Odin/Thor vs Galactus

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

keiththegreat
Odin gets the Odinsword, the Destroyer Armour, and the norn stones. Thor is also on Odin's team.

vs

Galactus who just ate one planet.

No BFR

Rage.Of.Olympus
Odin summons Mjolnir and proceeds to beat the shit out of Galactus.

Horrificus
I'm torn. I honestly believe that Galactus belongs at the top of his tier, but they keep writing him into jelly! It really sucks.

And, anybody who can be honest, must admit that Odin has been written waaay above his original position. He is fast becoming "The Boss", like it or not. Odin is the "World Breaker Hulk" of the Skyfathers / Elder Gods.

I take the 5th.

Tar-Antado
Originally posted by Horrificus
I'm torn. I honestly believe that Galactus belongs at the top of his tier, but they keep writing him into jelly! It really sucks.

And, anybody who can be honest, must admit that Odin has been written waaay above his original position. He is fast becoming "The Boss", like it or not. Odin is the "World Breaker Hulk" of the Skyfathers / Elder Gods.

I take the 5th.

Not sure if serious.

Horrificus
Originally posted by Tar-Antado
Not sure if serious. which part?

Mourning the fact that Galactus gets treated poorly, with some sad showings?

Pointing out that Odin has VERY high-level feats, with some of them being above his tier?

Or that I don't want to get caught in the middle of this one?

In my opinion, Galactus SHOULD be walking around, kicking a$$es and taking names, on a constant, consistent basis.

But, quite often, that is not what happens. confused

Tar-Antado
which part?

Mourning the fact that Galactus gets treated poorly, with some sad showings?

Pointing out that Odin has VERY high-level feats, with some of them being above his tier?

Or that I don't want to get caught in the middle of this one?

In my opinion, Galactus SHOULD be walking around, kicking a$$es and taking names, on a constant, consistent basis.

But, quite often, that is not what happens. confused

Galactus hanging with Celestials and beating Odin isn't bad treatment. He's actually been treated well recently. Don't be sad.

Odin is not as he was in the silver age, so...

Horrificus
Galactus hanging with Celestials and beating Odin isn't bad treatment. He's actually been treated well recently. Don't be sad.

Odin is not as he was in the silver age, so... People think I am an Odin fan. I am actually more of a Galactus fan. Because of what he is, and the role he plays, there should be very few real threats to him.

As far as Odin goes, personally, I think he has feats and showings that place him above Skyfather level.

IMHO.

JakeTheBank
Just recently, Odin casually warped the destructive energies of Surtur, which would have destroyed the universe if left unchecked.

eaebiakuya
In theory Skyfather level should be in "galaxy destruction" level.

Galactus with no energy destroyed a galaxy. Galactus after 1 planet should be above a Skyfather.

In the Thor Annual, Galactus and two others entities was about to destroy the entire 616 universe.

But to be honest...im not sure if Odin should have power at universal scale, or Galactus at mutiversal scale...(destroy the entire multiverse ?)

Tar-Antado
People think I am an Odin fan. I am actually more of a Galactus fan. Because of what he is, and the role he plays, there should be very few real threats to him.

As far as Odin goes, personally, I think he has feats and showings that place him above Skyfather level.

IMHO.

It's actually a good time to be a Galactus fan. He's outlasted just about every flavor of the month character who's supposed to be more powerful than him.

Beyonder - retconned
Odin - beat him
Celestials - portrayed as more powerful than one
Chaos King - forgotten

I reckon this trend will continue.

TheGodKiller
Galactus wins.

Naija boy
Galactus wins

Mshinu
Big Purple Pimp Hand > Greybeard and his toys

Rage.Of.Olympus
You guys seriously believe that Galactus would have beaten Odin in their fight if he was armed with Ragnarok, the Destroyer and Mjolnir?

Jesus. Well, whatever, agree to disagree I guess.

curryman
It's a hard fight every time but I don't see any wins going Odin's way.

TheGodKiller
Ragnarok: Melted.
Destroyer: Slagged.
Mjolnir: Crushed.

zopzop
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
You guys seriously believe that Galactus would have beaten Odin in their fight if he was armed with Ragnarok, the Destroyer and Mjolnir?

Jesus. Well, whatever, agree to disagree I guess.
The 2000ft Destroyer with the Odin Sword couldn't do anything to a Celestial and Thor was of ZERO help. This event was referenced as late as 2007-2008 during Secret/Sacred Invasion so it's still valid.

Galactus has recently been shown to be AT LEAST the equal of a Celestial when fed off one world.

So what chance does just Odin in the DA have with Thor as backup if Galactus is fed? None.
Originally posted by TheGodKiller
Basically this.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by zopzop
The 2000ft Destroyer with the Odin Sword couldn't do anything to a Celestial and Thor was of ZERO help. This event was referenced as late as 2007-2008 during Secret/Sacred Invasion so it's still valid.

Galactus has recently been shown to be AT LEAST the equal of a Celestial when fed off one world.

So what chance does just Odin in the DA have with Thor as backup if Galactus is fed? None.

Well, we recently saw Odin fight a fed Galactus, and while the World Eater ultimately was the last man standing, Odin was definitely on the same level of power.

The Celestial arc while pivotal, is not the only bit of evidence we have to compare these two. Not to mention at the time the Celestials were above any Cosmic, that was their high point.

Alright, sure. Odin gets stomped. That's clearly what would have happened if Galactus had continued to fight Odin when he entered the Destroyer. I'm not going to waste time on you if you aren't going to be reasonable unless it's a battle zone. Agree to disagree, carry on.

TheGodKiller
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
I'm not going to waste time on you if you aren't going to be reasonable unless it's a battle zone.
I'd be game. Any stips you have in mind?

Sundipped

thumb up
Sword gets dislodged again too.

TheLordofMurder

I take the 5th.

thumb up

Although he originally was "The Boss," that was fixed, but now the Odin-Lust is returning stronger than ever and once again, he's turning back into the "The Boss."

TheGodKiller
I don't know about that. Odin was getting some pretty heavy feats even back in the 90s then.

As far as I see, the status quo regarding the All-Father has remained pretty much the same since the Silver Age days.

curryman
I don't know about that. Odin was getting some pretty heavy feats even back in the 90s then.

As far as I see, the status quo regarding the All-Father has remained pretty much the same since the Silver Age days.

Indeed.

Odin's always been getting great feats and if anything he's been taken down a notch.

Only thing is, Galactus has greater feats still smile

TheGodKiller
^I wouldn't say that he's been taken down a notch. Except for the Celestials fight maybe, but it's neither here nor there.

Damborgson
Your threads are something Kieth.

"Odin with the Odinsword, destroyer, norns, vs Galactus who's just fed...oh and Odin gets Thor too I guess."

Raisen
Why are all the fanboys up in roar that Galactus, a single being who serves a universal role, should be beating up a mortal skyfather who is one amongst hundreds? Odin doesn't serve much of a purpose and shouldn't be as powerful as Galactus anyway

psycho gundam
father and son, imo

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Raisen
Why are all the fanboys up in roar that Galactus, a single being who serves a universal role, should be beating up a mortal skyfather who is one amongst hundreds? Odin doesn't serve much of a purpose and shouldn't be as powerful as Galactus anyway

He has feats under his own power that rival some of Galactus', though.

I certainly think that Galactus is both more powerful than Odin and more "important" than he is, but I never felt that Galactus' stature in the universe should always dictate his power level. To that end, I think Odin could give Galactus a fight (which he did, imo, even if said fight was going to inevitably go to Galactus by the end, anyway)

Giving him (Odin) the Destroyer Armor and a universal scale weapon helps to close that gap.

what would thor contribute to his team?

Galactus wins, it will be a fight, unlike their last encounter.

psycho gundam
thor could sit back and charge his best god blast or repeatedly throw mjolnir as hard as possible at him while odin (provided with his best offensive and defensive weapons) does all the hard work.

edit* maybe galactus is waaay more powerful and it is truly impossible, but it's not a total blowout

leonidas
Originally posted by psycho gundam
thor could sit back and charge his best god blast or repeatedly throw mjolnir as hard as possible at him while odin (provided with his best offensive and defensive weapons) does all the hard work.

edit* maybe galactus is waaay more powerful and it is truly impossible, but it's not a total blowout

it would depend entirely on g's level. at the level he was at during the odin fight, i'm completely with you (and rage)--team would take him out. look at the damage thor did with just a single strike in the recent battle. a godblast while g was in tp battle may have been enough to really tip the scales even earlier than they were tipped in that arc.

they were tipped? in odin's favor?

edit: all I saw thor do was crack G's helmet and get picked up by SS while stunned. people always say he busted through G's head, but the art doesnt really show that. G's scream could have been motivated by his tp battle with odin.

TheGodKiller
thor could sit back and charge his best god blast
Already happened in the Thor Annual. The GB being amped by 2 other heralds in this case. No physical effect. None whatsoever.

The rest of your post is merely rehashing of the same points we've heard before in this debate countless times, so not going to bother addressing it.

Tar-Antado
Originally posted by 753
they were tipped? in odin's favor?

Well, yeah. Didn't you see Galactus in agony from Odin's snoring?

Dampyre
Galactus wins. The guys just stalemated the Other and Scrier by himself. That's more than Odin and Thor bring to the table. I will say that hoping into the Destroyer is the only way Odin stands any sort of chance against Galactus.

psycho gundam
Already happened in the Thor Annual. The GB being amped by 2 other heralds in this case. No physical effect. None whatsoever. scans?

TheGodKiller
scans?
http://oi48.tinypic.com/169m5ps.jpg
http://oi45.tinypic.com/o6mmph.jpg

Damborgson
scans?

There has never been a godblast that looked like that. Some lightning maybe, but it's always been a direct beam of power shot from Mjolnir. Not a spread out lightning blast like that one. It's ballsy to call it a G-blast, and there isn't enough proof to call it one in my opinion.

Had it been one, so be it. But it's fairly clear that it wasn't.

leonidas
nor was it "aimed" at anyone in particular, but rather sent outwards to all 3.

psycho gundam
looks more like super lightning, however the narration does sound like a god blast *shrugs*

eaebiakuya
Channeling own energy to the Mjolnir = Godblast.

And guys, those 3 entities were going to destroy the entire Multiverse. Would make no sense a Godblast do any damage at all. Getting they atenttion is a big feat.

the captions sure sound like a godblast

TheGodKiller
Originally posted by Damborgson

There has never been a godblast that looked like that. Some lightning maybe, but it's always been a direct beam of power shot from Mjolnir. Not a spread out lightning blast like that one. It's ballsy to call it a G-blast, and there isn't enough proof to call it one in my opinion.

The very first GB that Thor fired on Galactus on-panel was also illustrated as a combination of lightning and force waves. Plus, even though the wording is somewhat different here, as instead of life-force, we have "body,mind,spirit" used along with "all that they are" which can also easily include Thor's godly life-energies. The difference in the wording can also be attributed to it being narrated by Oblivion, so again the point becomes moot.

Imo, there was enough evidence to showcase that this attack was a Godblast. However, seeing how we've had a heated version of this argument on youtube before, to each his own.
Originally posted by leonidas
nor was it "aimed" at anyone in particular, but rather sent outwards to all 3.
It was shot at all 3. I fail to see how it hitting all 3 of them takes it away from him tanking it, unless you think that there is something called "shared tanking" as well. laughing out loud

Damborgson
The very first GB that Thor used against Galactus on-panel was also illustrated as a combination of lightning and force waves. Plus, even though the wording is somewhat different here, as instead of life-force, we have "body,mind,spirit" used along with "all that they are" which can also easily include Thor's godly life-energies. The difference in the wording can also be attributed to it being narrated by Oblivion, so again the point becomes moot.

Imo, there was enough evidence to showcase that this attack was a Godblast. However, seeing how we've had a heated version of this argument on youtube before, to each his own

I had not considered that actually

They're similar, similar enough to where I can get what you're coming from, but there is still a difference. aside from the initial lightning to charge, Mjolnir still shot out an energy blast, and not a lightning blast like in the scans. It shout out "bludgeoning force waves" and the form they had was distinct from lightning even with the not so great art of the time.

Thor's put everything he's had into attacks before, lightning blasts no less, without them being considered godblasts.

Hmm. It'd probably be for the better in the end. I respect your opinion about it though thumb up

TheGodKiller
I had not considered that actually

They're similar, similar enough to where I can get what you're coming from, but there is still a difference. aside from the initial lightning to charge, Mjolnir still shot out an energy blast, and not a lightning blast like in the scans. It shout out "bludgeoning force waves" and the form they had was distinct from lightning even with the not so great art of the time.

Thor's put everything he's had into attacks before, lightning blasts no less, without them being considered godblasts.

Hmm. It'd probably be for the better in the end. I respect your opinion about it though thumb up
That depends on whether you can consider lightning blasts and energy blasts as the same thing due the art under which they were all drawn. For example, the blasts from the 3 Abstracts in the very first panel of the first scan both you and I posted clearly seem like lightning blasts, yet it's rare for an Abstract Beings like these to use "lightning" as a weapon. Another example, Galactus' eye beams were illustratively portrayed as purple lightning, but we don't automatically assume that it means that it was only lightning because it's not specified to be so on-panel.

Ah, but this particular attack was being assisted in by Surfer and Rachel as well, and I am fairly sure that it is not regular for them to throw out lightning barrages randomly like that.

I am 100% sure that it's a Godblast as of now. You actually had me convinced with these points of yours before on youtube....until I met Bran.

leonidas
The very first GB that Thor fired on Galactus on-panel was also illustrated as a combination of lightning and force waves. Plus, even though the wording is somewhat different here, as instead of life-force, we have "body,mind,spirit" used along with "all that they are" which can also easily include Thor's godly life-energies. The difference in the wording can also be attributed to it being narrated by Oblivion, so again the point becomes moot.

Imo, there was enough evidence to showcase that this attack was a Godblast. However, seeing how we've had a heated version of this argument on youtube before, to each his own.

It was shot at all 3. I fail to see how it hitting all 3 of them takes it away from him tanking it, unless you think that there is something called "shared tanking" as well. laughing out loud

confused

they shot it at all of them. 3 abstract level guys shared the blast. was it focused on one? it was an aoe attack. that's much different from a fully focused blast. that....shouldn't really need to be said. no expression

TheGodKiller
confused

they shot it at all of them. 3 abstract level guys shared the blast. was it focused on one? it was an aoe attack. that's much different from a fully focused blast. that....shouldn't really need to be said. no expression
All of them bore the brunt of the blast. All 3 of them tanked it point blank. Sorry , but this idea of "shared tanking" just sounds plain ridiculous. That shouldn't really be need to be said. Not to mention that it was amped by Surfer and Rachel as well.

leonidas
All of them bore the brunt of the blast. All 3 of them tanked it point blank. Sorry , but this idea of "shared tanking" just sounds plain ridiculous. That shouldn't really be need to be said.

it's not really shared, but nor was it focused on anyone. do you think taking a focused blast=taking an aoe attack not aimed at anyone but aimed to get everyone's attention?

psycho gundam
All of them bore the brunt of the blast. All 3 of them tanked it point blank. Sorry , but this idea of "shared tanking" just sounds plain ridiculous. That shouldn't really be need to be said. Not to mention that it was amped by Surfer and Rachel as well. leo means that galactus took 1/3 of that blast, 1/3 of what actually hit the targets

leonidas
leo means that galactus took 1/3 of that blast.

umm, is that somehow debateable......?

TheGodKiller
leo means that galactus took 1/3 of that blast.
Shared tanking.

Branlor Swift
If the other 2 weren't there, then the blast that hit them would have hit... space.

The blast wasn't wasted this way, and it wrapped around all of them. It's not like it dissipated after hitting someone.

Galactus wasn't hungry this time. Galactus wasn't unshielded while engaging in a TP fight. Galactus was directly in battle mode, and an amped G-Blast did shit.
As it should be.

vince_slice
Even if Galactus took 1/3 the GB, it was a GB amped by two other heralds, so it evens out.

TheGodKiller
umm, is that somehow debateable......?
3xAmped Godblast. smile

Even going by your logic, Galactus still tanked a Godblast.

leonidas
seriously.....? this can't be serious....

a set amount of energy was released. g absorbed some, other absorbed some and scrier absorbed some. lots was simply scattered outwards.

and you somehow forgot to answer my question.....

leonidas
3xAmped Godblast. smile

Even going by your logic, Galactus still tanked a Godblast.

only if you assume they can output the equivalent to the godblast. smile extremely doubtful imo.

TheGodKiller
it's not really shared, but nor was it focused on anyone. do you think taking a focused blast=taking an aoe attack not aimed at anyone but aimed to get everyone's attention?
Except for the part where it was focused on the 3 mad Abstracts? It hit all 3 of them from a few feet away, without any of them getting any shielding whatsoever, and it was potent enough that being aoe would hardly reduce its effectiveness.

Branlor Swift
Also, the blast exploded directly after.

Like seriously.

leonidas
okey dokey then.

TheGodKiller
only if you assume they can output the equivalent to the godblast. smile extremely doubtful imo.
They were portrayed as peers on a spiritual and metaphysical level. Nobody disputes that physically Thor was the mightiest of the 3, but the Godblast is an attack fueled by everything they were.

TheGodKiller
Originally posted by Branlor Swift
Also, the blast exploded directly after.

Like seriously.
This too.

leonidas
They were portrayed as peers on a spiritual and metaphysical level. Nobody disputes that physically Thor was the mightiest of the 3, but the Godblast is an attack fueled by everything they were.

that's fair enough. i disagree completely that if that blast were focused in its entirety upon g or any of the others that the effect would have been the same. again, a very specific amount of energy was released, said energy was absorbed by 3 abstract level entities, not one. not sure how you can't see what a massive difference that is, but....whatever. we seem to disagree a lot lately, so, meh.

Tar-Antado
As Brevoort said, reasonably fed the same result can be expected as when Odin Destroyer faced the Celestials. Just fed on 1 nice planet is reasonably-fed I think.

psycho gundam
If the other 2 weren't there, then the blast that hit them would have hit... space.

The blast wasn't wasted this way, and it wrapped around all of them. It's not like it dissipated after hitting someone.

Galactus wasn't hungry this time. Galactus wasn't unshielded while engaging in a TP fight. Galactus was directly in battle mode, and an amped G-Blast did shit.
As it should be. the fact that it's a focused is the point of a god blast. if it is or isn't one is not the point anymore, but saying it doesn't matter if most of the attack missed galactus doesn't meant it would be the same if everything went right at him like the god blasts of decades past.

TheGodKiller
that's fair enough. i disagree completely that if that blast were focused in its entirety upon g or any of the others that the effect would have been the same. again, a very specific amount of energy was released, said energy was absorbed by 3 abstract level entities, not one. not sure how you can't see what a massive difference that it, but....whatever. we seem to disagree a lot lately, so, meh.
But it was pretty much focused in its entirety against Galactus. Or did you not see the panel in which he's standing at the epicentre of the blast? Based on the angle at which the art is drawn it sure looks that way at least. That energy was shown focused on the 3 Abstracts alone, with a bog boomboom occurring in its aftermath which koed the (forcefield shielded)heralds. Galactus tanked that blast straight up without so much so as a lasting scratch.

leonidas
As Brevoort said, reasonably fed the same result can be expected as when Odin Destroyer faced the Celestials. Just fed on 1 nice planet is reasonably-fed I think.

really? that's interesting, actually. where did he say that?

Branlor Swift
that's fair enough. i disagree completely that if that blast were focused in its entirety upon g or any of the others that the effect would have been the same. again, a very specific amount of energy was released, said energy was absorbed by 3 abstract level entities, not one. not sure how you can't see what a massive difference that is, but....whatever. we seem to disagree a lot lately, so, meh. The blast wasn't shown to be dissipating after hitting one being. It was a steady stream of lightning that wrapped completely around what it hit.
Had the others not been there, it looks like it would have been wasted.
Is it going to wrap even more around just one being? No one was in the way to shield one another, they were just there. It'd be like downplaying Superman somehow surviving after taking a nuke because say superior beings like Black Adam and Billy also took the nuke with the same distance apart and no shielding from it.

And then it blew up.

psycho gundam
nope ^

leonidas

@gk: are you talking about this scan? because the other appears to be pretty much right beside him, and hella bigger which would mean he was the one likely to take more of the blast. not sure where you're seeing the epi-center...

TheGodKiller
That's the first I have heard of, and I keep track of these things. He did attribute the seeming discrepancies between Odin and Galactus' respective performances against the Celestials, to Galactus' 4-planet-food-fest. Somewhat like Hickman.

TheGodKiller
@gk: are you talking about this scan? because the other appears to be pretty much right beside him, and hella bigger which would mean he was the one likely to take more of the blast. not sure where you're seeing the epi-center...
I also mentioned the angle at which the heralds were facing the Abstracts and at which the blast was fired. Based on that it pretty much looks like Galactus took the brunt of it.

Tar-Antado

Formspring.

Edit: Just for context and I am paraphrasing as Formspring doesn't have an archive feature as such. A poster (presumably an Odin fan) was incredulous about the results of the Galactus vs Odin and Celesitials fights and asked how Galactus would do in place of the Celestials in Thor #300. He said reasonably fed, same result. Reasonably fed is up for discussion but I don't think that's the same as extremely fed. Just imo.

Branlor Swift
the fact that it's a focused is the point of a god blast. if it is or isn't one is not the point anymore, but saying it doesn't matter if most of the attack missed galactus doesn't meant it would be the same if everything went right at him like the god blasts of decades past. I agree, it was focused in one big direction, and everything did go at Galactus (and surrounding others).

Like this God Blast:

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Thor%20Mjolnir/ThorMjolnir52-Godblast161.jpg

except this one wasn't amped, nor did it blow up at the end.

leonidas
The blast wasn't shown to be dissipating after hitting one being. It was a steady stream of lightning that wrapped completely around what it hit.
Had the others not been there, it looks like it would have been wasted.
Is it going to wrap even more around just one being? No one was in the way to shield one another, they were just there. It'd be like downplaying Superman somehow surviving after taking a nuke because say superior beings like Black Adam and Billy also took the nuke with the same distance apart and no shielding from it.

And then it blew up.

well, if there weren't 3 of them, the attack would have been directed at....just one? confused and do you think if it were focused (and i've really never seen a gb WRAP around anyone before) it would be more damaging? ie--all that lightning and power were aimed at JUST one of them it would have been more damaging? if not, then....shrug

psycho gundam
i don't see any wasted energy at all. galactus is totally enveloped by the totality of the output.

another:

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Thor%20Fights/ThorvsCelestials16.jpg

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Thor%20Fights/ThorvsThanos01v222.jpg

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Thor%20Mjolnir/ThorMjolnir153a-Godblast412.jpg

TheGodKiller
Formspring has been shut down anyways. If people still want to ask Brevoort questions, go to tumblr instead.

leonidas
I also mentioned the angle at which the heralds were facing the Abstracts and at which the blast was fired. Based on that it pretty much looks like Galactus took the brunt of it.

honestly, we just....really don't see things the same i guess. to me, it looks like g is engaging the other, and the heralds are about even with the other or maybe behind him. either way, the other appears to tank at least as much to me. i'm also not really convinced the lightning did anything in particular. the explosion after seems to be the thing, but again, that energy was absorbed by all 3. and its not like these were insignificant beings.....to me it's pretty simple--were all the energy directed at a single entity, it would have been more effective. HOW effective? i don't know. enough to drop one of them? certainly not, as that g was clearly pretty strong and he would tank even that blast. but how it can be argued that the blast would have been more effective i simply don't understand....

leonidas
Formspring has been shut down anyways. If people still want to ask Brevoort questions, go to tumblr instead.

cool, thanks. have you got a copy of the post or a link or anything? sounds like an interview i'd be interested in reading.

leonidas
That's the first I have heard of, and I keep track of these things. He did attribute the seeming discrepancies between Odin and Galactus' respective performances against the Celestials, to Galactus' 4-planet-food-fest. Somewhat like Hickman.

well, that obviously makes sense to me, but the other interview sounds like it's saying something different. wish i could read it to see what was actually said.

Damborgson
That depends on whether you can consider lightning blasts and energy blasts as the same thing due the art under which they were all drawn. For example, the blasts from the 3 Abstracts in the very first panel of the first scan both you and I posted clearly seem like lightning blasts, yet it's rare for an Abstract Beings like these to use "lightning" as a weapon. Another example, Galactus' eye beams were illustratively portrayed as purple lightning, but we don't automatically assume that it means that it was only lightning because it's not specified to be so on-panel.

Ah, but this particular attack was being assisted in by Surfer and Rachel as well, and I am fairly sure that it is not regular for them to throw out lightning barrages randomly like that.

I am 100% sure that it's a Godblast as of now. You actually had me convinced with these points of yours before on youtube....until I met Bran.

You can't, considering one was called energy and the other was shown as lightning. It's true, those didn't look like standard blasts from Galactus, he doesn't go all Sith Lord from what I remember, but it's not really comparable to Thor using lightning. Thor is the lightning. It's his go to power. And Galactus demonstrating some added versatility to his power, is still not comparable to Thor straight up changing the basic nature of godblast to lightning instead of energy. They're completely different attacks. The closest you have to the pseudo godblast before, is the original godblast which came out as more of a wave than a direct beam like it typically is. But it was still raw energy, not lightning. Which is the killer for the godblast theory imo.

They were giving their power to channel through Mjolnir. It's a little ambiguous, but what else would come out of Mjolnir if Thor was planning on using some super lightning? Lightning of course. And it did.

I'm fairly certain it's not. Just to many if's and's or but's to make it a dead certain godblast.

psycho gundam
wrong scan from before. i meant this one

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Thor%20Fights/ThorvsDarkGods04.jpg

leonidas
You can't, considering one was called energy and the other was shown as lightning. It's true, those didn't look like standard blasts from Galactus, he doesn't go all Sith Lord from what I remember, but it's not really comparable to Thor using lightning. Thor is the lightning. It's his go to power. And Galactus demonstrating some added versatility to his power, is still not comparable to Thor straight up changing the basic nature of godblast to lightning instead of energy. They're completely different attacks. The closest you have to the pseudo godblast before, is the original godblast which came out as more of a wave than a direct beam like it typically is. But it was still raw energy, not lightning. Which is the killer for the godblast theory imo.

They were giving their power to channel through Mjolnir. It's a little ambiguous, but what else would come out of Mjolnir if Thor was planning on using some super lightning? Lightning of course. And it did.

I'm fairly certain it's not. Just to many if's and's or but's to make it a dead certain godblast.

imo it was likely an amped gb. but we've seen the gb be....less than spectacular so even amped, it really isn't surprising these guys took it. my point is that a focused blast would have been more effective is all.

TheGodKiller
honestly, we just....really don't see things the same i guess. to me, it looks like g is engaging the other, and the heralds are about even with the other or maybe behind him. either way, the other appears to tank at least as much to me. i'm also not really convinced the lightning did anything in particular. the explosion after seems to be the thing, but again, that energy was absorbed by all 3. and its not like these were insignificant beings.....to me it's pretty simple--were all the energy directed at a single entity, it would have been more effective. HOW effective? i don't know. enough to drop one of them? certainly not, as that g was clearly pretty strong and he would tank even that blast. but how it can be argued that the blast would have been more effective i simply don't understand....
I am not going to waste my time addressing this pointless speculation of yours only to get a lame rebuke later on that it's just my opinion or some such sh1t like that.

Suffice to say that this however:
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/9696/thorannual037.jpg
shows us the angle at which the heralds are positioned with respect to the Abstracts, and Galactus is directly in its line of fire. Make of that what you will, but its pretty clear to me based on the on-panel illustrative that Galactus took the brunt of that attack.

Tar-Antado
well, that obviously makes sense to me, but the other interview sounds like it's saying something different. wish i could read it to see what was actually said.

Yeah, sorry I don't have the exact quote but I am confident what I wrote was close enough. I didn't exaggerate, promise.

Branlor Swift
well, if there weren't 3 of them, the attack would have been directed at....just one? confused and do you think if it were focused (and i've really never seen a gb WRAP around anyone before) it would be more damaging? ie--all that lightning and power were aimed at JUST one of them it would have been more damaging? if not, then....shrug why would it?
It wasn't a single beam, it was a big ass all encompassing blast.

The GB wrapped around Galactus in its first appearance

If it were aimed at just one in the same manner, why are we led to believe it would hit more than it did? Which according to the art was everything in its path.

The lightning would have left even more untouched and would have lasted longer or something?

And then would have exploded 3 times as hard?

Galactus should have stated that he's thankful Scrier and Other were there so he didn't get destroyed by it as opposed to get tickled by it

TheGodKiller

But I can, when one considers that it was not mentioned to be his lightning, that 2 other heralds were assisting him as well in firing that blast, and that the "lightning" barrage can simply be seen as more defined energy shockwaves due to the quality of the art used here. I doubt how it can be a killer, since Oblivion's narrative, despite the slight differences in wording clearly made it sound like a Godblast.

That would presuppose that Thor literally screamed out that he was going to use lightning, which I am sure is not the case here. As it so happens, they were feeling the fabric of creation getting torn asunder by the Abstracts' battle, so I am not sure they wouldn't try to end the madness using the ultimate attack.

K then. I already told you to each his own.

TheGodKiller
Are you talking about the 4 planet food fest thingy? If you are, here's the link:

http://www.formspring.me/TomBrevoort/q/297567371181172273

leo's point is none of them took all of the energy unleashed, only whatever portion hit them directly. makes sense. doesnt change a thing here.

Branlor Swift
i don't see any wasted energy at all. galactus is totally enveloped by the totality of the output.

another:

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Thor%20Fights/ThorvsCelestials16.jpg

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Thor%20Fights/ThorvsThanos01v222.jpg

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Thor%20Mjolnir/ThorMjolnir153a-Godblast412.jpg funny thing is you just showed two scans where Juggernaut and a Thanos clone completely tanked it
Game changer in this thread

But anyway, there's lightning shooting off in two very far off ways, but disregarding that, I'm saying the G-blast that hit The trio was focused on the trio. If it was the same type, it would have been wasted (although again, it blew up). If it only hit Galactus like it engulfed the trio, then it would have been the exact same thing. It's not an aoe from a game

Tar-Antado
Are you talking about the 4 planet food fest thingy? If you are, here's the link:

A couple of follow up posts after that is where Brevoort addressed the stuff with the Galactus vis as vis Celestials in Thor 300.

TheGodKiller
I have read those "couple of" follow up posts, and I didn't notice any such question answered by him.

Post the link, or at least try to paraphrase it if you're sure of it.

zopzop

thumb up

eaebiakuya
The problem is Odin dont was close to Galactus in that battle...

did odin draw nearly even with galactus to begin with? IMO he wasnt protrayed as being close to G at all.

Branlor Swift
Originally posted by 753
did odin draw nearly even with galactus to begin with? IMO he wasnt protrayed as being close to G at all. he just launched himself at Galactus and Galactus is like "duh I'll just stand here and not protect myself at all" and took himself completely out of the battle physically

Tar-Antado
I have read those "couple of" follow up posts, and I didn't notice any such question answered by him.

Post the link, or at least try to paraphrase it if you're sure of it.

Will look for it.

he just launched himself at Galactus and Galactus is like "duh I'll just stand here and not protect myself at all" and took himself completely out of the battle physically thumb up G won by tanking an attack that crippled odin. I see nothing wrong with G being superior to celestials when well fed.

ODG
he just launched himself at Galactus and Galactus is like "duh I'll just stand here and not protect myself at all" and took himself completely out of the battle physically Re: Galactus just standing there, seems less like PIS and more like CIS. I think it's reasonable to believe that Galactus underestimated the Asgardians.

Sundipped
Formspring.

Edit: Just for context and I am paraphrasing as Formspring doesn't have an archive feature as such. A poster (presumably an Odin fan) was incredulous about the results of the Galactus vs Odin and Celesitials fights and asked how Galactus would do in place of the Celestials in Thor #300. He said reasonably fed, same result. Reasonably fed is up for discussion but I don't think that's the same as extremely fed. Just imo.

thumb up I can dig it.
One good planet should equate to reasonably fed.

Branlor Swift
Originally posted by ODG
Re: Galactus just standing there, seems less like PIS and more like CIS. I think it's reasonable to believe that Galactus underestimated the Asgardians. I'm just saying it was retarded

leonidas
I am not going to waste my time addressing this pointless speculation of yours only to get a lame rebuke later on that it's just my opinion or some such sh1t like that.

Suffice to say that this however:
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/9696/thorannual037.jpg
shows us the angle at which the heralds are positioned with respect to the Abstracts, and Galactus is directly in its line of fire. Make of that what you will, but its pretty clear to me based on the on-panel illustrative that Galactus took the brunt of that attack.

lol

lame rebuke? how you can actually look at that and say that a part of the other is NOT between g and the heralds i have utterly no idea. the other's tentacle is stretching into the foreground. and how the hell you can POSSIBLY suggest g took the "brunt" of it, i have no clue, as there is apparently NO affect on ANY of them by the lightning. but sure, no rebuke. your facts are clearly in order. thumb up

leonidas
why would it?
It wasn't a single beam, it was a big ass all encompassing blast.

The GB wrapped around Galactus in its first appearance

If it were aimed at just one in the same manner, why are we led to believe it would hit more than it did? Which according to the art was everything in its path.

The lightning would have left even more untouched and would have lasted longer or something?

And then would have exploded 3 times as hard?

Galactus should have stated that he's thankful Scrier and Other were there so he didn't get destroyed by it as opposed to get tickled by it

why would it? because it is a set amount of energy now being dispersed over a wider area among more beings--uber high level beings.....

it did wrap g, but all the energy was AT him. i'm...honestly not sure what's not to get. but yeah, your last point is clearly what i've been saying. no expression

eaebiakuya
funny thing is you just showed two scans where Juggernaut and a Thanos clone completely tanked it
Game changer in this thread

But anyway, there's lightning shooting off in two very far off ways, but disregarding that, I'm saying the G-blast that hit The trio was focused on the trio. If it was the same type, it would have been wasted (although again, it blew up). If it only hit Galactus like it engulfed the trio, then it would have been the exact same thing. It's not an aoe from a game

against Thanos it was not a Godblast.

Against Juggernaut, Thor was weakened.

Branlor Swift
why would it? because it is a set amount of energy now being dispersed over a wider area among more beings--uber high level beings.....

it did wrap g, but all the energy was AT him. i'm...honestly not sure what's not to get. but yeah, your last point is clearly what i've been saying. no expression and how much more should it be hitting him? It was a short semi continuous blast that blew up. There's not much room for it to do more

It's speculation based on art with virtually no support from any where else. I could see if this was DC Universe and you were an electric DPS, but even then the damage doesn't split at 3. I think it's 5 when it starts splitting...

Hell, might as well start speculating that the only energy that hit the others were because it bounced off Galactus

There's also the fact that the 3 expended so much power into the GB that they KOed themselves too... But yeah

Branlor Swift
Originally posted by eaebiakuya
against Thanos it was not a Godblast.

Against Juggernaut, Thor was weakened. I didn't say it was. The guy who posted it did

And against Galactus he was using two other life forces.

Bad examples

eaebiakuya
I agree with you in the Galactus thing.

Damborgson
But I can, when one considers that it was not mentioned to be his lightning, that 2 other heralds were assisting him as well in firing that blast, and that the "lightning" barrage can simply be seen as more defined energy shockwaves due to the quality of the art used here. I doubt how it can be a killer, since Oblivion's narrative, despite the slight differences in wording clearly made it sound like a Godblast.

That would presuppose that Thor literally screamed out that he was going to use lightning, which I am sure is not the case here. As it so happens, they were feeling the fabric of creation getting torn asunder by the Abstracts' battle, so I am not sure they wouldn't try to end the madness using the ultimate attack.

K then. I already told you to each his own.

Well sure you can, but it's...not necessarily smart. That is some heavy reaching dude. Mjolnir, wielded by the god of thunder, and it's improbable to you that it's his lightning? That doesn't sound probable at all.

The artwork is clear enough even in the old comic, as well as bringing a description of the energy, and the art in the annual most certainly didn't leave it ambiguous that it was lightning and nothing else. It made it sound like they were going all out, putting everything they had into the blast. Not necessarily the godblast imo.

That's not really how it tends to work in Thor's case though. He's used the godblast on much much more minor threats (juggernaut), and not used it on greater threats (Demigorge, PF, Serpent, Mephisto, Surtur, etc) so while it'd make sense for him to use it, he wouldn't necessarily do it, and it's pretty clear he didn't.

Ok, if we're not going to convince the other it's probably for the best. Later.

JakeTheBank
Judging from the art and dialogue, I'm inclined to think it wasn't a godblast. Definitely doesn't appear to be so when you compare it to all the previous godblasts which have happened.

However, I do think it was much more than mere lightning. Seemed to be a Hail Mary sort of "Soul Lightning" gimmick attack.

vince_slice
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Judging from the art and dialogue, I'm inclined to think it wasn't a godblast. Definitely doesn't appear to be so when you compare it to all the previous godblasts which have happened.

However, I do think it was much more than mere lightning. Seemed to be a Hail Mary sort of "Soul Lightning" gimmick attack.
What part of the dialogue makes you think it wasn't the GB?

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by vince_slice
What part of the dialogue makes you think it wasn't the GB?

Well, nothing about the Godblast has ever shown that it was possible to absorb the energy of others to cojoin with the Thor to "amp" the Godblast. Mjolnir's absorbed energy before and has even used a "Spirit Bomb" of sorts when it collected the energy of Asgardians to fuel an attack, but a Godblast?

It points to it being a powerful attack that transcends the elemental and physical, I'll give you that, but I don't think it was a Godblast.

vince_slice
Well, nothing about the Godblast has ever shown that it was possible to absorb the energy of others to cojoin with the Thor to "amp" the Godblast. Mjolnir's absorbed energy before and has even used a "Spirit Bomb" of sorts when it collected the energy of Asgardians to fuel an attack, but a Godblast?

It points to it being a powerful attack that transcends the elemental and physical, I'll give you that, but I don't think it was a Godblast.

It might not have been shown in the past because Thor rarely uses the GB, let a lone with other heralds. But, just because he hasn't doesn't mean its impossible.

Let's compare quotes from his previous god blasts with his most current one:

"all that they are--body and mind, emotion and spirit--entwine, fuse, erupt--channelled through the asgardian metal of the thunder god's hammer."

"Thor begins the agonzing process of uniting his lifeforce--his very essence--with the irresitible power of his uru mallet."

"One that might be focused through me--my body becoming as one with the power of the hammer supreme"

"I must call forth the god-force which flows with my veins--and unite it with the irresistible power of mine enchanted uru mallet! And the god of thunder shall beome one with the hammer supreme!"

I thought the dialogue describe the blast was the strongest evidence for it being a GB based on how it matches previous descriptions.

Branlor Swift
Yeah that description of it is as spot on as you can be while choosing different words

One time the blast comes out of his body, one time it's lightning and force waves, the others it's a small blast, and this one was lightning in a comic where everyone shot lightning.

Don't see the big deal.

JakeTheBank
It might not have been shown in the past because Thor rarely uses the GB, let a lone with other heralds. But, just because he hasn't doesn't mean its impossible.

Let's compare quotes from his previous god blasts with his most current one:

"all that they are--body and mind, emotion and spirit--entwine, fuse, erupt--channelled through the asgardian metal of the thunder god's hammer."

"Thor begins the agonzing process of uniting his lifeforce--his very essence--with the irresitible power of his uru mallet."

"One that might be focused through me--my body becoming as one with the power of the hammer supreme"

"I must call forth the god-force which flows with my veins--and unite it with the irresistible power of mine enchanted uru mallet! And the god of thunder shall beome one with the hammer supreme!"

I thought the dialogue describe the blast was the strongest evidence for it being a GB based on how it matches previous descriptions.

I'm not disputing it was a powerful attack. It obviously was intended to be just that. And it could certainly be intended to be even more powerful than any given Godblast. It just doesn't resemble a Godblast based on prior history.

vince_slice
I'm not disputing it was a powerful attack. It obviously was intended to be just that. And it could certainly be intended to be even more powerful than any given Godblast. It just doesn't resemble a Godblast based on prior history.

Well you mentioned that the dialogue made you think it wasn't a GB, so lets forget about its power for now, and focus on the dialogue:

"all that they are--body and mind, emotion and spirit--entwinw, fuse, erupt--channelled through the asgardian metal of the thunder god's hammer."

That doesn't sound like a GB to you? The common theme with the GB is Thor channelling his life-force through the hammer.

Thor, Surfer, and Rachel chanelling "all that they are--body and mind, emotion and spirit" through the hammer sounds like they're channelling their life-force to me, hence why it resembles a GB to me.

JakeTheBank
Well you mentioned that the dialogue made you think it wasn't a GB, so lets forget about its power for now, and focus on the dialogue:

"all that they are--body and mind, emotion and spirit--entwinw, fuse, erupt--channelled through the asgardian metal of the thunder god's hammer."

That doesn't sound like a GB to you? The common theme with the GB is Thor channelling his life-force through the hammer.

Thor, Surfer, and Rachel chanelling "all that they are--body and mind, emotion and spirit" through the hammer sounds like they're channelling their life-force to me, hence why it resembles a GB to me.

If you used solely the dialogue and nothing else, it would sound like a Godblast barring the involvement of other beings contributing to it, I suppose. The dialogue combined with the art and all previous knowledge of the Godblast suggests that it's not, though.

Tar-Antado
Thor, the Surfer and the other herald put all that they had into a blast focused through Mjolnir. So much so it rendered all of them drained and unconscious. Sounds like a godblast to me.

Damborgson
It's a good thing the godblast doesn't drain Thor when he uses it then thumb up Never has.

JakeTheBank
True enough.

As I said, whatever it was, it was intended to be incredibly powerful, and perhaps in that instance, definitely above the Godblast in terms of power.

But it didn't appear to be the Godblast at all.

Tar-Antado
It's a good thing the godblast doesn't drain Thor when he uses it then thumb up Never has.

Maybe it's something more powerful than a godblast then.

Damborgson
Maybe it's something more powerful than a godblast then.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyhn8zaV1m1qcxhpko1_500.gif

Tar-Antado
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyhn8zaV1m1qcxhpko1_500.gif

lol. Why not, if Thor gave his all essence into the blast and got drained as result?

Damborgson
He got ko'd from the bigass explosion that resulted. Why there was an explosion, i don't know.

Tar-Antado
He got ko'd from the bigass explosion that resulted. Why there was an explosion, i don't know.

Probably because the energy release was mightier than a godblast.

Damborgson
Probably because the energy release was mightier than a godblast.

Ok lol.

So, it's fairly clear that it wasn't a godblast. Fine, dandy. But now, you've decided to call it some new attack that never existed prior (there is no higher power Thor can use than his godblast), and decided to say that it was indeed mightier than the godblast because...well there's the problem. There is no because. Unless you have some proof that it's anything more than some super lightning that the abstracts noticed enough to stop fighting, it's total speculation on your end. thumb up And given your not so liking history of posts towards all things Asgardian, it's not surprising to see why you'd like to be that way.

Tar-Antado
Ok lol.

So, it's fairly clear that it wasn't a godblast. Fine, dandy. But now, you've decided to call it some new attack that never existed prior (there is no higher power Thor can use than his godblast), and decided to say that it was indeed mightier than the godblast because...well there's the problem. There is no because. Unless you have some proof that it's anything more than some super lightning that the abstracts noticed enough to stop fighting, it's total speculation on your end. thumb up And given your not so liking history of posts towards all things Asgardian, it's not surprising to see why you'd like to be that way.

And since you're pro-anything Asgardian, you probably wanted to disassociate the scene from a godblast. even though the narration described it as such. The blast in this issue was created by 3 powerful beings, again by the narration, gave all their essence focused through the hammer. Why is it so hard to accept it may be more powerful than a godblast...IF indeed it were not just a more powerful instance of a godlbast? After all, if you look at the original godlbast, it really did not look that far off from the one from the annual. And it came from Thor and 2 other beings just as powerful. This blast was so powerful, the act of executing the godblast or the result of it knocked the 3 out.

Tar-Antado
And since you're pro-anything Asgardian, you probably wanted to disassociate the scene from a godblast. even though the narration described it as such. The blast in this issue was created by 3 powerful beings, again by the narration, gave all their essence focused through the hammer. Why is it so hard to accept it may be more powerful than a godblast...IF indeed it were not just a more powerful instance of a godlbast? After all, if you look at the original godlbast, it really did not look that far off from the one from the annual. And it came from Thor and 2 other beings just as powerful. This blast was so powerful, the act of executing the godblast or the result of it knocked the 3 out. That in itself suggest it is extraordinary from what Thor can usually output by himself.

Damborgson
And since you're pro-anything Asgardian, you probably wanted to disassociate the scene from a godblast. even though the narration described it as such. The blast in this issue was created by 3 powerful beings, again by the narration, gave all their essence focused through the hammer. Why is it so hard to accept it may be more powerful than a godblast...IF indeed it were not just a more powerful instance of a godlbast? After all, if you look at the original godlbast, it really did not look that far off from the one from the annual. And it came from Thor and 2 other beings just as powerful. So powerful, the act of executing the godblast or the result of it knocked the 3 out.

It's because I'm pro-Asgardian that I care enough about the character not to make them what they're not. In this case, that wasn't a godblast. As much as I'd have liked to see current Thor perform one.

Narration described the dramatic moment which built up to the super lightning. Not a godblast.

Because it didn't demonstrate anything that would even imply it was stronger than a godbalst. In addition, Thor's never used his godly life force in conjunction with power cosmic which is what you'd be implying if you'd suggest that somehow the other two were performing their own version of the G-blast. All they did was give it all they had. Something that Thor's done many many times.

Wasn't a godblast, you have dramatic narration to help your point, but it's fundamentally different from even the original godbalst. The original one used pure waves of energy to beat back Galactus. This was lightning, which Thor has used many many times. In this case he just channeled the power of the others to charge the lightning strike. It's fairly straight forward really.

Tar-Antado
It's because I'm pro-Asgardian that I care enough about the character not to make them what they're not. In this case, that wasn't a godblast. As much as I'd have liked to see current Thor perform one.

Narration described the dramatic moment which built up to the super lightning. Not a godblast.

Because it didn't demonstrate anything that would even imply it was stronger than a godbalst. In addition, Thor's never used his godly life force in conjunction with power cosmic which is what you'd be implying if you'd suggest that somehow the other two were performing their own version of the G-blast. All they did was give it all they had. Something that Thor's done many many times.

Wasn't a godblast, you have dramatic narration to help your point, but it's fundamentally different from even the original godbalst. The original one used pure waves of energy to beat back Galactus. This was lightning, which Thor has used many many times. In this case he just channeled the power of the others to charge the lightning strike. It's fairly straight forward really.

Really? I have never seen Thor use other power sources just to create lightning. I think you are the one speculating now. If Thor's solo godblast is more powerful, why not just execute it himself to stop the 3 cosmics? Probably because, the combo godblast...or version of it was more powerful and could achieve a better result. If not why resort to it specially if it would render them senseless?

Damborgson
Really? I have never seen Thor use other power sources just to create lightning. I think you are the one speculating now. If Thor's solo godblast is more powerful, why not just execute it himself to stop the 3 cosmics? Probably because, the combo godblast...or version of it was more powerful and could achieve a better result. If not why resort to it specially if it would render them senseless?

But you've seen him create lightning which is the point. He just added the power of the others onto the blast. Using the energy of others is something he's done before. So guess I'm not speculating smile

That's an irrelevant matter. Why does Thor not use his best attack against all the cosmics he's met before? Why does he get knocked out instead and not just use the g-blast and end it? It's comics. By that logic Thor would rarely if ever lose a fight. Because there's always something in his arsenal he could've used to win.

Tar-Antado
But you've seen him create lightning which is the point. He just added the power of the others onto the blast. Using the energy of others is something he's done before. So guess I'm not speculating smile

That's an irrelevant matter. Why does Thor not use his best attack against all the cosmics he's met before? Why does he get knocked out instead and not just use the g-blast and end it? It's comics. By that logic Thor would rarely if ever lose a fight. Because there's always something in his arsenal he could've used to win.

It's a discharge of energy through Mjolnir containing the essenses of Thor, Surfer and Rachel. That is the best attack they could muster. Logically better than any of them as individuals could muster. This is the relevant matter.

leonidas
and how much more should it be hitting him? It was a short semi continuous blast that blew up. There's not much room for it to do more

It's speculation based on art with virtually no support from any where else. I could see if this was DC Universe and you were an electric DPS, but even then the damage doesn't split at 3. I think it's 5 when it starts splitting...

Hell, might as well start speculating that the only energy that hit the others were because it bounced off Galactus

There's also the fact that the 3 expended so much power into the GB that they KOed themselves too... But yeah

how much more is the question. and like i said, i'm not sure. the explosion was focused on a large area though and if we assume all 3 were equal, each absorbed some of the power and likely a lot of it was wasted in the area around them and outwards. would any of them have noticed it had it been focused on just 1 of them? imo it would have done more than it did, but it wouldn't have been appreciably more given the powers they all displayed.

i'm not sure what's speculation based on art though. i'm of the opinion the lightning surrounded them all EVENLY (i was pointing out to gk what i thought the relative positions of the characters were, in answer to what he was saying and how it could be viewed differently) and that the lightning really didn't do much. it was the explosion after that was the real attack and the energy it released.

i think the real source of disagreement here is the gb vs galactus. the gb worked once on a weak g. any standard level galactus would tank it pretty effortlessly imo.

leonidas
I'm just saying it was retarded

on that we agree completely. thumb up

TheGodKiller
lol

lame rebuke? how you can actually look at that and say that a part of the other is NOT between g and the heralds i have utterly no idea. the other's tentacle is stretching into the foreground. and how the hell you can POSSIBLY suggest g took the "brunt" of it, i have no clue, as there is apparently NO affect on ANY of them by the lightning. but sure, no rebuke. your facts are clearly in order. thumb up
I am referring to you having dismissed my arguments in the past with the "and that's YOUR opinion" response.

The reason that they were positioned at a non-perpendicular angle with respect to the 3 heralds? See the blue background of the blast again. See those slanting white lines? That shows that this isn't just a 2-d image in that panel, but the heralds shot from a position where Galactus was in the direct line of fire. That's why I think that he took the brunt of it. Feel free to disagree if you want friend, but I feel that the art is clear enough in this regard.

TheGodKiller
Well sure you can, but it's...not necessarily smart. That is some heavy reaching dude. Mjolnir, wielded by the god of thunder, and it's improbable to you that it's his lightning? That doesn't sound probable at all.

The artwork is clear enough even in the old comic, as well as bringing a description of the energy, and the art in the annual most certainly didn't leave it ambiguous that it was lightning and nothing else. It made it sound like they were going all out, putting everything they had into the blast. Not necessarily the godblast imo.

That's not really how it tends to work in Thor's case though. He's used the godblast on much much more minor threats (juggernaut), and not used it on greater threats (Demigorge, PF, Serpent, Mephisto, Surtur, etc) so while it'd make sense for him to use it, he wouldn't necessarily do it, and it's pretty clear he didn't.

Ok, if we're not going to convince the other it's probably for the best. Later.
Wielded by Thor, Surfer and Rachel you mean. Were it only Thor doing that all-out attack, you'd have a point but he didn't, so it's very much probable. Especially when one sees lightning type bolts being shot out by the Abstracts as well in that story.

That's precisely what I have been saying. The art in the Oblivion book was much more well defined, well illustrated and better drawn than the art from the original Thor/Galactus godblast incidence. They were putting their body, mind, spirit and everything they had into it. Seems very similar to the time Thor channeled his life essence into the mallet, but if you still disagree, I am cool with it.

This case was entirely different as he was witnessing and feeling first-hand the destruction of the multiverse being wrought by Galactus/Scrier/Other, a conflict, if you remember, started in large part due to Thor himself and also involved the other 2 heralds. Not to mention that he's used it on Surtur and Ymir from what I recall(although it only ended up bfring them), and he also crippled Majeston Zelia with it.

Cool beans. thumb up

Damborgson
It's a discharge of energy through Mjolnir containing the essenses of Thor, Surfer and Rachel. That is the best attack they could muster. Logically better than any of them as individuals could muster. This is the relevant matter.

That countered nothing and didn't help your case. thumb up So guess we're done here.

leonidas
I am referring to you having dismissed my arguments in the past with the "and that's YOUR opinion" response.

The reason that they were positioned at a non-perpendicular angle with respect to the 3 heralds? See the blue background of the blast again. See those slanting white lines? That shows that this isn't just a 2-d image in that panel, but the heralds shot from a position where Galactus was in the direct line of fire. That's why I think that he took the brunt of it. Feel free to disagree if you want friend, but I feel that the art is clear enough in this regard.

well, it's not really a rebuke though to suggest these kinds of things are opinionated stances, nor is it a dismissal to say this is my opinion and that is yours and we're not meeting each other on them. erm

anyway, this is some serious minutiae we're talking about. i think we both agree they were surrounded and the attack exploded. we may disagree on the nature of the damage inflicted among them, but i also think we both agree that whether the blast were concentrated or not, it wouldn't have made a very significant difference. i just happen to think a fully focused blast would have made SOME impact on just one. so, meh, we're not TOO far apart on our thoughts here i don't think.....

Dampyre
Galactus wins.

kgkg
Galactus

Branlor Swift
how much more is the question. and like i said, i'm not sure. the explosion was focused on a large area though and if we assume all 3 were equal, each absorbed some of the power and likely a lot of it was wasted in the area around them and outwards. would any of them have noticed it had it been focused on just 1 of them? imo it would have done more than it did, but it wouldn't have been appreciably more given the powers they all displayed.

i'm not sure what's speculation based on art though. i'm of the opinion the lightning surrounded them all EVENLY (i was pointing out to gk what i thought the relative positions of the characters were, in answer to what he was saying and how it could be viewed differently) and that the lightning really didn't do much. it was the explosion after that was the real attack and the energy it released.

i think the real source of disagreement here is the gb vs galactus. the gb worked once on a weak g. any standard level galactus would tank it pretty effortlessly imo. If this is what you think (IE, the GB is irrelevant, and the explosion caused most of the damage) then there's not much point to continue.

I will say this though, the lightning was all around them, and looked to be bouncing between them. Plus, it's kind of hard to see lightning surrounding one person even more especially that big of lightning.

If it did, it'd turn into a "those small lightning bolts weren't doing much by filling in the gaps between the big ones... it was clearly the other bolts shooting off in the distance. Imagine if those would have hit!" type of argument.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.