The next to die....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ColossusGrundy
We've seen it several time before:

Hal Jordan, Superman, Barry Allen, Captain America, Colossus, Batman.... etc.

A beloved (or not) character "dies" and is later brought back, either better than before or having a lot of new hang-ups for plot devices.

Who in comics RIGHT NOW, needs to DIE in order to salvage the character?

Seriously, who is so predictable, boring, and in need of a "RESET" so much that the only way of making them any more interesting is to kill them?

Use your hatred, use your boredom, be vicious.

If you want, tell the way in which the character dies (be creative).

(and yes, other than deities and spirits, your favorite CAN die)

ThereIsHope
Norman Osborne, Thanos should have stayed dead, Sentry should come back and be impaled on a jazzy easy chair. Alot of characters just dont need to be around. Moonstone etc.

Anthony Stark
Thor, he doesn't die enough....

That's a joke (although I suspect he may in the Godkiller stufff) I'm actually really enjoying the Godkiller stuff.

-Pr-
Cyclops. He needs redemption, and fast.

Barry Allen so we can get Wally back.

Sin I AM
cyclops definately, id like to see hulk off-world for awhile...i deeply enjoyed planet hulk. Thor need to raise his status and remain aloof from midgard. He need to ditch the avengers completely for the sake of the character.

Branlor Swift
Zatanna, Colossus, and don't forget Grundy

Brockalizer
Superman needs to get raped by Zod and then die slowly from Kryptonian AIDS.

SevenShackles
Originally posted by -Pr-
Cyclops. He needs redemption, and fast.

Barry Allen so we can get Wally back.
Really? Cyclops has always Seemed to be one of the more boring x-men as was. I like the idea of him being the new magneto like figure. It opens up possibilities not present for him to venture before his 'fall'.

magneto

-Pr-
Originally posted by SevenShackles
Really? Cyclops has always Seemed to be one of the more boring x-men as was. I like the idea of him being the new magneto like figure. It opens up possibilities not present for him to venture before his 'fall'.

No. No, no, no, no, no.

I need to start rocking Cyclops sigs again, methinks...

Branlor Swift
No. No, no, no, no, no.

I need to start rocking Cyclops sigs again, methinks... Is there a pic of X-Clops doing the X symbol with his arms?

-Pr-
Originally posted by Branlor Swift
Is there a pic of X-Clops doing the X symbol with his arms?

Yes, but i'd never use it. it's too 90s.

Branlor Swift
Yes, but i'd never use it. it's too 90s. Where he also has the X-face mask?

That's too awful to not make a sig out of IMO

-Pr-
Originally posted by Branlor Swift
Where he also has the X-face mask?

That's too awful to not make a sig out of IMO

laughing out loud

I don't know of one with the mask, but I can check... Assuming I can sit through the newer comics.

Really? Cyclops has always Seemed to be one of the more boring x-men as was. I like the idea of him being the new magneto like figure. It opens up possibilities not present for him to venture before his 'fall'. thumb up 'cept he shouldn't fall

-Pr-
Smh...

embrace change, raoul. embrace change.

-Pr-
When it's bad, no thanks.

I challenge anyone to read Morrison or Whedon's run on X-Men and then tell me that Cyclops is boring.

He was NEVER supposed to be like Magneto. It goes against half a century of character development.

morrison's cyke sucked, but I'll give you whedon. he really made cyclops work.

it sure does break away from his last 50 years of characterization, but that hyper-repressed boyscout routine had really become stagnant IMO. now he is being taken in new directions and I'm digging it, if theres one thing I can't stand it's the eternal maintenance of status quo.

-Pr-
Originally posted by 753
morrison's cyke sucked, but I'll give you whedon. he really made cyclops work.

it sure does break away from his last 50 years of characterization, but that hyper-repressed boyscout routine had really become stagnant IMO. now he is being taken in new directions and I'm digging it, if theres one thing I can't stand it's the eternal maintenance of status quo.

You didn't like Morrison's one?

Whedon's one was similar to Simonsen's one, just a little darker, and Simonsen wrote him two decades ago.

They were developing him though; that was the point. They were changing him while still keeping him faithful, and it was working. Turning him in to Magneto basically means that it isn't Cyclops anymore, at least, it's not the same guy.

You didn't like Morrison's one?

Whedon's one was similar to Simonsen's one, just a little darker, and Simonsen wrote him two decades ago.

They were developing him though; that was the point. They were changing him while still keeping him faithful, and it was working. Turning him in to Magneto basically means that it isn't Cyclops anymore, at least, it's not the same guy.

meh, morrison made him complex and layered alright, sure he wasnt boring, but there was this weakness to his fiber that didn't sit well with me. of course everybody is vulnerable and limited, but the way he couldnt face the collapse of his marriage head on and instead fled to a fantasy world with emma, (initially) using her to escape his reality sucked. While I did prefer his later relationship with emma over his thing with jean, that horrible last arc with WPOTC being the one to recandle his will to live as if he couldn't find it in him to keep pushing ahead for the world he wanted cemented his portrayal as a pussy.

well, he isnt magneto though. I see him doing his own thing, branching out of his experiences and forging a new path for mutant radical struggle for self-determination. let's see what bendis makes of it, but gilleon's portrayal during avx consequences was excellent. I also see one of his core personality traits surviving intact: his tenacity. while he did get depressed to the brink of matyrdom by wolverine, he still found his motivation to live and fight in helping mutants. he felt empty and exhausted, but bounced back to defend his dream.

-Pr-
Originally posted by 753
meh, morrison made him complex and layered alright, sure he wasnt boring, but there was this weakness to his fiber that didn't sit well with me. of course everybody is vulnerable and limited, but the way he couldnt face the collapse of his marriage head on and instead fled to a fantasy world with emma, (initially) using her to escape his reality sucked. While I did prefer his later relationship with emma over his thing with jean, that horrible last arc with WPOTC being the one to recandle his will to live as if he couldn't find it in him to keep pushing ahead for the world he wanted cemented his portrayal as a pussy.

well, he isnt magneto though. I see him doing his own thing, branching out of his experiences and forging a new path for mutant radical struggle for self-determination. let's see what bendis makes of it, but gilleon's portrayal during avx consequences was excellent. I also see one of his core personality traits surviving intact: his tenacity. while he did get depressed to the brink of matyrdom by wolverine, he still found his motivation to live and fight in helping mutants. he felt empty and exhausted, but bounced back to defend his dream.

it was a precedent set in earlier runs; it wasn't like Morrison plucked it out of the blue. That, and what Apocalypse had done to him had shattered most of his ideas about the world.

That, and Jean was a **** during that run.

I disagree about his will to live. He had a will to live, just not to be an X-Man anymore, which is understandable. Even back in the Jim Lee days, it was stated that people were amazed that after all he'd been through, he was still getting up in the morning and doing his job.

AVX consequences was a real mixed bag for me. Gillen is a great writer, but if he's not Magneto, then he's something worse, and you can feel editorial pushing on him with that.

it was a precedent set in earlier runs; it wasn't like Morrison plucked it out of the blue. That, and what Apocalypse had done to him had shattered most of his ideas about the world.

That, and Jean was a **** during that run.
i still expected better.

right, it was his will to fight for the dream. thats what I meant, but that was so ingrained in him it could be an extension of his will to live. getting up no matter what to do his job was a mark of his. his tenacity was his best heroic trait.

I don't know... maybe the existence of a more radical group of x-men can be maintained in the long run without degenrating into cartoonish supervillany. I like that the x-men have assimilated the ideological divide instead of being one half of it. maybe now the radical wing can grow past cartoonish supervillany and into something closer to the huey, malcolm x and che guevara figures that (we're told) inspired them. besides, so far cyke has courted the human media and extended support and protection to human simpathizers, he lacks that deepseated segregationist resentment magnus had. being free from phoenix influence he hasn't killed anybody in his rescue operations either.

I also like the way wolverine and him have crossed paths adn everythign that has led them there.

-Pr-
Originally posted by 753
i still expected better.

right, it was his will to fight for the dream. thats what I meant, but that was so ingrained in him it could be an extension of his will to live. getting up no matter what to do his job was a mark of his. his tenacity was his best heroic trait.

I don't know... maybe the existence of a more radical group of x-men can be maintained in the long run without degenrating into cartoonish supervillany. I like that the x-men have assimilated the ideological divide instead of being one half of it. maybe now the radical wing can grow past cartoonish supervillany and into something closer to the huey, malcolm x and che guevara figures that (we're told) inspired them. besides, so far cyke has courted the human media and extended support and protection to human simpathizers, he lacks that deepseated segregationist resentment magnus had. being free from phoenix influence he hasn't killed anybody in his rescue operations either.

I also like the way wolverine and him have crossed paths adn everythign that has led them there.

Better how? Genuinely curious.

And he lost it, which I can understand. I'm not saying that it was a perfect arc or anything, but I thought it did the job. Everyone has a breaking point, and his was brought about by everything piling on top of him. Besides, he got over it anyway.

I think he's doing better now than he was doing during AVX and before it, which imo was a ****ing atrocious mess. Bendis hasn't turned it in to a cluster**** just yet.

come forward and end it with jean or at least ell her about it all.

he did, but because JG worked her phoenix on him. that's what I can't stand about that arc (well, that and the general silliness of sublime and everything else)

carver9
Originally posted by Sin I AM
cyclops definately, id like to see hulk off-world for awhile...i deeply enjoyed planet hulk. Thor need to raise his status and remain aloof from midgard. He need to ditch the avengers completely for the sake of the character.

Lol...of course you would say that.

-Pr-
Originally posted by 753
come forward and end it with jean or at least ell her about it all.

he did, but because JG worked her phoenix on him. that's what I can't stand about that arc (well, that and the general silliness of sublime and everything else)

That was the issue. He and Jean were drifting apart and, quite believably imo, they just weren't able to talk the way they used to.

I don't think she had that much of an effect on him. She nudged him in the right direction, but I don't think, say, his relationship with Emma or his growth under Whedon, can be attributed to Jean.

Originally posted by carver9
Lol...of course you would say that.

You don't have to be snippy with people.

That was the issue. He and Jean were drifting apart and, quite believably imo, they just weren't able to talk the way they used to.

I don't think she had that much of an effect on him. She nudged him in the right direction, but I don't think, say, his relationship with Emma or his growth under Whedon, can be attributed to Jean.

You don't have to be snippy with people. after everything they went through together and the average portrayal of his character, that wasn't good enough.

I dont think she was responsible for the rest of his development either.

-Pr-
Originally posted by 753
after everything they went through together and the average portrayal of his character, that wasn't good enough.

I dont think she was responsible for the rest of his development either.

Why not? His world had been utterly demolished by what Apocalypse had done to him. Then his wife wasn't reaching out to him at the same time he wasn't reaching out to her, so he had nobody to turn to. Then he turned to Emma, and the confusion over his feelings, and the guilt about what had happened with her only added to it. Then, after all that, Jean goes and dies, and Scott is expected to lead the X-Men while Xavier ****s off to sun himself. I honestly felt it was consistent.

thumb up

Why not? His world had been utterly demolished by what Apocalypse had done to him. Then his wife wasn't reaching out to him at the same time he wasn't reaching out to her, so he had nobody to turn to. Then he turned to Emma, and the confusion over his feelings, and the guilt about what had happened with her only added to it. Then, after all that, Jean goes and dies, and Scott is expected to lead the X-Men while Xavier ****s off to sun himself. I honestly felt it was consistent.

thumb up I was refering to him not coming clean with her in the first place. he did have someone to turn to, even if it was difficult, he could have faced it instead of fleeing. he's pushed through a lot in the past too.

-Pr-
Originally posted by 753
I was refering to him not coming clean with her in the first place. he did have someone to turn to, even if it was difficult, he could have faced it instead of fleeing. he's pushed through a lot in the past too.

I don't think he could have done it this time, though. He was feeling ashamed of himself on a level he'd never felt before, and as well as that, Jean had her own shit to deal with, with running the school and the fact that she was starting to Phoenix up again.

I think it's more than understandable that Cyclops might have felt like his problems weren't something he wanted to bring up, either because he was ashamed, or simply because he felt like she didn't need that pressure on top of her.

Him taking the emotional pain rather than saddling her with it, I think, is in character for him. It goes back to the whole Madelyne thing and the run in X-Factor, imo.

Mindset
It goes against half a century of character development. People change, Pr, geez.

pym-ftw
I think Scott should either kill or banish Magneto from his team, he needs to step out as his own man...

Arcade needs to die along with Avengers Arena, its painfully terrible..

SevenShackles
Originally posted by pym-ftw
I think Scott should either kill or banish Magneto from his team, he needs to step out as his own man...

Arcade needs to die along with Avengers Arena, its painfully terrible..
No no no. Scott can't be responsible for killing both professor X AND Magneto, that's just Way too much. Other than that I agree magneto needs to leave his team and never return. He needs to make this new 'revolutionary' persona his own. Honestly with the x-men being absorbed into the 'avengers' the way they were cyclops's team are the only team of x-men that (in my opinion) feel like an older version of the team.. Get to a place that needs help, do all you can, save a mutant and leave before cops/sentinels/bad guys/whoever might make things worse shows up. Kinda tired of the genocide crap, let's get back to simply being hated and misunderstood outlaws.

Oh hows avengers arena going? I was interested in it since I been waiting for that girl from annihilation to show up again. Haven't gotten a chance to buy any yet.

pym-ftw
No no no. Scott can't be responsible for killing both professor X AND Magneto, that's just Way too much. Other than that I agree magneto needs to leave his team and never return. He needs to make this new 'revolutionary' persona his own. Honestly with the x-men being absorbed into the 'avengers' the way they were cyclops's team are the only team of x-men that (in my opinion) feel like an older version of the team.. Get to a place that needs help, do all you can, save a mutant and leave before cops/sentinels/bad guys/whoever might make things worse shows up. Kinda tired of the genocide crap, let's get back to simply being hated and misunderstood outlaws.

Oh hows avengers arena going? I was interested in it since I been waiting for that girl from annihilation to show up again. Haven't gotten a chance to buy any yet.
Cable & the X Force is like that

Cyke is either
A: Turn into a Avenger villian, because the xmen are so low on members that Wolverine has to run triple duty

Or

B: just be a wasted character arch, and we can all wait for AvX to be retconned away

-Pr-
Originally posted by Mindset
People change, Pr, geez.

They do change, but only to a point. Imagine if you woke up one day and weren't a rapist anymore. That would be pretty drastic, no?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.