Vikings (On Dat Der History Channel)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Scythe
Been pretty neat so far, 'bout damn time History Channel had a show somehow relevant to history. Tired of all their ghost hunting crap shows.

Robtard
Originally posted by Scythe
Been pretty neat so far, 'bout damn time History Channel had a show somehow relevant to history. Tired of all their ghost hunting crap shows.

I've watched the first 2 eps, while not superb, it's kept my interest to watch the 3rd.

CosmicComet
I like it so far.

Now I have two shows to look forward to Sunday night.

Scythe
Originally posted by Robtard
I've watched the first 2 eps, while not superb, it's kept my interest to watch the 3rd.

Same here. Little things have me hooked. Like how they actually start to speak their native language before everyone engaging in speaking english. I thought that was great, even though I'm only ever so slightly bothered by everyone on the planet automatically knowing..... American, because sometimes it's not even proper.

'Merica!

Robtard
In the last ep, I was wondering if any of the monks were going to get raped after one of the Vikings commented "there's no women here".

Ascendancy
Not too shabby so far. Rape & pillaging per the standard Viking contracts.

BruceSkywalker
I like watching this show.. something to always look forward to around 11 pm

Scythe
Pretty awesome episode. That Jarl is a douche.

Scythe
New ep and yeah. They killed my favorite character. That big ass Sabertooth looking motherf*cker who looks and sounds more Viking than the entire cast combined. Dude went out takin' a piss though, not too bad.

CosmicComet
Yeah I think his name was Erik?

They took out the most stereotypical viking. Kinda pissed.

Robtard
Yeah, I wasn't happy when they killed the hulking blonde viking. He was the poster child for vikings. Easily worth 7-8 or the other vikings combined.

It's the same actor who played the lead viking in The 13th Warrior.

Scythe
What I'm hella enjoying out of this show, is that so far, no horned helmets. Leave that shit for Opera.

Robtard
So I get the impression that Viking women were into DPs.

Scythe
Pretty much.

Ascendancy
Show is a little predictable. Build up to showdown, younger viking wins, head back west, beat some more armies, more drama at home. We need some more drama.

Major_Lexington
Downloaded all so far. Trailers look great!

Scythe
Pretty solid ep last weekend, I'm still lookin' forward to more of this show.

Robtard
Maybe we'll move up to triple-penetrations.

Major_Lexington
I see your Triple and raise you a DVDA.

Dreampanther
Holy crap, this show just moved up to be included in my Top 5. It takes a couple of episodes to get into it, as you get introduced to this world and the characters, but once it gets going - awesome fights, wicked characters, great scenery - I watched the first two seasons in two days and I want MORE!

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Dreampanther
Holy crap, this show just moved up to be included in my Top 5. It takes a couple of episodes to get into it, as you get introduced to this world and the characters, but once it gets going - awesome fights, wicked characters, great scenery - I watched the first two seasons in two days and I want MORE!

was it really good? i dvr'd it but won't watch until tomorrow

Dreampanther
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
was it really good? i dvr'd it but won't watch until tomorrow

Like I said, it took a couple of episodes, but once it takes off - hold on to your hat! In my opinion it is at least as good as Arrow or Gotham (maybe even better) especially if you can watch the whole season in one go. I loved it! Really interesting and strong characters with plausible flaws, good storylines and as much hardcore action as anyone could wish for. Plus lots of sex, and drugs, and torture, and betrayal, and revenge...

Let me know what you think, but give it at least four or five episodes before the action really starts. In the beginning it feels slow, but for me it was absolutely worth it.

Robtard
Don't want to spoil it for anyone, but Ragnar kicks some major ass in this season's opening episode

Ragnar's ex wife, still hot

BruceSkywalker
Don't want to spoil it for anyone, but Ragnar kicks some major ass in this season's opening episode

thanks rob

Scythe

Right? Pretty good season opener.

I'm glad this show is still going.

Robtard
I had my reservations of how much ass Ragnar would be kicking since he cut his hair, but it seems his ass-kickery ways only improved, also liked that he traded hand-axe and shield, for sword and long-knife.

BruceSkywalker
finally watched the season premiere last night.. i've been a fan of this show since the very first show.. i continue to enjoy it...

btw katherine winnick for Amora , the Enchantress

Robtard
btw katherine winnick for Amora , the Enchantress

I dig it thumb up

ares834
So seems they are full on adding the supernatural to this series.

Dreampanther
So far, they've been playing it pretty cool, sticking to prophecies and dreams, which I like. I don't want this to turn into a Game of Thrones clone. I like that everything so far could be explained by the simple phrase: Magic mushrooms! But the stigmata was a bit of a shock tonight. Guess we'll just have to see what happens next.

It's been a couple of days, so I hope I don't spoil it for somebody by talking about this week's episode. Just in case, here is a warning:

SPOILERS!

Favourite scenes:

-Rollo cutting that guy's leg off because he was tripping his balls off and the leg was lying wrong. I nearly fell off the couch, I was laughing so hard.
-Ragnar's smile crossing the river, surrounded by all the decapitated heads.
-That idiot who dreamed of Ragnar eating his liver and when he asked him why, Ragnar just smiled. Moron - what does he think is going to happen?

Can't wait for next week.

ares834
So that blood sequence...

http://img.pandawhale.com/50057-I-have-the-weirdest-boner-gif-EjPW.gif

Dreampanther
Originally posted by ares834
So that blood sequence...

http://img.pandawhale.com/50057-I-have-the-weirdest-boner-gif-EjPW.gif

He he. Last week had the drugs scenes, looks like the focus is going to be on sex for a while. Based on the last couple of seasons, that will be followed by betrayal, then vengeance, slaughter and torture.

I hear that Katheryn Winnick (Lagertha) has (jokingly) offered to fight Katee Sackhoff for the role Carol Danvers. Based on what I've seen so far, my money is on Katheryn.

Looks like Ragnar is going to have quite a few fights waiting for him when he gets back to Norway, as well.

TheVaultDweller
I've loved this show so far. Got hooked on season 1 and haven't looked back since. I am not sure about adding the supernatural elements to season 3, but I will wait and see how it goes before I make my judgment.

Favourite character is definitely Ragnar (I also liked Torstein). I have a love/hate relationship with Rollo and Floki. Both can act like utter wanksters in one instance, yet be the voices of reason and calm in the next.

ForumPoster81
ok

One_Angry_Scot
I was hoping that we would see a battle between the Vikings and an unknown Saxon warlord wearing the Sutton Hoo helmet. Make it a big reveal and a large battle. I know it wont happen but it would be good.

Dreampanther
Alrighty then... Well, okay, seems like everybody is betraying everybody. I knew there was going to be betrayal, just didn't expect it to be on this scale. I'm no psychic, but I see a lot of revenge before this season ends...

Dreampanther
"Vikings, the hugely successful History Channel production that is filmed in Ireland, has announced a casting call to find a minimum of 8,000 extras to work on its forthcoming season, which will be filmed here.

The Canadian/Irish production recently began its third season and will begin filming the fourth in Ireland in April. The producers have today announced they are looking for extras to take part, and the selection process will be held in Dublin, at the Film Base in Temple Bar, and at the Grand Hotel, Abbey St, in Wicklow."

ares834
F*** Floki.

Robtard
He was just doing the gods' will

BruceSkywalker
i haven't watched the show yet..

what happened with Floki?

ares834
He killed Athelstan.

Dreampanther
You can't really blame Floki. I liked Athelstan as well as well, everybody did. But he was looking for trouble when he threw away the bracelet.

Moving on, I predict a lot of people dying in the next couple of episodes. I'm talking massacres. First rule of Viking club: Vikings are going to F@ck. You. Up.

ares834
Sure I can. Flocki has slowly become an unlikeable little ***** for awhile now.

Dreampanther
I kinda like Floki. But then, I usually like the anti-heroes. If I had to blame anybody, it would be Ragnar. He promised he would protect him. He should have let him go. Based on the ending, I would say he knew what was going to happen and allowed it.

Between Ragnar and King Ecbert, I really don't know who is the more devious and manipulative at the moment.

Robtard
Please it's spelled and pronounced "Applestand"

RanebowSmack
I'm really liking Bjorn, hope he becomes King and does well next season.

Omega Vision
Surprisingly good television. I just started season 2.

Robtard
Yeah, it's enjoyable and has remained so up until the last season.

Looking forward to S4, though I do think it might start to slip in quality with how S3 ended.

Omega Vision
http://www.inquisitr.com/2288468/vikings-season-4-double-the-episodes-and-new-cast-members-announced/

So the next season will be possibly twice as long. Not sure how I feel about them introducing a Chinese slave into the mix. Seems like a poor excuse to get some Asian fanservice in the show. An African or even Indian slave would make a lot more sense for the time period, seeing as at that point only a few Chinese people had made it past Persia, and they were mostly merchants and explorers, not women.

Arachnid1
Finally got around to watching this show. It's better than I expected. Awesome battles.

Also going to miss Apple Stand. He, Ragnar, and Rollo are the best characters hands down.

Omega Vision
Saw the first episode of the new season. Pretty good. Going to watch the second episode tonight.

Robtard
Starting to feel for Floki. What he did was shitty, but he did what he thought was best for his BF.

ares834

Robtard
Floki comes off as a bit of a nutter/zealot, really do think he thought the gods' hands were in his actions, even if jealously was a factor.

Martian_mind
Liked what they did with Floki's punishment. If they continue with the whole Norse mythology vibe, Floki getting free should be the catalyst for Ragnar's death.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by Arachnid1
Finally got around to watching this show. It's better than I expected. Awesome battles.

Also going to miss Apple Stand. He, Ragnar, and Rollo are the best characters hands down.

I am a big fan of Lagertha too, but she hasn't featured much yet this season. "She began training in martial arts at age seven, and obtained her first black belt at 13. By age 21, she had started three martial arts schools."

NemeBro
Starting to feel for Floki. What he did was shitty, but he did what he thought was best for his BF. Floki did literally nothing wrong. Athelstan was a monster. His death was too quick. Though Floki's reasons, whatever they were, are definitely not why I would want him dead, I can't hate someone for killing a hypocritical beast in human skin.

TheVaultDweller
Well, Bjorn certainly showed that bear not to come on his turf.

Dreampanther
Damn. The way Vikings is building up there are going to be episodes with seas of blood coming up pretty soon.

TheVaultDweller
I have this strong suspicion things are leading towards Ragnar's death.

One of the most common folk stories regarding Ragnar's demise involve King Aela throwing him into a pit of snakes. Now we have Bjorn going out and "finding himself" and killing bears, Viking berzerkers, claiming another guy's wife etc. and starting to come into his own.

And then we have the re-introduction of King Aela, where he re-affirms his vendetta against Ragnar. And we have Ragnar talking about being unable to see his own death, but then we see he has that room full of snakes he visits when he wants to be away from others.

But of course, that's just my speculation.

Dreampanther
Holy awesomeness, Batgirl, last week's episode was excellent. Slow start but two absolutely WTF moments that more than made up for it. And I'm now more in awe of Lagertha than ever before.

TheVaultDweller
Well, she did tell Kalf that she would take back everything he stole from her when he wasn't expecting it, last season. So I kind of saw it coming at some point. And she was damn clever about it too. She waited until he had taken out all her enemies in a previous episode before making her move. And now Erlendur is in a pretty bad position, because his last real ally is dead and Bjorn is likely coming for him.

Dreampanther
My prediction is that in this season a lot of people are going to get f@@@@@@@@@@@@@cked up.

Scythe
Did this show legit show an out of body sex scene? Like, w-wha?

Dreampanther
Did this show legit show an out of body sex scene? Like, w-wha?

I'm still not sure what exactly that was about. My best guess is that it was Floki getting his first vision and seeing Aslaug's betrayal .

Scythe
So random and uneccessery, haha.

Omega Vision
Latest episode was okay. I'm kind of getting tired of sick Ragnar. At this rate he'll probably keel over before he has a chance of getting thrown into the snake pit.

Also Auslaug has zero ability to carry a narrative thread. She was always a boring character, but she's gotten extra tedious now.

Mindset
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Latest episode was okay. I'm kind of getting tired of sick Ragnar. At this rate he'll probably keel over before he has a chance of getting thrown into the snake pit.

Also Auslaug has zero ability to carry a narrative thread. She was always a boring character, but she's gotten extra tedious now. I skip all her scenes. smile

Robtard
Originally posted by Omega Vision

Also Auslaug has zero ability to carry a narrative thread. She was always a boring character, but she's gotten extra tedious now.

Yeah, he's getting pretty stupid and unlikeable, wish he'd grow his hair back and go back to being the interesting and likeable character he used to be.

Aslaug is a snore-fest, her current arch with Viking-stud is the worst part of the show.

On a positive note, Bjorn's getting better and better and Loki is consistently good.

ares834
Rollo is the best part of the show right now. Though, that's not saying much.

TheVaultDweller
I've always found Aslaug highly unlikable. Always preferred Lagertha.

And Ragnar seems more crazy than sick nowadays. But that is likely because that Chinese cow seemingly turned him into an opium fiend, and now he hits massive withdrawal when he doesn't get his fix.

It is good to see Bjorn coming into his own though. Also happy that Floki is no longer the outcast, now that people have moved on from the Holy Apple stand's death.

Mindset
Originally posted by ares834
Rollo is the best part of the show right now. Though, that's not saying much. I'd say it's Bjorn.

He's starting to become a greater viking than Ragnar like that freakshow foresaw.

Mindset
Last ep was pretty great.

TheVaultDweller
The last episode was great, and I am really amped to see how things go during the second half. The whole jumping a few years in the time line is also quite convenient, so that we skip the rest of Ragnar's rehab/recovery. Like others, I was getting bored with that whole plot point by now.

Mindset
It's weird how Bjorn's younger brother looks older than him lol

Robtard
He has the Benjamin Button disease, have a little compassion in your hear

Mindset
I got rid of my compassion years ago.

TheVaultDweller
Some news on episode 11 and when the show might be returning:

http://cartermatt.com/203654/vikings-season-4-episode-11-preview-return-date-speculation/

Dreampanther
The time jump was interesting. Similar technique was used in Banshee to move the plot forward. While I think it can be overused, it does add a bit of energy and mystery to a series.

ares834
Finally, a great episode. The Ragnar/Rollo fight was great. And yes, Rollo was a badass loved his speech. I'm thinking that this was the character's exit and it was a damn good one.

Also, the time skip has me intrigued. Though, I feel the episode should have ended with the Bjorn and Floki scene.

Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Some news on episode 11 and when the show might be returning:

http://cartermatt.com/203654/vikings-season-4-episode-11-preview-return-date-speculation/

Oh, thought this was the season finale... Nice!

Arachnid1
Got around to finishing season 4. It was good, but a noticable step down from season 3, which was a step down from season 2. Still fun though.

I'm glad we're getting Ragnars sons all grown up. Ivar is already an awesome character with the little screen time he had as a kid and grown. He comes off as a bit of a sociopath and sadist, so I'm excited to see more of him.

Didn't like Ragnar much this season. The dude was a shadow of his former self, which I guess is to be expected since he's in his upper 40s (lower 50s after the time skip) and addicted to some drug thanks to the Chinese chick (who I'm glad got killed off, boring character).

Auslaug was pretty boring since we had to deal with more of her shenanigans with "Odin" this season.. She was better towards the end though. I loled at her joking about Siggys death with Ivar and ruling the Vikings in a carefree manner (she laughed at the colony in Wessex being wiped out and the fact that Ragnar kept it a secret for personal gain). I'm seeing shades of Cersie in her now.

Now that Rollo is gone (easily my favorite character, and I'm glad he got such an awesome send off) Bjorn is now my top character. I like who he's grown into. I'd still watch the show if it centered on him from now on. I cant wait for Ragnars sons to be the focus. We have some epic stuff ahead of us brahs

Robtard
Second half of Season 4 already aired?

Arachnid1
Second half of Season 4 already aired? No, my bad, I meant the midseason finale. I'm not used to this show pulling a walking dead

Dreampanther
They're back.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cyj1wqRXAAAnBIk.jpg

staxamillion
doped out ragnar was hard to watch

Scythe
Pretty interesting start, wanna see where this goes.

TheVaultDweller
Ivar is one creepy bastard. He has this glassy, psychotic look in his eyes, when he stares at something intensely.

Dreampanther
From what I've read, Ragnar's sons became legends nearly as famous as Ragnar himself. I think the focus will slowly move to the next generation to see how they start building their own legends.

TheVaultDweller
Well, historically speaking, Ivar and Bjorn appear to be the two most well-known of Ragnar's apparent sons. I say 'apparent', because Ragnar himself is a figure of much obscurity. Hell, some people question whether he ever really existed, or whether he was simply a legend, crafted from the tales of other Viking rulers.

BruceSkywalker
show was pretty good last night.. be interesting to see how everything plays out

TheVaultDweller
Gotta wonder how Ragnar and Ivar will get out of that predicament at the end of the last episode. They have to though. At least if this show plans on following what we know of their actual history.

Dreampanther
Sheeeeeeeeeeeit.

2016 really is a ***** of a year.

Robtard
Ragnar S1 and S4

https://s23.postimg.org/5y1ayjrx7/rags12.jpg
https://s23.postimg.org/5y1ayjrx7/rags12.jpg

BruceSkywalker
I haven't watched the ep yet, but is it good

Dreampanther
I haven't watched the ep yet, but is it good

Great episode, just... Well, let me rather say nothing.

TheVaultDweller

marwash22
is this show supernatural in nature?

also, how good is this show? is it like GoT quality?

Dreampanther
@ TheVaultDweller

Yeah, I knew it was coming but I was hoping it wouldn't be until later. My sister got me into it because she is fascinated by vikings and their history, so fortunately I didn't know too many specifics and now I try to avoid reading about what happened until after they show it in the series, to try and avoid spoiling it for myself.

@ marwash22

They imply supernatural, by talking about Odin and Thor and visions, etc, but mostly try to stay historically pretty accurate to the legends. So, for instance, most of the visions can be ascribed to the mushrooms they take in their rituals.

Can't really compare it to GoT because I don't watch it, but it's violent, brutal, definitely for mature audiences only and best of all based on people who literally became legends in their own time and are still famous more than a thousand years later because of their deeds and adventures.

marwash22
i referenced GoT only in terms of production value and acting. How is the show compared to an HBO or AMC type series?

Dreampanther
Originally posted by marwash22
i referenced GoT only in terms of production value and acting. How is the show compared to an HBO or AMC type series?

You'll have to make up your own mind about that. Obviously, I'm a huge fan so I am always going to recommend it. If it helps, it's rated higher than Banshee and watched by more people.

TheVaultDweller

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by marwash22
is this show supernatural in nature?

also, how good is this show? is it like GoT quality?

As Dreampanther mentioned, there are some subtle supernatural elements (though those only really come up in the latter seasons), but it is mostly grounded in realism.

As for the show quality, I personally find it to be good. The casting is good, story is generally quite solid, and keeps you interested, and they have some entertaining (and in some cases, quite bloody) action/combat sequences as well, especially towards the latter seasons.

I'd recommend you give it 2 or 3 episodes. It will give you a good idea of whether you will like the show or not. If you don't get hooked within the first few episodes, you'll probably find watching the rest of it a drag.

Scythe
That death scene was pretty legit. Loved that we got to see the pit of snakes.

Dreampanther
Last week's episode was insane. New episode tonight!

http://thiscrush.com/images/fan/41e25ac966.jpg

Mindset
Just not the same without Ragnar, but I still like it.

Scythe
I've missed the last two eps, what happened??

Dreampanther
I've missed the last two eps, what happened??

WAR!

http://cdn.inquisitr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Historys-Vikings-Season-4-Part-2-Episode-18-Revenge-Floki-and-the-Great-Heathen-Army-resize-670x304.jpg

TheVaultDweller
LOL at Ivar trolling Aethelwulf into falling for his plan.

Robtard
Originally posted by Mindset
Just not the same without Ragnar, but I still like it.

Bjorn is somewhat like a season 1-2 Ragnar, so that's a minor consolation.

BruceSkywalker
Any ideas as too what might happen in the season finale?

Scythe
Originally posted by Dreampanther
WAR!

http://cdn.inquisitr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Historys-Vikings-Season-4-Part-2-Episode-18-Revenge-Floki-and-the-Great-Heathen-Army-resize-670x304.jpg

Oh, right on. Thanks. I need to hella catch up.

Mindset
Any ideas as too what might happen in the season finale? Massive orgy.

Scythe
'Bout time.

Robtard
Originally posted by Mindset
Massive orgy.

The male-to-female Viking ratio is like 7-to-1...

Mindset
The male-to-female Viking ratio is like 7-to-1... Massive. Orgy.

Robtard
Even if they achieve the impossible and go DVDADO, there's going to be one Viking left with his Viking junk hanging out /maths

Arachnid1
Great season. Ivar is my new favorite character.

Good to see him and Sigard finally bury the hatchet too.

Mindset
Even if they achieve the impossible and go DVDADO, there's going to be one Viking left with his Viking junk hanging out /maths But it will be Ivar's flaccid wiener.

Robtard
Well played, sir. Well. Played.

samhain
Even with DVDADO, she'd still have her hands free.

Robtard
Originally posted by samhain
Even with DVDADO, she'd still have her hands free.

I actually thought of that, but judged that a hand or HJ is not a proper substitute for an orifice.

On a serious note. Looks like we have the Knights Templars coming into play next season? Though the time-period doesn't gel with reality. So ideas?

samhain
Rollo did mention Saracen Spain being a Muslim country, and Bjorn wants to go back to the Med, I can see them developing it so that the Pagan ways are being threatened at multiple angles, Floki looks like he's a burning bush away from becoming a Christian TBH and religious curiosity is a bit of a running theme in the show.

Dreampanther
Ivar the Boneless is one scary psychopath. Looks like Jonathan Rhys Meyers is going to play an interesting character as well. And where the hell is Floki? I thought maybe Iceland or Greenland until that waterfall started freaking me out.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.