Vader's Redemption in ROTS (had he became emperor)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PhoenixSam5
If Anakin won the duel with Obi Wan, and then he killed the Emperor (without the suit he was much more powerful and also he could avoid force lightning), and Anakin became the Emperor himself, how could he have fullfilled the prophecy of the Chosen One and be redeemed, and bring balance to the Force?

Anakin's destiny was to bring balance to the Force. This situation makes it a LOT harder.

The Emperor trying to kill Luke because of Luke's refusal to turn to the darkside, was a catalyst for Anakin to be redeemed and be the Chosen One. The emperor had vader's family in danger, which allowed for the prophecy to be fullfilled and for anakin to turn good again.

Anakin killing the Emperor a little while after ROTS doesn't solve the problem, because you already have a Sith Lord-Anakin, around.

With Obi wan dead, and presumably Padme still dying, as well as a dead Emperor, only Yoda was left to confront Vader and try to save the twins from being raised as Siths. Remember, in the original trilogy, Obi Wan and Yoda expected Luke to be the Chosen One, as anakin was evil by that point.

Even if Yoda could rescue either Luke, Leia, or even both of them, how could they have redeemed their father, or possibly their evil sibling if Anakin took the other twin?

Maybe if Yoda took one twin and Vader took the other one, Emperor Vader would force lightning the good sibling and the evil sibling turns against their father to save their sibling, mirroring ROTJ. But if that was true, Anakin wouldn't be the Chosen One, because either Luke or Leia kills Anakin to save their Jedi sibling from him.

This situation becomes even more trickier if Anakin raised both Luke and Leia as Sith, redeeming him and making the prophecy happen.

Assuming Anakin was predestined to be the Chosen One, how would he have brought balance if he became the Emperor following ROTS?

-Pr-
He wouldn't have. So at least, from the perspective of the force, everything turned out all right.

PhoenixSam5
Originally posted by -Pr-
He wouldn't have. So at least, from the perspective of the force, everything turned out all right.

No. It was his destiny. With will there's a way.

Even if Anakin became the Emperor, I believe the Force still would have found a way to redeem him and fullfill the prophecy.

-Pr-
sure, in theory.

it might have; nobody knows. I don't think it would have. it would have been much harder, though, with no obi-wan. The force might have found balance again, it just wouldn't have been through Anakin.

PhoenixSam5
sure, in theory.

it might have; nobody knows. I don't think it would have. it would have been much harder, though, with no obi-wan. The force might have found balance again, it just wouldn't have been through Anakin.

If not Anakin, one of the twins would have.

But I think even Emperor Vader could have brought balance somehow.

What are some ways for Emperor Vader to fullfill the prophecy and be redeemed?

-Pr-
No idea, tbh, unless we're going to suppose that when he killed the Emperor, he brought balance at that point.

PhoenixSam5
No idea, tbh, unless we're going to suppose that when he killed the Emperor, he brought balance at that point.

Regardless of the method that he's redeemed (when other users get online and post here, they can add more to our discussion), i think that even if anakin became emperor, he was predestined for redemption, or at least fullfilling the prophecy, at some point in time.

Agree that Anakin was predestined to be the Chosen One?

-Pr-
Of course he was. Maybe the force would have found a way; I don't know.

Ushgarak
Don;t remove the whole agency of the heroes in the saga by saying victory was inevitable- that's completely ridiculous. Also only Anakin could do it, no-one else.

Prs original answer has it- he wouldn't have done.

PhoenixSam5
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Don;t remove the whole agency of the heroes in the saga by saying victory was inevitable- that's completely ridiculous. Also only Anakin could do it, no-one else.

Prs original answer has it- he wouldn't have done.

Luke could have killed the Emperor, as another thread states.

But it's possible that somebody else could have been the Chosen One-most likely Luke Skywalker or Leia.

But even then, I think it's still possible that Anakin was predestined to be the Chosen One. Vader talks to Luke about destiny on cloud city, and sidious talks about destiny to luke on the DS2. In the Prequels, destiny was brought up with qui gon and shmi skywalker.

"nothing is an accident", and "he can help you, he was meant to help you".

-Pr-
I'm pretty sure Lucas made it clear that Anakin is the chosen one.

Ushgarak
Indeed. Anakn was the Chosen One, and only he could kill Sidious. That's the whole point.

Again, if you claim it was all inevitable regardless, you destroy the entire story. It's completely silly.

PhoenixSam5
I'm pretty sure Lucas made it clear that Anakin is the chosen one.

Which proves my arguement that even if Anakin became Emperor, he still would have brought balance!

-Pr-
Originally posted by PhoenixSam5
Which proves my arguement that even if Anakin became Emperor, he still would have brought balance!

Only through redemption and being "good" could he bring balance. Being evil and killing the emperor isn't the same thing.

focus4chumps
Originally posted by PhoenixSam5

ANAKIN was the chosen one. not darth vader.

ROTJ Vader
If Anakin had killed Kenobi and somehow killed Sidious he would have become Emperor. And ruled the galaxy with fear and evil.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by ROTJ Vader
If Anakin had killed Kenobi and somehow killed Sidious he would have become Emperor. And ruled the galaxy with fear and evil. Yeah, we got that. Thank you.

PhoenixSam5
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Indeed. Anakn was the Chosen One, and only he could kill Sidious. That's the whole point.

Again, if you claim it was all inevitable regardless, you destroy the entire story. It's completely silly.

I agree. Anakin wasn't predestined to bring balance; he had the choice to destroy the Sith or not. It would totally ruin the story if predestination was true.

" In working with the Force, you can find your destiny and you can choose to either follow it, or not." -George Lucas

However, here's what I hate about the prophecy. It's the idea that only Anakin could defeat the Sith. I love the idea that Luke or Leia could have fulfilled the Chosen One role by killing Vader and Palpatine. I like the idea that the Force created Anakin as a person with a very high Force potential to defeat the Sith, not that he was the "only one" who could do it.

Luke and Leia could have potentially been as powerful as Anakin, who is the Chosen One.

KingD19
EU makes it weird though, as Luke kills Sidious at least 2-3 times.

PhoenixSam5
Originally posted by KingD19
EU makes it weird though, as Luke kills Sidious at least 2-3 times.

This isn't the EU subforum, but thanks for the info! I'm going to create an EU thread about Luke VS Sidious in a straight up fight.

The only thing I'm going to say here is that Luke was much more powerful in the post ROTJ storylines.

I like the idea that Anakin wasn't the only Jedi who could defeat Sidious. That's why the "chosen one" storyline was lame, IMO.

Kickballjedi
So based on 1) Anakin Defeats ObiWan and 2) Sidius and Yoda both survive- Anakin would find Padme back at the ship still alive and take her to Imperial doctors to save her life first of all. People seem to forget that Anakin only joined the Dark Side, only followed Sidius, only killed younglings to help SAVE his wife and baby. All of the political goals were secondary. So once he saved his babies and Padme (or Padme still dies at childbirth or from a broken heart or whatever), I believe his political hunger dies. He would want to raise his babies and love his wife or just raise and protect the babies with a strong sense of duty to his dead wife. Anakin might then slay Palpatine if he threatens Anakin's family, but would then, again, leave the politcal spotlight to be with his family.

Only after he learns Luke is alive in ESB does he see a window of opportunity to achieve a political goal, which he then throws away (down a shaft) when it threatens his family. Anakin, being raised as a slave with only his Mother to love him is actually the ultimate family man. Anakin's true "redemption" occurs when he disgards his political ideals and decides his son's life is more important than everything else in the galaxy.

queeq
I don't think it's so much a political goal Vader strives for, but POWER. It's the SIth way.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.