Return of the space sim combat/exploration genre

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
Since Chris Roberts of Wing Commander fame annoucned his new project, I've been interested to see what some of you young-uns and not-quite-so-young 'uns make of this. Details below, first some context.

Space sims were big in the day, what with the X-Wing, Wing Commander and Freespace franchises, all of which formed a big part of my teenage gaming years.

But wind me back younger than that and I was a big player of the seminal 1984 game Elite- never had a BBC to play it on, but I played the Spectrum version and later the highly upgraded Amiga version. This was possibly |(I know of no other) the first open sandbox game, where you were given a ship and some money and a playing field far vaster than any other seen at the time- no objectives, just go and make money how you want. David Braben repeated his success with the sequel Frontier on the Amiga a decade later, which was the first game I ever saw with a trailer (still a very impressive one, from my view) and expanded the scope to cover millions of star systems to visit, with certain ones (like Sol) done in detail.

This kind of open-ended go-and-do-what-you-like-in-space genre has always had the attraction of going for the Han Solo wanna-be crowd, and yet it's never quite reached full focus. Wing Commander got into the action with the Privateer games, the first of which was great and the second passable. I always thought this was part of a slow transition into modern gaming greatness as time went on- but instead, space sims died on their arse.

For whatever reason, these things have become a niche. I know Sol Exodus has just tried to revive the space combat genre, but only in a so-so way to a limited audience. The X games are a genuine attempt to replicate the Elite-style, but I think they missed the mark. EVE Online has done great things, but ita player base is not huge and the whole player-driven constant PvP griefing nightmare thing just doesn't do it for me. That and the sub fee. And of course, it's set in space but you don't directly fly your ship, Elite style.

-

Anyway. All of a sudden, these things have come back into focus- they may make it or may not. I hope they do.

It's started with Chris Roberts, the Wing Commander guru. He's announced his new game Star Citizen, He actually wanted to make more Wing Commander, but EA (who hold the rights) said it would have to be on consoles as well, and Chris doesn't want that. Instead, he's opted to self-publish his new take on it all.

Take a look at the trailer- for any Wing Commander players, you will note it is so similar in imagery that it must be close to copyright violation. It also looks awesome (those are in-game graphics):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN8MZHT74sE

Note the trailer calls itself 'Squadron 42'. This is because Chris is going both ways at once- the game is both Squadron 42, in which you take on the bad guys (not the Kilrathi, but ridiculously similar) as a military pilot, and Star Citizen, where you are a freelancer going around the universe doing as you want. Pilots are constant between the two; completing S42 makes you a Citizen, Roman-style, in Star Citizen (though there are other ways to get citizenship as well, if you even care).

Of course, with no publisher, Chris needs money, so he's gone for crowd funding. And boy, has it worked! Aiming for an ambitious two million, he's raised over seven million so far, making this the largest crowd funded project ever.

https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/

-

I think this is awesome.. and then, at the same time, David Braben finally announced Elite 4, which has been on the backburner for ages. He's crowd funding as well. It's almost irritating that both darn projects start at once, though looking at their pitches you can see they are offering different takes on the angle (Braben is very eloquent in talking about anti-griefing approaches, showing he's still 'got it', despite now being absolutely ancient in game design terms). This one even made BBC news.

Called Elite: Dangerous, it also looks good from the vids they've shown, though less far along.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous

-

Both games are talking about persistent online play OR private servers OR offline single play, however you want it, no sub fees. It's all completely awesome and I think gaming will be a better place if these games succeed.

Thoughts?

Tzeentch._
Never heard of either games tbh, but I have to say that I absolutely love that this guy has basically given EA the bird, and managed to get away with it due to public funding. I feel like we're entering an era where game devs can finally do what they want without feeling the need to form a symbiotic relationship with a publisher for funding.

Really looking forward to the games we'll be seeing over the next few years.

edit- In an attempt to be at least somewhat on-topic, I loved the hell out of Freespace, and it's not-so-spiritual-successor, Descent. I would love to see games of those caliber back in the lime-light. The space-sim genre is a hard concept to sell to people, but I think that with today's game engine's and with the right Planetside 2/Battlefield type of set-up, they can make a comeback.

-Pr-
Saw this on the angry joe show a while back. Would have loved to help with the kickstarter...

It looks like an awesome game.

Ushgarak
You can still pledge- you just don't get quite the same deals the early adopters got (like free lifetime insurance for their pledge ships).

-

Chris Roberts is VERY vocal about his dislike of the current approach of publishers to gaming- look around the Star Citizen website and you'll see his comments. He's very involved in community interaction, which is nice.

Newjak
Sounds really cool.

Don't know about the game but I like how it has been funded.

omgchos
Originally posted by Ushgarak
You can still pledge- you just don't get quite the same deals the early adopters got (like free lifetime insurance for their pledge ships.

-

Chris Roberts is VERY vocal about his dislike of the current approach of publishers to gaming- look around the Star Citizen website and you'll see his comments. He's very involved in community interaction, which is nice.
I totally agree with the community interaction approach. Game devs take the safe road with online shooting and old templates that everyone knows and is "familiar" with. Its getting old imo.

Peach
Can't say it's the sort of thing that holds any interest for me at all - I'm not a sci-fi person and my love of things outer space basically begins and ends with Star Wars (which, let's be real, is fantasy in outer space, not sci-fi).

However, anyone that tells EA to go to hell is awesome, and I really like when devs take the time to interact with their game communities. And I also like that kickstarters are being used more and more, so that publishers like EA and Activision can't run things into the ground.

Ushgarak

Peach
Well, that's because GW2's payment model is great, and more and more games are heading that way. The Secret World (which I'd been interested in but not enough to pay a sub for) just went that way, getting rid of subs entirely.

Social media and stuff on the internet is amazing for building large communities and getting small, independent dev teams like this the support they need to build a successful game. I used to not believe that myself until I started getting involved in gaming communities online, but man can it ever make a big difference. And twitter, which is my platform of preference, makes it so so so easy to share things - something can be seen by a million people in the matter of minutes.

Ushgarak
Yeah. I commented on your Secret World world thread about that a few hours back...

It's good that people are going for the GW2 model. I am just amused that he directly namechecked it without any reservation- unlike, say, The Elder Scrolls Online, which is blatantly using GW2's system but doesn't want to admit it.

Peach
Heh! Yeah I saw it on twitter yesterday. I may check it out after Christmas when things are a bit less hectic than they are now.

And yes. A lot of games are either going for that payment model or, in the case of ESO, just blatantly stealing everything from it entirely, but don't want to actually go "Yes, we were inspired by GW2" - the articles on ESO I read basically described GW2 in the ES universe, but they listed about every MMO in existence as being inspiration but the obvious one. Made me laugh.

Ushgarak
I guess this is another consequence of being free from a publisher- he can openly compliment other games like GW2, Minecraft, League of Legends etc. without worrying about giving free advertising to his boss's competitors.

Not that I am quite as much on the 'publishers are evil' thing as some people, as I do think they have contributed a lot to full scale game development (for all their bad points, there'd be no GW2 without NCSoft willing to bankroll it for years in advance). But there's definitely an argument that the current publisher culture shuts out avenues that used to be viable, and it's good to see those roads opening up again.

That's why I don't want David Braben to be forgotten in all this- Elite was a huge milestone in gaming development, and it was entirely written by Braben and one other person. This was an era where publishers had a completely different role in the process than today, and were fairly much subordinate to the developer. It was a creative age and I want to see that sort of genius pushing today as well.

My favourite developer of that era (from whose games my name here and all my names in computer RP games) died of cancer a few months back, and that really made me sad. He was just updating his biggest game for the iphone and other mobile devices too, and revisiting his old catalogue. Luckily, his partner in the endeavour is going to try and finish his work, but it's sad that some of these establishing geniuses are dying. Braben deserves his new shot.

Digi
I played one of the Wing Commanders, which was good times. Never got the hang of flight games though, space or otherwise. This will have to come a long way, and maybe include more than just space combat. Trailer doesn't have enough cokpit gameplay to be able to say much, though the ship's on-screen HUD looks too large for my current taste in games, where a minimalist UI is preferable.

I'll buy it if he hires Mark Hammill to do voice work, just to stick it to EA further.

Ushgarak
That WOULD be awesome...

There's definitely foot work in Star Citizen- the PC Gamer preview has Chris Roberts showing his pilot walking out of his ship and around a carrier (though reflecting its pre-alpha status, there was no walking animation yet and the pilot just floated around). Whether you can fight on foot, I have no idea. With Elite, I am less sure where they plan to go.

All space sims worth their salt have had customisable HUDs for a good while now and I doubt that will change.

There's definitely not much SC gameplay on show, no, as this is early days and right now it's really just a concept with an engine behind it. It's one to watch but I wasn't tempted to make a big pledge for it. If it takes off and looks good, I'll pay up front for beta access though.

ArtificialGlory
I am glad these sort of games are making a return, not to mention the way they're(Star Citizen, in particular) making that return. I played Terran Conflict/Albion Prelude and it was a cool game. Slow and rather complex, but ultimately rewarding and fun. Here's to hoping that X Rebirth and Star Citizen will be worthwhile games.

Peach
http://ow.ly/g9UUq

14 staffers laid off from Elite - kinda sucks.

Nibedicus
As a big fan of the Wing Commander series (have it as my top 10 games of all time. Number 1 in the thread. Source: http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=499840&pagenumber=11 ), I have to say, I can't freakin wait for the game to come out and I have my fingers crossed that it won't suck (tho, from what I'm reading so far, I'm fairly confident that it would rock). The fact that he gave EA the finger while doing it makes me want to play this game even more. Haven't really done the whole Kickstarter deal as I've always been one for immediate satisfactiin when spending my money (can't really spend my money first then wait years for the game to come out) but I'm def reconsidering my stance on that with the thought of this game coming out.

Ushgarak

Ushgarak
Incidentally, Elite hit its funding target two days before the Kickstarter expired- on David Braben's birthday,no less- and then went significantly past it in a final burst, so they got about $2.5 million to throw at Elite: Dangerous.

So, both games are being made, and hopefully we can see this genre make a triumphant return!

Nibedicus
Copy/Pasted from: http://www.ign.com/games/star-citizen/pc-144978

Acclaimed game designer Chris Roberts (who helped define the space simulation genre with his Wing Commander and Privateer franchises) takes gamers to another universe with Star Citizen. The game brings the visceral action of piloting interstellar craft through combat and exploration to a new generation of gamers at a level of fidelity never before seen. It offers a complete universe where any number of adventures can take place, allowing players to decide their own game experience. Pick up jobs as a smuggler, pirate, merchant, bounty hunter, or enlisted pilot. A huge sandbox with a complex and deep lore allows players to explore or play in whatever capacity they wish. Immerse yourself high quality, cutting-edge visuals and technology, a virtual world that is massive and detailed, a sophisticated storyline that is wide in scope, and visceral space combat that will make your heart pound.

Release Date: TBA 2014

Here is a short trailer:

RlIWJlz6-Eg

It is currently being crowdfunded via kickstarter and has hit the 14M mark.

Source: http://asia.gamespot.com/news/star-citizen-crosses-14-million-in-funding-6411116

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.