Web-Fu! Versus ... whatever Logan supposedly does...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

bluewaterrider
Spider-Man versus Wolverine: Who actually has the most effective fighting style for the type of opponent they face?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I found a clip of Spider-Man and Wolverine fighting Sabretooth this morning.

Surprisingly entertaining and somewhat humorous ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jha4CxMu5k8&feature=related
(2 min 39 sec)

After seeing that, I read one of the poster comments:

The fight scenes of super hero shows today are amazing. Notice how Peter still fights like Spider-Man and Logan still fights like Wolverine despite that they're in separate bodies. In the scene before this one, each of them do their signature "ready to fight" stance as well. Seeing Logan squat and Peter put up his dukes is interesting to say the least.

ctwatcher100

The poster is right. The choreography IS amazing compared to the shows of yesteryear.

Then it occurred to me:

Wolverine (taken over by Spider-man's consciousness there) actually fights BETTER when he adopts the style of Peter Parker than the style he normally uses, not merely differently.
NORMALLY when fighting Sabretooth, when fighting anyone, really, Wolverine gets TRASHED.
This despite the fact that he supposedly knows ... what? 3 TIMES the number of martial arts Spider-man knows?

I remember seeing a thread before where someone speculated on what would happen if Spider-man fought Wolverine's enemies. They concluded Spider-man wouldn't survive most of them because most REQUIRED a healing factor to survive battling against.

But that was a thread featuring a REALLY tough lineup, not the average opponents Logan wades through during the course of a year.
I'm thinking Wolverine might not even NEED a healing factor for most opponents if he in fact fought the way Peter Parker did.

Curious as to what you guys think.

Is Spider-man's normal fighting style actually superior to Wolverine's?
Spider-man certainly takes less damage than Logie in the average engagement.

Or is it something simpler, like that the rosters either face are actually tailor made to their counterpart? Might Spider-man actually be better suited to fight Wolverine's opponents or Wolverine better suited to the comp Peter normally faces?

What do you think?

Blight
Wolverine doesn't get trashed in every fight.

SamZED
The way I see it in that fight Wolverine simply combined spider-man's abilities with his own superior skill making some sort of super spider. That's why he schooled Sabertooth. Or maybe not... USM show is so retarded its impossible to take any scene seriously. spider-man has speed/agility/strength going fo him but Logan ia lot more skilled and experienced in hth and is better suited to fighting in GENERAL as he can both take and dish out more damage to most villains save the likes of Sandman or Hydroman.

And now somebody close this before it turns into another Spider-man vs Wolverine thread.

Sixth_Winged
Wolverine knows the limits of his body. He knows he can take the punishment so he fights while taking big risks for the sake of big payoffs(killing blows). Sabretooth does the same and knows logan quite well and how he act. They had so many fights all over the years that he's probably accustomed too much on how he fights.

All that fight proves is that Sabes takes a while getting used to fighting a longtime enemy like logan running using an unorthodox style.

bluewaterrider
Well, you have to remember that the 2 are switched in this clip.
The guy in Wolverine costume? THAT is actually Spider-man.

Conversely, the guy in the Spider-Man outfit?
THAT is actually Wolverine, not the guy in the yellow and brown outfit.

Watch the clip again and you should see what I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jha4CxMu5k8&feature=related

On the other hand, I think you are partly right:
Notice that the first punch "Spider-man" delivers ALMOST decisively drops Sabretooth. Certainly it is far more effective than any punch that preceded. Which is what you would expect: Wolverine's knowledge of HOW to punch more effectively would make Spider-man's innate ability to punch hard into something truly awesome.
Sort of like Chuck Norris suddenly given 3 times his normal level of strength but still retaining the knowledge to break bricks with a fraction of that. He'd probably be able to shatter steel instead of mere concrete then.

This was a really good insight. I honestly never thought of that, and don't think I would have if you hadn't said this.

Well, I didn't post this thread just because of that clip.
I'd actually been half-thinking on this topic for awhile because of something I'd seen in the actual comics.

You see, Spider-man actually HAS fought Sabretooth before.
In fact, he did so in the pages of Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-man #116. Spider-man spent the first "half" of their fight merely avoiding Sabretooth's swings. But eventually he got careless, and Sabretooth tagged him. At which point Spider-man got more serious, used some actual counterdefense ... and Sabretooth was defeated within 3 panels.

It impressed on me the idea that, maybe some enemies aren't well suited to the style of certain heroes, that they'd be better off if they "switched" opponents once in a while. Then I saw that clip and thought, "Maybe Spider-man's style is better PERIOD, for, in the instance of Sabretooth at least, it works for Spider-man himself AND it works better for Wolverine ..."

StiltmanFTW
In their other fights Parker wasn't so lucky.

Mshinu
That was a very early Sabes before any upgrades, basically a human with claws.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.