Zero Dark Thirty

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Martin
This shit was surprisingly really, really good.

Dolos
So badass, how they infiltrated the big man UBL; sent an elite spec ops squad in there in a stealth chopper; how the ops group went in there and cleanly dealt with the primitive defenses; disected terrorist info; shot the big man; took his body for conformation while snapping photos with their iphone; and flew out just as efficiently before the paki military could intercept them.

That CIA girl was young, she had balls, and that's why she was able to do what she did. Makes me wanna sing CIA Man!

Who can kill a general in his bed? Overthrow dictators when they're red? Who has got the secretist seervice!? The one that makes the other service nervous? Cia-man!

Though, she was pretty distraught when it all ended, I don't blame her.

Darth Martin
One thing I have a problem with, and this isn't I guess to fault the film but, say, the operation was how can you be stealthy when you fly not one, but two loud ass helicopters over the guys compound?

Dolos
Originally posted by Darth Martin
One thing I have a problem with, and this isn't I guess to fault the film but, say, the operation was how can you be stealthy when you fly not one, but two loud ass helicopters over the guys compound?

Unlike those epically muffled rifles, you can't silence a HELICOPTER.

But don't forget that it flew right atop the house, and CRASHED, and the sorounding neighborhood STILL didn't notice until they started blowing down the doors which made the dogs bark. Though, the residents probably noticed they were under attack when the helicopter got sand and crashed.

Ascendancy
I take it that it's a Traffic/Syriana type of thing? A lot of build up, with action punctuating it here and there?

ThePainefulTrut
Originally posted by Dolos
So badass, how they infiltrated the big man UBL; sent an elite spec ops squad in there in a stealth chopper; how the ops group went in there and cleanly dealt with the primitive defenses; disected terrorist info; shot the big man; took his body for conformation while snapping photos with their iphone; and flew out just as efficiently before the paki military could intercept them.

That CIA girl was young, she had balls, and that's why she was able to do what she did. Makes me wanna sing CIA Man!

Who can kill a general in his bed? Overthrow dictators when they're red? Who has got the secretist seervice!? The one that makes the other service nervous? Cia-man!

Though, she was pretty distraught when it all ended, I don't blame her.

I don't think she was distraught, just shedding 12 years of tension, reflecting on justice finally being served, and she was proven right for keeping the CIA on the target!

They did say those were low noise helos. And it did all actually happen that way. In fact, the operation was very close to being portrayed in real time (38 min.).

The ONLY fault with the movie was not rolling "Courtesy of The Red, White and Blue" with the credits.

Darth Martin
Originally posted by Ascendancy
I take it that it's a Traffic/Syriana type of thing? A lot of build up, with action punctuating it here and there? More or less, yes. I have not seen either of the movies you speak of but your description does fit the movie in question.

It's not an action film. Don't go in expecting such. It creates an undeniable sense of suspense though and there were a few times were
I was surprised.

This might be the best film I've seen since TDKR.

ThePainefulTrut
I thought this excerpt from Jessica Chastain's acceptance of the Golden Globe for best actress was very interesting:

It looked, as she was making her way to the stage, like she was saying "Oh God" over and over again.

"...To the great, great Amy Pascal (Sony Pictures Chairman) for protecting our film; Mark Boal for writing a strong, capable independent woman that stands on her own; and to Katheryn Bigelow, my director. I can't help but compare my character of Maya to you--two powerful, fearless women who allow their expert work to stand before them. You've said that film making for you is not about gender roles; but when you make a film that allows your character to disobey the conventions of Hollywood, you've done more for women in cinema than you take credit for."

George Clooney was the presenter, standing by while she made her comments. She turned to him as she was leaving and spoke, but he only smiled weakly.

trailerstash

trashau
It is a very nice move. Zero dark thirty story based on a girl who is working as a spy. That movie is full of thrill.

roughrider
Just saw it last night. Draining, wrenching, and finally nail biting; that's what I was feeling in my seat last night, even knowing the eventual outcome. Films in the past it relates to for me, I think of classic 1970's thrillers like The French Connection and All the President's Men. Much of the film is the characters groping in the dark to solve a giant puzzle, not even knowing which pieces fit and where. Until they finally get a picture forming and it becomes laser focused to the end.

It makes for an interesting contrast with Ben Affleck's Argo, which has some stylish similarities but is wrapped up in a more formulaic package, complete with bow. By the end of this, we're left to ponder the implications ourselves; justice finally served, or a Pyrrhic victory?

Supra
This movie was bad ass

SpaceMonkey
Chastain's performance was good, but not great. It was highly overrated. Claire Danes plays this character, PLUS some psychological problems, every week on Homeland.

The movie itself was good, not great, but definitely good.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.