Violence/Do Video Games Corrupt?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Julie
I just did a report on this and I was wondering your thoughts concerning video games and the "negative" effects they can have on people.
Why do people complain about video game violence so much?
Do you think games like GTA3 are a bad influence? Are they acceptable or not?

BackFire349
they do not currupt, bad parents do.

Julie
what about a combo of both...

BackFire349
nope, video games have nothing to do with the violence in the real world. there were violence before video games, there will be violence after video games. the 2 things have absolutely nothing to do with eachother.

Julie
why do you think there is so much violence in "violent" video games?
DO you like Halo, GTA, star wars games....etc

BackFire349
well a game with violence will obviously be violent. yes i like halo and gta, not a big fan of star wars games however, on the othe rhand, i love zelda and mario and games with no violence at all. violence is in games like gta simply because games like that strive for realism, and if you're a real criminal stealing cars and what not. hten violence will be in the game.

BackFire349
also, in games like gta, you have lots of freedom, which is the main draw of that game, you can do WHATEVER you want, and if the player wants to buy a hooker then run her over, he can, the game doesnt force the player to do those things in that game, its the players choice. and as far as halo goes, its a shooting game, meaning things will get shot.

Julie
true....Halo's awesome...and I'm shocked that not everyone loves star wars games:-)
j/k
I never personally played GTA, but I heard a lot of neg stuff about it when doing my research.
ANyway, that stupid project is overwith now so yeahhh

BackFire349
the people who say negative things about gta are fools. gta is a great game with an amount of freedom that is completley mind blowing.

Julie
I see...I probably wouldn't agree, but since I haven't played it I shall reserve judgment....
as for other games....Halo is just cool ...except for that darn level where you fight all the crazzy little things that have heads and looks like spiders...* shudders*

BackFire349
no one can debate the FACT that GTA is a damn good game, regardless of its violence level or not.

Julie
whoa....down....
and BTW yes people can debate...it they do....and I don't think they have a thing against "goodness" of the game...they don't like the violence level...the immorality and such...
what about RPGS...aren't they just as freedom filled?

BackFire349
no they arent, most rpg's dont allow you to do whatever you want to whoever you want. and people who say a game is bad because of the violence know absolutely nothing about games or what makes them good. id actually love to see wha twould happen if the people who want to destroy all violent games got their wish, and all violent games were gone for a month, and the violence in the world didnt change at all, id be interested to see who or what they blame next.

Julie
I don't think that would ever happen...interesting thought though.
Some people aren't so much against "violence" some target immorality and such too

BackFire349
which is just as stupid.

Julie
I gather you disagree...from that lovely comment.
That's ok....in this instance I'll agree to disagree with you...

BackFire349
its silly to single out video games when movies and tv have just as much violence and immorality in them.

Julie
oh I'm sure people have enough to say about those too....you know they like to cover everything....if there aint anything to complain about...they must invent something to complain about

BackFire349
which is exactly what has happened, there is nothing logical to complain about so they decided that video games is the easiest target of blame.

Julie
well I wouldn't say the easiest......besides there are a relatively few people who devote large amounts of time to either critizing or defending video games

BackFire349
most people seem to have enough common sense to understand that video games have nothing to do with real violence

Julie
What are your thoughts on Soldier of Fortune and Duke Nukem?

BackFire349
soldier of fortun isnt a very good game, violence or no violence...duke nukem 3d was one of the most innovative games ever made and was the first game to involve humor and violence the way it did. i have no problem with either games violence or immorality level.

Julie
I see...I heard that soldier of fortune was too easy to be fun...

BackFire349
basically.

Julie
Yeah games that are too easy are really not enjoyable...then again ....impossible games give me headaches

BackFire349
yep, takes a very good balance to make a game good.

Tex
Video games corrupt only those who allow themselves to be corrupted!

BackFire349
in other words it corrupts those already mentally corrupted. which means it didnt corrupt them.

Tex
No, because you can corrupt the corruptable.
Duh!!! stick out tongue

BackFire349
well they're already corrupted.

Captain REX
The only thing video games do to me is stimulate my imagination and make me grumpy when I've been sucked in completely and my mom tells me to turn it off. big grin

The corruptable are people who can be corrupted. The corrupted are the people that are already corrupted, and they were corruptable. big grin

mah
video games are discriminated "oh, holy crap, BMX XXX has got titties in it! by golly, movies have only had that for ages, let's go mental"

Corran
I never used to foul or kick people when playing soccer until I found it fun to do so on the Computer games, now I just about kick everyone I play against, is that a corruption due to video games or just because I am getting older and slower?

BackFire349
no thats just having fun with the sport.

Julie
ha well...I don't think it's good sportsmanship, but mile corruption at best:-)

soleks
Ya, video games actually enhance brain activity. People who play video games will be able to see things that some people who dont play video games wont.

shojo_no_umi
Ive been playing video games since i was five years old. Even tho my vision is crap, I think my vision is pretty sharp cause of good old vid games. I dont think games currupt you, i think its the parents that dont tell the kids that it is just a game, and its not really real, no matter how real it seems.

thats a lot of reals! lol laughing

ragesRemorse
If a video game inspires you to steal, mureder, or anything else negative. Then you are nothing more than a week minded individual with an impressionable personality. If the video game hadnt inspired you to do somthing negative, somthing else would have. Video games arent corrupted, it's society and the individual.

shojo_no_umi
exactly. its the stupid people that shoot others, not the game.

plenTpak52
Its like saying loud and violent music causes people to be violent. Loud music just gives you a chance to channel your anger and emotion through other people's anger, which helps release that anger, in a way.

The only corruption video games have are pimples around your eyes. You can actually benefit from playing video games. You can increase your motor skills, memorization skills, your reflexes, and a bunch of other stuff. But say some kid DID want to go and shoot a bunch of people...Couldn't he channel that desire through the video game (GTA in this case)? I mean wouldn't he be relieved having the chance to actually start reeking havoc with a gun?

ragesRemorse
Video games deffaintly dont convince or persuade kids to do evil acts. The worst thing a video game is going to do is cause lazy ness. Im sick of all these fu*kin people saying video games and music corrupt. These same damn people trying to get these things out lawed. If your going to outlaw. Inspiring music that allows people to relate to and give them some kind of security in there life, or a video game that is the baby sitter when the mother is passed out on the couch from a heroine over dose. Why not outlaw bad, inept parenting. You know what i mean, the abusive,neglectfull parenting that later causes teens to go out and do drugs, and kill people. Why not outlaw or ban the dumbass fathers who have a gun of every kind laying around the house. Alot more importnat things need to be addressed before a video game that is simply a medium of fantasy. I dont know about you but when i play a couple hours of video games i;m not as pissed off as i was before i started. Sometimes i'm even calm after wards

Lag
Just because games teach us how to do stuff doesn't mean we're going to go out and do it. The Sims have been out for a while now and in that game I have a family and a job, that doesn't mean I'm going right out to get a job, but the U.S. Army seems to think I will. With games like SOCOM, Ghost Recon, and especially Full Spectrum Warrior coming out directly from the U.S. Army it seems like they think just because I now know how to flank some terrorist with Alpha and Bravo that I'm going to imediately join the Army. I'm fine with that though as long as they keep thinking it's doing something they'll keep putting out awsome war games.
One game I do have a problem with though is Ethnic Cleansing. EC was made for the soul purpose of teaching kids to hate and kill Jewish and other people. You run around the streets burning people. Which isn't much different than GTAIII except in Ethnic Cleansing you burn the people for who they are. I don't know how to get a copy of this game nor do I want to, but it seems like games can be used as a tool for teaching, right or wrong, but they still do nothing for motivation. Other than that games,for intelligent people, are a great way to esape and vent.

J_To_The_P
Nope, not at all, I've been playing games like Resident Evil since I was 11, and I'm damn fine, it all depends on the child's mind who plays them, if he or she is already a sick bastard, then there's trouble.

Broadsword20043
I agree with what some other people said, yes, violent games can cause some people to do violence, but if they do, those people are already mentally gone. The person is already screwed up. It's not like they're normal, then play GTA3, and are like, "Hmmm, I'm gonna go shoot some people today." Movies are just as violent. Hell, Scareface was out in the early 80's and in the beginning of that, Tony Montana and his brother are doing a drug deal. So anyhow, the drug deal goes bad, as in the opponent guys pulls out a bunch of guns and tie up Tony and his brother. The lead guy asks Tony for the drugs/money (one of them had the money, the other the drugs; I forget which each had though), so Tony says "F**k you." So the guy pulls out a chainsaw and asks again. Tony gives the same response. The guy fires up the chainsaw, and puts at the back of his brother's head, asking one more time. Same response. So he chainsaws Tony's brother's arms and legs off. Then he is about to do it to Tony, still getting Tony's response, when Tony's partner, who was waiting outside (and hadn't known what was happening) bursts in and saves him. And Scarface is one of the most famous movies of all time. Yet you don't see people out chainsawing left and right or anything like that!!! You have to already be mesed up if you're gonna be inspired enough by a game to go and kill people; at most, a sensible person would work towards becoming a professional assassin probably.

ragesRemorse
yeah but using scarface as NOT promoting negative actions is a bad example. I mean if there is any form of entertainment that has inspired people to sell drugs, It would have to be scarface

coolboarder98
I was wondering what you dudes thought of the controversial subject of violence in video games; should the ratings system be changed? What do you think should be done to raise awareness for non-gamers (ie. parents, governement officials, etc). I'm doing a project on this for my french class, so if you guys could take a quick second and write down your thhoughts, that would be greatly appreciated.

If you guys don't want to say anything here, just email me. My address is in my profile.

whitedragon
i don't think they do at all. i love voilent games they make me laugh. i like manhunt and gta etc. but that doesn't mean i want to go out and drown a granny! game voilence is good! its the parents that are bad. anyways i only use my gun in my own car and house, i aint hurtin no1. you can die from liver failure or stoppin of the heart, a small piece of metal aint the problem. ask a doctor its a medical fact! kill the bunny!!!!! devil bunny

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.