The 12 worst things in the EU

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
http://io9.com/5988376/the-12-worst-things-in-the-star-wars-expanded-universe

the **** a droid that can use the force erm

SevenShackles
Wow, I now know about the unsung hero skippy the droid. Thanks for that.

Q99
Eh, I got the impression Skippy the Droid was done as a joke and the author didn't intend it to be taken seriously, so I'm not sure I'd count that.*

When it mentioned the Jedi Prince series, my reaction was, "Hey, it had the Mofference!"

Then they said, "Honestly, the only good thing about the Jedi Prince series is the reveal that Moffs hold Mofferences, which is so horrifyingly awful it comes out the other side to awesome."

So, yea, I'm ok there smile

Huh, they listed Bendorion? Personally I don't mind the odd unusual species becoming Jedi, I find it pretty cool... though, yea, having him around post-purge, and have him fall to the darkside because stereotypes, was weak.

Also, unlike what the article writers assume, the Holiday Special is still technically canon.

PS The Mofference was held on the Moff ship.

Lord Lucien
It's actually Beldorion, but poor grammar aside, that article's spot on. I'd never heard of "Hoar" but that one's kinda funny.

SevenShackles
Originally posted by Q99
Eh, I got the impression Skippy the Droid was done as a joke and the author didn't intend it to be taken seriously, so I'm not sure I'd count that.*

Oh I got that but I like such stories like Tag and Bink where unknown or small characters end up playing a larger role/help things come to be without knowing. I guess Skippy just plays to what I like. big grin

The_Tempest
I'd nominate the following for inclusion:

Dark Empire
The Old Republic
Any book with Drew Karpyshyn's name on it
Fate of the Jedi
The Crystal Star
The Mortis arc in particular, but plenty of TCW episodes
Jedi Trial
KotOR II
The Hand of Thrawn duology
Outbound Flight

Col. Valerian
The Crystal Star is in there.

GOD, all suck. I can't believe I love SW.

Ascendancy
I'll come up with a real list later but let me start with one name to rule them all: Darth Caedus. Whackist Sith-Lord wannabe to come down the pipeline. Waste of a character and so much potential.

Ben Skywalker is also on my list. One freaking annoying action after another.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by The_Tempest

KotOR II http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwujnryxwf1qg1yal.jpg

Tzeentch._

Dark Empire
The Old Republic
Any book with Drew Karpyshyn's name on it
Fate of the Jedi
The Crystal Star
The Mortis arc in particular, but plenty of TCW episodes
Jedi Trial
KotOR II
Outbound Flight

thumb up

KOTOR2 and Fate of the Jedi especially.

Col. Valerian
No, the The Crystal Star especially.

That s*** literally makes me sad. It couldn't possibly be more awful.

The_Tempest
Originally posted by Col. Valerian
No, the The Crystal Star especially.

That s*** literally makes me sad. It couldn't possibly be more awful.

I beg to differ. It didn't have Drew Karpyshyn's name on it.

Q99
I beg to differ. It didn't have Drew Karpyshyn's name on it.

Even though I don't like his stuff either, I'm going to have to side with Col. Valerian on this one.

Lord Lucien
Crystal Star had extra dimensional goo. Even Karpy never went full retard.

Nephthys

Huh, I thought all the Thrawn stuff was good.

The_Tempest
The hell you say?

Dark side tentacles. ahuh

You were under the impression that the Thrawn stuff was good or you read it all and in your opinion they are all good?

Col. Valerian
The hell you say?

You heard. biscuits

Lord Lucien
Dark side tentacles. ahuh Slender Man would make a wonderful Sith Lord.

The_Tempest
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Slender Man would make a wonderful Sith Lord.

Well, Darth Sidious is slender, I suppose. In a very masculine way.

Q99
The hell you say?

Dark side tentacles. ahuh

Extradimensional goo cult. That Luke joins.

The_Tempest
Originally posted by Q99
Extradimensional goo cult. That Luke joins.

If you found extradimensional, omnipotent goo, wouldn't you join its cult?

Nephthys
You were under the impression that the Thrawn stuff was good or you read it all and in your opinion they are all good?

The first. Almost everyone I've heard talk about it says that Thrawn was an awesome part of the EU.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Nephthys
The first. Almost everyone I've heard talk about it says that Thrawn was an awesome part of the EU. The duology, though? He wasn't even really in it.

The_Tempest
The first. Almost everyone I've heard talk about it says that Thrawn was an awesome part of the EU.

Thrawn's great as long as you don't buy into the long percolating cult of personality surrounding him in the EU. Remember, Thrawn is the proto-Revan: a figure of enigmatic brilliance and ambiguous morality. The stupid and the insecure flock to him like ants to sugar.

The Thrawn Trilogy was great (not perfect, mind you, but great) because Thrawn was introduced as a threatening presence who was nonetheless fallible in the extreme. Thwarted by Lando Calrissian, duped by C'baoth, foiled by his own bodyguard, etc.

Zahn started to buy too much into his own hype and, in the Hand of Thrawn duology, the rumor of Thrawn's resurrection is sufficient to nearly implode the New Republic. It was the beginning of the end, for all mentions of Thrawn by Zahn afterwards were aggrandized in the extreme.

Lord Lucien
Outbound Flight read like a piece of 30's German propaganda. The amount of Thrawn cock Zahn sucked writing that book is unimaginable.

The_Tempest
Yeah, the book was terrible. That's why I lol pretty hard when people fall to their knees before the Zahn altar. He hasn't put out a good one since The Last Command.

Now, Sean Stewart's Dark Rendezvous... the standard for quality SW writing.

Q99
A thing about Thrawn is his image of perfection is something purposefully crafted in-universe. He makes mistakes, quite a few of them, and he especially has a blindspot for less military foes. However, the perception made others nervous which in turn served him.

If you found extradimensional, omnipotent goo, wouldn't you join its cult?

It was hardly omnipotent. It had healing abilities and was allied with a darksider.

The_Tempest
+Vaapad

Arhael
Crystal Star is outstrips anything by far. Her another book is "Allies". While it was readable she managed to describe supposed to be one of the best fights of FotJ in a way that I was still clueless of what was going on in that fight.

Karpyshyn books are actually readable and I actually enjoyed reading Revan. Only after, when you start analyzing events and evaluating feats, you realize what a bullcrap it is. It's like AotC, you like it at first but then realize how many flaws it has.

Jedi Prince. At that point I just started reading SW books. I literally forced myself to read these series for the sake of continuity only to find out that they are non-canon.

Red Harvest. The book is basically about zombies. While I don't mind zombies, the book started by introducing characters only them to be killed without any purpose or benefit for the story.

RotS novel. Specifically all that center of the universe, pristine clarity, superconducting loop and avatar of light overly colorful descriptions that simply make no sense.

Apocalypse. While I like Troy Denning in general, especially how he portrays combat, this book was generally boring. Alana shooting down several Sith Sabers with blaster was the most stupid part.

Lost Tribe of the Sith series. All boring but one with love story.

Jaina Solo's romances. Simply can't recall more non-romantic romances than hers. :/

TCW movie and first episodes. Stupid story arc in movie. First episodes had no real purpose, just separate war events and nothing that would make you hold your breath and low characterization, still enjoyed them as SW geek but that's the only reason.

Bane books trilogy just to make it 12. I didn't even read it. But, when on digging feats I discovered that Karpyshin portrayed Force statis from game, that sealed the deal.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Arhael
Red Harvest. The book is basically about zombies. While I don't mind zombies, the book started by introducing characters only them to be killed without any purpose or benefit for the story. So... a typical zombie story then?

The War Dragon
TCW TV show and movie.
The Force Unleashed Game series.
Most of the comics imo, not including the stuff by KJA.
Jedi Prince series.
The Holiday Special.

ares834
So... a typical zombie story then?

Apparently there was also a talking flower in it...

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by ares834
Apparently there was also a talking flower in it... Hmm... sounds familiar.

Vensai
Quite frankly, the EU has some good points. But like fanfiction, the majority of material is simply not close to the masterpieces the movies were (regardless of which trilogy you liked better).

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Vensai
Quite frankly, the EU has some good points. But like fanfiction, the majority of material is simply not close to the masterpieces the movies were (regardless of which trilogy you liked better). "Masterpiece" is a strong word for even the Originals. But to remotely equate it with the Prequels... that's just... ugh.

The_Tempest
Ironically, the best of the EU is localized around the prequels.

axel_jovan
"Masterpiece" is a strong word for even the Originals. But to remotely equate it with the Prequels... that's just... ugh.
thumb up

Q99
Ironically, the best of the EU is localized around the prequels.

Yea. And the worst EU is often around the originals.

Say what you will for the prequels, but they firmly establish, "This is what Jedi look like, this is how they fight. It's not about magic-y powers or aliens-of-the-week or Luke learning the latest new force power."

The_Tempest
Originally posted by Q99
Yea. And the worst EU is often around the originals.

thumb up

Though the Old Republic era gives it stiff competition.

Originally posted by Q99
Say what you will for the prequels, but they firmly establish, "This is what Jedi look like, this is how they fight. It's not about magic-y powers or aliens-of-the-week or Luke learning the latest new force power."

I believe the success of the EU surrounding the prequels owes more to Palpatine.

Tzeentch._
that's because you're a filthy palpatine fanboy though thumb up

Q99
The EU quality started peaking up after ep 1, before Palpatine did much in the PT.

The_Tempest
Originally posted by Q99
The EU quality started peaking up after ep 1, before Palpatine did much in the PT.

Silence, heretic. Palpatine's ascent was pretty much the central storyline in TPM, per Lucas himself.

Better than being a filthy Obi-Wan fanb1tch. My man can take yours all day, any day. uhuh

Q99
Silence, heretic. Palpatine's ascent was pretty much the central storyline in TPM, per Lucas himself.

Not that people knew it at the time smile I mean, it was arc important, but he didn't awe people yet.

It was really RotS where he shined.

Arhael
So... a typical zombie story then?
Yes. Apparently it works in films but in books it completely failed for me. I mean there was plenty of characters that I expected to survive for as long as possible and being in the center of the story. But they meaninglessly died after few pages. I expected at least one such character from Sith but there was non.

Kazenji
Have you read that other zombie star wars story, Death Troopers

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Troopers

Based
KOTOR 2 isn't even close to being one of the worst Star Wars "things."

Kazenji
It did have bugs & Glitches with the PC version

but even that doesn't make it worst.

The_Tempest
Originally posted by Based
KOTOR 2 isn't even close to being one of the worst Star Wars "things."

It's up there, really. Overly pretentious and nonsensical tripe.

Lord Lucien
Also disappointing. Nothing makes a medium bad like failing to live up to expectations.

The_Tempest
My roommates are mild Star Wars fans and dedicated gamers; we had a good laugh at the scene where the Exile confronts the Jedi Masters on Dantooine before Kreia intervenes and wipes them out. All of them.

I have no doubt Chris Avellone has all the makings of a fine writer, but he overreached dramatically. Leave that shit to Sean Stewart, Matthew Stover, James Luceno, or even Michael Reaves.

Nephthys
You guys are ridiculous. laughing

You only dislike it Tempest because you've spent so long analyzing it. Anything would seem bad if you picked it apart as much as you have.

The_Tempest
You guys are ridiculous. laughing

You only dislike it Tempest because you've spent so long analyzing it. Anything would seem bad if you picked it apart as much as you have.

I'm a fisherman par excellence.

Nephthys
Whats really amusing is how you say 'I have no doubt Chris Avellone has all the makings of a fine writer' despite him writing Planescape: Torment, widely considered to have the finest writing of any video game. Also Fallout: New Vagas.

The_Tempest
Whats really amusing is how you say 'I have no doubt Chris Avellone has all the makings of a fine writer' despite him writing Planescape: Torment, widely considered to have the finest writing of any video game. Also Fallout: New Vagas.

So you mean to say, I'm right about him?

widely considered to have the finest writing

Son, when are you going to start forming your own opinions and thoughts unaided by the tenuous consensus of a capricious society? uhuh

Nephthys
When I play Planescape and agree with them because it really is that well-written?

Oh wait, that already happened. wink

And no, you're wrong, because Avellone is a far superior writer to those clowns you mentioned. haermm

The_Tempest
Well, I'd cry and rabidly defend those clowns, but I don't wanna steal your shtick. 313

Nephthys
I only cry during rough anal sex hon. wink

The_Tempest
I remember, my sweet.

The War Dragon

Only hayters would deny that Hideo Kojima is best videogame writer ever, by far. Fallout is not ezactly known for having a good story.

Lord Lucien
New Vegas has a very interesting world story, but a very poor personal story. KotOR II kicks New Vegas' ass when it comes to the player character.

Based
It's up there, really. Overly pretentious and nonsensical tripe.

Pretentious as in the Jedi Council? Well yes, they died for that reason. Kreia for that matter too.

It's a rare Star Wars game where it's not a simple story of an epic hero. Granted KOTOR had a great story, but you can see the epic hero in various forms of media.

KOTOR 2 isn't a classic but it had a unique story dealing with the behind the scenes of rebuilding the Republic rather than just eliminating the biggest threat. And this is Star Wars, every other thing is nonsensical to the overall canon.

Lord Lucien
The premise was wonderful, the execution lackluster.

Nephthys
New Vegas has a very interesting world story, but a very poor personal story. KotOR II kicks New Vegas' ass when it comes to the player character.

Well as an open-world RPG, NV is skewed more towards that side of the narrative. The whole point is to enable a broad range of player characters. And it's still better in that respect than, say, Skyrim.

Also you can hit on your own brain, I mean come on. wink

The War Dragon
but a very poor personal story.

Which is whats important imo.,

Lord Lucien
Well as an open-world RPG, NV is skewed more towards that side of the narrative. The whole point is to enable a broad range of player characters. And it's still better in that respect than, say, Skyrim.

Also you can hit on your own brain, I mean come on. wink Yeah, Skyrim blew chunks in the player character department. Makes up for it, though.

Originally posted by The War Dragon
Which is whats important imo., Ditto. It's very hard to feel invested in the Bethesda sandboxes, since who and what you are doesn't really seem to matter. I make an exception for Fallout 3--that one does have a world-story that's intricately tied in with the PC's personal story. Not the greatest, by any means, but decent for what it is.

The_Tempest
Originally posted by Based
Pretentious as in the Jedi Council?

Pretentious as in the dialogue and plot in general.

A better idea, I think, would have been to focus on G0-T0 and his unique storyline with respect to reconstructing the Republic and marginalizing the Jedi & Sith in the post-Revan vacuum.

ares834

Yeah, gotta give Obsidian credit they managed to create a compelling storyline which is pretty much unprecedented in any sandbox game.

The War Dragon
GTA which is bo yn means has the best storyline, still has a much better one than fallout and it is also a sandbox game.

edit - In fact, Red Dead Redemption has the best story out of all the sandbox games.

ares834
Good point didn't even consider those ones. Although, I'd argue NV has a better story than GTA.

chilled monkey
Originally posted by ares834
Apparently there was also a talking flower in it...

No there wasn't. "Red Harvest" did not have a talking flower, it had a telepathic flower. And the only person who could talk to it was Hestizo Trace (who is awesome BTW).

"Red Harvest" was a great book. Yes, it had a lot of character deaths but that's what happens in zombie stories.

juyomaster34
Jacen Solo/Darth Cadeus absolutely worst character ever...
The New Jedi Order
fast style
medium style
strong style
zombie SW book waste of time,paper,ink.....
Vader's Ghost prison
Vader and 9th asssassin
killing Chewbacca too soon
All the SW books after ROTJ (In the NJO ) of course....
I'll get back I'm still thinking.....

Q99
Those were just for a video game, and before the 7-forms were invented.

Nephthys
http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130507183944/starwars/images/4/4a/MountSorrow01-E7.png

Mount Sorrow, the sentient mountain.

no expression

Lord Lucien
Seems like something Disney would hang on to.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.