Disney acquires Lucasfilm, Ltd - Plans for Star Wars - Ep. 7 in 2015

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nephthys
Disney link of Officialnessness.

http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/sites/default/files/styles/490_scale/public/DisneyLucasFilm_489x295_0.jpg

"Global leader in high-quality family entertainment agrees to acquire world-renowned Lucasfilm Ltd, including legendary STAR WARS franchise.

Acquisition continues Disney's strategic focus on creating and monetizing the world's best branded content, innovative technology and global growth to drive long-term shareholder value.

Lucasfilm to join company's global portfolio of world class brands including Disney, ESPN, Pixar, Marvel and ABC.

STAR WARS: EPISODE 7 feature film targeted for release in 2015."

It begins.

Patient_Leech
Oh lord...

siriuswriter
I always knew that Disney would one day rule the world - especially after going to Disneyland when I was four and I got Mickey's, Minnie's, Goofy's, AND Pluto's signatures.

Ascendancy
Weaksauce. Old Republic film saga FTW.

Episode 7:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5mx1p6JMl1rutf1to1_1280.jpg

LanceWindu
Cautiously optimistic.

Without Lucas running the show, we could get a re-invigorated franchise.

quanchi112
They better put forth an awesome villain. So much potential.

LanceWindu
Originally posted by quanchi112
They better out forth an awesome villain. So much potential.

You bring up an excellent point.

Vader is dead, Palpatine is dead. If they don't use the Thrawn Trilogy as a basis, who is going to be the new baddie?

roughrider
I might eventually see the upside to all this, but right now I'm just numb with shock.

Lucas put everything he got out of the first Star Wars film to build an independent film-making empire up in Northern California, taking all the merchandising rights Fox (in what proved to be a stupendously short sighted move) gave away to him in his original contract. The difference between Star Wars and all the other film series owned and beaten into the ground by other studios, was the rights were owned by one man. And he made them the way he wanted to, with no studio bureaucracy breathing down on him. It made the films special events when they came.

....And now - the empire, the rights to Star Wars - it's all owned by Disney.

no expression

Nephthys
By the way, this means they own Indiana Jones as well. smile

LanceWindu
Originally posted by Nephthys
By the way, this means they own Indiana Jones as well. smile

From what I've read, youu're wrong. Too many other people own bits of Indy, they weren't able to aquire the rights.

steverules_2
http://i.minus.com/ib2EXAMcKusT5.gif

BruceSkywalker
well i guess 75 year old mark hamill, harrison ford and carrie fisher better get back to work...

lolololol

steverules_2
The least they can do is bring back boba fett...then the movie can end

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by steverules_2
The least they can do is bring back boba fett...then the movie can end

i just hope its something good

quanchi112
This is good news lets just hope they don't eff this up.

steverules_2
Mickey Mouse shot first

Newjak
Hey who cares if they do a good job with it stick out tongue

Jim Colyer
I knew SW would continue. It's too big not to!

roughrider
Originally posted by Jim Colyer
I knew SW would continue. It's too big not to!

I know. But I thought if it did, whomever George named as his successor would be the one in charge of that; that it would still be a Lucasfilm project. Not one by an outsider corporation like Disney.

Jedi Sheriff
Let's be honest guys, the only people capable of messing up the franchise more than Lucas is Disney. Also, doesn't George look like he was forced to sign that contract in that pic?

Jedi Sheriff
Excited about new films though. Didn't think Lucas would go back to that well.

Nemesis X
First Disney bought Marvel, now it bought Lucasfilms. Maybe we'll finally get that crossover between Darth Vader and Wolverine and put an end to the century long debate on whether or not a lightsaber can cut through adamantium just to shut fanboys up.

Esau Cairn
Walt was cryogenetically frozen.
So was Han.
The plot thickens.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Nemesis X
First Disney bought Marvel, now it bought Lucasfilms. Maybe we'll finally get that crossover between Darth Vader and Wolverine and put an end to the century long debate on whether or not a lightsaber can cut through adamantium just to shut fanboys up.
Oddly enough, I didn't see too much bad come out of Disney having Marvel like I thought there would be, so I'll try and remain optimistic about them having Star Wars for the time being.

Esau Cairn
Jar Jar finally finds his birth parents in Goofy & Mickey.

Patient_Leech
I dont understand how this is good news. Disney will probably gay it up even more than George Lucas. Does this mean that that George Lucas isn't directing anymore?

Jedi Sheriff
I'm sure GL will still have a hand in it.

Patient_Leech
I dont understand how this is good news. Disney will probably gay it up even more than George Lucas. Does this mean that that George Lucas isn't directing anymore?

rudester
Disney loves claymation, claymation loves Disney... enough said, star wars is going to be made out of playdoe.. how cool is that!

rudester
Has anyone ever seen the made for tv show children's show "The Adventures of Mark Twain", The Mysterious Stranger? Crazy shit ever... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnm-YVibzoU&feature=fvwrel

quanchi112
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I dont understand how this is good news. Disney will probably gay it up even more than George Lucas. Does this mean that that George Lucas isn't directing anymore? Look at the first two prequels and tell me Lucas did an awesome job with a straight face. Optimism is the word of the day.

Patient_Leech
I'm not saying that Lucas did an amazing job. I'm just saying that I don't think that Disney can do any better after their raping of John Carter.

But my question still stands: does this mean that Lucas isn't directing anymore?

Esau Cairn

But my question still stands: does this mean that Lucas isn't directing anymore?

The things is, Lucas isn't really much of a director.
THX1138, American Graffiti & 4 Star Wars movies.

quanchi112
I'm not saying that Lucas did an amazing job. I'm just saying that I don't think that Disney can do any better after their raping of John Carter.

But my question still stands: does this mean that Lucas isn't directing anymore? Thats one movie. I'm sure you're not getting the John carter team especially considering the abysmal failure that movie ended up being. Have faith.

Esau Cairn
It just baffles me how Disney expects to make a profit after spending $4 BILLION dollars on a franchise that's already been flogged to death.

I mean a generation of kids have already grown up not knowing who Luke, Leia, Han & Chewie was...

the ninjak
I think good things can come from this. It isn't like Lucusarts have been doing stuff like in their Golden Age of films and games.

Hopefully we see some sweet ventures.

Newjak

But my question still stands: does this mean that Lucas isn't directing anymore? I actually really liked John Carter.

The visuals were good

The characters were good

The action was good

And I thought the plot was pretty fun.

I think what ultimately doomed it was poor marketing by Disney and a huge budget. No one knew exactly what John Carter was about so no one ended going to see it early. And it wasn't good enough to have word of mouth get it back out of the hole marketing put it in. The huge budget also made it impossible to turn a profit after the bad opening weekend. It was like they were trying to do POTC in Space but they never marketed it that way.

Honestly if Disney does as good a job with Star Wars as they did John Carter I will be happy with it.

Patient_Leech
^Even Willem Dafoe's greatness couldn't save it from the depths of its suckage. That's saying a lot.

Mr. Rhythmic
My thoughts:

1) I don't want more Star Wars movies.
2) This could work. Look at how Disney has treated the Muppets and Marvel. The pattern is that Disney pumps money into projects, find people passionate about said projects, and let them take control.
3) Thank GOD Lucas is finally off. It's hard to respect a man that doesn't respect his fans.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic

3) Thank GOD Lucas is finally off. It's hard to respect a man that doesn't respect his fans.

When you have die-hard fans who can't tell the difference between real life & a fictional sci-fi verse, it's easier to pity them than show respect...

Ascendancy
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
It just baffles me how Disney expects to make a profit after spending $4 BILLION dollars on a franchise that's already been flogged to death.

I mean a generation of kids have already grown up not knowing who Luke, Leia, Han & Chewie was...

They'll make it back without issue.

BruceSkywalker
so is christian bale available,, lololol big grin

quanchi112
Originally posted by Ascendancy
They'll make it back without issue. Agreed.

DARTH POWER
I loved the prequels. I think the SW film series is a classic. And I am scared taking the power away from Lucas and making a new SW every 2-3 years will cheapen the franchise.

But let's hope for the best. The fan in me wants to see Luke as a Jedi Master.

It's even harder to respect fans who continually insult and disrespect the work of the man who created their fandom.

If he just did what the fans wanted then the films would only appeal to them. End of the day when he made ESB he wasn't just following what the fans of SW wanted in that movie.

Ascendancy
I know the imagination is a great thing, but the scale of some things is just hard to simply visualize in the mind. There are a lot of battles from the saga that would be amazing on the big screen.

Mr. Rhythmic
When you have die-hard fans who can't tell the difference between real life & a fictional sci-fi verse, it's easier to pity them than show respect...

News flash: The die hard fans make up a small percentage of all of the fans, and even they deserve Lucas' attention for their amazing devotion. But instead of accepting that his fans love his classic work, Lucas flipped them off and tried to find every possible way to forsake the people that grew up with Star Wars.
I appreciated how much of an influence he's had on film history, but he can go **** himself for making it impossible to get the original versions of the classic trilogy. I don't want the CGI, I don't want the edits. I want the original movies. You'd think a money grubber like him would see the money potential.

Esau Cairn
News flash: The die hard fans make up a small percentage of all of the fans, and even they deserve Lucas' attention for their amazing devotion. But instead of accepting that his fans love his classic work, Lucas flipped them off and tried to find every possible way to forsake the people that grew up with Star Wars.

I don't personally think much of Lucas' directing or story-telling abilities...he had a great team behind him that made the franchise a legacy & a profit.

Too may people,like yourself, think that Lucas personally owes you something. His movies may have been part of your childhood (as they were to mine) but the guy himself is a separate entity to the product he created.

marwash22
Too may people,like yourself, think that Lucas personally owes you something. His movies may have been part of your childhood (as they were to mine) but the guy himself is a separate entity to the product he created. THIS.

Kazenji
Maybe that Boba Fett movie will happen now.

DARTH POWER

I appreciated how much of an influence he's had on film history, but he can go **** himself for making it impossible to get the original versions of the classic trilogy. I don't want the CGI, I don't want the edits. I want the original movies. You'd think a money grubber like him would see the money potential.

You sound like quite the whiner.

I've got the original versions on Dvd. I suppose your going to complain "No I want them on Blu-Ray."

I personally don't understand the problem behind the updated versions at all! It's not like Greedo shooting first actually changes the story in any way. Just points out Han isn't a cold blooded killer. He was a Pirate, not an Assassin.

And I don't understand why people would get annoyed at updated special effects being added. End of the day one of the prime attractors of SW was always special effects. So it makes sense to me to add stuff to movies whose effects are getting outdated.

If you want Lucas to go f*** himself then throw all his movies in the bin. Or sell them on Ebay.

Nephthys

Lucas is giving most of the 4 billion to charity. So calling him a money-grubber is just plain wrong.

And coming from a 'die hard fan' who has been plenty pissed at him for years, if he goes through with that promise then he gets a free pass on the prequels and anything else irritating he does in the future. It's a staggering act of kindness and selflessness worthy of praise.

Tzeentch._
Kind of.

On the other hand, he isn't capable of spending 4 billion dollars in his lifetime. So really, it was either give it away or let it sit uselessly in a bank. He's already a billionaire irrc.

marwash22
yup, Forbes 400 has him at around 3.5b.

he didn't need the money, maybe he just wanted the paycheck for the specific purpose of making donations.

Robtard
No, you're all wrong as usual. He wants his greatest creation (Star Wars) to continue, but he doesn't want to be trolled into crying anymore by rabid fanboys.

This way he gets to see Star Wars continue on the big screen and he doesn't have to take any flack for future Jar-Jars and Medi-chlorians.

It's an ego thing, basically.

Nephthys
Originally posted by Tzeentch._
Kind of.

On the other hand, he isn't capable of spending 4 billion dollars in his lifetime. So really, it was either give it away or let it sit uselessly in a bank. He's already a billionaire irrc.

Useless up until his death, upon which it presumably goes to his daughter and to the security of her and the rest of his family and future members.

NemeBro
Donating exorbitant sums of money to charity doesn't suddenly make you or your work immune to criticism, and only an idiot would think it does.

Nephthys
It makes you immune to negative feelings and butthurt though.

Darth Truculent
In the new series (DE) Luke is a borderline Jedi Master. Found out that Jaina and Jacen are on board too. What the hell? Virtually all the EU books are now canon. So now we have to wait for Jacen to become Darth Caedus or the Yuuzhan Vong invasion where Luke is a Jedi Master. Disney is going to have a devil of a time with the EU. Maybe New Line Cinema should have bought the rights to SW. After all, they did make LoTR and The Hobbit.

marwash22
Disney's new trilogy isn't going to be related to what has already been written.

Nemesis X
I just hope Disney isn't planning to adapt anything like Dark Empire into a movie. That would suck.

marwash22
I've never read any of the books or played the games but i read the wiki about that Thrawn guy i heard people mention and i thought it was interesting; it probably would have been pretty darn good onscreen.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Nemesis X
I just hope Disney isn't planning to adapt anything like Dark Empire into a movie. That would suck.

How would that suck?

you do realise that Disney has dabbled with movies that are dark or Violent before.

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
You sound like quite the whiner.

I've got the original versions on Dvd. I suppose your going to complain "No I want them on Blu-Ray."

I personally don't understand the problem behind the updated versions at all! It's not like Greedo shooting first actually changes the story in any way. Just points out Han isn't a cold blooded killer. He was a Pirate, not an Assassin.

And I don't understand why people would get annoyed at updated special effects being added. End of the day one of the prime attractors of SW was always special effects. So it makes sense to me to add stuff to movies whose effects are getting outdated.

If you want Lucas to go f*** himself then throw all his movies in the bin. Or sell them on Ebay.

Glorious.
Obviously you didn't read what I wrote, since not a single thing you said had anything to do with it.
Lucas needs to stop re-editing movies and not allowing movie-goers to see the original films in their classic form. ie He can go **** himself for that. That's it. Sounds like I'M not the whiner here.

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by Nephthys
Lucas is giving most of the 4 billion to charity. So calling him a money-grubber is just plain wrong.

And coming from a 'die hard fan' who has been plenty pissed at him for years, if he goes through with that promise then he gets a free pass on the prequels and anything else irritating he does in the future. It's a staggering act of kindness and selflessness worthy of praise.

This news did not come out until after my comment, which is news I greatly respect.

Mr. Rhythmic
I feel like the only people left on KMC are those that don't get enough sleep.

Kazenji
I feel like the only people left on KMC are those that don't get enough sleep.

And also people in another timezone

Also with Lucas he was saying time for new people to do the movies because of the fans disliking the last lot of Star Wars movies.........in other words he gave in and actually listen to the fans.

Esau Cairn

Lucas needs to stop re-editing movies and not allowing movie-goers to see the original films in their classic form. ie He can go **** himself for that. That's it. Sounds like I'M not the whiner here.

You're still not getting the point.
You can still purchase the original films in their classic form.

Nephthys
This news did not come out until after my comment, which is news I greatly respect.

I wasn't rebuking you, just pointing it out.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Kazenji
How would that suck?

you do realise that Disney has dabbled with movies that are dark or Violent before. Because Dark Empire sucks duh.

HyperStream
The dude just gave away $4 billion to charity and there are STILL people who ***** about him. Amazing.

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by HyperStream
The dude just gave away $4 billion to charity and there are STILL people who ***** about him. Amazing.

Then you obviously didn't actually read the conversation.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by NemeBro
Donating exorbitant sums of money to charity doesn't suddenly make you or your work immune to criticism, and only an idiot would think it does.

Yeah but it obviously makes him such a top guy that people should really just back off on the personal insults.

End of the day he made the prequels which the OT refers to. If you hate them then ignore them and just watch the Originals. What's the big deal?

He's actually always been very charitable. Calling him a "money-grabber" is a personal insult which is just completely uncalled for.

Mr. Rhythmic
He's actually always been very charitable. Calling him a "money-grabber" is a personal insult which is just completely uncalled for.

Oh please. He can go cry into his various awards, income, and cinematic triumphs. Me insulting him won't blow up his Death Star.

Kazenji
Originally posted by NemeBro
Because Dark Empire sucks duh.

Maybe it is

haven't read it tho.

DARTH POWER
Oh please. He can go cry into his various awards, income, and cinematic triumphs. Me insulting him won't blow up his Death Star.

No but it's quite petty. And a big shame that so many "fans" of the Original SW feel the need to keep personally insulting the guy who created the source of their fandom in the first place.

Maybe it is

haven't read it tho.

Dark Empire is a very tacky and kiddish comic book. And the resurrection of the Emporer is against Lucas's vision anyway.

juggerman
Darth Bane Trilogy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kazenji

Dark Empire is a very tacky and kiddish comic book. And the resurrection of the Emporer is against Lucas's vision anyway.

haven't read it tho.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.