Lack of force lighting with Maul

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KuRuPT Thanosi
I'm curious if Maul had any ability to use force lighting and if so.. where was it shown. Sids tells Maul.. that he has trained him and he is ready to kill the jedi and his mission. Is it known how long he trained him for? I ask this.. because I was wondering if it was longer than he trained Dooku.. it seems to me it prob was.. but I have no info on it. If it was longer, than why was DOoku shown using force lighting and Maul never showed said ability. Was Dooku just simply stronger in the force?

Darth Banus
Trained Maul from infancy.. so def longer than Dooku, to be fair by the time Dooku went under Sids he was already a master of the force..

Ascendancy
It is made clear in the novels that Maul was Sidious' blunt instrument of death so to speak. He may have simply never thought him worthy of the technique, or perhaps he just lacked any particular skill with it and it wasn't worthwhile.

Lord Lucien
Maul never achieved level 12 Sith status, so he didn't unlock Lightning.

Q99
Originally posted by Ascendancy
He may have simply never thought him worthy of the technique, or perhaps he just lacked any particular skill with it and it wasn't worthwhile.

Yea, he may simply prefer force push + saber. People less powerful than him have used lightning.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Ascendancy
It is made clear in the novels that Maul was Sidious' blunt instrument of death so to speak.

What novel was that written in?

The CW show has revamped that idea. He was trained in all the Sith ways so he could one day be Master.

But looking at the end of his last episode it didn't look like he had any knowledge/power to attempt to block any of Sidious's Lightning without a Lightsaber.

Q99
Originally posted by DARTH POWER

But looking at the end of his last episode it didn't look like he had any knowledge/power to attempt to block any of Sidious's Lightning without a Lightsaber.

Mind, blocking it without a lightsaber is something few can do, and even with requires some skill (to redirect it into the saber).

KuRuPT Thanosi
So if Sids trained Maul for a much longer time than Dooku... must we assume Dooku was just considerably more powerful in the force?

Q99
Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi
So if Sids trained Maul for a much longer time than Dooku... must we assume Dooku was just considerably more powerful in the force?

It's more, Dooku already knew the basics and then some, being a senior Jedi master, just needing knowledge of some Sith techniques, while Sidious started from the ground up with Maul.

Dooku has less Sith training but far more total training.

SevenShackles
I was under the impression maul was trained more as an assassin. Going on missions and killing targets and the such. Stealth, acrobatics and speed in both light saber skills and force ability. A tool of murder that perhaps as his apprentice he didn't think it necessary to teach him something that might be used against him. Maul was more than capable of doing what he was meant to with the skills he had (Jedi don't have lightning so it's more or less even ground there) and in the end Dooku was waiting in the shadows to step into his spot anyway soooo perhaps the assassin was neglected the lesson of lightning to make disposing of him easier later on.

Q99
Dooku wasn't actively waiting, apparently, but Sidious did have an eye on him (though admittedly I don't see how they could've pulled off the Clone Wars without him)

Maul I think was supposed to start his way as an assassin, then progress to be more well-rounded with time.

SevenShackles
Originally posted by Q99
Dooku wasn't actively waiting, apparently, but Sidious did have an eye on him (though admittedly I don't see how they could've pulled off the Clone Wars without him)

Maul I think was supposed to start his way as an assassin, then progress to be more well-rounded with time.

(taken from Sifo-Dyas wookiepedia )

It might seem that before Darth Sidious was even a master and able to take him as an apprentice he knew dooku and might have (or did) plan to use him in his scheme. Dooku was strategically useful for the clone army he provided and as a decoy as the 'sith lord' the Jedi order were on the look out for. Maul was a blunt instrument and much more expendable than him.
"craft a weapon to it's task and always be able to kick it's ass" lightning wasn't needed for his purpose and could of been used against either the emperor or Dooku.

Q99
Ooh, I never knew that about the manipulation of Sifo-Dyas. Thanks!

But still, if Maul grew and became powerful and wiser, that leaves a tough choice. Just keep Dooku as a non-Sithlord pawn?

SevenShackles
Originally posted by Q99
Ooh, I never knew that about the manipulation of Sifo-Dyas. Thanks!

But still, if Maul grew and became powerful and wiser, that leaves a tough choice. Just keep Dooku as a non-Sithlord pawn?

This is also true. Honestly maul was trained nearly from birth and seemed the most honestly loyal. I would imagine if Maul grew stronger and wiser (something that could be considered a threat in itself) that Darth Sidious would pick him over Dooku. Dooku was a well trained Jedi and most likely to betray and further his own ambitions than Maul. Also if maul learned lightning on his own he still wouldn't had the refined training that Sidious could provide and still be at a disadvantage if he tried to use it against him. So maybe he was open to him learning it on his own for such purpose and also to be able to known when his loyal apprentice started to venture past what he deemed necessary. Sort of a way to gauge his independence.

In all actuality I think if things worked out perfectly for the future emperor that he would of had maul and dooku duel to see who would be his true apprentice possibly in the hopes to weaken them both and then kill them. (leave no evidence behind.. Apprentices grow on trees after all)More so after a promising young Jedi like Anakin appeared. Anakin a war hero from the same war that would propel him to Emperor status is a better pick to have by you than a dark assassin or the known war criminal/leader of the droid army.

They were all expendable to the emperor just some more than others.

DARTH POWER
The latest Clone Wars Maul arc clearly shows Maul was an all rounder. And he told Sidious "I used your training to build all this."So Maul clearly was trained by Sidious to be an all rounder.

The Clone Wars could have happened with Maul too. Maul just would have been working behind the scenes but used a different public face as head of the Sepratists. Just like he did on Mandalore.

But I don't know why he doesn't shoot FL. It's not like you have to be Uber Powerful for that ability -Mighella comes to mind.

But between him and Dooku, I'd say Maul had more potential but Dooku was more powerful since he lived long enough to actualize all his potential.

Galan007
Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi
So if Sids trained Maul for a much longer time than Dooku... must we assume Dooku was just considerably more powerful in the force? More or less.

You have to remember that Dooku left the Jedi order at the age of 70-- which means he had been training in the Jedi arts for roughly 65 years. When he left the order he was already a very well established(and immensely powerful) Jedi Master. All Palpatine had to do is give him a little nudge with the dark side, and everything else would have come naturally to him. Heck, given that Plo Koon was capable of using force lightning as a Jedi, Dooku may have already known the technique before he even became a Sith. /shrug

Maul, on the other hand, is nowhere near the age of Dooku-- if I had to guess, I'd say that Maul is half Dooku's age, at the very most. That said, Dooku likely spent twice as long honing his force-related skills than Maul. He's going to be more powerful.

SevenShackles
Originally posted by Galan007
More or less.

You have to remember that Dooku left the Jedi order at the age of 70-- which means he had been training in the Jedi arts for roughly 65 years. When he left the order he was already a very well established(and immensely powerful) Jedi Master. All Palpatine had to do is give him a little nudge with the dark side, and everything else would have come naturally to him. Heck, given that Plo Koon was capable of using force lightning as a Jedi, Dooku may have already known the technique before he even became a Sith. /shrug

Maul, on the other hand, is nowhere near the age of Dooku-- if I had to guess, I'd say that Maul is half Dooku's age, at the very most. That said, Dooku likely spent twice as long honing his force-related skills than Maul.
thumb up thumb up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.