What did the Empire plan on doing with the second death star?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PhoenixSam5
They blew up Alderaan with the DS1 in ANH, did they plan on blowing up any more planets after that? Didn't they already rule through fear at that point? Was the death star created to destroy many planets for whatever reason?

Also, (speculation) about how many planets do you think the Empire would have destroyed with the DS2 if they won the war at the end of ROTJ, and for what reasons, exactly?

-Pr-
The way I understood it was that it was similar to why countries developed the first atomic weapon.

Nobody will mess with the Empire when they can blow up your planet.

Ushgarak
As ANH clearly points out, rule through fear was only made possible by the Death Star.

PhoenixSam5
Originally posted by Ushgarak
As ANH clearly points out, rule through fear was only made possible by the Death Star.

I know, but was the Empire planning on destroying more planets with the second death star? Wasn't the rule through fear already accomplished by the time of ROTJ?

The reason that we didn't see them destroy planets with the DS2 was because right after it became operational (it wasn't operational at the start of ROTJ), they were already using it in a war and it was destroyed before we really saw how they would use it in normal times, so it's kinda hart to say.

But maybe they wouldn't have destroyed any planets with the DS2 because they were already ruling through fear?

Also, what does ruling through fear mean, exactly? Was Palpatine kinda like Stalin, a dictator who committed atrocities out of paranoia and wanting to control people a paranoid fear?

steverules_2
He would destroy planets that weren't on his side

/thread

Placidity
I reckon the could've just made a second fake Deathstar (or several of them) to save money and it would be just as effective as a threat.

Superman could tank it btw.

Vensai
Death stars are only useful for scaring and blowing up.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.