Superman vs Silver Surfer-Race to Pluto

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Damborgson
they start on earth and see who can make it to Pluto and back in the shortest amount of time. Who wins?

JakeTheBank
Who do you like more?

Damborgson
Depends on my mood. Sometimes Kal, sometimes Norrin.

Cogito
Who cares?

Damborgson
Originally posted by Cogito
Who cares?

I CARE...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwvp3sbaQX1qii6tmo1_500.gif

.....You sunavabitch.....

dmills
http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc513/dmills31/ibuHpRo7vpIlfk_zps339ffbf7.gif

abhilegend
Superman.

Slaanesh
Surfer

Terryc250
Surfer

-Pr-
Surfer.

Batman-Prime
Surfer, though I think they are close in travel speed. Norrin should have the better start iow instant, while Kal has to accelerate.

abhilegend
Originally posted by Batman-Prime
Surfer, though I think they are close in travel speed. Norrin should have the better start iow instant, while Kal has to accelerate.
Except not.

Go here

-Pr-
Don't see how your link disproves what he said.

abhilegend
Originally posted by -Pr-
Don't see how your link disproves what he said.
Superman showed greater travel speed than surfer?

Nihilist
Who cares? not you! Maybe because Superman loses right?

Mindship
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Who do you like more? They're my two favorite characters. But since, imho, flying standing up trumps red undies-on-the-outside, I'm goin' with Soarin' Norrin'.

Cogito
Originally posted by Nihilist
not you! Maybe because Superman loses right?

erm

I'll acknowledge that Surfer probably wins. It's close though...close enough that I can say "who cares?".

golem370
Silver Surfer creates a force block of vibranium around Superman giving the SS time to cruise to Pluto

Newjak
I would place my money on Surfer

Starscream M
Originally posted by Newjak
I would place my money on Surfer why?

I think this distance is too short to really separate the two

abhilegend
So superman has better feats than surfer in travel speed overall but he still loses. KMC surfer strikes again.

Nihilist
erm

I'll acknowledge that Surfer probably wins. It's close though...close enough that I can say "who cares?". close enough not to care, but yet still made a point of posting despite not caring.

Surely you could have come up with a far better excuse?

Cogito
Originally posted by Nihilist
close enough not to care, but yet still made a point of posting despite not caring.

Surely you could have come up with a far better excuse?

Surely you don't care enough to actually be trolling me for not caring? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Originally posted by abhilegend
So superman has better feats than surfer in travel speed overall but he still loses. KMC surfer strikes again.

Sorry, any attempts to calculate travel speed are bull. You can't accurately tell distance or time, and last I checked those were the only two variables that matter.

Batman-Prime
Didn't Surfer was like a lightyear awaf from Thanos w/ig when Warlock gave him the go, and he didn't need a second to reach Thanos, though he missed the Gauntlet?

Personally I think that both are quite equal in travel speed, by feats and portrayals. Both are used to travel through the Universe and they never seem to have trouble to reach a destination when sh1t gets real.

JakeTheBank

Problem?

abhilegend
Surely you don't care enough to actually be trolling me for not caring? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Sorry, any attempts to calculate travel speed are bull. You can't accurately tell distance or time, and last I checked those were the only two variables that matter.
I'm not h1a8. Superman has better feats in both quantity and quality.Originally posted by Batman-Prime
Didn't Surfer was like a lightyear awaf from Thanos w/ig when Warlock gave him the go, and he didn't need a second to reach Thanos, though he missed the Gauntlet?

Personally I think that both are quite equal in travel speed, by feats and portrayals. Both are used to travel through the Universe and they never seem to have trouble to reach a destination when sh1t gets real.
Superman traveled 25 lightyears in moments.Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Problem?
Nothing. Just an observation.

Batman-Prime

Superman traveled 25 lightyears in moments.

How long were those moments?

Say Surfer traveled 1 LY in 1 second, I'm not sure, mind you. That would be 3.1536.000 x Speed of Light. Let's say Superman traveled 25 light years in one minute? Moments are vague that's why I said they should be close in high end travel speed.

MF DELPH
I'd say Surfer.

Though my reason is simply to spite abhilegend.

Batman-Prime
Originally posted by MF DELPH
I'd say Surfer.

You are an evil man and you disgust me uhuh

Endless Mike
Surfer unless this is PC Supes

Batman-Prime
Originally posted by Endless Mike

PC Supes would be so fast, he would reach Pluto 1000 Years before the Race started.

carver9
Surfer.

The guy crossed Galaxies in seconds.

Batman-Prime
Originally posted by carver9
Surfer.

Why are you lowballing him?

abhilegend
How long were those moments?

Say Surfer traveled 1 LY in 1 second, I'm not sure, mind you. That would be 3.1536.000 x Speed of Light. Let's say Superman traveled 25 light years in one minute? Moments are vague that's why I said they should be close in high end travel speed.
Moments means exactly that, moments. He's also crossed 3/4th of universe before SBP could throw a punch.Originally posted by MF DELPH
I'd say Surfer.

laughing out loudOriginally posted by Endless Mike
Not so fast sherlock.Originally posted by carver9
Surfer.

Where?

Batman-Prime
Moments means exactly that, moments. He's also crossed 3/4th of universe before SBP could throw a punch.
laughing out loud
Not so fast sherlock.
Where?

How many seconds is 1 Moment?

Silent Master
How many seconds is 1 Moment?

Batman-Prime
Originally posted by Silent Master

sneer

dmills
This is like one of those uber reality warper vs uber reality warper threads. At some point the levels of speed become so absurd that debating it seriously is about as productive as pissing into a high wind.

Dampyre
The Surfer wins this.

pym-ftw
Can surfer warp there and back?

Mindset
I'd say Surfer.

Though my reason is simply to spite abhilegend. Mod this man.

rotiart
If you guys are using pc superman I add in classic surfer. The one who could time travel....

He technically could get there before the thing started.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by rotiart
If you guys are using pc superman I add in classic surfer. The one who could time travel....

He technically could get there before the thing started.

So can Supes.

Philosophía
Surfer, though I think they are close in travel speed. Norrin should have the better start iow instant, while Kal has to accelerate. Superman is already on his way, by the time Surfer has registered that the race has started.

Couple that, with the fact that Superman has outsped Mandrakk's reality-blitzing missles (which is a ridiculous feat, but that's Final Crisis and Grant Morrison)

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i436/KMCPhilosophia/blitzrealityblitzing1.jpg
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i436/KMCPhilosophia/blitzrealityblitzing2.jpg

And this wouldn't be to Surfer's liking.

Batman-Prime

Philosophía
I think they are both aware when the race start. I think it will be like a normal start, with a countdown.

They start on Earth, so I think Superman has to take care of his Speed while in the atmosphere, except of this I was thinking of his Light Speed feat with the Shadow moon and that he had to work "hard" to reach that speed. It might take less then a second but I think that Surfer with his cosmic awareness and his cosmic powers (Board) is capable to get into his top speed instantly, while Supes would need some "nano?"-seconds.

Just my thoughs on this.

As for the Final Crisis. Imho Superman was operating at least on Trans level there if not Skyfather. And it's hard to judge how fast those reality missles were. They both have to percieve the 'start' of the race, be it a countdown or whatever else. Superman's perception and processing works much faster, so he'd start accelerating and heading towards Pluto exponentially faster, before Surfer would process that the race has started and start accelerating himself.

The race taking place on Earth and Superman restraining himself is a good point, if a bit inconsistent. Sometimes he reaches crazy speeds on Earth, sometimes a writer remembers that hey, that would wreck shit up. Let's not pretend that there haven't been instances (many of them) where Surfer wasn't able to reach his top speed 'instantly', or even close to that. There've been times where he's taken a while to reach lightspeed, or even less than that, and to my knowledge, there's no such thing as him "instantly" hitting his top speed, ever.

Yeah, he was ridiculously competent - but, like I said, that's Grant Morrison's Superman at his height. The missles were already launched, and they were about to blitz-sterilize reality, so Superman (and the others) had to act. Surfer's acceleration feats compare to that - and Superman accelerated even faster.

psycho gundam
isn't it dcnu superman?

Batman-Prime

Mindset

Philosophía
But wouldn't his Cosmic Awareness allow him to perceive the start at the very exact moment? I also imagine his Board and Power Cosmic to work like an explosion or like a Jet whose engines are at max power and at the start he releases the breaks. Superman imho can't do that, he has to accelerate, even though it won't take him long it's still a step behind such a "fast start".

Yeah, I always though he tries to take his time till he goes beyond the speed of sound so he won't do serious damage around him, though in the restaurant with Flash they talked and acted within a second they didn't move a lot. And in the very same comic he had to work also hard to grab Flash.
I agree on the Surfer but due to his Cosmic Powers, a plot device more or less, he can keep the collateral damage at bay.

He lifted infinity there, so yes he operated beyond his average self. In this Race I think we take their "average" and Supes would accelerate, to reduce damage and because of the instances where he had to work to reach a certain stpeed. The high end speed of both should be similar imho, at least that would be my guess how they would be portrayed in comics, so Surfer should, with a better start, reach Pluto a nanosecond before Supes. ^^

Whether cosmic awareness tells him "you have to accelerate in 3 seconds", or a countdown shows him 3,2,1 it's still the same thing - he is the one who has to initiate the action, and it's up to his perception and reaction time (which is considerably inferior to Superman) to do so. There is no automatic pilot, or stipulation that he 'programs' the board to start flying as soon as the bell rings, eventhough he himself hasn't percieved the fact that it's time to go.

The board doesn't instantly reach top speed - it has to accelerate, just like Superman.
Him being 'careful' once he reaches the speed of sound is inconsistent. There are a shitload more scenes where he isn't careful going far, far faster than sound, than the ones where he has to be extra-careful, though. I'm not sure why you think him working hard to grab Flash contradicts anything.

On 'average' Superman doesn't need to be careful when going faster than sound in Earth's atmosphere; the examples of him not needing to outweight the ones where he does to a ridiculous degree. Surfer doesn't instantly accelerate to his top speed even on his highest of ends, nevermind average, either.

Meh.

MF DELPH
Definitely Surfer now.

dmills
laughing out loud

-Pr-
Definitely Surfer now.

laughing out loud

Like you were ever going to vote for Superman before.

Philosophía
Definitely Surfer now. Your hate feeds me, magnumlactus.

Batman-Prime

Batman-Prime
Writing from a phone is a Pain in the Ass. This Forum needs an app.

ozz81
superman easily

Endless Mike
What about when Surfer searched the entire Earth in a few seconds? That would have required sped up perception as well.

Batman-Prime
What about when Surfer searched the entire Earth in a few seconds? That would have required sped up perception as well.
Or some rounds around the globe with an wide area cosmic awareness scan? That would make more sense considering his powers imo.

Endless Mike
But if he wasn't perceiving things that fast he wouldn't be able to process the information.

abhilegend
Kyle rayner did the same once, he just ordered his ring to scan the whole earth.

Endless Mike
If he was just scanning it remotely he wouldn't have needed to move

abhilegend
If he was just scanning it remotely he wouldn't have needed to move
Why not? He was not seen moving, he just left and came back. Though superman has searched entire earth twice "very quickly".

-Pr-
Pre Reboot Superman could hear every voice on Earth at the same time, and sort through them. Heck, he once scanned the entire Earth with his hearing looking for a specific heartbeat in a matter of seconds.

abhilegend
Pre Reboot Superman could hear every voice on Earth at the same time, and sort through them. Heck, he once scanned the entire Earth with his hearing looking for a specific heartbeat in a matter of seconds.
He couldn't hear lois' heartbeat in that particular instance hence why the search.

-Pr-
He couldn't hear lois' heartbeat in that particular instance hence why the search.

Wasn't talking about that.

Was talking about Bruce's heart in Return of Bruce Wayne.

abhilegend
Wasn't talking about that.

Was talking about Bruce's heart in Return of Bruce Wayne.
Yeah, that was awesome.

psycho gundam
surfer could hear bruce wayne's testicles making sperm

guy222
surfer

-Pr-
Originally posted by psycho gundam

Can probably feel them on his chin too.

abhilegend
He can only hear it and dream about it.

StyleTime
Can probably feel them on his chin too.
laughing out loud

psycho gundam
He can only hear it and dream about it. superman get's the real thing, though thumb up

abhilegend
superman get's the real thing, though thumb up
I was talking about surfer's lack of ability to make sperm. Thanks for ruining the joke.

Bouboumaster
Surfer can time travel, et go fast enough to rip time and space fabrics.

I think I'll go with him.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.