Sentry Vs Silver Surfer

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Golgo13
Sentry at the top of his game, but non VoidSentry. Who wins?

JakeTheBank
Sentry.

Supermex
SS wins a close fight

Branlor Swift
Sentry drowning Surfer with tears won't work here

Golgo13
laughing out loud

Damborgson
Originally posted by Branlor Swift
Sentry drowning Surfer with tears won't work here

What if Sentry throws himself into a star a couple times instead?

SS wins

pym-ftw
Norrin

Classic NES
Surfer.

Sin I AM
have they met?

cdtm
Sentry sucks, but he beats Norrin here.

Surfer isn't nearly winning a standoff with Dr. Strange, Thor, and Hulk, much less manhandle Hulk the way Voidtry did..

Then there's what he did to Molecule Man.

Dolos
The Silver Surfer.

h1a8
Sentry at the top of his game wins this.

tkitna
This one is tough. I'm not sure yet. Have to give this more thought.

Bentley
Surfer should win more often than not. He has the tools to beat Sentry.

Mshinu
SENTRY beats Silver Surfer into the Silver Paperweight.

The Sorrow
Sentry was more ruthless and powerful than Norrin when at his best imo. Sentry wins.

janus77
Sentry's more ruthless but Surfer is more powerful, versatile and has all the abilities necessary to neutralise any Sentry attack.

PIS free, Surfer wins this with either a mental attack to knock out Sentry or illusions and phasing to wear him out.

Sentry has no means of attacking Surfer that Surfer cannot counter creatively (and Surfer does use his powers creatively).

The Sorrow
Originally posted by janus77
Sentry's more ruthless but Surfer is more powerful, versatile and has all the abilities necessary to neutralise any Sentry attack.

PIS free, Surfer wins this with either a mental attack to knock out Sentry or illusions and phasing to wear him out.

Sentry has no means of attacking Surfer that Surfer cannot counter creatively (and Surfer does use his powers creatively).
I think you mean CIS-free because Surfer rarely uses those abilities, especially in tandem. Sentrys power affects molecules so it's doubtful phasing would work anyway.

janus77
Yep, CIS-free would be more accurate.

The Phasing and Illusions aren't so much to counter Sentry's matter-manip, as to wear him out by giving him targets to chase/lunge at and blast.

Surfer's own matter manipulation powers should be more than sufficient to counter Sentry's matter manip attacks.

Surfer has used planet-wide illusions and blasts in tandem before, iirc. I think he did something not too long ago where he created a Galactus illusion and blasted some ships to stall/buy time for something or other.

bbrem123
Sentry wins this at the top of his game

yaadaveyaa
sentry at the top of his game doesnt lose to any herald ever so quit it debate is over ss thor none of them can beat sentry at the top of his game hes our greatest hero for a reason

JayDaDon
What would we say Sentry at the top of his game (not voidtry) best feat was? Stalemating genis or the whole molecule man thing?

JakeTheBank
-Beating the Void who was taking it to Dr. Strange, Hulk, and Thor among others.
-His fight with Genis.
-No selling death multiple times.
-Stopping Terrax's axe without effort.

Those are the feats that come to mind when I think of Sentry at his best and not being a b1tch.

JayDaDon
I was also somewhat impressed by the casual whooping he put on the thing. It was like watching Superman himself fight the Thing laughing out loud

curryman
Originally posted by JayDaDon
I was also somewhat impressed by the casual whooping he put on the thing. It was like watching Superman himself fight the Thing laughing out loud

Thing from the past though.

Depending on how far back they go he could be as low as class 5 smile

JayDaDon
Good point

curryman
Good point

I still think that Sentry should be able to no-sell hits like that from most class 100s though.

Like how the Savage Hulk couldn't budge him. smile

tkitna
Originally posted by janus77

Surfer's own matter manipulation powers should be more than sufficient to counter Sentry's matter manip attacks.

Not so sure about that. Owen punked Surfer pretty easily before and Bob punked Owen. Different powersets,,,could be. I'm just saying that it could be a possibility for Bob.

I'm still on the fence. Its hard to vote against SS as he's done some crazy stuff.

vince_slice
Is this Sentry at his best versus Surfer on average? Or are both at their best?

TheHulk
Sentry at the top of his game could beat SS for a good majority.

No CIS,SS could put up a better fight though.

JakeTheBank
Sentry at his best was clearly designed to be beyond the top of the top of Marvel characters: Dr. Strange, Thor, Hulk, etc. Surfer at his best isn't beyond those three.

JayDaDon
I'd say hulk, but prolly not Thor and Strange

Horrificus
Originally posted by Branlor Swift
Sentry drowning Surfer with tears won't work here Hahaha! So true.

Maybe he can ask Colossus to help take on Surfer. While Sentry is crying, Piotr can paint a sad picture. Then, they can all beat on a "holding back" Hulk, because he is so deep and sensitive.

Unfortunately, it might work. They will all end up in a bar listening to Surfer talk about Shalla Bal.

Uggh. "Sensitivity". There is no place for it in comic books!

JakeTheBank
I'd say hulk, but prolly not Thor and Strange

In terms of a fight, yeah, I can get around that idea. But in terms of status and overall formidability, those guys are classically the top guys in Marvel. Hulk's the bench mark for physical power, Thor's the physical/magic "tank mage", Surfer's the energy blaster/manipulator, and Doctor Strange is the mage glass cannon. You could make arguments for any one of those guys beating the other in the right circumstances.

Sentry, lame as he is, was intended to be beyond that at his best.

Damborgson
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/38919/1002079-778550_silversurfer03603iy4_super.jpg
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/5/53522/1007226-she_hulk_pwns_sentry_super.jpg
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls7crd3LJ11qafrh6.gif

Branlor Swift
/thread

Horrificus
Originally posted by Damborgson
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/38919/1002079-778550_silversurfer03603iy4_super.jpg
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/5/53522/1007226-she_hulk_pwns_sentry_super.jpg
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls7crd3LJ11qafrh6.gif Boobies FTW!

Mindship
Originally posted by Sin I AM
have they met? To my knowledge, no...which I always found "suspiciously interesting." Like how the Surfer/Superman crossover was, I think, the only crossover where the heroes did not fight. Suspiciously interesting.

The impression I get is that Sentry was supposed to be (at least) a whole new level of power in the Marvelverse, and while he had impressive feats, he generally struck me as more hype-driven (sans Void).

Part of me wants to say Sentry wins, to be consistent with what he was "supposed" to be. But...but...I just can't. I am inclined to give this to Surfer...as long as Surfer doesn't try to monologue Bob into submission (though on second thought...).

JayDaDon
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
In terms of a fight, yeah, I can get around that idea. But in terms of status and overall formidability, those guys are classically the top guys in Marvel. Hulk's the bench mark for physical power, Thor's the physical/magic "tank mage", Surfer's the energy blaster/manipulator, and Doctor Strange is the mage glass cannon. You could make arguments for any one of those guys beating the other in the right circumstances.

Sentry, lame as he is, was intended to be beyond that at his best.

Yeah but because of how limited Hulk is, there's only so far up he can go normally. For example, we can see Thor and Surfer in fights with skyfathers+ while Hulk usually doesn't get to that level, that's mostly my reasoning.

Mr.SunKing
the whole Sentry and molecule man thing, it is considered PIS^5??? does not sit well with Owen's past feats. it's rather ridiculous,I see no other way of viewing it.

bbrem123
or sentry was that strong....it happened and people have to deal with it...void has been shown to be plenty strong enough in the past...everybody wants to discredit the feat because it is sentry and nobody like him as a character

bbrem123
Sentry at his best was clearly designed to be beyond the top of the top of Marvel characters: Dr. Strange, Thor, Hulk, etc. Surfer at his best isn't beyond those three. correct

Tony Stark
Bob FTW

Sentry at his best was clearly designed to be beyond the top of the top of Marvel characters: Dr. Strange, Thor, Hulk, etc. Surfer at his best isn't beyond those three. after his original mini and without any void interference?

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by 753
after his original mini and without any void interference?

He was still heralded under Bendis to be the most powerful being on the planet/greatest hero of all time.

Obviously, feats suggest otherwise, but the intent was still there.

-Pr-
Bendis flat out had the intention of making him marvel's Superman, and said as much in his scripts.

JakeTheBank
lol

Bendis.

-Pr-
Yup.

bbrem123
Originally posted by -Pr-
Bendis flat out had the intention of making him marvel's Superman, and said as much in his scripts. wow bendis failed on that one

tkitna
Originally posted by bbrem123
wow bendis failed on that one

Aint that the truth.

SamZED
Originally posted by bbrem123
or sentry was that strong....it happened and people have to deal with it...void has been shown to be plenty strong enough in the past...everybody wants to discredit the feat because it is sentry and nobody like him as a character Majority labels the MM feat as PIS. But the thing is.. it wasnt your standart PIS example when a character with established power level suddenly does something he logically shouldnt be able to do. Sentry didn't use his herald level powers to beat MM, in fact he was getting stomped on at his standart power level. But in that same issue he discoveres that his powers go way beyond what was originally believed. And its not farfetched seeing how nobody knows where his powers come from or their extent. Its not the same as say BP suddenly being strong enough to armbar a class 100+ Surfer. IMO.

TheHulk
Originally posted by SamZED
Majority labels the MM feat as PIS. But the thing is.. it wasnt your standart PIS example when a character with established power level suddenly does something he logically shouldnt be able to do. Sentry didn't use his herald level powers to beat MM, in fact he was getting stomped on at his standart power level. But in that same issue he discoveres that his powers go way beyond what was originally believed. And its not farfetched seeing how nobody knows where his powers come from or their extent. Its not the same as say BP suddenly being strong enough to armbar a class 100+ Surfer. IMO. thumb up

TheHulk
Do not mention ****ing Bendis,when it comes to Sentry!

He ruined Sentry and that's enough said! mad

AlmightyKfish
Originally posted by SamZED
Majority labels the MM feat as PIS. But the thing is.. it wasnt your standart PIS example when a character with established power level suddenly does something he logically shouldnt be able to do. Sentry didn't use his herald level powers to beat MM, in fact he was getting stomped on at his standart power level. But in that same issue he discoveres that his powers go way beyond what was originally believed. And its not farfetched seeing how nobody knows where his powers come from or their extent. Its not the same as say BP suddenly being strong enough to armbar a class 100+ Surfer. IMO.

But it's farfetched because he never did anything on that level again. I mean, even the Beyonder wasn't able to control MM's own molecules, and then Sentry never used matter manipulation again. That being said, Owen clearly wasn't operating at his peak (he was going crazy and manifesting his subconscious mind etc) so it's not quite like Sentry beat him when he was warping the multiverse fighting with the Beyonder.

zopzop
Originally posted by AlmightyKfish
But it's farfetched because he never did anything on that level again. I mean, even the Beyonder wasn't able to control MM's own molecules, and then Sentry never used matter manipulation again. That being said, Owen clearly wasn't operating at his peak (he was going crazy and manifesting his subconscious mind etc) so it's not quite like Sentry beat him when he was warping the multiverse fighting with the Beyonder.
Molecule Man was all over the place power wise in his, count them, FOUR appearances since the retcon.

He lost vs Klaw, was possessed by Puppet Master (or whatever his name is) and forced to fight Aaron the Rogue Watcher and MM lost, he beat Beyonder in a trans-multiversal fight, then he dies vs Sentry. Three out of his four post retcon appearances were losses, that's a FULL 75%.

Having said that, even before the Secret Wars wankage involving MM and Beyonder, look at what Owen did here :
http://s7.postimg.org/52fbfmg5z/2584718_a215_weaponsdestroyed.jpg
He destroyed Cap's shield, Thor's hammer, IM's armor and Surfer's board! He goes on to capture them and attempts to kill them but guess whose power saved them? Hint he's silver.

PIS/CISless Surfer can give non-voided Sentry a run for his money and may even take a few wins.

My respect for SS is steadily rising.

SamZED
Originally posted by AlmightyKfish
But it's farfetched because he never did anything on that level again. I mean, even the Beyonder wasn't able to control MM's own molecules, and then Sentry never used matter manipulation again. That being said, Owen clearly wasn't operating at his peak (he was going crazy and manifesting his subconscious mind etc) so it's not quite like Sentry beat him when he was warping the multiverse fighting with the Beyonder. IMO it made perfect sense. Sentry havent fought anyone on that level anymore but he did use matter manipulation. In fact MM is a perfect explanation to all the crazy stuff he's done over the years. The fight with MM is just the moment he realised what his power was and figured out how to use it. But prior to that fight he could teleport, bring people back from the dead, resurrect himself but did that subcounciously. MM explains Void's shapeshifting as well.

Originally posted by TheHulk
thumb up cool

AlmightyKfish
Originally posted by zopzop
Molecule Man was all over the place power wise in his, count them, FOUR appearances since the retcon.

He lost vs Klaw, was possessed by Puppet Master (or whatever his name is) and forced to fight Aaron the Rogue Watcher and MM lost, he beat Beyonder in a trans-multiversal fight, then he dies vs Sentry. Three out of his four post retcon appearances were losses, that's a FULL 75%.

Having said that, even before the Secret Wars wankage involving MM and Beyonder, look at what Owen did here :
http://s7.postimg.org/52fbfmg5z/2584718_a215_weaponsdestroyed.jpg
He destroyed Cap's shield, Thor's hammer, IM's armor and Surfer's board! He goes on to capture them and attempts to kill them but guess whose power saved them? Hint he's silver.

PIS/CISless Surfer can give non-voided Sentry a run for his money and may even take a few wins.

My respect for SS is steadily rising.

Not that I disagree that he's had a mixed bag, but the reasons for it were mentioned in the story with the Beyonder fight. It was stated that between the incident with Aaran that Owen had spent months exploring his powers, which is why he was incredibly powerful again, whereas for Klaw/Aaran he was back to his classic levels following his split from the cube.

But yeah then you had his showing in Hulk where he didn't really do much, and DA.

Eel O'Brien
We know MM doesn't have the best mental stability; what if that whole thing was a red herring and (if revisited) would have turned out that MM was exercising all the power in his "fight" with Sentry. Owen was actually reforming the Sentry and Sentry only thought he had such power.

The reason I say that is that it really seems like Bendis just wanted to screw with people about what Sentry was all about. Think about "I have MM powers" in the light of "I am Galactus, devourer of worlds" and He's the Angel of Death". Both of those may or may not have been simply off-hand remarks, but Bendis still made a point to throw them out there.

The whole Sentry character basically became Bendis' fist to all the readers who like to have everything figured out before the story ends. "You think Sentry is Marvel's Superman?" FIST "You think he's a tragic hero?" FIST You think he was an innocent kid who stumbled on a secret formula? FIST

Sorry for rant, I'm bleeding blue and gold over here...

Back on topic, The Sentry from his very first miniseries wins. If it's any other version, then Silver Surfer wins the majority based off a more consistent level of power and versatility.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.