Alien: Covenant

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

steverules_2
Once again a look through wikipedia has lead to me another movie possibility. I was on Noomie Rapaces page this time and looked at her filmography to see if it had anything about a prometheus sequel and saw the name of the sequel and the year 2014 next to it. Whether it's true or not I guess the name of the thread can be changed should that be a fake name or what not but we know a sequel is most likely coming. I read that Scott is hoping to bridge the gap between the prometheus sequel and Alien so that'll be pretty cool to see IMO.

Kazenji
Tried using google to confirm it?

steverules_2
There are quite a few pages for a sequel, saw a facebook page for 'Prometheus 2: Paradise' so...who knows? But I heard the sequel is looking at a 2014/15 release date and by 2015 according to BTTF2 we'll have flying cars smile

Patient_Leech
The sequel has been confirmed for a looooong time. I just posted this in the first thread...

Now, I don't know if this means a writer has already been hired and is working on it, or if Ridley is laying out the general outline for someone else to fine-tune later or what, but it is extremely exciting.

steverules_2
I wouldn't mind seeing what becomes of that early stage xeno as well as what happens Noomi goes to visit the engineers

quanchi112
I'd still like a sequel but was thoroughly disappointed with the first.

Patient_Leech
My dick is still hard for the first one, but it's EXTRA hard for a follow-up.

Ascendancy
^Sword fight!

ebrown
Looking forward to it. I never got the hate for the prometheus, it was pretty good.

steverules_2
I think the hate comes from people wanting it to be more about the origins of the xeno's than anything else

Sadako of Girth
It seems so.

quanchi112
It was pretty boring.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by steverules_2
I think the hate comes from people wanting it to be more about the origins of the xeno's than anything else

If that's true, then people are idiots, because the film is about that and so much more... delving into not just the origin of the xeno, but the origin of everything. People should use some imagination and clues from the film to come up with their own theory for what's going on instead of just writing everything off as a plothole. Fans (of the Alien franchise in this case) would be a lot happier if they accepted things the way they are rather than bitching about the way they're not. That's my rant for today, 'cause I'm sick of people bitching about such a masterful piece of dark science fiction. To me it is the quintessential dark sci-fi film, handled with elegance and precision and with themes like no other. Films of this nature are precious and rare.

Ascendancy
Honestly, had they done one or two other things well it would have been close to perfect. I literally wanted to go to space immediately after those amazing visuals.

steverules_2
The movie is basically it's own movie with some origins of the xeno's

juggerman
I didn't really expect to see the xenos but the movie itself was pretty boring and the characters were idiots. Seriously the two guys want to run out of the cave cuz they see a body that's been dead for a billion years but then they want to play with an alive alien snake????

Kazenji
Originally posted by juggerman
s but then they want to play with an alive alien snake????

Even Quentin Tarantino brought that up

quanchi112
I didn't really expect to see the xenos but the movie itself was pretty boring and the characters were idiots. Seriously the two guys want to run out of the cave cuz they see a body that's been dead for a billion years but then they want to play with an alive alien snake???? thumb up

Patient_Leech
I didn't really expect to see the xenos b the movie itself was pretty boring and the characters were idiots. Seriously the two guys want to run out of the cave cuz they see a body that's been dead for a billion years but then they want to play with an alive alien snake????

Apparently you haven't met too many people in your life. Many of them ARE idiots.. flawed and bizarre. Pathologies and psychoses on top of each other. It's true to life. They were smoking hash, too. There's many ways to make sense of it. If there's one thing in life that is unpredictable, it's human behavior.

Robtard
LoL, dude. If you loved the flick, you loved the flick. But some of the actions the characters made in the film were outright nonsensical and really can't be defended.

juggerman
Originally posted by Robtard
LoL, dude. If you loved the flick, you loved the flick. But some of the actions the characters made in the film were outright nonsensical and really can't be defended.

Pretty much this.

Ascendancy
Going to have to agree. I loved the film, but that was one of the WTF moments in the film. They could have also done a better job of dealing with the surgery scene. It was relatively clear that the stimulants and such were letting her run around, but wasn't the best execution of things. It was pretty clear that someone with some pull *cough cough* said it had to be done way "X" no matter what.

Patient_Leech

The flaws, psychoses, and poor behavior of humanity is a theme implied by the movie, anyway. So it makes sense that the crew members wouldn't all be perfectly-behaved goodie-two-shoes or even completely rational.

Robtard
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
The flaws, psychoses, and poor behavior of humanity is a theme implied by the movie, anyway. So it makes sense that the crew members wouldn't all be perfectly-behaved goodie-two-shoes or even completely rational.

They outright did REALLY dumb shit, which people have gone through already in the Prometheus thread at one point or another.

Like getting lost, even though those two cats were in constant radio contact with the ship, had positioning markers and a 3D map of the bunker. Things like that can't be done away with being "irrational". Was CIS for the sake of the story.

Patient_Leech
They outright did REALLY dumb shit, which people have gone through already...

Exactly, the same group-think opinion that has been repeated ad nauseum here. I disagree, though. If Fifield and Milburn had skipped around, poored milk on their heads, and mooned the snake, then THAT would have been really dumb shit. What they did was not that dumb.

Like getting lost, even though those two cats were in constant radio contact with the ship, had positioning markers and a 3D map of the bunker. Things like that can't be done away with being "irrational". Was CIS for the sake of the story.

Janek mentioned that the signal had been coming in sporadically because of the storm, so apparently they weren't in constant contact with the ship. Janek acted like he hadn't heard from them when Shaw asked about them.

Kazenji
Exactly, the same group-think opinion that has been repeated ad nauseum here. I disagree, though. If Fifield and Milburn had skipped around, poored milk on their heads, and mooned the snake, then THAT would have been really dumb shit. What they did was not that dumb.

What they did was dumb.......

your on an unknown planet and you come across a new creature, you don't go up to it and try and pat it and scratch its chin.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Kazenji
your on an unknown planet and you come across a new creature, you don't go up to it and try and pat it and scratch its chin.

Must I point out that as far as they knew they were INVITED to the planet and the air suddenly became breathable? Also, there's a deleted scene in which Milburn picks up a smaller worm-like creature with great fascination as the first alien discovery, which helps lend some explanation for why he acted the way he did. Not that dumb of an action. Unadvisable perhaps, under certain circumstances, but not really that dumb. It's an unprecedented situation.

Newjak
Must I point out that as far as they knew they were INVITED to the planet and the air suddenly became breathable? Also, there's a deleted scene in which Milburn picks up a smaller worm-like creature with great fascination as the first alien discovery, which helps lend some explanation for why he acted the way he did. Not that dumb of an action. Unadvisable perhaps, under certain circumstances, but not really that dumb. It's an unprecedented situation. The guy freaked out when he saw a decapitated Alien head but is all willing to get buddy buddy with an Alien worm that he has no idea about.

The fact is they did stupid irrational things. That this was a team of supposedly the best experts in their fields makes it even more disappointing.

And the filmmakers never actually tackled any of the big questions they raised only glossing it over.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Newjak

And the filmmakers never actually tackled any of the big questions they raised only glossing it over.

I'd say the origin of all life in the Universe is a pretty big question, you don't think so?

Newjak
I'd say the origin of all life in the Universe is a pretty big question, you don't think so? It is but bringing it up and glossing over it isn't imo tackling or taking on the question.

It always just glossed over. Which was disappointing to me. This might be the first movie I've ever gone to see where I had no expectations of the movie and thoroughly got taken out of it by how little it actually did with the plot and characters.

Patient_Leech
It is but bringing it up and glossing over it isn't imo tackling or taking on the question..

What you call "glossing over" I call not spoon-feeding the audience. There's plenty there to think about through symbolism and metaphor, it's just more vague and mysterious (ala 2001: A Space Oddyssey) and not insulting and obvious (ala Avatar).

Newjak
What you call "glossing over" I call not spoon-feeding the audience. There's plenty there to think about through symbolism and metaphor, it's just more vague and mysterious (ala 2001: A Space Oddyssey) and not insulting and obvious (ala Avatar). They introduced the questions and thoughts but never did anything with them. It seemed less they were going to vague mystery and more it was either lazy or they tried to hard to be clever and couldn't execute it properly.

Patient_Leech
Okay. Just out of curiosity, what did you expect them to "do" with it?

All I expected was a compelling, exciting story set within this dark, mysterious, and thought-provoking universe (as well as well-conceived creatures and designs).

And quite frankly, I think it's undeniable that they succeeded in that regard.

Ascendancy
To the origins issue, they did a great job.

To the common sense issue, there were some dumb things happening once they got planet-side.

Esau Cairn
What you call "glossing over" I call not spoon-feeding the audience. There's plenty there to think about through symbolism and metaphor, it's just more vague and mysterious (ala 2001: A Space Oddyssey) and not insulting and obvious (ala Avatar).

Agreed. But sometimes an audience perceives more in a movie than the director or story writer ever intended...much like how different religious institutions translate the Bible or the Koran for that matter.

I mean Prometheus became a movie that Ridley had to justify & explain through numerous articles rather than let the movie speak for itself.

Kazenji
but is all willing to get buddy buddy with an Alien worm that he has no idea about.

No wonder people on this planet get attack by dogs that they don't know.

Newjak
Okay. Just out of curiosity, what did you expect them to "do" with it?

All I expected was a compelling, exciting story set within this dark, mysterious, and thought-provoking universe (as well as well-conceived creatures and designs).

And quite frankly, I think it's undeniable that they succeeded in that regard. When I saw them on their way to the planet they started off strong, they were asking the right questions, setting the stage for great thought provoking dialogue and discussions.

After seeing that I was expecting smart characters intelligently interacting with the deep material quickly presented.

Instead what I got was stupid irrational characters blundering through the plot which was all over the place with only minor quips on the questions it set out to at least discuss.

It's not wanting 'answers' spoon fed to me. It's wanting the characters presented in the movie to actually take on those questions with real intelligent thought provoking dialogue and actions.

It just disappointed me because what the movie made it seem like it was gonna be in the beginning turned out to be false. It was a well made horror movie presented with your typical horror movie characters doing stupid things to continue the plot for plot's sake.

Which normally would be okay for me but based on the opening minutes of the movie I thought it was gonna be so much more. So every time Promethus turned into what it was, it just took me out of it.

Or in short it raised the questions, but then didn't do anything of note or intelligence with them not imo.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Agreed. But sometimes an audience perceives more in a movie than the director or story writer ever intended...
You're getting into artist intention now, which is a whole other can of worms. You can't prove what may or may not have been intended. All you can do is see what's there and work with it. And that's what well constructed art is supposed to do: inspire fans to get things out of it (intended or not). Clearly the film was very specifically constructed, so I'm sure much of it was intended. I'll give an example of something that I think is very interesting about the film: You have 3 very distinct decapitated heads that seem to represent some sort of Unholy Dark Trinity:

-Head Statue (Father)
-David's head (Son)
-Engineer head (Holy Spirit)

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/media/shaw_examining_engineer_head7.jpg

Father

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-i-4l3O5VDnU/T9LAas0Q2NI/AAAAAAAAAe4/hTc8mFEdPBo/s1600/michael-david-prometheus304.jpg

Son

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/6899/headov.jpg

Holy Spirit

The head statue almost seems to represent God because it appears to be some sort of idol for worship (Fifield openly wonders that very thing). David is the Son that Weyland never had, and the Engineer who was decapitated is even shown running as a hologram as if some sort of holy spirit. I don't care whether it was intended or not, it's damn cool. I think we're going to find out more about these Engineer's rituals and "religion" (so to speak), which makes this pretty interesting.

I mean Prometheus became a movie that Ridley had to justify & explain through numerous articles rather than let the movie speak for itself.
I haven't seen him having to justify and explain it. Please link.

When I saw them on their way to the planet they started off strong, they were asking the right questions, setting the stage for great thought provoking dialogue and discussions.

After seeing that I was expecting smart characters intelligently interacting with the deep material quickly presented.
Sounds like it was your expectations, man. It's not really meant to be a dialogue movie. It's meant to spark dialogue amongst the audience, like a little puzzle. Hence the rubix cube...

http://rubikscubesinmovies.com/images/rubiks-cube-prometheus.jpg

Instead what I got was stupid irrational characters blundering through the plot...

That's horror movies for you. Expectations again. They made no mistake about it being a horror movie. Alien was a sci-fi horror movie, too.

steverules_2
How is a decapitated head the holy spirit? sly

Esau Cairn
You're getting into artist intention now, which is a whole other can of worms. You can't prove what may or may not have been intended. All you can do is see what's there and work with it. And that's what well constructed art is

Make no mistake,I've read all your insights into Prometheus & I admire & respect your passion for this particular movie.I too have my movies that I'm blind & impartial to their shortcomings. However I'm one of many that did walk away scratching my head wondering a) Whether the movie was just badly edited OR whether Ridley & co-writer "made up the story as they went along"?
I mean watching Prometheus again just left me with more quirky observations that still made no sense to the storyline but just simply "looked good" to watch.
1) The holographic sequence of The Engineers clearly running away in panic & fright,only to be massacred in a pile.... WHY were they trying to escape & seek sanctuary in the chamber with the canisters of deadly black goo?
2) In the end of the film we see the creation of the very first "alien" that will eventually evolve to the aliens we know. YET earlier in the film, when the crew discover the chamber of goo,we clearly see a carving on the wall of an already clearly advanced Alien Queen. This clearly suggests that aliens were already an integral part of The Engineers' plans & yet the end of the movie clearly hints/suggests the creation/birth of the very 1st Alien Being.
This is how the movie just keeps stumbling & contradicting itself.

Newjak
You're getting into artist intention now, which is a whole other can of worms. You can't prove what may or may not have been intended. All you can do is see what's there and work with it. And that's what well constructed art is supposed to do: inspire fans to get things out of it (intended or not). Clearly the film was very specifically constructed, so I'm sure much of it was intended. I'll give an example of something that I think is very interesting about the film: You have 3 very distinct decapitated heads that seem to represent some sort of Unholy Dark Trinity:

-Head Statue (Father)
-David's head (Son)
-Engineer head (Holy Spirit)

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/media/shaw_examining_engineer_head7.jpg

Father

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-i-4l3O5VDnU/T9LAas0Q2NI/AAAAAAAAAe4/hTc8mFEdPBo/s1600/michael-david-prometheus304.jpg

Son

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/6899/headov.jpg

Holy Spirit

The head statue almost seems to represent God because it appears to be some sort of idol for worship (Fifield openly wonders that very thing). David is the Son that Weyland never had, and the Engineer who was decapitated is even shown running as a hologram as if some sort of holy spirit. I don't care whether it was intended or not, it's damn cool. I think we're going to find out more about these Engineer's rituals and "religion" (so to speak), which makes this pretty interesting.

I haven't seen him having to justify and explain it. Please link.

Sounds like it was your expectations, man. It's not really meant to be a dialogue movie. It's meant to spark dialogue amongst the audience, like a little puzzle. Hence the rubix cube...

http://rubikscubesinmovies.com/images/rubiks-cube-prometheus.jpg

That's horror movies for you. Expectations again. They made no mistake about it being a horror movie. Alien was a sci-fi horror movie, too. That's my problem I didn't have any expectations going into this movie. I didn't really follow it when it was being marketed. All I knew about the movie was from the opening parts of it. The parts the director decided to film.

They made it seem like you were going to get this intelligent movie about the origins of men.

So my expectations of the movie came from the movie itself and how it presented itself in the beginning.

From there on I was completely disappointing in how they took the movie and went with it.

-Pr-
I didn't want any of that, tbh. I just wanted a good movie about xenomorphs, or at least something connected to them. I got that, imo.

Newjak
Originally posted by -Pr-
I didn't want any of that, tbh. I just wanted a good movie about xenomorphs, or at least something connected to them. I got that, imo. Did I ask you uhuh

stick out tongue

I will admit, besides the bad plot holes and stupid characters, it was a well made visually amazing movie.

-Pr-
I think people overstate the plot holes, tbh, but that's me.

zeel
Originally posted by quanchi112
I'd still like a sequel but was thoroughly disappointed with the first.

thumb up thumb up thumb up thumb up

Its funny almost everyone i know that saw prometheus thats was 15-25 loved it. And almost everyone i knew from the ages 35 and up hated it.

Ascendancy
Make no mistake,I've read all your insights into Prometheus & I admire & respect your passion for this particular movie.I too have my movies that I'm blind & impartial to their shortcomings. However I'm one of many that did walk away scratching my head wondering a) Whether the movie was just badly edited OR whether Ridley & co-writer "made up the story as they went along"?
I mean watching Prometheus again just left me with more quirky observations that still made no sense to the storyline but just simply "looked good" to watch.
1) The holographic sequence of The Engineers clearly running away in panic & fright,only to be massacred in a pile.... WHY were they trying to escape & seek sanctuary in the chamber with the canisters of deadly black goo?
2) In the end of the film we see the creation of the very first "alien" that will eventually evolve to the aliens we know. YET earlier in the film, when the crew discover the chamber of goo,we clearly see a carving on the wall of an already clearly advanced Alien Queen. This clearly suggests that aliens were already an integral part of The Engineers' plans & yet the end of the movie clearly hints/suggests the creation/birth of the very 1st Alien Being.
This is how the movie just keeps stumbling & contradicting itself.

Ridley said specifically that this was not an Alien origins film. The one in this film was simply a form of xenomorph and we also got to see one of the Engineer ships that crashed on LV-426.

-Pr-
Originally posted by zeel

Its funny almost everyone i know that saw prometheus thats was 15-25 loved it. And almost everyone i knew from the ages 35 and up hated it.

and the gap in the middle?

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Ascendancy
Ridley said specifically that this was not an Alien origins film. The one in this film was simply a form of xenomorph and we also got to see one of the Engineer ships that crashed on LV-426.

You're clearly missing the point.
Yes, unfortunately Prometheus did turn out NOT to be an Alien Origins Film, much to the disappointment of A LOT of people.

So once again, why a carving on the wall of an Alien Queen clearly as old as the ruins themselves....then why later give the impression of the very first Alien as a species?

quanchi112
Originally posted by zeel

Its funny almost everyone i know that saw prometheus thats was 15-25 loved it. And almost everyone i knew from the ages 35 and up hated it. I am in the gap in the middle.

Kazenji
You're clearly missing the point.
Yes, unfortunately Prometheus did turn out NOT to be an Alien Origins Film, much to the disappointment of A LOT of people.

So once again, why a carving on the wall of an Alien Queen clearly as old as the ruins themselves....then why later give the impression of the very first Alien as a species?

How are you getting an Alien Queen from that mural?

looks like a normal Xeno to me.

Supra

Has to be a queen man, how else is she gonna lay the rest of the eggs?

Esau Cairn

There was more than one mural.
The one I'm thinking of the alien had a "big flared hood" for a head, similar to the alien queen in ALIENS & AVP...and on the carving she seemed to be looming over eggs or canisters.

And even if it was a "normal xeno"...why does the end of the movie imply/suggest that that creature was the 1st of its kind?

Patient_Leech

You're making quite a few assumptions without much grounding. And quite frankly it's not all that interesting.

Here's what i think we will find out in the sequel(s): It's not just a military installation.. it's a RELIGIOUS installation for the latest self sacrifice ritual. Kind of like the self sacrifice for CREATION at the beginning of the film, except now we are much further in the future from that time, so their ritualistic/religious practices have gotten more advanced and sadistic. Ridley has stated that the Engineers are violent ****ers. This theory would also help make sense out of the murals and statue etc in the ship.

Esau Cairn
You're making quite a few assumptions without much grounding. And quite frankly it's not all that interesting.

Now you're sounding very naive & blatantly defensive.

So you didn't see the alien mural in the chamber?

So you didn't see the resemblance either to the new born xeno & come to the notion that it was the 1st of its species?

Kazenji
There was more than one mural.
The one I'm thinking of the alien had a "big flared hood" for a head, similar to the alien queen in ALIENS & AVP...and on the carving she seemed to be looming over eggs or canisters.

And even if it was a "normal xeno"...why does the end of the movie imply/suggest that that creature was the 1st of its kind?

The one that i can remember is the first one in that room with the big head.

Supra
So Naomi is gonna show up and do what with a headless robot and a ship full of bio weapons, release them on the Engineers?

Patient_Leech
Now you're sounding very naive & blatantly defensive.

So you didn't see the alien mural in the chamber?

So you didn't see the resemblance either to the new born xeno & come to the notion that it was the 1st of its species?

You answered your own question: The Engineers have murals dedicated to it, ergo it's probably NOT the first alien species of its kind. Hence my theory that their religious sacrificial practices have evolved and begun to revolve around it.

Patient_Leech
In case anyone is interested (probably not because it doesn't involve some goofy character in a skin-tight outfit with superpowers), here is the latest rumor and speculation surrounding the writing of the next film:

So, it would seem the rumors being reported by BD's sources are a tad inaccurate and thankfully, Prometheus 2 is not in any serious trouble. Also, the process of Prometheus 2's development has very little to do with Damon Lindelof, so to point the finger at him seems out of place to me.

Also, I feel I should also note, that according to Badass Digest:

"Fox has been taking many, many meetings with screenwriters, and that screenwriters have been pretty much bringing in their own pitches, not working within an established frame."

So, Prometheus' Sequel is still alive and well. The process of exploiting more of the mystery behind this expanded universe is expected to be a long and challenging one, there's a lot to cover and a lot to be explored.

This does not mean anyone is "freaking out", it simply means this process will take time, and I don't know about most of you, but I would rather Scott and company really iron out a solid script for the sequel, and explore as many options as possible instead of rushing the development process just to deliver quick and simple answers to the questions Prometheus raised.

As someone who really enjoyed Prometheus, I'm fine waiting a few extra months for the sequel, so long as it stays true to the franchise and delivers some truly mind blowing concepts. What about you?

I agree with the author Chris Picard (admin at the Prometheus site). I think the confusion is that with a film like this, it is going to take a lot of time and precision to get it right and that is why it might seem to be "in trouble." As soon as the sequel was greenlit, the head of production at Fox said that Ridley was "extremely excited about it" (something like that). And Ridley has said that there is a plan for where the story is going.

Kazenji
Here's some theories

http://www.prometheus2-movie.com/community/forums/topic/12427

Robtard
Here's some theories

http://www.prometheus2-movie.com/community/forums/topic/12427

Sounds like they're taking biblical-eeque cues form The Prophecy with the Engineers being angels and having a grudge that their gods (God) love 'normal' beings (humanity) more than them.

steverules_2
I thought the engineers reasons wanting to destroy humanity would be obvious...we always end up destroying each other, killing, stealing, drugs, prostitution...all the good stuff so they see us as a failed experiment so they decide to destroy us

Robtard
The Engineers love themselves some prostitutes, bro.

lmaricada
can't wait for this movie!!!

Kazenji
Casting update

http://www.prometheus2-movie.com/news/819

steverules_2
The Engineers love themselves some prostitutes, bro.

Well I guess they could let the prostitutes live but everyone else is f*cked...pun intended...giggity

SunKing
I still need to see Prometheus 1 >_<

koolluke
There is no way that Prometheus is worthy of a sequel, it was a total disappointment, the characters just weren't interesting enough (David aside) I unfortunately feel that Ridley has lost his touch.

Patient_Leech

Kazenji
Already been posted

laughing

0mega Spawn
To respond to those first about the idiotic characters
Many people are actually that ridiculously stupid yet intriguing this is just how people are

0mega Spawn
But part 2 would be interesting if she reaches the alien planet seeing as its going to be comparable to a black dude strolling into a KKK convention

dadudemon
Confirmed: Amanda Bines is going to be in Prometheus 2:

http://www.rikbarnett.com/content/rik_main.jpg

Kazenji
Got a link for it?

dadudemon
Originally posted by dadudemon
Confirmed: Amanda Bines is going to be in Prometheus 2:

http://www.rikbarnett.com/content/rik_main.jpg

Got a link for it?

crylaugh

I love you, sir.

Kazenji
no expression

Wheres the joke??

your a very odd person.

Patient_Leech
laughing

Originally posted by 0mega Spawn
To respond to those first about the idiotic characters
Many people are actually that ridiculously stupid yet intriguing this is just how people are

Thank you. I've been saying that this whole time. I deal with different people everyday and it is very true.

Kazenji
laughing

Seriously whats the joke?

Galan007
Wow, I'm surprised at the amount of Prometheus hate. Was it perfect? No, there was a substantial amount of character stupidity throughout the movie. However, I thought the film itself was quite good as a whole, and am very much looking forward to seeing the story evolve in the sequel.

Will she make it to the Engineers' planet?
Will she be greeted with open arms by a race that appears to be extremely violent toward humans?
Will it be explained why the Engineers appear to idolize Xenomorphs(the mural in the black goo room)?
Will the logistics of the Engineers' WMD-holding-world be explained? I mean, why in the hell were there so many ships(and tanks of black goo) there?
Was earth the only planet they grew humans on?
Will she get an explanation as to why they created humans in the first place?
Will she get an explanation as to why they wanted to eradicate humans?
Will the Xenomorph seen at the end of the film play any sort of crucial role?
Etc.

Those questions left me wanting more.

Kazenji
Deacon Alien Sculpture by a fan

http://www.prometheus2-movie.com/community/forums/topic/25240

Galan007
Question:
Do you guys think the race of Engineers are still alive, and as active as they've always been-- or are you, like me, beginning to think that they may be extinct(or very close to it)..?

Robtard
They've been in a 2000+ year war will the Yautja. So they're probably dwindling in numbers.

That aside, I do hope they get deeper into the Engineer mythos. Exactly who/what are they. Did some other species create them like they created humanity. Did they have some internal war. What does an Engineer like to do on Sundays. Etc. I'd find that more interesting than explosions and having Shaw running for her life again.

Esau Cairn
Seriously whats the joke?

Bines starred in a movie called, She's The Man...where she dressed up as a schoolboy & played soccer.

Barnet looks as she did, dressed as a boy.

dadudemon
Bines starred in a movie called, She's The Man...where she dressed up as a schoolboy & played soccer.

Barnet looks as she did, dressed as a boy.

laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

It sounds funnier coming from you.

Kazenji
So something like that is funny for you ermm

moving on.........

Galan007
They've been in a 2000+ year war will the Yautja. So they're probably dwindling in numbers.

That aside, I do hope they get deeper into the Engineer mythos. Exactly who/what are they. Did some other species create them like they created humanity. Did they have some internal war. What does an Engineer like to do on Sundays. Etc. I'd find that more interesting than explosions and having Shaw running for her life again. I am curious why they seemingly stopped their efforts to wipe out humanity 2000+ years ago(after things went haywire on LV223)..? Were they in a war with the Predators that diverted their attention, or did they stop phucking with the black goo(as a weapon) all together?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Galan007
... or did they stop phucking with the black goo(as a weapon) all together?

My guess was this when I saw the film. Shit when south, very quickly. They abandoned the project and the planet. Shit got too real. They thought something like, "Phuck the humans and their barbaric ways. We'ere getting TFO."

Patient_Leech
Minty fresh Colgate Engineers!! hahaha

New Holographic Engineer Figures From NECA!

http://www.dreadcentral.com/img/news/jun13/neca-holo-prometheus-2.jpg

Meh... definitely would not have been my choice. I want Shaw and Weyland figures! : ( *pouts* My guess is that this was cheap to put out because they already have the molds. But shit, they've already worked on the sculps for Fifield and Shaw, so wtf?

Kazenji
TRANSCENDENCE Writer To Pen PROMETHEUS 2

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=81754

Patient_Leech
Interesting. Ive heard of this Transcendence movie and am very intrigued. It doesn't come out until April 2014, though.

And it would be a major shock and disappointment if Ridley doesn't return to direct. I mean, my jaw would hit the floor. I'd be pissed.

Kazenji
Dark Horse to do Prometheus comic books

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/BatFreak/news/?a=82643

Patient_Leech
^ Sweet.

Kazenji
Depends who's writing it could be good

they've done some good Aliens, Predator & AVP related ones.

steverules_2
Interesting. Ive heard of this Transcendence movie and am very intrigued. It doesn't come out until April 2014, though.

And it would be a major shock and disappointment if Ridley doesn't return to direct. I mean, my jaw would hit the floor. I'd be pissed.

Maybe James Cameron will direct biscuits

Patient_Leech
laughing

If he did, all he would do would be remake the first film just with moronic marines and raise the number of hammerpedes, Engineers, trilobites, and Deacons exponentially. And people would love it.

Patient_Leech
Speaking of James Cameron, I just purchased an Aliens alien at Toys R Us. It's pretty sweet...

Patient_Leech
Statue from Comic Con...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/941254_685631018130023_1097024732_n.jpg

Patient_Leech
A taste of the comic series in the works...

dadudemon
Patient_Leech, I am lurking this thread. Continue posting because you have at least 1 fan of your updates. big grin

Patient_Leech
Thanks, brah. smile

Good to know. But even if no one were paying attention I'd still update. I love this movie. heh

http://cdn.wegotthiscovered.com/wp-content/uploads/prometheus-sketch-540x360.jpg

(P.s. when using my name, you don't have to use the under_score. wink )

FistOfThe North

Patient_Leech

Kazenji
Micheal Fassbender doesn't know anything about the script being finished

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=89375

FistOfThe North
That's got to be one of the worst movie news writers I've ever seen. Horrible write up.

Well, the point was that the script was finished. Which is good news.

Patient_Leech
^ indeed it is.

I am having a little bit of confusion, though. When Ridley says, "Prometheus 2 is written. I have already got the next two films ready to go. That will be 2014, 2015..." Does he mean the next two Prometheus films or his next two projects (perhaps Prometheus 2 and Exodus, his biblical epic)? People elsewhere seem to think he just means his next two projects, but I'm hoping not...

Galan007
To me, it implies that he has the next 2 Prometheus films ready to go.

Patient_Leech
We have a release date, ladies and gents.

Prometheus 2: 'Paradise' to be Released on November 27th, 2015!

http://www.prometheus2-movie.com/media/ancient_gods_paradise.jpg

^ 'Ancient Gods' it's titled?? Too badass for words.

Mindset
Why is it so far away? -_-

0mega Spawn
Man, that is a long time. It better be ****ing good as good can get

Lestov16
Can't believe people are clamoring for the sequel after how shitty the first was sad Guess Alien fandom will override anything, no matter how low the quality, similar to Transformers fandom

Kazenji
The first one wasn't shit, It was a good movie but not without its flaws.

Lestov16
What was good about it? The characters were amongst the stupidest in cinematic history, doubly insulting since they were supposed to be Earth's best scientists.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Lestov16
What was good about it? The characters were amongst the stupidest in cinematic history, doubly insulting since they were supposed to be Earth's best scientists.
They're not nearly as stupid and annoying as the characters in Aliens, and everyone loves that film.

Originally posted by Mindset
Why is it so far away? -_-
Well, seeing as they just finished the script a couple months ago, they'll still have a bunch of stuff to design, plan, and build. The first one wasn't exactly a simple production, so the sequel probably will not be too different. Then you have to hire actors/actresses, shooting, and then of course post production (which will undoubtedly be extensive with a production like this). A couple years from now actually sounds about right, as much as it sucks to have to wait that long. I really don't mind waiting, though, as long as shit looks tight. My only worry is that Ridley is getting pretty damn old. And I keep hearing uncertainty that he'll even return to direct. And to me, this is HIS series. I can't imagine anyone else directing it... I mean, his tone and atmosphere is what it was all about. It's the reason none of the Alien films really lived up to the first one, imo.

Kazenji
They're not nearly as stupid and annoying as the characters in Aliens, and everyone loves that film.

But of course you dislike James Cameron himself...there's also that factor there roll eyes (sarcastic)

Stealth Moose
The first one wasn't shit, It was a good movie but not without its flaws.

This. The script had a lot of potential, and typically sci fi films thrive on their atmosphere and sense of wonder or dread, not their 'smart characters'. There's a lot of amazingly stupid protagonists in many types of media, specifically because if they were as smart as some of the viewers there'd be no conflict.

Also, after looking into the film (because I had so many questions) and researching it, I appreciate what it was intended to be even if I find the finished product to have some flaws. The script got revised and content cut entirely too much, which has happened to other films in the past.

In any case, it's one of the biggest budget best representations of the ancient astronaut theory out there. The Aliens tie-in, IMO, isn't even interesting.

wilco
Originally posted by steverules_2
Once again a look through wikipedia has lead to me another movie possibility. I was on Noomie Rapaces page this time and looked at her filmography to see if it had anything about a prometheus sequel and saw the name of the sequel and the year 2014 next to it. Whether it's true or not I guess the name of the thread can be changed should that be a fake name or what not but we know a sequel is most likely coming. I read that Scott is hoping to bridge the gap between the prometheus sequel and Alien so that'll be pretty cool to see IMO.

http://www.mypopulars.com/wallpaper/charlize-theron/charlize-theron_3_1280_1024.jpg

Tzeentch
They're not nearly as stupid and annoying as the characters in Aliens.

How so?

Kazenji
Wouldn't be surprised with this sequel, What questions the first movie didn't answer this one might.

Arachnid1
Man, I swear. Some people spout their hate about things just to spout hate. The first Prometheus movie was great. It wasn't perfect, but it has a 74% on rotten tomatoes for a reason. It did what it set out to do, and it did it well. Yes, those two first scientists that died were idiots, but they existed to only die. Their point was that they messed with alien tech they couldn't hope to understand (despite the fact that they're scientific geniuses, they cant be faulted for not understanding alien life forms that actually function as bio-organic weapons) and it got them killed.

The main stupid thing they did according to most was get lost in the tunnels. Even this was undestandable,because the geologist had no visual map for himself. The orbs he sent out mapped out the underground area for Prometheus. Its not like he had a hologram in his helmet telling him where to go. That leaves the guidance aspect to Prometheus, and its possible he had trouble following directions since that underground area was a massive maze and had no visual representation. And wasn't Prometheus focused on the main group at that time? If anything, they were idiots for getting separated from the main group in the first place.

Some people slam this movie just to slam it. It was a highly entertaining movie, and the second one will be too.

jaden101
After watching it again (I have no idea why) it struck me how similar it is to Mission to Mars which quite frankly had a much better cast, generally better acting (with the exception of Fassbender) and was overall a far better film. Despite having a similarly open ended plot, mission to Mars at least resolved the character arcs and so didn't need a sequel and so was a stand alone story. That was always something lacking Prometheus. It NEEDS a sequel and can't stand on its own merits as a piece of storytelling.

I'm not even going to start on the whole pseudo religious clap trap thematic disaster.

I won't even mention the almost endless barrage of planet sized plot holes.

I won't even bring up how Kate Dickie gives possibly the single worst acting performance in the history of film to the point where she makes actors if pornos seem worthy of Oscars.

It did have one redeeming feature. It's one of the best uses of 3D I've seen yet.

The only saving grace is that Lindelof has supposedly been given the boot.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Arachnid1
Man, I swear. Some people spout their hate about things just to spout hate. The first Prometheus movie was great. It wasn't perfect, but it has a 74% on rotten tomatoes for a reason.
I know, right? Ebert gave it 4/4 stars.

The main stupid thing they did according to most was get lost in the tunnels. Even this was undestandable,because the geologist had no visual map for himself. The orbs he sent out mapped out the underground area for Prometheus. Its not like he had a hologram in his helmet telling him where to go. That leaves the guidance aspect to Prometheus, and its possible he had trouble following directions since that underground area was a massive maze and had no visual representation. And wasn't Prometheus focused on the main group at that time? If anything, they were idiots for getting separated from the main group in the first place.
The only people complaining are people who wished the movie had spent unnecessary time explaining trivial things like how Fifield and Milburn got lost. (Answer: they had poor signal with the ship). Doesn't really matter how... there was enough info there for it to be plausible. Ironic, yes, but not impossible.

Yes, those two first scientists that died were idiots, but they existed to only die. Their point was that they messed with alien tech they couldn't hope to understand (despite the fact that they're scientific geniuses, they cant be faulted for not understanding alien life forms that actually function as bio-organic weapons) and it got them killed.

Good point, it's like I've been saying, it was a completely unprecedented situation. Yes, this is the other common thing I hear complained about was why Milburn was approaching the snake-like creature. Was in potentially dangerous? Yeah, I'm sure he knew that seeing as he's a biologist, but no one would have expected it to jump up and wrap around his arm. And there's also this that most people seem to conveniently ignore: he was communicating with the ship the details of the discovery. A discovery like that is pretty big news, so he was thrilled to be making it (there's a deleted scene that confirms this). And I quote his observations on the creature:

He got carried away reporting his findings. It's not stupid. It's only because we KNOW that it's a horror movie and can't end well that we think he's stupid for doing it. AND they're still operating under the assumption that they were INVITED there... the air was breathable, etc.

I like this film for NOT spending unnecessary time on trivial details because it has a larger agenda: making you think about our origins, what it means to die, Weyland's hubris is also interesting, etc. These are much loftier questions to ponder than "how should scientists behave." They should behave like people and people are unpredictable, especially in strange situations.

Wouldn't be surprised with this sequel, What questions the first movie didn't answer this one might.
I honestly wouldn't expect it to directly answer many major questions. I mean, some answers on a few things would be nice, but I think it's safer to assume that we'll get more of the same, more vague hints at explanations and more mystery. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. And from what Ridley explained before, Part 2 is supposed to stray quite a bit from Alien-type mythology, then Part 3 will bring it back around somewhat to Alien. So my guess is that we'll get more information on the Engineers themselves, some mythology in that direction, their thoughts, their fears, their beliefs, their rituals, their practices. I hope. So I doubt we'll get any direct explanations for what happened in Part 1, but we'll probably get new information on the Engineers that will shed light on the events of Part 1. I for one think that will make for a very rich and entertaining series. Might actually be similar to how The Matrix sequels built upon one another, which I also am a fan of. You have to understand that Ridley is not interested in rehashing motifs from his previous films. Which is why Prometheus has a whole expanded mythology and is not merely another Alien movie.

Myth

^ 'Ancient Gods' it's titled?? Too badass for words. [/QUOTE

What is that picture? Was it concept are for the first Prometheus?

steverules_2
Originally posted by Myth

^ 'Ancient Gods' it's titled?? Too badass for words.

I hope it's not a myth awesome

Kazenji
You are a myth that has become real.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Myth
What is that picture? Was it concept are for the first Prometheus?
I mean, it might be old concept art from development for the first film, but if so it was obviously never used, so I'm assuming it's for Paradise. It was nice of them to release some new concept art... i appreciate the tease. I think it's badass.

jaden101
It looks very 'chronicles of Riddick' y.

Robtard
I'd say H.R. Giger.

Stealth Moose
Which makes sense, considering he created the Space Jockey.

robinhugh
wow, there is prometheus 2 coming up? I'd sure look forward to that.

nudegirls

Robtard
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
Which makes sense, considering he created the Space Jockey.

I own two of his art books and there's a piece in one of the books that is identical or almost identical to that pic above, iirc.

Stealth Moose
I own two of his art books and there's a piece in one of the books that is identical or almost identical to that pic above, iirc.

I believe it.

Patient_Leech
Any way you can scan it in?

Patient_Leech
Personally, I hope the "multiple Davids" thing is a false distraction. That sounds kind of gimmicky. I'd really like to see a moody, atmospheric adventure film (ala Lawrence of Arabia) on the Engineers home world(s).

Kazenji
I read that writer also wrote the Green Lantern script, Think it might'eve been before it got a script re-write by someone else.

Patient_Leech
You're right, Michael Green is in there: Green Lantern IMDB... with a half-dozen others. lol

Kazenji
I'm sure people on here will overreact because of that & also including on the internet .

ShadowFyre
Never understood the hate for the first one. People wanted the origin of the xenos. Well there it is I guess. My only problem is it does not coincide with the Aliens and Predator mythos. Besides that I really enjoyed the movie.

Kazenji
Why would Predator be involved?....pretty sure they didn't have a space jockey with their related stuff.

ShadowFyre
Yes they did. In both the comics and movies the space jockeys are heavily related to them. A space jockeys skull is in Predator 2 and in the comics, the space jockeys are the ones that give the Yautja they're technology ( at least in one of the series).

ShadowFyre
But since the avp movies are not related to the rest its ok. In those movies the yautja have been using the xenos for sport for thousands of years. Which is closer to the comics and books despite being god awful portrayals.

Stealth Moose
This is a form of retroactive brilliance in that Yautja sometimes hunt the works of their uplifters in the form of Danny Glover and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

ShadowFyre
Lol. I can't quite remember whether it was the Yautja or the Hish that overtook the space jockeys ship and technology. Either way, seems far fetched as I would think only the largest and strongest Predator would be a physical match for a Jockey. On average, I would think not.

Time Immemorial
I am really looking forward to this movie.

sarahgood
Acid breath yo... Jockey's don't have it. I think a predator could take one out easy

Lexington
This movie is going to be awesome!

ShadowFyre
With gear, and maybe a blooded yautja could. But the jockeys were pushing like 10 feet tall.

Kazenji
Originally posted by ShadowFyre
Yes they did. In both the comics and movies the space jockeys are heavily related to them. A space jockeys skull is in Predator 2 and in the comics, the space jockeys are the ones that give the Yautja they're technology ( at least in one of the series).

Got a picture of that skull?

only skull i know if is the Xenomorph one which they put in for fun which eventually lead to the AVP comics getting done.

ShadowFyre
I will try and find one bud. Hold on

ShadowFyre
Its on the right hand side.

ShadowFyre
And for some reason images aren't posting. Just Google space jockey skull and it should show up.

Kazenji
This one?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Ash_ED/Other/cx1vy_zps57d2d1b6.png~original

i don't see it..... erm

also as for your private message regarding a trunk ...that's not really a Engineer skull.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>