UNSC (SPARTANS) vs Imperial Sith Empire

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Truculent
Since BOTH characters originated in games, hopefully the moderator will allow this.

It's the Battle of Alderaan and Republic troops have been overrun. Sith forces are poised to capture the system when instead of facing special forces, they are ambushed and in heavy contact with 30 SPARTAN-IVs led by SPARTAN Sarah Palmer and SPARTAN-II Master Chief. Who wins this fight? Each side are equipped with their kitted with their standard weaponry.

Lord Lucien
You are aware aren't you, that the Foreign Cinema subforum is the new Everything vs. forum, right? Post this there.

And you didn't list any numbers for the Sith, or what constitutes "standard weaponry".

Q99
30 Spartans? That's quite a lot. Battle of Alderaan means young Malgus and his crew, and reinforcements are on the way so a draw is effectively a win.

Like Satele did, they force the Sith into local retreat, followed by a pull-out when naval forces arrive.

Based
Spartans have a chance if they have SW weaponry, but if they have UNSC weapons they got slaughtered. Unless all of them have like splazers.

KingD19
You realize Force User's have a lot more trouble with "slugthrowers" aka normal guns, than they do blasters right?

A lot higher rate of fire, you can't see the projectiles as clearly, and they shoot out a lot faster.

Lord Lucien
Meh. After seeing Obi-Wan dead casually deflect a barrage of lasers with one hand, I'm not inclined to believe that a barrage of slugs are any great threat for a comparable Jedi.

KingD19
Blasters fire slower than slugthrowers though, and you can see the big ass bright streaks of light flying toward you. Slugthrowers are bullets, go a lot faster, and have been stated to give even skilled Jedi trouble because of the number of projectiles, the size, and the speed.

Plus there's the fact that Spartan's are superior to Force User's on average in every way by a very large margin aside from Force Powers.

Q99
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Meh. After seeing Obi-Wan dead casually deflect a barrage of lasers with one hand, I'm not inclined to believe that a barrage of slugs are any great threat for a comparable Jedi.

From one Spartan, sure, but, like, five? They're replacing a relatively small spec ops group, they're more dangerous than the commandos of the group, and they'll focus fire.

NemeBro
So what, does the Imperial Sith Empire make no use of airstrike capabilities?

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by NemeBro
So what, does the Imperial Sith Empire make no use of airstrike capabilities? This is science-fiction. Strategic nukes, overwhelming orbital bombardment, and Mach 100 vessels have NO PLACE in an epic slow-mo ground fight between a couple dozen power-armored space marines and their magician/acrobats.

ares834
Originally posted by KingD19
Blasters fire slower than slugthrowers though, and you can see the big ass bright streaks of light flying toward you. Slugthrowers are bullets, go a lot faster, and have been stated to give even skilled Jedi trouble because of the number of projectiles, the size, and the speed.

Where do you get that blaster are slower than bullets? Is it BS calculations based on the laughably inconsistent blaster speeds from the movies?

Anyway, Obi-Wan casually deflects hundreds of bullets with the force in his duel with Durge. Don't see why other Jedi or Sith would be incapable of doing something similar at a smaller scale.

Ben "cA" Risa
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
You are aware aren't you, that the Foreign Cinema subforum is the new Everything vs. forum, right? Post this there.

lol I thought you were being facetious but a quick glance at the subforum and I can see that's actually the case.

That's like, totally disrespectful to foreign cinema. They could have at least just deleted the forum and created a new one in its place.

Zampanó
Originally posted by Ben "cA" Risa
lol I thought you were being facetious but a quick glance at the subforum and I can see that's actually the case.

That's like, totally disrespectful to foreign cinema. They could have at least just deleted the forum and created a new one in its place.
We don't have an admin. The owner of the site hasn't logged on in months (or years, if you don't count an abortive attempt to get involved last August(?)).

Anyway, since Blax isn't here, I think I'm obligated to side with the Spartans. Master Chief is faster and stronger than any of the Jedi involved (as is presumably every spartan).

Lord Lucien
The fastest Spartan could run 60 km/h. And another could lift and chuck an entire drop pod. Both of these Spartans were chicks.

Tzeentch._
Originally posted by KingD19
You realize Force User's have a lot more trouble with "slugthrowers" aka normal guns, than they do blasters right?

A lot higher rate of fire, you can't see the projectiles as clearly, and they shoot out a lot faster.

I'd like to see the source for this. I've heard it before, and seen the slugthrower article on Wookie, but it lists no source.

Originally posted by Zampanó

Anyway, since Blax isn't here, I think I'm obligated to side with the Spartans.

laughing out loud I didn't know I was "the guy" for that. stick out tongue

Q99
The issue isn't whether they can block fire from one slugthrower. It's whether they can handle multiple coming from different directions.

Tzeentch._
I agree with that. Obi-Wan getting overwhelmed by Grievous' strikes per second and Luke and Mara getting pinned by two droidekas firing on fully-automatic is pretty indicative of Jedi struggling to contend with high RoF weapons. My question was in response to the notion that slugthrowers give Jedi a harder time than blasters do. It's a statement I've heard multiple times, and seen on Wookiepedia, but have never seen a source for.

If the argument is that slugthrowers are more deadly because they have higher rates of fire, then that would be incorrect. Most blasters above the pistol varient have high rates of fire, the characters in the stories/shows/movies just never fire on anything above semi-automatic, for some reason.

edit- As far as angles, it depends on the Jedi. In Labyrinth of Evil, Obi-Wan got cornered by ~50 battle-droids, and spent several minutes deflecting all of their blasterfire until Anakin arrived. He was also high on some sort of gas, as I recall.

KingD19
It's more that you can't see slughthrower bullets, and not their rate of fire, but the projectile speed. A bullet travels a lot faster than a blaster bolt, and is a whole lot smaller and practically invisible in flight due to it's size and speed. It's a lot harder to block that than it is a giant streak of light.

Tzeentch._
I'm not sure what sight has to do with anything, considering that Jedi don't rely on seeing the projectile to deflect it at all. Hell, the first real instance of blaster bolt deflection we see in the mythos is luke skywalker with about 30 minutes of jedi training deflecting bolts with a blindfold on.

Furthermore, in Shatterpoint every enemy Mace fought on Haruun Kal used a slugthrower iirc, because something about the air on the planet corroded blasters. There is no mention within the narrative of Mace struggling to deflect the slugs, or at least having to exert more effort to defend against them then normal.

Q99
Rather than bullets vs blasters, I will point out the important thing is you'll have multiple firing very accurately from multiple angles to prevent defense, because that's standard tactics.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.