Old Jedi ghosts in new trilogy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

OB1-adobe
You know it just occurred to me.

Ewan and Sam Jackson have expressed interest in returning (as least thats what I hear).

Hayden coming back as ghost Anakin playing scenes next to an old mark Hamill?

I wonder what people would think about that?

focus4chumps
what a horrible idea

Lord Lucien
Absolutely dreadful idea.

-Pr-
No thanks.

Though I would love to see Ewan and SLJ back.

dadudemon
Originally posted by OB1-adobe

I like this idea quite a bit. Though I would not want the new trilogy to focus on something like that. Just a counseling session or very brief cameo...or something.

Ushgarak
Hey, if done right, this is obviously an awesome thing.

Actually I'd like to see QGJ back. First just to see him again- one of the gems of the PT- but also because it would confirm that you can never really kill Liam Neeson, in any role.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Hey, if done right, this is obviously an awesome thing.

Actually I'd like to see QGJ back. First just to see him again- one of the gems of the PT- but also because it would confirm that you can never really kill Liam Neeson, in any role.

laughing

focus4chumps
yeah sure, qgj ghost. then he can face the forth wall, wave his hand, and say "you want to see the theater manager and get your money back".

Ushgarak
Pfft, misery-boots. I love this kind of thing.

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by focus4chumps
yeah sure, qgj ghost. then he can face the forth wall, wave his hand, and say "you want to see the theater manager and get your money back".

Dude are you on here 24/7?

focus4chumps
yeah totally dude. 24/7. how relevant.

i might be able to stomach yoda ghost so long as he looked like he did when he died, not PT cartoon yoda.

Gambler
Please, nothing that would remind us of the prequels!!!

Robtard

Ewan and Sam Jackson have expressed interest in returning (as least thats what I hear).

While I can see something of the sort happening, to pay homage and appease fans. I'm personally hoping for the new films to separate themselves from EP1-6. New characters all around with their own stories.

Maybe throw an easter egg here and there, like C3PO's leg in the corner of a room. Nothing glaring like Anakin's ghost telling old fat Luke he's still sorry for being a dead beat dad and how he cherishes the time they spent together killing the Emperor.

focus4chumps
Originally posted by Robtard
fat Luke

there it is again. the elephant in the living room.

Sadako of Girth
*Luke delivers mocking ass salute to remainder of empire on fly by*

Stormtrooper witnessing said japery:

"Thats no moon....." shifty

-Pr-
Ewan flat out stated on twitter that if they're going to have Obi Wan in the new movies, he'd rather it be him than someone else playing the role.

DARTH POWER
Ewan and Yoda would be nice.

But please no Hayden calling a 60+ years old Hamill "My Son."

And no SLJ. What's the point? Just for the sake of making ties to the prequels? Leave it.

-Pr-
Because he's Samuel L Jackson, that's why.

Gambler
Originally posted by -Pr-
Because he's Samuel L Jackson, that's why.

You are confusing Tarantino's SLJ with SW SLJ. He was useless as a Jedi, and it's better if Mace Windu is decorating a concrete sidewalk in lower Cosruscant.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Robtard
While I can see something of the sort happening, to pay homage and appease fans. I'm personally hoping for the new films to separate themselves from EP1-6. New characters all around with their own stories.

Maybe throw an easter egg here and there, like C3PO's leg in the corner of a room. Nothing glaring like Anakin's ghost telling old fat Luke he's still sorry for being a dead beat dad and how he cherishes the time they spent together killing the Emperor. This.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Gambler
You are confusing Tarantino's SLJ with SW SLJ. He was useless as a Jedi, and it's better if Mace Windu is decorating a concrete sidewalk in lower Cosruscant.

I liked him as Mace, tbh.

Lord Lucien
I liked him as Mace, tbh. Blech. It was a horrible miscast of such a good SLJ. We'll never get the warranty on it now.

Gambler
I liked him as Mace, tbh.

Maybe you were influenced by books and comic books? Anyway, I respect your opinion.

Ushgarak
Somehow those two sentences appear to contradict...

focus4chumps
let sleeping jedi lie, i say.

queeq
even the falling Jedi

C-3POTheClever
I hope they don't reprise their roles. For continueity's sake, I hate the idea of Ewan returning! It would look weird, for Obi Wan to still be a Force Ghost, but for him to look different from what he did in Episodes 4-6, unless they give an explanation, maybe he chose to go back to looking like his younger self. I personally hope we don't get Obi Wan or as a Ghost. I don't see why it would come in nessasery, unless Luke's the main character (which I honestly hope he isn't) I wouldn't mind so much if they use Hayden Christianso as Anakin though.
But if they use Ewan, it wouldn't look right next to the OT. Tey'd end up having to make a special edition where they cut-out Allec Guiness in the OT & replace him with Ewan, which would be kinda disrespectful to Alec Guness, but I'd rather that, than a massave continueity erros. I absalutly loath continueity eros entirely. That's why I like a lot of the SE changes so much!

focus4chumps
if they have ewan in old man makeup i will not see this film unless downloaded in an illegal fashion.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Blech. It was a horrible miscast of such a good SLJ. We'll never get the warranty on it now.

you felt he would have been better used in a different role? Or that he should have simply been better written?

Originally posted by Gambler
Maybe you were influenced by books and comic books? Anyway, I respect your opinion.

I do like him from the books/comics/shows/games, but I liked him before that too. The man beheaded a Fett and knocked the emperor on his ass. Even if Anakin sucker-sabered him, that was still pretty impressive.

==

I honestly don't mind either way if they bring them back or want to use something fresh. If they DO decide to bring back Mace or Obi-Wan though, I would like to see them portrayed by their original actors.

I just find it odd that we know so little about Episode 7's plot right now.

Ushgarak
I assume that's because it doesn't exist. I wouldn't mind it being pushed back actually.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Ushgarak
I assume that's because it doesn't exist. I wouldn't mind it being pushed back actually.

I'm curious to see what Abrams and co are coming up with; I just hope it's good star wars. That's all I want.

Lord Lucien
you felt he would have been better used in a different role? Or that he should have simply been better written? Mace Windu as a character is... an okay idea. A wise, calm, stern, master who still comes as of as totally pimpin'. Of course, he (along with absolutely everything else in the Prequels) needs to be totally rewritten so he's not boring and disappointing. But Sam Jackson is not that kind of actor. There are plenty of other black actors out there that could pull of Mace Windu, but SLJ just doesn't fit. He should be the crazy, renegade badass who does things his way. He should have been the older, ass-kicking military captain, or smuggler, or criminal, or cop that Obi-Wan is friends with or something. Just not a Jedi.

Honestly I'd rather SLJ just wasn't in Star Wars.

queeq
I agree... they gave him a boring character.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Lord Lucien

Honestly I'd rather SLJ just wasn't in Star Wars.

It was just being nice to SLJ who was literally begging to be in the movie. His fan boy dreams were met well beyond his expectations when Lucas made him the No.2 Jedi right behind Yoda.

But yeah the actual character really didn't bring anything to SW, except help highlight how blind the Jedi were.

Episode I

SLJ: "I do not believe the Sith could have returned without us knowing.."

Liam Neeson: "Urm I kind of saw one and fought him.."

Episode 2

Natalie Portman: "I think Count Dooku is behind this"

SLJ: "Nah trust me my old pal Dooku's cool.."

Episode 3:

SLJ: "I sense the dark side of the force surrounding Chancellor Palpatine.."

Anakin: "The Chancellor is a Sith Lord"

SLJ: "A Sith Lord?? Are you sure?? I mean are you really sure? Because Dude seriously that makes no sense!"

Lord Lucien
Episode 3:

"Just gonna slowly prep for a big swing to kill Palpatine. Extending my arm a couple of inches just wouldn't be epic enough"

Darth Thor
Well if this is true then it'd be pretty easy (by comparison) to have the Alec Guiness Obi-Wan force ghost come back:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/aug/24/star-wars-rogue-one-to-resurrect-peter-cushing-via-cgi-despite-slipper-issues

I believe they did something similar for Superman Returns giving Marlon Brando new lines.

JediRobin23
Can't have Obiwan come back...there's no Alec Guinness
Can't have anakin come back...there's no Sebastian shaw
There's the blu ray edition Hayden, but yes, that is a stupid idea....as his force ghost is good anakin.

Qui gon, totally can return. He was the first to learn the path to immortality so that would make sense....

Can't have Mace come back, as he didn't learn the path to immortality.

Yoda would definitely be cool to return.....

JediRobin23
Perhaps yoda could explain how to force was sleeping the whole time.....

queeq
And then what? Hardly anyone in the new trilogy knows these guys? So if ghosts would appear, it'd be Luke having a cosy pow-wow with his ghostly pals in a cave somewhere? Nah... ghosts are done.

The only one entitled to appear as a ghost one day is Luke.

Darth Thor
Well I'm sure we'd know by now if they(any of the OT Ghosts) were in it. No matter how secretive Abrams is.

Darth Luminous
There's the blu ray edition Hayden

Hayden was added to the DVDs and the Blu-rays.

but yes, that is a stupid idea....as his force ghost is good anakin.

??? Good Anakin is what you'd be getting in an Anakin Force ghost, whether that was represented by Hayden or Shaw.

queeq
Good Anakin? When was there a good Anakin?

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by queeq
Good Anakin? When was there a good Anakin? "Mom, you always said the biggest problem in the world is that nobody helps each other."

Tell me those aren't the words of a fundamentally good man being read by a sub-par child actor.

queeq
That was a kid talking, repeating what his mom said. I'm sure Anakin's mom was good.

Anakin was bad when we met him in AOTC. That was what he was from the moment he started thinking by himself.

Darth Luminous
Good Anakin? When was there a good Anakin?

Prior to turning to the dark side. In SW turning to the dark side is a thing. But JediRobin23 was the one who used the phrase "good Anakin". What makes Shaw "good Anakin"?

Anakin was bad when we met him in AOTC.

No.

That happens earlier than you apparently believe.

queeq
Shaw was the redeemed Anakin, the one that decided, for once in his live, to make a good decision.

And how can you say Anakin was not bad in AOTC? From the first moment we see him he is arrogant, disobedient, self-centred, whiny, annoyed, unbalanced, emotional, dismissive of his peers and mentor, ambitious to be elevated from all others... the seeds of evil are all there. I didn't see any 'goodness', I didn't see a hero to cheer for. Just an arrogant, selfish and power-hungry brat... in other words: Vader without the mask.

There was no need to turn, Anakin had already turned when he reached adolescence.

Darth Thor
From the first moment we see him he is arrogant, disobedient, self-centred, whiny, annoyed, unbalanced, emotional, dismissive of his peers and mentor, ambitious to be elevated from all others... the seeds of evil are all there.

That's like most teenagers tbh. Hardly evidence of an Evil man to be. Most of those Whiny and Bratty teenagers mature a few years on. And Anakin certainly seemed to have done so by the beginning of ROTS Imo.

His killing of the Tusken Raiders in AOTC is the better evidence of his Evilness to be. But I'm not sure how much above animals Tusken Raiders are considered, if at all. Still bad obviously.

But the Clone Wars has certainly helped with my perception of him. So I do feel he did grow, from a whiny brat with a violent temper into a hero willing to sacrifice himself for others, during the gap between AOTC and ROTS.

That might just be me though.

Darth Luminous
There was no need to turn, Anakin had already turned when he reached adolescence.

An arrogant person not pledged to the dark side and someone fully turned to the dark side are very different things. Arrogant and disobedient is not synonymous with "bad", unless you're a parent lecturing a child.

Shaw was the redeemed Anakin, the one that decided, for once in his live, to make a good decision.

There's really no redemption in SW per se; in this context redemption is basically code for returning to the light side. Anakin's ghost as Hayden represents the last time he was on the light side, his problems notwithstanding.

queeq
The point is: from the very beginning of AOTC there is no character CHANGE in Anakin. The Tusken killing is just an act from his will and attitude he displays from the moment we meet him AOTC. In the Tusken scene he ACTS upon it, showing us therefore that he's already gone. And he remains unchanged from that moment on.

What it basically comes down to is that it's very bad character writing for the 'best pilot in the galaxy', 'a good friend' and the 'good man that was your father'. He is the best pilot, sure, but he's not a hero we can cheer for, he's not a good friend and not a good man. Therefore his fall in ROTS doesn't work: what's the loss? He was an a$$-hole before and he still is, when he commits himself to Palpy's teachings but now he's a$$-hole with a Darth name. But what's in a name in the end?

And how can you say there is no redemption???? That is exactly what happens at the end of ROTJ. It's the whole point of Luke's quest in ROTJ, to turn his father back to the light/good side. And Anakin does that. By killing the Emperor he redeems himself, the reward is that he gets admitted to lighted ghostliness...

If you don't get that, you seriously don't get the OT.

Bashar Teg
The point is: from the very beginning of AOTC there is no character CHANGE in Anakin. The Tusken killing is just an act from his will and attitude he displays from the moment we meet him AOTC.

he begins furling his brow after his turn to the dark side, though. that's just as good as convincing character development.

Darth Luminous
In the Tusken scene he ACTS upon it, showing us therefore that he's already gone.

He's not already gone. Afterwards he displays remorse, self-recrimination and awareness that what he did was wrong, and later in the film and its sequel he continues trying to do his duty on the side of the Republic just as any Jedi in good standing. He's not "gone" until later on after turning to the dark side, at a point when he is committed to evil and essentially remorseless about things such as killing Jedi, serving the Empire, later standing by as millions are massacred, etc.

but he's not a hero we can cheer for

If I could find a place where Obi-Wan said he was "a hero we can cheer for", that might be a problem. Instead, the information given about Anakin in the films was in some ways very different from what fans imagined. ANH declined to say anything about his character and just talked about his skill and his prior friendship with Kenobi. In TESB we were even told he had anger issues! And that is exactly what we got: a troubled man who eventually fell to the dark side. The "pious noble Anakin" caricature that sometimes persists in fan belief raises the question of why such a person would fall to the dark side when the other Jedi did not. I should note here that the pre-prequel Shadows of the Empire got his characterization right!

he's not a good friend

What does this even mean? He was a good friend to Obi-Wan at one point. This is the place in which we find the two of them as ROTS begins. At this point Anakin is also continuing to engage in actions which he believes to be heroic, such as putting his life in danger to save the leader of the Republic, someone who at that point was believed by everyone to be just a relatively harmless politician.

Therefore his fall in ROTS doesn't work: what's the loss?

Ask the residents of Alderaan ( but I suspect you'll have trouble getting through ). In effect, you're trying to throw the whole concept of turning to the dark side under the bus. It is a thing, you can't just handwave it away.

And how can you say there is no redemption???? That is exactly what happens at the end of ROTJ. It's the whole point of Luke's quest in ROTJ, to turn his father back to the light/good side.

So you missed where I said "redemption is really code for returning to the light side"?

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Darth Luminous
An arrogant person not pledged to the dark side and someone fully turned to the dark side are very different things. Arrogant and disobedient is not synonymous with "bad", unless you're a parent lecturing a child.

Well they are bad qualities no doubt. But can't just call anyone whose arrogant as Evil. Especially when they're teenagers.

But If they're overly arrogant into adult life, then it's hard to call them good people tbh.

queeq
'Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you it will."

Anakin started down the dark path sometime between TPM and AOTC.

Lord Lucien
'Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Consume you it will."

Anakin started down the dark path sometime between TPM and AOTC. Actually it was during TPM. Remember when the Federation ship blew up, killing probably a good number of living people? Such massive destruction and his only reaction is "Wooo!"

Little shit was getting his bloodthirsty jollies from the get-go.

queeq
Well, yeah, but there he didn't know what he was doing.

batman

Personally, I don't like that idea. I don't even want Ewan to return as a force ghost of Obi Wan! It would be so awkward! Why would his force image change from Alex to Ewan? It doesn't make any sense! Now, if they were to have an Obi Wan spin-off taking place between episodes 2 & 3, & cast Ewan, I wouldn't mind that.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.