Disney Confirms Standalone Star Wars Films

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

focus4chumps
well it seems all these rumors of standalone SW films may not have been baseless.

http://www.slashfilm.com/disney-confirms-standalone-star-wars-films-may-be-released-between-new-core-episodes/

this doesn't confirm or deny specific rumors, be it a 7-samurai plot or the newest rumor of an all-yoda film, but certainly blows the doors of possibility wide open.

Imaginary
Oh wow. Does this mean Yoda finally gets a species?!

juggernaut74
I'm guessing Boba Fett is going to get a movie.

Kazenji
Originally posted by juggernaut74
I'm guessing Boba Fett is going to get a movie.

Joe Johnston was interested in doing one but at the time he had to go to Lucas.

Lord Lucien
If Boba gets a movie, it needs to start with him flying out of the Sarlaac with an "I'm back, b*tches!"

Robtard
Star Wars Origins: Yoda

I just can't visualize that being good.

Robtard
Supposedly it's young Han Solo and Boba Fett standalone films:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/02/06/star-wars-spin-offs-young-han-solo-movie-boba-fett/

Gambler
Originally posted by Robtard
Supposedly it's young Han Solo and Boba Fett standalone films:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/02/06/star-wars-spin-offs-young-han-solo-movie-boba-fett/

Aren't there million books written about either of those two? But I wouldn't mind a Boba Fett movie. Crawling out of Sarlaac pit could be one of the most anticipated scenes in history of sci-fi movies.

Robtard
There's already the prequel of what happened while he's in the Sarlacc.

Kazenji
I know Disney has said they won't be using EU related stuff but i think they should use some of it

use this for the Han Solo movie

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Han_Solo_Trilogy

Imaginary
Yoda is one of the few characters that hasn't got the backstory treatment in the EU. Maybe it's because they figured it wouldn't sell... In which case, that doesn't bode well for a potential feature film.

focus4chumps
was hoping for something divorced from the trilogies and it's characters....along the same train of thought as tales of the jedi. that 7 samurai rumor made me fangirl squeel...oh well

not looking forward to the young han solo chronicles or touring yoda's hood.

Kazenji
Time to see yoda's bar mitzvah.

Darth Martin
Mannnn.......

**** Disney.

Kazenji

DARTH POWER
They could easily have Darth Vader crop up in the Boba Fett films..

focus4chumps
yeah. lets just rehash old characters and create nothing new. imagination and creativity are so 1970's.

RedShift
Originally posted by focus4chumps
yeah. lets just rehash old characters and create nothing new. imagination and creativity are so 1970's.
There was never really much creativity to begin with. They're just trying less to hide it. Plus if they get a good cast and writer there's a good chance they can make a good movie. It'd be better than anything Lucas has put out in the last 15 years anyway.

DARTH POWER

Well they're doing a 7,8 and 9 which will obviously all be new stuff with new main characters.

But don't you want to see the classic characters as long as they're done right?

Jedi Sheriff
Originally posted by Robtard
There's already the prequel of what happened while he's in the Sarlacc.

Watchoo talkin' bout, Robtard?

focus4chumps
Originally posted by RedShift
There was never really much creativity to begin with.

im just going to assume for your benefit that you are referring to the PT.

Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Well they're doing a 7,8 and 9 which will obviously all be new stuff with new main characters.

But don't you want to see the classic characters as long as they're done right?

7,8,&9 will have some new characters of course, but its going to most likely be an extension of the OT, bringing back a congo-line old characters.

i had hoped that they would use these standalone films to breath new life into the SW universe.
boba fett and han solo were 'done right' 30 years ago.

DARTH POWER

i had hoped that they would use these standalone films to breath new life into the SW universe.
boba fett and han solo were 'done right' 30 years ago.

Well to be fair Boba Fett hardly appeared in those movies.

And of course fans would want more Han Solo. The guy was one of the most iconic characters in movie history.

Also after ANH he wasn't really involved in much action. His story basically became a love story. And his role in ROTJ really was minimal for a main character.

focus4chumps

Also after ANH he wasn't really involved in much action.

no expression

Ushgarak
It's certainly true that Han had northing interesting to do in ROTJ- getting rescued had him in comedy mode, and then he just turned into generic soldier guy; he felt less like a distinct character than in the previous two films. Harrison Ford was probably right in saying they should have killed him. That would have been great drama.

focus4chumps
that " no expression " was posted with ESB in mind.

queeq
Where Han Solo was superb.

Robtard
Originally posted by Jedi Sheriff
Watchoo talkin' bout, Robtard?

mo10xiHvR_c

DARTH POWER
that " no expression " was posted with ESB in mind.

He was awesome in that movie. Just not in much action. His story revolved around the love story with Leia.

focus4chumps
until luke landed on bespin, han WAS the action. really i dont know what you're on about.

DARTH POWER
You really don't know what I'm talking about?

Did you see Han shooting many storm troopers or attacking the AT-AT's fighting alongside the rebels? Yes he was flying the Falcon trying to escape the Imperials. Point is compared to ANH he didn't get off his ass much.

But still his role was awesome in that movie. He was just too cool. In ROTJ he didn't even show much of that.

focus4chumps
You really don't know what I'm talking about?

Did you see Han shooting many storm troopers or attacking the AT-AT's fighting alongside the rebels?

is that the rule you applied? so i guess spending half the film being chased by the imperial fleet and attempted assassination of darth vader doesnt count as "action"?

Did you see Han shooting many storm troopers or attacking the AT-AT's fighting alongside the rebels? Yes he was flying the Falcon trying to escape the Imperials. Point is compared to ANH he didn't get off his ass much.

what do you mean "off his ass"? are you resting on the technicality that han is sitting down while piloting the falcon?

Sadako of Girth
And the whole asteroid chase, cave/blaster/mynock things..getting frozen..

roughrider
You think by the time Disney has squeezed the Star Wars *** dry until it's purple...all the fans will be begging for George Lucas to return?(Forgive us, George! stick out tongue )

focus4chumps
no

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by roughrider
You think by the time Disney has squeezed the Star Wars *** dry until it's purple...all the fans will be begging for George Lucas to return?(Forgive us, George! stick out tongue ) Disney squeezing Star Wars' t*ts dry will be no different than George Lucas squeezing Star Wars' t*ts dry. Only difference is that Disney has proven competent at movie making, while Lucas has not. Things can literally only can get better.

DARTH POWER
is that the rule you applied? so i guess spending half the film being chased by the imperial fleet and attempted assassination of darth vader doesnt count as "action"?

Yes it does. And those scenes were all full of excitement. But it wasn't even close to half the movie. The big action scenes were the battle on Hoth and the Lightsaber fight including the escape from Cloud City.

All I'm saying is I wouldn't mind seeing a lot more Han Solo action. Kicking some storm trooper and bounty hunter ass. As long as he's cast right, and the movie is done well. If not then leave the legend that is Han Solo alone.

juggernaut74
Well watching Good Morning America they just announced that they are indeed making a Han Solo and Boba Fett standalone film.

Sadako of Girth
Cool...!

DARTH POWER
Well watching Good Morning America they just announced that they are indeed making a Han Solo and Boba Fett standalone film.

Awesome! That's like my childhood dream come true.

Is it 2 different movies? One for Solo and one for Boba? Would be a bit strange making a movie about a Villain.

juggernaut74
Awesome! That's like my childhood dream come true.

Is it 2 different movies? One for Solo and one for Boba? Would be a bit strange making a movie about a Villain. I don't watch GMA that often as it was just a lucky random channel turn but the lady(blonde) did say they were making separate Han Solo and Boba Fett films. I figure that's as close to an official statement as we have so far.

focus4chumps

if its a single han solo/boba fett movie, that could be interesting as they both seemd to have had a history. if they are made as seperate films then this is just disney acting the part of carrion eater.

juggernaut74
They are separate films. I'm more excited for a Boba solo film personally. Granted he's portrayed as a villain in the OT but in the scheem of things bounty hunters work for the highest bidder so in theory Boba can do some good deeds.

Lord Lucien
If they do a film on Boba hopefully they'll actually portray bounty hunters as bounty hunters, not assassins.

focus4chumps
ok, here's the post from the official site:

http://starwars.com/news/new-spinoff-films-set-to-expand-the-star-wars-galaxy.html

for those who missed it:

i think this statement offers the possibility that the han solo/boba fett/yoda film rumors are BS. oh god please be true.

Kazenji
I'd be more excited for a Boba Fett more then the others

ring up Joe Johnston since he was up for doing it.

Gambler
ok, here's the post from the official site:

http://starwars.com/news/new-spinoff-films-set-to-expand-the-star-wars-galaxy.html

for those who missed it:

i think this statement offers the possibility that the han solo/boba fett/yoda film rumors are BS. oh god please be true.

"We are in development of a few standalone films," he said, "that are not part of the Star Wars saga..."

Hmmm. Everything in SW is part of SW saga, even if it doesn't involve the main characters. Is Crimson Empire and soon-to-be-deleted from continuity SW Clone Wars animated TV show Star Wars saga? KotOR is SW saga as well. Just because Luke Skywalker isn't aware of trillion of other beings that exist parallel to his existence, doesn't mean they are not of SW universe, and thus SW saga.

Are they implying that they will make "what if" movies, that are part of parallel universe? Like Spiderman movies etc.? We don't need that shit.

Ushgarak
That's clearly not the definition of 'saga' they are using, which is following the continuity of the films and the characters within. So, no, they are not implying anything of the sort.

DARTH POWER
Wait..

So no Han Solo and Chewbacca racing around in the Millenium Falcon kicking the crap out of Stormtroopers and Bounty Hunters, charming the ladies and thinking up get rich fast schemes?

Damn it!

focus4chumps
as ush said, to be part of the saga means to be part of the trilogies' story. not sure if i agree that characters of the films are/aren't included in that by default. i just see the very really possibility that (please god) we will not have to see disney feed on boba/han/yoda's carcasses.

if they have no consequence toward events of the films, and its all about their own story...then technically i suppose they could be considered outside the saga. i hope that's not the case though. if it IS the case, disney worded that statement poorly.

its confusing, and i hope they make it clear soon.

Col. Valerian
It's really hard to figure out what the hell the movies will be about.

Robtard
Originally posted by Kazenji
I'd be more excited for a Boba Fett more then the others

He's overall a villain, so I'm not sure how portraying him as an antihero in a standalone film would come off. He's already angry from a very young age, so the good-guy-turns-bad due to circumstance (eg Vader, Magneto) probably wouldn't fly either.

I can much more see a young Han and Boba film, imo.

Sadako of Girth
Star Wars:"The tears of a clone"

You heard it here first folks... stick out tongue

Robtard
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Star Wars:"The tears of a clone"

You heard it here first folks... stick out tongue

http://media2.firstshowing.net/firstshowing/img7/starwars-attackoftheclones-bobafett-full2.jpg

Sadako of Girth
Opening scroll starts middles and ends with "Boba is Butthurt. LULZ"

Cue 6-7 hours of awesome scifi fantasy opus.

Darth Banus
I would love to see a Yoda back story but then who would be the main villain? maybe a dark Jedi or 2..? prob wouldn't convert well into a movie, but a cool opportunity to explore his origins.

Definitely a Vader movie between ROS & ANH!!! I am aware there is EU novels for this period but make something new all together, if anyone could sell its Vader! CRAZY but i would be ampt if they could show mace surviving his fall and coming out to confront the dark lord as the main climax! not to leaky of a plot, well for me anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a master plan to redo the OT after 789 and some of these side projects were lead in's to that.

Jedi Sheriff
Originally posted by Darth Banus
I wouldn't be surprised if there is a master plan to redo the OT after 789 and some of these side projects were lead in's to that.

I was thinking the same thing recently. I think there could be a good chance of this.

focus4chumps
they should reboot the PT. pull the chain.

queeq
Why do so many people want a BACK story??? What is so fun about a movie the explains the movies you've already seen and enjoyed. I just want a good story, period, one that starts, gets me involved and takes me somewhere unknown. Back stories don't do that (you know where they go), lots of actions doesn't do that (see: Michael Bay), but good characters and good writers do.

If they do a Han Solo - Boba movie, they'd better make the very ultimate best they can, because again: we know how it ends.

And I think saying that they're not part of the saga means: no more Skywalkers. As Lucas said: that story is over.

Although... one thing I certainly wouldn't mind seeing is Mark Hamill in a Luke-version of the old mentor.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.