movies that ment something

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Fire
Spielberg's Jurassic Park: First movie that got me frightened of something that wasn't on the set.
Peter Weir's Dead poets society: First movie that ever made me cry (last one for so far)
Spielberg's E.T.: First movie that made me believe in something that wasn't real
Peter jackson's FOTR: First movie that made me believe in an entire world that wasn't real, first time I saw a book portrayed that well
Michael Apted's Gorilla's in the mist: First movie that made me so angery I start screaming at the TV (I was 7 or so)
***'s The Matrix: First movie that showed me slow motion picture has a use outside of sports
Michael Bay's The Rock: First movie that showed me that music is everything in certain scenes

well I am sure there are more but I can't remember them all right now
do you ppl have movies like that?

mah
Amadeus showed me that films about something I originally had no interest, and absolutely no wish to see, could be one of the best movie-experiences ever.

BackFire349
texas chainsaw massacre showed me how amazingly effective a horror movie can be. one flew over the cuckoos nest showed me how well developed a character can be. and requiem for a dream showed me how intensly depressing a movie can be and how much music can add to the emotion.

Bad Boy
Kassovitz's La Haine- Showed me the struggle and pain that people are forced into while I live a perfect life

Michael Bay's Bad Boys- A cinemagraphic action fest that was different to other action films in so many ways.

Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor- A visual masterpiece. Not the greatest in terms of character development and script, but immense with the use of imagery.

Fire in the Sky- Terrifyed me at the age of 8. To this day, only alien abuction films scare me!

Marc Evans' My Little Eye- A twisted idea but clever.

Michael Bay's Armageddon- Shows me why I love films- pure escapism, 100% entertainment! Bay's visual style was also amazing again!

Oliver Stone's Natural Born Killers- A cool attack on media violence.

Antouine Fuqua's Training Day- Along with wonderful camera shots, it shows the twisted side of the LA police force.

Michael Mann's Ali- Will Smith was just amazing!!!

Kevin Williams' Escape From Reality- Oh hang on, I ain't directed it yet.....

Thomas H
Ridley Scotts Black Hawk Down-Simply moved me in many ways,m the best movie ever.

Peter Weirs Dead Poets Society-a very emmosial(spelt worng!) movie.

Michael Bays The Rock-pure action fest with the best soundtrack ever.

Frank Darabonts The Green Mile-first movie that I actually cried a little bit.

BackFire349
oh i forgot one. platoon showed me the reality of war. and not that americans are always the good guys.

Fire
well the not being the good guys came to me in apocalypse now

Thomas H
wich is a horrible movie!

BackFire349
platoon showed it more accurately. considering how apocolypse now was one of the most unbeleivable war movies ever. it got very sloppy and silly towards the end and ruined what was a very credible and interesting movie up till that point.

GordonSkywalker
Never seen it, but have heard a lot about it.

Thomas H
as I said it is bad, and unrealistic overrated movie,,,,

but then again...watch Platoon, wich is a superb movie!

Bad Boy
Casulties of War was good!

BackFire349
yes it is

Fire
Ok Thomas you can say a lot
but you can hardly call apocalypse now a bad movie

Corran
A New Hope - the first film I remember watching at the cinema, not the first I watched just the first I remember.
The Champ - first film that brought a tear to my eyes and I don't know why
American Werewolf in London - first film I watched on as a Date.
Grease - probably the film I had to watch most, my sisters liked this as kids and they always watched it when given the choice.
The Evil Dead - the first Horror film that scared me.
Carrie - the first horror film I watched.
Blazing Saddles - Although not as funny now, as a kid I cried with laughter, I have never laughed that much watching a film since.

I presume this is what you meant by movies that meant something

Thomas H
ohh yes I can fire, and you cant stop me...its the most unrealistic war movie ever! f***, even platoon leader starring Michael Dudikoff is more realistic!!!!!!

Fire
Not every great movie is ment to be realistic thomas

mah
true

Gundark
I agree with Bad Boy on Fire In The Sky. I can't watch alien abduction movies. They totally freak me out. confused

Dano
The difference is "AN" is a movie of fiction, where "Platoon" is loosely based on Oliver Stone's time in the Nam. Both good movies for what they were.

I prefer war-movies with more heroic type action in them!

Bad Boy
Fire In The Sky freaked me out so much that I even found it hard to watch the first episode of Taken!!!

Fire
depends on what I am going for
but I usualy want realism, but realism in facts and greater plans, not in the visual aspect
still think the longest day is a very good and very realistic war movie

BackFire349
apocolypse now is in no way a 'bad' movie. however. you can tell the movie was meant to be realistic in some ways. where it failed at parts. this is probably because the movie was being writting AS it was being filmed. anyways, the part where the movie really lost itself is toward the end. where it turned into something of a horror movie and lost the feel of war completely. im aware that this was to show how horrific and apocolyptic the soldiers felt in the vietnam war. but as shown in platoon, you dont have to sacrafice realism in order to capture great and powerful visuals.

Thomas H
did stone fight in nam himself...and he was proably to stone(d) to fight!

Fire
that's true Backfire than again
every director has his style

BackFire349
yeah stone was in nam. almost everything that happened in platoon happened to him.

Thomas H
I bet he was like william dafoe, a good soldier, but a crack addict! Surley not the cold hearted warrior like Tom Berenger!

BackFire349
actually the character charlie sheen played was modeled after stone.

Thomas H
ok...a newbie then!

finti
movies that ment something,
or it is the other way around, movies that ought to mean something just becomes a total drag like Schindlers List

Thomas H
yea yea yea....Schindlers List was a super docu drama!

finti
boring is the word

Thomas H
that is 2001 a space odessey and godfather...not Schindlers List!

GordonSkywalker
Schindlers List is a very emotional thought-provoking film about events during the Holocaust. It also just happens to feature both Pernilla August and Liam Neeson.

BackFire349
you all need to keep in mind when arguing with finti that he dislikes most drama's.

GordonSkywalker
Ah I see. Thanks for the tip, Backfire.

Fire
2001 a space odessey is a classic it aint boring it's just a style

Fire
no it has to be seen like this
movies that ment something to you personaly finti

GordonSkywalker
Young Guns 2 means something to me personally. It is the epitome of what pals and friendship is all about. And the extraordinary lengths we will go to protect and help our friends.

Thomas H
if you are interessted in seeing movies where you can see what it means to be a pal, I give you these three titles Band Of Brothers, Saving Private Ryan and Black Hawk Down!

Fire
Thomas you can show what it means to be friends without having to be in a war for that

Thomas H
well, you can see the banding of brothers, friends and companions in those movies....im not saying you got too see these movies...but its a good example on how the banding is in the army!

GordonSkywalker
Thanks for your recommendations, Thomas.

finti
Band of Brothers was awesome, Schindlers List though a big zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Never saw the fuzz about Schindler at all and Black and White is a turn off in itself. Most overrated film ever, most overrated story too

BackFire349
it was made in black and white to achieve a historical, documentary type feel. and band of brothers is action based, while schindlers list is a drama, which is why you like band of brothers better.

finti
no I think the historical type is so wasted, people actually belive the world was B/W in those days too like color was invented in the 50`s or something

Thomas H
what?

Corran
He said.

GordonSkywalker
Ahhh!

Fire
guys this thread is not about band of brothers vs schindlers list
it's two different styles

neither "movies" really ment something to me

I think lotr ment most to me as a movie

GordonSkywalker
Point Break once meant something to me. Not anymore though.

finti
Star Wars IV A new Hope ment the world to me once still love it all three of the OT.

BackFire349
yes, but television, and actual video accounts of that time are in black and white. which is the reason for the black and white, to make it look like a real documentary, like it was filmed during that time.

Thomas H
Point Break...isnt that the movie with Keanu Reeves...?? if it is...how can a popcorn movie mean someting!?

GordonSkywalker
Let us say it once meant something but now doesn't.

Augeybana
any movie can mean something just matters of what the person see's in it.

GordonSkywalker
How very philosophical augey. big grin

Augeybana
Yeah in a way Forrest Gump meant something how..

A dumb not too bright guy who's ridiculed in life ends up for a while with the girl of he's dreams famous nice kid and a millionare but people see something differant.

GordonSkywalker
Yes I saw that film at my sister's boyfriend's house once.

Augeybana
Tom Hanks at he's best I say.Won an oscar for it too.

GordonSkywalker
Tom Hanks is excellent. Do any of his other films rank high on your list?

Augeybana
Cast Away yes really long and bad tralier for it but it was very entertaning.And BIg showed us Tom HAnks Wackie side.Laugh my butt off in a league of their own and he's serious side in Philadephia.That's a true actor that can act in anything.

GordonSkywalker
Philidelphia was a fantastic story that moved me.

Augeybana
Yeah it was deep that why their Actor's and actresses with great talent that can do anything like Robert Deniro.Who was ruthless in Goodfellas but funny in Meet The Parents.

GordonSkywalker
Now The Godfather meant a lot to me when I first saw it one lonely and New Year's Eve. That was Godfather III actually, but that is how I got into the Godfather films in the first place. Good stuff. I learned a great deal. wink

finti
thats a double negative which should indicate the opposite big grin
And Castaway zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz crap. I like Tom Hanks but he plays in a lot of crap movies Castaway is one of them Road to Perdition (biggest dissapointment last year)is another

GordonSkywalker
Never saw either. Cast Away didn't look too promising when it came out, but I thought the other one might have potential. Guess I was mistaken....

Augeybana
No it wasn't crap though not like some of he's other movies hey every actor starred in at least one crappy movie.But cast away was cool I love movies like that where they have to find a way to survive.

GordonSkywalker
Point is well taken augey.

Thomas H
Road To Predition was superb!!

GordonSkywalker
Was it really?

Bad Boy
I don't to alarm you Thomas, but half the movies you listed are popcorn movies!

Sünden
An American Tail- Emotions, people, emotions! This movie was stunning in its visuals and story.
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade- It's what animated movies can be. Was there a flaw to the movie?
Pulp Fiction- This is the movie that started movies. It was stylish and funny throughout. Well, the part were Vincent takes out his bosses wife was boring but whatever.
Snatch- A slightly better version of Pulp Ficiton, pretty much. Fast, witty, one of the most well made movies ever. And the soundtrack rocks my boxers.
Monty Python and the Holy Grail- Comedy redefined.

finti
laughing laughing out loud Didnt have the heart to tell him that

BackFire349
nothings wrong with popcorn movies, they are usually the funnest movies tow atch. however, none of them should mean anything to anyone

Thomas H
indeed they are..but BB, the differnce is that I have good popcorn movies.!!..and If people think that black hawk down is a popcorn movie...they surley dont know what movies are!

finti
or popcorn

Thomas H
what?

finti
you see

Dano
ANd a popcorn movie is????

I love to eat popcorn with all movies!!

Bad Boy
A pop corn movie is a slang term for a 'fun' movie where mass that is marketed for mass audiences!

No one said BHD was a popcorn movie (dumb if anyone did)!

And Backfire, why shouldn't a popcorn movie mean anything to anyone???

GordonSkywalker
I agree. The topic question does not specify any qualifications for such movies.

Augeybana
[GS is right WaterWorld could mean something to someone......it's not like it ment anything to me.... whistle

Sünden
It defintly wasn't a popcorn movie. It was a sleepin movie. That was the most boring pointless 2 hours of my life.

finti

Thomas H
but then again Sunden...go watch the teletubies and I guess you get a rush,,,,

finti
dont bash him just cause he dont like your fav film, BHD was good but far from great. I enjoyed We were soldiers better

Sünden
Just my opinion Thomas. I never mean to offend.

finti

Bad Boy
I know! Would I get offended???

I mean, come on!!! Would I get pissed off if someone had a dig at Michael Bay??? Me??? (Backfire!)

Thomas H
anyway...if you like WWS more....that says it all finti!

finti
people like different films I am more intersted in the Vietnam conflict than the Somalia conflict. I just ebnjoyed WWS more. And you who think Bad BOys was a great flick shouldnt talk too loud about says it all

Thomas H
ehhh...Bad Boys is great!

finti
Bad Boys was a piss poor flick

GordonSkywalker
Don't know if it was or not as I never saw it.

finti
you havent missed a thing

GordonSkywalker
All right, I'll take your word for it.

Thomas H
see it gordy!! trust me its a lot of fun!

GordonSkywalker
This is the film with Martin Lawrence?

Thomas H
and Will Smith...and as I said watch it...if you dont like it....start a hate campain against me on this board...with all my blessings!!

GordonSkywalker
That won't be necessary my friend.

finti
it was so wanna be die hard and beverly hills cop

Thomas H
mmm..I am amazed that you like Bev Cop...

Thomas H
ok.,..fintis reply"-I didnt say I like it". ok I said it for ya finti!

finti
indeed you did, Bev Cop was refreshing at the time it came out, werent to many good action flicks in 1985, so Bev Cop and Police Academy 2 ws the refreshing ones, then came Beyond Thunderdome ok music in that one though as in Bev Cop

Thomas H
indeed I did what??

and if you think police academy is good...well the only thing I can say is that there are some unoccupied beds in Sanderud mental hospital...

finti
Police Acadamy was fynny when they came out, maybe when there has been a lot of slapstick comedy they might not be funny. But in 1984 they were funny and they made a lot of money

Thomas H
number one did good with 81,198,894.

number two did ok..55,600,000

number three not to good 43,579,163

number four did bad $28,061,343

number five did very bad 19,510,371

number six did medicore 11,567,217

number seven did so bad it is laughebale...I must laugh!!hahaha

finti
the first two was good the rest sucked, they had played them all out by the two first ones

Corran
Finti, you just like the Blue Oyster Bar.

finti
Thats why you looked so familliare Cor, you was one of them gay bikers

Corran
yes, the one you fancied actually.

finti
I fancied Kim Cattrall then

Thomas H
haha

Corran
Yes didn't we all.

finti
guess so

Corran
with the exception of the Ladies, oh and Tex.

finti
indeed, guess some ladies did though

Thomas H
she is beatifull, considering her age!

GordonSkywalker
She was also in Star Trek VI as Mr Spock's former student. And some other stuff.

Corran
She is completely dirty in Sex in the City too.

finti
never saw that

Corran
It's a TV series that shown, don't you get it?

Thomas H
he probably do.,..

Julie
I've never seen an episode of that show....

finti
ok same here

Corran
It's quite good when you get into it.

GordonSkywalker
Never seen the show but am aware of it featuring her just the same.

finti
nah dont think Im gonna watch it

GordonSkywalker
Probably for the best.

Augeybana
Yeah that show was only for women It was very boring and stupid.

GordonSkywalker
Yes it was. I have never seen such a display of anti-morals on tv before...except for Jerry Springer or MTV.

Augeybana
Yeah Jerry The worst though I can't believe it still on regular T.V

GordonSkywalker
Actually I remember they flew Springer in to MTV's Spring Break like three years in a row or something!

Augeybana
Yeah I heard a 3 kids made a lie a pretened to have a love triangle and fought just to get on that show they admitted that it was a lie.

GordonSkywalker
Yes heard that one too. I am suprised at the shock tactics he uses on his show and at MTV. But then he seemed to fit right in with all the others there.What a waste of programming....

Augeybana
Yeah and in the end of each episode he makes a sappy speech to pretend to be care.

GordonSkywalker
Seen that bit of dramatic climax before. roll eyes (sarcastic)

preston mullins
My ex-girlfriend used to make me watch 'Sex in the City' with her. It's not bad because they show boobs and stuff, not that not showing boobs is good, it's just that when you're watching a show just to please your girlfriend, it makes it easier to bare when there's boobs.

BackFire349
dont lie, showing boobs is very good.

GordonSkywalker
Hahahahaha!

buffymitch
Twister showed me the power of nature
Moulin Rouge made me really believe in love
X-men HAs special meaning for me because i always feel like a mutant
TOmd RAider Lara Croft gave me a lot of self confidence (don't ask)
Gladiator thaught me about honor which is really important

Kes
The empire strikes back--- was the 1st film i saw that made me want to see it again and again!It also introduced me to star wars , which at that point i had never heard of!
Silence of the lambs----was the 1st time i apreciated good acting.Also great story.
The english patient---was the 1st time i was pulling for a movie, at the oscars, that i had never seen and wasn't disapointed!Love the fact that they actully kill her!
Nell---was the 1st time I saw a movie with an hold story thats actually good and not cliched! Great acting 2!
Saving private ryan--- the only war movie i like and i dont know why!kinda big but!
The sixth sence----the 1st movie with a twist that actually surprised me and made sence. Also taught (sp) me that music can turn a somewhat normal scene to a hair rising scene.
The exorcist---the 1st horror (if you can call it that) that i saw. Boring as hell and not really scary. Basacly (sp) it taught me that classic doesn't always mean good and how idiotic a movie can be.

I think thats it!

ChinaNiki
The Final Solution
Eye On The Prize
Paradise Road
A League of Their Own

chica16
LOTR---somethin about classic good vs. evil movies make me feel good lol, my fav movies of all time can't wait for ROTK...
ET---i bawled like a baby first time i saw this and i was just... gone for about 2 weeks
The Matrix---the first time I left a movie theater thinkin what the &#$@ just happened ???

Godshinto
Full Metal Jacket was one of my favorites it had a deeper meaning than any other movie I had seen before it, not after though.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.