New Star Wars Film Series - nominate some directors

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roughrider
The lineup to take a crack at Star Wars probably goes around the block, for name directors. Maybe like the Bond series, only one gets it at a time. So...

My first choice would be Andrew Stanton. He's already on the Disney lot, and crossed over from PIXAR to direct John Carter this year(I don't care how much of a box office disappointment it was, I liked it and he showed good live action film making chops.)

Slowpoke
GL's old friend Steven Spielberg.

JediRobin23
Hard to suggest a director without a story/script.

Although, James Cameron would be cool

focus4chumps
is this the thread where 99% of the people who post pretend they have an informed knowledge of the vast pool of eligable directors in hollywood, yet can only mention 5 of them?

stephen spielberg, james cameron, jj abrahms, peter jackson, or ridley scott?

Sith Master X
Brad Bird or Guillermo Del Toro are my nominations.

I do love James Cameron, but he'll be busy with Avatar 2 and 3, so that's out of the question for sure.

Jedi Sheriff
IMO, the choice of director is not that important, at least not yet. It's all about getting the story right. The production team will most likely be first rate anyhow, so even an average director would probably pull it off. Also, Disney might not want someone with too big a profile, as they can be "My way or the highway", rightfully so in some people's cases, but they may prefer someone who will tow the company line.

focus4chumps
Originally posted by Jedi Sheriff
IMO, the choice of director is not that important, at least not yet. It's all about getting the story right.

thumb up

JediRobin23
Originally posted by Sith Master X
Brad Bird or Guillermo Del Toro are my nominations.

I do love James Cameron, but he'll be busy with Avatar 2 and 3, so that's out of the question for sure.

yeah, James Cameron can also turn down a script. Remember Terminator 3...

focus4chumps
may as well hand it to michael bay

Lord Lucien
I'm thinking a new director for each film: Tarantino/Diablo Cody/Peter Jackson.

The perfect team.

Stun
With the utmost respect, can't they just dig up Irvin Kershner?

roughrider
Lucas came up with some low profile choices to do TESB and ROTJ, once upon a time. He might not be in charge anymore, but would Disney and Kathleen Kennedy go the low or high profile route? What with big names like Matthew Vaughn throwing their hat in the arena...

queeq
Vaughn? Oh no.

Well, who would be okay? I dunno... as long as it's not Zack Snyder or Michael Bay, I'm open for anything.

Lord Lucien
Makes you wonder though... what would someone like Uwe Boll do with something like Star Wars?

C-3POTheClever
Peter Jacson or Joss Weedon!

focus4chumps
i just dont want to see a director thats too established and stylized that we have to see that leak out on screen. for example they get jj abrams and we have star wars with shaky-cam and lense flares galore. as it was mentioned, screenplay is the real issue here. after that all thats needed is a driven director who studies the source material to a tee and sticks to the formula.

Lord Lucien
Well, we can officially count this iconic director out of the running.

focus4chumps
thank god

Robtard
Not that they'd go for it, but I'd not mind a Paul Verhoeven take on a Star Wars film.

Jedi Sheriff
If I absolutly had to pick someone now, it would be Peter Jackson. Verhoeven is a good shout too given the style of Starship Troopers and Robocop.

JediRobin23
I think Ridley Scott would be a likely prospect. He doesn't sound too busy with future movies.

focus4chumps
scorcese

/thread

Kazenji
Brad Bird.

roughrider
Originally posted by Robtard
Not that they'd go for it, but I'd not mind a Paul Verhoeven take on a Star Wars film.

Are you hankering for gore and R-rated action in a Star Wars movie? Plus, Verhoeven's default setting is smirking satire. He shot Starship Troopers through a lens of subtle satire; he didn't really take the premise of fascism-makes-a-better-society seriously. Which is why the Troopers uniforms looked not unlike the Wehrmacht & high ranking Nazis. He would mock the Jedi philosophy, too.

Robtard
Originally posted by roughrider
Are you hankering for gore and R-rated action in a Star Wars movie? Plus, Verhoeven's default setting is smirking satire. He shot Starship Troopers through a lens of subtle satire; he didn't really take the premise of fascism-makes-a-better-society seriously. Which is why the Troopers uniforms looked not unlike the Wehrmacht & high ranking Nazis. He would mock the Jedi philosophy, too.

"I'd buy that for a credit!"

BruceSkywalker
me... lol

Lord Lucien
Screenwriter's been picked.

Stun
Good choice, IMO

C-3POTheClever
If I absolutly had to pick someone now, it would be Peter Jackson. thumb up

Sith Master X
Confirmed today that Brad Bird won't be in the running. sad Oh well. Plenty to choose from. It'll probably be someone we don't expect.

OB1-adobe
I think thy will be hard pressed to find someone who is talented wants to do it.

Most of them been like "I ain't touching that"

JediRobin23
Another good choice I would say is Robert Zemeckis. Good story telling directing (Back to the future trilogy) and he is a sci fi guy

darthmaul1
Kevin Smith, Peter Jackson, John Mctirean (don't think he is doing anything anymore)

queeq
As long as it's not Michael Bay or Zack Snyder.

focus4chumps
whats wrong with zack snyder?

Robtard
People haven't recovered from Sucker Punch yet, since it was his last film and it sucked shit covered balls.

roughrider
Jon Favreau apparently has his hand up. Look at his twitter account, and you see an R2 unit painted like Iron Man. Foreshadowing...?

focus4chumps
People haven't recovered from Sucker Punch yet, since it was his last film and it sucked shit covered balls.

and michael arndt did xmen last stand, yet everyone did a group fanboy squeel when he was added.

when man of steel comes out and wows everyone, the same people will be like "omg zack snyder pwns, brah"

Robtard
Originally posted by focus4chumps
and michael arndt did xmen last stand, yet everyone did a group fanboy squeel when he was added.

when man of steel comes out and wows everyone, the same people will be like "omg zack snyder pwns, brah"

Probably, yes.

roughrider

Michael Arndt did Toy Story 3; Simon Kinberg did X3. Whatever issues that film had were only because Fox was railroading the project through without pause, even though directors were coming and going.

Zack Snyder has directed five films to date; the first one (Dawn Of The Dead) was a remake, the following three were direct page to screen adaptions of graphic novels and children's illustrated books (300, Watchmen, Legend Of the Guardians), and when he did an original script of his own it proved to be his biggest failure to date (Sucker Punch.) So no, he hasn't earned my trust yet. We have only the trailer to show us he's being a good boy in the straightjacket Christopher Nolan fitted for him, and we will get a good modern take on Superman that will not be confused with 'Zack Snyder's Superman', instead.

focus4chumps
Originally posted by roughrider
direct page to screen adaptions

how is this different than the directorial process of following storyboards?

https://chzsetphaserstolol.wordpress.com/2011/12/05/sci-fi-fantasy-star-wars-never-before-seen-storyboards/

sucker punch only tells me that he is not good at building a film from the ground up. it says nothing against his directing abilities.

queeq

Snyder likes fancy shots, but he's not much of a storyteller.

300 - a lot of thse same stuff with a new look. But a new look does not a story or film make
Watchmen - certainly lost the plot of the comic books while being so focussed on getting all the shots look the same as in the comic.
Sucker Punch - Nuff said.

If Man of Steel becomes a story success, I'm afraid I'll have to credit Nolan. Snyder has shown as much subtlety in storytelling as Michael Bay: "as long as it goes boom..."

focus4chumps
so regardless of how he does on man of steel, you're still right and he sucks. convenient.

queeq
Well no... but I base my evaluation on all his work. And if he suddenly, after a bunch of poor movies makes a decent one, I try to understand what makes it different. And saying that Christopher Nolan's contribution (with an impressive CV of movies like Memento, Insomnia, The Prestige, Inception and the Dark Knight Trilogy) IS making it different is not a bad analysis, I;d say.

Snyder: a bunch of sucky movies
Nolan: a bunch of great movies.

So if it's lousy, one could certainly question Nolan's producer qualities but not his directing skills. One could certainly doubt Snyder's abilities by then. If it's good, I can still make a case that Nolan's idea for Man of Steel (for it was his) and his producing skills contribute to its success.

Balance: Nolan makes the difference.

focus4chumps
watchmen was not shitty.

so apparently jj abrams was offered the job, and he turned it down.

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-bits-j-j-abrams-turned-down-episode-vii-plus-disney-acquisition-is-official-ewan-mcgregor-samuel-l-jackson-and-more/

JediRobin23
watchmen was not shitty.

so apparently jj abrams was offered the job, and he turned it down.

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-bits-j-j-abrams-turned-down-episode-vii-plus-disney-acquisition-is-official-ewan-mcgregor-samuel-l-jackson-and-more/

The potential of having Samual L Jackson in the next movies was funny. Perhaps as a force ghost. Funny people did argue that Mace Windu didn't die in ROTS......

I hope he died cause he doesn't need to be in the next movies. Having Ewan Mcgregor as as force ghost Obiwan would be better

Jedi Sheriff
I like Kevin Smith, but he should not be doing anything Star Wars related, he'll fill it with stupid jokes about SW fans "Paying to watch rubbish SW movies", while the person delivering the line will look at the camera with an; Oh yes, we went there, look upon their face, he'll have himself and Jason Mewes in it as Jay and Silent Bob and a whole bunch of other reasons that only prove how up his own arse he's become.

Another annoying person who thinks they are unique because they've seen Star Wars is Edgar Wright, I'm surprised his name hasn't come up yet (Unless it has).

queeq
I don't think Wright should do it, he has a unique style that I doubt would fit SW. Almost makes me feel about the rumour that Cronenberg and Lynch were asked once to do ROTJ.

focus4chumps
like abrams, it seems del toro was approached by disney to direct and turned it down

http://www.slashfilm.com/guillermo-del-toro-was-approached-for-star-wars-episode-vii-but-was-too-busy-to-consider-directing/

Robtard
Two strikes with two solid directors. Ouch.

Sadako of Girth
I like Kevin Smith, but he should not be doing anything Star Wars related, he'll fill it with stupid jokes about SW fans "Paying to watch rubbish SW movies", while the person delivering the line will look at the camera with an; Oh yes, we went there, look upon their face, he'll have himself and Jason Mewes in it as Jay and Silent Bob and a whole bunch of other reasons that only prove how up his own arse he's become.

Except that if Smith were to direct, it would probably be a different matter than if he were scripting. (Scripting being the bit where they determine the words etc) so the jokes wouldn't be a factor.

This, and the guy's respect for the subject matter would also likely preclude him from including any SmithJerseyVerse shenanigans such as Jay and Silent Bob cameo sort of activities.

The Smith hatred flows through you... sad

-Pr-
Kevin Smith defended Attack of the Clones. YMMV.

darthmaul1
Peter Jackson, Christopher Nolan, Nicolas Meyer, John Mctiernan

Where is John Mctiernan these days anyway? he hasn't done anything since 2003

Lord Lucien
If Chris Nolan ever took on Star Wars, I hope they just go balls-to-the-walls with it. Dark, gritty, deep. It'd be a helluva departure from the standard SW formula, butt f*ck it... experiment.

Robtard
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
I hope they just go balls-to-the-walls with it. Dark, gritty, deep. It'd be a helluva departure

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/1516/esbv.jpg

Been there; done that. It was fantastic; best film of the series.

Lord Lucien
Wait... you're definition of dark and gritty is Empire? RotS was darker (not grittier).

Not better though. Which goes to show it needs to be done well. Nolan-style, baby.

Robtard
Hayden Christensen whining and blowing shot-bubbles while raging didn't do it for me.

I'd take a Paul Verhoeven over a Nolan in the next chapter of Star Wars myself.

dadudemon
Hayden Christensen whining and blowing shot-bubbles while raging didn't do it for me.

I'd take a Paul Verhoeven over a Nolan in the next chapter of Star Wars myself.

If his Star Trek efforts are anything to go by, then imagine the plotholes. no expression Also, if he directed a Star Wars film, it would be too crazy...he's a Star Trek dude...you don't cross streams.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by dadudemon
If his Star Trek efforts are anything to go by, then imagine the plotholes. no expression Also, if he directed a Star Wars film, it would be too crazy...he's a Star Trek dude...you don't cross streams. But imagine if they did! Think of the Nerdsurgence!

Kazenji
Uh what??

is that what i'm getting Paul Verhoeven did some Star Trek?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
But imagine if they did! Think of the Nerdsurgence!

It would be 10x worse than the PT outrage.

George Lucas would come out of "retirement" and say, "Miss me, bitches? That will teach you to spit out the cowck O'Lucas!"

Robtard
Originally posted by dadudemon
If his Star Trek efforts are anything to go by, then imagine the plotholes. no expression Also, if he directed a Star Wars film, it would be too crazy...he's a Star Trek dude...you don't cross streams.

You and your plot-holes. Ghostbusters ref? Ha.

dadudemon
You and your plot-holes. Ghostbusters ref? Ha.
I'm that old, now, I suppose. sad

queeq
Not that I know of.

Personally I don't think any of the major esthablished names should do it. They already have an established style. What Nolan did with Batman was totally reboot it. You can't reboot SW if you're making EP VII.

A younger director, with some experience might fit better. People along the lines of a Brad Bird doing MI4... I think that would do justice to both the franchise and the director.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.