scarface-esque shootout with the M60.

Great episode btw, and the confrontation at the end was so great.
I'm thinking is the people Lydia was talking about. She told him not to put her in a box and next week's episode is titled "Buried" which more than likely means she's gone next week. I liked Hank's acting this week. He completely lost it"

Sadako of Girth
Maybe the Ricin is for Skylar..?

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Maybe the Ricin is for Skylar..?
5 seasons too late! laughing I think his whole family will be killed.

Sadako of Girth
By his hand?

quanchi112
Originally posted by Lestov16
I loved the scene where Walt blatantly lies to Jesse about Mike's death, and Jesse clearly doesn't believe him. IDK WTF is going to happen next. Walt is the kind of guy to nip potential problems in the bud, and Jesse, Skylar, and Hank are definitely potential problems..... Team Walt all the way. **** everyone else.

ares834
Good episode.

Anyway, I'm far more interested in Jesse's fate than Walt's. Seriously, **** Walt, the guy has become a complete and utter ass.

Darth Vicious
I feel Jesse is regressing to the Jesse we saw at the beginning of season 4. Neither of them could predict that Todd was going to shoot the kid. I know he's torn for seeing it happened but in the end is collateral damage of the business he chose. He is being a *****.

Sadako of Girth
He was small time and even though the lure of pure product was there there was no way of predicting how messed up things were gonna get.
He has morals and those surrounding him clearly don't. He seemed to be viewing Badger and Skinny Pete as the days he longed to return to when things were fun and simple and clearly felt seperate from their (and his old) world.

I get the feeling that he has been connecting more and more together in his mind. How long before he connects Brock, Jane the plane crash and the rest of the total destruction with the death of Mike, his posse etc etc and sees that Walt is basically the centerpoint..? From his reaction in the scene with him and Walt, I'd say that that process is well underway.
His eyes are open and he sees Walt for who he is:
The new Gus.

TheGodKiller
The plane crash had nothing to do with Walt...

And Walt isn't the new Gus. Not even close. As Mike said, "Just because you shot Jesse James, don't make you Jesse James".

Darth Vicious
I find interesting the way the stoners detailed recollection of the tv show while they were high. Same can be said for Jesse. He was high when Walt passed by and he could see through his lies.

Jesse connecting the dots on Brock is plausible but not Jane. He was out of it when it happened and iirc Walt hasn't mentioned anything about it. I don't think he told anyone either, unless he told Saul and I can't remember.

Sadako of Girth
The plane crash had nothing to do with Walt...

And Walt isn't the new Gus. Not even close. As Mike said, "Just because you shot Jesse James, don't make you Jesse James".

It did. He let Jane die. Jane's Dad (grieving) f**ked up in his traffic control job and the plane (wayfarer 515) bought the big one along with everyone on board when the grieving dad's very understandable distraction put it slamming into a charter plane, destroying both planes..it wouldn't have happened if Walt hadn't let her die.
http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Wayfarer_515

He is acting like him, using the same methods like his dealing with Lydia in the carwash mirroring Gus' brushing all discussion off with coverjob related lines.
Lydia: "Walt, they're not gonna accept this inferior product at 60 odd percent...you're putting me in a box"
Walt: (ultra politely) "Your car will be ready in 45 mins, can I interest you in an air freshener" etc etc (paraphrasing, of course)

He fancies himself as the new Gus and is emulating him as best as possible in this and other regards.

Lord Lucien
Acting like Gus to communicate that he is no longer in the same business as Gus.

Sadako of Girth
He THINKS hes not in it anymore.

"Just when you think you're out...." etc

TheGodKiller
It did. He let Jane die. Jane's Dad (grieving) f**ked up in his traffic control job and the plane (wayfarer 515) bought the big one along with everyone on board when the grieving dad's very understandable distraction put it slamming into a charter plane, destroying both planes..it wouldn't have happened if Walt hadn't let her die.

He is acting like him, using the same methods like his dealing with Lydia in the carwash mirroring Gus' brushing all discussion off with coverjob related lines.
Lydia: "Walt, they're not gonna accept this inferior product at 60 odd percent...you're putting me in a box"
Walt: (ultra politely) "Your car will be ready in 45 mins, can I interest you in an air freshener" etc etc (paraphrasing, of course)

He fancies himself as the new Gus and is emulating him as best as possible in this and other regards.
Nope, the plane crash itself is the responsibility of the concerned authorities that phucked up by letting a grieving father return to his job. Walt's guilt stops at Jane and Jane alone.

Yes, and that doesn't make him the new Gus. Like, at all. Gus, for one, was an actual professional, unlike Walt who's just an egotistical douchebag. And there are other moments of badassery which Gus showcases in the series which Walter wouldn't begin to approach to be able to copy-cat.

As I said before, Mike put it best:"Just because you shot Jesse James don't make you Jesse James". That much is an indisputable fact at this point.

Sadako of Girth
Well whilst you're going to those lengths to divert blame onto those who were not directly involved, why not make it the fault of the air plane manufacturer, or the passengers themselves, or the wright brothers..? Are you saying that the air authorities had future knowledge of what would happen if the Dad had returned to work and let him anyhow?
Cause and effect are what you ignore. What happened happened, and if Walt had saved Jane, all those people on those planes would have lived. Fact. Ergo: Walt's decision impacted on the lives of those passengers.

Right. You're preaching to the converted but Walt's ego would most likely disagree. Walt'll be allowed out of the game when the european conglomerate SAY he can leave the game.
"Just when you think you're out, they pull you back in."

TheGodKiller
Well whilst you're going to those lengths to divert blame onto those who were not directly involved, why not make it the fault of the air plane manufacturer, or the passengers themselves, or the wright brothers..? Are you saying that the air authorities had future knowledge of what would happen if the Dad had returned to work and let him anyhow?
Cause and effect are what you ignore. What happened happened, and if Walt had saved Jane, all those people on those planes would have lived. Fact. Ergo: Walt's decision impacted on the lives of those passengers.

Right. You're preaching to the converted but Walt's ego would most likely disagree. Walt'll be allowed out of the game when the european conglomerate SAY he can leave the game.
"Just when you think you're out, they pull you back in."
Non-sequiter. The authorities were clearly aware that Don Margolis had just recently lost his only daughter, and in retrospect it would have been highly unwise to allow him to return to his job. The news reporting agencies within the fictional world of the show even make note of this fact. Walt's guilt only stops at Jane. He wasn't responsible for the lack of foresight which the air traffic agencies demonstrated by allowing a grieving father to return so soon to work.

Walt's ego is just that: Walt's ego. He had to manipulate Jesse by poisoning Brock so that he could have a shot at Gus. He never really stood a chance against the REAL PROFESSIONAL who was actually willing to let him go because of Jesse.

Walt is no Gus. For all his faux badass "authoritative" charade, despite all the mindless killer instinct, he'll never be Gus. Gus was the real kingpin. Walt has, and will always be, just the cook. And a highly unprofessional one at that.

Sadako of Girth
Actually its a follws sequence in classic fashion.
Jane lays dying on meth that Walt made, walt had chance to intervene and save her, but due to her attempt to oppose him and blackmail him, he let her die, the dad was distraught, and fu*ked up therefore at work killing like 200 people.
Distinct cause and effect/chain of events.
With respect, your proposed 'coulda woulda shouldas' mean nothing. What happened happened.
Walt was massively involved in her death and the consequences of it. Attempts on blaming the grieving dad's employers are meaningless.

At least you agree that he is attempting to emulate him.

TheGodKiller
Once again: Walt's guilt stops at Jane. What happened in the plane crash afterwards had mutiple other factors involved which you can't just conveniently dismiss as 'coulda woulda shouldas'. The air traffic agencies ****ed by letting a grieving father return to work so early.

Him emulating Gus doesn't necessarily mean that he has become the new Gus. Gus was in a league of his own. Simply put, Walt will never belong in that league, no matter what he does and how he does it.

Sadako of Girth
Cause and effect. Other elements were not as significant as the Walt element.
Some people return to work to attempt to stay focused on routine in such times. You say that, but still they did, and he in the state of grief over the daughter that Walt let die caused the crash.
The only thing that matters.

And Gus could never cook...Walt was doing both roles last season.

Lord Lucien
The airline is responsible for allowing Donald back to work, Donald's responsible for deciding to come back to work, Jesse's responsible for straying Jane back to drugs, Jane's responsible for the lifestyle choices she made that led her to that scenario, Walt is guilty for letting her die, and the manufacturer of the heroin is responsible for producing that heroin.

These are the factors of blame, but none are guilty. There is literally no one guilty of "causing" that plane crash. Only contributors in the chain of events that caused it. You could literally "blame" everything in existence for it, via the Butterfly Effect, but that makes no sense. But being guilty and feeling guilty are two different things. And someone understanding their role in it, and realizing the part in the chain they played, is totally valid and excusable.

The only thing that Walter is guilt of, regarding that situation, is purposefully allowing someone to die. As a measure of morality and guilt, that's an entirely separate issue.

ares834
Gus was in a league of his own. Simply put, Walt will never belong in that league, no matter what he does and how he does it.

What do you mean by this? Walt seems to be every bit as ruthless and intelligent as Gus.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by ares834
What do you mean by this? Walt seems to be every bit as ruthless and intelligent as Gus. Gus didn't have a family that tended to complicate things. Probably made it easier for Gus to be a Gus.

TheGodKiller
Cause and effect. Other elements were not as significant as the Walt element.
Some people return to work to attempt to stay focused on routine in such times. You say that, but still they did, and he in the state of grief over the daughter that Walt let die caused the crash.
The only thing that matters.

And Gus could never cook...Walt was doing both roles last season.
As Lucien put it:
The airline is responsible for allowing Donald back to work, Donald's responsible for deciding to come back to work, Jesse's responsible for straying Jane back to drugs, Jane's responsible for the lifestyle choices she made that led her to that scenario, Walt is guilty for letting her die, and the manufacturer of the heroin is responsible for producing that heroin.

These are the factors of blame, but none are guilty. There is literally no one guilty of "causing" that plane crash. Only contributors in the chain of events that caused it. You could literally "blame" everything in existence for it, via the Butterfly Effect, but that makes no sense. But being guilty and feeling guilty are two different things. And someone understanding their role in it, and realizing the part in the chain they played, is totally valid and excusable.

The only thing that Walter is guilt of, regarding that situation, is purposefully allowing someone to die. As a measure of morality and guilt, that's an entirely separate issue.
Which is pretty much what I have said: that Walt's guilt stops at Jane and Jane alone.

Walt did so with Mike's help. Gus had to build himself up after Don Eladio turned him into a glorified trophy hound. Walt can never be Gus.
What do you mean by this? Walt seems to be every bit as ruthless and intelligent as Gus.
He lacks Gus' class and sheer badassery.

Sadako of Girth
As Lucien put it:

Which is pretty much what I have said: that Walt's guilt stops at Jane and Jane alone.

"Walt was second handedly responsible for this incident because of his second hand involvement in the death of Jane. This ultimately culminated the results of Donald Margolis feeling grief-stricken and accidentally giving wrong instructions for the incident to occur."

"The second season ends with Donald, an air traffic controller, making a mistake at his job due to his despair over Jane's death. From his home, Walter watches two commercial airplanes crash into each other, unaware that he is indirectly responsible for it."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_White_(Breaking_Bad)

Vince Gilligan agrees with me:

"So what's the point of the ending, in your mind? Why is judgment falling from the sky onto Walt?

In simple terms, we just wanted a giant moment of showmanship to end the season. And what better way than to have a rain of fire coming down around our protagnoist's ears, sort of like the judgment of God? It seemed like a big showmanship moment, and to visualize, in one fell swoop, all the terrible grief that Walt has wrought upon his loved ones, and the community at large.

And it could seem like a deus ex machina moment, but of course Walt has created that moment by letting Jane die and sending her father over the edge.

In that moment, at the end of season two, he doesn't realize it, but he's responsible for the whole world figuratively coming to an end around him. It's not deus ex machina, there's another term we were talking about, Lucifer ex machina, "Devil from the machine" -- it's the opposite. It almost could feel kind of random, but it's not. It's a butterfly effect. All these gears have been turning, this particular outcome was stuff Walt put into motion a long time ago by choosing to cook crystal meth."

http://sepinwall.blogspot.co.uk/2009/05/breaking-bad-vince-gilligan-post.html

And Mike used to work for Gus.

Incorrect again, good sir.

3avhU0N5lJI

3YVis0HwZdM

dy_DASt7hDs

Goddamned right.

super pr*xy
walt made gus very reckless.. walt can act as a badass as much as he wants but he is just a school teacher/car wash owner/good-ass meth cook.. walt has no business in the drug world.. he can't run it like gus did.. gus wasn't even in the dea's radar until Salamanca blew half his face off.. walt got busted by a copy of "leaves of grass" which was given by the same guy whose death is being investigated by his brother-in-law..

ares834
Saying Walt is just a "school teach" is like calling Gus just a "fast food chain owner" it's utterly absurd.

Yes, Walt's operation wasn't as grand as Gus's but then the guy has only been around for less than a year! Plus he didn't have the Cartel's backing.

TheGodKiller
"Walt was second handedly responsible for this incident because of his second hand involvement in the death of Jane. This ultimately culminated the results of Donald Margolis feeling grief-stricken and accidentally giving wrong instructions for the incident to occur."

"The second season ends with Donald, an air traffic controller, making a mistake at his job due to his despair over Jane's death. From his home, Walter watches two commercial airplanes crash into each other, unaware that he is indirectly responsible for it."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_White_(Breaking_Bad)

Vince Gilligan agrees with me:

"So what's the point of the ending, in your mind? Why is judgment falling from the sky onto Walt?

In simple terms, we just wanted a giant moment of showmanship to end the season. And what better way than to have a rain of fire coming down around our protagnoist's ears, sort of like the judgment of God? It seemed like a big showmanship moment, and to visualize, in one fell swoop, all the terrible grief that Walt has wrought upon his loved ones, and the community at large.

And it could seem like a deus ex machina moment, but of course Walt has created that moment by letting Jane die and sending her father over the edge.

In that moment, at the end of season two, he doesn't realize it, but he's responsible for the whole world figuratively coming to an end around him. It's not deus ex machina, there's another term we were talking about, Lucifer ex machina, "Devil from the machine" -- it's the opposite. It almost could feel kind of random, but it's not. It's a butterfly effect. All these gears have been turning, this particular outcome was stuff Walt put into motion a long time ago by choosing to cook crystal meth."

http://sepinwall.blogspot.co.uk/2009/05/breaking-bad-vince-gilligan-post.html

What does linking a few random wiki pages prove? And Gillian is talking in a more generic tone about all the poor choices Walt made throughout the series. His main point is that everything in his life collapsed once he entered the crystal meth business. That doesn't disprove my point: that other factors every bit as relevant(if not more so) were involved in the air crash, and putting the blame solely on Walt is the wrong way to go. His guilt should logically stop at Jane.

And Mike used to work for Gus.

Which is the crucial difference here. Mike knew that Gus was the boss, he never treated Walter that way because Walt wasn't.

Incorrect again, good sir.
3avhU0N5lJI

3YVis0HwZdM

dy_DASt7hDs

Again, these don't prove anything. The show made it clear that next to Gus, Walt was just a big b1tch. Gus is leaps and bounds above Walt. Walt will never be the new Gus Fring as Mike rightfully put it so.

Mindset
Walt merely adopted the dark, Gus was born in it.

ares834
Which is the crucial difference here. Mike knew that Gus was the boss, he never treated Walter that way because Walt wasn't.

And because of that, Mike ultimately pays the price.

I'll admit, Gus is better at being a "Crime Lord" than Walt but I really don't see him as being leaps and bounds better. Not to mention he has been doing it for years.

Lord Lucien
Walt's a very convincing "beginner" crime lord. Gus is the convincing "seasoned" crime lord. Walt's character is very believable as becoming someone just as ruthless and efficient at running a criminal underworld as Gus is. The difference between the two, as the show has gone to great length to demonstrate, is that Walt has obvious weaknesses and liabilities. His family has been his motivation the entire time (mostly), to the extent that Gus threatening them forced Walt to act drastically. Walt also overreacted in the heat of the moment when Mike refused to give any names, letting his emotion cloud judgement. Gustavo made errors, but we never saw a lapse in judgement so severe from him.

As long as there's a deep emotional connection between Walt's character and others, he'll never be able to successfully establish and run a criminal empire, at least a well or as long as Gus did. He's even gone out of his way to protect and keep Jesse close. There's upward of 6 people (maybe nit Hank anymore) that matter to Walt and will alter how he acts/behaves, for good or bad. That's 6 more than Gustavo had (after what's his face died).

And all that is part of what makes Walt such an amazing character, and the evolution of that intricate dynamic is wonderfully done.

Sadako of Girth
What does linking a few random wiki pages prove? And Gillian is talking in a more generic tone about all the poor choices Walt made throughout the series. His main point is that everything in his life collapsed once he entered the crystal meth business. That doesn't disprove my point: that other factors every bit as relevant(if not more so) were involved in the air crash, and putting the blame solely on Walt is the wrong way to go. His guilt should logically stop at Jane.

Attacking the source to avoid addressing the fact that others se it that way isn't always wise. Its clear that others regard Walt as being responsible, including the creator of the show.

No. Gilligan is referring to Walt's responsibility for 515.
Of course other factors are relevant in this "butterfly effect", but none so much as Walt. Look at it this way: The windscreen would go on to have lots of other cracks snake their way across it, but Walt was the original stone that chipped it, causing the crack..

And as noted above by Ares, Mike is dead because of it.

They prove his genius and badassery which you disputed.
That 'big *****' did what so many others in time had failed to do...and killed Gus. He didn't so 'leapy and boundy' when Walt was done with him. Gus and Mike are both dead...killed by Walt.

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by Mindset
Walt merely adopted the dark, Gus was born in it.

Gus adopted it as well. Who's to say Gus would have turned out the way he did if Don Eladio had not killed his "brother". Nothing is known about his life in Chile to suggest he was already the way he was. The same way Walt and Jesse went to Gus was pretty much the same way Gus and Max went to Eladio.

Lord Lucien
Gus adopted it as well. Who's to say Gus would have turned out the way he did if Don Eladio had not killed his "brother". Nothing is known about his life in Chile to suggest he was already the way he was. The same way Walt and Jesse went to Gus was pretty much the same way Gus and Max went to Eladio. It was a glib Bane reference.

ares834
Walt's a very convincing "beginner" crime lord. Gus is the convincing "seasoned" crime lord. Walt's character is very believable as becoming someone just as ruthless and efficient at running a criminal underworld as Gus is. The difference between the two, as the show has gone to great length to demonstrate, is that Walt has obvious weaknesses and liabilities. His family has been his motivation the entire time (mostly), to the extent that Gus threatening them forced Walt to act drastically. Walt also overreacted in the heat of the moment when Mike refused to give any names, letting his emotion cloud judgement. Gustavo made errors, but we never saw a lapse in judgement so severe from him.

As long as there's a deep emotional connection between Walt's character and others, he'll never be able to successfully establish and run a criminal empire, at least a well or as long as Gus did. He's even gone out of his way to protect and keep Jesse close. There's upward of 6 people (maybe nit Hank anymore) that matter to Walt and will alter how he acts/behaves, for good or bad. That's 6 more than Gustavo had (after what's his face died).

And all that is part of what makes Walt such an amazing character, and the evolution of that intricate dynamic is wonderfully done.

I'd agree. Walt also has another apparent Achilles heel, his pride.

Mindset
Gus adopted it as well. Who's to say Gus would have turned out the way he did if Don Eladio had not killed his "brother". Nothing is known about his life in Chile to suggest he was already the way he was. The same way Walt and Jesse went to Gus was pretty much the same way Gus and Max went to Eladio. Wrong.

Lestov16
Well I don't think Jesse is going to turn Walt in...yet, but I think he's going to find out about Brock's poisoning. God can;t imagine what's going to happen if/when he finds out about Jane, which Walt could tell him in one of his "I am the danger!" speeches.

Lord Lucien
I'm hoping that Walt tells Hank he is the danger, and Hank tells Walt he is the law.

I was visibly startled when the episode ended. I love being that engrossed in a show. I look forward to not feeling that as I go to watch Dexter.

Sadako of Girth
Another great episode..this series shows no sign of pussying out whatsoever. None.

Holy shit the preview for next week sounds intense...!!

Sounds like Saul is desperate and his life may be in danger, judging by the audiobite. Sounds like a confrontation taking place outside. As does the Jesse dialogue.

Lestov16
That opening scene with both Walt and Hank trying to reach Skyler was amazingly tense. I loved it. I'm kind of hoping Skyler doesn't bite it now considering that she could have easily wrecked Walt's shit but didn't.

TheGodKiller
Attacking the source to avoid addressing the fact that others se it that way isn't always wise. Its clear that others regard Walt as being responsible, including the creator of the show.

No. Gilligan is referring to Walt's responsibility for 515.
Of course other factors are relevant in this "butterfly effect", but none so much as Walt. Look at it this way: The windscreen would go on to have lots of other cracks snake their way across it, but Walt was the original stone that chipped it, causing the crack..

And as noted above by Ares, Mike is dead because of it.

They prove his genius and badassery which you disputed.
That 'big *****' did what so many others in time had failed to do...and killed Gus. He didn't so 'leapy and boundy' when Walt was done with him. Gus and Mike are both dead...killed by Walt.
I am not attacking the source though. And honestly speaking, it does appear that he's talking in a more generic tone.

Mike is dead because Walt failed to realize it soon enough that he could have gotten the names of those witnesses from Lydia. The difference is that Mike respected and feared Gus, while he never did so with Walt.

I never disputed his genius but he's certainly no badass. A selfish coward who lies and manipulates even to those who are closest to him, that's what Walter White is, not Gustavo Fring II.

Nephthys
The Pirate King, Walter D White! Before they executed him, his words inspired a new generation of meth traders. "My treasure is yours for the taking, if you can find it. I left everything I own in one piece!"

Sadako of Girth
I am not attacking the source though. And honestly speaking, it does appear that he's talking in a more generic tone.

Mike is dead because Walt failed to realize it soon enough that he could have gotten the names of those witnesses from Lydia. The difference is that Mike respected and feared Gus, while he never did so with Walt.

I never disputed his genius but he's certainly no badass. A selfish coward who lies and manipulates even to those who are closest to him, that's what Walter White is, not Gustavo Fring II.

But tone aside he was addressing Walt's being responsible for 515.

And Walt was smart enough to capitalise on that and kill Mike.
Something so many had tried to do before and failed.

His badassery has been seen. Have a look at the clips I provided. Not all badassery is in neccesarily in Rambo-ic form.
Well he certainly (going back to my original point) was emulating Gus when talking to Lydia last week.

Nephthys
There was nothing smart about Walt killing Mike nor was it to get the names. He killed him out of pure spite and anger over someone who he feels should respect and be grateful to him insulting him instead. If he'd really wanted the names he wouldn't have immediately shot him like he did, which would only guarantee he wouldn't get them. Like in the last episode with Hank he was walking away before thinking **** it and gives into his base impulses and emotions.

And that is why he is no Gus Fring.

Sadako of Girth
Mike was a walking nightmare as an adversary, very cautious and experienced and Walt getting the drop on him took some doing.

Nephthys
No it didn't, he literally just walked up to him in anger and shot him.

Sadako of Girth
The last thing that Mike would have expected from Walt, the man he wasn't scared of and didn't respect. He was under Mike's cosh for seasons; Smart is very dumb style sometimes and timing is everything. Walt capitalised when the tiem was 'right'.
How he got rid of almost everyone else including Gus was more classy/chessy though.

ares834
There was nothing smart about Walt killing Mike nor was it to get the names. He killed him out of pure spite and anger over someone who he feels should respect and be grateful to him insulting him instead. If he'd really wanted the names he wouldn't have immediately shot him like he did, which would only guarantee he wouldn't get them. Like in the last episode with Hank he was walking away before thinking **** it and gives into his base impulses and emotions.

T1L6jQ0Pfrw

Nephthys
That wasn't the same. Gus carefully took his clothes off and put of the lab clothes and then killed Victor deliberately and brutally to make a point. He wasn't doing it out of bruised ego or frustrated anger; like everything he did he was calculated and in control of his emotions. Which is the fundamental difference between he and Walt. Walt lets his ego and emotions control his actions while Gus has insane self-control at nearly all times.

The last thing that Mike would have expected from Walt, the man he wasn't scared of and didn't respect. He was under Mike's cosh for seasons; Smart is very dumb style sometimes and timing is everything. Walt capitalised when the tiem was 'right'.
How he got rid of almost everyone else including Gus was more classy/chessy though.

That doesn't make it smart on Walts part. He wasn't waiting for the opportunity to kill Mike and cleverly took advantage of a slip up, he lost control and offed him in a moment of vulnerability. Mike had no way to predict that Walt would senselessly murder him for no reason. Its not on Walt being smart, its on Mike for not realising just how monstrous Walt really is.

ares834
Nah, I'd definitely say that was down out of frustration and anger. Even Mike was shaken up by Gus there. Yes, Walt lets his ego get the better of him more than Gus, it's arguably one of his biggest flaws. But Gus still has an ego which is why he is always gloating to Hector.

Sadako of Girth
That wasn't the same. Gus carefully took his clothes off and put of the lab clothes and then killed Victor deliberately and brutally to make a point. He wasn't doing it out of bruised ego or frustrated anger; like everything he did he was calculated and in control of his emotions. Which is the fundamental difference between he and Walt. Walt lets his ego and emotions control his actions while Gus has insane self-control at nearly all times.

That doesn't make it smart on Walts part. He wasn't waiting for the opportunity to kill Mike and cleverly took advantage of a slip up, he lost control and offed him in a moment of vulnerability. Mike had no way to predict that Walt would senselessly murder him for no reason. Its not on Walt being smart, its on Mike for not realising just how monstrous Walt really is.

Both were ones for long term games/depthful strategy and both also had restraint and facades of cunning.
Walt probably slightly less so due to the big c feeling like a ticking clock to him, but yeah the biggest shame was that we never got to see them face off on a Chessboard.
Would have been a hell of a game.
(Gus would take it in Poker though. No reads or tells on THAT face.)

Nephthys
Nah, I'd definitely say that was down out of frustration and anger. Even Mike was shaken up by Gus there. Yes, Walt lets his ego get the better of him more than Gus, it's arguably one of his biggest flaws. But Gus still has an ego which is why he is always gloating to Hector.

Hmm, I take it as Victor needing to be dealt with, as he'd allowed himself to be seen, overstepped his bounds by trying to cook the meth and in general ****ed up the situation. Also it was to intimidate Jesse and Walt and try to get them in line. I believe Walt speculated about his motives in a few episodes. I do think he was frustrated and angry, but he wasn't controlled by it. Recall that as well as being able to calmly change clothes, Gus had to go through the whole day after being told, just doing his usual business, again demonstrating how in control he was. In his position Walt would have blown everything off, rushed over and then thought up a weak excuse later on.

But yes, his one flaw was Hector and his past. But even then he was incredibly patient in dealing with the cartel and very careful with Hector. Again, he was mostly in control.

Lord Lucien
Hmm, I take it as Victor needing to be dealt with, as he'd allowed himself to be seen, overstepped his bounds by trying to cook the meth and in general ****ed up the situation. Also it was to intimidate Jesse and Walt and try to get them in line. I believe Walt speculated about his motives in a few episodes. I do think he was frustrated and angry, but he wasn't controlled by it. Recall that as well as being able to calmly change clothes, Gus had to go through the whole day after being told, just doing his usual business, again demonstrating how in control he was. In his position Walt would have blown everything off, rushed over and then thought up a weak excuse later on.

But yes, his one flaw was Hector and his past. But even then he was incredibly patient in dealing with the cartel and very careful with Hector. Again, he was mostly in control. This.

I know people really like to think that Walt is the pinnacle of calculating master criminal genius, but the man has a host of flaws that tend to f*ck things up. In the course of a single year he's gotten himself in to many a deadly pickle that he's barely escaped from. And that's what makes him such a f*cking awesome character. He's not Gus, he's Walt. He's very, very different from than other character. And thank God he is.

Major_Lexington
Yeah Walt is overcome with his Ego at times, its going to be interesting how this all pans out now.

TheGodKiller
But tone aside he was addressing Walt's being responsible for 515.

And Walt was smart enough to capitalise on that and kill Mike.
Something so many had tried to do before and failed.

His badassery has been seen. Have a look at the clips I provided. Not all badassery is in neccesarily in Rambo-ic form.
Well he certainly (going back to my original point) was emulating Gus when talking to Lydia last week.
Eh, let's just agree to disagree on the Jane part.

I don't believe that Walt is a Gus-level character at this point in the show, but I'll wait and see if he does things in the coming episode that put him on his level.

Lestov16
Walt may have had killed 10 witnesses killed, but Gus killed an entire cartel, while putting himself in the line of fire and avoiding danger.

TheGodKiller

I couldn't have put it any better myself.

Sadako of Girth
Walt may have had killed 10 witnesses killed, but Gus killed an entire cartel, while putting himself in the line of fire and avoiding danger.

With Mike and Jesse saving his ass.

quanchi112
I find it funny people are proclaiming Walt is no Gus Fring. They are right. Both have their strengths and weaknesses but Walt killed Gus. Walt beat him and despite an entire operation against him.

Walt>Gus. Gus died after be lost the chess game against Walt.

super pr*xy
just saw episode 510.. they really know how to end an episode.. is it sunday yet?

do you guys think walt might use the ricin on jesse?

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by super pr*xy
just saw episode 510.. they really know how to end an episode.. is it sunday yet?

do you guys think walt might use the ricin on jesse?

At this point, I dont know. I'm thinking Lydia and Todd will force Walt to cook and that probably wont work and his family will pay the price. The M60 could be for Todd and his people. I don't want Jesse to talk but at this point is looking likely.

Sadako of Girth
I thought the same.

Nephthys
Walt killing Jesse would always be the one irredeemable act he could do in my eyes. I'm not sure if he'd ever actually cross that line.

Darth Vicious
Walt killing Jesse would always be the one irredeemable act he could do in my eyes. I'm not sure if he'd ever actually cross that line.

Even more so than Jane? Her only crime was being a biotch to Walt and being a junkie. Jesse tends to be a biotch himself sometimes, he is a junkie and killed before.

super pr*xy
walt didn't kill jane, though.. he let her die..

i think jesse will die.. could be suicide or homicide..

Sadako of Girth
And made the 99% pure meth she used..... Just sayin'...

Lord Lucien
Even more so than Jane? Her only crime was being a biotch to Walt and being a junkie. Jesse tends to be a biotch himself sometimes, he is a junkie and killed before. He's gone through too much to protect Jesse and keep him close. Having the show end with him then killing him would feel... very inconsistent and unbelievable. The other way around, absolutely. But Walt killing Jesse in anything short of desperate self defence would reek of trying to hard to be momentous on the writers' parts.

And made the 99% pure meth she used..... Just sayin'... I thought she OD'd on heroin?

Nephthys
Even more so than Jane? Her only crime was being a biotch to Walt and being a junkie. Jesse tends to be a biotch himself sometimes, he is a junkie and killed before.

He only let her die, which was terrible but hardly comparable. Besides which is that he obviously did that FOR Jesse, to keep him close and also so he wouldn't throw his life away with her. As Jesse later admitted, they probably would have OD'ed in a week with all that cash anyway. Jesse has always been the one aspect of his life where Walt will do the right thing in the end. Yes he's abusive to him, but he's also risked his life for Jesse and done loads to protect him and keep him close.

Walt killing him would signal Walt truly becoming irredeemable.

Sadako of Girth
Which is what makes it seem a logical progression.

Mindset
Jesse can't die.

He's immortal.

Omega Vision
I was surprised about Walt telling Saul that Hank was "off limits"

I mean, I expected him to not relish the idea of killing a family member, but I'd at least expect him to consider it at this point, after all he's done. Seems like an arbitrary moral line in the sand to me.

Mindset
Originally posted by Omega Vision
I was surprised about Walt telling Saul that Hank was "off limits"

I mean, I expected him to not relish the idea of killing a family member, but I'd at least expect him to consider it at this point, after all he's done. Seems like an arbitrary moral line in the sand to me. You think killing a family member is an arbitrary line?

OV confirmed for sociopath.

Omega Vision
You think killing a family member is an arbitrary line?

OV confirmed for sociopath.
After all that Walt has done, it seems somewhat arbitrary that that's a "step too far."

Between poisoning a kid and murdering a partner, Walt is pretty close to absolute monster status.

The one explanation I can see is that family is the last sacred thing to Walt.

Nephthys
Walt didn't know that kid and actively disliked Mike, but Hank is his family. He doesn't give a shit about those two, but he does about Hank. Like all deeply selfish people, Walt doesn't seem to care about anyone not emotionally attached to himself. But as shown, when Walt does care about someone he is protective and seriously emotionally-tied to them. The entire series has been founded on how important family is to him, after all.

At least, thats how I see it.

Mindset
After all that Walt has done, it seems somewhat arbitrary that that's a "step too far."

Between poisoning a kid and murdering a partner, Walt is pretty close to absolute monster status.

The one explanation I can see is that family is the last sacred thing to Walt. There's a big difference between how most normal people view family and how they view everyone else. Even when discussing "normal" as it pertains to murderers.

TheGodKiller
Jesse can't die.

He's immortal.
Jesse should be the one to kill Walt.

Not that vial of ricin that Walt took from his house-in-ruins.

Lord Lucien

The one explanation I can see is that family is the last sacred thing to Walt. That has to be something built up to. Deciding to kill Hank immediately after his secret's out is too villainous and unbelievable. If that happens, it has to happen after a good few episodes of consideration and pushing. Can't be something the show just jumps in to right away.

samhain
I'm still convinced that Walt will go to prison then escape and go on the hunt for Hank, possibly because Hank killed Jesse. It would explain the whole 51st/52nd birthday thing. Plus, it's the kind of thing Walt would do, escape from prison using his scientific knowledge in some way.

Lestov16
I'm sorry Jesse, but I'm rooting for Walt to put a bullet in your head. No way can I not root for a guy who is able to pwn people like Walt did to Hank in this episode. Hank got owned!

Omega Vision
Now I'm picturing Jesse burning down the house while Junior and Molly are in it and he starts to loathe himself even more.

Lestov16
He'll probably stop short when he sees Walt Jr. Jesse needs to take a trip to Belize though....

quanchi112
The "confession" was phenomenal.

Mindset
Now I'm picturing Jesse burning down the house while Junior and Molly are in it and he starts to loathe himself even more. Picture me hooking you in the gabber m8.

Lestov16
thumb up Some of the best pwnage ever captured on film. Hank realizing that some of that drug money paid for his own surgery made it all the better smile

Mindset
I kept thinking Jesse was gonna die this ep.

I can't handle this stress!

quanchi112
thumb up Some of the best pwnage ever captured on film. Hank realizing that some of that drug money paid for his own surgery made it all the better smile I hate Hank. Everyone who opposed Walt needs to perish.

Mindset
Quan!!!

Lestov16
Originally posted by quanchi112
I hate Hank. Everyone who opposed Walt needs to perish.

Phuck and yes! smile Go Team Heisenberg!

Lord Lucien
Has the show done a Heisenberg Uncertainty joke yet? Do you think that'll be in the last episode?

Darth Martin
Jesse Pinkman is so ****ing annoying.

Lestov16
I hope Walt Mikes him.

Nephthys
I take it back. Walt is better than Gus after that absolute Masterstroke he pulled this episode. Thats got to be the greatest swerve I've ever seen on TV.

I hope Walt doesn't kill Jesse though. I still just can't see him actually doing it. At most he'll get the best of him but end up unable to pull the trigger. Calling it right now.

Lestov16
That's all dependent on if Jesse unknowingly char-grills Walt Jr.

Sadako of Girth
I don't think that thats what'll happen to Walt jnr.
Especially given RJ Mitte's commentary on the 3rd from last script.

I'm beginning to think that Jesse tells him, or even kidnaps him.
It could be that Walt was looking for the cigarette to prove to Jesse at some time in the future that it wasn't used...

Or it could be that a trial is coming up (these things take time to action, and that thats a happening thing in Walt's future timeframe) and that the cigarette is gonna be used to make a witness disappear..?
That might also explain the raided looking condition of the place... (If thats not Jesse's doing)

Maybe Walt takes Marie's advice and wants the cigarette for himself?

Looks like the collective genius that is Gilligan and co are totally keeping us guessing every last episode.

Lestov16
I think Jesse will probably just tell Walt Jr., which will create a further rift between Walt and Skylar. I think this series will end with Walt instigating the death of everybody he cares for and dying from his cancer. You are completely right Sadako, the writing for this show is amazing.

Darth Martin
I take it back. Walt is better than Gus after that absolute Masterstroke he pulled this episode. Thats got to be the greatest swerve I've ever seen on TV.

I hope Walt doesn't kill Jesse though. I still just can't see him actually doing it. At most he'll get the best of him but end up unable to pull the trigger. Calling it right now. Chill. Gustavo Fring is by far the best thing that ever happened to this show.

samhain
Best confession ever! The scene at the restaurant was awesome too.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>