The Chiss Ascendancy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

steveholt951
I'm on book 4/19 of the NJO series and I've noticed something interesting. It seems that, at least on a pound for pound basis, the Chiss Ascendancy is superior to the New Republic/Galactic Empire in terms of weaponry, military, air force, etc, and at least on par with the Vong. Any thoughts on this? They just seem better prepared for the Vong than the New Republic. It could be because they fight some weird unknown shit in the Unknown Regions on a constant basis, I don't know.

Lord Lucien
The Chiss knew about the Vong, the "far outsiders" as they called them, as far back as 27 BBY. Fair to say they've been ready for a fight. They also dwell in the Unknown Regions, outside the Vong's main invasion corridors. They're also not as strong as the Empire (at its height), but they are doubtless superior to the Remnant circa NJO.

steveholt951
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
The Chiss knew about the Vong, the "far outsiders" as they called them, as far back as 27 BBY. Fair to say they've been ready for a fight. They also dwell in the Unknown Regions, outside the Vong's main invasion corridors. They're also not as strong as the Empire (at its height), but they are doubtless superior to the Remnant circa NJO.

A lot of characters in these NJO books believe the Vong are superior to the Empire but that's hard to believe. I mean maybe in terms of technology, but in sheer numbers? Really tough to believe

Q99
It took awhile for the Vong's strategic limitations to become apparent.

Originally posted by steveholt951
I'm on book 4/19 of the NJO series and I've noticed something interesting. It seems that, at least on a pound for pound basis, the Chiss Ascendancy is superior to the New Republic/Galactic Empire in terms of weaponry, military, air force, etc, and at least on par with the Vong. Any thoughts on this? They just seem better prepared for the Vong than the New Republic. It could be because they fight some weird unknown shit in the Unknown Regions on a constant basis, I don't know.

Basically the Chiss seem to be smaller and thus able to afford good stuff for all, plus UR threats give them incentive to.

Overall they're weaker, but they're able to keep their smaller military in tip-top shape as a result, whereas the GE and NR have to worry about equipping far more.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by steveholt951
A lot of characters in these NJO books believe the Vong are superior to the Empire but that's hard to believe. I mean maybe in terms of technology, but in sheer numbers? Really tough to believe The old Empire, of Palpatine? Doubt it. I don't think you've reached it yet, but Tsavong Lah confides in Nom Anor, I think, about how lucky they are that the New Republic and Jeedai overthrew the Empire before the Vong arrived. That if it wasn't for those meddling kids and their Force, the Vong wouldn't have gotten away with invading a military power like the Empire.

Ascendancy
Yeah, the Empire at it's strongest would have mollywopped the Vong.

Q99
Mind you, the Old Republic's military could've too, and the NR could've done quite a lot better if the politicians weren't idiots.

The main thing needed to stop them was a united galaxy.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.