Saints Row IV

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
Coming to PC and current generation consoles August 20, 2013

ax5lfDVjF3w

-Pr-
Not bad.

KingD19
I love how people on youtube are talking crap. Just enjoy the game and your brand new MOTHERFU*KIN SUPER POWERS!!!

Also I'm eager to see if Gat maybe survived.

Kazenji
It won't be a day 1 purchase for me after how dissapointing the 3rd was

i'll wait for a review from Angry Joe.

Phoenix3068
Probably just me but did anyone else get the "Mass effect, most powerful biotic" feeling? SR was good, but it disappointing to me after play SR2. SR2 was awesome, full of win. SR3rd was fun in terms of gameplay but I missed the serious and dramatic feeling from SR2. I rate SR2 as the best of the three games because of its gameplay, storyline, and of course cuz you got a voice. That doesn't mean I won't play SRIV. Who wants to pass up the chance to go super nova as the leader of the saints? If that's still the storyline anyways. Will have to investigate more.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Kazenji
It won't be a day 1 purchase for me after how dissapointing the 3rd was

i'll wait for a review from Angry Joe.

I agree. I could not believe how disappointing the Third was...hyped too much.

Phoenix3068
I don't get why people think the 3rd was so disappointing. Sure, it wasn't as good and it stood on different terms with the 1st and 2nd game but i wouldn't say it was necessarily a bad game. The only game that disappointed me really was the first one and that was only after playing the second game.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Phoenix3068
I don't get why people think the 3rd was so disappointing.

It was the mission structure

some of the things they got you doing were more activities instead of actual missions.

Phanteros
Somewhere along the way this series has lost its way. I missed the Tamed but wild matter of II it just gone to far into absurdity to take serous anymore. Plus this was originally a DLC for three and now they are charging full price for it as a standalone. This series is pretty much dead now(at least to me).

Peach
It's been developed into a full game with a full dev cycle. What's the big deal?

SR3 was great because they threw taking itself seriously out the window and just went for the ridiculous and absurd. If I wanted to play an open world game that was trying to take itself seriously, I'd play GTA...which hasn't been fun since the PS2.

Phoenix3068
I can agree and disagree with both of those.

Agreeing with Peach/Disagreeing with Phanteros Version
-It was fun not having to play a game that was constantly serious (Hint: AC, Halo, BF, COD, ES, DA, ME). Saints Row has always had a "Lets be stupid and do something fun" feeling to it, SR3 just went far enough to develop that into an actual full length game rather then a few minutes. There were still some serious parts on it of course, which was still nice.

Disagreeing with Peach/Agreeing with Phanteros Version
-Now while I can't agree that the series is dead with me because of that game, I will say that overall I enjoyed SR2. That's mainly because when someone died, you felt something about it. When you killed the leader of the gangs in SR2, it was a very strong. The only boss kill I didn't enjoy in SR2 was the drug leader. More of an assumed death I think. Come SR3, the main guy (leader of the sex trade) got crushed by a giant ball with a smug look on his face still (and I really hated him for killing Gat), you never actually /get/ to kill Matt, and in killing Killbane.

This one needs its own section cuz it's more detailed. Killbane really pissed me off. The fight with him had potential, it could have been more then just a quick time event. So could melee combat for that matter. SR2 had awesome melee combat. They replaced it with a kick in the balls. Sure, it's funny, but it's not nearly as fun or awesome. I'm getting off track. Killbane's death was a quick time event too. Press the buttons to do the preset actions. Which sure, it was nice, but didn't hold nearly the same feeling as the previous game when you killed Vogel (Which was quite personally one of my favorite... scenes... ever....)

I kind of lost track of what I was talking about now since I'm looking back at the game again. I'll give people time to digest what I just said, lol.

Kazenji
8BWI6iRSLV0

Kazenji
bfa6J1ubFUw

Still on the fence with this one

NemeBro
SR3 was bad.

This will probably also be bad.

Smasandian
Saints Row 3 was awesome.

Kazenji
It was terrible compared to the second game.

-Pr-
I honestly enjoyed it more than 2, though not by much.

Smasandian
I enjoyed it more as well.

The main missions were all excellent and because it was way over the top, I didn't feel like I was playing a slightly more crazy version of GTA.

If I want to play a serious GTA game, I will play the excellent GTA game. If I want something batshit crazy that's simple to play, I will play Saints Row.

Considering GTAIV and Saints Row 4 are coming out very close to each other, they have to make Saints Row 4 crazy as shit because it won't compete with GTAIV.

Kazenji
I just felt with Saints Row 3 alot of the missions weren't structured that well, Some of them felt more like the activities more then an actual mission.

NemeBro
The missions were boring.

The setting is boring.

Blax and I can't fathom why this series is still called Saints Row. Because the series has nothing to do with Saints Row anymore.

SR2 had a well-constructed balance between grounded reality and over the top goofiness. This made it interesting, fun, and gave a reason to continue playing. 3 and onward just piles stupid shit on top of stupid shit, making a game willed with nothing but stupid shit.

If you enjoyed 3 more than 2, you are wrong.

Kazenji
The review that Angry Joe did for the 3rd game is pretty much spot on.

-Pr-
I honestly liked how ludicrous it was; that was actually part of the appeal for me.

Nemesis X
yXaqDyX5voY

Kazenji
When i seen Keith David thought he was playing Julius again.......eer

but he's the vice president.

Phoenix3068
Originally posted by NemeBro
The missions were boring.

The setting is boring.

Blax and I can't fathom why this series is still called Saints Row. Because the series has nothing to do with Saints Row anymore.

SR2 had a well-constructed balance between grounded reality and over the top goofiness. This made it interesting, fun, and gave a reason to continue playing. 3 and onward just piles stupid shit on top of stupid shit, making a game willed with nothing but stupid shit.

If you enjoyed 3 more than 2, you are wrong.

While I agree with how SR3rd was in no way better then 2, you kind of worded it in a.... way. SRIV hasn't even been released just yet but you say 3rd and on is just stupid. The term is "don't judge a book by it's cover". While I might have disliked 3rd in comparison, I won't assume 4 is good or bad until I actually get in to play it. I preferred Halo 3 to Halo Reach, despite it coming out earlier but that didn't stop me from playing halo 4. Not trying to get off subject, lol. Just saying. A games predecessor doesn't determine how good or bad it will be and so far until we actually get our hands on the game, I think we should wait to judge it.

Phoenix out~
<.<

NemeBro
fite me irl

Kazenji
At the moment with this 4th one i'm on the fence.

Smasandian
I'm waiting.

I have been playing too much GTA games and I need a break before GTA 5 comes out.

But I still think Saints Row needed to get super crazy to not compete with GTA.

Kazenji
As long as the missions structure is done alot better

keep the activities as activities not friggan as mission's.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Nemesis X
yXaqDyX5voY

That's ****ing beautiful. I want it now.

Nemesis X
The game's a blast but I'm pretty disappointed my role as President of the United States felt rather short lived before the alien invasion started. All you ever do is what the E3 videos showed off: pick between two bills you want to pass and decide whether you want to punch some opposing democrat in the face or the balls for threatening he can convince the Congress to filibuster. I was hoping I could do more than that.

Kazenji
So is it better then the third game?

Estacado
This is the 1st SR I play and it's great .Started playing midnight and before I realised I gotta wake up early it was already 5 am.Really liking the powers and the weapons.My fave is the abduction gun just got telekinesis .
Cant wait to unlock lightning and life steal.

Another thing I like is the full character customization...made the guy look like me...so now I have supa powaa...biscuits

Kazenji
Checking out Angry Joe's review, He gives it a thumbs up even says its an improvement over the 3rd game.

i'll get it...but i'll import it

y4g9gfxxvnA

Nemesis X
edit

LeonBuco666
The entire series is a goddamn mess.
They never improve any aspects of the game(not greatly anyway)
Recycle same engine and mechanics
Sr2 is the only good game of the series, mediocre at best
Sr1 was shite, end of.
Sr3 wasnt good, basically Sr2 but with stupid shit added into it.
Sr4 from what ive seen is basically Sr3 but they have completely ripped off prototype, from the gliding to sprinting, to gaining health from civvies.....BS is this game.
If i wanted super powers, i would play prototype, if i wanted open world sandbox, i would crack open my gta sa and ps2 and phuck shit up, bring them together? No, just no. Prototype can only make that work
The story is so not immersive, you cant even connect to the protagonist since the c**t hasnt even got a name, never mind no background, motive and reasons, hes just some guy who constantly changes, its really just a mediocre game.

Kazenji
Totally missing the point of these games.

Estacado
Totally missing the point of these games.
Yup.thumb up
Its fun though...

Nemesis X
Originally posted by LeonBuco666
The entire series is a goddamn mess.

If because it's batshit insane, that's the whole point, doofus.

Wouldn't the same be said about GTA?

SR2 did stand out as one of the better entries but it's not the only good SR as IV is good as well but you wouldn't know that since you didn't actually play it.

Ironically, Prototype is a rip-off itself as it took those power sprints, jumps and glides from Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. Despite that, you still like Prototype, ya friggin hypocrite. Also, getting health from civilians is an upgrade you can choose whether to unlock or not and I bet you didn't know that since you didn't play the game. It's really stupid you think you can actually criticize something without first giving it a try. What are you, a kid at a dinner table? Eat the broccoli already and determine then if it tastes like ass. Only then will you have a respectable opinion.

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/3201437440/h4025FFE7/

KingD19
Dammit, Nemesis! I wasn't even in this conversation and I felt that burn.

LeonBuco666

Wouldn't the same be said about GTA?

lol, no, not at all, every time they make a game they improve most aspects of the game from the graphics to the gameplay, granted the shooting mechanics have never really been great, they also dont release their games annually and just copy and paste the previous game into the next - Leon

SR2 did stand out as one of the better entries but it's not the only good SR as IV is good as well but you wouldn't know that since you didn't actually play it.

i dont need to play it as i can see it plays and looks like sr3 but its ripping off the matrix sort of and prototype - Leon

Ironically, Prototype is a rip-off itself as it took those power sprints, jumps and glides from Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. Despite that, you still like Prototype, ya friggin hypocrite. Also, getting health from civilians is an upgrade you can choose whether to unlock or not and I bet you didn't know that since you didn't play the game. It's really stupid you think you can actually criticize something without first giving it a try. What are you, a kid at a dinner table? Eat the broccoli already and determine then if it tastes like ass. Only then will you have a respectable opinion.

prototype was made by the exact same developers radical (if you dont know, im presuming you dont) as the hulk game they used the same engine so no they never ripped their own game off, do some research.-Leon
Also, upgrade or not, its still the basis that those powers are ripped of from Radicals powers, Prototype, Prototype 2 & Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction all of which use the same engine. No rip offs their, if their using basic powers from their own game its acceptable, but if it was from another dev's work, unacceptable and lazy. saints row is very lazy an just silly.
im not missing the point of the game, but their is no 'fun' to it, the stories terrible, the customization it just killed dead, driving is god awful, shooting mechanics are average, and i dont comment on the graphics of games as it doesnt matter, but they could up the ante on it considering todays standard of graphics. - Leon

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/3201437440/h4025FFE7/

Nemesis X
Which is basically SR4 as it didn't take as much from SR3 as you like to think.

Just looking at something doesn't always make something as they appear and it looks like the matrix to parody the movies. Seriously, how can you not get these games? You're more clueless than the Daily Planet trying to figure out who Superman is if you can't even figure out something is created just for laughs.

It doesn't matter if Protototype and Ultimate Destruction are developed by the same people. I can be as silly as you and say Prototype is a copy and paste and Radical was making a sad attempt to relive the glory days and if I want to play a game that had mayhem, I would go dust off my old Xbox and go tear shite up than play that wannabe game.

You're still missing the point and empty claim it's lazy is empty.

You said you didn't even play the game and yet you're criticizing all of that. You're judgement is awful as you're just shooting in the dark here with your empty claims. Whatever dignity you have, keep what's left and stop talking. For the love of everything, just stop.

LeonBuco666
I do get the games its over the top mayhem, tbh i enjoyed sr2 sr3 was fun for a couple hours, sr4 just isnt appealing to me.
Its abit to late to be doing a parody of something a decade old, im not a hater, ill probably play the game, but i may not enjoy it.
Yes radical used the same engine for both games so they never ripped anything of they just copy and pasted, just has saints row has done with sr3 and 4 but what ever

Nemesis X
Originally posted by LeonBuco666
I do get the games its over the top mayhem, tbh i enjoyed sr2 sr3 was fun for a couple hours, sr4 just isnt appealing to me.

If you don't want to play it, that's fine but don't go giving a game shit if you have yet to try it out.

Blood Dragon proves otherwise.

Phoenix3068
@Nemesis X: I approve of all the comments you've made <.< But I don't want to get into an argument with anyone. Just had to give props to the person who actually played the game they're commenting on.

SR4 for me had a lot of pros and cons. Since making lists usually leaves me feeling wanting like I'm missing something, I'll just post a few things below, jumping between likes and dislikes.
----------- WARNING ------------ (Spoilers)
I liked that they gave you some closure with killing Cyrus though that kind of implies that you went with the parody ending in SR3. I personally went with the one in which Shaundi, Cyrus, and a few others died -- but that's not that big of a deal. It really wasn't made as an RPG, to my knowledge anyways.
Zero Saints Thirty was an awesome prologue personally but I don't like that once again, the gender default was made male. With SR3, dressing as the giant Johnny Gat Mascot at least gave a bit of chance that it was a girl inside. This time, absolutely no chance. This isn't huge of course -- but I don't get to feel like it's me because of that. For this reason, SR3 and SR4 both lost points for me with SR4 being slightly higher on point loss.
I like how they broadened the details for characters which now lets me go more in depth with character customization. However, I don't like how they remove voices to maintain a 3 voice maximum per gender (and no zombie voice this time O_o why!?)
Could have gone much more in depth as president. The entire thing just made me feel like a figure head. This doesn't effect the gameplay so I still enjoy it of course. I just don't see any difference between this and being a gang leader anymore.
Now we get into the open world itself. I loved the customization with clothing and weapons. Being able to freely customize your weapons appearance was great. A tad bit disappointing that it lost the physical change in appearance for weapon upgrades though.
Being in the simulation itself, I really did feel like I was in the matrix. Now, while most people get upset about this, I love it. Being able to run up walls, shoot into the air, jump not just from roof top to roof top but jumping an entire building in a single go is just brilliant -- love it. Makes me feel special. And the power armor joke at the end that brought it all together to make use of the powers for the storyline was lovely.
Having to go back to the ship felt very "Mass Effect" for me, keep in mind that Mass Effect is the only game I've played where you need to go to the 'ship' for all your missions. Personally, I would have enjoyed this more if the ship actually did more. I never heard anything about them moving away after Earth was blown up. So it seemed a bit pointless, honestly. Would have preferred staying in the simulation throughout the entire game then reawakening on the ship with the pods having given you some powers as a result of a mutation from the tanks -- though you are left physically weak due to being stuck in the pod, a sort of "S.A.O." reminisce for me. Though that's a personal thing. Kind of obvious they wouldn't do that.
Finally, the crew itself. I'll go down in a list (Warning: BIG Spoilers below. Do not read if you haven't played the whole game.)

-Kinzie: The one member of your gang in this that they saw to you truly just getting very in depth with. If you weren't attached to Kinzie during SR3, you should definitely be after SR4 (if you're not still pissed at her for all the hacking missions).
-Keith: All I could think with him was "Sup Julius?" lol.
-Matt: WHYYYYYYY!!??
-Shaundi: While I don't like that they brought back 2 Shaundi's, the original and the new one, I like how the Loyalty mission changed Shaundi's perspective a bit. Felt nice to see that she loosened up, even if only a little.
-Pierce: Well.. F#*@ Pierce. Lol, but really. Pierce returning was good for me. Love his recruitment mission. Everyone loves Paul.
-King: Not memorable enough from SR1 for me to much care that he's back. I mean, he was memorable from the game, but that they didn't mention him during 2 or 3 left a bit to be desired.
-Asha: Leaves a lot to be desired. Was a disappointing character for me.
-Johnny Mother#@*($@% Gat: THANK THE SAINTS FLOW GODS for the return of this beloved homicidal gang banger. Gat's return was a sigh of relief and I like how they actually went and tied everything together. His return didn't make a plothole. How Johnny got super powers though was a bit of a disappointment.

As a final note on your gang, the one thing I found myself wanting for on the characters that were released aside from more in depth background so that you could enjoy them more is their super power acquisition. I don't even get how Asha obtained them, but as for Gat or even worse... Shaundi ... That was a bit 'bleh'. Matt Miller had the best super power acquisition in my eyes, as his actually had a point of origin while the others just kind of 'auto got them' for doing loyalty missions. With a few exceptions.

Overall, I rate Saints Row IV with an 8/10. I recommend it for anyone who finds themselves wanting an Open World Game with both serious and hilarious moments and for people who were a fan of the series. If you didn't enjoy SR3 but did enjoy SR2, then I can't really recommend SR4 for you and if you disliked SR 1, 2, and 3 then... well I don't really know why you're here and I don't recommend it for you.

LeonBuco666
It doesnt, IMO anyway.

-Pr-
Blood Dragon was ****ing awesome. I play almost no shooters, but damn that game is one of the few.

Kazenji
Originally posted by -Pr-
Blood Dragon was ****ing awesome. I play almost no shooters, but damn that game is one of the few.

That's the sorta FPS, That i like to play

glad they're making a comeback.

Nemesis X
One of the most disappointing things I came across in the game are my homies acquiring superpowers and they all have the same set, nothing to tell them apart. Everyone has telekinesis, sprint and what looks like the hadoken. They have no exclusive moves, none of them altered to match their themes even. Asha Odekar, for example, gets these same destructive abilities which doesn't fit with her as she's more that special agent who prefers Metal Gear/Splinter Cell stealth-type of action and doesn't carelessly charge into battle guns ablazing so it would've made sense if she was a cyborg ninja or something. I just wish the developers were a little more creative because I quickly realized how pointless completing most of the loyalty missions were for they all had the same tasteless reward of copy and pasting. Even the bosses and henchmen I fought had the same powers as the Saints Leader. That is just lazy.

Peach
This game is such a ****ing blast.

I generally get bored by open-world games pretty quickly (GTA and Skyrim), but I can't get over just how fun this game is. Every time I start doing a mission I get completely distracted by about 20 other things on the way.

Also, personally, I adore how completely blatantly and unashamedly they rip off other things. Movies and books are rarely original, so why do we expect games to be? Yes, it rips off the Matrix and Mass Effect and Crackdown and Prototype and Starfox and I've caught some Star Wars quotes. Who the **** cares? It does so in a way that works. I'm a huge fan of the Matrix, it's one of my favorite movies, so I love that the game is using that style so heavily.

So much fun. I don't like shooters and I don't like open world sandboxes normally, but this game is a rare one where I can spend the whole evening playing and not notice.

Also, two words. DUBSTEP GUN. I have never had more fun with a weapon in a game.

jinXed by JaNx
I'm really surprised by this game. After being disappointed with Saints 3 I wasn't expecting Saints Row 4 having me excited to keep playing. Saints Row 2 had an incredible combination of humor, activities and a well written story. Saints Row 3, although polished, felt linear and became incredibly monotonous very early on. I was also against the level ups. Being able to level up you character to invincibility and acquire endless ammo ruined co-op for me.

I'm not sure what makes Saints row 4 more enjoyable over 3 for me because all of the same things that made 3 a lackluster exience for me are still there. However, in stead of removing more of the things that made the game good they left everything and added more. Maybe it's return good writing and smart humor. I like how the game blatantly takes elements from the other super popular sandbox games like, Crackdown and prototype. It doesn't feel like they're trying to outdo those games or become like them but rather complimenting them.

P-Geyser
8BWI6iRSLV0

Is it me, or does that dude look like Sean Penn in the beginning.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Peach
This game is such a ****ing blast.

I generally get bored by open-world games pretty quickly (GTA and Skyrim), but I can't get over just how fun this game is. Every time I start doing a mission I get completely distracted by about 20 other things on the way.

Also, personally, I adore how completely blatantly and unashamedly they rip off other things. Movies and books are rarely original, so why do we expect games to be? Yes, it rips off the Matrix and Mass Effect and Crackdown and Prototype and Starfox and I've caught some Star Wars quotes. Who the **** cares? It does so in a way that works. I'm a huge fan of the Matrix, it's one of my favorite movies, so I love that the game is using that style so heavily.

So much fun. I don't like shooters and I don't like open world sandboxes normally, but this game is a rare one where I can spend the whole evening playing and not notice.

Also, two words. DUBSTEP GUN. I have never had more fun with a weapon in a game.

^ This. Also, some of the 80s humor was really well appreciated. The amount of nods, homages, and easter eggs was very pleasant and already I'm considering a replay. It also somehow compelled me to get all the collectibles, which I haven't done in a game since.... ever.

Nemesis X
A new expansion coming out next year.

Gql4_pat8Uo

Kazenji
Its going to be a standalone expansion, It won't require a copy of Saints Row 4 to play.

KingD19
Okay soooo, in a moment of WTFery, the Saints are using a Ouja board to see who Boss will marry/f*ck/kill, and Satan spells out the name of his daughter Jezebelle. Then he sucks him into Hell for a Shotgun Wedding. Gat and Kinzie go down to Hell to bring him back/shoot Satan in the face. And Dane Vogel helps you out.

So it's basically SRIV but you're playing as Gat or Kinzie and I'm assuming you're using an updated or similar superhero type gameplay.

Eh, I'll still play it. More mindless fun is always fun.

Estacado
A new expansion coming out next year.

Gql4_pat8Uo
Looks cool!

Kazenji
There's suppose to be a complete collection for the 4th game with all the DLC which has been released, Saints Row 4 National Treasure Edition

i've yet to see it here.

Nemesis X
There's suppose to be a complete collection for the 4th game with all the DLC which has been released, Saints Row 4 National Treasure Edition

Note to self: don't buy anything the year before the Xbox Two and PS5 come out.

Kazenji
You just do that and wait for those consoles.

Smasandian
I guess. But if I did, I would have never had the experience of playing GTAV and Last of Us for the last year or so.

I can trade them in and get money for it and then 5 years from now when I want to replay them I can probably find them for 10-15 bucks and it would almost be a new experience playing it again because of the updated graphics.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Smasandian

I can trade them in and get money for it and then 5 years from now when I want to replay them I can probably find them for 10-15 bucks and it would almost be a new experience playing it again because of the updated graphics.

Doesn't mean almost every game on last gen should do the same thing.

Smasandian
No. I agree.

Kazenji
With the release of Saints Row 4: Re-Elected for next gen consoles, Someone at Deep Silver accidentally sent the uncensored one to Australia laughing laughing

now they're asking people to return the copy

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/01/saints-row-iv-being-recalled-from-stores-across-australia/

Nemesis X
With the release of Saints Row 4: Re-Elected for next gen consoles, Someone at Deep Silver accidentally sent the uncensored one to Australia laughing laughing

now they're asking people to return the copy

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/01/saints-row-iv-being-recalled-from-stores-across-australia/

Or what? Call the police? Let them enjoy their purchase. Not their fault Deep Silver f'd up.

Kazenji
Or what? Call the police? Let them enjoy their purchase. Not their fault Deep Silver f'd up.

Ditto

got better things to worry about then worrying about a uncensored version of a game.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.