Star Wars - Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Digi
I could not find a thread on this.

One of my favorite games of all-time. Maybe my #1 ever for the time that I played it. It still holds up, but I'd be lying to say it hasn't become a little dated (not just graphics).

I have downloaded this on Steam and I'm giving it a full playthrough.

ALSO. I am recording my full play-through, and I'm releasing them as individual levels on my youtube account with color commentary on each. This isn't so much because I have an active youtube fanbase (though one of my vids hit 100K views). They're almost entirely WoW fans that follow me because I blog for a WoW website occasionally. But it's more just for me, to amuse myself, and to have a record of me playing through one of the games that elicits the fondest memories from my youth.

So...

Anyone else love this game? Have stories, etc.?

More soon. I may falter and give up on my video project, but right now it seems very fun.

dadudemon
My enjoyment of this series did not occur until Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy.

I did not like Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II. It was too clunky, to me. I was used to playing very well polished 3D games on the N64 so games like this one just seemed so cheap and lame to me. However, when Jedi Academy rolled around, I enjoyed that game quite a bit. It is very similar to its predecesors. If you enjoyed Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II as much as I enjoyed Academy, then you probably played it through at least twice. I rarely play through games more than once so for me to play through a game twice is absurd.

What did you think of Academy, Digi? Did you like it as much as Dark Forces II?

Also, we need a game with a virtual 1 to 1 mapping of your movements to a mo-fuggin' lightsaber so we can finally have our long-awaited lightsaber game!

Digi
Originally posted by dadudemon
My enjoyment of this series did not occur until Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy.

I did not like Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II. It was too clunky, to me. I was used to playing very well polished 3D games on the N64 so games like this one just seemed so cheap and lame to me. However, when Jedi Academy rolled around, I enjoyed that game quite a bit. It is very similar to its predecesors. If you enjoyed Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II as much as I enjoyed Academy, then you probably played it through at least twice. I rarely play through games more than once so for me to play through a game twice is absurd.

What did you think of Academy, Digi? Did you like it as much as Dark Forces II?

I...played Dark Force, Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight II, then stopped. I have Academy in a pack I just bought on Steam, but may not get to it for a while (or ever). So, sorry I can't weigh in.

For one brief period, before Half-Life came out, Jedi Knight was PC Gamer's best game of all-time. So I wasn't the only one that loved it; the critical acclaim was quite high, even though the production values were better in subsequent titles. The level design in JK was superb, and is still what separates it from most modern shooters. It also took full advantage of the SW universe in terms of settings, bad guys, weapons, visual flavor, etc. making the most out of the technology of that time.

JKII was a step back, though still good. Lightsaber combat was more polished, but the game itself wasn't transcendent. The Academy trailers and press never excited me, so I didn't play it when it came out.

Ushgarak
DF II was definitely the best of the bunch. It had exceptionally good level design, which is what its legend was based on. That was never equalled again. The sabre combat was gimmicky but that was very forgiveable because of how good the atmosphere was and this being the first time anyone had made a game like that. The subsequent games kept trying to improve sabre combat but never really did, and it got less and less forgiveable. I can pretty much guarantee that you wouldn't be very big on Academy, Digi.

1-1 sabre combat will never happen, mostly because it wouldn't actually be any good. They'd have done it by now if it could reasonably be done and be enjoyable.

Digi
^ What Ush said. Though I think the cool thing about the lightsaber in JK was that it was just a situational play. The entire toolbox still needed to be utilized. It didn't hurt that, at the time, we hadn't really ever used a lightsaber in a video game, at least not in a 3D environment in a cool way. Like I said, it's aged, but at the time the lightsaber was a revelation.

Originally posted by Ushgarak
I can pretty much guarantee that you wouldn't be very big on Academy, Digi.

Sucks. Ah well.

Branlor Swift
I tried to buy all the Jedi Knight Games I could for Xbox recently... but at 80 plus dollars each...

I should probably get a better computer sometimes but laziness and all. I want to play all these games badly.

Peach
The Jedi Knight games were awesome. I had so much fun with them...

Kazenji
I played this one too after my friend was done playing with it and enjoyed it too with its FMV's and B-grade acting.

Digi
Originally posted by Kazenji
I played this one too after my friend was done playing with it and enjoyed it too with its FMV's and B-grade acting.

That's hilarious that you pick those out as the talking points. The acting was...unfortunate. Good thing the gameplay was so good.

Kazenji
I know the acting was cheesy in the FMV's same with every other game that used it...but i enjoyed them.

Peach
Honestly, I think Academy may be my favorite of the JK games - I played it several times over. I also had way too much fun with the saber battle multiplayer part of it. I remember spending many an evening a few summers back playing that every night with a number of other KMCers (most who are no longer active on here). Was so much fun.

Digi
So I finished the video of level 1 today. Not sure how I feel about it.

But it's also obvious I've been watching a lot of Sqiddish videos recently, and most of the AC fans on KMC will know who that is.

I'm going to start going for broke in my approach to the level starting with the next vid. I was too thorough, patient, and generally not awesome in level 1. It needs to be more...manic.

-Pr-
Academy is my persoal favourite in the series, though a good chunk of that is due to the excellent mods done for it.

Peach
Ahahaha Squiddish is ****ing awesome. I miss his ACB vids. Beard Beard Action Beard!

Digi
Originally posted by Peach
Ahahaha Squiddish is ****ing awesome. I miss his ACB vids. Beard Beard Action Beard!

It's depressing. My stream of consciousness as I play is like a really toned-down Squiddiish, but then I listened to the audio from my video and was like "ah damnit, I'm nowhere near as funny as he is."

I still subscribe to his channel despite not having any games in common with him (he never plays AC multiplayer these days). Sometimes just watching him curse to high heaven in a shooter deathmatch is enough to brighten my day.

dadudemon
Originally posted by -Pr-
Academy is my persoal favourite in the series, though a good chunk of that is due to the excellent mods done for it.

It seems like this game was much better for PC.

Digi, when you get done with II and the one after (forget it's name), you'll be on to Academy.

Anyway, what's your youtube channel?

Peach
Well, of course it was better for PC. Same with the KOTORs. Half the fun of them is being able to mod the hell out of them.

Digi
It seems like this game was much better for PC.

Digi, when you get done with II and the one after (forget it's name), you'll be on to Academy.

Anyway, what's your youtube channel?

Once I have the first couple levels posted to my account, I'll post it. Check back here in a few days. Right now it's a bunch of very niche WoW videos, so not much you'd be interested in.

I'm not replaying Jedi Outcast. Academy would be the only other one I would play. And I might play Academy eventually, but Jedi Knight is really the reason I bought the collection off of Steam.

Digi
Level 1. Enjoy:

BfrhrPPkqac

Level 2 is...longer. I'm trying to figure out a compromise in the editing of it, so that it stays < 20mins. I also clean up my desktop so there's not a noisy Optimus Prime in the background (it won't play in full-screen for me due to newer OS, which I don't mind, but sucks for the video). So this video was, if anything, a trial run for what will hopefully be smoother video experiences in subsequent levels.

I was still figuring out the controls and particulars for some of the level. It's a relatively derpy experience.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Digi
Level 1. Enjoy:

BfrhrPPkqac

Level 2 is...longer. I'm trying to figure out a compromise in the editing of it, so that it stays < 20mins. I also clean up my desktop so there's not a noisy Optimus Prime in the background (it won't play in full-screen for me due to newer OS, which I don't mind, but sucks for the video). So this video was, if anything, a trial run for what will hopefully be smoother video experiences in subsequent levels.

I was still figuring out the controls and particulars for some of the level. It's a relatively derpy experience.

I can't watch it now. But, consider hitting ctrl+enter to get it to go to full screen. Let me know if that works.

Also, you can adjust your desktop screen resolution to match that of the game to get it to go full screen. Turn on "auto-hide" for your start bar and make your desktop background black and it will make your video recording "appearance" more professional. That, or move the game screen to your second monitor (if you have one) where the start bar is not located.

Also, boobs.

Peach
Your voice does not sound like what I would have expected laughing out loud

Also the constant swearing at enemies sounds like how I do when I'm playing a game. I crack up my friends on ventrilo all the time because I'm always swearing at inanimate objects and enemies for being idiots.

Digi
I can't watch it now. But, consider hitting ctrl+enter to get it to go to full screen. Let me know if that works.

Also, you can adjust your desktop screen resolution to match that of the game to get it to go full screen. Turn on "auto-hide" for your start bar and make your desktop background black and it will make your video recording "appearance" more professional. That, or move the game screen to your second monitor (if you have one) where the start bar is not located.

Also, boobs.

No no, like, it ONLY runs this way through Steam. There's a series of hotfixes in the directory files I had to perform just to get it to run at all, and then only in this windowed mode on particular settings. It hasn't adapted well to newer OS's. I may try to monkey with it, but I think I'm stuck like this.

Thanks though.

Also the constant swearing at enemies sounds like how I do when I'm playing a game. I crack up my friends on ventrilo all the time because I'm always swearing at inanimate objects and enemies for being idiots.

I use push-to-talk on Vent. Otherwise my random grumbling would likely get me kicked from my WoW guild.

Peach
Oh, we all use push to talk too. However I use ctrl as my PTT button, which is also the general "show enemy names" button in GW/GW2, so I have it held down most of the time stick out tongue

(also I'm the guild leader. So yeah. They're all as nuts as I am.)

Digi
I was able to get a better screen-to-game ratio by playing with my monitor's settings, though it's still only about 75% of the screen. Had forgotten about such tricks though. Thanks dudemon.

Digi
Working on the level 2 video now. Might have to split it into 2 parts, but I'm hoping I can cut it to under 20min.

So wait, what did you expect?

dadudemon
Level 1. Enjoy:

BfrhrPPkqac.

You're obviously from the Northeast. Accent oozing through. I'd say Jersey. Not too far from Atlantic City?

I was able to get a better screen-to-game ratio by playing with my monitor's settings, though it's still only about 75% of the screen. Had forgotten about such tricks though. Thanks dudemon.

That's awesome.

Also, the gameplay is very very smooth. You have a decent computer or is the game so outdated that it would run that smooth on anything?

So wait, what did you expect?

Honestly, you sound like a dude in his mid to late teens. I expected a more monotonous and boring voice over, too. no expression I guess with all of your goofy posts, I should have known better.

Digi
You're obviously from the Northeast. Accent oozing through. I'd say Jersey. Not too far from Atlantic City?

Even at my most Eastern locale, it probably still would've been considered the Midwest, and certainly where I live currently. So no dice there, though that's funny that you think that. East coast, I might grant you in terms of how it sounds, but I've heard Jersey accents. Mine is nothing like it.

Also, the gameplay is very very smooth. You have a decent computer or is the game so outdated that it would run that smooth on anything?

My computer is a friggin' rocket ship. There's nothing it can't run smoothly. Though yeah, the game itself is from about '97, so I'd imagine it doesn't take a high-end rig.

Though, ironically, the game itself started locking up randomly during my level 2 video. Like, down to 1-5 fps. Never had that happen with any game though, so I'm not sure what's up.

Honestly, you sound like a dude in his mid to late teens. I expected a more monotonous and boring voice over, too. no expression I guess with all of your goofy posts, I should have known better.

fdog

dadudemon
Even at my most Eastern locale, it probably still would've been considered the Midwest, and certainly where I live currently. So no dice there, though that's funny that you think that. East coast, I might grant you in terms of how it sounds, but I've heard Jersey accents. Mine is nothing like it.

You sound just like every native tech I know that works out of our Atlantic City office. They don't have very thick accents. It's subtle. Nothing like you see on Jersey shore. It just oozes through on certain words like "but" and "byte".

My computer is a friggin' rocket ship. There's nothing it can't run smoothly. Though yeah, the game itself is from about '97, so I'd imagine it doesn't take a high-end rig.

Though, ironically, the game itself started locking up randomly during my level 2 video. Like, down to 1-5 fps. Never had that happen with any game though, so I'm not sure what's up.

fdog

Some older games, if you can trick them into running, do this. Nothing you can do about it unless it's a very popular game that is still patched like Mechwarrior III: enthusiasts still patch that game...which is hilarious.

Digi
HL2uKftnA5g

The journey continues.

I'm going to start mixing up the format. I want to set some to music, speed it up, and remove my commentary.

{edit} for some reason it doesn't fill the entire youtube screen when I watch it here on KMC. Might be better to follow the link to the original?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.