Eddie Murphy vs. Martin Lawrence!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

zeesha
Hi everyone here on Killer Movies!

Me and a friend are having this huge debate! We're arguing about who's better... Eddie Murphy or Martin Lawrence!

Now we can't seem to find a conclusion to this, so we've come to you to help settle our debate!

So, who's funnier, who's a better actor, who makes better movies... All in all, who's better Eddie or Martin?

And also on the side we've debated another thing... which film is better: Coming to America or the first Big Momma's House?

You're opinion's priceless to us! Please help us solve this!

Thanks everyone!

smile

smile smile

siriuswriter
I think Eddie Murphy is the better actor, he's actually been in some movies where he hasn't played the dopey, slapstick, rude humor guy .

Oh, and Coming to American is by far my favorite out of those two. The prince's idea of what the American dream was, and how he planned and went about things was just plain funny - and so true to New York.

Robtard
Eddie Murphy was hilarious back in the day.

Martin Lawrence was never funny.

BruceSkywalker
2 has beens

Impediment
Eddie has fallen from greatness, and that is sad.

Martin was never great, so no big loss.

My vote is for Eddie Murphy.

Ascendancy
Eddie definitely has a much stronger screen presence when he's solo and can carry a movie much better on his own. Lawrence has mostly had success when he's the foil to someone else.

Esau Cairn
It's always been a strange one how Murphy fell from popularity.
Big in the 80's & 90's to irritating, cliched voice-overs.

As far as Martin lawrence (& Chris Rock), can't stand them, never saw their appeal.

Jedi Sheriff
A resounding vote for Eddie all the way. I mean he made Beverly Hills Cop almost literally, (rumour has it that it was intended to be a serious film originally with Sly Stallone til Eddie came in and ad-libbed a lot of the one-liners.) I doubt Martin could do that. Also, check out Eddie's stand-up movies, Delerious and Raw. Eddie's not just the better actor he's a better human being!

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Jedi Sheriff
A resounding vote for Eddie all the way. I mean he made Beverly Hills Cop almost literally, (rumour has it that it was intended to be a serious film originally with Sly Stallone til Eddie came in and ad-libbed a lot of the one-liners.) I doubt Martin could do that. Also, check out Eddie's stand-up movies, Delerious and Raw. Eddie's not just the better actor he's a better human being!

Eddie might've saved Bev Hills Cop but he didn't have enough star appeal to save Dr. Doolittle. Audience testing found his main character too boring & unappealing...it was only after studio execs decided to make the animals talk & give them the one-liners that made the movie a success.

Jedi Sheriff
Never bothered watching that. It was after his decline. Audience testing isn't always beneficial to a movie though. Bill Hicks' rant about Basic Instinct springs to mind.

rudester
Eddie Murphy in the 80's
Martin Lawrence now.. hope that helps answer your Q.

zeesha
Hi guys!

Thanks for all the replies so far! We really appreciate them! It seems so far that Eddie's clearly the more popular choice... let's see if that trend continues... and interesting facts about the Bev Cops and Dr Doolittle films, thanks!

smile

the ninjak
I've stated it before and I'll state it again....Martin Lawrence is the devil!

Murphy was a freakin legend in his day before he decided to go all parental guidance on the world.

Murphy>>>>Lawrence on every level.

rudester
Eddie murphy might be funnier but he looks like the type of actor who would ignore you because he had a high head.

CowardlyBlakMan
If anyone said Lawrence they should be shot

Jedi Sheriff
Originally posted by rudester
Eddie murphy might be funnier but he looks like the type of actor who would ignore you because he had a high head.

That reminds me of a story I heard from a friend about 10 years ago. His Aunt and Uncle were staying in Vegas and his Aunt won on a One-Armed Bandit, she was waiting for the lift/elevator when the doors opened there was a guy inside and she got a fright and dropped her chips/coins, the guy laughed and helped her pick them up. At the end of the holiday, when they came to pay their bill, they were told that someone had paid their bill for them and left them a note, it said; Thanks for making me laugh in the elevator, Eddie Murphy. I thought that was a really cool story, then I was told a year or so later that that was an urban myth that has been going around. Hate it when that happens.

Myth
I feel like Eddie has some higher highs and some lower lows. Martin is consistently mediocre. If I just think about the last 15 years, I'd say Martin (because the last 15 years Eddie has pretty much been crap), but since this includes Eddie's good stuff from the 80s and early 90s, I say him.

zeesha
Loving and appreciating the comments! The actual poll's at Eddie 5 vs. 0 Martin but from reading the comments I'm at Eddie 8 vs. 0.5 Martin.

And hey, you guys (at least for now) seem to prefer Eddie to Martin... but how about in terms of these 2 specific films: Coming to America vs. the first Big Momma's House?

Which is a better film?

the ninjak
Coming to America craps all over BMH.

Myth
Originally posted by zeesha
Loving and appreciating the comments! The actual poll's at Eddie 5 vs. 0 Martin but from reading the comments I'm at Eddie 8 vs. 0.5 Martin.

And hey, you guys (at least for now) seem to prefer Eddie to Martin... but how about in terms of these 2 specific films: Coming to America vs. the first Big Momma's House?

Which is a better film?

Not even close. Do that really need an answer?

Jedi Sheriff
Don't know why you asked this question really. Eddie hasn't made a good film for years but Martin has never made a good film.

rudester
I just saw meet dave and it was entertaining...enough said.

Major_Lexington
Saw 1000 words recently, was alright.

When someone mentions Martin Lawerence & Eddie Murphy I automatically think of life!

www.imdb.com/title/tt0123964/

rudester
^looks funny, ill probably get to it sometime this week.

Jedi Sheriff
Yeah, Life is a good movie.

Mindset
Originally posted by Jedi Sheriff
Don't know why you asked this question really. Eddie hasn't made a good film for years but Martin has never made a good film. Originally posted by Jedi Sheriff
Yeah, Life is a good movie.

Jedi Sheriff
^ Yeah, good point. Still think Martin Lawrence is not even in the same league as Eddie Murphy though. Despite how good Life is.

Gideon58
This is tough....I think in terms of just being funny, Murphy is probably funnier. OTOH, I don't think there is an actor out there who has made more really terrible movies than Eddie Murphy.

Newjak
I had forgotten about Life. That movie is great.

the ninjak
Eddie Murphy kills Lawrence in the film dept. Regardless of his nightmare movies.

Lawrence was in some of the worst films I've ever seen.

They both suck today.

0mega Spawn
Martins show was funny as hell

Murphy's bhc was beast

wilco
They both suck dog balls now.

Eddie was good 20 years ago, but throw him on the scrap heap now!

marwash22
Originally posted by zeesha
Hi everyone here on Killer Movies!

Me and a friend are having this huge debate! We're arguing about who's better... Eddie Murphy or Martin Lawrence!

Now we can't seem to find a conclusion to this, so we've come to you to help settle our debate!

So, who's funnier, who's a better actor, who makes better movies... All in all, who's better Eddie or Martin?

And also on the side we've debated another thing... which film is better: Coming to America or the first Big Momma's House?

You're opinion's priceless to us! Please help us solve this!

Thanks everyone!

smile

smile smile you should distance yourself from the person who made the argument for Martin Lawrence immediately.

"The Nutty Professor", which isn't even one of Eddie's top 5, shits all over any of Martin's movies. Two of Martin's best movies are ones where Eddie is his co-star.

"Coming to America" vs. "Big Momma's House"?...

http://www.my-coloring.net/Images/Small/Famous-characters-Troll-face-Are-you-kidding-me-200683.png

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.