Beta Ray Bill vs Hal Jordan

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

armedforbattle
No Prep or BFR.
Fight in the savage lands
In character.
They have no knowledge of each others ability.
Fight!

yaadaveyaa
the ring prevails in this one lantern prevails

abhilegend
Hal.

-Pr-
Hal

Dampyre
Bill

guy222
Bill

Blair Wind
Hal

JakeTheBank
Guy.

tkitna
Bill

Blair Wind
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Guy.

thumb up

Caps Conscience
Horseface

armedforbattle
4 bill
4 hal

Golgo13
Hal. DCnU Hal loses, though.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Golgo13
Hal. DCnU Hal loses, though.

How? They're the same guy.

Martian_mind
Bill.

Odekahn
Hal

WhiteWitchKing
Bill

Digi
The hammer's energy soak is a bane for GLs. Hal's collective feats are better, but it's a bad matchup for him. Bill 8/10.

Also, this, and variations of it, have been done dozens of times.

abhilegend
Originally posted by Digi
The hammer's energy soak is a bane for GLs. Hal's collective feats are better, but it's a bad matchup for him. Bill 8/10.

Also, this, and variations of it, have been done dozens of times.
Bill rarely uses aggressive energy absorption. It usually is limited to absorbing energy fired at him. Pound for pound hal outclasses him unless we're giving bill thor's feats.

Digi
Originally posted by abhilegend
Bill rarely uses aggressive energy absorption. It usually is limited to absorbing energy fired at him. Pound for pound hal outclasses him unless we're giving bill thor's feats.

It's not even that. Bill is fully aware of the hammer's energy absorption and has used it to great affect. I wouldn't dare claim he could duplicate some of Thor's more esoteric hammer applications, but this isn't really a stretch. It's like #2 of what the hammers do on a regular basis after "smackin' stuff." I think Hal would have a harder-than-average time hurting Bill because of this, even if Bill only uses the absorption defensively; thus the advantage.

DTM
Bill.

abhilegend
It's not even that. Bill is fully aware of the hammer's energy absorption and has used it to great affect. I wouldn't dare claim he could duplicate some of Thor's more esoteric hammer applications, but this isn't really a stretch. It's like #2 of what the hammers do on a regular basis after "smackin' stuff." I think Hal would have a harder-than-average time hurting Bill because of this, even if Bill only uses the absorption defensively; thus the advantage.
Not quite. Knowing something and using it effectively in character are two different things. Bill isn't going to absorb all of hal's attacks, that's simply not his style. That's why hal isn't simply restricted to energy blasts, his constructs are going to hurt bill.

pym-ftw
Bill for a small majority

carver9
Bill bust through his constructs and tap that a**.

abhilegend
Originally posted by carver9
Bill bust through his constructs and tap that a**.
laughing out loud

carver9
I'm throwing my hands up in the air because Carver speaks nothing but the truth.

I know.

-Pr-
Carver, for the love of god, learn what the words "tap that ass" actually mean.

abhilegend
I know. Originally posted by abhilegend
laughing out loud

Digi
Not quite. Knowing something and using it effectively in character are two different things. Bill isn't going to absorb all of hal's attacks, that's simply not his style. That's why hal isn't simply restricted to energy blasts, his constructs are going to hurt bill.

Again, he knows how to do it, has done it in the past, and we generally assume intelligent use of powers on the forums. I see no reason why a lot of Hal's blasts and/or constructs aren't getting absorbed and redirected. I don't doubt Hal can hurt Bill, and would since this is a good fight. But I see that being the deciding factor.

Nibedicus
Green Lantern attacks don't necessarily have to shoot in a straight line, once Hal realizes that his attacks seem to get vacuumed into some crazy golden hammer, he might try to attack Bill multidirectionally (ala Surfer sneaky board to the head). Not saying Hal wins (as he would need to figure this out BEFORE Bill figures out "Ooooh, ENERGY! Absorb with hammer, ridirect, throw hammer at guy's face=Hal taking a horse mallet to the face.), but that would be a possibility.

Lord Feron
Tough Fight for hal, slight edge to Bill.

abhilegend
Again, he knows how to do it, has done it in the past, and we generally assume intelligent use of powers on the forums. I see no reason why a lot of Hal's blasts and/or constructs aren't getting absorbed and redirected. I don't doubt Hal can hurt Bill, and would since this is a good fight. But I see that being the deciding factor.
We also take character traits into account aka CIS. That's not just how bill fights unless you can point me to a fight where bill aggressively goes and absorb every attack instead of just absorbing simple energy blast fired at him. The possibility of bill absorbing constructs is slim to none going by how johns has re-defined Oan energies.

Nibedicus
We also take character traits into account aka CIS. That's not just how bill fights unless you can point me to a fight where bill aggressively goes and absorb every attack instead of just absorbing simple energy blast fired at him. The possibility of bill absorbing constructs is slim to none going by how johns has re-defined Oan energies.

I don't think Bill's ever been attacked by anything energy-based other than energy blasts, tho. ;P

Unless you count Black Holes as absorbable or something.

He DID opt to not try and absorb Stardust, however. And Stardust IS an energy based life form....

abhilegend
Originally posted by Nibedicus
I don't think Bill's ever been attacked by anything energy-based other than energy blasts, tho. ;P

Unless you count Black Holes as absorbable or something.

He DID opt to not try and absorb Stardust, however. And Stardust IS an energy based life form....
Quasar's constructs IIRC and Lord Mar-vell's attacks.

Yeah, mjolnir/stormbreaker=insta win against pure energy based characters./sarcasm

Nibedicus
Quasar's constructs IIRC and Lord Mar-vell's attacks.

Yeah, mjolnir/stormbreaker=insta win against pure energy based characters./sarcasm

Yeah, I'm a bit skeptical myself about Thor's/BRB's auto-absorb abilities vs energy based characters. Defensively, yes, they do it all the time. But I've only ever seen Thor do it as a means of breaking defenses. And between Thor and BRB, Thor tends to be more subtle/exotic with the hammer. BRB just uses it more of a shield/thing to hit ppl with.

Has BRB ever done the defensive absorb + amplified redirection move that Thor does? I mean he coulda done it like 2-3 times vs the Surfer but he just opted to hit him with amped hammer strikes instead.

abhilegend
Originally posted by Nibedicus
Yeah, I'm a bit skeptical myself about Thor's/BRB's auto-absorb abilities vs energy based characters. Defensively, yes, they do it all the time. But I've only ever seen Thor do it as a means of breaking defenses. And between Thor and BRB, Thor tends to be more subtle/exotic with the hammer. BRB just uses it more of a shield/thing to hit ppl with.

Has BRB ever done the defensive absorb + amplified redirection move that Thor does? I mean he coulda done it like 2-3 times vs the Surfer but he just opted to hit him with amped hammer strikes instead.
Yeah, and when Thor "Dumb brute, using mjolnir to bang nails" Odinson gets more exotic than you, how more can you suck?

Not that I recall.

Lord Feron
Originally posted by -Pr-
Carver, for the love of god, learn what the words "tap that ass" actually mean.

lol

"Id"
Those magical mallets are excellent energy regulators. They have a well documented track record with energy discharge. Stormbreaker could neutralize Hal's Krona killing shot.

Yet that is not the only factor, and we do not have a solid point of reference for either.

The closest thing to Bill in the DCU is Orion. Where Quasar is marvels xerox copy of a lantern. A pair that hardly fight each other, making it difficult to extrapolate upon.

-Pr-
I really hope a Green Lantern fights an energy manipulator soon...

Digi

The underlying idea here is that it's a close fight anyway. I'm not saying this makes it a roflstomp, but Bill could simply brawl and have an ok chance at winning. In such a contest, even small advantages can be deciding factors. Can you name anything Hal could do to specifically exploit Bill? Even if it is just blasts and not constructs, that's something. Though I still think it could in fact be constructs as well, though I of course can't point to a specific incident because Bill hasn't fought anyone who produces GL-style constructs. The hammer's capacity to absorb different types of energy has few limits though, so I think it's certainly possible (though you're correct that it may not always be in character for BRB).

abhilegend
The underlying idea here is that it's a close fight anyway. I'm not saying this makes it a roflstomp, but Bill could simply brawl and have an ok chance at winning. In such a contest, even small advantages can be deciding factors. Can you name anything Hal could do to specifically exploit Bill? Even if it is just blasts and not constructs, that's something. Though I still think it could in fact be constructs as well, though I of course can't point to a specific incident because Bill hasn't fought anyone who produces GL-style constructs. The hammer's capacity to absorb different types of energy has few limits though, so I think it's certainly possible (though you're correct that it may not always be in character for BRB).
Nobody said its not a close fight. He can seperate bill from stormbreaker and spam him with constructs strong enough to ko The General.

Estacado
Come on not the crappy General feat in that case Hal>>>>Superman+Orion+J'onn.

PillarofOsiris
Hal

abhilegend
Originally posted by Estacado
That was a clone IIRC, not the original body. Mcduffie Superman/Wonder Woman oneshotted him.

Estacado
How did Eiling escape the phantom zone or where ever he was left at earlier?
The one that fought Orion ,Mm and Clark was the original since they mention bringing him back from space where he was left after his first appearance.

abhilegend
How did Eiling escape the phantom zone or where ever he was left at earlier?
The one that fought Orion ,Mm and Clark was the original since they mention bringing him back from space where he was left after his first appearance.
His mind was replaced in a duplicate body with much less regeneration in Suicide squad.

Blair Wind
Nobody said its not a close fight. He can seperate bill from stormbreaker and spam him with constructs strong enough to ko The General.

What feat are we talking about here? Scans?

Estacado
His mind was replaced in a duplicate body with much less regeneration in Suicide squad.
Oh that who he was watered down and threatened that blowing his brains will cause amnesia.

abhilegend
Originally posted by Blair Wind
What feat are we talking about here? Scans?
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/1/12306/1414017-shaggy_man_super.jpgOriginally posted by Estacado
Oh that who he was watered down and threatened that blowing his brains will cause amnesia.
Rick flagg actually did that.

Estacado
Stopped reading the series after tey mentioned that blowing his head will do him serious damage....ermm

Digi
Heh. I've seen GLs do things that would put planets in jeopardy. That's the feat we're using as BRB-busting?

BattleMage
Make no mistake about it, BRB out classes Hal Jordan.
Mjölnir/Storm Breaker > Any Lantern Ring!

abhilegend
Heh. I've seen GLs do things that would put planets in jeopardy. That's the feat we're using as BRB-busting?
Planet busting isn't better than oneshotting an elite brick. No name GLs have busted planets even after Johns.

abhilegend
Originally posted by BattleMage
Larfleeze would disagree.

Digi
Planet busting isn't better than oneshotting an elite brick.

If you say so. That feat didn't seem particularly awesome to me. If anything, a low showing for Eiling, who has obviously taken tons more punishment in the past.

abhilegend
If you say so. That feat didn't seem particularly awesome to me. If anything, a low showing for Eiling, who has obviously taken tons more punishment in the past.
Yep
A no name GL owns a planet

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/th_ekronplanetbusting.jpg
Can be viewed either way.

"Id"

Not if its Kyle's old, and New Ring.

Golgo13

laughing out loud

ODG
Done before. Should be merged:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=350730&highlight=title%3A%28bill+jordan%29
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=479806&highlight=title%3A%28bill+lantern%29

And Bill still wins.

Philosophía
Again, he knows how to do it, has done it in the past, and we generally assume intelligent use of powers on the forums. I see no reason why a lot of Hal's blasts and/or constructs aren't getting absorbed and redirected. I don't doubt Hal can hurt Bill, and would since this is a good fight. But I see that being the deciding factor. If we're going for smart, what's stopping Hal from separating Bill from his hammer, and then trapping his entire neck-down body in a construct ? In the time it will take Bill to escape, Hal could just blast his defenseless head into unsconsciousness. Or get creative.

Odekahn

Digi

carver9
@Digi..

Why do you think Hal is more powerful? I'm not seeing it.

Golgo13
Hal was pretty good at defeating foes on the fly. I could definitely see it.

Digi
@Digi..

Why do you think Hal is more powerful? I'm not seeing it.

Classic Hal had all sorts of versatility feats. He rivaled old-school Thor/Mjolnir in terms of esoteric uses of his weapon. And power feats to go with the best HH's. Bill is close, but hasn't displayed the range with his hammer that Thor has. So he's basically limited to brawling and energy absorption/redirection. Hal's best feats trump Bill's, check out the respect forum if you're more interested in seeing it, but I see the absorption part as being tough for Hal to handle.

-Pr-
Please Carver, don't pretend you've actually read Green Lantern.

Philosophía
Hal's not without ways to win this. He wouldn't keep Bill separate from his hammer though, and Bill wouldn't simply sit there and take punishment.

srug I never said Bill would sit there and take the punishment, or that he'd be separated from his hammer indefinitely. But escaping constructs that have withstood planetary forces takes time on occasions, and Bill also doesn't have any leverage. Time in which Hal might aswel masturbate on his face, right before splitting his head in 2.

Bill can be be more easily separated from his hammer than Hal can be from his ring. At that point, Hal's options are nigh-infinite, with complete imobilization and then savage beating being the easier ones.

armedforbattle

carver9
Classic Hal had all sorts of versatility feats. He rivaled old-school Thor/Mjolnir in terms of esoteric uses of his weapon. And power feats to go with the best HH's. Bill is close, but hasn't displayed the range with his hammer that Thor has. So he's basically limited to brawling and energy absorption/redirection. Hal's best feats trump Bill's, check out the respect forum if you're more interested in seeing it, but I see the absorption part as being tough for Hal to handle.

Bill does use range attacks though. Look at his fight against ego or Amped Wrecking crew or Galactus. He's used it enough for it to be a deciding factor in this match.

@Pr..

The GLs are boring but I know enough about them to know Bill would wreck them in a fight.

Golgo13
The GL's are simply more versatile. Check out the Battle Zone with Desaad and the other poster, Green Lantern vs Silver Surfer, who is more versatile.

carver9
The GL's are simply more versatile. Check out the Battle Zone with Desaad and the other poster, Green Lantern vs Silver Surfer, who is more versatile.

This isn't a CISless battle. Look at the way Hal fight and then look at the way Bill fights. Pretty obvious who'll get the majority.

Golgo13
This isn't a CISless battle. Look at the way Hal fight and then look at the way Bill fights. Pretty obvious who'll get the majority.

Hal is great in battle and on the fly moves, I think he'll take him. Hal used to be a lot more versatile than he is now.

h1a8

Hal often fights very smart and very creative. He never stops surprising you.
Saying Bill will wreck Hal shows ignorance of Hal completely when characters fight at their best as shown before. You think Hal would just sit there and shoot blasts at Bill and do nothing creative? Hal has trapped people and things in constructs, slowed time, created all types of shit that ucked people up, etc. Plus Hal got some strong ass shields of planetary strength.

How do you think the fight would go? Give us a typical scenario.

Estacado
Originally posted by -Pr-
Please Carver, don't pretend you've actually read Green Lantern.
He did see the movie though...mmm

carver9
laughing out loud

Blair Wind
The GLs are boring but I know enough about them to know Bill would wreck them in a fight.

no expression. Shut up.

guy222
bad matchup for hal

bill is gonna win

-Pr-
Bill does use range attacks though. Look at his fight against ego or Amped Wrecking crew or Galactus. He's used it enough for it to be a deciding factor in this match.

@Pr..

Stop lying.

Digi

JakeTheBank
The time that Bill would be separated from Stormbreaker is entirely dependent on how much he wills his hammer to return to his grasp.

Philosophía
I'm not even sure Hal could separate BRB from the hammer at ALL if Bill uses it intelligently. And why would that be, exactly? You think Bill's grip on his hammer overcomes whatever Hal could bring to the table including, I don't know, an army of constructs attacking him from all sides, hitting him in the neck/face/balls etc. while Hal pressures the grip on the hammer?

Blair Wind
IMO, it's not really grip strength that is keeping it there. He can mentally summon it, so it's not like taking a gun out of someone's hand - in this case, Bill can still use the "gun" even if Hal does part him from it.

Philosophía
Originally posted by Blair Wind
IMO, it's not really grip strength that is keeping it there. He can mentally summon it, so it's not like taking a gun out of someone's hand - in this case, Bill can still use the "gun" even if Hal does part him from it. I agree. But Hal could send the hammer away to wherever he wants (say, another dimension) and then just imobilize Beta Ray Bill completly in construct. Basically, kind of like Firestorm did here, with Orion:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u43/Galan007/fs124.jpg

Could Bill eventually get free? Sure. Will the hammer eventually get back? Sure, let's say yes. Will all of that take time? Undoubtedly. This turns into 'Hal, while fighting smart, has enough time to to whatever he wants to Bill's unprotected head'. And that won't be a very good time for Bill.

Will Hal do this everytime? Of course not. But when he will, this will be a tactic to bring him the win.

psycho gundam
hulk would bust out of there and eat that titanium block

Philosophía
Originally posted by psycho gundam
hulk would bust out of there and eat that titanium block Low showing for Orion , definitely, but the point still stands.

If I remember right, that issue was written by McDuffie, who flat-out said in an interview that the editors told him to bring him someone to show off Firestorm, and he said "why not Orion?". Basically, Orion was there soley to job.

psycho gundam
shitty showing more like it

ODG

Digi
Originally posted by ODG
While I am hard-pressed to bring up an example of Stormbreaker doing so, Mjolnir has come back from dimensional BFRing. And even assuming the inevitable "feats shouldn't be shared" argument (although GL rings get a pass on that for some retarded reason), I honestly can't remember the last time Hal dimensionally BFRed anything, let alone a high-level weapon like Stormbreaker.

I'd be interested in seeing scans or examples. If you have any, that is.

^ All of this. While feat transfer isn't 1-to-1 with Thor, it's reasonable to assume his ability to summon it back to him follows the same rules (since Odin enchanted both to be identical). Dimensional BFR shouldn't work.

Beyond that, Bill would be flying, attacking, absorbing and redirecting. I still think Phil's model of the fight exists in a bubble...one that lowballs Bill quite a bit.

Igniz

Golgo13
If Johns Hal was smart, he'd just turn Bill into energy or mind control him. Or turn intangible and laugh at Bill's attacks.

ODG
If Johns Hal was smart, he'd just turn Bill into energy or mind control him. Or turn intangible and laugh at Bill's attacks. http://images.mmorpg.com/images/galleries/formatted/472011/682c715a-8445-4acd-acb6-08798400464a.jpg

Igniz
Originally posted by ODG
http://images.mmorpg.com/images/galleries/formatted/472011/682c715a-8445-4acd-acb6-08798400464a.jpg

laughing out loud thumb up

Golgo13
What? Hal has used those types of attacks before.

ODG
What? Hal has used those types of attacks before. http://www.glamrap.pl/images/stories/f5/nigga-4585.jpg

Golgo13
laughing out loud Yes, I'm serious.

h1a8
Also Hal can knock Bill, causing him to drop the hammer. This has happen multiple times (with him and Thor). Also I see Bill having a hard time defending against general giant constructs. I see Hal swatting him like a ping pong fly.

And what about Hal slowing time down where Bill is almost a statue? No one has thought of that.

-Pr-
Originally posted by ODG
While I am hard-pressed to bring up an example of Stormbreaker doing so, Mjolnir has come back from dimensional BFRing. And even assuming the inevitable "feats shouldn't be shared" argument (although GL rings get a pass on that for some retarded reason), I honestly can't remember the last time Hal dimensionally BFRed anything, let alone a high-level weapon like Stormbreaker.

I'd be interested in seeing scans or examples. If you have any, that is.

GL's don't get a blanket pass. They get a kind of pass that isn't universal, and isn't nearly the same thing.

Branlor Swift
Bill knocks Hal's ring off... by biting his finger off.

JakeTheBank
What? Hal has used those types of attacks before.

Pre-Crisis or Post Crisis?

Has he done anything like that since Rebirth?

Golgo13
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Pre-Crisis or Post Crisis?

Has he done anything like that since Rebirth?

That's why I joked and said, "If Johns Hal was smart". And, yes, PC.

Philosophía
Originally posted by ODG

I'd be interested in seeing scans or examples. If you have any, that is. Green Lanterns use dimensional BFRs all the time with another high-powered object - their own batteries.

http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt19/Max_Eisenhardt/pocketdimension.jpg

Assuming Hal is fighting smart, thinking 'that hammer seems to be his main asset, better take it away' and doing this isn't far reached, at all.

In the post-DCnU the place where the batteries get sent has been retconned to, well, just the edge of the Universe (lol), but I assume that we're talking about pre-DCnU here.

http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt19/Max_Eisenhardt/random%20scans/GLCv305009-010.jpg

Either way, Hal being able to send the hammer far away is indisputable.

TheGodKiller

ODG

Blair Wind
Originally posted by ODG
Also, Hal completely declining to use this battery pocket dimension (to the amusing frustration of Sinestro) doesn't exactly tend towards Hal dimensionally BFRing Stormbreaker in a fight. I trust you'd agree with me on that, at least.

Not that I'm agreeing with you or Philo, but that is Hal as a rookie straight out of training. He knows about it now, in that instant he didn't.

ODG
^ But historically beyond that point, Hal does keep his battery in his locker... or his apartment. I mean, we are talking about the guy who never wears his ring when flying planes.

Philosophía
Originally posted by ODG
We're supposed to be talking current Hal, but who cares.

Given that, your example strikes me as being the equivalent of Captain Mar-Vell's BFRing of Rick Jones every time he strikes his Nega Bands. I mean... yes, he is dimensionally BFRing him (every single time, in fact) but that doesn't exactly tend to prove that Captain Mar-Vell would dimensionally BFR Stormbreaker in a fight. And that dude's got Cosmic Awareness.

Also, Hal completely declining to use this battery pocket dimension (to the amusing frustration of Sinestro) doesn't exactly tend towards Hal dimensionally BFRing Stormbreaker in a fight. I trust you'd agree with me on that, at least. I tend to agree that in a 'comic' fight this would rarely happen , but fighting smart I'd think getting rid of Bill's weapon by doing something that is basic for a Green Lantern would be a blatant option.

But then again, in an actual comic, Bill wouldn't start absorbing constructs and Hal wouldn't be pulling planetary-pressure resistant restraints, it was just hypotetical 'smart fighting'.

Villelater
wait...isn't Beta ray bills hammer yellow? and he's a better fighter than Thor?

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by Villelater
wait...isn't Beta ray bills hammer yellow? and he's a better fighter than Thor?

This.

Kappa Ray Kevin ftw.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.