INTERSTELLAR (Christopher Nolan)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Patient_Leech
Looks to be Nolan's next film...

Christoper Nolan Heads Into Space With 'Interstellar'

I'll certainly be interested enough to keep my eye on this, but I'm always iffy when there's "time travel" involved in films. It can work, but it can also be unnecessarily confusing.

Lord Lucien
As long as you have a MacGuffin to explain it all, everything should be fine. For some reason I'm kinda wary about future Nolan works and the possibility he runs out of ideas and starts leaking in devices from his previous films. Something strange and complex like this might inadvertently lift from Inception.

They both begin with the same two letters, so I'm pretty worried.

Patient_Leech
I see what you mean. I'm not a big fan of Inception, personally. But I'm still excited about the proposition of Nolan doing a space adventure film.

Patient_Leech
Look who's joined the cast for this film (John Lithgow). And apparently they begin filming August 6, 2013.

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/bucketpics09/John-Lithgow-02_zpsd2d01d1e.jpg

COG Veteran
Yayyy!!! Finally a sci-fi film that isn't a brainless reboot or sequel!

Patient_Leech
Yeah, but knowing Nolan, he'll probably make it unnecessarily and irritatingly convoluted.

COG Veteran
It's been a while since i've seen a good mind-twisting movie, shit can't remember the last one I saw. But i'm up for the scientific theories the movie will explore.

Vensai
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Yeah, but knowing Nolan, he'll probably make it unnecessarily and irritatingly convoluted.
And there will be some mind twisting ending that leaves more questions than answers.

COG Veteran
Originally posted by Vensai
And there will be some mind twisting ending that leaves more questions than answers.

Better than some generic predictable ending we get with most of nowdays trash sci-fi films that end with large explosions and trying to make us care for characters that they never develped.

Patient_Leech
Some potentially spoilery things. Something about a spaceship crash and a "Mother Ship."

click

http://img.moviepilot.com/assets/tarantulaV2/article_images/1378729346_interstellar.jpg

Esau Cairn
Y'know one way to make aliens angry would be to nickname their ships, "Mother Ship."

Dolos
"Snow White in space."?

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Dolos
"Snow White in space."?
Nah, I think that's supposed to be the new Wachowskis Siblings' movie in production now, Jupiter Ascending.

jaden101

I'll certainly be interested enough to keep my eye on this, but I'm always iffy when there's "time travel" involved in films. It can work, but it can also be unnecessarily confusing.

Don't watch Primer if you haven't already. That is one mind-boggling time travel film.

BruceSkywalker
Looks to be Nolan's next film...

Christoper Nolan Heads Into Space With 'Interstellar'

I am looking forward to this film..

I know about and completely understand wormholes

cast seems to be pretty good.. Knowing Nolan, he will deliver

Patient_Leech
Man, the trailers are cumming hard and fast recently (kind of like my sex skills shifty ). There's a bit of a teaser out now...

ar68Lrth790&feature=youtu.be

...some 2001: A Space Odyssey ideas might be coming on.

(Imp: maybe move this to the Movie Discussion forum so it gets more attention?)

jaden101
Intriguing. Very political trailer. True that we've taken several steps back with pioneering travel/space technology in recent years with the retirement of Concorde and the space shuttles.

BruceSkywalker
Man, the trailers are cumming hard and fast recently (kind of like my sex skills shifty ). There's a bit of a teaser out now...

ar68Lrth790&feature=youtu.be

...some 2001: A Space Odyssey ideas might be coming on.

(Imp: maybe move this to the Movie Discussion forum so it gets more attention?)

good trailer, im glad nothing is revealed

Patient_Leech
Not too exciting, but new poster...

http://images.moviepilot-cdn.com/check-out-this-teaser-poster-for-christopher-nolan-s-interstellar-7d9baaa1-0145-4d70-8ec4-75cde16ea40e.webp?width=570&height=845

siriuswriter
God, but I love me some Nolan movie-hype.

jaden101
zSWdZVtXT7E

Lord Lucien
A single father must risk his life and leave his children behind to save the world. Ugh.

I hope the scenes with the family are mercifully brief. It sounds promising otherwise.

BruceSkywalker
looking forward to seeing this..

Tzeentch
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
A single father must risk his life and leave his children behind to save the world. Ugh.

I hope the scenes with the family are mercifully brief. It sounds promising otherwise. So is it that you children, or single fathers, or...?

Patient_Leech
Trailer is intriguing. A good subject to bring up. Like I said before it is looking like it might be a 2001-esque theme. But with a Nolan spin, of course.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Tzeentch
So is it that you hate children, or single fathers, or...? FTFY.

I hate interesting concepts like this one being slowed down and tired out with tripe like this. I get that they introduce the family element to make us like and relate to the main character, but if that's all they can think of to elicit the desired response, then I don't hold out hope for the rest of the screenplay. This actually seems like a film that would be better off exploring the concept and consequences of its exploration, rather than on the character. Like that Europa Report movie. Which still managed to have decent characters.

jaden101
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
FTFY.

I hate interesting concepts like this one being slowed down and tired out with tripe like this. I get that they introduce the family element to make us like and relate to the main character, but if that's all they can think of to elicit the desired response, then I don't hold out hope for the rest of the screenplay. This actually seems like a film that would be better off exploring the concept and consequences of its exploration, rather than on the character. Like that Europa Report movie. Which still managed to have decent characters.

Family was the motivation for Di Caprio's character in Inception but was only touched upon and hardly took away from the inventiveness and originality of that. I don't think it'll have too much of a negative impact on this either. It's a simple mechanism to use that then allows other themes to be explored without having to give much time or focus to the motivation of the characters.

Lord Lucien
Exactly, I hope it's a minor aspect of the film, instead of the driving focal point that eats up screen time. It's something that can still be a key motivator for the protagonist, but let us feel that motivation through the character's thoughts and experiences, rather than through expository/plot-driving scenes of the family. I really think that focusing too heavily on that part will detract from the point of the film.

WildBantha88
Nolan please don't give us a load of crap like TDKR...please im begging you

BruceSkywalker
looking forward to seeing some wormholes

Lestov16
Been looking forward to this since Spielberg was attached, and saw the trailer at Godzilla. It looks like Gravity, but actually entertaining, or 2001, only without aliens. Can't wait.

dynamix
definitely gave me a 2001 vibe. really excited for this!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.