Clone Wars Winding Down.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

-Pr-
So yeah:

http://starwars.com/news/a-new-direction-for-lucasfilm-animation.html

Not very clear what they're doing, but it's looking like the series is almost ever, sadly.

Hybris
Sad news indeed, although we all knew it was coming, when season six still had not been announced. I think it's safe to say that Disney is behind this. I mean, the way Filone was talking, it looked like one of those hostage videos in which the hostage is forced to read a message against his/her will.

Anyway, I'm wondering how they will be releasing the remaining material... Maybe as one hour specials on Disney channel? Feature movies (like the one that introduced Ahsoka) will be to expensive, I guess, and also remove attention from Episode VII...

Ushgarak
I remember when they started they said they were going to do about 5 years' worth., so they hit their goal.

DARTH POWER
Oh winding down's fine. It just would have been terrible if they ended it the way it is.

It's gone on 5 seasons already and the clone wars obviously can't last too many years.

Am intrigued though what new series they're planning.

juggernaut74
Lucas said 100 episodes and they exceeded that so this isn't bad news or surprising news. We knew it was coming. Can't wait for details on the new show, maybe we'll finally get a live action series.

-Pr-
I just hope we get a different resolution to the Ahsoka arc, and that we get to see what happens to Maul.

LanceWindu
No more seasons, but I'm sure there will be a TV movie to wrap up storylines.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by -Pr-
I just hope we get a different resolution to the Ahsoka arc, and that we get to see what happens to Maul.

Originally posted by LanceWindu
No more seasons, but I'm sure there will be a TV movie to wrap up storylines.

Either way they'll finish the big stories. That's the point of Winding Down I take it and not just outright cancelling it as it is.

Peach
Not surprised. The ending of season 5 really felt like a series ending, not a season ending, to me.

DARTH POWER
But I think there will be 1 more season. Filoni has made clear there that there's still a few more arcs to tell.

It's just clear the next season will end it all.

Hybris
Let's hope we get 20 more episodes, regardless of how they are released. The quality of the show had been going up through season 3 and reached its climax in the season 5 Mandelore arc. So if Filoni says that the best episodes are yet to come, he has my attention smile

-Pr-
http://fullofsith.com/

Interview with Padme and Obi-Wan. Interesting in the sense that Taylor (Obi-Wan) says that most of season 6, if not the whole season, was actually already completed.

DARTH POWER
Interesting in the sense that Taylor (Obi-Wan) says that most of season 6, if not the whole season, was actually already completed.

It was. Filoni's earlier comments made that clear. I think Disney have just told him the show is finishing, so they will have to make changes to what they've already made to wrap it up- I'm guessing.

-Pr-
I got from Filoni that some of it, but not to the extent Taylor said, had been done, so this is new to me.

DARTH POWER
I'm a bit confused now. I don't think there will be a 6th season from reading all the news on it.

Not sure how they will bring us these last arcs. TV Movies maybe?

-Pr-
Probably. Or on dvd or something. I doubt we'll see them as weekly episodes.

Listening to that interview some more, they revealed that there are Order 66 episodes (that other video being a major part im assuming), and some more Yoda stuff that we're supposed to see.

DARTH POWER
Have to have something finishing off the Darth Maul Arc. And something wrapping up Ventress's and Ashoka's fates too.

Can't just have those characters randomly hanging somewhere post ROTS.

-Pr-
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Have to have something finishing off the Darth Maul Arc. And something wrapping up Ventress's and Ashoka's fates too.

Can't just have those characters randomly hanging somewhere post ROTS.

Yup. Hopefully we get that, too.

Galan007
And something wrapping up Ventress's and Ashoka's fates too.

Can't just have those characters randomly hanging somewhere post ROTS. Tell that to Shaak Ti and Quinlan Vos. stick out tongue

But yeah, I'm sure they'll kill-off Ventress and Ashoka... They almost have to.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Galan007
Tell that to Shaak Ti and Quinlan Vos. stick out tongue

But yeah, I'm sure they'll kill-off Ventress and Ashoka... They almost have to.

I still don't know which ending is canon for Shaak Ti. sad

Galan007
^ Her death in TFU is the only one that is canon.

Originally she was supposed to die by Grievous' hands in RotS, but Lucas deleted that scene.

-Pr-
^ Her death in TFU is the only one that is canon.

Originally she was supposed to die by Grievous' hands in RotS, but Lucas deleted that scene.

Yeah, I remember seeing it on the dvd. Then she had that scene in the temple in the novelisation, I think it was.

So TFU is the canon one? Eh, I suppose that will do, even if I don't really dig how canon that whole game series is supposed to be.

Galan007
^ Yeah, I don't much like how games=canonicity, but that's typically how it works with SW material... At least TFU also has a novel and comic that canonize it a bit more, though. /shrug

-Pr-
^ Yeah, I don't much like how games=canonicity, but that's typically how it works with SW material... At least TFU also has a novel and comic that canonize it a bit more, though. /shrug

I haven't read either of them. I remember enjoying the fight itself in the game, even if he was a total Marty Stu.

Galan007
I've not played the game, but Galen and Shaak Ti's battle in the novel and comic is pretty epic.

-Pr-
I've not played the game, but Galen and Shaak Ti's battle in the novel and comic is pretty epic.

Nice. It wasn't bad in the game, and I was fortunate enough to not know she was going to be in it before coming face to face with her.

DARTH POWER
I don't actually think we will get anything more from Ventress or Ashoka. It seems like they're not going to make anymore and just wrap things up from whatever season 6 footage they have. So if they had anything on Ashoka chances are they will just leave that out now.

Sad really.

Just hope they finished Maul's story.

Have to say I'm not really liking this Disney purchase thing right now. TCW was planning on 8 seasons.

-Pr-
Yeah; Taylor mentioned that even with Episode 7 coming out, they were still thinking they'd get at least seven.

Vensai
Well we knew this was coming. I'm kinda hoping they'd do a TV series version of ROTS with better acting.

REXXXX
Eh, their original goal was 100 episodes, which was five seasons.

I'm guessing the sixth season (which was confirmed) will be coming out on the Official Site in installments, as they have been doing in conjunction with live airing on Cartoon Network.

DARTH POWER
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/04/05/the-clone-wars-dave-filoni-developing-the-next-star-wars-animated-series

This is actually old news now, but I've just read it now and doesn't seem to have been posted here.

Anyway Dave Filoni will be onboard for any new animation. So hopefully anything not wrapped up in the "bonus material" could be dealt with at some point in the new animation assuming it takes place after the Clone Wars (which I'm guessing it will).

Vensai
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/04/05/the-clone-wars-dave-filoni-developing-the-next-star-wars-animated-series

This is actually old news now, but I've just read it now and doesn't seem to have been posted here.

Anyway Dave Filoni will be onboard for any new animation. So hopefully anything not wrapped up in the "bonus material" could be dealt with at some point in the new animation assuming it takes place after the Clone Wars (which I'm guessing it will).
Sounds great. I hope it's worth waiting for.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Vensai
We can pnly hope season 6 will pull through.

http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2013/07/27/swce-2013-friday/

I think most of it will be aired or available on DVD or whatever, simply because they already made most of it.

It still won't have a proper ending though because it was never the planned final season. But lets hope they can sort something out.

Vensai
I think most of it will be aired or available on DVD or whatever, simply because they already made most of it.

It still won't have a proper ending though because it was never the planned final season. But lets hope they can sort something out.
The real way to end TCW would be to lead up to RoTS, and the micro series already did that.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Vensai
The real way to end TCW would be to lead up to RoTS, and the micro series already did that.

I think the intention was for the final season to basically overwrite the micro series. But obviously that won't be happening now. But I'll be disappointed if they don't at least produce a final episode leading to ROTS.

ROTJ Vader
They said we would get bonus content....Wonder when it will happen.

Vensai
Originally posted by ROTJ Vader
They said we would get bonus content....Wonder when it will happen.
They are not under obligation to release new content, but I think they will on their own time.

juggernaut74
Some news on the rest of remaining episodes.

http://www.411mania.com/movies/news/300429/-Final-Episodes-for-Star-Wars:-The-Clone-Wars-to-be-Released-Next-Year.htm

DARTH POWER
About time we got some news!

Can't wait to see the Yoda arc.

Edit- And I hope they've wrapped the series up appropriately.

DARTH POWER
The final Darth Maul arc coming to us in comic form since they never produced it:

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/125753-star-wars-clone-wars-gets-a-finale-via-comics.html

Kind of disappointing the show was just suddenly finished and the final arcs not made for television.

Galan007
Granted I'd rather see the arc on-screen, but at least they're releasing it through some type of medium... I didn't figure they ever would, tbh.

DARTH POWER
I agree I should be grateful for that. So many good shows get cancelled without proper endings which is very frustrating.

But on the other hand with this, anything not resolved could have been resolved in the upcoming animation Rebels, as that takes place after TCW and has many of the same creators.

And it's obvious something as big as Darth Maul still being alive in SW canon would have to be resolved one way or another. So I'm just a little disappointed that they've chosen this route to finish that arc.

I read comics, so it's not too bad for me I guess. But for your general tv audience who don't read comics, they're being denied an ending to an arc that was marketed so heavily when it began.

Galan007
I read comics, so it's not too bad for me I guess. But for your general tv audience who don't read comics, they're being denied an ending to an arc that was marketed so heavily when it began. True, but I'm not one of those people either, so the whole comic book thing doesn't bother me in the slightest. All I'm hoping for at this point is that they bring in a good writer and artist who can do this arc the justice it deserves. I will be thoroughly disappointed if I see mediocre dialogue and/or child-level artwork. Either of those can ruin a series.

The perfect scenario would be if they brought in Blackman and Alessio for this project. They were the writer/artist duo responsible for 'Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison', which is the best SW mini ever published, imo.

-Pr-
This is actually the right thread for my post. Dammit. Originally posted by -Pr-
Finally! http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=114823

Galan007
Awesome. thumb up

juggernaut74
Great, I don't have Netflix. Can anybody tell me if Netfllix streams the 80's GI Joes, Transformers, and He-Man cartoons? And what about Comics cartoons in General?

ares834
Hpd501LM6T8

Looks like we are getting another Sidious/Yoda battle. Hopefully, it's just a vision or illusion.

Lord Lucien
F*ckin' hopefully.

Galan007
Originally posted by ares834
Hpd501LM6T8

Looks like we are getting another Sidious/Yoda battle. Hopefully, it's just a vision or illusion. The scene in question is at 2:22.

Anyway, I'm sure it is just a vision or divergent manifestation of Palpatine--it looked as though Yoda was going through several rigorous levels of 'tests' during that trailer, after all... I wouldn't even expect the animated series to take THAT big of a shit on Lucas-continuity. /shrug

juggernaut74
I think something similar is happening when Luke first started his Jedi training with Yoda.

DARTH POWER
Continuity problems aside, wouldn't Yoda vs Sidious be an awesome way to end TCW?

I seriously wouldn't mind if it's the real thing.

Omega Vision
No sign of Ventress in that trailer?

-Pr-
Hopefully she'll appear; she's one of my favourite EU characters.

Also, this goes up tomorrow!

DARTH POWER
If she doesn't show up in the last episodes, then I'm sure she'll show up in the new show Rebels at some point. Seen as she's a fan favorite who hasn't been canonically killed off in any medium yet.

Can't wait to catch the final episodes.

juggernaut74
Originally posted by Omega Vision
No sign of Ventress in that trailer? Don't think we'll see her.

NTJack0
Have you guys seen the episodes yet?

ares834
Yep. Easily some of the best yet.

King Joker
Yep. Easily some of the best yet.
Agreed.

juggernaut74
Just watched the first episode from season 6 and it was pretty good.

-Pr-
Watching soon... Can't wait.

Galan007
So I went ahead and watched the final few episodes first(had to see what the Yoda/Palpatine clash was all about.) Much to my surprise, the battle between them wasn't real in the physical sense... Although you could argue that a real fight between them in that particular setting would have played out the same way, given that they essentially battled one another on the astral plane.<------Do not highlight unless you want major spoilers.

Anyway, Yoda's final 'realization'(you'll know what I'm talking about when you watch the last episode) was an absolutely perfect way to conclude the series.

DARTH POWER
I've watched all of them now except the Yoda Arc. Looks like that's where all the excitement is, but was a bit much to cramp it all in one day.

Anyway found the Mace and Jar Jar Arc disappointing, but enjoyed the Clone Trooper Arc and the Clovis Arc was pretty interesting.

Ushgarak
Finally catching up- I am perpetually three years behind on Clone Wars. In many ways a good job they've stopped or I'd never catch up.

Are there any plans to release the concluding half-season on DVD, do we know?

Galan007
I've watched all of them now except the Yoda Arc. Looks like that's where all the excitement is The Yoda arc is by far the best, imo.

juggernaut74
Good to see Embo is still roaming the universe. I wonder if we'll ever see Cad Bane or Ventress again?

ares834
I'm sure Cad Bane will appear in Rebels. But I'm content with what the CW did with Ventress.

juggernaut74
I forgot but what became of Ventress? I know she helped Anakin catch Barriss but that's all I can remember.

ares834
That's the last we see of her, yeah. But basically Dooku betrays her, she goes to get help from the Nightsisters but the Separatists wipe them out, and then she becomes a bounty hunter

She's still out there, but I think her arc was wrapped up pretty nicely.

Galan007
Plus they'll need to have a few 'known' antagonists appear in Rebels to help satiate the preexisting CW fanbase, imo.

juggernaut74
I'm guessing there is a 13 year or so gap between CW and Rebels.

ares834
On a different note, these episodes show that Dooku was working with Sidious before TPM. This is evident as Sifo-Dyas was killed at the behest of Dooku when Valorum was the Chancellor.

Galan007
^ Technically, that could have still taken place during TPM, as Valorum was still the Chancellor for part of the film until Padme issued a vote of no-confidence. /shrug

King Joker
I actually liked the Mace & Jar Jar arc, I loved the contrast between the two, but the Mace vs. Talzin fight was disappointing.

ares834
^ Technically, that could have still taken place during TPM, as Valorum was still the Chancellor for part of the film until Padme issued a vote of no-confidence. /shrug

True. I was just trying to simplifying what I said. Either way it differs from what happened in the EU as Dooku was working with Sidious prior to Qui-Gon's death.

Originally posted by King Joker
I actually liked the Mace & Jar Jar arc, I loved the contrast between the two, but the Mace vs. Talzin fight was disappointing.

It was surprising alright for a Jar Jar centric arc. But I wasn't a fan of the idea that Talzin could become uber powerful by using some stupid ritual. Plus, they focused on Jar Jar's bumbling antics rather than the Talzin/Windu fight... Meh.

-Pr-
On episode 8, enjoying it so far...

Dammit Jar-Jar... I didn't see THAT coming.

Galan007
True. I was just trying to simplifying what I said. Either way it differs from what happened in the EU as Dooku was working with Sidious prior to Qui-Gon's death. EU material has Dooku as a Sith 10 years before the battle Geonosis--so pretty much during TPM.

ares834
But still afterwords. Qui-Gon's death was the catalyst that drove him to join the Sith.

King Joker
Awesome seeing Jar Jar getting some pussy though...

Galan007
But still afterwords. Qui-Gon's death was the catalyst that drove him to join the Sith. Ah yes. Same year, but just a smidgen after Jinn's death. thumb up

-Pr-
Those ****ing feels...

Bit disappointed that I didn't see more of my favourites, but that Yoda arc... ****ing hell.

I am sooo gonna miss this show; when it's at its best, it's every bit the reason I continue to be a die-hard SW fan.

Galan007
Those ****ing feels...

Bit disappointed that I didn't see more of my favourites, but that Yoda arc... ****ing hell.

I am sooo gonna miss this show; when it's at its best, it's every bit the reason I continue to be a die-hard SW fan. thumb up The ending couldn't have been much better, imo.

-Pr-
Agreed. At first I was in two minds about it, as it almost seemed like resignation, but for Yoda, the force is so much greater than "crude matter", so it fits.

There were a few things I would have liked to see, like Ahsoka, Ventress and Maul, but as far as endings go, It really was excellent.

Galan007
Agreed. At first I was in two minds about it, as it almost seemed like resignation, but for Yoda, the force is so much greater than "crude matter", so it fits. Same here. In a sense, Yoda did resign. He knew that the Jedi had no hope of winning the Clone Wars... But he also knew there was a chance for the order to achieve ultimate victory in the grand scheme of things. I dug that.

There were a few things I would have liked to see, like Ahsoka, Ventress and Maul, but as far as endings go, It really was excellent. I was shocked not to see them. I'm hoping they play *some* type of role in Rebels.

DARTH POWER

I was shocked not to see them. I'm hoping they play *some* type of role in Rebels.

Same here.

ares834
Meh, I'd rather Rebels be its own thing than just a continuation of TCW. Now I'm hoping for Ahsoka to appear but I think bringing Maul in would be a big mistake as if you haven't seen TCW you're gonna be hella confused.

DARTH POWER
But at the same time I think it's a bit wrong to bring back such a big character on TV, but then finish his story off in a comic book.

Besides they can do a quick recap on Rebels, and let's face it, it wouldn't harm ratings. But we'll have to see if he survives in the comic book first.

-Pr-
Same here. In a sense, Yoda did resign. He knew that the Jedi had no hope of winning the Clone Wars... But he also knew there was a chance for the order to achieve ultimate victory in the grand scheme of things. I dug that.

I was shocked not to see them. I'm hoping they play *some* type of role in Rebels.

Yeah. I wouldn't have believed it if it was Mace or Kenobi, but Yoda? It fits.

I need to look up this Rebels show, as I keep hearing things about it. I hope we do see all three when the time comes.

Galan007
Heh, just realized that Liam Neeson actually voiced Qui-Gon in episode 11. Awesome. thumb up

juggernaut74
Heh, just realized that Liam Neeson actually voiced Qui-Gon in episode 11. Awesome. thumb up I was wondering that myself. Was Terrance Stamp voicing Valorum I wonder?

DARTH POWER
^ No, Terrence Stamp didn't enjoy being in TPM. But Liam Neeson is still a die hard SW fan, and was always hoping to make it into ROTS as a Force Ghost. So this would have been the next best thing for him.

Galan007
Originally posted by juggernaut74
I was wondering that myself. It's legit:
http://i.imgur.com/iLrnkvG.jpg

I think it's awesome that a major celebrity isn't 'too good' to lend their voice to an animated TV series. Mad respect for Liam. thumb up

-Pr-
Heh, just realized that Liam Neeson actually voiced Qui-Gon in episode 11. Awesome. thumb up

Yeah, that was awesome. Kudos to him for being so good about it.

ares834
He also voiced Qui-Gon in the Mortis episodes as well.

On a different note, I find it kinda amusing that Mark Hamill voices Darth Bane. Now he voices the Last of the Jedi and the Last of the Sith.

King Joker
What TCW characters do you think and/or want to be in Rebels?

Galan007
Personally I'd like to see: Quinlan Vos(I know, don't hold my breath), Ahsoka, and Asajj play a part in Rebels.

...And I'm really hoping Maul's story is tidied up nicely in the upcoming comic series.

King Joker
Personally I'd like to see: Quinlan Vos(I know, don't hold my breath), Ahsoka, and Asajj play a part in Rebels.

...And I'm really hoping Maul's story is tidied up nicely in the upcoming comic series.
I agree, Vos would be cool. I also want to see Captain Rex or Depa Billaba.

-Pr-

I don't really care about Vos, but definitely the other three.

And I want to know if Mace actually survived.

Galan007
I don't really care about Vos http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/10/108495/3488860-7389635155-seaga.gif

And I want to know if Mace actually survived. Boy, what an epic shit on continuity it would be if he were revealed to be alive. g007_teehee

-Pr-
laughing out loud

I don't hate him, he just never grabbed my attention in the comics. I always felt like he was a bit of a Marty Stu, so I wasn't really interested in him.

lol, it would, but **** it, his death was so badly done in ROTS that I have to believe it was possible.

DARTH POWER
I have the feeling Disney wants to leave the PT era behind. So I'm not expecting many connections to the PT films now. People like Ashoka, Vos, and Ventress are always possible though since they were never in the films, and I don't think TCW gets that same hate that the PT gets.

-Pr-
I have the feeling Disney wants to leave the PT era behind. So I'm not expecting many connections to the PT films now. People like Ashoka, Vos, and Ventress are always possible though since they were never in the films, and I don't think TCW gets that same hate that the PT gets.

That's because it did the PT better than the PT for the most part.

DARTH POWER
Well I'm not really on the PT hate wagon, but do admit TCW expanded on those movies very nicely, filling in necessary gaps in the overall plot and character development.

Galan007
laughing out loud

I don't hate him, he just never grabbed my attention in the comics. I always felt like he was a bit of a Marty Stu, so I wasn't really interested in him. Oh, now see I thought his story in Republic(particularly his post-Order 666 story) was one of the better stories throughout the comic-based medium. I loved what they did with him.

-Pr-
Well I'm not really on the PT hate wagon, but do admit TCW expanded on those movies very nicely, filling in necessary gaps in the overall plot and character development.

I don't hate the PT as a whole. There are parts I like, and parts I despise. I do think, though, that they're seriously beneath the Original Trilogy for the most part.

Oh, now see I thought his story in Republic(particularly his post-Order 666 story) was one of the better stories throughout the comic-based medium. I loved what they did with him.

At the start of the story in Republic, I really liked him. I just felt like he was bit of an author avatar at times, and that stuff can put me off if it's not handled a certain way.

King Joker
In my opinion TCW>>>Prequel Movies...

Galan007
As a whole I definitely agree. Filoni was willing to take 'risks' that Lucas was not, imho.

King Joker
As a whole I definitely agree. Filoni was willing to take 'risks' that Lucas was not, imho.
Definitely. I also like Anakin as a character 10x more than how he was in the movies.

DARTH POWER
Well its easy to praise other people when we see some good Star Wars and criticise Lucas every time we see some bad Star Wars, but fact is nothing happened on TCW without Lucas's consent and all the big story lines and ideas came directly from him. All the Star Wars we've seen on the big and small screen up until now has all bee courtesy of Mr. Lucas. So don't forget if your still a Star Wars fan it is all down to him. I personally am grateful for his work and will miss it now that its ended.

Galan007
No one is hating on Lucas. Just saying that in my personal opinion, TCW was much, much better than the PT films in pretty much every area. Filoni was simply able to do more with the SW mythos in the animated universe(and do it easier) than Lucas could have ever hoped to do with the characters/plot in the cinematic universe. That much is a fact.

-Pr-
I think it needs to be considered that TCW did have a lot more freedom, and a lot more time, to build things that the movies either couldn't, or wouldn't.

Well its easy to praise other people when we see some good Star Wars and criticise Lucas every time we see some bad Star Wars, but fact is nothing happened on TCW without Lucas's consent and all the big story lines and ideas came directly from him. All the Star Wars we've seen on the big and small screen up until now has all bee courtesy of Mr. Lucas. So don't forget if your still a Star Wars fan it is all down to him. I personally am grateful for his work and will miss it now that its ended.

It's not about praise or criticism. Lucas did sign off on all of the "big decisions", but the fact remains that there are things from that show that weren't Lucas in the slightest.

Like the character interactions and dialogue which were, for me, one of the very best things about the show. Lucas didn't sit and write all of that dialogue.

Lucas has his positives, and he has his faults. I can be grateful without being a yes man; that's what got us the shitty parts of the prequels, after all.

DARTH POWER
No one is hating on Lucas. Just saying that in my personal opinion, TCW was much, much better than the PT films in pretty much every area. Filoni was simply able to do more with the SW mythos in the animated universe(and do it easier) than Lucas could have ever hoped to do with the characters/plot in the cinematic universe. That much is a fact.

Yeah except again TCW wasn't Filoni's creation. It was Lucas's. Filoni was simply executing what Lucas wanted and the way Lucas wanted it.

I think it needs to be considered that TCW did have a lot more freedom, and a lot more time, to build things that the movies either couldn't, or wouldn't.

It's not about praise or criticism. Lucas did sign off on all of the "big decisions", but the fact remains that there are things from that show that weren't Lucas in the slightest.

Like the character interactions and dialogue which were, for me, one of the very best things about the show. Lucas didn't sit and write all of that dialogue.

Lucas has his positives, and he has his faults. I can be grateful without being a yes man; that's what got us the shitty parts of the prequels, after all.

That's true that he didn't write the dialogue. (Although the dialogue still isn't exactly the strongest part of TCW either). But I think you've hit it on the mark that this was a series, and just gave Lucas and Filoni much more room to expand on things and fill in gaps that just couldn't be done in a coouple of films.

Galan007
Yeah except again TCW wasn't Filoni's creation. It was Lucas's. Filoni was simply executing what Lucas wanted and the way Lucas wanted it. ...Which doesn't change a thing I said. none

DARTH POWER
^ I thought you said Filoni did something Lucas couldn't have with the SW prequel era? Filoni was just doing what Lucas told him. Or did you mean the animation was doing stuff the films couldn't have?

Galan007
I said that Filoni was able to do things in the animated universe that Lucas couldn't(or at least failed to) pull off in the cinematic universe... Which is glaringly obvious.

I can break down a few of these differences further, if required.

King Joker
Ahsoka is such a BAMF.

-Pr-
Yeah except again TCW wasn't Filoni's creation. It was Lucas's. Filoni was simply executing what Lucas wanted and the way Lucas wanted it.

That's true that he didn't write the dialogue. (Although the dialogue still isn't exactly the strongest part of TCW either). But I think you've hit it on the mark that this was a series, and just gave Lucas and Filoni much more room to expand on things and fill in gaps that just couldn't be done in a coouple of films.

I think you're giving Lucas way too much credit, personally. shrug

Either way.

DARTH POWER
I said that Filoni was able to do things in the animated universe that Lucas couldn't(or at least failed to) pull off in the cinematic universe... Which is glaringly obvious.

I can break down a few of these differences further, if required.

I think you're giving Lucas way too much credit, personally. shrug

Either way.

I can see it's obvious TCW really expanded on the Prequel era and the movies. What I can't see is why the credit is going to Filoni instead of Lucas.

King Joker
The credit should go to both of them equally.

-Pr-
I can see it's obvious TCW really expanded on the Prequel era and the movies. What I can't see is why the credit is going to Filoni instead of Lucas.

They should both get it. Just more should go to Filoni for the success of TCW itself.

Lucas is a great ideas man, but too often he falls short on the minutiae, which is where Filoni seemed to excel. At least imo.

Galan007
I can see it's obvious TCW really expanded on the Prequel era and the movies. What I can't see is why the credit is going to Filoni instead of Lucas. Filoni was the supervising director in overall charge of TCW. Lucas may have created the franchise and 'brainstormed' with Filoni here and there, but he was still just the executive producer of the show itself. It's the same reason people give most of the credit for the success of the Indiana Jones franchise to Spielberg, who directed the films, and not Lucas, who created the franchise and executive produced the films.

That being said, I believe Filoni should get the bulk of the credit for TCW. He did a much better overall job depicting the SWU than Lucas ever did in his films--that is to say: pretty much everything about the show was better than the PT films. The glaring difference in generalized appeal between said media can be credited almost exclusively to Filoni, imho.

DARTH POWER
^ Ah but that's not quite true. If you read the countless interviews of Filoni, he was basically Lucas's protege during TCW. He wasn't the most influential person over TCW. That was still Lucas.

TCW was simply like ESB or ROTJ. Lucas was technically only executive producing on those too. But the story, ideas, the vision and overall implementation was still all his.

Perhaps Lucas is best not being in the Director's chair. But to give him any less than 50% of the credit for TCW would just be disingenuous.

Galan007
^ Ah but that's not quite true. If you read the countless interviews of Filoni, he was basically Lucas's protege during TCW. He wasn't the most influential person over TCW. That is a gross exaggeration, to say the least. srsly

ares834
Filoni has called himself Lucas's Padawan on at least one occasion. Now I have no clue who did more on the series, but both of them seem to have been the two major creative forces behind it.

Galan007
^ That's him being humble while working with the franchise's creator.

Anyway, I'm not saying that Lucas doesn't deserve any credit. I'm simply saying that Filoni deserves more credit.

King Joker
What do you guys think about the voice acting in the show?

DARTH POWER
That is a gross exaggeration, to say the least. srsly

No, it's really not. Just read all the interviews of his and even Sam Witwer's. Filoni continuously explains how he wasn't fond of a certain thing, but that's what Lucas wanted, so that's what they did. And how pretty much every major story line came directly from Lucas. Even Sam Witwer was explaining that pretty much everything happeneing there comes directly from Lucas and is exactly how he wanted things to be.

^ That's him being humble while working with the franchise's creator.

Oh no, he's said it many times that Lucas has basically taught him the ropes. And his main strength he's bringing to Rebels is that he's learned it all directly from Lucas, and knows Lucas's vision best (unlike the other major players working on that show like Kinberg).

Anyway, I'm not saying that Lucas doesn't deserve any credit. I'm simply saying that Filoni deserves more credit.

How can you say that when Lucas was the one in charge? shrug Without Lucas the show would be completely different. There would have been no Mortis Arc, Krell Arc, Darth Maul Arc, Order 66 Arc, Sifo Dyas/Yoda Force Ghost Arc... (the list goes on and on).

Without Filoni however, the show would have undoubtedly been different, but it would have stayed on an overall similar direction. The whole show happened through daily conversations between Filoni and Lucas, with Lucas having the last say, but Filoni implementing it.

So yes credit should be given to both of them, but Lucas does deserve as a bare minimum 50% of the credit for this show. And that really is a bare minimum.

Galan007
No, it's really not. Just read all the interviews of his and even Sam Witwer's. Filoni continuously explains how he wasn't fond of a certain thing, but that's what Lucas wanted, so that's what they did. And how pretty much every major story line came directly from Lucas. Even Sam Witwer was explaining that pretty much everything happeneing there comes directly from Lucas and is exactly how he wanted things to be.

Oh no, he's said it many times that Lucas has basically taught him the ropes. And his main strength he's bringing to Rebels is that he's learned it all directly from Lucas, and knows Lucas's vision best (unlike the other major players working on that show like Kinberg).

How can you say that when Lucas was the one in charge? shrug Without Lucas the show would be completely different. There would have been no Mortis Arc, Krell Arc, Darth Maul Arc, Order 66 Arc, Sifo Dyas/Yoda Force Ghost Arc... (the list goes on and on).

Without Filoni however, the show would have undoubtedly been different, but it would have stayed on an overall similar direction. The whole show happened through daily conversations between Filoni and Lucas, with Lucas having the last say, but Filoni implementing it.

So yes credit should be given to both of them, but Lucas does deserve as a bare minimum 50% of the credit for this show. And that really is a bare minimum. Why are you turning this into a full-blown debate? My opinion is my opinion. Doesn't matter to me one bit if you agree or not. You can bring up these weberviews in which Filoni is clearly being humble by comparing himself to a Padawan and whatnot all you'd like, but I have also seen other weberviews(and could probably find several more if I really dig) in which Filoni is given the bulk of the credit for TCW. So yeah. /shrug

Anywho, I stick by my original statement: the overall portrayal of the SWU in the animated universe was much different(in a better way) than the SWU's portrayal in the cinematic universe. I think this vast difference between mediums can be credited moreso to Filoni, because he was obviously more willing to take risks in TCW then Lucas would have ever taken in his PT films. If you think the glaring differences between said mediums should be credited primarily to Lucas simply because he owned the franchise at the time and all ideas had to be approved by him, then go right ahead. I think it's pretty clear, however, that Filoni was the guy who truly affected said changes.

That is all I'm going to say on the subject. You can have the last word if you must.

Originally posted by King Joker
What do you guys think about the voice acting in the show? I thought most voices were well done and fit each character nicely.

DARTH POWER
Why are you turning this into a full-blown debate? My opinion is my opinion. Doesn't matter to me one bit if you agree or not. You can bring up these weberviews in which Filoni is clearly being humble by comparing himself to a Padawan and whatnot all you'd like, but I have also seen other weberviews(and could probably find several more if I really dig) in which Filoni is given the bulk of the credit for TCW. So yeah. /shrug

Anywho, I stick by my original statement: the overall portrayal of the SWU in the animated universe was much different(in a better way) than the SWU's portrayal in the cinematic universe. I think this vast difference between mediums can be credited moreso to Filoni, because he was obviously more willing to take risks in TCW then Lucas would have ever taken in his PT films. If you think the glaring differences between said mediums should be credited primarily to Lucas simply because he owned the franchise at the time and all ideas had to be approved by him, then go right ahead. I think it's pretty clear, however, that Filoni was the guy who truly affected said changes.

That is all I'm going to say on the subject. You can have the last word if you must.

That's fine if that's what you want to believe. I don't really need the last word. I'm not interested in a full blown debate either, am just pointing out the facts. And I just find it strange that no one's willing to give Lucas any kind of credit for his own work when it's generally considered good nowadays.

It's not just that Lucas "owned" the franchise. He outright created TCW and he was the origin of all the major storylines, and had the final say on everything. So just can't see any reason not to credit him if you like the show, except the fact that people don't like crediting anything good to Lucas anymore.

I've also said all I need to on the subject.

-Pr-
If we're going to give Lucas credit for TCW... Then wtf happened with the PT?

Explain that, please.

ares834
erm

Authors create good and bad material all the time. After all, Lucas was primarily responsible for the OT. Plus, CW has it's bad episodes as well.

Galan007
^ Of course TCW has bad episodes--nothing is perfect. As a whole, however, it is far better than the PT films, imo.

-Pr-
erm

Authors create good and bad material all the time. After all, Lucas was primarily responsible for the OT. Plus, CW has it's bad episodes as well.

We're talking about a bigger gulf than just having a bad day, though.

Lucas deserves credit, yes. I just think Filoni deserves a fair bit more when it comes to TCW.

ares834
We're talking about a bigger gulf than just having a bad day, though.

And the gulf between the OT and PT is far vaster than the one between the PT and CW.

Lucas has already shown that he can craft extraordinary stories. Simply because the PT isn't quite up the caliber of CW does not mean Filoni deserves the most credit for the series. Now I'm not saying Lucas did more on the series as I honestly have no clue who did what, but I find your argument to be flawed.

-Pr-
And the gulf between the OT and PT is far vaster than the one between the PT and CW.

Lucas has already shown that he can craft extraordinary stories. Simply because the PT isn't quite up the caliber of CW does not mean Filoni deserves the most credit for the series. Now I'm not saying Lucas did more on the series as I honestly have no clue who did what, but I find your argument to be flawed.

He didn't have as much oversight over the OT as he did the PT, though.

He had other directors for two of his movies. He wasn't surrounded by yes men. He had people telling him when his dialogue sucked, and he had to be creative because he had a lot less to work with. He was far less indulgent with those movies, and imo it really showed.

You can believe it's flawed if you want, I don't mind. I just don't agree.

ares834
Anyway, IGN has an interesting interview with Filoni.

It further explains several things from the movies and TV series including Sifo-Dyas.

DARTH POWER
^ LOL Again his first reply there is:

Again, all of these stories originated with George

Galan007

King Joker

-Pr-
Sucks that TCW is over either way.

Oh well, I still have SWTOR, which is something.

King Joker
Sucks that TCW is over either way.

Oh well, I still have SWTOR, which is something.

Yeah, it was getting better and better each season, hopefully Rebels will be good though.

-Pr-
New novel featuring Ventress and Quinlan Vos, based on unaired episodes.

https://twitter.com/DelReyStarWars/status/492784939327164417/photo/1

Hell yes.

Edit: Pic:

http://i.imgur.com/E4Qzs69.jpg

juggernaut74
Does anyone know if the new Clone Wars lost mission DVD is the same as the Netflix season 6 exclusive?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.