I AM Your Father!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jmoul
Everybody knows and loves the "I am your father" scene of ESB. My question is what was the general reaction that fans had when they saw the movie for the first time, without any knowledge of what happens from anybody else? Was it expected or was it a complete shock to those who saw it?

PhoenixSam5
Originally posted by jmoul
Everybody knows and loves the "I am your father" scene of ESB. My question is what was the general reaction that fans had when they saw the movie for the first time, without any knowledge of what happens from anybody else? Was it expected or was it a complete shock to those who saw it?

It was the same reaction that people got at any movie plot twist. eek! eek! eek! eek!

JediRobin23
I knew Vader was his father before I seen the actual movies. What a surprise!!!!

queeq
Good for you.

But it was a huge shock at the time. I remember hoping between ESB and ROTJ at the time that it wouldn't be true. That Vader lied.

Vensai
I heard a rumor that Harrison Ford was pretty surprised since this was a closely kept secret on set.

queeq
No one knew, except Lucas, Kasdan, Kershner and Hamill.

JediRobin23
Hamill?

Vensai
Originally posted by JediRobin23
Hamill?

Mark Hamill. You know... Luke Skywalker himself?

jmoul
Originally posted by Vensai
Mark Hamill. You know... Luke Skywalker himself?

Not anymore, I heard that in the new trilogy from Disney there will be a different actor for Luke.

Vensai
Originally posted by jmoul
Not anymore, I heard that in the new trilogy from Disney there will be a different actor for Luke.

Really. Well, we won't know till they actually release it.

juggerman
I remember seeing an interview of James Earl Jones where he said he read the line and was stunned, and he even asked if Vader was lying at this point. Guess it was a real well kept secret. As for me i didn't see any of the movies at all until after Episode III was on dvd so i was well aware going in Vader was Luke's father and Leia was his sister. I now feel extremely jipped

queeq
It was well kept. They even kept David Prowse out of the loop, because he was notoious in leaking info.

Vensai
Originally posted by queeq
It was well kept. They even kept David Prowse out of the loop, because he was notoious in leaking info.

Well, now it's a spoiler everyone knows regardless of whether or not they watch SW.

queeq
Yeah, sure just like everyone knows about Bruce Willis in the Sixth Sense. So what?
But here Vader being Luke's father is not the crux of the trilogy. So it still works.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.