Disney acquires Lucasfilm; Episode VII proposed for 2015

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Robtard
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/30/the-walt-disney-company-acquires-lucasfilm-star-wars-episode-vii-set-for-2015

Nephthys
http://mugenguild.com/forum/Smileys/mfg/weasel.gif Hopy fvckin' shit! http://mugenguild.com/forum/Smileys/mfg/weasel.gif

I am doing an acrobatic pirouette right the fvck off the handle right now!

ares834
Just saw this.

Awesome news!

Good bye EU...

S_W_LeGenD
This is good news.

Me wants Old Republic era stories to be depicted in films as well.

Nephthys
Originally posted by ares834
Just saw this.

Awesome news!

Good bye EU...

Considering I give no ****s for anything post-movies, I'd be 0k with that.

ares834
Originally posted by Nephthys
Considering I give no ****s for anything post-movies, I'd be 0k with that.

Yeah, my first thought was hopefully this gets rid of DE, LotF, and Legacy.

stick out tongue

Nephthys
Hoping for a Thrawn trilogy. I've always wanted to get to it, apparently its a highpoint for the EU.

Mark Hamill speaks:

“He talked about doing a VII, VIII, IX,” Hamill began. “You know when I first did this, it was four trilogies. 12 movies! And out on the desert, any time between setups… lots of free time. And George was talking about this whole thing. I said, ‘Why are you starting with IV, V and VI? It’s crazy.’ ‘It’s the most commercial section of the movie.’ He said the first trilogy’s darker, more serious. And the impression I got, he said, ‘Um, how’d you like to be in Episode IX?’ This is 1976. ‘When is that going to be?’ ‘2011.’ I defy anyone to add 36 years to their lives and not be stunned. Even an eight year old is like, ‘No, I’ll never be 47.’ So I did the math and figured out how old I’d be. I said, ‘Well, what do you want me to do?’ He said, ‘You’ll just be like a cameo. You’ll be like Obi Wan handing the lightsaber down to the next new hope.’ And I’m thinking, ‘I love the guy. If he wanted me to do light yard work at his house, I’d be out clipping the hedges.’ So I went, ‘Sure.’ But I thought he just realized that he’s going to be doing it the rest of his life and he’d rather not do that.”

Ascendancy
As I said elsewhere, I don't really have a huge desire for post ROTJ films. I will say if they follow the more serious tone of ROTS though I would be more inclined to get excited about them.

That stated, I would much rather see Old Republic-era films. A Bane trilogy, films about Revan, etc would be my cup of tea. There could not be any better framework that what has been presented already for that timeline. Teaser trailer:

"What is thy bidding, my Master?"
"Lord Vader, have I ever told you the story of how the Sith came to be only two?"
*Flashes of the battles and strife of the Sith War*

Tzeentch._
Old Republic era is a terrible and uninteresting era though.

Anyway, yeah.. mixed feelings. Ironically, it'll probably be better than the PT, since Lucas won't be directing.

Barker
Originally posted by Ascendancy
As I said elsewhere, I don't really have a huge desire for post ROTJ films. I will say if they follow the more serious tone of ROTS though I would be more inclined to get excited about them.

That stated, I would much rather see Old Republic-era films. A Bane trilogy, films about Revan, etc would be my cup of tea. There could not be any better framework that what has been presented already for that timeline. Teaser trailer:

"What is thy bidding, my Master?"
"Lord Vader, have I ever told you the story of how the Sith came to be only two?"
*Flashes of the battles and strife of the Sith War*
Disney's confirmed a post ROTJ trilogy and more films coming on a 2-3 year basis after that. Wouldn't surprise me to see a film based on the Old Republic in about 10 years.

I do hope they steer away from CGI films though. I never bothered seeing the Clone Wars because let's be honest, it was a cash in.

Ascendancy
Originally posted by Tzeentch._
Old Republic era is a terrible and uninteresting era though.

http://troll.me/images/tg/take-that-back-now.jpg

I certainly agree with you about Lucas not having a hand in it.

Also in agreement with the statement about no CG mess. I watched some of the clone wars jazz because I wanted to see what happened to Maul, but it sucked compared to what it could have been.

Nephthys
If they can get CGI from those guys who did the TOR trailers, I'd orgasm all over that movie.

Tzeentch._
Blur Studios. They also did the CGI for the Drago Age: Origins trailer, and the Dawn of War 2 trailer. They're really good.

I think they have a hardon for trailers, though. I've never seen them do any feature length films.

Nephthys
I'm sure if Disney waved enough cash at them they'd reconsider that propensity.

Ushgarak
Moved as tradition is that new film news goes in the most 'current' film section, which makes this the first time I've moved a thread for that reason in about a decade.

Barker
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Moved as tradition is that new film news goes in the most 'current' film section, which makes this the first time I've moved a thread for that reason in about a decade.
Took issue with the first part of your comment then read the rest.

Do you feel old? I thought I had it bad thinking back to 2005 KMC but man.. haermm

Ushgarak
I very much feel like I've gone from Ewan to Alec.

LanceWindu
Originally posted by Barker
Took issue with the first part of your comment then read the rest.

Do you feel old? I thought I had it bad thinking back to 2005 KMC but man.. haermm

2001 KMC, FTW.

Ush, call Raz back again so we can (possibly) merge the OT and PT forums and open new ones for the ST (Sequel Trilogy? What should we call it?).

Ushgarak
Renamed to make it the generic 'talk about the new situation' thread.

-

I'll see what I can do Raz-wise when this gets legs.

LanceWindu
Will they get Mark Hamill back? Most likely we won't see Leia or Han, but Luke is a very big possibility. He doesn't have a lot of acting work besides his voice-overs right now.

I don't see them not having a Skywalker in a Star Wars movie, but I also don't see Luke being the main character considering age. Will they dip a bit into the Expanded Universe and have Ben be the new protagonist? If it's set before Ben was born, will Jaina, Jacen or Anakin Solo make an appearance? Or will they go a completely different route and create new characters all together?

Ushgarak
Well, even calling it Episode VII is weird. All the original storylines are wrapped, so it's not Episode VII, it's the first part of something entirely new, but I guess marketing has its play, along with the myth that GL had an unproduced post-ROTJ trilogy in his head (though if it used any of the ideas he originally had for films between ESB and ROTJ, that would be intriguing).

I'd be surprised if it pays any heed to the EU. We'll see.

LanceWindu
Well, even calling it Episode VII is weird. All the original storylines are wrapped, so it's not Episode VII, it's the first part of something entirely new, but I guess marketing has its play, along with the myth that GL had an unproduced post-ROTJ trilogy in his head (though if it used any of the ideas he originally had for films between ESB and ROTJ, that would be intriguing).

I'd be surprised if it pays any heed to the EU. We'll see.

I'd be surprised to see EU mentions too, but I can hope.

At this point, I have to see the EU as a completely different entity. The Clone Wars show has already helped me make that distinction since it's been branded top-level canon and changed many things that the EU has already established.

Gambler
I hope Dark Horse keeps the license for comics.

Impediment
I have very mixed feelings.

I would love to see Luke re-establish the Jedi Academy, meet Mara Jade (Luke's love) Han and Leia elope and have their three kids (the twins Jaina and Jacen, and then Anakin), Boba Fett escapes the Sarlaac Pit, and the clone of Emperor Palpatine almost seduce Luke to the Dark Side appear on film.

However, I trust Disney's integrity like a vampire giving me a blow job.

I need to research this more.

Ushgarak
God, if they try to film anything as dire and conceptually contradictory to the originals as clones of Palpatine, then I'll hope the studios burn down.

Impediment
I'd also love to see the Yuuzhan Vong!

FistOfThe North
just outta curiosity, why or how would this aquisition be good news, exactly? Anyone?

S_D_J
My jaw literally fell open when I saw this over at IGN

thought it was a April's fool joke... in Halloween

Not so sure what I think of this.

I like the idea of more live action movies, but I always felt like Ep VI was the end of the story. Regardless of any good post OT EU story, I always saw the EU as its own entity. Anakin brought balance to the force and that was it.

It will be weird not having Lucas as heavily involved in the SW future as he always was. I'm surprised he went ahead with the sale. He must be tired of all, but I never thought he'd let it go like this.
It can be great creatively, not having everything go through him, but it's still weird.

Besides the confirmation of a new movie, what will happen to rest of SW?
is the tv show still going to be make? what about future shows?
how is the canon going to be handle going forward?
will we get the original movies as first released? Are anymore changes going to be make?

and, though not SW:

what will happen to Indy?

about the comics: I read DH isn't sure of the comics, even though everything that's planned is still going forward. Most likely Marvel will regain the publishing rights.

DARTH POWER
Well I'm dying to see Luke as a Jedi Master on screen!

roughrider
I might eventually see the upside to all this, but right now I'm just numb with shock.

Lucas put everything he got out of the first Star Wars film to build an independent film-making empire up in Northern California, taking all the merchandising rights Fox (in what proved to be a stupendously short sighted move) gave away to him in his original contract. The difference between Star Wars and all the other film series owned and beaten into the ground by other studios, was the rights were owned by one man. And he made them the way he wanted to, with no studio bureaucracy breathing down on him. It made the films special events when they came.

....And now - the empire, the rights to Star Wars - it's all owned by Disney.

no expression

The immediate up side for George Lucas - aside from pocketing a few more billion - is now all the haters who can't give up the littlest change can go complain to Disney from now on about Who Shot First etc.

If you've been wanting him gone from the saga, well congratulations. You're succeeded.
Happy now?

And does more movies put the EU canon started from Heir To The Empire in jeopardy? I really would prefer they leave the characters of Episodes I-VI alone.

focus4chumps
oh no star wars will be ruined now.

oh wait george lucas took care of that already.

ok i think they should:

1-purify the OT and rid it of lucas' "improvements"
2-reboot the PT. thats right. REBOOT.
3-leave the sith dead for the sequels.

as ush pointed out: clone palpatine was a stupid idea. it was stupid even before the PT made him a contradiction. clone palpatine was nothing more than unimaginative garbage and the poster-character for why i always hated EU.

Tzeentch._
Regarding the plot, my hope is that they jump about 100 years or so into the future, ala Legacy. I don't want to see cameos of old as **** Luke and Han and the gang. I really don't want these people to get the EU treatment of all their fighting in the OT being for nothing as they have to get involved in shit in their old age anyway.

I want all the people in the OT to be dead, to have died peacefully knowing that they'd changed the Galaxy for the better, and I want the characters who are alive in the current setting to see those people as "legends".

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by roughrider
I might eventually see the upside to all this, but right now I'm just numb with shock.

Lucas put everything he got out of the first Star Wars film to build an independent film-making empire up in Northern California, taking all the merchandising rights Fox (in what proved to be a stupendously short sighted move) gave away to him in his original contract. The difference between Star Wars and all the other film series owned and beaten into the ground by other studios, was the rights were owned by one man. And he made them the way he wanted to, with no studio bureaucracy breathing down on him. It made the films special events when they came.

....And now - the empire, the rights to Star Wars - it's all owned by Disney.

no expression

That's what was so great about SW, but it's also what made him one of the most hated film makers in hollywood. Pretty sad they didn't appreciate what he achieved in that way, and just how much he's brought to cinema.

The immediate up side for George Lucas - aside from pocketing a few more billion - is now all the haters who can't give up the littlest change can go complain to Disney from now on about Who Shot First etc.

If you've been wanting him gone from the saga, well congratulations. You're succeeded.
Happy now?

I can see he got fed up of SW fans hate ranting at him. I personally loved all the SW Movies he created.

The upside for me is, we can now get SW sequel movies. There was no way Lucas was going to make more.

And if the new ones suck, then like you said no one can blame Lucas for it.

We can always differentiate between Lucas's movies and any other SW Movies.

And does more movies put the EU canon started from Heir To The Empire in jeopardy? I really would prefer they leave the characters of Episodes I-VI alone.

It's safe to say all Post ROTJ Eu stuff will be thrown into the trash.

focus4chumps

Happy now?

yes

as a battered widow might say "now you can never hurt me again"

since disney has no ego riding on 'improving' the OT, and a vested interest in doing the opposite...i think we might well soon get an unmolested OT blu ray within the year.

so yes, roughrider, i am THRILLED, actually

focus4chumps
oh and just f.y.i. you know this kinda means...

...supershadow was right all along wacko

Jedi Sheriff
I'd like to see a Thrawn trilogy, but in all likelyhood they'll do a bunch of new ones with new characters.

Robtard
Hoping they opt to jump ahead in the future and not continue with Luke, Leia, Han etc. with a new cast.

Also hoping they jump far enough ahead that all characters from Ep1-6 are long dead and we don't get some old actor playing old Luke.

Read some rumours that they're thinking of doing Han and Leia's offspring as the focus. Just rumours though.

focus4chumps
Originally posted by Robtard

Also hoping they jump far enough ahead that all characters from Ep1-6 are long dead and we don't get some old actor playing old Luke.

yeah perish the thought.
some old actor playing luke like...mark hammil.

roughrider
I certainly could see more movies happening, and Lucas did too, even if they weren't going to be made by him. I just thought he'd pass the baton to his successor and let them take care of it, and Lucasfilm continues as the independent it has long been. But this...this is earthshaking.

So...perhaps only something that has been shown on the big screen or the small screen can be considered canon in the future? All the EU literature and video games - off the side of the ship...?

Robtard
Originally posted by focus4chumps
yeah perish the thought.
some old actor playing luke like...mark hammil.

Yeah, lol. Keep forgetting he's 60ish. I was thinking of a much older Luke, say 80+. Also, Hamil's not a very good actor, there, I said it.

focus4chumps
oh they can use makeup to age him more. look at what a spectacular job they did in prometheus.

Jaeh
It's possible that it won't be that bad. I mean look at what they did to Avengers and other Marvel stuff, so maybe it would be fine, if the right people are involved in the right project.

And I hope it'll be a new story as well, not just another sequel, and I'd appreciate a new spin on it.

focus4chumps
Originally posted by Jaeh
It's possible that it won't be that bad. I mean look at what they did to Avengers and other Marvel stuff, so maybe it would be fine, if the right people are involved in the right project.

And I hope it'll be a new story as well, not just another sequel, and I'd appreciate a new spin on it.

a fair point, though imho avengers is drastically overrated. now if you'll excuse me im going to hide behind this wall.

dadudemon
I am excited about this buyout. The Ep VII thing made me shit myself.

I really don't care what they do. The EU stories are decent enough that it wouldn't make me hate them. I would prefer something of a re-write of Eps VII-IX...but still keep some of the elements like the Establishment of the Jedi Academy.

And, they can do just as much of a time-skip as they did between III and IV. Hamill and the gang should have aged enough.

Disney generally does a good job. I have no doubt that they will at least make decent films.

Here's what I want: The Mandalorian Wars: The rise of Revan. If I get that, I will die a happy old man.

a fair point, though imho avengers is drastically overrated. now if you'll excuse me im going to hide behind this wall.

They strung me up and disemboweled me when I stated that in the Avengers thread. sad

Ascendancy
I see you like to live dangerously, friend.

Again, I'd love to see Old Republic/Sith War era films. Such a great storyline to work from and lots of massive scale battles. They certainly would be much darker than the original series though.

Morridini
Fantastic news!

Disney is definitely the best company to take over the Star Wars franchise, just look how well they did with Marvel and The Avengers.

As for Episode VII, even though I am a huge EU fan, I don't mind at all if they go in a new direction invalidating most of the EU as long as it is good.

HyperStream
I keep hearing from multiple sources including /Film that Disney plans on making not only this 7-9 trilogy but even MORE trilogies after that! Unlimited Star Wars for everyone! Freakin sweet. This means more chances for Disney to make great movies and learn along the way. I don't see why they couldn't make an Old Republic movie, makes total sense.

Gambler
As long as they stay loyal to the well established facts and timeline, and don't invent new parallel universes (DC, Marvel cretin stuff), as long as they don't " reboot" SW, I'm fine with that. EU is essential. EU created and raised to the upper levels the 4000 BBY Republic and much more, especially Dark Horse comics. If they spit on it with their hidden Hollywood political propaganda bullshit, then they're ruined. SW is genuine because it has a genuine perspective on a Galactic civilization far far away.

Not everything is gold that shines. We have to be wary. The more independent the directors for the new movies, the better. SW doesn't need mainstream Hollywood lapdogs.

focus4chumps
everyone thrilled huh? well that will die real quick when instead of the 20th century fox intro before the opening crawl, we have:

XhLrlhFzAjA

focus4chumps
http://www.tvsmacktalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/a_610x408.jpg

who's the leader of the sith thats made for you and me

D-A-R

T-H....

hmmm...right...forget that

Gambler
everyone thrilled huh? well that will die real quick when instead of the 20th century fox intro before the opening crawl, we have:

XhLrlhFzAjA

I suspect what it contains. Yuck!

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Gambler
As long as they stay loyal to the well established facts and timeline, and don't invent new parallel universes (DC, Marvel cretin stuff), as long as they don't " reboot" SW, I'm fine with that. EU is essential. EU created and raised to the upper levels the 4000 BBY Republic and much more, especially Dark Horse comics. If they spit on it with their hidden Hollywood political propaganda bullshit, then they're ruined. SW is genuine because it has a genuine perspective on a Galactic civilization far far away.

Not everything is gold that shines. We have to be wary. The more independent the directors for the new movies, the better. SW doesn't need mainstream Hollywood lapdogs.

If you are looking for EU continuity, I suspect you will end up disappointed.

dadudemon

XhLrlhFzAjA

They didn't put that in front of the Avengers or Pirates movies.

focus4chumps
shhhhhhhh

CaedusRules
I'm excited for some new Star Wars movies. Have heard they will be stand alone trilogy, but I don't want them to stomp over EU. There are many options they can do. It is a big universe, you can feature characters not associated with Luke, Han, etc. Maybe have Luke have a cameo on a Jedi counsel. Or they could skip to the future and have Luke as a Force Ghost. I just dont want them to interfer with the current time-line or characters.

If your going to include characters like Jaina, do it right. If your going to include the Vong, do it right. Personally I would be okay with 2 senerios. First, you jump past where the current EU is with its core characters and have Luke sitting on the Jedi Counsel on Ossus, and introduce new faces with a few hidden cameos for us EU fans.... Maybe see a Barabel Jedi on the counsel sissing at a joke.... (like they do with marvel). The second would be to do something around the time a Thrawn, that would be stand-alone and not mess with Luke or the others at all. Personally I would rather the former.

darthmaul1
I did enjoy the prequels, but i still feel Lucas should of just done the story and got someone else to write it and direct it. LIke Empire & Jedi.
So maybe for this we can get some really good movies with good direction.but do it 30 years after jedi, that way anyone who wants to make a cameo can.
Also if disney was smart they should release another bluray set with the orginal movies and or a bluray set where you can pick what scenes you want in and watch the star wars movie that you want to watch.

focus4chumps

darthmaul1

Barker

focus4chumps
Originally posted by darthmaul1
Well SHIT! didn't know that smile

then what the hell are you smiling about?

marwash22
Originally posted by marwash22
The new Star Wars trilogy will be an original story.

focus4chumps
xUbH1SEsqiE

Gambler
then what the hell are you smiling about?

That's the spirit!

sweersa
I told you all SuperShadow was for real. You didn't listen! big grin

On a more serious note, I really hope the original cast returns, but I doubt that will be a possibility. Harrison Ford would probably be the most difficult one to cast.

If the original cast was involved in this new trilogy, the events would have to occur about 30 years after ROTJ due to how everyone aged.

HyperStream
Originally posted by CaedusRules
I'm excited for some new Star Wars movies. Have heard they will be stand alone trilogy, but I don't want them to stomp over EU.

Oh they will. Plus, this ain't Star Trek anyways. Being a Star Wars fan isn't about focusing on timelines or continuity (how disappointing would that be?) it's about characters and world building. The timeline after VI is already WELL beyond saving as far as continuity is concerned, so they may as well scrap everything. Disney will destroy the EU because they now have rights to do so and why wouldn't they? It's their baby now and it's their job to tell the ACTUAL stories of what happened after VI without having to worry about some loosely canon storylines.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by sweersa
I told you all SuperShadow was for real. You didn't listen! big grin

On a more serious note, I really hope the original cast returns, but I doubt that will be a possibility. Harrison Ford would probably be the most difficult one to cast.

If the original cast was involved in this new trilogy, the events would have to occur about 30 years after ROTJ due to how everyone aged.

Or hey they could just use different actors. That worked out well enough for Obi-Wan Kenobi.

But one things for sure, Episode 7 better feature Luke as an accomplished Jedi Master or I personally won't be interested.

OB1-adobe
Well hello everyone.

Well here we are.........again.

We're all here at KMC to talk about a new Star Wars movie, or should I see a new trilogy. This was quite unexpected.

I'm a little late on this, I didn't see the news until this morning. So I expect this post will be quickly glossed over, but I had to share my thoughts.

I was drinking my coffee at work, getting ready to work on a clip reel for one of the shows I work on. (I work in television). I was sipping my joe and was doing my usual internet rounds before I get to work. I went to IGN to see if any new GTA V news was abound and saw the aforementioned article. This was my reaction:

Me reading:

"Star Wars Disney?????......what's this a new disney land ride? (click).................Disney purchases Lucas film for 4.5 billlion.....................whoa..........what?????????????..................................new trilogy starting with episode 7 in 2015............WHOA WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????"

I seriously didn't know what to think, I still don't. I thought this film series was done.
I don't know if this is a good or a bad thing.

What is going to happen in these new movies?
What will happen to the current existing movies?
Will everyone get the theatrical OT's finally?
Star wars battlefront 3????
Will the 20th century fox fanfare be removed? ( something I always felt was synominous with Star wars)

Nevertheless, here we are, and here I am.

I'll be here as news rolls in. I'll be here when screen shots start coming up. I'll be here when the first trailer hits.

We have something new to talk about, complain about, cheer about, and fear about.

I'm guessing a new forum called "sequel trilogy" should be showing up soon.

I look forward to chatting with you guys about this over the next 7 years.

Just like old times.

S_D_J
Since Fox owns the rights to the movies, the fanfare won't be removed...until 2020 that is

I too think it will be odd not hearing the Fox fanfare, it was part of the excitement I felt whenever I was watching the movies for the first time. hearing the crowd roar when it was about to begin blink

dadudemon
Originally posted by OB1-adobe
Well hello everyone.

Well here we are.........again.

We're all here at KMC to talk about a new Star Wars movie, or should I see a new trilogy. This was quite unexpected.

I'm a little late on this, I didn't see the news until this morning. So I expect this post will be quickly glossed over, but I had to share my thoughts.

I was drinking my coffee at work, getting ready to work on a clip reel for one of the shows I work on. (I work in television). I was sipping my joe and was doing my usual internet rounds before I get to work. I went to IGN to see if any new GTA V news was abound and saw the aforementioned article. This was my reaction:

Me reading:

"Star Wars Disney?????......what's this a new disney land ride? (click).................Disney purchases Lucas film for 4.5 billlion.....................whoa..........what?????????????..................................new trilogy starting with episode 7 in 2015............WHOA WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????"

I seriously didn't know what to think, I still don't. I thought this film series was done.
I don't know if this is a good or a bad thing.

What is going to happen in these new movies?
What will happen to the current existing movies?
Will everyone get the theatrical OT's finally?
Will the 20th century fox fanfare be removed? ( something I always felt was synominous with Star wars)

Nevertheless, here we are, and here I am.

I'll be here as news rolls in. I'll be here when screen shots start coming up. I'll be here when the first trailer hits.

We have something new to talk about, complain about, cheer about, and fear about.

I'm guessing a new forum called "sequel trilogy" should be showing up soon.

I look forward to chatting with you guys about this over the next 7 years.

Just like old times.

weep

Bro-hug.

Robtard
If no one has mentioned it, Lucas is remaining as a "consultant" to the future films.

Morridini
I just remembered that Tron Legacy, where they did the amazing job of de-aging Jeff Bridges, was owned and made by Disney. This could bode well for having Luke and co in Episode VII.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Morridini
I just remembered that Tron Legacy, where they did the amazing job of de-aging Jeff Bridges, was owned and made by Disney. This could bode well for having Luke and co in Episode VII.

And it looked creepily computer generated. It was not fooling anyone. Maybe with improvements made in computing power and software, it will look much more convincing?

Morridini
It looked pretty well in my mind, combine this with several years of advancements AND a Star Wars sized budget and we might be there.

Jedi Sheriff

Hell yeah!

DARTH POWER
It looked pretty well in my mind, combine this with several years of advancements AND a Star Wars sized budget and we might be there.

It's pointless Imo. Just use new actors! It'll be ok! Worked for the Star Trek reboot anyway.

CaedusRules
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
It's pointless Imo. Just use new actors! It'll be ok! Worked for the Star Trek reboot anyway.

It would be a sin to have new actors play Luke, Han, Leia, etc. A Mortal sin. Reboots are completely different. If you try and put Ashton Kutcher as Luke, Daniel Craig as Han, and Anne Hathaway as Leia there will be riots, and cities will burn. It might be the end of civilization as we know it.

Besides, they already said this will be an Original Trilogy. To me that means new Characters. You might see Luke as a Jedi Master on a counsil, you might not.

CaedusRules

If I was Disney and I was doing an Original Trilogy I would make it at least Episode 10. That way once the technology does become good enough, you can have a 7-9 of the original characters in CGI. And once you have that, then you dont even really need the original actors. If they are "gone" or wont sign, there are people out there that can mimick thier voices perfectly.

focus4chumps
If no one has mentioned it, Lucas is remaining as a "consultant" to the future films.

whatever that means

focus4chumps
http://www.slashfilm.com/george-lucas-told-mark-hamill-and-carrie-fisher-about-the-new-trilogy-last-year/

ok so apparently george lucas invited mark hammil and carrie fisher out to lunch a year ago and explained his plans for a new trilogy.

it's not explained whether he was just getting the input of some old friends or suggesting that they would be a part of it. however the latter seems far more likely imho.

hammil stated:

and also:

referring todisney aquiring lfl:

DARTH POWER
It would be a sin to have new actors play Luke, Han, Leia, etc. A Mortal sin. Reboots are completely different. If you try and put Ashton Kutcher as Luke, Daniel Craig as Han, and Anne Hathaway as Leia there will be riots, and cities will burn. It might be the end of civilization as we know it.

No I'm pretty sure people would understand that those actors are too old now.

We had a new actor portraying Alec Guiness's legendary Ben Kenobi. That turned out well Imo.

And Episode 7 would be a sequel/reboot seen as it will be the first SW movie not created by Lucas.

Whilst the new Star Trek was a prequel/reboot. That worked out well, simply because they had good actors portraying the same legendary characters.

There's nothing overtly special about Mark Hamill or Carrie Fisher that they can't be replaced.

Besides, they already said this will be an Original Trilogy. To me that means new Characters. You might see Luke as a Jedi Master on a counsil, you might not.

No they've said it will be an Original Story. As in they're not going to take any existing storylines from books or comics.

If it doesn't at least have Luke with a major part then I don't see how that will be Episode 7. And I personally would have no excitement for it.

CaedusRules
No I'm pretty sure people would understand that those actors are too old now.

We had a new actor portraying Alec Guiness's legendary Ben Kenobi. That turned out well Imo.

And Episode 7 would be a sequel/reboot seen as it will be the first SW movie not created by Lucas.

Whilst the new Star Trek was a prequel/reboot. That worked out well, simply because they had good actors portraying the same legendary characters.

There's nothing overtly special about Mark Hamill or Carrie Fisher that they can't be replaced.

No they've said it will be an Original Story. As in they're not going to take any existing storylines from books or comics.

If it doesn't at least have Luke with a major part then I don't see how that will be Episode 7. And I personally would have no excitement for it.

Yea, I just read the part about how it will be the ending to the saga just a few minutes ago... So that leaves me torn. I do not want new actors playing Luke, Leia, and Han. I could handle 2 things. Either having the next episode take place 20 years later, which would age the characters to the actors age, or you could use CGI and the actors voices.

The arguement that it worked for Obi-wan really doesnt fly with me because you had a transition time that could explain the aging of the character. But when watching ROTJ and then going to VII to see brand new actors for everyone wouldn't fly in my book.

DARTH POWER
Really depends on the time setting of the story.

Of course if it's supposed to be 30 years later then they can use Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher as the Yoda and Mace of the new order.

But then the story would obviously be about a new generation.

But I would personally prefer a story 10-15 years after ROTJ and the only way I can realistically see us getting that is with new actors.

I honestly wouldn't mind with a good cast. Not the one you chose lol.

dadudemon
Well, the series is not over, technically. Only the beginning and middle are done.

Sure, the Emperor is overthrown (dayd!) but the Empire is still quite huge. And Luke still has to reestablish a New Jedi Order and possibly a new Republic.

There's tons of stuff left to be done after RotJ. The "resolution" is technically not there. We still do not have a "spelled out" end. EU did that for us, though.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by dadudemon
Well, the series is not over, technically. Only the beginning and middle are done.

Sure, the Emperor is overthrown (dayd!) but the Empire is still quite huge. And Luke still has to reestablish a New Jedi Order and possibly a new Republic.

There's tons of stuff left to be done after RotJ. The "resolution" is technically not there. We still do not have a "spelled out" end. EU did that for us, though.

Exactly. We never really did see "the end."

I want to see the difficulties of re-establishing the Jedi Order and the Republic.

I want to see Luke as an accomplished Jedi (and possibly Leia as well).

I'd absolutely Hate it if they just skipped a generation and not have Luke as a main character.

focus4chumps
there has to be at least one dark jedi. maybe a pupil of luke who turns to the dark side. all i know is star wars will suck with no lightsaber duels.

DARTH POWER
Of course there will be Lightsaber fights and some Uber Villain. Disney aren't stupid.

Ushgarak

The resolution was Anakin Skywalker's death. The end of the Old Republic and the Rebellion were just the backdrop to that. That story is over.

Now, doing new stories is fine, but it is not accurate to pretend the old story was not over. As envisaged, it ended where planned, at ROTJ. Just because new stories are theoretically possible (which is so with the end of almost any story), it does not mean the original story is unfinished.

DARTH POWER

Now, doing new stories is fine, but it is not accurate to pretend the old story was not over. As envisaged, it ended where planned, at ROTJ. Just because new stories are theoretically possible (which is so with the end of almost any story), it does not mean the original story is unfinished.

True but when watching all 6 movies a lot of unresolved questions come up about the ROTJ ending. Like the issue of restoring the Jedi Order wasn't exactly wrapped up. There was just Luke. And was Leia supposed to be trained as a Jedi? If so then she would have to give up being with Han Solo wouldn't she?

We can assume all sorts and read the Eu, but my point is the movies on their own leave a lot to be guessed about the ending.

A few scenes at the end seeing the future (kind of like Return of the King) would have been a more perfect ending to the series. But the way it was left wasn't Imho (well not after watching all 6 movies anyway).

Ushgarak
Like I say, virtually all stories have ways in which you can imagine further stories. That's not the same as the story being unfinished. The story as told, which is Anakin Skywalker's story, is completely over, all important plot points raised resolved and the central lynchpin of it all dead, sorted and never returning. It is normal and, indeed, preferable for there to be plenty of potential ways for characters to move on from the end point of a story and for that to be a matter of speculation; this is irrelevant as to whether the story is done or not. One of the very few examples where I can think of where the story ends with no apparent means of moving on at all is Beneath the Planet of the Apes, where they destroyed the world and killed everyone... and they still made more stories.

Above all, if Star Wars starts with a variant of "Long ago and far away"- a fairy tale in space- then the Ewok party at the end of ROTJ sums up the ending- they all live happily ever after.

This will be an entirely new story in the same continuity. It's not finishing the original as that already fiinished

focus4chumps
the point is that the main story arc was from 1-6.

PT: sith invade and rise to power
OT: good guys fight back and defeat the sith.

while the story may be continued and go down a new road, the old arc is complete.

Ushgarak
Shorter and sweeter than my version, there...

Like I said above, calling this Episode VII is more a marketing thing than anything else. It's not part of a continuous tale as I-VI are. This is not being done because the story is unfinished. It's being done because they want to make new stories- at the end of which there will again be possible ways of making further stories, and so on.

roughrider

focus4chumps
Fine, good. So maybe all those people who want the unaltered versions will finally give up and move on.

but who is more ridiculous?

the person who simply wants to own the films they loved as a child

or the person who is offended by the one who simply wants to own the films they loved as a child?

CaedusRules

focus4chumps
george lucas says lots of things:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2012/nov/01/star-wars-disney-new-trilogy

Lucas himself has had decades to think about the possibility of bringing a sequel trilogy to the big screen, but as recently as 2008 did not see how it could be done. "I get asked all the time: 'What happens after Return of the Jedi?' and there really is no answer for that," he said during promotion for that year's ill-fated animation Star Wars: The Clone Wars, adding: "The movies were the story of Anakin Skywalker and Luke Skywalker, and when Luke saves the galaxy and redeems his father, that's where that story ends."

he is a habitual self-contradictor.
however you dont need his quotes to recognize that the main antagonist from the beginning of the PT was defeated at the end of the OT. thats the story arc.

CaedusRules
george lucas says lots of things:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2012/nov/01/star-wars-disney-new-trilogy

Lucas himself has had decades to think about the possibility of bringing a sequel trilogy to the big screen, but as recently as 2008 did not see how it could be done. "I get asked all the time: 'What happens after Return of the Jedi?' and there really is no answer for that," he said during promotion for that year's ill-fated animation Star Wars: The Clone Wars, adding: "The movies were the story of Anakin Skywalker and Luke Skywalker, and when Luke saves the galaxy and redeems his father, that's where that story ends."

he is a habitual self-contradictor.
however you dont need his quotes to recognize that the main antagonist from the beginning of the PT was defeated at the end of the OT. thats the story arc.

Lucas does contridict himself alot, but he did say this is the story of Anakin AND Luke Skywalker. To me ROTJ could be the end of an arc in the story, becuase like the guy stated earlier, the story of Luke is far from complete and leaves room for another trilogy to finish the story. Much like Lucas intended while writing the sequels of the original trilogy... before he became burnt out by the whole thing....

dadudemon
The resolution was Anakin Skywalker's death. The end of the Old Republic and the Rebellion were just the backdrop to that. That story is over.

I agree that each movie and each trilogy had definitive beginning and end. An argument can be made for each individual movie, as well... (except maybe Empire?).

It is definitely personal opinion. George himself said it was a triple trilogy so he obviously had more to tell. But even that can be a personal opinion. Did he ever endorse Eps VII-IX beyond simple Eu canon? Like, did he try to elevate those stories to higher credibility?

focus4chumps
Lucas does contridict himself alot, but he did say this is the story of Anakin AND Luke Skywalker. To me ROTJ could be the end of an arc in the story, becuase like the guy stated earlier, the story of Luke is far from complete and leaves room for another trilogy to finish the story. Much like Lucas intended while writing the sequels of the original trilogy... before he became burnt out by the whole thing....

well yes there are many new roads luke, han, and leia can embark upon, assuming there is a new arc and they are included. else its just the new jedi order taking down various random factions of the old empire and luke training jedi...try stretching that for 3 films.

just the notion that the story is "unfinished", despite the main arc concluding, is a completely subjective slipperly slope. (what about 95 year old luke's struggles at the galactic nursing home, battling overbearing aggressive orderlies?) we're always curious over what happens to characters and in some cases we are endulged...(some cases way too overendulged like return of the king), but these are all post-story.

so yeah, new trilogy needs a whole new arc

Ushgarak

Ushgarak
I agree that each movie and each trilogy had definitive beginning and end. An argument can be made for each individual movie, as well... (except maybe Empire?).

It is definitely personal opinion. George himself said it was a triple trilogy so he obviously had more to tell. But even that can be a personal opinion. Did he ever endorse Eps VII-IX beyond simple Eu canon? Like, did he try to elevate those stories to higher credibility?

No, and as said, his original three trilogy plan was changed when he made ROTJ. There's no personal opinion here. GL has been repeatedly explicit about having finished the story he wanted to tell.

He even sums up the entire story as simply being about a good man who turns evil and is redeemed by his love for his son. The end.

Robtard
mAOX_CHU0JY

roughrider
but who is more ridiculous?

the person who simply wants to own the films they loved as a child

or the person who is offended by the one who simply wants to own the films they loved as a child?

It's irrelevant because they are owned by George Lucas and he made them the way he wants, and he has the rights to enhance them in any way he wants. This is a argument that has gone for 15 years now; fans think they OWN the films, but they actually don't.

Notice I use the word 'enhance' rather than 'change' - it's because for all the yelling over the SE, the story is completely intact from how it was first presented. Nothing is changed whether Han or Greedo shot first, or whether Mos Eisley is bigger with more vehicles, whether the Sarlacc has a beak or not, and on & on & on - the characters & story still proceed the way they did in 1977-83. Take all the enhancements away and the visual difference between the two trilogies becomes more stark, when Lucas wants them to feel as uniform as possible. That's why the insertion of Ian McDiarmid in hologram form in TESB adds to continuity.

I've been a fan since I was watching it in theatres as a boy in 1977, and though I could quibble over a few enhancements here & there (the new musical number in Jabba's palace isn't better, the altered editing rhythm of the last scene in ROTJ) overall it works for me. I'm a first generation fan who sits willingly with the second generation quite well. The vocal minority who view every second of the OT as being cast in stone, it's like they've trying to stop the flow of a river by stringing ropes through it. Forget it; it all moves on.

DARTH POWER

just the notion that the story is "unfinished", despite the main arc concluding, is a completely subjective slipperly slope. (what about 95 year old luke's struggles at the galactic nursing home, battling overbearing aggressive orderlies?) we're always curious over what happens to characters and in some cases we are endulged...(some cases way too overendulged like return of the king), but these are all post-story.

Well sure but by that line of thinking the Original Star Wars was completely fine as a one off movie. It was a happy ending with celebrations and medals with the Villains and even the Empire seemingly defeated.

But clearly there was unresolved plots, and many unanswered questions and potential for a much more in depth story. Which is still true when coming to the end of ROTJ after watching all 6 movies now.

It's irrelevant because they are owned by George Lucas and he made them the way he wants, and he has the rights to enhance them in any way he wants. This is a argument that has gone for 15 years now; fans think they OWN the films, but they actually don't.

Imagine if Lucas made ESB and ROTJ just based on what the fans wanted.

Fans should really have more respect for the man who created their fandom.

focus4chumps
Well sure but by that line of thinking the Original Star Wars was completely fine as a one off movie. It was a happy ending with celebrations and medals with the Villains and even the Empire seemingly defeated.

you are correct in that it was a complete story arc, in and of itself. however there was plenty of room for the story to expand. the empire was obviously not defeated as vader and the emporer lived and essentially a fraction of the empire's force was destroyed. i emphasise 'expand' because that's the key ingredient in a successful series. not just a to ''continue'' and answer questions that really dont amount to anything besides superficial character circumstances in their future.

put simply, if your questions could have simply been answered in an ending crawl after RotJ, its hardly worth even one more movie.
"han went on to be a famous gynecologist, and chewbacca became the galaxy's most renowned chorus line dancer", etc

But clearly there was unresolved plots, and many unanswered questions and potential for a much more in depth story. Which is still true when coming to the end of ROTJ after watching all 6 movies now.

the only unanswered question i can think of was the one lucas threw on us with the PT. "wait...leia will likely be a jedi as per yoda's request, but now does that mean she has to dump han?"

what else is there to know? palpatine's prescience along with the jedi being extinct was the key to the empire's unchecked power. this is made clear when force-n00b luke managed to unravel the whole thing starting with deathstar1 exploding. ep6 leaves us comfortable in the knowledge that while luke and the gang will have to lay low and train jedi and army, they will win. the devil is dead.

look you dont have to argue the need for a sequel since you are getting one. however you seem to be wishing for tablescraps from RotJ with some generic EU antagonists thown in. be careful what you wish for since that can turn out incredibly tedious and boring and make us all reminisce over the good ol' days of AotC.

Robtard
Wasn't Leia being the savior of the Light Side and bringer of balance more of a possible safety-net if Luke happened to follow in his father's footsteps and go Dark?

focus4chumps
Wasn't Leia being the savior of the Light Side and bringer of balance more of a possible safety-net if Luke happened to follow in his father's footsteps and go Dark?

that was up in the air at the end of esb, and as ush said, there was supposed to be another person as his sister and 3 more films before RotJ. GL was always very fickle with his plans for the saga.

DARTH POWER
you are correct in that it was a complete story arc, in and of itself. however there was plenty of room for the story to expand.

Exactly how I feel about the end of ROTJ.

the empire was obviously not defeated as vader and the emporer lived and essentially a fraction of the empire's force was destroyed.

Depends how you look at it. Grand Moff Tarkin (who was shown as the guy who gives Vader orders) was killed. Vader's fate was left ambiguous but he may also have been defeated. Who was the Emporer in the Original SW? Just a name. We had no idea that he was a Force wielder and that the whole Empire was created and dependent on him!

And technically only a fraction of the Empire's force was destroyed at the end of ROTJ as well.

put simply, if your questions could have simply been answered in an ending crawl after RotJ, its hardly worth even one more movie.
"han went on to be a famous gynecologist, and chewbacca became the galaxy's most renowned chorus line dancer", etc

After watching all 6 episodes I'm really more concerned about Luke's destiny and that of the Jedi Order. Because that really isn't clear to me at the end of ROTJ and it doesn't help that Lucas has pretty much always rejected the Eu's take on those events.

the only unanswered question i can think of was the one lucas threw on us with the PT. "wait...leia will likely be a jedi as per yoda's request, but now does that mean she has to dump han?"

Not really. The whole Empire is still there. It's only their leader who died. Palpatine clearly planted a lot of evil around the Galaxy to form the Empire. So I really don't see how the end of ROTJ explains what happens. To all those Grand Moff's in charge of all those armies, to the Jedi Order.. What happens? We really can only guess.

But yeah also your point. Because it was kind of a big issue that Leia was to be trained, and also a big part of the plot that Leia loves Han. In fact the last line of the movie was "He's my brother" right before they kiss! So what happens? Again we guess!

look you dont have to argue the need for a sequel since you are getting one. however you seem to be wishing for tablescraps from RotJ with some generic EU antagonists thown in. be careful what you wish for since that can turn out incredibly tedious and boring and make us all reminisce over the good ol' days of AotC.

Oh no I'm not totally convinced I want sequels at all. I was perfectly happy with 6 movies. I have a bad feeling Disney might cheapen the SW franchise by making continuous movies every 2 years. But I'm hoping for the best.

All I'm saying is after watching all 6 movies I'm not happy with the ending ROTJ provided. But hey a CW type animated series of that time period would have made me happy!

Ushgarak
Well, if you are not happy with the ending then that is fair enough. I think the stylistic point that the Empire is finished has been made, though- from the plot logic that it needed either the Death Star oir the Senate to survive and now has neither, to the symbolic imagery of the Emperor's statue on Coruscant being toppled and all the joyous galactic scenes. Having been made in these ways, it does not have to be spelt out literally.

Which is not to say it can't be used in a new story, just that it's not a reason to consider the existing story unfinished.

(And if it is used in the new films, it should again be part of the backdrop, not the central plot)

Robtard

Oh no I'm not totally convinced I want sequels at all. I was perfectly happy with 6 movies. I have a bad feeling Disney might cheapen the SW franchise by making continuous movies every 2 years. But I'm hoping for the best.

You can always opt to not watch them and remain blissfully ignorant.

dadudemon

focus4chumps

OB1-adobe
Its been a long time since I've seen these forums get this much action. I remember when I would post something, and there would be no action in here for days.

I've been thinking a lot about this new trilogy a lot since its announcement. I also started watching 1-6 again, I was actually planning on it anyway before this announcement came. I've been on a fantasy / sci fi movie franchise kick lately. I recently watched 2001 & 2010, predator & alien films, Star trek films, currently Star wars. After that I think I'll watch LOTR, back to the future trilogy, Matrix trilogy, Terminator 1-4, Indiana jones 1-4, Bill & ted 1&2, Ghostbusters 1 & 2, Robocop trilogy, Jurassic park trilogy etc.....

Any way I am going to make some wild ass predictions. it will be fun to see how wrong I am.

1. The main protagonist will be a female

2. We'll see the return of the double bladed light saber

3. We'll see Kashyyk and the wookies again.

4. we do not go to tatooine in the ep 7

5. we will definitely see corusant in ep 7

6. We will see x wings again

marwash22
^ that's a thick ass limb you're stepping out on.

focus4chumps
^^LOL

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by marwash22
^ that's a thick ass limb you're stepping out on.

possibly

I'm almost positive about the double bladed lightsaber. That would not surprise me at all

dadudemon

The Wikipedia entry doesn't agree with that, however. That wiki is heavily cited. Is it reliable?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Star_Wars_sequel_trilogy#Initial_vision:_9_or_12_f
ilms_.281976.E2.80.931981.29

That other stuff didn't come until the 90s when he said that XI "ended the story". Again, that is just classic Lucas contradiction stuff but it is not at though the notion was pulled out of thin air. Once upon a time, there was room in Lucas' soul for a sequel trilogy.

And the recent discussions with Mark Hamill do not make it seem like there wasn't room for a sequel. It seems like something happened in 2012 that changed George's mind and all that stuff he's been saying since the 90s was just negative talk-back and pessimism. Why else the change in attitude all of a sudden? He was gung-ho about it in the 70s and early 80s..but 90s come around and up through 2012, he wasn't wanting to do it and saying there was no room for a sequel anymore. But, now, he's talking to Mark and wanting to get the gang back together, possibly? Too much contradiction for me to just swallow that the saga actually did end with VI. VII, VIII, and IX will be sequels of sorts. Too early to tell. But how much of a sequel in name only is what we need to wait on.

I'll hold my conclusion off on this discussion until 2015 when we can see if the story actually does continue or if it is just an ancillary story.

Sith Master X
Well I vowed several months ago that I was done with this place because no one could find anything positive to talk about anymore.

But, now that we have a new trilogy coming, that may be exactly the thing to get these forums off life support. This has the potential to be fun again, just like the good old days.

I will make one small prediction though. Lucas will have nothing to do with the writing or directing, yet he'll still get blamed for all of Episode 7's shortcomings. I can see the writing on the walls now. Similar situation to INDY 4. "Oh, but Lucas came up with the story." And I'm so over that one, because even Speilberg himself admitted, "I nuked the fridge, not George."

Anyway, I look forward to the new trilogy. Though I keep hearing all over the internet everyone screaming for Joss Whedon, and I have to say, I must be the only one to have found The Avengers a bit overrated. I mean I enjoyed it, but really, 7 out of 10. Nothing that blows me away like Spider-Man 2 still does.

I know everyone will laugh at this, but I would love for James Cameron to direct. He can balance special effects and story out pretty well. But I'm sure he'll be busy with Avatar 2 and 3...so I'll dream on.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Sith Master X
Well I vowed several months ago that I was done with this place because no one could find anything positive to talk about anymore.

But, now that we have a new trilogy coming, that may be exactly the thing to get these forums off life support. This has the potential to be fun again, just like the good old days.

I will make one small prediction though. Lucas will have nothing to do with the writing or directing, yet he'll still get blamed for all of Episode 7's shortcomings. I can see the writing on the walls now. Similar situation to INDY 4. "Oh, but Lucas came up with the story." And I'm so over that one, because even Speilberg himself admitted, "I nuked the fridge, not George."

Anyway, I look forward to the new trilogy. Though I keep hearing all over the internet everyone screaming for Joss Whedon, and I have to say, I must be the only one to have found The Avengers a bit overrated. I mean I enjoyed it, but really, 7 out of 10. Nothing that blows me away like Spider-Man 2 still does.

I know everyone will laugh at this, but I would love for James Cameron to direct. He can balance special effects and story out pretty well. But I'm sure he'll be busy with Avatar 2 and 3...so I'll dream on.

I was with you on everything, including the rating of Avengers...until you started on about James Cameron. laughing

Well, welcome back. You seem like a great dude.

Sith Master X
Thanks. smile

Yeah, I figured people would find my interest in Cameron directing a bit odd, but I love everything he's ever touched for the most part, and he's one that can handle special effects pretty well, while still having a really strong story.

I just keep hearing the obvious choices, like Nolan, J.J Abrams or Whedon, and I honestly disagree with everyone of them. They are all brilliant directors, and I probably would have loved to have Abrams on board if he hadn't already done Star Trek. I don't want those two universes to feel the same. I don't think Abrams would do that anyway, but it's better to be safe and distance themselves from that possibility.

Cameron, Brad Bird, or Guillermo del Toro would be some of my choices.

OB1-adobe

Sweet Jesus look who it is!

Sith Master X
Good to see you back too OB1. Feels like old times doesn't it?

The new trilogy is going to bring this place roaring back to life as time goes on.

OB1-adobe
Good to see you back too OB1. Feels like old times doesn't it?

The new trilogy is going to bring this place roaring back to life as time goes on.

old times yes, but in way, like that time never lapsed.

I can wait for the screen shots, and the numerous replies of:

"Pfffft That's totally Fake!"

The moment the first trailer hits, and we all come to post our response. And nobody ever read what you just posted because by the time you posted the thread already grew by 3 pages

Sith Master X
One of my fondest memories of the golden era here was JP getting access to Hyperspace on StarWars.com...and we practically were salivating over the release of the next Episode III "webisode" which you could only view on there at the time.

You're totally right. Threads will blow up once screen shots and videos are released.

I think the forums will get a little more active now, but I think the best days will be late 2013-2015 as we start getting closer to release. This place picked up big time in the year leading up to ROTS. It will definitely take time, but I think the "life support" days here might start to reverse themselves now.

These 7 pages to this thread is the most active I've seen this forum in over 2 years.

OB1-adobe
One of my fondest memories of the golden era here was JP getting access to Hyperspace on StarWars.com...and we practically were salivating over the release of the next Episode III "webisode" which you could only view on there at the time.

You're totally right. Threads will blow up once screen shots and videos are released.

I think the forums will get a little more active now, but I think the best days will be late 2013-2015 as we start getting closer to release. This place picked up big time in the year leading up to ROTS. It will definitely take time, but I think the "life support" days here might start to reverse themselves now.

These 7 pages to this thread is the most active I've seen this forum in over 2 years.

Hyperspace, I remember that B.S.

The first purchase I ever made with a credit card.

There is no way they can get away with that corporate crap now. Video posted.....someone puts it on youtube immediately.

watching the web cam was literally, I mean literally watching paint dry

Sith Master X
Yeah, social media has changed drastically since then. YouTube rules the internet now, as does Facebook and Twitter, so it will be interesting to see how many people come back here. I have a feeling it won't be as populated as before, but I still think there will be a core group that will make this place fun again over the next several years. Honestly...there has been absolutely nothing left of these forums lately. At least this Star Wars section in particular.

I'm glad we have another trilogy to look forward to now, because I will get to catch up with lots of old friends and have nice new discussions (sometimes arguments) lol. But, I will always call this place my Star Wars home. Everytime I watch ROTS, I always have KMC in the back of my head.

Nephthys
Apparantly Lucas is giving most if not all 4 billion dollars of the money from the deal to charity.

http://thatschurch.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/tumblr_maq77ecMHG1qejf6u.gif

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Nephthys
Apparantly Lucas is giving most if not all 4 billion dollars of the money from the deal to charity.

Really?!

You have a source for that?

That may be one of the greatest acts of kindness I've ever heard of (if it's true).

Jedi Sheriff
Getting Peter Jackson on board would make me happy, just don't get JJ Abrams involved, he'll ruin it by introducing time-travel or a shadowy syndicate within the New Republic called something silly and mysterious like The Conglomerate, and we wont really be sure of who the good guys are till about half an hour before the end of Ep. IX, at which point he'll start tying off all the loose ends he has created because he's a poor excuse for a writer.

focus4chumps
The Wikipedia entry doesn't agree with that, however. That wiki is heavily cited. Is it reliable?

im having trouble citing since its all old sequel info is burried under an avalanche of new sequel info

not to mention that he ALWAYS contradicts himself (KNOWINGLY LIES).

but anyway wiki keeps getting altered and outright valdilized, and now a billion dollar industry even has a vested interest in doing so, so i decided to link an old page version and (lawdy lawd its a miracle) found this:

http://www.filmthreat.com/interviews/8/

Ushgarak
Mind you, it must be remembered that those were very early pre-production ideas. Looking at how much ESB and ROTJ changed during production (particularly ROTJ), let alone before it, we'll never know what possible kind of form those films could have taken. Whatever ideas were there, GL didn't want to do them.

However, it's relatively safe to say the "Luke's sister" plotline was one they were setting up. in ESB.They can't use that now, so it's fuzzy what ideas GL had for them to now use for more films.

HyperStream

Dude seriously it's weird seeing your name again....

Some people here might not remember me but I spent nearly every day from 2002-05 on KMC reading and posting about the latest Star Wars/Matrix trilogy news as Space Opera. I had to re register recently because the email I used for that account is gone now. I'm so glad to be back here with a brand new trilogy to talk about for years and years to come smile I'm saving up for a brand new 15 inch retina macbook pro and I can't wait to start surfing and posting on KMC with it.

Here are my predictions:

1: Fox logo/theme is out for sure. There's no way those bastards would license anything like their official business logo to Disney.

2: The main protagonist will be a Skywalker. I agree with the possibility of the character being a girl, and I actually really like that idea. Female Jedi in SW movies so far have been awful and Disney loves making their movies politically correct. Hunger Games gives great incentive for this.

3: The earliest we could see the first official image released from SWVII will probably be early 2014, possibly late 2013.

4: There will be many connections between the OT and this one (did someone say X-WINGS?) because Disney has no reason to not cash in on the novelty of seeing those old ships digitally represented in a new and fresh way on the big screen. I guarantee that as soon as fanboys first see an X-wing in an official image or doing a fly by in the first trailer they will CREAM THEIR JEANS and swear to be there opening night.

5: John Williams will be back for these. Hiring another composer would almost be enough for me to swear off the new trilogy for good. I'm that devoted to the man because Johnny shaped my childhood in more ways than Lucas could have ever hoped to.

Here are some of my hopes and dreams:

1: They give the franchise to Whedon. I know, I know.... it would be kind of a cheap trick on Disney's part, but for me personally the chemistry between the characters in both Avengers and Firefly feel more Star Wars-y than any other film or tv show I've ever seen (including Clone Wars- don't get me started on that crap). There's a very real chance that Disney could make this decision and personally I think there isn't a better choice out there for this.

2: If it's handled well (which it probably wouldn't be) I would love to see Mark Hamill back as old, prosperous Jedi Master Luke. I believe he would play the role really well today.

3: However if they do decide to bring back Hamill, leave Carrie Fisher and Harrison out of it. Carrie's in terrible shape because of a long and horrible struggle with addiction and Harrison is too distracting in general to reprise his role as old Han especially considering he's already done old Indy.

4: I sincerely hope that John Williams doesn't pass away before the end of this trilogy, and I've also accepted the fact that one day we may eventually have someone else score the new Star Wars movies. That will be a sad day for me.

Oh Yeah... and that shit about George giving away $4 billion? Totally true:

.eonline.com/news/359563/george-lucas-donating-disney-billions-to-fund-education

That's gotta be the most generous man in the world.

Thank you George for giving me pure escapism as a child, and I apologize on behalf of all the idiotic nerds out there because you never once deserved a single ounce of all the hatred and mockery that they piled on you for making the prequels exactly the way you wanted them to be and allowing only yourself to have control of your own art. You are an amazing person and I hope the rest of your endeavors are successful and I hope history is kinder to you than that of your so called "fans."

DARTH POWER
Considering Luke was supposed to discover his sister in that sequel trilogy and the Emporer wasn't to make an appearance until Episode IX it seems like they wrapped all those story lines up in ROTJ.

Originally posted by HyperStream

Oh Yeah... and that shit about George giving away $4 billion? Totally true:

.eonline.com/news/359563/george-lucas-donating-disney-billions-to-fund-education

That's gotta be the most generous man in the world.

I'm sure the haters will find a way to demonize this somehow! Lol

HyperStream
Considering Luke was supposed to discover his sister in that sequel trilogy and the Emporer wasn't to make an appearance until Episode IX it seems like they wrapped all those story lines up in ROTJ.

I'm sure the haters will find a way to demonize this somehow! Lol

Lol I've already read comments on some news sites saying things like "What a waste of money George!" "Way to toss money at the problem instead of fixing it George" bunch of self righteous jealous c*nts out there if you ask me.

DARTH POWER
Lol I've already read comments on some news sites saying things like "What a waste of money George!" "Way to toss money at the problem instead of fixing it George" bunch of self righteous jealous c*nts out there if you ask me.

OMG I was just kidding!

Just goes to show, never listen to haters. Because that's all they are! Haters! As if any of them would give up $4Billion!

focus4chumps
Mind you, it must be remembered that those were very early pre-production ideas. Looking at how much ESB and ROTJ changed during production (particularly ROTJ), let alone before it, we'll never know what possible kind of form those films could have taken. Whatever ideas were there, GL didn't want to do them.

while i certainly dont believe GL should be persecuted for changing his mind, i cant STAND how he constantly acts like it was all predetermined, airbrushing the history of his creative process with EVERY new change of plans. like the whole saga just came to him in the mid-70's in a single gestalten divine revelation.

Gambler
4 billions would be just enough to pull few countries out of economical recession. One can dream though...

focus4chumps
was it revealed which charities he donated to?

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by Gambler
4 billions would be just enough to pull few countries out of economical recession. One can dream though...

no it won't. Its like giving money to a friend that has a gambling problem.

give a man a fish and feed for him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime.

If they don't know what to do with it, they will end up in the same position they were in

focus4chumps
oh dear...

new topic: geo-political analyses and solutions for world-wide impoverishment.

DARTH POWER
no it won't. Its like giving money to a friend that has a gambling problem.

give a man a fish and feed for him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime.

If they don't know what to do with it, they will end up in the same position they were in

thumb up

They're problem is having a yearly deficit. It's not Lucas's problem or responsibility to use his life's savings to help sort them out for a year.

He's right to give it to a cause he's passionate about.

I can't even believe people are actually finding ways to attack him on this. When you give your life savings away then talk.

focus4chumps
there are right wing attacks surfacing about how he's only profiting through avoiding obama's taxes and blah blah. its sickening really. sure he will see a significant return for a substantial portion of it, but they're making it like he's profiting

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/george-lucass-jedi-estate-planning-2012-11-01?link=MW_latest_news

Barker
However if they do decide to bring back Hamill, leave Carrie Fisher and Harrison out of it. Carrie's in terrible shape because of a long and horrible struggle with addiction and Harrison is too distracting in general to reprise his role as old Han especially considering he's already done old Indy.
C'mon, you don't want to see them at least have cameos?

I don't want Luke, Leia, or Han to have major roles or even semi-major roles.

But I do want to see them.

dadudemon

That's probably sound enough logic to dismiss his "youthful" statements when his eyes were much bigger. I think he's become jaded and grumpy as he's gotten older. It probably is for the best that he passed off the torch.

Thank you George for giving me pure escapism as a child, and I apologize on behalf of all the idiotic nerds out there because you never once deserved a single ounce of all the hatred and mockery that they piled on you for making the prequels exactly the way you wanted them to be and allowing only yourself to have control of your own art. You are an amazing person and I hope the rest of your endeavors are successful and I hope history is kinder to you than that of your so called "fans."

Amen. I have not disliked anything GL has done with StarWars. Granted, I've liked some things more than others. I wish the hate would not have been so strong. I like the prequel, generally, more than the OT.

there are right wing attacks surfacing about how he's only profiting through avoiding obama's taxes and blah blah. its sickening really. sure he will see a significant return for a substantial portion of it, but they're making it like he's profiting

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/george-lucass-jedi-estate-planning-2012-11-01?link=MW_latest_news

Man...such bullshit. Someone can't even do a "Christian" thing without the Christians jumping down their throat. They just jelly because they didn't donate the money to get the kudos from their fellow church goers. Sorry, don't want to take this off topic.

Sith Master X

I couldn't have said that better myself.

This sort of thing is what was lacking around here a while back, and as much as I loved this place and the amount of years I was a part of it, it was no longer fun to discuss anything.

I can totally understand people being disappointed or having criticism, as that is everyone's right. But, the one thing I could never comprehend, was just how much time and effort people put forth to constantly bash Lucas as if it were part of their job description. It just didn't stop....constantly, thread after thread. Whatever was being discussed, it somehow got reverted back to "that vile monster George Lucas." It got so old and tiring. The man is human like anyone else, and, he tried his best.

I think sometimes people forget that at the end of the day, they're just movies. Everyone had expectations that were held at near impossible standards, and some took their disappointment personally, as if it's somehow going to affect the way they live.....and it's at that point where one really needs to step back, take a deep breath, and just move on.

I guess some will probably call me a Lucas fanboy. But, I consider myself as someone who likes to have fun with movies, and for the most part, I enjoyed the prequels for what they were, and could never fathom letting my life rot away on the internet just to bash one person over and over again, year after year, post after post. It's just beyond sad at this point, when TPM and AOTC are already over a decade old.

I was somewhat offended that they rebooted Spider-Man so soon. I considered it a big cop out to the work Raimi had accomplished (even though the 3rd wasn't as good) but, instead of spending the next 2 years on the internet to bash the producers, I simply just let it go, because whining about it month after month wasn't going to accomplish anything.

You look at what Luacs is doing with the money he's getting from Disney, and I think that proves some of us right all along. He's a good guy, and it's time for people to devote their energies on the new trilogy, without dragging Lucas' name and the PT through the mud.

focus4chumps
...so you're not saying that they have no right to express their opinions here, just that they have no right to express negative opinions here?

dadudemon
...so you're not saying that they have no right to express their opinions here, just that they have no right to express negative opinions here?

Looks more like, "Why the unrelenting and constant bitching" rather than, "you have no right to complain".

In fact, he said, "I can totally understand people being disappointed or having criticism, as that is everyone's right."

I agree with him, too: people made it a part-time job to just constantly b*tch about the PT. It got old and irritating very quickly.

Generally, KMC is very anti-PT. For me, it boils down to, "You don't agree with me and I think you're reasons are invalid." I went through the complaints with several members and showed why their complaints are pretty much not legitimate at all when they hold the OT in such high-regard. Marius was one of the few posters to give original and un-hypocritical complaints against the PT which, for me, elevates his opinion above the others' complaints.

Sadako of Girth
I couldn't have said that better myself.

This sort of thing is what was lacking around here a while back, and as much as I loved this place and the amount of years I was a part of it, it was no longer fun to discuss anything.

I can totally understand people being disappointed or having criticism, as that is everyone's right. But, the one thing I could never comprehend, was just how much time and effort people put forth to constantly bash Lucas as if it were part of their job description. It just didn't stop....constantly, thread after thread. Whatever was being discussed, it somehow got reverted back to "that vile monster George Lucas." It got so old and tiring. The man is human like anyone else, and, he tried his best.

I think sometimes people forget that at the end of the day, they're just movies. Everyone had expectations that were held at near impossible standards, and some took their disappointment personally, as if it's somehow going to affect the way they live.....and it's at that point where one really needs to step back, take a deep breath, and just move on.

I guess some will probably call me a Lucas fanboy. But, I consider myself as someone who likes to have fun with movies, and for the most part, I enjoyed the prequels for what they were, and could never fathom letting my life rot away on the internet just to bash one person over and over again, year after year, post after post. It's just beyond sad at this point, when TPM and AOTC are already over a decade old.

I was somewhat offended that they rebooted Spider-Man so soon. I considered it a big cop out to the work Raimi had accomplished (even though the 3rd wasn't as good) but, instead of spending the next 2 years on the internet to bash the producers, I simply just let it go, because whining about it month after month wasn't going to accomplish anything.

You look at what Luacs is doing with the money he's getting from Disney, and I think that proves some of us right all along. He's a good guy, and it's time for people to devote their energies on the new trilogy, without dragging Lucas' name and the PT through the mud.

Other people like to have fun with movies too. Hence the dissatisfaction with the prequels.

Fun = The OT for them. Is that not enough? Or does everyone have to step in line and consume what ever is shat onto a plate without noting the many many flies buzzing around it?

For fans who grew up on the OT, loving every minute of it, they could still enjoy the prequels for what they were: Movies that looked flashy but had zero actual depth, and diminished what was a great saga.

To demonify their critiques in such aggressive fashion, for having a differing opinion or perception or threshold for poop is not cricket, young Jedi.

And as for the longevity of the bad feedback, it would probably have been quelled, if the offending movies were not re-relased in VHS, DVD, BluRay, 3-D etc etc reminding everyone of the horror over and over again. And to paraphrase Bill Hicks: "Oh I can't talk about JFK cause it was "a long time ago..get over it" well don't talk about Jesus to ME then..."

And if they are just movies: Why the energy put into vilifying those who may have seen them, and their criticisms...maybe they love movies more than you...if you pity their anorakness or however you seen them, just go about your day and leave us to it maybe?

focus4chumps
Looks more like, "Why the unrelenting and constant bitching" rather than, "you have no right to complain".

In fact, he said, "I can totally understand people being disappointed or having criticism, as that is everyone's right."

I agree with him, too: people made it a part-time job to just constantly b*tch about the PT. It got old and irritating very quickly.

Generally, KMC is very anti-PT. For me, it boils down to, "You don't agree with me and I think you're reasons are invalid." I went through the complaints with several members and showed why their complaints are pretty much not legitimate at all when they hold the OT in such high-regard. Marius was one of the few posters to give original and un-hypocritical complaints against the PT which, for me, elevates his opinion above the others' complaints.

hmmm interesting interpretation dadudemon, however i cannot find any evidence of individual(s) flooding threads with bashings about "that vile monster George Lucas." i think ush/queeq would have put a stop to such distractive derailments. im sure you know well how the mods here find such behavior distasteful.

maybe someone can link me to an example of "unrelenting and constant bitching" in this forum?

dadudemon
Just now, on my Facebook:

"J.W. Rinzler, Lucasfilm Executive Editor and author of The Making of Star Wars, talks about The Long, Winding, and Shapeshifting Trail to Episodes VII, VIII & IX on the Star Wars blog."

http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2012/10/30/the-long-winding-and-shapeshifting-trail-to-episodes-vii-viii-ix/

dadudemon
hmmm interesting interpretation dadudemon, however i cannot find any evidence of individual(s) flooding threads with bashings about "that vile monster George Lucas." i think ush/queeq would have put a stop to such distractive derailments. im sure you know well how the mods here find such behavior distasteful.

maybe someone can link me to an example of "unrelenting and constant bitching" in this forum?

It was before your time on KMC, focus. Don't worry about it.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>