How close could thor come to bench pressing the earth once?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

keiththegreat
I'm pretty sure we all agree Thor couldn't replicate superman's earth bench pressing feat. My question is how close could he come? Could he bench half the earth's weight, a quarter of it? Or is there anyone who thinks he could replicate the feat?

Starscream M
Originally posted by keiththegreat
I'm pretty sure we all agree Thor couldn't replicate superman's earth bench pressing feat. My question is how close could he come? Could he bench half the earth's weight, a quarter of it? Or is there anyone who thinks he could replicate the feat? going by the past decade, no.

psycho gundam
I'm pretty sure we all agree Thor couldn't replicate superman's earth bench pressing feat. no we don't. dcnu superman doing it stunned every single superman fan who ever saw it; it came out of nowhere

abhilegend
Originally posted by psycho gundam
no we don't. dcnu superman doing it stunned every single superman fan who ever saw it; it came out of nowhere
Only you don't. Thor is nowhere near that level of strength especially these days.

Sixth_Winged
I don't think Marvel would like ever prop Thor's strength feat(or any other creatures besides Hulk) like it was portrayed around silver age. Anything more than a huge building-size lifting feat might probably be considered allergy to them nowadays.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by abhilegend
Only you don't. Thor is nowhere near that level of strength especially these days. how do you know this for sure?

Juntai
no we don't. dcnu superman doing it stunned every single superman fan who ever saw it; it came out of nowhere . . . . even though Superman said he could do it years ago;
http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt19/Max_Eisenhardt/SupesBenchPressing.jpg

Newjak
I'm pretty sure we all agree Thor couldn't replicate superman's earth bench pressing feat. My question is how close could he come? Could he bench half the earth's weight, a quarter of it? Or is there anyone who thinks he could replicate the feat? If Marvel had Thor replicate the feat I probably wouldn't bat an eyelash at it. Generally I think Superman is stronger than Thor by a small margin so Thor may not do it as easily as Superman did.

abhilegend
how do you know this for sure?
Just the trend at marvel.Originally posted by Newjak
If Marvel had Thor replicate the feat I probably wouldn't bat an eyelash at it. Generally I think Superman is stronger than Thor by a small margin so Thor may not do it as easily as Superman did.
Superman would be portrayed considerably stronger than thor which he is in any encounter like hulk and the last encounter proved it.

golem370
Scans of Superman bench pressing the earth.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by Juntai
. . . . even though Superman said he could do it years ago;
http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt19/Max_Eisenhardt/SupesBenchPressing.jpg Originally posted by abhilegend
That was before the reboot.

carver9
Just the trend at marvel.
Superman would be portrayed considerably stronger than thor which he is in any encounter like hulk and the last encounter proved it.

Im pretty sure this cut him/Newjack pretty deep. Cold blooded. I don't think any Thor fan ever thought Thor was as stronger as Hulk. I think the versatility argument is what the argument always been about.

Colossus-Big C
Hercules can and has, although the only reason they wont show herc being superior to thor in strength is because thor has much more fans

PillarofOsiris
I don't think Thor would even come close to benching the earth once, to be honest. I'd have trouble seeing him lift a mountain these days.

Juntai
Hulk has been reeling off big feats of strength/striking/lifting/combat on a level and rate that Superman always has for probably the first time since the 70s, but I don't understand why it has to be at the expense and neglect of all the other powerful characters. :/

carver9
Who's neglecting other characters fts.?

golem370
benching pressing the earth would be impossible, you might be able to lift the weight equal to everything on earth rock water ice etc etc.

carver9
Originally posted by golem370
benching pressing the earth would be impossible, you might be able to lift the weight equal to everything on earth rock water ice etc etc

He was hooked to a machine that was generating earth weight.

golem370
I have believed that since they are written characters that if it is needed people who are based mainly on their strength can lift and or move anything they think they can.

carver9
@Golem

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=14060044

ODG
Originally posted by PillarofOsiris
I don't think Thor would even come close to benching the earth once, to be honest. I'd have trouble seeing him lift a mountain these days. If Thor did it, it would be outrageous. It would be rather unprecedented as it would be well beyond anything he's done in the last 2 years, let alone the last 2 dozen years, etc. And yea, one could easily see Thor having issues with lifting a mountain barring said feat. It would also be completely gratuitous and likely create problems problems with consistency almost immediately since he's clearly capable of being beaten down ignominiously by beings who physically don't approach such levels of strength.

In case I have to spell it out: it's basically the same exact situation DCnU Superman was in right before he did it, like psycho gundam said. Like the situation Gray Hulk was in before he busted an asteroid twice the size of the Earth. Like the situation Thor was in rbefore he contained a Life Bomb's detonation that would wipe out 1/5th of the universe (and as a reminder, that wasn't hyperbole, as another Life Bomb detonated and actually wiped out 1/5th of the universe on-panel). Like the situation Scarlet Witch was in right before her Chaos Wave wreaked havoc across the Multiverse.

In short, this has all happened before; it'll all happen again.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by ODG
If Thor did it, it would be outrageous. It would be rather unprecedented as it would be well beyond anything he's done in the last 2 years, let alone the last 2 dozen years, etc. And yea, one could easily see Thor having issues with lifting a mountain barring said feat. It would also be completely gratuitous and likely create problems problems with consistency almost immediately since he's clearly capable of being beaten down ignominiously by beings who physically don't approach such levels of strength.

In case I have to spell it out: it's basically the same exact situation DCnU Superman was in right before he did it, like psycho gundam said. Like the situation Gray Hulk was in before he busted an asteroid twice the size of the Earth. Like the situation Thor was in rbefore he contained a Life Bomb's detonation that would wipe out 1/5th of the universe (and as a reminder, that wasn't hyperbole, as another Life Bomb detonated and actually wiped out 1/5th of the universe on-panel). Like the situation Scarlet Witch was in right before her Chaos Wave wreaked havoc across the Multiverse.

thumb up

Welcome to the world of high end feats.

Philosophía
Originally posted by Newjak
If Marvel had Thor replicate the feat I probably wouldn't bat an eyelash at it. Generally I think Superman is stronger than Thor by a small margin so Thor may not do it as easily as Superman did. I can't follow you. The Superman who performed that feat is a completly new version of him. Why would he be stronger than Thor only by a small margin?

Digi
Originally posted by ODG
If Thor did it, it would be outrageous. It would be rather unprecedented as it would be well beyond anything he's done in the last 2 years, let alone the last 2 dozen years, etc. And yea, one could easily see Thor having issues with lifting a mountain barring said feat. It would also be completely gratuitous and likely create problems problems with consistency almost immediately since he's clearly capable of being beaten down ignominiously by beings who physically don't approach such levels of strength.

rofl

thumb up

Silent Master
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
thumb up

Welcome to the world of high end feats.

Basically.

celeyhyga17
Has Thor replicated or come close to replicating his lifting of the Midgard Serpent? I remember the panel showed the serpent encircling the earth a few times...

TheGodKiller
Originally posted by celeyhyga17
Has Thor replicated or come close to replicating his lifting of the Midgard Serpent? I remember the panel showed the serpent encircling the earth a few times...
I don't think so. The best strength feat in recent times that comes to mind is him and Beta Ray Bill holding up Asgard, and Thor also had the Odinforce in that instance.

celeyhyga17
Originally posted by TheGodKiller
I don't think so. The best strength feat in recent times that comes to mind is him and Beta Ray Bill holding up Asgard, and Thor also had the Odinforce in that instance.
I know that Thor is still the same Thor of today in terms of continuity, but that feat was quite a long time ago. (Midgard Serpent feat)

Estacado
He cant do it not even with 10 scoops of N.O. X-plode.

celeyhyga17
Originally posted by Estacado
He cant do it not even with 10 scoops of N.O. X-plode.

Bahahaha. Wuchoo know bout N.O. X-plode? U meat head!

Estacado
Used that shit to bench press Earth couple times...uhuh

Naija boy
i would honestly be relatively impressed if Thor could bench press Asgard by his lonesome. Not a chance he bench presses the earth or even half of it based on current portrayals

Zack Fair
I'm pretty sure we all agree Thor couldn't replicate superman's earth bench pressing feat. My question is how close could he come? Could he bench half the earth's weight, a quarter of it? Or is there anyone who thinks he could replicate the feat? Not even close.

celeyhyga17
Originally posted by Estacado
Used that shit to bench press Earth couple times...uhuh
Used dat shiet to press ure moms 10 times shun.

carver9
I would like for Marvel to do a strength test with the upper tier beings...something similar to what Superman went through. They recently did one with Hulk but I want to see one with people like Colossus, Thor, Nova, etc...

Silent Master
Originally posted by ODG

I agree.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by carver9
I would like for Marvel to do a strength test with the upper tier beings...something similar to what Superman went through. They recently did one with Hulk but I want to see one with people like Colossus, Thor, Nova, etc... If they have to do it I think bench pressing the earth should be exclusive to someone like Hulk, whose entire gimmick is strength.

The rest should get something akin to when PreFlashpoint Supes/MM/WW combined forces to pull the earth.

celeyhyga17
I would like for Marvel to do a strength test with the upper tier beings...something similar to what Superman went through. They recently did one with Hulk but I want to see one with people like Colossus, Thor, Nova, etc... Nova although a class 100, ain't wowing anyone anytime soon with strength feats. His best feat was lifting and chucking a mature technarch with an over-the-shoulder/overhead throw.

Daredevil1
The closest I can think of is when Kang used his tech on classic Thor that put the weight of half a planet on Thor. It brought him down but to Kangs surprise. Thor was playing possum and easily got up iirc. IMO that's why isolated feats are not as good as direct comparison feats.

Sundipped
no we don't. dcnu superman doing it stunned every single superman fan who ever saw it; it came out of nowhere

While that may be true, people would be less stunned with Thor doing one rep (like op states) as opposed to Superman doing it for five days straight and asking "that's all you got"?.

Silent Master
Originally posted by Sundipped
While that may be true, people would be less stunned with Thor doing one rep (like op states) as opposed to Superman doing it for five days straight and asking "that's all you got"?.

IMO, Given the feats each person had prior to this one, it would have been far less sruprising for Thor to have done it.

Mindset
Thor could bench press the sun.

dmills
He was hooked to a machine that was generating earth weight.

Like that machine that made Thor like a neutron star? Or the one that simulated the weight of a score of planets?

pym-ftw
I think Thor could physically move the planet if needed the relatively microscopic distance of chest to outstretched arms.

-Pr-
Sure, Thor could do it.

And no, we don't all agree.

DarkSaint85
Lol I can see Thor trying, then the weights slamming back down on him, knocking him out.

Fool should've had a spotter.

PillarofOsiris
Originally posted by Silent Master
IMO, Given the feats each person had prior to this one, it would have been far less sruprising for Thor to have done it.

DcNU Superman was growing stronger by the day though. He started out pretty weak. It kind of reminded me of smallville.

SamZED
Iirc from that scan the Midgard serpent circled the earth few times, Thor not only lifted it but broke its grip. I wont be stunned if some writer has Thor or Glads replicate that feat tbh. Not more surprised than when DCnU Supes did it out of the blue.

Juntai
DcNU Superman was growing stronger by the day though. He started out pretty weak. It kind of reminded me of smallville. Only because the initial showings in JLA, and in Action, were actually set in the past, as "year one" type of stories. After that, it's business as usual for Superman.

leonidas
imo it would be more out of character for thor to perform that type of feat than it would be for kal. i'd be surprised if i saw him do it and i think it would raise more eyebrows and questions of consistency. dcnu clark has been slowly building feats so i don't think this scene stunned me like i guess some were. maybe because there has been precedent for this in dc before.

TheGodKiller
I know that Thor is still the same Thor of today in terms of continuity, but that feat was quite a long time ago. (Midgard Serpent feat)
Sure, but based on size alone, there should be a couple of orders of magnitude of difference between The Asgardian landmass that he and Bill held up and the planet sized Midgard Serpent. Thor struggling to do the former(despite having the Odinforce in that instance) seems to imply that he hasn't(and probably won't be for some time to come) be written at a planetary scale of strength in quite a while.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by leonidas
imo it would be more out of character for thor to perform that type of feat than it would be for kal. i'd be surprised if i saw him do it and i think it would raise more eyebrows and questions of consistency. dcnu clark has been slowly building feats so i don't think this scene stunned me like i guess some were. maybe because there has been precedent for this in dc before. thumb up

celeyhyga17
Originally posted by TheGodKiller
Sure, but based on size alone, there should be a couple of orders of magnitude of difference between The Asgardian landmass that he and Bill held up and the planet sized Midgard Serpent. Thor struggling to do the former(despite having the Odinforce in that instance) seems to imply that he hasn't(and probably won't be for some time to come) be written at a planetary scale of strength in quite a while.
I know it's still not planetary level, but during Siege the Thunderbolts stealth group commented on how everything in Asgard seemed so much heavier than normal. One example they gave were doors. Grizzly who was the strong man of that group complained by saying "Are all the doors here minimum 5 tons? Jeez!!" Besides the land mass, the building and probably many other objects in Asgard were made of very heavy material. Understandable because an ordinary fodder god of Asgard is easily a class 20. Just wanted to add that little tidbit.

PillarofOsiris
I know it's still not planetary level, but during Siege the Thunderbolts stealth group commented on how everything in Asgard seemed so much heavier than normal. One example they gave were doors. Grizzly who was the strong man of that group complained by saying "Are all the doors here minimum 5 tons? Jeez!!" Besides the land mass, the building and probably many other objects in Asgard were made of very heavy material. Understandable because an ordinary fodder god of Asgard is easily a class 20. Just wanted to add that little tidbit.

This is true, but Asgard is maybe the size of a mountain. Everything on Asgard would have to be HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS of times heavier than its earth counterparts for it to even come close to approaching the mass of the earth, and even then Thor only lifted half of it, with what appeared to be A LOT of effort. I got the impression that him and Bill combined couldn't hold it up for long. Superman, weakened, benched it for 5 days, and then said, "Is that all you've got?"

celeyhyga17
I'm pretty sure we all agree Thor couldn't replicate superman's earth bench pressing feat. My question is how close could he come? Could he bench half the earth's weight, a quarter of it? Or is there anyone who thinks he could replicate the feat?
Obviously many are of the mindset that Supes and Hulk easily have planetary level strength. This is mainly due to their RECENT strength feats. Still those 2 feats I consider are somewhat outliers since when both happened, many gave a "holy shiet" reaction. It's not like Supes is hurling planets daily and Hulk is punching an object causing the planet to explode on a regular basis. They are impressive high end eats and still not the norm for both. All the jobbing lately has not helped Thor's case in this matter. It's true he has not exhibited planetary level strength (unless I'm missing something) in recent memory, but to say he absolutely can't press earth weight at least once or come close to it forces us to exclude his previous planetary level strength feats. If pressing earth weight for 5 days and astronomical planet busting force are not the norm, then Thor's planetary strength feats of yesteryear are also outliers that should be admissible as sources for this thread. Thor is essentially the same character which leads me to believe he can press earth weight at least once or come close to it.

DarkOdin
In terms of stupid comic feats Thor would do jus tthe same, thor pushed back against the world tree which is so large it spans muiltple dimensions,

Thor and superman will be benching the planet one issue but the next they will have trouble holding up a skyscraper or something

TheGodKiller
Thor only lifted half of it, with what appeared to be A LOT of effort.
Thor also had the Odinforce in that instance(iirc).

TheGodKiller
I know that gods and their realms are supposed to be far denser than Earthly objects, since Athena(based on her bio) is around 400+ lbs, and she seems to be around 5'9" or 5'10" tall.

But, presuming that the city sized Asgard that Thor and Bill supported is, lets go on the ridiculous side and say around a hundred times denser than their earthly counterparts, that still falls far short of Superman's feat(that too while weakened).

So from what I can tell, since his midgard serpent days, I doubt Thor has come close to performing a feat of strength on a planetary scale.

Horrificus
Originally posted by SamZED
Iirc from that scan the Midgard serpent circled the earth few times, Thor not only lifted it but broke its grip. I wont be stunned if some writer has Thor or Glads replicate that feat tbh. Not more surprised than when DCnU Supes did it out of the blue. Yup. That's about 75,000 miles of ultra-dense Asgarding Serpent right there. (Yeah, I know, "that's what SHE said."wink Anyway... Since ALL Asgardian matter is 3 times as dense as that of Earth, I would say we are seeing something that weighs about the same as the Earth, if not more.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/ArealSTUPIguy/1834328-thor_serpent_better_2_super.jpg
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/ArealSTUPIguy/1400456-thor_143_super.jpg

And, this is a beauty right here. Thor's body and all matter in the immediate vicinity is suddenly generating the equivalent gravity of a Neutron Star.
Neutron Star- 1 Sugar Cube of Neutron Star Material = 1 Hundred Billion Tons. His body, plus the mass of all the matter that envelopes him...
At first, he is knocked flat. Then, he is able to stand. Then, finally, he actually throws it all off of his body and moves freely.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/ArealSTUPIguy/2148289-thorstrength25.jpg

Daredevil1
Originally posted by Horrificus

And, this is a beauty right here. Thor's body and all matter in the immediate vicinity is suddenly generating the equivalent gravity of a Neutron Star.
Neutron Star- 1 Sugar Cube of Neutron Star Material = 1 Hundred Billion Tons. His body, plus the mass of all the matter that envelopes him...

Although the gravity is akin(similar) to a Neutron star. It doesn't say it makes a mass of the Neutron star itself. Impressive though.

He has another feat when Kang uses a weapon which he tells Thor, that is applies about the weight of half a planet on Thor. Thor falls down but later it's shown Thor is playing possum and IIRC he gets up easily like nothing was on him.

Naija boy
Under no type of calculation could the midgard serpent be heavier than earth... Seriously. The earth bench press feat would be the best for even classic Thor let alone current. I can't see marvel giving Thor those who kind of ultra strength feats. Best I can see is them having him hold his own for a time with somebody else that may have the superior feats... Like a greenscar/nul situation.

The Sorrow
He also failed to lift the Serpent on another occasion. Thor's absolute best strength feats are fairly average for someone like Superman. IIRC narration once stated Hercules was capable of bench pressing a planet and Thor matched him, although that could be hyperbole. I would be shocked if I saw Thor lift that much weight tbh.

Daredevil1
Originally posted by The Sorrow
He also failed to lift the Serpent on another occasion.

IIRC Thor did lift the Serpent on the other occasion.

Newjak
Originally posted by leonidas
imo it would be more out of character for thor to perform that type of feat than it would be for kal. i'd be surprised if i saw him do it and i think it would raise more eyebrows and questions of consistency. dcnu clark has been slowly building feats so i don't think this scene stunned me like i guess some were. maybe because there has been precedent for this in dc before. I agree somewhat with this as in Strength isn't normally Thor's first avenue when he goes high end.

Mostly his biggest High End feats tend to be him calling down extremely powerful blasts or high end absorption.

Where as Superman generally brings forth high end strength/speed feats cause that's what he is known for.

But Thor is still supposed to be incredibly strong so I wouldn't really bat an eye lash if he did something like what DcNU Superman did.

Magnon
It would take about 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 to 100,000,000,000,000,000,000 Thors to lift the Earth.

So yeah, a single Thor doesn't come very close to doing it.

Silent Master
Originally posted by Magnon
It would take about 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 to 100,000,000,000,000,000,000 Thors to lift the Earth.

So yeah, a single Thor doesn't come very close to doing it.

Wait, so you're arguing that Superman is 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 to 100,000,000,000,000,000,000 times stronger than Thor?

celeyhyga17
This is a pretty retaaaded feat if it's canon. I mean the narrator saying they're "generating enough pressure to knock the whole planet out of orbit"?!? Thor and Herc aren't even pounding each other. The pressure is coming from their one-armed clasp. That's fukkin astronomical! If that's not planetary strength I don't know what is.
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/11/113992/2148217-1658587_thorvs_super.jpg

the Darkone
Thor is not that type of character, Thor is all around versatile character more than Superman, but wouldn't be surprise if Thor does it, it's within his powers and abilities, Marvel doesn't really want too get into strength contest that's not what they are about majority of the time, they will if fits their purpose of the story. Thor lifted the World Engine, Midgard Serpent, resisted the weight of scores of planets, it can be done, but that doesn't mean Superman is stronger than Thor, if he is it wouldn't be by that much for us to notice, they are peers.

IMO Thor, Gladiator, Captain Marvel, Black Adam, Hulk, Hercules can do it, but that's just me!!

the Darkone

Great point, actuallu class 30 and your average Asgardian weighs around 400+ and up, Thor is 640, Sif 435, BRB 495, Loki (Classic) 525, Odin and Bor 650, Buri (Tiwaz) 2216...

the Darkone
This is a pretty retaaaded feat if it's canon. I mean the narrator saying they're "generating enough pressure to knock the whole planet out of orbit"?!? Thor and Herc aren't even pounding each other. The pressure is coming from their one-armed clasp. That's fukkin astronomical! If that's not planetary strength I don't know what is.

Thats planteary, if you can affect a planet axis just by arm wrestling that's ridicolus planetary strength... It's within Thor ability to do it, but it wont happen that not his character.

SamZED
So is that canon or not?

abhilegend
Shared feat brah.Originally posted by SamZED
So is that canon or not?
It was considered an inside joke by the writer and the editor. Your mileage may vary.

Starscream M
why are all the most impressive thor feats from decades ago?

writers no longer depict thor like they did back in the 70s 80s

use modern thor feats and stop using feats that even Marvel would say no longer represent modern thor

Silent Master
Shared feat brah. .

Each of them are only using one arm brah.

Silent Master
Originally posted by Starscream M
why are all the most impressive thor feats from decades ago?

writers no longer depict thor like they did back in the 70s 80s

use modern thor feats and stop using feats that even Marvel would say no longer represent modern thor

As long as the feats are canon, they can use whatever feats they want.

abhilegend
Each of them are only using one arm brah.
What is that supposed to mean snake-eyes?

JakeTheBank
Generally, Thor's best strength feats, imo, are the ones where he's matching someone in strength or overpowering them. He's not really a lifting/pushing/bare handed punch kind of guy, especially nowadays. If you think his older feats "don't count" by virtue of being old, well, that's your prerogative I guess.

That said, Thor's power output/striking power is generally what writers will focus on in terms of his power.

Starscream M
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Generally, Thor's best strength feats, imo, are the ones where he's matching someone in strength or overpowering them. He's not really a lifting/pushing/bare handed punch kind of guy, especially nowadays. If you think his older feats "don't count" by virtue of being old, well, that's your prerogative I guess.

That said, Thor's power output/striking power is generally what writers will focus on in terms of his power. thats not MY prerogative...its common sense and marvel's prerogative

its clear to any fan that thor has changed and evolved as a character as marvel has evolved as a company

just because they don't do reboots don't mean their characters retain all attributes and feats they've done decades ago

JakeTheBank
thats not MY prerogative...its common sense and marvel's prerogative

its clear to any fan that thor has changed and evolved as a character as marvel has evolved as a company

just because they don't do reboots don't mean their characters retain all attributes and feats they've done decades ago

Canon is canon. *shrug*

Outside of random ridiculous high end feats, Thor, as have most Marvel characters, has actually gotten more powerful over time.

I will agree that pure physical strength is a secondary concern when it comes to putting over why Thor is "mighty".

celeyhyga17
Shared feat brah.

And? It doesn't make it less impressive. Even though it's a shared feat, he is exerting equal force to Herc which makes it much less muddled. Don't forget, Hulk's HotM indirect planet busting feat is considered one of the most incredibly impressive feats of strength in all comics. In the end it's shared since Betty was on the receiving end of that impact as was Hulk to her.

Horrificus
Yup. That's about 75,000 miles of ultra-dense Asgarding Serpent right there. (Yeah, I know, "that's what SHE said."wink Anyway... Since ALL Asgardian matter is 3 times as dense as that of Earth, I would say we are seeing something that weighs about the same as the Earth, if not more.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/ArealSTUPIguy/1834328-thor_serpent_better_2_super.jpg
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/ArealSTUPIguy/1400456-thor_143_super.jpg

At first, he is knocked flat. Then, he is able to stand. Then, finally, he actually throws it all off of his body and moves freely.
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q253/ArealSTUPIguy/2148289-thorstrength25.jpg OK.
So, let's make it official. You guys are just deciding to ignore these on-panel feats.
Am I correct?
I just want to be clear on this. You guys have looked at the scans, statements and narration and are saying that it didn't happen, or the details given are to be ignored, etc.

I think that is FREAKING hilarious!

And, excellent ammo for future use. big grin

abhilegend
And? It doesn't make it less impressive. Even though it's a shared feat, he is exerting equal force to Herc which makes it much less muddled. Don't forget, Hulk's HotM indirect planet busting feat is considered one of the most incredibly impressive feats of strength in all comics. In the end it's shared since Betty was on the receiving end of that impact as was Hulk to her.
Shared feats are less accurate in assessing strength levels. Maybe to hulk fans, it was an incredible feat. Superman and Kal-L did that 5 years before pak tried that.

abhilegend
OK.
So, let's make it official. You guys are just deciding to ignore these on-panel feats.
Am I correct?
I just want to be clear on this. You guys have looked at the scans, statements and narration and are saying that it didn't happen, or the details given are to be ignored, etc.

I think that is FREAKING hilarious!

And, excellent ammo for future use. big grin
One is nowhere close to being a planetary feat and other is pure silver age hyperbole. What else is being ignored here?

celeyhyga17
Shared feats are less accurate in assessing strength levels. Maybe to hulk fans, it was an incredible feat. Superman and Kal-L did that 5 years before pak tried that.

No. The illustration as well as the narration clearly portray an equal amount of force. Lol for you on not being able to see that. For that scan, your shared feat statement does not carry much weight. For some shared strength feats, it's a reasonable argument to bring up. This one, not so much... Smh..

-K-M-
Meh! Cause one big enough earthquake and you can shift the earth's axis

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/japanquake/earth20110314.html

celeyhyga17
Originally posted by -K-M-
Meh! Cause one big enough earthquake and you can shift the earth's axis

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/japanquake/earth20110314.html
Yeah, but the point is the type of force they're generating must be so high that it's indirectly causing a shift on the earth's axis. It's not like they're burrowing deep inside the earth and tearing shiet up. Punching someone on their face and getting a result is way different than punching somone on their face, but getting the same result to some other poor schmuch's face who was standing 100 feet away.

abhilegend
No. The illustration as well as the narration clearly portray an equal amount of force. Lol for you on not being able to see that. For that scan, your shared feat statement does not carry much weight. For some shared strength feats, it's a reasonable argument to bring up. This one, not so much... Smh..
So thor is strong enough to provide half the force to cause an earthquake like that was depicted in the comic and shift the planet's axis in a backup feature in the comic which was meant as comedy? Here is the full scene

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/Marvel/Thor_400-50.jpg
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/Marvel/Thor_400-51.jpg
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/Marvel/Thor_400-52.jpg
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/Marvel/Thor_400-53.jpg
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/Marvel/Thor_400-54.jpg

Hurray for him, I guess. He's strong enough to wipe post-crisis byrne era superman's shoes who provided more than half the force to bring earth to its proper axis while it was propelled to sun by a skyfather level entity.

Juntai
The gravity doesnt mean a whole lot anyways, many spacefaring characters can actually fly through and around stars. Also? Where does that take place? Because the floor is entirely in-tact. The force of a nuetron stars worth of gravity forming on a planet would suddenly destroy it.

-K-M-
Yeah, but the point is the type of force they're generating must be so high that it's indirectly causing a shift on the earth's axis. It's not like they're burrowing deep inside the earth and tearing shiet up.

From the scans it kind of showed they were burrowing down (2nd panel) and destroyed an entire plateau. You can put pressure on top of a plate causing it to go underneath another, which can cause an earthquake

http://www.scienceclarified.com/images/uesc_08_img0459.jpg

It's impressive sure, but proof that's planteary strength? I don't see it.

Horrificus
One is nowhere close to being a planetary feat and other is pure silver age hyperbole. What else is being ignored here? Midgard Serpent Feat- I think the reason the bottom panel is given is to show that it was a feat based in reality that actually effected the entire planet.

Neutron Star Gravity Feat- Probably caused Thor's body to become the equivalent of 2,030,000,000,000,000 tons.
Which isn't 6,600,000,000,000,000,000,000 tons of the Earth, but the material that enclosed around him would have been under the same gravity effect and who knows what that comes out to.
Either way, it's a nice feat.

abhilegend
Midgard Serpent Feat- I think the reason the bottom panel is given is to show that it was a feat based in reality that actually effected the entire planet.

Neutron Star Gravity Feat- Probably caused Thor's body to become the equivalent of 2,030,000,000,000,000 tons.
Which isn't 6,600,000,000,000,000,000,000 tons of the Earth, but the material that enclosed around him would have been under the same gravity effect and who knows what that comes out to.
Either way, it's a nice feat.
No, it wasn't. You can apply math only so far.

Like I said hyperbole.

Juntai
They're also 1960s feats for the most part, even if they are canon, Thor hasn't been written like that in a long time.

Juntai
Well, I guess armwrestling must be 1989. Still 20+ years ago.

celeyhyga17
They're also 1960s feats for the most part, even if they are canon, Thor hasn't been written like that in a long time.

You're going too far back.
The Midgard Serpent one is from 1983 and the neutron star one is from 1979.

Juntai
The very idea that you have to search back into the 80s and 70s and earlier to find random scans to even attempt to match the stuff Superman does year in and year out should tell everyone who pays attention about the different brackets the characters are in. Their maxes, are his average.

Juntai
Hulk in the last couple of years is the only one to match Superman's consistency involving big time in and out of combat feats, and it took canonically the strongest version of the character to match those averages.

celeyhyga17
From the scans it kind of showed they were burrowing down (2nd panel) and destroyed an entire plateau. You can put pressure on top of a plate causing it to go underneath another, which can cause an earthquake

http://www.scienceclarified.com/images/uesc_08_img0459.jpg

It's impressive sure, but proof that's planteary strength? I don't see it.
Whoah! I know wut ure saying, but that's a little too much reality there. Dunno bout that, but I'm simply going by what the narrator says about enough force to put the planet out of its orbit. I don't remember the narrator saying they're causing an earthquake.
The very idea that you have to search back into the 80s and 70s and earlier to find random scans to match the stuff Superman does year in and year out should tell everyone who pays attention about the different brackets the characters are in. Their maxes, are his average. But Thor is not always portrayed that way. Characters like Supes and Hulk are almost always tied to strength. Most of Thor's portrayals connect him with magic and Mjolnir. You'll get the occasional strength feat, but that's not his calling card. We can't just dismiss his strength feats because he's essentially the same character from those comics.

-K-M-
Wait? The arm-wrestling scan wasn't even on Earth.....

That brings up way to many questions, what's the size of the planet? what's the density of the planet? what's the gravity like? what's the tectonic plates like? etc etc

Juntai
We can't just dismiss his strength feats because he's essentially the same character from those comics. I didn't dismiss them, though I take anything gold/silver age/bronze age with a grain of salt. What I said involves the idea that someone can take any few years of Superman and match them to his greatest career feats.

Mindship
It's impressive sure, but proof that's planetary strength? I don't see it. Tectonic strength? cool

---------------------------------

If a story had Thor 'benchpressing' the earth, I would not necessarily go wtf. Part of why I buy the feat with Supes is because of the scene with the benching machine, and the artwork itself. It all came together real nice.

If Thor benched the earth for six days, then I'd say Marvel was being...provocative.

abhilegend
Wait? The arm-wrestling scan wasn't even on Earth.....

That brings up way to many questions, what's the size of the planet? what's the density of the planet? what's the gravity like? what's the tectonic plates like? etc etc
Yep, it wasn't earth.

Juntai
Technically before the latest reboot, DC's precrisis stories were back in continuity, but no one ran around going 'lol superman blows a star across the cosmos with superbreath!1!!'

-K-M-
I personally feel the Superman feat was ridic and commented on it as such in a few other threads. Just so out there, and I have a hard time believing writers will continue to have him at those levels.

Newjak
I didn't dismiss them, though I take anything silver age/bronze age with a grain of salt. What I said involves the idea that someone can take any few years of Superman and match them to his greatest career feats. Which is fine, cause let's be honest Superman has always been a feats machine especially for strength, speed, and durability as those are what he is most known for.

And while it's not always the main or only reason that fact is still a big reason why fans enjoy reading him. They want to see him do tons of feats that are ridiculous.

And it doesn't matter cause that doesn't invalidate another character's feats which clearly put them in Superman's power range or close to it.

celeyhyga17
I personally feel the Superman feat was ridic and commented on it as such in a few other threads. Just so out there, and I have a hard time believing writers will continue to have him at those levels.

I always said there are outlier feats. That's obviously one of them or else Supes will be tossing planets on a regular basis. For the purpose of this thread, all I'm saying is that it's not impossible to accept if Thor could press earth weight or at least come close to it solely going by his strength feats.

Juntai
Originally posted by Newjak
Which is fine, cause let's be honest Superman has always been a feats machine especially for strength, speed, and durability as those are what he is most known for.

And while it's not always the main or only reason that fact is still a big reason why fans enjoy reading him. They want to see him do tons of feats that are ridiculous.

And it doesn't matter cause that doesn't invalidate another character's feats which clearly put them in Superman's power range or close to it. When their mightiest moments in 50 years are just average for him any given couple of years, it puts them in perspective. It tells me their average isn't close to his.

Juntai
I personally feel the Superman feat was ridic and commented on it as such in a few other threads. Just so out there, and I have a hard time believing writers will continue to have him at those levels. Well, I just don't think he's been depowered much at all, once they started to get past the 'year one' type of stories.

This was a bit before the reboot.
. . . . even though Superman said he could do it years ago;
http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt19/Max_Eisenhardt/SupesBenchPressing.jpg

Juntai
Hulk in the last couple of years is the only one to match Superman's consistency involving big time in and out of combat feats, and it took canonically the strongest version of the character to match those averages. Do you think Thor is in this bracket, honestly?

-K-M-
Well, I just don't think he's been depowered much at all, once they started to by the 'year one' type of stories.

This was a bit before the reboot.

Yeah but saying something and doing something are two different things. Besides he didn't say he would do it for 5 days and while weakened.

I do agree with you on average Superman does far higher things then Thor though. As you mentioned if they have to go 20+ years for a comparable feat, the average isn't the same.

CosmicComet
The Midgard Serpent has been calc'd before.

It came out to the tens of quintillions of tons range. Not even 200 quintillion tons like All-Star Superman (which in itself is only about ~3% of the Earth's weight).

It's one of Thor's most notable strength feats, but you have to go back that far just to find an object that's heavy enough for him to lift, that still doesn't let him compare as favorably to Current Superman as a toddler compares to Louis Cyr.

abhilegend
Technically before the latest reboot, DC's precrisis stories were back in continuity, but no one ran around going 'lol superman blows a star across the cosmos with superbreath!1!!'
This gave me an idea. You know what things happened exactly the same way in post-crisis history as in silver age. Here superman remembers the death and resurrection of lightning lad as it happned in silver age

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/Superman/th_03-1.jpg

Proof

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_rLV-ZuNPwJ4/S8wBK38jN8I/AAAAAAAAHG8/IHYsnFPfCC8/s400/Adventure+312-14.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_rLV-ZuNPwJ4/S8wBys8nD4I/AAAAAAAAHHE/qzqU2V38yU4/s400/Adventure+312-15.jpg

Now everything pre-crisis is canon for superman!

Newjak
When their mightiest moments in 50 years are just average for him any given couple of years, it puts them in perspective. It tells me their average isn't close to his. It mostly just tells me they are different characters with different types of stories.

While Thor doesn't have tons of strength he does have them, and he has always been considered one of the stronger herald level characters.

Juntai
This gave me an idea. You know what things happened exactly the same way in post-crisis history as in silver age. Here superman remembers the death and resurrection of lightning lad as it happned in silver age

Now everything pre-crisis is canon for superman! Of course. I believe it was Batman who said he remembered fighting Mordru in JLA volume 1 as well.

zopzop
Originally posted by SamZED
Iirc from that scan the Midgard serpent circled the earth few times, Thor not only lifted it but broke its grip. I wont be stunned if some writer has Thor or Glads replicate that feat tbh. Not more surprised than when DCnU Supes did it out of the blue.
Thor failed to lift the Midgard Serpent before, the best he could manage was a "paw" of it.

Thor needed help to lift Asgard and even then it looked like something "magical" was happening with Mjolnir and Stormbreaker.

Thor was struggling to lift the frame skyscraper (he may have been poisoned by Mongoose though can't remember).

The "World Engine" feat reminds me of Herc's "lifting the Sky feat" how do you quantify it?

His best lifting feat (?) was pulling the Midgard Serpent off the Earth.

IMHO I don't think Thor will be lifting anything anywhere near planet size in the near future.

abhilegend
Of course. I believe it was Batman who said he remembered fighting Mordru in JLA volume 1 as well.
Yep, but as far as marvel fanboys are concerned it isn't canon despite it being spelled out for everyone.

CosmicComet
A Toddler. To Louis Cyr.

That is a smaller strength gap than Midgard Serpent lifting Thor vs Current Superman.

Herald level is just a non-canon fan made term that's part of an attempt at creating tiers so thread making can be a bit more regulated.

It makes people lazy and just assume parity or near parity when they see people written in the same list--even when its cross-company.

Actually compare the strength feats and you'll see there isn't really a parity at all, best for best. Maybe there's a parity in an average vs best scenario, but that's a best case scenario.

Juntai
Originally posted by CosmicComet
A Toddler. To Louis Cyr.

That is a smaller strength gap than Midgard Serpent lifting Thor vs Current Superman.

Herald level is just a non-canon fan made term that's part of an attempt at creating tiers so thread making can be a bit more regulated.

It makes people lazy and just assume parity or near parity when they see people written in the same list--even when its cross-company.

Actually compare the strength feats and you'll see there isn't really a parity at all, best for best. Maybe there's a parity in an average vs best scenario, but that's a best case scenario. thumb up

Juntai
A Toddler. To Louis Cyr.

Actually compare the strength feats and you'll see there isn't really a parity at all, best for best. Maybe there's a parity in an average vs best scenario, but that's a best case scenario. What began to set Superman apart from the crowd was the addition of Doomsday and Darkseid to his mythology.

Darkseid, a cosmic god more powerful than the Olympian and Norse gods, that they're even terrified of his name. That created Stayne out of the palm of a his cosmic fist.

And Doomsday, who makes Darkseid feel the same way. Who can walk over 'high heralds' and even godlike beings with nearly equal ease.

Now, Superman's 'average' isn't even close to Doomsday. He literally has pump his power at a rate he just can't maintain to even survive for a period against him, it even killed him the first time. And he's often still at a disadvantage.

Philosophía
I'm honestly surprised the myth of the "Midgard Serpent" feat still persists.

It's, quite simply, baffling.

How many people here have actually read the issue where Thor does this?

Because this might be the biggest 'myth' on this forum. Ever.

zopzop

Magnon
Wait, so you're arguing that Superman is 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 to 100,000,000,000,000,000,000 times stronger than Thor?

The current Superman is quite a new character and as such his powers are still in flux. I doubt he'll end up with a "multi-planetary scale" power level.

But in principle there's nothing that prevents characters from different publishers to have vastly different power levels. For example, pre-crisis Superman certainly was billions and billions of times stronger than Thor.

CosmicComet

But in principle there's nothing that prevents characters from different publishers to have vastly different power levels. For example, pre-crisis Superman certainly was billions and billions of times stronger than Thor.

Exactly.

Nothing but forum sentiment.

dmills
Superman fans on one in this thread lol. Come on Thor/Surfer fans. At least put up a fight sheesh.

Philosophía
Originally posted by zopzop
What do you mean? What Thor did there, and what people are passing it as, is similar to me saying that Superman is capable of blowing planets with his heat vision, or holding them in his hand, based on this scan, where he is in the New Gods world, interacting with the normal dimension:

http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt19/Max_Eisenhardt/th_serpentbullshit1.jpghttp://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt19/Max_Eisenhardt/th_serpentbullshit2.jpghttp://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt19/Max_Eisenhardt/th_serpentbullshit3.jpg

First of all, the Serpent didn't encoil Earth in normal space, he went into the Void :

http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt19/Max_Eisenhardt/th_Untitled.jpg

That's why he is said to be in his etheral form, in the normal dimension :

http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt19/Max_Eisenhardt/th_Untitled2.png

And that's why Thor needed to go to Asgard to deal with the Serpent, otherwise it would have made damage in the normal Universe:

http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt19/Max_Eisenhardt/th_Untitled3.png

Once there, Thor travels by boat in the void between Asgard and Earth and uses a simple bull to fish it out:

http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt19/Max_Eisenhardt/Thor_1983_327_15.jpg
http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt19/Max_Eisenhardt/Thor_1983_327_16.jpg
http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt19/Max_Eisenhardt/Thor_1983_327_17.jpg

In the subsequent showdown we, again, painfully see that the Serpent is nowhere near continent/Earth sized, relative to Thor :

http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt19/Max_Eisenhardt/Thor_1983_327_18.jpg
http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt19/Max_Eisenhardt/Thor_1983_327_19.jpg
http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt19/Max_Eisenhardt/Thor_1983_327_20.jpg

It is flat-out stated that space aren't the same in the Void :

http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt19/Max_Eisenhardt/th_Untitled4.png

In the Void the normal limits and proportions of time/space don't apply. That's why, eventough the Serpent was small enough for Thor to stand face-to-face with him, and get fished out with a bull, he was capable of encoiling the Earth, and crushing it with his etheral form from the Void.
It's a non-feat.
This feat has been one of the most baffling, well kept lies in the history of KMC.

Juntai
lol.

dmills
laughing Damn. Cold blooded.

Juntai
The current Superman is quite a new character and as such his powers are still in flux. I doubt he'll end up with a "multi-planetary scale" power level.

But in principle there's nothing that prevents characters from different publishers to have vastly different power levels. For example, pre-crisis Superman certainly was billions and billions of times stronger than Thor. I dunno about multi, but he's had moon busting/planet moving strength for quite some time, years even, before the reboot. It just seems to me that he hasn't lost much.

-K-M-
Wow good post Phil

Juntai
Wow good post Phil Cosigned.

CosmicComet
Thor is the context-iest one there is!

dmills
Where are the Thor fans? These dudes are not only saying that Thor's strength is like a toddler in comparison to Supes, but one of his highest regarded feats is a complete myth! They're chumping y'all mang!!

Yes I'm instigating lol. It's a slow day at the office and I demand entertainment damnit!

Starscream M
Originally posted by dmills
Where are the Thor fans? These dudes are saying Thor's strength is like a toddler in comparison, but one of his most highest regarded feats is a complete myth! They're chumping y'all mang!!

Yes I'm instigating lol. It's a slow day at the office and I demand entertainment damnit! dood, stop trolling no expression

dmills
dood, stop trolling no expression

Dood you gonna report me?

CosmicComet
Originally posted by dmills
Where are the Thor fans? These dudes are not only saying that Thor's strength is like a toddler in comparison to Supes, but one of his highest regarded feats is a complete myth! They're chumping y'all mang!!

Yes I'm instigating lol. It's a slow day at the office and I demand entertainment damnit!

slight correction;

I said a toddler compares more favorably to the greatest strongman in history than Thor compares to Superman.

dat salt.

Juntai
It's a little bit of trolling, or perhaps closer to freeposting than anything probably... but he's not targetting anyone in particular, and not really doing much harm.

dmills
slight correction;

I said a toddler compares more favorably to the greatest strongman in history than Thor compares to Superman.

dat salt.

laughing out loud

It's a little bit of trolling, or perhaps closer to freeposting than anything probably... but he's not targetting anyone in particular, and not really doing much harm.

Yeah I'm BSing around. Mostly. But I am kind of taken aback by the lack of a proper response to some of the claims and challenges that Supes fans have been making in various threads lately. Because lets face it, at the end of the day the things being stated here with regards to Thor vis a vis Superman (factual or not) by some are far more confrontation inducing than anything I've said lol.

Juntai
slight correction;

dat salt. One of. Pudz, Pfister, Saxon and some others have overshadowed him by quite a bit. Once upon a time though, he was that dude.

But we're in a different era of technology in the gym, coaching, super vitamins, and in some cases PEDs.

zopzop

Silent Master

IOW, you're arguing that current Superman is 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 to 100,000,000,000,000,000,000 times stronger than Thor.

Mindset
Thor is stronger than Superman.

Whatever Superman can do, Thor can do +1.

CosmicComet
IOW, you're arguing that current Superman is 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 to 100,000,000,000,000,000,000 times stronger than Thor.

If Thor's greatest quantifiable strength feat is even on par with All-Star Superman's (which I doubt it would be), that would put his best lifted weight at 3% of current Superman 's.

Yet the difference would be far greater than that, as 6 sextillion tons was light enough to be bench-pressed for 5 days, as opposed to once, and the limits of the machine were high enough make the planet implode on itself(which must be insanely high if being set to 6 sextillion tons was not high enough to do so), if Dr. Veritas turned it up to find Superman's limit.

Juntai
Originally posted by zopzop

How does this compare to post Crisis Superman? We already seen DCNu Supes lift a planetary level weight. If he has any other lifting feats in this category, we can safely say he's leagues above Thor in terms of "lifting" strength. It's DCnu's biggest to date- but they're only a year of issues in, and have largely been 'Year One' stories set in the past , but Superman has a lot of stuff post crisis.

GL created a harness and he pulled the planet. Lifted the moon back into position as it was on collision course with Earth. Moved the moon/planets on nearly a dozen occasions. Pounding his fist on the JLA Moonbase nearly sent it out of orbit, while he was having trouble controlling his power. He outright stated in battles at least 3 seperate occasions that the casual punches he was throwing could crack planets or moons , told us in a scan I posted earlier in the thread that he was capable of bench-pressing the Earth. Held a small Black Hole in his hand. A blast of heat vision provided enough energy to move a planet 6 times larger than Earth -- while under a red sun. And tons of other stuff I'm not even thinking of at the moment.

His 'big' feats become the hard/impossible to quantify of mythic status; The Maggeddon feat. The Infinite Book, carrying The Bleed, etc,

People like to think some of the stuff is hyperbole, but when he says it and does it, it kind of throws it out of the window, and makes it clearly writers intention.

He almost hardly belongs in the 'high herald' bracket, because his 'average' is their all time highs. And his higher feats often involve him blatantly overpowering/toe-to-toeing w/ skyfathers/abstracts and shit.

Colossus-Big C
If Thor's greatest quantifiable strength feat is even on par with All-Star Superman's (which I doubt it would be), that would put his best lifted weight at 3% of current Superman 's.

Yet the difference would be far greater than that, as 6 sextillion tons was light enough to be bench-pressed for 5 days, as opposed to once, and the limits of the machine were high enough make the planet implode on itself(which must be insanely high if being set to 6 sextillion tons was not high enough to do so), if Dr. Veritas turned it up to find Superman's limit. but then you disagree when i say guys like Captain Marvel And Black Adam are stronger than thor?

CosmicComet
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
but then you disagree when i say guys like Captain Marvel And Black Adam are stronger than thor?

Not at all.

Why would I?

carver9
Hulk in the last couple of years is the only one to match Superman's consistency involving big time in and out of combat feats, and it took canonically the strongest version of the character to match those averages.

When you can show any high Herald punching each other, melting Heralds within the vicintity, holla at me. That ain't happening bro, sorry. Superman is strong but not Hulk strong and lol at average. The weakest of Hulks was pulling off planetary strength and maxing out test and being marked as having unlimited strength. Just hush.

dmills
It's DCnu's biggest to date- but they're only a year of issues in, and have largely been 'Year One' stories set in the past , but Superman has a lot of stuff post crisis.

GL created a harness and he pulled the planet. Lifted the moon back into position as it was on collision course with Earth. Moved the moon/planets on nearly a dozen occasions. Pounding his fist on the JLA Moonbase nearly sent it out of orbit, while he was having trouble controlling his power. He outright stated in battles at least 3 seperate occasions that the casual punches he was throwing could crack planets or moons , told us in a scan I posted earlier in the thread that he was capable of bench-pressing the Earth. Held a small Black Hole in his hand. A blast of heat vision provided enough energy to move a planet 6 times larger than Earth -- while under a red sun. And tons of other stuff I'm not even thinking of at the moment.

His 'big' feats become the hard/impossible to quantify of mythic status; The Maggeddon feat. The Infinite Book, carrying The Bleed, etc,

People like to think some of the stuff is hyperbole, but when he says it and does it, it kind of throws it out of the window, and makes it clearly writers intention.

He almost hardly belongs in the 'high herald' bracket, because his 'average' is their all time highs. And his higher feats often involve him blatantly overpowering/toe-to-toeing w/ skyfathers/abstracts and shit.

So if I'm to understand you correctly, you're essentially saying that the toughest/highest level of foes, challenges etc that Thor (since he's in this thread) has faced are average things that Superman faces and overcomes on a relatively regular basis?

carver9
That's exactly what he is saying. By the way, good post Philo.

Newjak

abhilegend

Horrificus

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>