Is the EU Invalidated Now the Lucas Sold The Rights?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Based
I don't really know the details of the deal but is Disney creating new canon or is LucasArts still in control of whats canon and whatnot.

ares834
No one knows.

NewGuy01
Yes.

Kazenji
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Q99
Not yet.

Also, more than likely we'll simply have two different EUs. And some old EU stuff will still quality in both (like most Clone Wars era things) and some won't.

NTJack0
No, once the movies are released and trample all over the EU, then yes.

TheOneOfMortis
Maybe just post-RoTJ stuffs.

Nephthys
Man, that would suck. no expression

Imaginary
Originally posted by NTJack0
No, once the movies are released and trample all over the EU, then yes.

This is my understanding too.

Shey Tapani
We shall see.

Q99
The stories'll still exist, mind.

More than likely we'll just talk 'old EU' and 'new canon' canons.

Ushgarak
'Invalidated' is the wrong word. I know I enforce a canon policy, but that's only because we need a reference point for meaningful discussion. Canon doesn't mean better, it doesn't mean innately superior, and it doesn't quite mean 'valid' in a universal sense- only valid within the particular continuity being described.

The EU was always other people's takes on various elements of the Star Wars universe. That's going to be as true after the films come out as it was before. The difference is that there will now be a much more widely known and promoted take on post-ROTJ Star Wars with a more direct link to George, but that doesn't 'invalidate' the EU any more than it was before, because it will still be what it always was. If you prefer the EU interpretation of things, just go on preferring it. It doesn't really work out to obsess over what is the 'right' version. The public belief is going to be that the films are the official continuation, of course, but frankly when we talk of the 'public' on that scale, we're talking about a body for whom the EU didn't exist anyway. I'm more a film person than an EU person, but the idea that sequel films in some way alter the status of the EU sequels really doesn't occur to me.

So, around here, all it will mean is that the new films will be an acceptable point of reference for threads in the film sections in the way the EU is not. In the EU section itself, it may lead to complications when direct contradictions turn up, but that can be worked out on a thread-by-thread basis depending on what people want to discuss.

What won't ever happen is that the entire post-ROTJ body of EU work gets suddenly ignored. It's just its own thing.

Q99
If you're familiar with Star Trek, there's the Starfleet Battles timeline that was created pre-TNG (and even pre-most of the movies), and expanded the universe and events in it well past the original series.

It's still going and still occasionally getting new stuff, even though it ceased being the main canon somewhere in the 1980s.

Shey Tapani
You can make Trek canon work for you . If you pick up a book always ask beforeheand what does it contradict. Vanguard is great self-contained story for example.

Vensai
It will be soon enough. Arguably the EU was never valid to begin with.

Kazenji
Coming from someone that has a avatar of a character that's form the EU.

Vensai
Originally posted by Kazenji
Coming from someone that has a avatar of a character that's form the EU.

I like some EU stuff and dislike others. I'm just mentioning the controversy because the new movies are probably going to throw a lot of EU canon out the window.

Q99
It turns out that Dark Horse is still being hired to do new EU stuff.

I think it'll basically be that we'll have two SW universes.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Q99
It turns out that Dark Horse is still being hired to do new EU stuff.

I think it'll basically be that we'll have two SW universes.

Which is how Lucas always saw it anyway.

But I guess the difference now will be that previously Lucas's work was still canon to the EU. But with the new films they likely won't be canon to Post-ROTJ EU.

But I'm sure the EU will attempt to make them both fit as much as possible.

Vensai
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Which is how Lucas always saw it anyway.

But I guess the difference now will be that previously Lucas's work was still canon to the EU. But with the new films they likely won't be canon to Post-ROTJ EU.

But I'm sure the EU will attempt to make them both fit as much as possible.

That's going to be so much fun...

Q99
Yea. Still, a few years before they have to worry about that ^^

Vensai
I wonder how much the movie makers will acknowledge the EU.

Q99
Little to none.

If there are, it will *only* be to a few very popular EU bits.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.