Riddick (2013)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

marwash22
IMDB synopsis:
Left for dead on a sun-scorched planet, Riddick finds himself up against an alien race of predators. Activating an emergency beacon alerts two ships: one carrying a new breed of mercenary, the other captained by a man from Riddick's past.

http://www.impawards.com/2013/posters/riddick.jpg

Starring: Vin Diesel, Karl Urban, Katie Sackhoff & David Bautista.

_-s_9ADX7Gw

Robtard
Meh

Mindset
Hem

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Robtard
Meh

23 SECONDS of footage & you've already judged the entire movie. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Mindset
One word and you've already judged Robtard?

BruceSkywalker
looks good

Ascendancy
Where's his loyal Necro army?

KingD19
Looks like Vaago betrayed him and took over.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by KingD19
Looks like Vaago betrayed him and took over.

Apparently the story starts with Riddick on the run again & little or no mention to Vaago or him being once a leader to the Necros.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Mindset

I have the unique ability to judge strangers on the internet.

Sometimes it's like a curse. wink

KingD19
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Apparently the story starts with Riddick on the run again & little or no mention to Vaago or him being once a leader to the Necros.

Not quite true.

"Betrayed by his own kind and left for dead on a desolate planet, Riddick fights for survival against alien predators and becomes more powerful and dangerous than ever before." - From wikipedia

"Left for dead on a sun-scorched planet, Riddick finds himself up against an alien race of predators." -From IMDB

Both synopsis' point to the fact that Riddick was betrayed by the Necromongers and left to die, and considering Vaago is now known as "Lord Vaago", it's pretty clear that he took over.

Esau Cairn
Well I actually didn't MAKE UP what I said, I read a recent interview with Twohy where he stated, "it's back to basics with Riddick & won't rely too much on what happened in Chronicles."

So yeah it's about Riddick on the run, regardless why.

Mindset
I have the unique ability to judge strangers on the internet.

Sometimes it's like a curse. wink That's what Hitler said.

Patient_Leech
Alright, I caved and watched the teaser. Looks f#cking awesome. I'm definitely not going to watch the full trailers, though.

Mindset
Why not?

Ascendancy
Cause trailers give away half the damn movie.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Ascendancy
Cause trailers give away half the damn movie.

Exactly. The teaser is a good thing for me to watch. Doesn't really show much or give anything away, but it does display a tiny taste of how it looks, which is all I wanted. I am pleased with the way it looks, so definitely not going to watch the full trailers.

And it's "Vaako," you clowns. Not "Vaago."

Tzeentch._
People call him Vaago because he was a giant pussy in Chronicles.

Robtard
23 SECONDS of footage & you've already judged the entire movie. roll eyes (sarcastic) Originally posted by Mindset

LoLz.

But to respond to your claim Esau, that was a very shitty preview and that in turn doesn't bode well for the film thus far. Hence my "meh" comment.

Patient_Leech

But to respond to your claim Esau, that was a very shitty preview and that in turn doesn't bode well for the film thus far. Hence my "meh" comment.

What exactly was so shitty about it, Great and Powerful Film Prophet? It didn't show shots from every major scene like a full length trailer? Hell, it didn't even show any of the other co-stars. Just showed a few creatures and Riddick himself.

Robtard
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
What exactly was so shitty about it, Great and Powerful Film Prophet? It didn't show shots from every major scene like a full length trailer? Hell, it didn't even show any of the other co-stars. Just showed a few creatures and Riddick himself.

LoL, almost forgot you're the guy that takes it personal and cries when other people don't go balls deep for the films you dig. Anyhow. The parts between 0:01 and 0:22 basically. It makes the film appear like another stupid action crap-fest of the likes of G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, thus far.

Now, what made it look "f#cking awesome" in your eyes, since it "just showed a few creatures and Riddick himself" and apparently I'm not allowed to get an early reading from that?

IMO, you should tread lightly on this one, wouldn't want you to John Carter yourself again.

Patient_Leech
Your dick-hood gets old dude. Get over yourself.

The imagery looks well conceived to me. Looks like it's been carefully constructed again. And we haven't even gotten a taste of the story yet, and Twohy is so good at that. He takes his sci fi writing very seriously. Always has good characters.

Robtard

The imagery looks well conceived to me. Looks like it's been carefully constructed again. And we haven't even gotten a taste of the story yet, and Twohy is so good at that. He takes his sci fi writing very seriously. Always has good characters.

Really now, who opened up their conversation being an ass here? It wasn't me.

I saw nothing spectacular in that preview nor anything that suggest "careful construction", maybe that's just me. Will wait for future previews.

Ascendancy
This looks more along the lines of Pitch Black in terms of feel/pacing and cinematography from the little shown. Chronicles was not perfect but still quite enjoyable. I'll likely check this one out.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Ascendancy
This looks more along the lines of Pitch Black in terms of feel/pacing and cinematography from the little shown.
I agree. And I see now the fine line they're having to tread here because it could be a little awkward if they ignore the epic build-up that Chronicles started, so they'll have to delicately hint at that mythology while staying a bit more intimate and personal (like Pitch Black). But that's what they've said they've aimed for, so hopefully it works.

And in regard to why Vaako is now "Lord Vaako": I think I read somewhere that Vaako actually helps Riddick somehow. Not sure how, but that was the impression I got. Plus there's this image...

http://d1fgn7wex1bhjn.cloudfront.net/assets/tarantulaV2/embedded_images/1359390934_hr_Riddick_16.jpg

jaden101
CGI looks better than I expected given the budget. Well...except for that 1st creature. Although even that looked a lot better than those stupid dog things from chronicles.

Ascendancy
I agree. And I see now the fine line they're having to tread here because it could be a little awkward if they ignore the epic build-up that Chronicles started, so they'll have to delicately hint at that mythology while staying a bit more intimate and personal (like Pitch Black). But that's what they've said they've aimed for, so hopefully it works.

And in regard to why Vaako is now "Lord Vaako": I think I read somewhere that Vaako actually helps Riddick somehow. Not sure how, but that was the impression I got. Plus there's this image...

http://d1fgn7wex1bhjn.cloudfront.net/assets/tarantulaV2/embedded_images/1359390934_hr_Riddick_16.jpg

Well it was clear Riddick never really wanted the helm of leadership. Guessing they'd have to stage something for Vaako to take over seamlessly though, and stop infighting among the necros.

Patient_Leech
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/1859_10151605464228313_1454771939_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/539084_10151628376668313_1084095849_n.jpg

Tzeentch._
He's definitely bald. No doubt about it.

Supra
Why is he not the leader of the undead army anymore?

Patient_Leech
From Vin via Facebook...

That's good news, actually. Should make many aware of it.

Scarlet Fox
Originally posted by Supra
Why is he not the leader of the undead army anymore?
This was explained earlier in the Thread. Apparently he was betrayed by them and left for dead on a planet.

quanchi112

The imagery looks well conceived to me. Looks like it's been carefully constructed again. And we haven't even gotten a taste of the story yet, and Twohy is so good at that. He takes his sci fi writing very seriously. Always has good characters. Robtard is the film prophet who can predict a film by a short preview. He is also very narrow minded.

Patient_Leech
^ lol Truer words have never been written.

nannasin28
no mention to Vaago or him being once a leader to the Necros. DS1302

Robtard
^ lol Truer words have never been written.

This is why you're a dunce: You said "looks awesome!" (pg1); it's all good. I said "looks meh" and you cry.

People have different opinions; you don't have to cry if they don't agree with yours on one of your favorite franchises/characters. You did(and still do) the same exact crying when people didn't go balls deep like you did over Prometheus. Like it's your baby or some shit.

Do we need to bring up your John Carter fiasco where you predicted it was going to be some spectacular film cos of the previews and then it turned out to be a turd? Do we?

Esau Cairn
predicted it was going to be some spectacular film cos of the previews and then it turned out to be a turd? Do we?

Have you actually watched John Carter?

It IS (for want of a better word) a spectacular film as far as action, adventure & fantasy is concerned.

Unfortunately it is also a film that will go down in Hollywood history for being so badly marketed that it bombed solely on that merit.

Robtard
I have. It was just alright overall, imo.

Tzeentch._
Have you actually watched John Carter?

It IS (for want of a better word) a spectacular film as far as action, adventure & fantasy is concerned.

Unfortunately it is also a film that will go down in Hollywood history for being so badly marketed that it bombed solely on that merit.

It was ass. The cgi was good. The plot, writing and characterization was just one action-adventure cliche after another.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Tzeentch._
It was ass. The cgi was good. The plot, writing and characterization was just one action-adventure cliche after another.

Cliched?
You've gotta put things into perspective. John Carter was created in 1912.
What you might term as cliched is because of the fact that directors like Speilberg, Lucas & Cameron were influenced, growing up reading the John Carter novels & using the "one action-adventure cliche after another" formula to death in their movies.
Cameron went for blue people instead of green & Lucas stole the battle of the beasts stadium fight straight from the John Carter stories.

Tzeentch._
1. What does a book made in 1912 have to do with a movie made in 2012? Directors take creative liberties to improve source material they're working on all the time.

2. Why should I care about the reasons for why the movie was filled with cliches? If the book the movie was based on was a piece of shit, am I supposed to forgive a movie that is based upon that book for being a piece of shit? Of course not.

NemeBro

Tzeentch._
Why do I give a shit about the novel at all? I didn't pay money to read the novel, I paid money to watch the movie based off of the novel. Whether the novel was cliche or good or a piece of shit is inconsequential.

NemeBro

Tzeentch._
No I didn't, you retard. The book that was referred to as shit was a metaphor, not a specific reference to any book.

stfu. it's too late i h8 u

Patient_Leech
Oh lord, I could go into why Disney's poorly casted and unlikeable John Carter sucked balls compared to the books all day, but this is not the place for it.

ON TOPIC:

Hahaha, I just saw this: A woman named Lani Minella is credited on IMDB now as being a Judi Dench sound-alike. Either they couldn't afford Judi Dench or she wasn't available... heh, probably the former.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjAyMDU4NDU2Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjc2ODc3Mg@@._V1._SY314_CR102,0,214,314_.jpg

Patient_Leech
This is why you're a dunce: You said "looks awesome!" (pg1); it's all good. I said "looks meh" and you cry.

People have different opinions; you don't have to cry if they don't agree with yours on one of your favorite franchises/characters. You did(and still do) the same exact crying when people didn't go balls deep like you did over Prometheus. Like it's your baby or some shit.

Do we need to bring up your John Carter fiasco where you predicted it was going to be some spectacular film cos of the previews and then it turned out to be a turd? Do we?

You are an incredible internet douche, and I refuse to justify any of your bullshit with a response. Get a life, bro.

Robtard
You are an incredible internet douche, and I refuse to justify any of your bullshit with a response. Get a life, bro.

Probably shouldn't start talking shit in the first place, if you can't handle being put in your place.

Patient_Leech
^ "Derpy Derp." That's all I understand from you. Get over your ego, negro. wink

Thought this was cool: I remembered this Riddick 3 preliminary image from a LONG time ago (if fact I think it might have been the first image I saw for Riddick 3)...

http://www.filmofilia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Riddick-3-Concept-Art-Fifth-Horseman.jpg

Well, I recently came across this photo on facebook: The caption is "A Supercell Thunderstorm Cloud Over Montana
(Image Credit & Copyright: Sean R. Heavey)"

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/474677_583801051654269_1157891216_o.jpg

Looks like they might have been doing a little bit of visual research into strange and fascinating storms for the film. Very cool.

quanchi112
Probably shouldn't start talking shit in the first place, if you can't handle being put in your place. You really just make an ass of yourself.

Robtard
Originally posted by quanchi112
You really just make an ass of yourself.

Replying to post that don't concern you like a butthurt-thread-stalker. Do get off my nuts already, it's in the creep factor now. smile

quanchi112
Butthurt-thread-stalker, get off my nuts already, it's in the creep factor now. smile You're just an ass. I want to help you.

Robtard
You're just an ass. I want to help you.

Stop derailing every thread I'm in with your butthurt-thread-stalking. It's not fair to others. smile

quanchi112
Stop derailing every thread I'm in with your butthurt-thread-stalking. It's not fair to others. smile Apologize to him.

Robtard
Apologize to him.

You do realize thread-stalking for the purposes of derailing is a bannable offense? Granted, Imp's relaxed and most likely won't do it, but there are other mods in here and I'm pretty sure you might already be on PR's shit list.

Patient_Leech
^ More "Derpy derp-derp" nonsense. Damn, does the 'tard every say ANYTHING that is even remotely interesting?? It's just a constant flow of bullshit.

quanchi112
You do realize thread-stalking for the purposes of derailing is a bannable offense? Granted, Imp's relaxed and most likely won't do it, but there are other mods in here and I'm pretty sure you might already be on PR's shit list. This from the guy who says reporting people is stupid. Butthurt. Also

^ More "Derpy derp-derp" nonsense. Damn, does the 'tard every say ANYTHING that is even remotely interesting?? It's just a constant flow of bullshit. You are the one tard mucking it up not me.

Kazenji

You are the one tard mucking it up not me.

Yeah because your so perfect........ erm

quanchi112
Originally posted by Kazenji
Yeah because your so perfect........ erm I never once said I was perfect.

Esau Cairn
1. What does a book made in 1912 have to do with a movie made in 2012? Directors take creative liberties to improve source material they're working on all the time.

2. Why should I care about the reasons for why the movie was filled with cliches? If the book the movie was based on was a piece of shit, am I supposed to forgive a movie that is based upon that book for being a piece of shit? Of course not.

I think the biggest factor to liking John Carter as a movie is to have had read the novels as a kid.
I read all the John Carter stories as well as Tarzan when I was 14/15 ...so to finally see JC on the big screen was like a childhood fantasy come through.
I even appreciated the nod to Edgar Rice Burroughs as a character in the movie...that to me, showed the utter respect the director had for both author & character.

Patient_Leech
Well this thread is way off now... Jebus.

Esau Cairn
Chill dude. The anticipation of Riddick is still strong.

Kazenji
Has Vin teased any new pictures?

Robtard

Just a couple nipple-slip ones.

Esau Cairn
Just a couple nipple-slip ones.

Leech has been stalking with his camera again. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Patient_Leech

I don't think so. Nothing too spectacular at least. Just this most recently...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/428541_10151686663928313_2050593716_n.jpg

Esau Cairn
Is that Vin discovering the spy-cam you installed in his bathroom?

quanchi112
Is that Vin discovering the spy-cam you installed in his bathroom? laughing out loud

mandijames

Patient_Leech
My fascination with Vin does not exceed the universe of Riddick..

Well, maybe it's begun to bleed into Fast and the Furious a little bit, but that's shit's pretty good, too. I actually just watched the original film for the first time the other day. Liked it. Seen Fast 5, too, which is also excellent.

jaden101
He was on the Jonathan Ross show the other night wearing a t-shirt with 'furyan' written on it.

Robtard
Originally posted by mandijames

Stop making sock accounts to troll-stalk me, Quanchi smile

Patient_Leech
Supposed to be some trailer with Riddick battling mercs, but I ain't looking...

http://mobile.thewrap.com/thewrap/pm_105952/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=BWWIV6HR

...someone else confirm if there is or isn't, please. (I'm at work also)

marwash22
it's a regular trailer.

tDxDEjDMreA

Robtard
Yes on the battling guys, but I had no sound.

Definitely had some Pitch Black elements in that trailer.

BruceSkywalker
watched the trailer at school.. looks decent

Robtard
Why are you watching previews at school when you should be studying, Bruce!? Kids these days.

Tzeentch._
Looks watchable.

Also looks like they're pretending Chronicles never happened lol. It's almost the exact same premise as Pitch Black.

Robtard
It's almost the exact same premise as Pitch Black.

Maybe he'll stab another girl, like he did Fry.

Tzeentch._
Maybe.

You'd like another opportunity to claim that what the director said in an interview about his own movie was wrong, wouldn't you? 313

Patient_Leech
Lol, that whole bag o' worms again... please don't get him started.

Gonna muster all my will power not to watch the trailer. No spoilers please. smile

marwash22
Riddick rips out a man's throat.

spoiler alert. smile

Patient_Leech
I'm expecting and hoping for that anyway... haha

marwash22
lol

Robtard
Maybe.

You'd like another opportunity to claim that what the director said in an interview about his own movie was wrong, wouldn't you? 313

What frikken interview, bro?

Riddick's a survivor. Period. Maybe that means taking a Islamist and little girl with him; maybe it means stabbing a ho. Riddick don't care.

Patient_Leech
Oh dear lord, he's started again...

Riddick don't care.

He does care and he doesn't care. That's why he's an antihero, bro.

marwash22
wish i knew what this whole thing was about so i could instigate.

Robtard
Oh dear lord, he's started again...

He does care and he doesn't care. That's why he's an antihero, bro.

You can't handle it, so tread lightly.

Yeah, that's exactly what I explained. He was turned antihero-ish for Chronicles, in PB, he was just a bad-ass survivor.

KingD19
http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhj9B77z4up7k61Cq9 - New trailer. So badass.

Kazenji
tDxDEjDMreA

Esau Cairn
You can't handle it, so tread lightly.

Yeah, that's exactly what I explained. He was turned antihero-ish for Chronicles, in PB, he was just a bad-ass survivor.

GODDAMIT.

HE WAS THE BAD ASS SURVIVOR WITH THE HEART OF AN ANTI-HERO.

mad Happy Dance mad

Tzeentch._
Man, those trailers are way too freakin long.

2:30 seconds is just too much.

Esau Cairn
Judging by the trailer, it's back to basics with Riddick in Pitch Black survival mode.

That's not a bad thing IMO however it would've been nice to also follow the Furyan legend & Necros too.

Patient_Leech
Another trailer?? And it's 2 min 30 sec? Jesus..

That's why I ain't watching.. they show too damn much.

Wait, maybe the first trailer was a trailer for the trailer... lol

Kazenji
Next they will show actuals scenes from the movie, Just like what they do with alot of the movies these days.

koolluke
The full trailer was released a couple of weeks ago and shows a lot more of the style of the film, it looks more like Pitch Black.

Patient_Leech
Don't think I mentioned this before, but I just noticed and it pleases me to point out that Graeme Revell is doing the soundtrack for the new film. He did Chronicles, which was phenomenal. I like his work a lot. This is very good news in terms of maintaining continuity.

quanchi112
Judging by the trailer, it's back to basics with Riddick in Pitch Black survival mode.

That's not a bad thing IMO however it would've been nice to also follow the Furyan legend & Necros too. Id rather follow the Necros and Furyans. That was interesting unlike Pitch Black.

Major_Lexington
definitely would be interesting to follow the Furyans, all in all this looks like a cool sequel. genuinely looking forward to it.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Major_Lexington
definitely would be interesting to follow the Furyans, all in all this looks like a cool sequel. genuinely looking forward to it. A cool mythos a shame Riddick wasn't a hit.

koolluke
Thought this was cool: I remembered this Riddick 3 preliminary image from a LONG time ago (if fact I think it might have been the first image I saw for Riddick 3)...

If you check out Vin Diesel's FB page he posted a load of pretty cool fan art on there.

quanchi112
Originally posted by koolluke
If you check out Vin Diesel's FB page he posted a load of pretty cool fan art on there. link ?

koolluke
www . facebook. com/VinDiesel or actually it's easier to view them here: www . riddick-movie. com/gallery/riddick-fan-art/58/

Without the spaces, as I'm a new member I can't post links, can someone repost them as links please?

quanchi112
Originally posted by koolluke
www . facebook. com/VinDiesel or actually it's easier to view them here: www . riddick-movie. com/gallery/riddick-fan-art/58/

Without the spaces, as I'm a new member I can't post links, can someone repost them as links please? K.

jaden101
The necros are possibly the worst thing I've ever seen in sci-fi. Their entire mythology sounds like it was written by an angsty 14 year old emo. Furyan's on the other hand could have a well constructed narrative but at the moment don't really have any mythology. Their 2 representatives are a mixed showing to say the least. Hard as nails Riddick and soft as shit skinny bloke who walked out into the crematoria sun. I for one will be glad if they entirely abandon the necro bullshit and get Riddick back to being cold, calculating bad bastard who knows how to kill and how to survive.

the ninjak
Originally posted by jaden101
The necros are possibly the worst thing I've ever seen in sci-fi. Their entire mythology sounds like it was written by an angsty 14 year old emo. Furyan's on the other hand could have a well constructed narrative but at the moment don't really have any mythology. Their 2 representatives are a mixed showing to say the least. Hard as nails Riddick and soft as shit skinny bloke who walked out into the crematoria sun. I for one will be glad if they entirely abandon the necro bullshit and get Riddick back to being cold, calculating bad bastard who knows how to kill and how to survive.

True. The idiots that wrote the sequel should have been castrated.

Part 2 should'e been Riddick killing mercenaries on the snow planet.
Tonnes of mercs seeking a huge payday.

Keep it simple, brutal and sweet. The whole Necromonger story was just trying to elevate Riddick into the ridiculous.

And the two words fit well together in regards to what we got.

Riddickulous.

Patient_Leech
The necros are possibly the worst thing I've ever seen in sci-fi.

That assertion is what's ridiculous. Good hyperbole, though.

Robtard
Originally posted by the ninjak
True. The idiots that wrote the sequel should have been castrated.

Part 2 should'e been Riddick killing mercenaries on the snow planet.
Tonnes of mercs seeking a huge payday.

Keep it simple, brutal and sweet. The whole Necromonger story was just trying to elevate Riddick into the ridiculous.

And the two words fit well together in regards to what we got.

Riddickulous.

I was somewhat hoping that this flick would have completely ignored Riddick Chronicles and pretended that turd never plopped out, like Superman Returns ignored Superman 3 and 4 in its continuity.

jaden101
That assertion is what's ridiculous. Good hyperbole, though.

I try. I know how you get personally offended when someone criticises it though but try not to get yourself worked up. But in all seriousness. Have you ever heard a cheesier line than 'he's not a man. He's the holy half dead who has seen the underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine' and 'til underverse come'

But hey, I'm all about other people's opinions. So what's the worst/cheesiest thing you've seen in a supposedly serious film. Let's keep it modern though as you can forgive everything pre-1991 benefiting from a bit of cheese such as total recall.

'

Patient_Leech
Have you ever heard a cheesier line than 'he's not a man. He's the holy half dead who has seen the underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine' and 'til underverse come'

I'll grant that there is some lame shit in Chronicles. I don't like certain things (the main thing being the stupid "Elemental" race, represented by Judy Dench's character). But those lines are not stupid to me. It's a sci-fi mythology, like Star Wars, and to me it's no stupider than "The Force." People f*cking love Star Wars for that shit. And there are theories out there about alternate dimensions and so they've just designed a parody of "faith" and "religion" around the theory. I happen to be one who is very critical of organized religion, so I think it's profound and highly entertaining.

So, if you don't mind, don't condescend to me, because opinions (including yours) are like assholes: everyone has one.

jaden101
I don't mind condescending to you. It's fine.

The problem, for me, isn't about the concept of an enemy based on religious zealotry. It's the terminology in Chronicles around the necromongers that is so cheesy. Even the name 'necromongers' is like some bad Swedish black metal band. All the black hair and gimpy half humanoid creatures in dog collars etc. All a little to gothy and emo.

It does amaze me that people like Thandie Newton and Judy Dench signed up for it though. Given how mostly dreadful and cheesy their dialogue is.

Esau Cairn
I don't mind condescending to you. It's fine.

The problem, for me, isn't about the concept of an enemy based on religious zealotry. It's the terminology in Chronicles around the necromongers that is so cheesy. Even the name 'necromongers' is like some bad Swedish black metal band. All the black hair and gimpy half humanoid creatures in dog collars etc. All a little to gothy and emo.

I always associated the Necros as a very dangerous & powerful cult.
Their appearance struck pure psychological damage to the people & planets they invaded & converted.
Ok you might've found some terms cheesy...but then again in real life you have cults with names like Forever Family & Heaven's Gate.

I personally loved the dark gothic approach to the ships' design & costumes...just because it's sci-fi doesn't mean everything has to be shiny, clean & beeping with bright lights like Star Trek/Wars.

quanchi112
The necros are possibly the worst thing I've ever seen in sci-fi. Their entire mythology sounds like it was written by an angsty 14 year old emo. Furyan's on the other hand could have a well constructed narrative but at the moment don't really have any mythology. Their 2 representatives are a mixed showing to say the least. Hard as nails Riddick and soft as shit skinny bloke who walked out into the crematoria sun. I for one will be glad if they entirely abandon the necro bullshit and get Riddick back to being cold, calculating bad bastard who knows how to kill and how to survive. Couldnt disagree more. Part 2 was awesome and had it been a hit I would have grown to love the franchise. As it stands we are back to part 1 type plot which I didn't care for at all.

Underverse was very interesting and cool IMO. Would have loved to have seen it had it been a hit more explored as the creator would have done so. Shame.

jaden101
Like I said, it's not the concept I have a problem with. It's the nomenclature and scripting that makes it cheesy.

Esau Cairn
It's the nomenclature and scripting that makes it cheesy.

Personally I always cringed at names like Darth...Vader, Maul, Sidious.

Han Solo?

The Dark Side?

Kazenji
Couldnt disagree more. Part 2 was awesome and had it been a hit I would have grown to love the franchise. As it stands we are back to part 1 type plot which I didn't care for at all..

So you would've liked the movie more if it did better at the box office basically eer

quanchi112
So you would've liked the movie more if it did better at the box office basically eer No. I see you can't comprehend. I would have liked the direction he'd have went in which was only possible if it was a success. These movies with big budgets can't flop and be expected to be given huge budgets again.

Part 2 was vastly superior to part 1 to me. Want more of 2 not part 1.

Understand now ?

Robtard
So you would've liked the movie more if it did better at the box office basically eer

laughing out loud This is his standard MO.

quanchi112
laughing out loud This is his standard MO. Two people who can't comprehend what they read. I hope you're happy together.

Robtard
Two people who can't comprehend what they read. I hope you're happy together.

Yeah, spin some more, bandwagon-boi.

quanchi112

Robtard

quanchi112
Incorrect. Launch film didn't bomb. Pitch Black doubled its money and then some.

Pitch Black > Chronicles in quality, acting, story, script etc. despite having a 4th to a 5th of the budget. We need more Pitch Black and less Chronicles, which is hopefully what we're getting here.

These two film are a perfect example of why the substance approach is superior to the big explosions approach (aka the Michael Bay). Chronicles bombed Thats why they went back to shitty style of first which I don't like. That's why I won't be a fan because I liked 2 and not one. Are you catching on, fairweather ?

Mythology was further explored in part 2 which is better than running and hiding from scary aliens. Part 2>>1.

This article was in response to Chronicles not Pitch Black launching.

Robtard
Chronicles bombed Thats why they went back to shitty style of first which I don't like. That's why I won't be a fan because I liked 2 and not one. Are you catching on, fairweather ?

Mythology was further explored in part 2 which is better than running and hiding from scary aliens. Part 2>>1.

This article was in response to Chronicles not Pitch Black launching.

What I know is that you make silly and/or incorrect statements and then flip about when someone shows you why you were incorrect and/or silly, just as you did now, bandwagon-boi.

I disagree, PB is the superior film. But you're welcome to your opinion, even though your often "more money = better film" stance doesn't support you here. But oh well, pick and choose when something applies. Moving on.

Articles. Okay. Pitch Black was the film that launched the Riddick franchise, be more clear as you were factually wrong.

quanchi112
What I know is that you make silly and/or incorrect statements and then flip about when someone shows you why you were incorrect and/or silly, just as you did now, bandwagon-boi.

I disagree, PB is the superior film. But you're welcome to your opinion, even though your often "more money = better film" stance doesn't support you here. But oh well, pick and choose when something applies. Moving on.

Articles. Okay. Pitch Black was the film that launched the Riddick franchise, be more clear as you were factually wrong. No. You along with your idiot friend misinterpreted what I said. I want the mythos further explored in the apsame vein as part 2.

Not even close. Part 1 couldn't hold part 2's jock.

Higher budget means better special effects and the ability to do something grand or epic.

The article is in response to Chronicles so this is the launch film according to this article. Franchise had promise until it tanked and were back to square 1 which I didn't care for at all.

Robtard
No. You along with your idiot friend misinterpreted what I said. I want the mythos further explored in the apsame vein as part 2.

Not even close. Part 1 couldn't hold part 2's jock.

Higher budget means better special effects and the ability to do something grand or epic.

The article is in response to Chronicles so this is the launch film according to this article. Franchise had promise until it tanked and were back to square 1 which I didn't care for at all.

laughing out loud The rage over being called out over an obvious foot-in-the-mouth comment, bandwagon-boi.

I said you're welcome to your opinion, so are you trying to convince me or yourself now?

And if Chronicles had been financially successful, you'd have jumped all other Riddick's dick, your words, bro smile

Well then, thank baby jesus that Chronicles tanked, cos we need a more PB-like film for Riddick.

Esau Cairn
. Part 1 couldn't hold part 2's jock.

And what you fail to grasp is that from the very beginning Pitch Black was only ever meant to be a small budget, one-off film.
There was never any intentions of a sequel much less 3rd film.

It wasn't the profit of the 1st film that spurred a sequel but the unforseen fanbase that Riddick's character generated that got both Twohy & Vin thinking franchise.

quanchi112
laughing out loud The rage over being called out over an obvious foot-in-the-mouth comment, bandwagon-boi.

I said you're welcome to your opinion, so are you trying to convince me or yourself now?

And if Chronicles had been financially successful, you'd have jumped all other Riddick's dick, your words, bro smile

Well then, thank baby jesus that Chronicles tanked, cos we need a more PB-like film for Riddick. No, you misinterpreted my words. No, I don't care much for Riddick but I did like the idea of the Underverse. That was cool. You are always wrong.

quanchi112
And what you fail to grasp is that from the very beginning Pitch Black was only ever meant to be a small budget, one-off film.
There was never any intentions of a sequel much less 3rd film.

It wasn't the profit of the 1st film that spurred a sequel but the unforseen fanbase that Riddick's character generated that got both Twohy & Vin thinking franchise. I know that but due to the interest part 2 was greenlit with a much bigger budget and at that point David's plans were grand. The mythos is interesting but it flopped and won't ever be explored. You may prefer part 1 but I like part 2 for expanding the mythos and making it far grander.

jaden101
It didn't so much expand a mythos as create one that, in my opinion, didn't fit in at all with what had previously been established. If they did a separate film without Riddick and based on some other protagonist fighting against the necros it might have worked. Or even focussed on the necros themselves with conflicted ideas about whether how they expand is positive or negative then it might've worked. But it just doesn't fit with Riddick. You can't shoe horn in a religion based conquering race of undead into a story about a criminal being hunted by bounty hunters and expect them to gel. That's why chronicles seemed like 2 entirely separate film plots occasionally bumping into each other. The whole Riddick on crematoria and the bounty hunters occasionally meeting the necros as they conquer planets. It didn't work together and that's why it failed.

quanchi112
It didn't so much expand a mythos as create one that, in my opinion, didn't fit in at all with what had previously been established. If they did a separate film without Riddick and based on some other protagonist fighting against the necros it might have worked. Or even focussed on the necros themselves with conflicted ideas about whether how they expand is positive or negative then it might've worked. But it just doesn't fit with Riddick. You can't shoe horn in a religion based conquering race of undead into a story about a criminal being hunted by bounty hunters and expect them to gel. That's why chronicles seemed like 2 entirely separate film plots occasionally bumping into each other. The whole Riddick on crematoria and the bounty hunters occasionally meeting the necros as they conquer planets. It didn't work together and that's why it failed. I don't see why it didn't fit into the established universe. What's so hard to put in a larger than life story on top of the bounty hunters stalking him across the galaxy ? It wasn't hard to follow and tied everything together as well as delved into his Furyam race.

For whatever reason it failed probably due to the small fan basepf loyal Riddick fans who seemed to reject it as well as not geling with the general public.

I never cared for Pitch Black and just liked the Chronicles of Riddick.

juggerman
I also enjoyed Pitch Black more. They took a weird twist and it didn't really seem to fit. I like the idea of expanding the universe but i feel it could have been done better

jaden101
I don't see why it didn't fit into the established universe. What's so hard to put in a larger than life story on top of the bounty hunters stalking him across the galaxy ? It wasn't hard to follow and tied everything together as well as delved into his Furyam race.

For whatever reason it failed probably due to the small fan basepf loyal Riddick fans who seemed to reject it as well as not geling with the general public.

I never cared for Pitch Black and just liked the Chronicles of Riddick.

didn't 'delve' into his furyan race. It invented it. There was no mention of him being a furyan in pitch black because at that point he was just a man.

For me, Riddick was a better character when he was a cold, calculating badass who knew he could use the others to escape in pitch black and who best would hold his story of being killed on the planet. Chronicles turned him into an anti-hero and a much more generic and much less interesting character.

Robtard

For me, Riddick was a better character when he was a cold, calculating badass who knew he could use the others to escape in pitch black and who best would hold his story of being killed on the planet. Chronicles turned him into an anti-hero and a much more generic and much less interesting character.

Spot on thumb up

quanchi112
didn't 'delve' into his furyan race. It invented it. There was no mention of him being a furyan in pitch black because at that point he was just a man.

For me, Riddick was a better character when he was a cold, calculating badass who knew he could use the others to escape in pitch black and who best would hold his story of being killed on the planet. Chronicles turned him into an anti-hero and a much more generic and much less interesting character. Thats what I mean. We had no idea who Riddick really was and this covered the interesting Furyan background.

I disagree but then again I never really cared for the Riddick character and was more drawn into the grander scale of the second along with the Underverse.

0mega Spawn
He wasn't an anti hero in pith black? erm

jaden101
Originally posted by 0mega Spawn
He wasn't an anti hero in pith black? erm

No. He knew there was only 2 people in the group who wouldn't give him up if they escaped from the planet. He also knew there was only 2 people who would've claimed he'd died so others didn't come looking for him. He made sure the others died. He was a cold, bad bastard who did what he needed to do to survive. Chronicles was a complete change of his character. And not for the better.

Major_Lexington
well said Jaden, right on the money. thumb up

Esau Cairn
He made sure the others died. He was a cold, bad bastard who did what he needed to do to survive.

Really?
I think you should re-watch PB again & pay attention to how certain people died.

Mindset
What jaden said never happened.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Mindset
What jaden said never happened.

Spot on

Riddick is better off as the anti-hero

No, you misinterpreted my words. No, I don't care much for Riddick but I did like the idea of the Underverse. That was cool. You are always wrong.

but you are a bandwagon boi.....you basically said it yourself

and no we didn't misinterpreted your words.

jaden101
You kids these days. Wanting to make exciting characters boring and boring characters exciting. Shameful.

Kazenji
Being a anti-hero is boring

i guess the Punisher is also boring regardless of what various writers have done with him.

jaden101
O.k. Maybe cliched is more accurate. And therefor more boring. Proof is in the pudding. He was a much more interesting character in pitch black. Which is a much more character driven film.

quanchi112
Spot on

Riddick is better off as the anti-hero

but you are a bandwagon boi.....you basically said it yourself

and no we didn't misinterpreted your words. No, I was a fan of the expansive universe not the character Riddick. To see more expansive universe a film needs to make more money. That's the point.

quanchi112
No. He knew there was only 2 people in the group who wouldn't give him up if they escaped from the planet. He also knew there was only 2 people who would've claimed he'd died so others didn't come looking for him. He made sure the others died. He was a cold, bad bastard who did what he needed to do to survive. Chronicles was a complete change of his character. And not for the better. I disagree.

jaden101
I think necros aspect could work as a lower budget series like Space: Above and Beyond or Babylon 5. Only way I could see that mythology expanded. It'd need to be a cult show. But it won't happen...cos it's too shit and no-one liked it.

Robtard
Maybe as a musical show.

Major_Lexington
no musicals... they suck

quanchi112
I think necros aspect could work as a lower budget series like Space: Above and Beyond or Babylon 5. Only way I could see that mythology expanded. It'd need to be a cult show. But it won't happen...cos it's too shit and no-one liked it. I liked it so there goes your theory of no one liking it.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>