Superman vs Sinestro: 3 Rounds

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Blair Wind
Superman
http://i47.tinypic.com/23k09j.jpg

VS

Thaal Sinestro

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111126194803/marvel_dc/images/2/28/Thaal_Sinestro_001.jpg

Sinestro has both a Green Lantern ring and a Yellow ring. Full power and no depletion of energy will occur for these fight.

3 fights:

1) They fight in a Green Lantern comic book

2) They fight in a Superman comic book

3) They fight a KMC forum sanctioned battle

Will the Terrormonger strike fear into the Kryptonian? Will the Man of Steel knock out the scourge of the universe? FIGHT!

JakeTheBank
1.) Sinestro.
2.) Probably a split or the fight will end inconclusively with the edge to Sinestro.
3.) Depends.

Cogito
Would having a green and yellow ring together really make him more powerful, or is it just redundant?

Legit question

JakeTheBank
About as more powerful as giving a second gun to someone who already has one (bigger scale of course, but same concept).

Starscream M
wheres that superman pic from...he looks so badass

Cogito
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
About as more powerful as giving a second gun to someone who already has one (bigger scale of course, but same concept).

Would it? If Sinestro makes a fist construct would he make 2? One that's twice as strong?

I'm trying to think of instances where someone's had multiple spectrum rings on at the same time.

Guy rocked Red/Green in Blackest Night, but I can't recall if he interchanged use of them or if the power was combined. Kyle had every ring at the beginning of New Guardians, but had no feats...

Blair Wind
Originally posted by Cogito
Would it? If Sinestro makes a fist construct would he make 2? One that's twice as strong?

I'm trying to think of instances where someone's had multiple spectrum rings on at the same time.

Guy rocked Red/Green in Blackest Night, but I can't recall if he interchanged use of them or if the power was combined. Kyle had every ring at the beginning of New Guardians, but had no feats...

Guy was using a red knife on one hand and a green knife in the other - demolishing black lanterns. But I saw his effectiveness being due to the black lanterns weakness.

Blair Wind
1.) Sinestro.
2.) Probably a split or the fight will end inconclusively with the edge to Sinestro.
3.) Depends.

Depends on?

JakeTheBank
Depends on the stips of the forum battle, location, etc.

Blair Wind
Depends on the stips of the forum battle, location, etc.

Default forum battle.

Cogito
Originally posted by Blair Wind
Guy was using a red knife on one hand and a green knife in the other - demolishing black lanterns. But I saw his effectiveness being due to the black lanterns weakness.

I'll have to take a look when I get home, but I think you're right.

Having one yellow knife in one hand and a green knife in the other shouldn't be any more effective against Superman than two yellow knives or two green knives (made by the same ring).

"Id"
Would having a green and yellow ring together really make him more powerful, or is it just redundant?

Legit question
No they dont scale. If anything it makes certain, Sinestro can use the entire history, and feats as oppose to specifying Green or Yellow rings.

Blair Wind
Originally posted by "Id"
If anything it makes certain, Sinestro can use the entire history, and feats as oppose to specifying Green or Yellow rings.

thumb up

The purpose was to open up his entire history. And I do think Jake's answer applies: there is a slight power bump but it's not a full scale power add-on. Though, in John's run it seems having more than one ring makes you more powerful. Take it how you will.

-Pr-
1. Sinestro.
2. Superman eventually (he'd lose their first meeting but win when it counts).
3. Superman.

Cogito
Originally posted by -Pr-
1. Sinestro.
2. Superman eventually (he'd lose their first meeting but win when it counts).
3. Superman.
thumb up

Sin I AM
Sin
Sup
Sin

abhilegend
The last meeting between superman and sinestro went like this
Originally posted by abhilegend
Tanks explicit kill shots from Sinestro, Atrocitus and Larfleeze at once. Black ring doesn't amp characters' durability, so its all his own durability

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/Superman/th_BlackestNight6005.jpg
I'm not sure what sinestro having another ring would do for him when superman tanked his, atrocitus' and larfleeze's explicit killing attacks without flinching.

JakeTheBank
Black Lantern Superman =/= Superman, though.

And if he's already "dead", him not dying from Sinestro, Atrocitus, and Larfleeze attacking in concert isn't much of a feat that you can apply towards regular Superman.

ODG
Having more than one ring makes you more powerful. There's ample evidence of that. Just none that suggests that two rings makes you twice as powerful.

If this is current versions, as the pictures suggest, Sinestro takes all three. And he'd take all three without needing an extra ring or an unlimited charge. He's more powerful than he's ever been, including his pre-DCnU history. And current Superman, frankly, is not.

abhilegend

And if he's already "dead", him not dying from Sinestro, Atrocitus, and Larfleeze attacking in concert isn't much of a feat that you can apply towards regular Superman.
His durability wasn't amped like all BLs. He wasn't even scratched by that combined assault let alone the possibility of dying and sinestro was shown "killing" BLs left and right.

JakeTheBank
His durability wasn't amped like all BLs. He wasn't even scratched by that combined assault let alone the possibility of dying and sinestro was shown "killing" BLs left and right.

But he couldn't die from that attack to begin with, not without a Green Lantern to contribute. I don't see how that's something that applies to regular Superman. At all, really.

And if you do something think that feat is valid for regular non-Black Ring wearing Superman, it's certainly so far beyond his typical displays it may as well be rendered an incredibly high end feat. We saw Hank w/ rings manage to lay into Superman. I certainly don't think Hank w/ 10 Qwardian rings >= Sinestro, Atrocitus, and Larfleeze all attacking at once with the intent to kill. And we also know that any of the elite Lanterns on their own is capable of harming Superman conventionally, as well.

So, yeah. Not seeing how that example can even begin to be applied for regular Superman.

abhilegend
But he couldn't die from that attack to begin with, not without a Green Lantern to contribute. I don't see how that's something that applies to regular Superman. At all, really.

And if you do something think that feat is valid for regular non-Black Ring wearing Superman, it's certainly so far beyond his typical displays it may as well be rendered an incredibly high end feat. We saw Hank w/ rings manage to lay into Superman. I certainly don't think Hank w/ 10 Qwardian rings >= Sinestro, Atrocitus, and Larfleeze all attacking at once with the intent to kill. And we also know that any of the elite Lanterns on their own is capable of harming Superman conventionally, as well.

So, yeah. Not seeing how that example can even begin to be applied for regular Superman.
I don't see how he couldn't die there? He wasn't completely undead there as superboy and bart showed after that they were alive inside but slowly dying. Lanterns were killing BLs left and right. That and superman wasn't in danger of dying there, he wasn't even scratched and sinestro's desperate calling to hal to help him doesn't mean he was able to kill superman when he just before that swatted hal away.

That was a holding back superman. Later he nearly killed the same henshaw. Which lanterns are we talking about? Hal came with everything he had and superman tanked that while not fighting back. John had to attack his eyes after he shrugged off a blast that koed the league. An ion amped kyle's Id (heh, his Ids are more powerful than him. Hello oblivion!) managed to scratch him in the face when superman walked through his all out blast. Byrne superman pushed through a mindcontrolled kilowog's all out blast and later he stunned superman with two rings via a suckershot and after that superman was beating him while fighting mind-controll. This is superman, feats like these aren't outside his range.

-Pr-
As nice a feat as it is, the BL "amp" is too ambiguous to use it as some sort of bar for Superman's durability.

As much as I'd like to, it can't be used, I don't think.

abhilegend
As nice a feat as it is, the BL "amp" is too ambiguous to use it as some sort of bar for Superman's durability.

As much as I'd like to, it can't be used, I don't think.
There was no amp. BL Kal-L was getting his face messed up by superman's blows and superboy shattered his whole body apart by his TTK. Black ring seemed to downgrade durability actually seeing how even PG was able to tear flesh out of Kal-L's face with a blow.

-Pr-
There was no amp. BL Kal-L was getting his face messed up by superman's blows and superboy shattered his whole body apart by his TTK. Black ring seemed to downgrade durability actually seeing how even PG was able to tear flesh out of Kal-L's face with a blow.

I don't agree.

Nevertheless, a change is still a change, and can't be applied to the standard version of a character.

abhilegend
I don't agree.

Nevertheless, a change is still a change, and can't be applied to the standard version of a character.
Ok. Doesn't mean that I'm wrong.

If a character gets a power up which doesn't increases any of his powers but gives him other powers instead and he uses his standard powers, it can be used for his standard self AFAIK. There is no logical reason it shouldn't.

-Pr-
Ok. Doesn't mean that I'm wrong.

If a character gets a power up which doesn't increases any of his powers but gives him other powers instead and he uses his standard powers, it can be used for his standard self AFAIK. There is no logical reason it shouldn't.

Never said it did make you wrong, just that it wasn't usable.

We saw that people infected with black rings had their bodies affected. Whether you don't think it's an amp or not, fair enough, but it doesn't make it usable.

There was a time when I thought it was, but reading back, it's just not representative considering the alterations black rings cause.

It's not valid. Sorry.

abhilegend
Never said it did make you wrong, just that it wasn't usable.

We saw that people infected with black rings had their bodies affected. Whether you don't think it's an amp or not, fair enough, but it doesn't make it usable.

There was a time when I thought it was, but reading back, it's just not representative considering the alterations black rings cause.

It's not valid. Sorry.
So despite the facts to the contrary, its not valid. Sigh, Ok. FTR Black rings only gave a HF, there isn't a single proof it increased durability. Its like superman getting increased durability and claiming that his strength feats are invalid due to it. But seeing this is a Mod ruling, I concede.

-Pr-
So despite the facts to the contrary, its not valid. Sigh, Ok. FTR Black rings only gave a HF, there isn't a single proof it increased durability. Its like superman getting increased durability and claiming that his strength feats are invalid due to it. But seeing this is a Mod ruling, I concede.

"Facts" as you see them.

I read Blackest Night too, you know. I'm not just picking an opinion out of the air and running with it. Alterations are alterations, so no, it's not really the same thing.

Okay then.

abhilegend
"Facts" as you see them.

I read Blackest Night too, you know. I'm not just picking an opinion out of the air and running with it. Alterations are alterations, so no, it's not really the same thing.

Okay then.
Facts as comics stated. Never said you didn't. It didn't give him an amp in durability which is the ability used here, its all his own durability.

Ok.

Mindset
"Facts" as you see them.

Okay then. Pr, keep picking on abhi and I'm gonna get Phil on you again!

JakeTheBank
laughing out loud

-Pr-
Facts as comics stated. Never said you didn't. It didn't give him an amp in durability which is the ability used here, its all his own durability.

Ok.

You done now? Good.

Originally posted by Mindset
Pr, keep picking on abhi and I'm gonna get Phil on you again!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/pr1983/gifs/SCARED.gif

abhilegend
You done now? Good.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/pr1983/gifs/SCARED.gif
Tyrant mods.uhuh

Superman beats the shit out of sinestro anyway.

-Pr-
Tyrant mods.uhuh

You have no idea.

Well yeah, that's obvious. It is Superman after all.

abhilegend
You have no idea.

Well yeah, that's obvious. It is Superman after all.
I vote delph in the next mod elections.sneer

Damn right!

Mindset

Damn right! Now that's funny.

-Pr-

Damn right!

Yeah, cos that worked so well last time.

abhilegend
Yeah, cos that worked so well last time.
I wasn't here then.ahuh

Mindset
Abhi, will you protect him this time?

Will you be his Superman?

Cogito
Originally posted by ODG
Having more than one ring makes you more powerful. There's ample evidence of that. Just none that suggests that two rings makes you twice as powerful.

If this is current versions, as the pictures suggest, Sinestro takes all three. And he'd take all three without needing an extra ring or an unlimited charge. He's more powerful than he's ever been, including his pre-DCnU history. And current Superman, frankly, is not.

There's ample evidence that having multiples of the same spectrum makes you more powerful.

There isn't if you have multiple spectrums. Presumably it's more complicated, since you'd have to be channeling two emotions at the same time to use two different rings. Now, if anyone is capable of using two rings to their maximum effectiveness, I'm sure it'd be Sinestro.

ODG
There's ample evidence that having multiples of the same spectrum makes you more powerful.

There isn't if you have multiple spectrums. Presumably it's more complicated, since you'd have to be channeling two emotions at the same time to use two different rings. Now, if anyone is capable of using two rings to their maximum effectiveness, I'm sure it'd be Sinestro. When Hal had an added red ring, he was more powerful than when he just had his green ring. When Hal had an added blue ring, he was more powerful than when he just had his green ring. When Guy had a added red ring, he was more powerful than when he just had his green ring.

I agree that channeling two different emotions presents a serious obstacle to using either emotion to its fullest potential. But I can't think of a single instance where having more than one ring (different colors) ended up compromising a Lantern's fighting capacity such that he was less dangerous than he was before while wielding a single ring.

Do you have an example in mind?

Cogito
Originally posted by ODG
When Hal had an added red ring, he was more powerful than when he just had his green ring. When Hal had an added blue ring, he was more powerful than when he just had his green ring. When Guy had a added red ring, he was more powerful than when he just had his green ring.

I agree that channeling two different emotions presents a serious obstacle to using either emotion to its fullest potential. But I can't think of a single instance where having more than one ring (different colors) ended up compromising a Lantern's fighting capacity such that he was less dangerous than he was before while wielding a single ring.

Do you have an example in mind?

Don't remember Hal having a red ring, blue rings already supercharge green so that's not a valid example, and Guy's just boss/fighting an enemy with a specific weakness to multiple spectrum colors.

I'm just looking for specific, non-circumstantial powerups

ODG
Don't remember Hal having a red ring, blue rings already supercharge green so that's not a valid example, and Guy's just boss/fighting an enemy with a specific weakness to multiple spectrum colors.

I'm just looking for specific, non-circumstantial powerups Rage of the Red Lanterns. A Final Crisis tie-in that had absolutely nothing to do with Final Crisis. Dismissing the "validity" of a blue/green combo is your prerogative. But Guy Gardner fought just about every single kind of Lantern under the Sun during Blackest Night. He didn't just fight Black Lanterns.

And they're there. While there aren't any examples posted so far proving (or even suggesting) that different color combinations cripple a Lantern's effectiveness below that of a single ring-wielder.

Blair Wind
Whatever the case may be, for this thread Sinestro has the ability to effectively use both rings without one hampering the other.

Odekahn
Sinestro wins this in every way.

abhilegend

Shabazz916
Superman

Odekahn
Tyrant mods.uhuh

No he doesn't. Sinestro wouldn't just beat superman, he'd kill him.

abhilegend
Originally posted by Odekahn
No he doesn't. Sinestro wouldn't just beat superman, he'd kill him.
Maybe in his wet dreams. In reality, it would go like lobo vs sinestro except superman wouldn't hold back.

Odekahn
Maybe in his wet dreams. In reality, it would go like lobo vs sinestro except superman wouldn't hold back.

Lobo isn't vulnerable to Kryptonite.

abhilegend
Lobo isn't vulnerable to Kryptonite.
Sinestro can't create kryptonite. Why do GL and Surfer fans resort to kryptonite in every thread?

Blair Wind
Sinestro can't create kryptonite. Why do GL and Surfer fans resort to kryptonite in every thread?

We disagree about whether GLs can or can't (btw, they can), not all GL fans resort to it.

I honestly think a GL, and especially Sinestro or Hal, can beat Superman via constructs, exotic powers, etc.

Odekahn
We disagree about whether GLs can or can't (btw, they can), not all GL fans resort to it.

I honestly think a GL, and especially Sinestro or Hal, can beat Superman via constructs, exotic powers, etc.

This.

-Pr-
Can Sinestro beat him? Sure.

Would he, for a majority? Not imo.

Blair Wind
Can Sinestro beat him? Sure.

Can Superman beat him? Sure.

-Pr-
Can Superman beat him? Sure.

ISWYDT.

abhilegend

Entire post crisis history would disagree. Hal came with everything he had to explicitly kill superman and he tanked it without any problem. Sinestro wouldn't fare any better, heck an all out superman trashed hank henshaw with ten yellow rings and nearly killed him. What would happen if superman gets exotic though?

Odekahn
Entire post crisis history would disagree.

Except it doesn't.

carver9
Superman wins.

dmills

laughing

abhilegend
Except it doesn't.
Name one GL who has beaten or even stalemated superman in a fight.

Estacado
Kilowog was beating him in S/B....

abhilegend
He wasn't beating him, he was being manhandled by a superman who was fighting mind control and Kilowog had two rings at the time.

carver9
Overall, that was a good fight between Superman and Kilowog. Good showing for Superman since he was able to hold his own against a Prime GL with 2 rings. Kilowog did damage him a bit during the beginning of the fight and kind of embarrassed him by stepping on his head.

Estacado
He wasn't beating him, he was being manhandled by a superman who was fighting mind control and Kilowog had two rings at the time.
Whoops...my badstick out tongue

abhilegend
Originally posted by carver9
Overall, that was a good fight between Superman and Kilowog. Good showing for Superman since he was able to hold his own against a Prime GL with 2 rings. Kilowog did damage him a bit during the beginning of the fight and kind of embarrassed him by stepping on his head.
You forgot to mention that it was a complete suckershot which koed hal completely. A rational superman was later beating the same kilowog while j'onn and karen were trying to restrain him and failing.

carver9
You forgot to mention that it was a complete suckershot which koed hal completely. A rational superman was later beating the same kilowog while j'onn and karen were trying to restrain him and failing.

Yeah, I know it was a sucker shot. Kilowog really wasn't there to stop Superman and vice verse...Superman wasn't putting his all in the fight either. IMO, its a good showing for Superman...taking on a GL with two rings. I wouldn't give any unamped GL the majority against Superman.

Do you have that fight between Kilowog and Superman...haven't seen it in a bit.?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.