Halloween archtypes : Marvel Vs DC

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

zopzop
Since Halloween is coming up this got me thinking about which
company has the most powerful "Halloween Monster Archtype".

Zombie :
Marvel - ? The only one that comes to mind is Simon William Garth aka the Zombie
*DC - Solomon Grundy?
Winner : DC?

Vampire :
Marvel - Varnae or Dracula?
DC - Andrew Bennett? or that "Cain" guy?
Winner : ?

Mummy :
Marvel - The Living Mummy with Eye of Ra (fire immunity)
DC - ?
Winner : Marvel?

Ghost :
Marvel - ?
DC - Deadman?

Frankenstein's Monster :
Marvel - Frankenstein
DC - Frankenstein with that sword

Scarecrow :
Marvel : Strawman the Fear Lord
DC : ?
Winner : Marvel?

*Black Lanterns excluded

EDITED because of Bada's suggestion

Badabing
No Scarecrow?

Existere
Well, for zombies, Marvel had, you know.... Marvel Zombies. mmm

And for Scarecrow, DC has, you know.... Scarecrow. no expression

zopzop
Originally posted by Existere

And for Scarecrow, DC has, you know.... Scarecrow. no expression
Meant to exclude the Marvel Zombies because they not canon. But then again, the Marvel Zombies with the undead Squadron Supreme was in 616 reality. I think.

So I guess Marvel's side has Zombie Hyperion. I'd still go with Solomon Grundy though.

Also, Scarecrow is a Batman villain dude. Marvel's Strawman is a Fear Lord. Marvel would win that.

srankmissingnin
I'd say Grundy is more of a revenant or flesh golem then a zombie. He doesn't eat human flesh, and his body doesn't continue to decompose.

Also... no love for Werewolf by Night?

zopzop
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
I'd say Grundy is more of a revenant or flesh golem then a zombie. He doesn't eat human flesh, and his body doesn't continue to decompose.
Hmm.. Then who would you include for Team DC under the Zombie category?

Gdammit! I meant to include a werewolf category! sad Oh well, too late for an edit.

Werewolf (Lycanthrope) :
Marvel : Werewolf by Night?
DC : Timber Wolf?
Even though Werewolf by Night has actually held his own and won vs the likes of the Hulk, I think Timber Wolf is overall more powerful.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by zopzop

Hmm.. Then who would you include for Team DC under the Zombie category?

Gdammit! I meant to include a werewolf category! sad Oh well, too late for an edit.

Werewolf (Lycanthrope) :
Marvel : Werewolf by Night?
DC : Timber Wolf?
Even though Werewolf by Night has actually held his own and won vs the likes of the Hulk, I think Timber Wolf is overall more powerful.

Nah, Werewolf by Night > Timber Wolf... plus he is an actual werewolf.

Gwen Dylan from I, Zombie for DC, Zombie for Marvel I guess.

JakeTheBank
I think Starbreaker would be the the most powerful vampire from DC. But his description as a "cosmic" vampire may disqualify him.

Ghost for DC would be Spectre, obviously.

zopzop
Nah, Werewolf by Night > Timber Wolf... plus he is an actual werewolf.
I actually think it's the opposite. Timber Wolf has been spoken of pretty highly here on these boards. But if he's not a Lycanthrope, then who does Team DC have to fill that slot?

But how powerful is Gwen Dylan? I'm testing the waters to see which company has the most powerful "Halloween" type characters. Wasn't Marvel Zombies Supreme canon since it took place in 616 reality? Zombie Hyperion is definitely more powerful than Zombie (Simon Garth) from Marvel. How would he compare to Gwen Dylan power wise?

@Jake
Spectre is an aspect of God no? Wouldn't that disqualify him?

Also I thought Cain was like a mini abstract being. How powerful is Starbreaker?

JakeTheBank
@Jake
Spectre is an aspect of God no? Wouldn't that disqualify him?

Also I thought Cain was like a mini abstract being. How powerful is Starbreaker?

He's described as a spirit consistently, which would fall under "ghost" properties, I'd think. He is, obviously, a very high end "ghost", but he's definitely considered "dead" unlike other aspects of God/angels.

I think Cain is more in line with the classical depiction of a vampire, but Starbreaker, even post-crisis is easily operating at > trans levels.

Then again, Carnivore or whatever was a vampire like entity apparently equalish to part of the Presence or something, iirc.

abhilegend
Timber wolf isn't a werewolf. Creature commandos would fit werewolf category.

zopzop
@Jake
Well, if he's considered a Ghost then DC wins that category. I can't think of anything Marvel side.

Oh crap, that's right. Carnivore, an aspect of God(?) was the master of vampires or something right? Ok DC wins that category for sure then. Unless I'm missing something from Marvel?

@abhilegend
How powerful is the werewolf in Creature Commandos (or are they all werewolves)? Because I'm trying to find out the most powerful character in each category. Werewolf by Night fought Grey Hulk to a standstill and actually beat Savage (?) Hulk. Those creature commando guys would have to be pretty strong to win this category (since Timber Wolf can't be included for Team DC).

srankmissingnin
I actually think it's the opposite. Timber Wolf has been spoken of pretty highly here on these boards. But if he's not a Lycanthrope, then who does Team DC have to fill that slot?

By who? Timber Wolf kind of sucks... outside of his flight ring, Spider-man is noticeably better than him in every way.

Warren Griffith?

abhilegend
Also Genocide as a zombie for DC. She would push zombie hyperion's shit in.

abhilegend
@Jake
Well, if he's considered a Ghost then DC wins that category. I can't think of anything Marvel side.

Oh crap, that's right. Carnivore, an aspect of God(?) was the master of vampires or something right? Ok DC wins that category for sure then. Unless I'm missing something from Marvel?

@abhilegend
How powerful is the werewolf in Creature Commandos (or are they all werewolves)? Because I'm trying to find out the most powerful character in each category. Werewolf by Night fought Grey Hulk to a standstill and actually beat Savage (?) Hulk. Those creature commando guys would have to be pretty strong to win this category (since Timber Wolf can't be included for Team DC).
They fought russian zod to a standstill IIRC and have fought superman I believe.

zopzop
@srankmissingnin
I heard he went toe to toe with PC Kryptonians and even had good showings pre DCNu vs various Herald level beings.

@ahilegend
So Genocide > Zombie Hyperion and she's a zombie? Any notable stuff from him/her/it?

Also the Creature Commandos are ALL Lycanthropes? Or is only one of them a werewolf? How did they (or the werewolf member) do against Superman and Zod? Cause Werewolf by Night had no help vs the Hulk both times he fought him.

abhilegend
@srankmissingnin
I heard he went toe to toe with PC Kryptonians and even had good showings pre DCNu vs various Herald level beings.

@ahilegend
So Genocide > Zombie Hyperion and she's a zombie? Any notable stuff from him/her/it?

Also the Creature Commandos are ALL Lycanthropes? Or is only one of them a werewolf? How did they (or the werewolf member) do against Superman and Zod? Cause Werewolf by Night had no help vs the Hulk both times he fought him.
Genocide is wonder woman with extra abilities like teleportation, empathic manipulation, soul suck, and such. She beat john stewart, firestorm, red tornado, black canary together and beat diana to an inch of her life. Wonder woman later beat her by wearing gauntlet of atlas.

I checked back and it wasn't creature commandos who fought superman and zod.

srankmissingnin
@srankmissingnin

Maybe he got a few shots in as part of the Legion as a whole... but I'm not even sure about that.

Herald level beings? confused

Like who? The most powerful character he fought one on one was Cassie. He took a few hits from her... but she flat out stated she was pulling her punches so she wouldn't kill him. Heck he was almost killed by three hand gun bullets to the chest recently.

abhilegend
Maybe he got a few shots in as part of the Legion as a whole... but I'm not even sure about that.

Herald level beings? confused

Like who? The most powerful character he fought one on one was Cassie. He took a few hits from her... but she flat out stated she was pulling her punches so she wouldn't kill him. Heck he was almost killed by three hand gun bullets to the chest recently.
Maybe he is confusing karate kid with timber wolf?

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by abhilegend
Maybe he is confusing karate kid with timber wolf?

I think he is passing on second hand info from prep-man... I'm sure prep-man said the fallowing about Timber Wolf. But we all know prep-man is insane.

abhilegend
I think he is passing on second hand info from prep-man... I'm sure prep-man said the fallowing about Timber Wolf. But we all know prep-man is insane.
A little harsh, don't you think? Prep-man is a little biased towards DC, but he ain't insane.

JakeTheBank
lol

srankmissingnin
A little harsh, don't you think? Prep-man is a little biased towards DC, but he ain't insane.

I like prep-man, but he is almost certainly insane. Just look at the squash matches he routinely makes thinking they are even fights...

Plus there is his current set:

http://images.killermovies.com/forums/custom_avatars/avatar118627_9.gif

abhilegend
I like prep-man, but he is almost certainly insane. Just look at the squash matches he routinely makes thinking they are even fights...

Plus there is his current set:

http://images.killermovies.com/forums/custom_avatars/avatar118627_9.gif
You convinced me.

zopzop
@ srankmissingnin
He did go up against Sun Emperor and win (withstanding some brutal energy attacks too). Plus it wasn't just Prep-Man, other forum members spoke highly of Timber Wolf. But I guess it doesn't matter for the purposes of this thread since he's not a Lycanthrope anyway.

Ok, to recap, we have DC winning in every single category with the exception of Werewolf and Scarecrow.

Can anyone comment on the Frankenstein's Monster category? That's the only undecided left.

abhilegend
^What has marvel's frankenstein done? DC's frankenstein has taken on people like flash, bizarro and wonder woman and at least held his own. Not to mention the sword of michael is hax.

srankmissingnin
@ srankmissingnin
He did go up against Sun Emperor and win (withstanding some brutal energy attacks too). Plus it wasn't just Prep-Man, other forum members spoke highly of Timber Wolf. But I guess it doesn't matter for the purposes of this thread since he's not a Lycanthrope anyway.

Ok, to recap, we have DC winning in every single category with the exception of Werewolf and Scarecrow.

Can anyone comment on the Frankenstein's Monster category? That's the only undecided left.

That was 3boot Timberwolf, not DCnU, and classifying 3boot Sun Emperor a Herald is a stretch.

Marvel should win the Mummy category handily. I can't really think of a Mummy character in DC of any merit... I think there was one in a few issues of Countdown, but I don't think he was as powerful as the Living Mummy.

Frankencastle with the bloodstone, would probably edge out Frankenstein, unless Frankie knew enough to remove the gem.

Dracula at his best defeated Silver Surfer, but average portray would probably lose to Bennett.

There is also Mummy Thor, Vampire Wolverine, Werewolf Cap, and the return of Frankencastle coming up in Secret Avengers, with Demon DD and some spidermonster Spider-man.

abhilegend
That was 3boot Timberwolf, not DCnU, and classifying 3boot Sun Emperor a Herald is a stretch.

Marvel should win the Mummy category handily. I can't really think of a Mummy character in DC of any merit... I think there was one in a few issues of Countdown, but I don't think he was as powerful as the Living Mummy.

Frankencastle with the bloodstone, would probably edge out Frankenstein, unless Frankie knew enough to remove the gem.

Dracula at his best defeated Silver Surfer, but average portray would probably lose to Bennett.

There is also Mummy Thor, Vampire Wolverine, Werewolf Cap, and the return of Frankencastle coming up in Secret Avengers, with Demon DD and some spidermonster Spider-man.
Dracula didn't beat surfer IIRC. Which fight are you talking about? Tomb of dracula 50?

srankmissingnin
Dracula didn't beat surfer IIRC. Which fight are you talking about? Tomb of dracula 50?

Surfer was laid out and Dracula left... I guess you could call it a stalemate, but Dracula clearly had the advantage.

abhilegend
Surfer was laid out and Dracula left... I guess you could call it a stalemate, but Dracula clearly had the advantage.
You're talking about the scene where he was brought to fight dracula. When he fought dracula it was a complete stalemate and then surfer left on his own, seeing there was no point to fight dracula.

srankmissingnin
That was after the fight concluded. Dracula beat Surfer and left. Surfer composed himself and went after Dracula again. Surfer said there is no point in fighting... and then he left.

abhilegend
Though if we're talking about converted heroes, PC superman solos. He's been converted in every category listed here at least once.

abhilegend
That was after the fight concluded. Dracula beat Surfer and left. Surfer composed himself and went after Dracula again. Surfer said there is no point in fighting... and then he left.
I'm sure that's not how the fight happened, dracula snuck up on surfer in mist form, smacked him some times and then they went their ways seeing they were evenly matched. However its been a long time since I read that comic so I'm not totally sure. Does someone has the scans of this fight?

Sixth_Winged
Ghost for Marvel could be Daniel Drumm

Golgo13
It was actually Q that said Timber Wolf was Namor level. Not me.

abhilegend
^Q99? Really?

Golgo13
Creeper would be cool at a Halloween party.

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/32493/1355959-1355958_2_super_large.jpg

Golgo13
^Q99? Really?

Yes.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-561571-timber-wolf-vs-sabretooth.html

Badabing
Originally posted by Existere

And for Scarecrow, DC has, you know.... Scarecrow. no expression Damn the Lithuanians! sneer

zopzop
So final score :
DC -
Vampires - Carnivore, Cain (honorable mention)
Ghosts - Spectre
Zombies - Genocide
Frankenstein's Monster - Frankenstein with Sword of Michael

Marvel -
Werewolves (since DC doesn't seem to have any worth mentioning) - Werewolf by Night
Mummies - (since DC doesn't have any worth mentioning) - The Living Mummy with Eye of Ra
Scarecrows - Strawman

The mummy and werewolf categories had some pretty sad contestants sad

Sixth_Winged
I always felt genocide was more like a golem instead of a zombie. Oh well.

quab
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
I think Starbreaker would be the the most powerful vampire from DC. But his description as a "cosmic" vampire may disqualify him.

Ghost for DC would be Spectre, obviously.

Your wrong about something. Actually the strongest Vampire from DC would be Mandrakk. He's definitely stronger than Starbreaker and tiers ahead of him.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.