Need title of Movie about recluse author

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

click80
I think this movie was in the late 90s, prob 2000s. I might be off on some of the facts but overall I am right.

It starts off showing a young girl in a big city (think NY) she is working as a bartender. The movie first shows her and her boyfriend trying to get some drugs. Then a woman comes in the bar and is a literary agent who wants to find the girls father.

The girls father is a well known radical (from the 60s?) and wrote either just one book or a limited amount of work and then quit writing. The girl ends up getting money from the literary agent by promising to go find her fathers old work.

She gets home and finds her father (played by someone known) living in a garage in back of his house, total raging drunk. There is a girl (college aged) living in his house who helps him with his day to day things. Like getting his alcohol. There is also a young man, a local, who lives in the house and helps out also doing upkeep. He plays the guitar and the film partly focuses on his inability to play at an open mic night.

The girl/daughter moves into the house and starts looking for her fathers work, which in the end he has buried in the backyard.

There are some fairly well known actors in this movie but I am totally lost on who they are. I thought it was Ellen Page, but I couldn't find it in her filmography. The father and the young man living in the house are also easily recognizable, just not memorable enough for me I suppose.

Please help me on this.

Major_Lexington
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089017/

maybe??

expertadvisor1
'Major_Lexington' said right......

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.