World of Warcraft hobby sparks US political row

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
Named as found:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19842704

Summary: Republicans attack a Democratic candidate on the basis that she plays an Orc Rogue in WoW and is hence backstabbing and untrustworthy.

This is, of course, hysterical, but also slightly disturbing- not just for being a callback to 'video games mess people up' thinking, which effectively insults the majority of the population, but also for using someone's hobby against them in such a manipulative sense. It's also a interesting angle- would they have tried this if she was playing a human Paladin? It's the first time I've seen a thing like this focus on what the person did within the game rather than just what the game was.

Zack Fair
Nothing the republicans do surprises me anymore.

-Pr-
Desparation tactics don't make them look very confident, tbh.

ArtificialGlory
Did you guys know that Breivik played WoW? Holy shit! WoW obviously breeds terrorists.

Digi
Well it's true. ****ing rogues and their conniving schemes. They steal my trinkets and rings, too. And for what? To lose miserably to me on the dps charts. Better gear, lower dps. It's a perfect metaphor for big government. They take all our tax money and give us back nothing good in return. 'MURICA!

A quote from the accused:
"This would seem to run contrary to the other stereotypes that we love to assign to gamers: that they are lazy, antisocial people who don't have a 'real life'," she said. "Maybe this will trigger some dialogue about our perceptions of gamers and the role that games can and should play in modern society."

...petty lies in the guise of a perfectly rational and forward-thinking individual.

____

Seriously though, this will become even more laughable in just another decade or so. The number of gamers, with the advent of smartphones and such, is insane, and only climbing. The quote is a perfect retort. She's clearly good at handling PR. The more I deal in marketing and PR, the more I've come to appreciate great reactions like hers.

Also, if we're basing this solely off of WoW character stereotypes, I'd actually be less inclined to vote for a Paladin. But that's me, on the inside (of WoW) looking out; the public perception of paladins is obviously much different.

BackFire
I only vote for Undead Rogues, personally.

Digi
Back in Wrath the biggest tards were DKs. Before that, in BC (and to a lesser extent, vanilla) it was hunters.

Or rather, those classes contained the highest concentration of tards. The class did not, by default, produce tard-ish behavior. They just happened to be the classes that the Call-of-Duty-style 16-year-olds gravitated toward.

I personally hate paladins for my own personal, legitimate reasons. But I can't remember a time when rogues were the most stigmatized.

dadudemon
The same thing can be done of stupid Democrats, too.

Watch:

In related news, Democrat Joe Lieberman hates video games and gamers: he wants them censored (despite ratings). He also hates free speech and wants to turn every citizen into "big brother" by bringing back the paranoia of the "Red Scare" to the internet but instead of hating "commies", it is hating "suspicious terror websites."

Man, those democrats sure are dumb.

Of course, not all dems are dumb. Just pointing out that there is idiocy from both sides.

I don't think this topic is be represented completely. Colleen Lachowicz, the democratic candidate from Maine vying for Republican Tom Martin's senate seat, says some pretty off-color things.

One of those that was particularly disturbing was, "Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go and hunt down Grover Norquist and drown HIM in my bathtub."

Gorver Norquiest is a conservative (right wing) lobbyist and...well...a joke teller. I'm sure he took that comment for a grain of salt. But that does not excuse Colleen's statement. She's definitely not going to win with shit like that.

However, that website setup to smear and point out what a horrible person Colleen is...is mostly pathetic. I say mostly because she said a couple of things that were probably...not good to say. However, I did enjoy her sometimes witty commentary and how free she is with her cursing. HOOORAY! We need more real people like that...just less violent.

Digi
Originally posted by dadudemon
The same thing can be done of stupid Democrats, too.

Well sure, but...who is saying it's limited to only the Republicans? Stupid is everywhere. The point is: 1. lulz. 2. This is dumb.

Lieberman's a horrible example of a Dem, btw. Didn't he switch parties not too long ago?

But also, be honest, if you saw this story in a vacuum, with no mention of party, which party would you think it is? I'm not a democrat. I disagree with too much on either side to be able to claim one of the major parties. But I find it hard to say the crazy is equally distributed right now in our country.

Tzeentch._
Don't do it, Digi!

dadudemon
Originally posted by Digi
Well sure, but...who is saying it's limited to only the Republicans? Stupid is everywhere. The point is: 1. lulz. 2. This is dumb.

Lieberman's a horrible example of a Dem, btw. Didn't he switch parties not too long ago?

But also, be honest, if you saw this story in a vacuum, with no mention of party, which party would you think it is? I'm not a democrat. I disagree with too much on either side to be able to claim one of the major parties. But I find it hard to say the crazy is equally distributed right now in our country.

I have no idea who it would be because I would equally suspect the same bullshit from either party. Or did you forget the libtards during the 2008 presidential election claiming that Palin's baby was actually her teenage daughter's but Paling was just covering up for her daughter's slutty ways? Sounds every bit like the retarded bullshit your are trying to claim that the Republicans are.

It's more like I'm suspicious of both parties for being idiots and censors of freedom. I don't say shit like, "tsk tsk...another dumb thing republicans have done." They all do stupid shit...they even do the same kind of stupid shit.

Tzeentch._
Dadudemon's right, guys.

ares834
Umm... It was Palin's daughter's baby.

Edit: Oh, youre talking about the other baby.

Ushgarak
Yeah, I really don't care who was Republican and who Democrat in this setup- this is not a political debate about stupid Republicans, else it would be in the GDF. It's the subject matter that is the point here, especially the detailed way in which they are making the issue out of what type of character she plays instead if just the game she is playing, and in turn the counterpoint that is the growing social acceptance of gaming that makes such attacks look silly.

Tzeentch._
I dunno. If these peoples' rhetoric was actually accepted by someone, somewhere, than I could see the cultural significance.

As it stands, the comment seem more like the sort of typical retard thing you expect politicians to say.

BackFire
Back in Wrath the biggest tards were DKs. Before that, in BC (and to a lesser extent, vanilla) it was hunters.

Or rather, those classes contained the highest concentration of tards. The class did not, by default, produce tard-ish behavior. They just happened to be the classes that the Call-of-Duty-style 16-year-olds gravitated toward.

I personally hate paladins for my own personal, legitimate reasons. But I can't remember a time when rogues were the most stigmatized.

Bubble hearth?

Rogues used to get a lot of hate on PVP realms because of how easy it is to gank with them and then escape from any repercussions.

Really, the hate rolls with any class who is the current flavor of the month over powered class.

Digi
Originally posted by BackFire
Bubble hearth?

In my brief stint in PvP they were the most unkillable class for me. Rogues, by comparison, were no big deal despite their reputation.

And yeah, BS like bubble hearth, and their OP hybrid functionality for things like high-end soloing endeavors.

Also just a boring class imo. Probably the last I'd choose if forced to re-roll.

Originally posted by Ushgarak
Yeah, I really don't care who was Republican and who Democrat in this setup- this is not a political debate about stupid Republicans, else it would be in the GDF.

Thus my initial response.

I'm happy to drop the political aspect of it. Didn't want it heading there in the first place, but apparently my comments fueled dudemon's reaction.

dadudemon
Originally posted by ares834
Umm... It was Palin's daughter's baby.

Edit: Oh, youre talking about the other baby.

Yes. big grin thumb up

Yeah, I really don't care who was Republican and who Democrat in this setup- this is not a political debate about stupid Republicans, else it would be in the GDF. It's the subject matter that is the point here, especially the detailed way in which they are making the issue out of what type of character she plays instead if just the game she is playing, and in turn the counterpoint that is the growing social acceptance of gaming that makes such attacks look silly.

No, you are definitely correct. I was responding to Digi (and two others), not you. You were very neutral in your opening post about it. My bad for doing seeming derailing. It just seemed like the direction of the thread was "GOP is dumb, haha".

Ushgarak
Fair enough!

I really am pondering this idea of targeting people for what they play, though. Once it becomes impossible to attack someone just for playing games- because pretty much everyone will have done at some point- does it become about the way you play them?

General Kaliero
"Your honor, the prosecution would like to note that the defendant's Mass Effect record shows a steep inclination to Renegade tactics, indicating a general disregard for laws and others' well being..."

Peach
Fair enough!

I really am pondering this idea of targeting people for what they play, though. Once it becomes impossible to attack someone just for playing games- because pretty much everyone will have done at some point- does it become about the way you play them?

Considering how many idiots still believe that games cause people to be violent, I wouldn't be surprised.

Digi
I brought this up in guild chat yesterday. We had a fun conversation about what classes would be good with certain demographics.

And for the record, our primary raid leader and most prominent rogue agreed with the article. "I wouldn't vote for MYSELF, let alone another rogue" he said at one point. I think they're actually onto something when even other rogues won't defend her.

biscuits

Originally posted by Peach
Considering how many idiots still believe that games cause people to be violent, I wouldn't be surprised.

I still have to hide WoW from girlfriends and such, at least for a while. General video gaming, no big deal. My current gf is even into playing XBox with me. But WoW's a different level.

Ushgarak
Just as a post-script, I understand this person won. Victory for the Horde, it seems, and presumably America will soon have to give in to its new Orcish overlords.

Digi
Just as a post-script, I understand this person won. Victory for the Horde, it seems, and presumably America will soon have to give in to its new Orcish overlords.

lol, excellent commentary.

Peach
Haha, yes.

And Digi, WoW is only seen "on a different level" because of the obsessive way so many players all but dedicate their life to it.

Digi
Haha, yes.

And Digi, WoW is only seen "on a different level" because of the obsessive way so many players all but dedicate their life to it.

Oh, I get why there's a stigma, and I agree to an extent. It's just...you can't say you play even if it doesn't absorb too much of your time. The same perception of obsession gets applied regardless.

And it's more than any one other video game, granted, but no less than some spend (money or time) on games collectively. Which is mildly upsetting when, say, I only "beat" 3-4 games a year, but play WoW on and off continuously, but someone with a stack of XBox games as tall as I am gets off comparatively easier.

For example, my coworker went home and played 20 minutes of Halo 4 on his lunch break. He clearly games as often as I do, or more so. But guess who takes flak at office gatherings? And of course I wouldn't have divulged the info to my coworkers, but my boss stumbled onto my youtube page at one point, so I couldn't hide it.

Digi
Mind you, this is a small gripe. I have a sense of perspective about the whole thing. But the often-undue stereotype does exist.

dadudemon

Glad to see she won: I like her personality and she doesn't mince words.

Newjak
Wait ... just...

Digi has a girlfriend!!! no expression

I never thought it possible stick out tongue

and I'm just playing, as to the thread it wouldn't surprise me if this kind of thing starts to happen more and more cause politicians will look for anything.

Digi
Originally posted by Newjak
Wait ... just...

Digi has a girlfriend!!! no expression

I never thought it possible stick out tongue

dafuq? I do ok for myself. The news isn't exactly revelatory.

Peach
I think he's just messing with you stick out tongue

And I have to say, "she plays video games!" is a silly reason to try and villianize someone. Gaming is something that a whole lot of people do as a hobby, and that includes politicians. As more and more people in our generation - you know, people who grew up on games - run for political seats...there's going to be a lot of people in politics who like to wind down with a Halo match or Pokemon battle or GW2 dungeon run.

dadudemon
...there's going to be a lot of people in politics who like to wind down with a Halo match or Pokemon battle or GW2 dungeon run.

I'd like to see concessions made because of losses in video games rather than wars.

Imagine the Israel-Palestine conflict resolved because two higher-ups played for wins and losses in a video game. big grin

Digi
I just can't wait until 20 years from now when some politician starts a speech: "I want to be the very best for my constituency, like no one ever was..."

Newjak
dafuq? I do ok for myself. The news isn't exactly revelatory. I was just messin, this was my first time hearing about your gf stick out tongue

-Pr-
Originally posted by Newjak
I was just messin, this was my first time hearing about your gf stick out tongue

thumb up

Don't worry Newjak, it wasn't just you.

Digi
I just don't parade my love life on the internet. Weirdos. no expression

That, and this is the first in a while to actually graduate from the casual dating category to full-on gf. I tend not to be the best at long-term, but I never go long in between some kind of involvement.

Newjak
Congrats man and I hope all the best for you with this one!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.