Star Trek Into Darkness

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

marwash22
IMDB plot synopsis
After the crew of the Enterprise find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction.

Starring: Chris Pine, Benedict Cumberbatch, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, Zachary Quinto, Simon Pegg, Anton Yelchin, John Cho & Alice Eve.

diP-o_JxysA

steverules_2
Love it when the enterprise crashes into something, dunno why I just find it always to be rather epic and awesome...now it's crashing into the ocean

ares834
Wow. That looks amazing.

And Cumberbatch sounds so damn intimidating! Never knew he had it in him.

Sadako of Girth
00:17 and 00:40 - Has to be Elizabeth Dehner.

rudester
I wasn't really impressed with the first movie. Why would I be impressed with this one? The first movie remastered was all about kirk and spock coming together but I found it so hollywoodized! It would have been a better film if it was more raw. I would have loved to see long camera shots of the universe but movies today dont exactly stop to gaze at the universe.

Jedi Sheriff
Dunno why everyone is excited about Cumberbatch playing the villain, they barely used Eric Bana in the first one, they'll probably give him about 15 mins screen time in total.

Sadako of Girth
Then it will be an awesome 15 mins. stick out tongue Cumberbatch is a beast in Sherlock.

They did shoot a bit more of Bana than used.

Bana's Nero was not as developed a character as Gary Mitchell, Garth of Izar or Khan.

Also the 1st movies (the 2009 one, and the 1979 motion picture, 'Generations' too, I guess) were about establishing the crew and their relationships/surroundings as anything else.

Then after that was done we got the adversaries and more interesting situations/villians after that.

ST TMP (1979) -> The Wrath of Khan

ST Generations: -> First Contact

ST (2009): -> Spectacular GarymitchellKhanGarthofIzar action

Also: Different cut of the trailer, for your fapping pleasure:
http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/scifi/japanese-star-trek-darkness-trailer-confirms-movies-villain-worst-fears.html

Jedi Sheriff
I like the Cumberbatch too, I just hope they don't under-use him like they did with Bana.

Robtard
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
00:17 and 00:40 - Has to be Elizabeth Dehner.

Ha, if it turns out to be Dehner of the alternate time-lime, good ****ing call.

What's funny, Cumberbatch is still listed as "Khan (Rumored)" on IMDB.com.

Sadako of Girth
Cheers. smile I guess we'll have to wait and see..

Yeah that extended Japanese trailer caused more discussion, with that TWOK-a-like engineering scene being alluded to.
Yeah glad you mentioned the "rumoured".
I see that Alice Eve's character is at this time unnamed too.
(Probably cause it'd give it away en masse)

BruceSkywalker
I am stoked for this... Cumberbatch seems certainly fine after listening to him in the trailer..

Sadako of Girth
Yeah hes a force to be reckoned with. One of our best.
He'll be awesome.

BruceSkywalker
Yeah hes a force to be reckoned with. One of our best.
He'll be awesome.

is Cumberbatch really good as Sherlock?

Sadako of Girth
Hes excellent. A bit different to previous versions, but given the more contemporary theme/setting of the series, he nails it.
Very good at the cold/alien type aspect of the character, but able to nail all aspects and dynamics. Totally believable. I highly recommend the series.

YcFHeTaS9ew

i-cf6GqQPFo

MSNzB4z81-U

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by steverules_2
Love it when the enterprise crashes into something, dunno why I just find it always to be rather epic and awesome...now it's crashing into the ocean

I thoughts exactly!
I always liked the notion that the Enterprise had a "character" of its own like the Millenium Flacon & not just simply a "space ship."

To see the Enterprise severely damaged, crashing or destroyed was always a sad moment on screen.

Sadako of Girth
I agree, Esau. I wanna see saucer seperation. It never happened in the original series yet did in the comics of the time at least once.
And looking at the plating patterns on the current movie Enterprise around the area where we see Enterprise D do it's thing, you can see differences like there are two distinct parts/patterns.
The battle bridge section would have an arrow like shape to it, if so.

And the guys doing these do seem to be great "I never saw this/those things happen, lets do it this time round" fans.
(Enterprise in atmosphere, Enterprise being built whilst touched down on Earth, now seeing it nosedive into water)

I know the last movie got some stick for Lens flare stylistics and the Star Wars formula being used a bit, but I really rate it and can't wait to see what else this creative crew can do with these movies. smile

Esau Cairn

I know the last movie got some stick for Lens flare stylistics and the Star Wars formula being used a bit, but I really rate it and can't wait to see what else this creative crew can do with these movies. smile

Every director has a fav effect they like to use & I have no issues with
J.J's lens flares....Whedon used it too on FireFly adding a distinct style to his action sequences.

As for the Enterprise, I always liked the imagery (from previous Star Trek movies) of having the ship built & docked in space. I was skeptical when J.J. decided the ship would be built on Earth...I always thought the "neck" & the warp nacelles looked too delicate to support the weight in natural gravity.

BruceSkywalker
Hes excellent. A bit different to previous versions, but given the more contemporary theme/setting of the series, he nails it.
Very good at the cold/alien type aspect of the character, but able to nail all aspects and dynamics. Totally believable. I highly recommend the series.

YcFHeTaS9ew

i-cf6GqQPFo

MSNzB4z81-U

thanks, I'll look for the show over here

Sadako of Girth
You're most welcome, Bruce.
smile

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Every director has a fav effect they like to use & I have no issues with
J.J's lens flares....Whedon used it too on FireFly adding a distinct style to his action sequences.

As for the Enterprise, I always liked the imagery (from previous Star Trek movies) of having the ship built & docked in space. I was skeptical when J.J. decided the ship would be built on Earth...I always thought the "neck" & the warp nacelles looked too delicate to support the weight in natural gravity.

Yeah and the artificial flare on digital effects to maintain continuity with the live shots worked well.
Die Hard is another Flaretastic movie that works too.

The revisions to the Enterprise have largely gone the right way, I think. The neck has been beefed up and supported further by the Torpedo launcher bay housing, and on this latest revision, at least the pylons holding the Nacelles up are angled better, curved and with assuming that the heavy stuff is in front of the nacelle at least suspension of disbelief is a little easier. This splashdown goes a little further in the "How does that not break the neck" stakes than I had expected it too though, by the looks of it.

http://www.coldnorth.com/owen/game/miscellaney/comparisons/2009enterprise.jpg

Esau Cairn
I read a Star Trek novel once, although sci-fi for me is more visual than literature.

It just amazed me the description of the amount of levels & departments inside the Enterprise & how the majority of the crew never saw outside the ship for the sheer lack of portholes....obviously like a submarine. It's just the description of the daily routine of most of the crew made it seem really depressing to be on the Enterprise...if you weren't part of the command crew or had access to the saucer section.

steverules_2
I thoughts exactly!
I always liked the notion that the Enterprise had a "character" of its own like the Millenium Flacon & not just simply a "space ship."

To see the Enterprise severely damaged, crashing or destroyed was always a sad moment on screen.

When the enterprise was destoryed in the original series movie I was like 'NOOOOOOOOO!!!' The ship always seems invincible but it can be destroyed and the movie showed that, then the enterprise D got destroyed

Mindset
The first one is one of my favorite movies to watch, hopefully this will be just as good or better.

rudester
Originally posted by Mindset
The first one is one of my favorite movies to watch, hopefully this will be just as good or better.

fool

Mindset
Originally posted by rudester
fool Suck me, beautiful.

Kazenji
He just might.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by marwash22
diP-o_JxysA

Oh wow... looks potentially better than the first. I liked the first one, but it didn't get better with repeated viewings to me.

-Pr-
I'm hoping this actually feels like a Star Trek movie at some point.

Dolos
I wasn't really impressed with the first movie. Why would I be impressed with this one? The first movie remastered was all about kirk and spock coming together but I found it so hollywoodized! It would have been a better film if it was more raw. I would have loved to see long camera shots of the universe but movies today dont exactly stop to gaze at the universe.

giWyWtk4CYk

rudester
Originally posted by Dolos
giWyWtk4CYk

do u wanna get cut?

marwash22
I see that Alice Eve's character is at this time unnamed too.
She is Carol Marcus

some people are not buying it.

Dolos
do u wanna get cut?

I already am cut.

Wanna see my abs?

-Pr-
She is Carol Marcus

So she's carol marcus and cumberbatch is khan, or she's dehner and he's mitchell.

Eh, either way.

Sadako of Girth
Hmmmmmmm Apparently the main villain is called 'John Harrison' according to Lindehof, whether or not that is a wind up.

BruceSkywalker
She is Carol Marcus

if she is, she'll die early on..

Hmmmmmmm Apparently the main villain is called 'John Harrison' according to Lindehof, whether or not that is a wind up.

prolly just a cover so we all can go see it and won't be surprised when its revealed that Cumberbatch is Khan

Sadako of Girth
Or Gary Mitchell... stick out tongue

BruceSkywalker
Or Gary Mitchell... stick out tongue

yea he could be or maybe he is playing a superhumanly powered Sherlock Holmes character big grin

Dolos
He's Gary Mitchell.

BruceSkywalker
He's Gary Mitchell.

how do you know for sure?? he could be khan.. he could be Kirk's son from another alternate timeline... he could be a gorn in disguise,, he could related to worf or riker

Dolos
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
how do you know for sure?? he could be khan.. he could be Kirk's son from another alternate timeline... he could be a gorn in disguise,, he could related to worf or riker

It's either Kahn or Gary Mitchell. After watching the trailer I'm leaning towards Kahn.

-kV-
Seriously, that trailer reminded me of Prometheus's, and of course has to have the Inception-like horns that must be used to make every movie epic.

And the villain is a terrorist named John Harrison. Cumberbatch revealed it.

BruceSkywalker
saw the 9 minutes prior to the Hobbit.. I am certainly looking forward to this.. JJ done something right . also once more JJ pays homage to the original..

It's either Kahn or Gary Mitchell. After watching the trailer I'm leaning towards Kahn.

Cumberbatch after seeing the 9 minutes is Khan.. I have no proof until next May, but its what I believe

Robtard
I'm still sticking with it not being Khan, but him being part of or somehow connected to the Eugenics Experiments that created Khan and the Augments. There's pics of Cumberbatch putting a gorilla grip on Spock; normal humans can't do that.

Which would both be an original villain and pay homage to the greatest ST film.

Hmmmmm, indeed. If I happen to be correct, it's just not going to sound right if Kirk yells "Harrison-nnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!"

Kazenji
I read somewhere Cumberbatch is insisting he's not Khan that or he's just trying his best to deny it because JJ has told him so

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Benedict-Cumberbatch-Insists-He-Khan-Star-Trek-Darkness-34579.html

Sadako of Girth
http://uk.ign.com/videos/2012/12/14/benedict-cumberbatch-talks-john-harrison

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Robtard
I'm still sticking with it not being Khan, but him being part of or somehow connected to the Eugenics Experiments that created Khan and the Augments. There's pics of Cumberbatch putting a gorilla grip on Spock; normal humans can't do that.

Which would both be an original villain and pay homage to the greatest ST film.

if it isn't khan i'll be royally pissed laughing out loud but hopefully he'll be good

Originally posted by Kazenji
I read somewhere Cumberbatch is insisting he's not Khan that or he's just trying his best to deny it because JJ has told him so

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Benedict-Cumberbatch-Insists-He-Khan-Star-Trek-Darkness-34579.html

its just cumberbatch and jj being coy which is understandable.. as they want people to speculate up until may 17 next year

Kazenji
Prequel comic offers a look at the Klingons

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=72841

Sadako of Girth
Looks like they did in the Nero/Rura Pente scenes they filmed for Star Trek X. (The deleted scenes are on the bluray.)

Resembles how I imagine Worf would look like if he was dressed in Uruk Hai armour..

Kazenji
So after all that nonsense about Benedict not being Khaan

he is Khaan

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=73917

Dolos
I haven't watched any previews or nothing.

I am keeping the whole thing a total surprise!!!

Chrislove22
I'm not even a Trekkie, but I thought the first "new" one was amazing. Can't wait for Darkness.

BruceSkywalker
So after all that nonsense about Benedict not being Khaan

he is Khaan

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=73917

this better turn out true otherwise they'll be hell to pay laughing out loud stick out tongue

Sadako of Girth
Yes! Hell...!

man

Robtard
Ha, nice.

Wonder if they're going to have similar events as Space Seed or if they'll take the finding of sleeping Kahn aboard the Botany Bay in an entirely different direction.

Posted this back in Sept of 2010, while Bardem still would physically match Khan better, what I've seen on Cumberbatch so far is very promising.

The events of the alternate time-line wouldn't change Khan's situation, he's still be floating asleep in space on the SS Botany Bay.

I wouldn't mind if they used Khan again, except I'd like the story to change, ie not have Kirk and crew be the ones to find him. Maybe have it be the Klingons, as they have a history with the Augments already and the Augment-virus would be affecting the Klingons in Kirk's time, so the Empire searching for Khan could be feasible. I'm sure a different and still decent story could be made with Khan in it, I'm no writer though.

Said it before, Javier Bardem has great Khan potential. Guy can be charming, sauve and threatening.

Dolos
Awesome anyone know the release date?

rudester
I haven't watched any previews or nothing.

I am keeping the whole thing a total surprise!!!

smart idea but what if its a flop...

Darth Martin
Should still be May 17.

Sadako of Girth
AKA 'Fap day'

Robtard
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_melresltWk1qimft8o1_r1_500.gif

Sadako of Girth
Yep.

Patient_Leech
I'm fairly excited about this. I hope to fap. I just hope there's no time travel shit in it this time.

Robtard
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I just hope there's no time travel shit in it this time.

There's a 99.999999999% chance there won't be.

Darth Martin
AKA 'Fap day'

http://i.imgur.com/QykAA.jpg

My body is ready.

Ushgarak
Alice Eve at the BAFTAs flatly denied Cumberbatch was playing Khan. Mind you, he himself had already done that in December.

Robtard
Several people have now denied it. Simon Pegg went as far as telling people to **** off in regards to the Khan issue.

simonsmi
thanx............................smile

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by Darth Martin
http://i.imgur.com/QykAA.jpg

My body is ready.

lol

Impediment
So the bad guy isn't Khan?

KingD19
It seems to be Gary Mitchell. Kirk's friend and a Lt. Commander who pretty much becomes a psuedo-god after directly coming into contact with energies from a galactic barrier.

Matter Manip, Energy Manip, Super Strength/Durability/Speed, TK, and like 50 other powers.

Karl Urban said that's who it is, and that's who it seems to be as he's shown some crazy stuff in the trailers like jumping 40+ feet with an I-Beam and swinging it like a staff. And he said he could cure that little girl in the IMAX trailer.

Robtard
Which trailer does he do the jump?

Also, Khan could so do that. It's Khannnnnnnnn!

KingD19
yhz4A5BCMAA

It's around 1:10 where it starts. He seems to jump from a great distance, make a phaser bolt or two ricochet while shooting back, and then uses whatever that big thing is in his hand to crack his legs. Not an I-Beam upon closer inspection, but it still looks huge.

And while I agree Kahn could probably cure the girl given how smart he is, he's supposed to be what, 5x a human? Vulcan's and Romulans are only 3x and I doubt Spock could pull that off. And Nero didn't look as impressive as "John Harrison", which is Cumberbatch's character's name that we know so far.

Robtard
Everything I saw wouldn't be beyond Khan's augmented body per se, especially if Abram's took some liberties in making him more uber in his vision. I'm actually happy I don't know it's Khan for sure, adds some excitement.

Khan is at x5 human strength. The Augments Dr. Arik Soong (great-grandfather to Data's creator) messed with in Star Trek: Enterprise were higher, iirc.

I also didn't see the I-Beam swing scene, but it's possible I was utterly distracted by this:

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/2047/trekness.png

KingD19
Yeah...her. Hot.

And you're right about it potentially being Kahn. I'd like Gary though as he was much more of a threat, and the only hint at it being either of them aside from speculation is Karl Urban saying it's Gary.

Robtard
Karl Urban likes to **** with people though. It's just what he does.

KingD19
He's good at it. Bones, Vaako, and Judge Dredd should team up.

Kazenji
First look at Klingons

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2013/05/01/star-trek-into-darkness-gives-first-look-at-unmasked-klingons/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

why did they have to redesign them??

jaden101
Stephen Fry liked it. And remember. 'thou shalt not question Stephen Fry'.

THere's also a Tribble in it. Which is awesome.

Robtard
First look at Klingons

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2013/05/01/star-trek-into-darkness-gives-first-look-at-unmasked-klingons/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

why did they have to redesign them??

Not all that much of a redesign. Unless the entire race is bald?

General Chang (STVI: The Undiscovered Country) was bald too.

Major_Lexington
from that link the Klingons are not very different, I guess its more of an update.

quanchi112
Could be good.

Supra
Does the villian has superpowers, he seems to be very strong, jumping very high and moves very quick.

Kazenji
I doubt it will be superpowers.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Supra
Does the villian has superpowers, he seems to be very strong, jumping very high and moves very quick.

thats unknown at this point but it is fun to speculate

quanchi112
Just happy to see the Star Trek series finally become exciting. Pre reboot I couldn't stand this series.

Kazenji
Originally posted by quanchi112
Just happy to see the Star Trek series finally become exciting. Pre reboot I couldn't stand this series.

erm

quanchi112
erm It's my opinion don't let it destroy your world.

Kazenji
And your one to talk acting like your the center of the worlds attention.

Kazenji
So yeah..i went and seen this one today

8/10

and yes Benedict Cumberbatch is Khan

Klingon's are in it of course, Kirk & gang go there to get Khan who's hiding out on there

marwash22
Pretty obvious what's under that spoiler. lmao

quanchi112
And your one to talk acting like your the center of the worlds attention. You are so cranky in your hut anymore.

Robtard
So yeah..i went and seen this one today

8/10

Klingon's are in it of course, Kirk & gang go there to get Khan who's hiding out on there

I had hoped for something similar back when the sequel was announced. So I am pleased.

I'll probably be there opening night.

Esau Cairn
A thoroughly good ride for a sequel.
The action is well paced...some dialogue between characters seemed "forced & formulated".
Every time Kirk does something wrong, you can expect a logical debate from Spock followed by a "Are you crazy-speech?" from Bones before the action kicks in again.
Cumberbatch shines as both actor & "villain".
And for some reason, Simon Pegg looks unhealthy & anorexic & his appearances feel more cameo than part of the crew.

Robtard
You lot of criminals got it out already? WTF, why does Hollywood hate America. OH yeah liberals.

Mindset
Goddamn commies.

BruceSkywalker
The action is well paced...some dialogue between characters seemed "forced & formulated".
Every time Kirk does something wrong, you can expect a logical debate from Spock followed by a "Are you crazy-speech?" from Bones before the action kicks in again.
And for some reason, Simon Pegg looks unhealthy & anorexic & his appearances feel more cameo than part of the crew.

where the damn spoilers??? laughing laughing laughing

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
where the damn spoilers??? laughing laughing laughing

Oh c'mon!

I could've been talking about any Star Trek movie or episode.

I will admit that there are some scenes that are very reminiscent to previous ST stories so whether you're a Trekkie or not, these scenes will be considered as either a tribute or a rip-off.

I didn't give anything away...just made observations.

Kazenji
You are so cranky in your hut anymore.

Huh??

is someone talking

all i seemed to hear the noises from some crickets.

Robtard

That's great they've worked in the Kirk-Spock-Bones dynamic the fans know so well.

BruceSkywalker
Oh c'mon!

I could've been talking about any Star Trek movie or episode.

I will admit that there are some scenes that are very reminiscent to previous ST stories so whether you're a Trekkie or not, these scenes will be considered as either a tribute or a rip-off.

I didn't give anything away...just made observations.

i will be seeing this next saturday..

Esau Cairn
That's great they've worked in the Kirk-Spock-Bones dynamic the fans know so well.

The dynamic works for fans but there were those in the cinema who groaned every time they felt another diatribe coming.

Like I said, it felt "forced" at times.

DARTH POWER
Great film.

Didn't like how Khan sounded more like a Vulcan and was missing the charm he's always had. And was a bit worried at one point that the next film would be called "The Search for Kirk!"

But overall it all turned out good.

ares834

Sweet. Looking forward to it.

Kazenji
Seeing Older Spock show up in it again was random

DARTH POWER
Seeing Older Spock show up in it again was random

It was, but they had to make young Spock outsmarting Khan believable. Which was only due to Older Spocks warning, so young Spock was already prepared for Khan's betrayal before it happened.

On that note Shatner will be pissed that he's still not got to make an appearance Lol.

the ninjak
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
It was, but they had to make young Spock outsmarting Khan believable. Which was only due to Older Spocks warning, so young Spock was already prepared for Khan's betrayal before it happened.

On that note Shatner will be pissed that he's still not got to make an appearance Lol.

Kirk died in Star Trek Generations

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by the ninjak
Kirk died in Star Trek Generations

I know but Shatner was still pissed off he never had an appearance in the Star Trek reboot, whilst Nimoy did.

Sadako of Girth
Saw it today. Different from how I expected it.
I agree with the 8/10 thing.

the ninjak
I know but Shatner was still pissed off he never had an appearance in the Star Trek reboot, whilst Nimoy did.

Then he has no knowledge of the canon.

Kirk died in Generations. And although resurrected to simply allow a relationship between himself and Picard, should not be allowed to be a factor in this modern version of the series.

His character had his day in the Sun. And it was an awesome film. Leave it there.

It's like when Adam West was angry that he wasn't a part of Tim Burton's Batman franchise.

DARTH POWER
Then he has no knowledge of the canon.

Kirk died in Generations. And although resurrected to simply allow a relationship between himself and Picard, should not be allowed to be a factor in this modern version of the series.

His character had his day in the Sun. And it was an awesome film. Leave it there.

It's like when Adam West was angry that he wasn't a part of Tim Burton's Batman franchise.

Oh yeah I agree, it would be crazy for him to be coming back from the future as well. He obviously knows he died in Generations, but claims there's always ways to bring him back.

In all fairness though if they really wanted to include him, it's not that hard. It could just be a memory of Spock. Maybe they could have fit it in during his mindmeld with Young Kirk.

And then there's the fact that it's a completely different continuity now. So Old Kirk could come back from a different future now. But that would be a kind of huge story to somehow fit in.

quanchi112
I love how the reboot series is more popular to distance themselves from the original series which avoided action. The whole reason I like it was because it abandoned the original lackluster series.

I am right once again.

---
The fact that Into Darkness was also released in higher ticket-priced 3D certainly helped its performance, but there was a larger decision at play both creatively and marketing-wise to divorce Into Darkness from past Trek movies----

----"I guess less Trekkie, more action might be the short story,” Paramount’s head of international distribution Anthony Marcoly told TheWrap. “But since I arrived here 18 months ago, a primary part of my mission has been to make sure this movie succeeds at the overseas box office the way it will domestically, and our team has done a great deal to make sure that happens. ... Basically, it was more action, more of the adventure elements and less of the real Trekkie stuff.”-----

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/12/star-trek-into-darkness-enjoys-strong-international-debut

Kazenji
I love how the reboot series is more popular to distance themselves from the original series which avoided action. The whole reason I like it was because it abandoned the original lackluster series.

I am right once again.

Once again that's your opinion not fact.

mandijames
Dunno why everyone is excited about Cumberbatch playing the villain, they barely used Eric Bana in the first one, they'll probably give him about 15 mins screen time in total.

Kazenji
Based on?

Darth Martin
This will raise my spirits after Iron Man 3 and Oblivion killed them. I await.

quanchi112
Once again that's your opinion not fact. This is a fact since the makes obviously did so to separate these movies by more action than the original series had. That is a fact.

the ninjak
Although the action scenes in the two films are welcome.

The extreme science aspect and philosophies of the original shows are not a weakness to the franchise.

These new movies are a grittier and more stylized origin story. And I'm ok with that.

quanchi112

The extreme science aspect and philosophies of the original shows are not a weakness to the franchise.

These new movies are a grittier and more stylized origin story. And I'm ok with that. I think they were to me anyways. I am glad these film makers agree since its distancing itself from the older Star Trek. That's why I am on board due to action and it being far more entertaining than the original series.

-Pr-

These new movies are a grittier and more stylized origin story. And I'm ok with that.

The older series' had plenty of action when it was needed. They just had human stories to go with them.

The new movies might be more polished, but they're not nearly as gritty and dark as the Original Series could be at times, nor the subsequent shows.

People tend to forget that when the Original Series came out, it was HUGE.

the ninjak
Originally posted by -Pr-
The older series' had plenty of action when it was needed. They just had human stories to go with them.

The new movies might be more polished, but they're not nearly as gritty and dark as the Original Series could be at times, nor the subsequent shows.

People tend to forget that when the Original Series came out, it was HUGE.

Yeah you're right the original movies had plenty of grit. I just haven't seen them for years.

I don't think anyone disputes the original series fame.
I guess what I was trying to say was in reaction to what Quan wrote.
That the success of the new films is due to heavy action and little "Trekkie"...whatever that means.

-Pr-
Yeah you're right the original movies had plenty of grit. I just haven't seen them for years.

That the success of the new films is due to heavy action and little "Trekkie"...whatever that means.

Well yeah, they aren't successful because they're great Trek movies, even if they have some really solid Trek homages.

They're popular because they're flashy popcorn movies with good looking actors that are actually made well, even with the plot holes. And they were nice enough to give the franchise a bit of oomph that it had been lacking since the last tv show went off the air.

I am hoping the second one is better than the first, though.

quanchi112

That the success of the new films is due to heavy action and little "Trekkie"...whatever that means. Yes, more action oriented isn't what the original series of Trek was about. More Star Wars like in that fashion hence the resurgence since the original series is boring and not appealing to the masses.

the ninjak
Well yeah, they aren't successful because they're great Trek movies, even if they have some really solid Trek homages.

They're popular because they're flashy popcorn movies with good looking actors that are actually made well, even with the plot holes. And they were nice enough to give the franchise a bit of oomph that it had been lacking since the last tv show went off the air.

I am hoping the second one is better than the first, though.

The second is way better than the first and yeah, a polished, sexier model of the original series is naturally gonna work. It's a Hollywood film based on a 60's series.
JJ is an impressive visionary, he knows what works on screen and how to please audiences.

I think they were to me anyways. I am glad these film makers agree since its distancing itself from the older Star Trek. That's why I am on board due to action and it being far more entertaining than the original series.

Well the original series was made in the 60's. They had different sensibilities and obviously less tech to work with. I love the original series but I'm a nostalgia fan.

I read somewhere JJ didn't hardly watch any Star Trek before taking on the project.
But he did a great job of modernizing the characters. The fact that he still uses the same fashion sense of the era and the little gizmos and the sound effects they make.

quanchi112
The second is way better than the first and yeah, a polished, sexier model of the original series is naturally gonna work. It's a Hollywood film based on a 60's series.
JJ is an impressive visionary, he knows what works on screen and how to please audiences.

Well the original series was made in the 60's. They had different sensibilities and obviously less tech to work with. I love the original series but I'm a nostalgia fan.

I read somewhere JJ didn't hardly watch any Star Trek before taking on the project.
But he did a great job of modernizing the characters. The fact that he still uses the same fashion sense of the era and the little gizmos and the sound effects they make. Probably a good thing he didn't watch the original if that's true since that's a lot of suffering IMO.

As long as it stays on this course I will enjoy the new and improved Star Treks.

-Pr-

But he did a great job of modernizing the characters. The fact that he still uses the same fashion sense of the era and the little gizmos and the sound effects they make.

i'd call it more a "dumbed down" version, but it does the job well.

glad to hear it's good, I like cumberbatch.

DARTH POWER
the original series is boring and not appealing to the masses.

The Original series and movies were very appealing to the masses. Everyone used to love Trek back in the day.

But since all the spin off series, it became more of a cult thing.

The new films have done a great job of bringing back the Original Crew to mass appeal.

quanchi112
The Original series and movies were very appealing to the masses. Everyone used to love Trek back in the day.

The new films have done a great job of bringing back the Original Crew to mass appeal. Maybe in the 60's not in my day. They had movies all throughout the decades too it didn't stop.

New films>>old films. By far and the makes agree its a wise move.

-Pr-

The new films have done a great job of bringing back the Original Crew to mass appeal.

Pretty much. It didn't become a huge phenomenon by accident. And this was even before TNG.

quanchi112
Movie makers agree with me not you. smile

the ninjak

Star Trek hasn't needed a reboot until ST: Enterprise reared it's ugly head.

And now that it has happened you're stating how "superior" it is to everything else before it.

You wouldn't have these 2 movies if it wasn't for what came before it.

It's nothing more than the Original series with a new pair of fake **** and a make-over.
And sacrifices all the scientific phenomena, theory and sheer imagination with fast plot devices.

In the end the new movies are a hot stripper dressed in a Star Trek theme. And I'll be damned if I don't pay for a lap dance. And audiences want a show too.

But the new films don't compare to what I got from all the ST Universe. Not by a long shot.

DARTH POWER

Agree with what? Having more action now? That's just a standard demand of modern fantasy movies to be filled with action and special effects. Nothing to do with the Originals not being loved back in their day.

Oh and the series was made in the late 60's. But Trek films were pretty big through the 80's.

Btw many people still feel Wrath of Khan is the best Trek film.

-Pr-
I think it needs to be remembered that the new movies don't detract from the original series at all. They might not have the same "human interest", but they substitute that by appealing to a wider audience.

after voyager and enterprise, star trek needed a bit of cpr, and it got it.

Robtard
I think they were to me anyways. I am glad these film makers agree since its distancing itself from the older Star Trek. That's why I am on board due to action and it being far more entertaining than the original series.

"Distancing"? laughing out loud Abrams clearly pays homage to the OS.

quanchi112
Star Trek hasn't needed a reboot until ST: Enterprise reared it's ugly head.

And now that it has happened you're stating how "superior" it is to everything else before it.

You wouldn't have these 2 movies if it wasn't for what came before it.

It's nothing more than the Original series with a new pair of fake **** and a make-over.
And sacrifices all the scientific phenomena, theory and sheer imagination with fast plot devices.

In the end the new movies are a hot stripper dressed in a Star Trek theme. And I'll be damned if I don't pay for a lap dance. And audiences want a show too.

But the new films don't compare to what I got from all the ST Universe. Not by a long shot. I am saying the crappy manner in which they gave the audience less action was inferior to the newer series. More action makes this dull movies into exciting ones. The makers want to make it less Trekkie. I love it.

quanchi112
Agree with what? Having more action now? That's just a standard demand of modern fantasy movies to be filled with action and special effects. Nothing to do with the Originals not being loved back in their day.

Oh and the series was made in the late 60's. But Trek films were pretty big through the 80's.

Btw many people still feel Wrath of Khan is the best Trek film. They clearly say less Trekkie. I approve the new movies while I cringe at the older ones.

quanchi112
"Distancing"? laughing out loud Abrams clearly pays homage to the OS. Article clearly says less Trekkie. I approve anything being less Trekkie and apparently so does the rest of the world. smile

Robtard
Article clearly says less Trekkie. I approve anything being less Trekkie and apparently so does the rest of the world. smile

Once again you didn't read the article, it says "might be" smile Anyhow.

That non sequitur aside, Abrams isn't "distancing" himself from the OS, when he's clearly paying homage to it with easter eggs and such. You'd know this, if you ever watched the original series smile

quanchi112

That non sequitur aside, Abrams isn't "distancing" himself from the OS, when he's clearly paying homage to it with easter eggs and such. You'd know this, if you ever watched the original series smile Yes, he won't piss on the older generation nor should he but changing the formula into less Trekkie is a win win. Smart move. I'm always right.

Robtard
Yes, he won't piss on the older generation nor should he but changing the formula into less Trekkie is a win win. Smart move. I'm always right.

Glad you agree that he isn't "distancing" his films from the OS, that was a silly claim made from ignorance smile

quanchi112
Glad you agree that he isn't "distancing" his films from the OS, that was a silly claim made from ignorance smile He abandoned the Trekkie formula and is reinventing it with more action than stale anti climactic movies.

Robtard
He abandoned the Trekkie formula and is reinventing it with more action than stale anti climactic movies.

I really enjoyed his first ST film; I expect to enjoy his second.

He's not "distancing" himself from the series though, that was a silly comment of yours, glad you saw the error of your ways smile

quanchi112
I really enjoyed his first ST film; I expect to enjoy his second.

He's not "distancing" himself from the series though, that was a silly comment of yours, glad you saw the error of your ways smile Hes distancing himself from the Trekkie direction of the films. My opinion hasn't changed you just misunderstood as usual.

Far better than the previous movies and the makers agree with me. I'm on fire.

-Pr-

That non sequitur aside, Abrams isn't "distancing" himself from the OS, when he's clearly paying homage to it with easter eggs and such. You'd know this, if you ever watched the original series smile

The amount of easter eggs is pretty ridiculous too. Hell, even the actors are taking cues from the guys that used to play the characters. Karl Urban for example.

DARTH POWER
The amount of easter eggs is pretty ridiculous too. Hell, even the actors are taking cues from the guys that used to play the characters. Karl Urban for example.

Without giving anything away..

There are some huge parallels to the orginial series/films and the main 3 are clearly imitating the how the characters were originally portrayed.

-Pr-

There are some huge parallels to the orginial series/films and the main 3 are clearly imitating the how the characters were originally portrayed.

It's hard not to. I mean, these are some of the most iconic fictional characters ever.

I think Urban just stands out, though (at least in the first movie), as good as the others are. He's very, very good as McCoy.

DARTH POWER
It's hard not to. I mean, these are some of the most iconic fictional characters ever.

I think Urban just stands out, though (at least in the first movie), as good as the others are. He's very, very good as McCoy.

Oh yeah, he's spot on. He's just a younger, better looking McCoy. But then they're pretty much all better looking in this reboot.

-Pr-
laughing out loud

I suppose.

quanchi112
Just saw it. Very solid performance and there's one character I absolutely loved. Expect to see me vs. threading it up and soon. Reboot Star Trek fan.

DARTH POWER
Just saw it. Very solid performance and there's one character I absolutely loved. Expect to see me vs. threading it up and soon. Reboot Star Trek fan.

Spock or Khan?

Esau Cairn

Firstly I DID enjoy the film.
It was simply good fun.

However the "parallels" have me wondering whether Abrahams simply settled on a formula that worked for the original series out of laziness or homage?

I mean every time Kirk made a decision to do something you could automatically expect the "logical" rebuttal from Spock followed by the "Are you crazy?' speech from Bones.

The non-Trekkie sitting next to me started to groan anticipating Spock's "speeches".

Then there was that scene which was simply a reversal of roles between 2 characters based on the famous scene in Wraith/Khan.
Is this Abrahams being lazy or his nod to nostalgia?

Then there was also the free falling scene from JJ's 1st Star Trek duplicated again in the sequel...once again I have to wonder whether it's lazy story-telling or JJ just playing safe & smart?

And lastly, as another poster pointed out...it's convenient in the Star Trek Verse to have technology that suits the future but logically fails when it comes to action scenes. I mean to have a star ship that's powered by cells to give off radiation BUT NOT HAVE a drone/robot/droid to repair such equipment when it's damaged simply reflects drama in the story & not the technology.

DARTH POWER

However the "parallels" have me wondering whether Abrahams simply settled on a formula that worked for the original series out of laziness or homage?

Pretty sure it was homage.

Although they could have made more effort to make Khan seem more like the original Khan. And I'm not even talking about his look. This one talked more like Spock than Khan.

Then there was that scene which was simply a reversal of roles between 2 characters based on the famous scene in Wraith/Khan.
Is this Abrahams being lazy or his nod to nostalgia?

I've put spoilers in there for you stick out tongue

Have to admit I was a bit worried for a moment that the sequel to this would be called "The Search for Kirk"

An opposite parallel that ended in exactly the same way would have been really bad. But I feel the way it turned out was a great film giving a lot of homage to the original. Although I did queeze a bit when Spock shouted "Khan"

But it all turned out great Imo, and gave us something the Original films didn't A punch up with Khan

Esau Cairn
Pretty sure it was homage.

Yeah but even JJ admits never been a fan or have interest in any of the Star Trek series UNTIL AFTER given the green light to direct.
It's only been "recent" that he's watched the "classics" for research, not so much imbedded memories from his childhood.

I'm sure there would've been a Trekkie Consult telling JJ what episodes to watch, what scenes,quotes are iconic, what type of humour would be funny...

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>