Pre Crisis Luthor vs Reed Richards

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

eaebiakuya
Both with prep.

If Lex wins, then he fights against Council of Reeds (both with prep).

Who wins ?

Stoic
Reed wins based on how the writers have fleshed out or explained his tech, and the way most of his gadgets work. Many of PC Lex's gadgets were spoken of once, and never appeared again or given any type of explanation as to what their limits were in either scope or power. Reed wins based on solid evidence of feats which have been explained. Just my 2 pennies.

Galan007
PC Lex was haxxed, but I don't know if even he is on par with Reed, who is, imo, the epitome of a haxxed character when it comes to tech feats.

Uriel005
Originally posted by Galan007
PC Lex was haxxed, but I don't know if even he is on par with Reed, who is, imo, the epitome of a haxxed character when it comes to tech feats. reed or pym between the two of them imo in terms of me going wtf why the hell would you have that just lying around.

ThereIsHope
Lex wins cause he make a time machine out of a tin cup.

cdtm
Lex could make just about anything out of old junk, true.

But Reed keeping a Celestial killing gun in his closet like most guys store old junk kind of evens them up a little..

ThereIsHope
If Luthor had to make something like that, he could. But did he ever have to?

Golgo13
Pretty much a toss up.

Uriel005
Originally posted by ThereIsHope
If Luthor had to make something like that, he could. But did he ever have to? Lex is more like a tony with the intelligence of Reed/slightly less. He's practical in his applications whereas tony and Pym have things just laying about.... I mean Reed and Pym just kinda build stuff because they had an idea and want to try it. Given they can tailor their devices to a situation Lex on the other hand tends to have a very particular focus in mind with his gadgets and what he focuses on. On an engagement of just what they have available Reed takes it hands down. In an engagement with prep I think its much closer though the slight edge goes to Reed simply because he has a tendency to Deus ex and win via his devices and Lex because he was a villain had a tendency to fail more often than not proving his devices falliable whereas Reeds tend to be a bit more effective.

Golgo13
Originally posted by Uriel005
Lex is more like a tony with the intelligence of Reed/slightly less. He's practical in his applications whereas tony and Pym have things just laying about.... I mean Reed and Pym just kinda build stuff because they had an idea and want to try it. Given they can tailor their devices to a situation Lex on the other hand tends to have a very particular focus in mind with his gadgets and what he focuses on. On an engagement of just what they have available Reed takes it hands down. In an engagement with prep I think its much closer though the slight edge goes to Reed simply because he has a tendency to Deus ex and win via his devices and Lex because he was a villain had a tendency to fail more often than not proving his devices falliable whereas Reeds tend to be a bit more effective.

Lex is pretty formidable with prep, though. He did take down ST, right? And very short amount of prep.

Tony Stark
Originally posted by Uriel005
Lex is more like a tony with the intelligence of Reed/slightly less. He's practical in his applications whereas tony and Pym have things just laying about.... I mean Reed and Pym just kinda build stuff because they had an idea and want to try it. Given they can tailor their devices to a situation Lex on the other hand tends to have a very particular focus in mind with his gadgets and what he focuses on. On an engagement of just what they have available Reed takes it hands down. In an engagement with prep I think its much closer though the slight edge goes to Reed simply because he has a tendency to Deus ex and win via his devices and Lex because he was a villain had a tendency to fail more often than not proving his devices falliable whereas Reeds tend to be a bit more effective.

Reed wins this relatively easily against Lex. And although Pym is probably a top 5ish guy I can't ever even put him in the same ball park with Reed who IMO is soooooooo far above who ever is #2.

Golgo13
Lol!

armedforbattle
Tech hierarchy IMO
1. Reed/Doom
2. Stark/Pym
3. Banner
4. Hank McCoy
5. T'Challa/Cho

Golgo13
Originally posted by armedforbattle
Tech hierarchy IMO
1. Reed/Doom
2. Stark/Pym
3. Banner
4. Hank McCoy
5. T'Challa/Cho

Nice breakdown, bud

Now that I think of it, Pre-Crisis Lex isn't even the most impressive super genius in the Pre-Crisis era. IMO, I think that title belongs to the Ultra-Humanite. Who is very close to Dr. Doom.

armedforbattle
Originally posted by Golgo13
Nice breakdown, bud

Now that I think of it, Pre-Crisis Lex isn't even the most impressive super genius in the Pre-Crisis era. IMO, I think that title belongs to the Ultra-Humanite. Who is very close to Dr. Doom.
thumb up

Endless Mike
Tech hierarchy IMO
1. Macgyver
2. Everyone else

Fixed

Cogito
Reed can do more, IMO, but Lex could do more with less.

ColossusGrundy
Lex always had some kind of tied up dumbassery that led to his downfall.

I mean, he coudl have just made a friggin suit of Kryptonite and killed Supes he's had access to tons of the stuff over the years.

But... he suffers the same stupidity that James Bond villains do: Great plan for getting what he wants tied to a stupid plan for getting rid of the hero.

Reed wins mostly due to this.

ThereIsHope
As I said in another thread. Comics thrive on PIS. A great character like Galactus should always win, yet he doesnt. Lex should probably have beaten Superman at least 10 times. Yet he doesnt.

Its all just bullshit.

Uriel005
As I said in another thread. Comics thrive on PIS. A great character like Galactus should always win, yet he doesnt. Lex should probably have beaten Superman at least 10 times. Yet he doesnt.

Its all just bullshit. conversely turning PIS off superman hits luthor from orbit via heatvision and lobotomizes his ass before he comes up with something really threatening.

Tech hierarchy IMO
1. Reed/Doom
2. Stark/Pym
3. Banner
4. Hank McCoy
5. T'Challa/Cho you've left out herbert wyndham

pym-ftw
Originally posted by Tony Stark
Reed wins this relatively easily against Lex. And although Pym is probably a top 5ish guy I can't ever even put him in the same ball park with Reed who IMO is soooooooo far above who ever is #2.
Don't invoke my wrath, just read might Avengers

kuraamyook
Reed is probably around the same level, maybe a bit higher than Post Crisis Lex in the science department

Pre Crisis Lex and Alex Luthor make Reed and Doom look like a children with down syndrome

pym-ftw
Lol, no
laughing out loud

Golgo13
Of all the Luthor's, I don't think PC Lex is the most formidable. I think Alexander Luthor Jr. is. He, IMO is like Reed, but on crack.

Killdeo
Of all the Luthor's, I don't think PC Lex is the most formidable. I think Alexander Luthor Jr. is. He, IMO is like Reed, but on crack. Alex didn't have much exposure though. If he was around for more than one story arc, and consistently performed feats like he did in IC he would probably be above Doom and Reed but it's hard to tell if he would of performed at that level since he they offed him pretty quickly though.

But PC Lex should take all 3 of them to school based on the fact that he was able to make these inane leaps in logic, it's almost as if he had toon force.

DarkSaint85
Just to remind people of the stupidity of Pre-Crisis Lex's intelligence:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/120267/3557197-3704009372-31570.jpg

DarkSaint85
Also:

http://www.politedissent.com/images/dec11/invis_1.jpg
http://www.politedissent.com/images/dec11/invis_2.jpg
http://www.politedissent.com/images/dec11/invis_3.jpg
http://www.politedissent.com/images/dec11/invis_4.jpg

Phucking orange juice.

Mindship
Lex wins cause he make a time machine out of a tin cup. Originally posted by Cogito
Reed can do more, IMO, but Lex could do more with less. Lex is also mightily, eternally driven to destroy one of the most powerful superheroes around. Wasn't he basically supposed to be the "super brains" counterpart to Superman's brawn?
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Also:

Phucking orange juice. Not only did he make the concoction, but he was able to hide the cup of OJ in his cell. Do you know how thoroughly guards search a cell when looking for contraband? Reed may also be great at building things, but hiding them? Maybe not so much.

Golgo13
Originally posted by Killdeo
Alex didn't have much exposure though. If he was around for more than one story arc, and consistently performed feats like he did in IC he would probably be above Doom and Reed but it's hard to tell if he would of performed at that level since he they offed him pretty quickly though.

But PC Lex should take all 3 of them to school based on the fact that he was able to make these inane leaps in logic, it's almost as if he had toon force.

Don't forget his appearance in Robinson's JLA. He was revived then reversed the affects of Omega Man, thus bringing all the dead planets back on the fly.

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg587/golgi7777/AL2_zps6944c18f.jpg

He also told regular Luthor off and said he was better than he was.

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg587/golgi7777/AL_zps667beba4.jpg

Insane Titan
Reed wins, not even a contest

Golgo13
Originally posted by Mindship
Lex is also mightily, eternally driven to destroy one of the most powerful superheroes around. Wasn't he basically supposed to be the "super brains" counterpart to Superman's brawn?
Not only did he make the concoction, but he was able to hide the cup of OJ in his cell. Do you know how thoroughly guards search a cell when looking for contraband? Reed may also be great at building things, but hiding them? Maybe not so much.

Pre-Crisis Superman was a super genius as well. Smarter than all the scientists on earth put together. Or something to that.

DarkSaint85
Don't forget his appearance in Robinson's JLA. He was revived then reversed the affects of Omega Man, thus bringing all the dead planets back on the fly.

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg587/golgi7777/AL2_zps6944c18f.jpg

He also told regular Luthor off and said he was better than he was.

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg587/golgi7777/AL_zps667beba4.jpg

I'd take that with a pinch of slat. Every Luthor thinks he's the smartest.

Are the rules the same for each? Because in that case, Reed wins.

However, if Luthor is allowed his Pre-Crisis toonforce, than Luthor stomps.

Example:

If I gave both guys orange juice, mouth wash, aspirin and some radio parts, then Luthor with Pre-Crisis toonforce will make an invisibility serum.

Reed would get a stomach ache.

But if we gave both guys the same ingredients in Marvel Now!, nothing would happen.

PreCrisis was just a different era, man.

Saying that, what weird sciencey stuff did Reed do during the PreCrisis era? I know Marvel obviously never had the same Crisis, but they must have had similar feats?

Killdeo
That's all Pre Crisis Lex is though, toon force. Take that away and that pretty takes away his entire character.\

Toon Force characters are always going to be smarter than characters like Reed, it's a power in of itself.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.