Wolfenstein: The New Order

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
E6opaIl8h8U

Kazenji
I looked up Machinegames last night, They got two of the founders of Starbreeze working there.

FistOfThe North
Honestly I liked the last Wolfenstein. This game look like it's taking it in a completely different direction with mechs. After reading a few solid reviews I'd still play it.

Kazenji
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Honestly I liked the last Wolfenstein. This game look like it's taking it in a completely different direction with mechs. After reading a few solid reviews I'd still play it.

Well the Wolfenstein 3D had a mech in it, So not really different

also that last Wolfenstein that got released is it worth checking out?

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Kazenji
Well the Wolfenstein 3D had a mech in it, So not really different

also that last Wolfenstein that got released is it worth checking out?

What, in the early 90's with mecha hitler? But this looks like there're many mechs, plus in a world where the Nazi's won ww2.

The last wolfenstein was good, imo. It is worth checking out. To me it was a proper installment. Reviews weren't stellar but i thought it was ok. I had no complaints. I'd give it a solid 7/10.

Kazenji
Concept art screens

http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/14/wolfenstein-the-new-order-concept-art-screens-released/

That robodog looks like a Xeno up close with its teeth.

Kazenji
33Ikr4m9Av0

Kazenji
NSuiK8JPgqg

Kazenji
1uPTp1va8uw

Kazenji
BlvfqfGTar4#!

dadudemon
Originally posted by Kazenji
BlvfqfGTar4#!

Looks fun. And the story looks good enough to actually be a good live action film.

Kazenji
So if you decide to preorder this game, You will get access to the Doom 4 Beta.

Ridley_Prime
I wonder if Bethesda will be doing that as well instead of ID Software.

Smasandian
No, ID Software is doing Doom 4. If Doom 4 doesn't do well critically or sell I think that's the last we see of ID Software.

I'm looking forward to this game. I like how they decided to create a SP only game. I hope it works out for them but considering they are getting the time to develop the game, I think it will.

Stealth Moose
Hrm. The budget looks good and the story looks interesting. The gameplay does not grab my interest however. The old school FPS experience looks really dated, with the guns on screen seemingly jarring. It reminds me a lot of Perfect Dark, and that's not a good thing in this sense because the level of immersion suffers from it. And by that I mean the guns just look so static and take up too much screen space like older FPS games. Hopefully one can adjust the FOV to compensate a bit.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
Hrm. The budget looks good and the story looks interesting. The gameplay does not grab my interest however. The old school FPS experience looks really dated, with the guns on screen seemingly jarring. It reminds me a lot of Perfect Dark, and that's not a good thing in this sense because the level of immersion suffers from it. And by that I mean the guns just look so static and take up too much screen space like older FPS games. Hopefully one can adjust the FOV to compensate a bit.

Personally i like the more old school FPS style as i'm getting sick the generic military shooters nowadays.

Smasandian
I think a lot of people are in the same boat.

Will it mean success, who knows. Bulletstorm was pretty good game and a total reversal to generic military shooters and didn't sell all that well.

Ridley_Prime
Oi... That gives me kind of a bad feeling about Wolfenstein and Doom then, about them possibly not selling that well because they're not CoD enough.

But yeah, what Kazenji said in the last post, and that's good to hear about ID still doing Doom at least.

Smasandian
Well, the problem with ID is that they have done one game since Doom 3 and that was Rage. I didn't mind Rage but it wasn't as good as it could be.

Smasandian
I saw a gameplay video today, I think it looks kind of cool.

In the comments, people were saying it was a generic shooter...

No offense to anybody but what shooter is not generic? How many new ideas can you bring to the FPS genre. As long as it's done well, I think that's all that matters. We don't look at movies the same way. A horror movie is a horror movie but if its done well, that's all that matters.

Kazenji
I don't really pay attention to gamers nowadays with comments such as those

even with that new Thief from what i hear they're going on about how the AI is stupid...it was also stupid in the other ones.

Smasandian
I should too.

You know what's funny? For years, AI was something that was vitally important to critics and gamers. You would always hear complaints about the AI.

Now, I rarely see people complaining about AI. Either it's become very good or something is up on how we see and play games.

Personally, along as it's not completely braindead, I don't mind.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Smasandian
I should too.

You know what's funny? For years, AI was something that was vitally important to critics and gamers. You would always hear complaints about the AI.

Now, I rarely see people complaining about AI. Either it's become very good or something is up on how we see and play games.

Personally, along as it's not completely braindead, I don't mind.

A lot of developers just remove the burden of bad AI by scripting useless 'realistic' movements or routines to add superficial depth, or shifting the burden to other players a la PVP. A vast majority of FPS games profit from PVP over say, strong single player campaigns.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
strong single player campaigns.

At the moment this game might just have that since they've said it won't have multiplayer at all.

Smasandian
It does have that but being good is a different matter.

I'm looking forward to it. It looks like that developers were given time to do their job so hopefully it works out.

I hope it sells well because the doom and gloom of SP is always present and having a SP only game (FPS to boot!) that does well is important to keeping SP alive.

BackFire
It depends on the genre, for me. Single player FPS games can benefit a ton from good AI/scripting. The best thing about the Halo games is the AI, imo. And FEAR was most memorable because of the brilliant use of scripting rather than traditional AI.

I think we can thank the COD games for making people not care so much about AI, since those games offer almost no AI in their single player experience other than very remedial behavior such as shooting at the player and throwing grenades at the player, and occasionally taking cover. But they sell so well that other devs have probably realized that spending time creating great AI may not be worth the effort, as it can be an incredibly challenging task.

Smasandian
Look back at Half-Life, the first game that I know that had fantastic AI. It had very barren levels, the scripting was basic and there wasn't a lot of NPC's. (not criticizing it, just pointing out what games used to be like).

Now, games have a thousand things going on a one time. The levels are extremely detailed, the scripting is so advanced with shit flying everywhere and there can be a thousand NPC's in one scene.

All that shit and it's hard to see the AI in the game. Backfire is right that AI has been removed because of CoD, which is funny because it is influenced heavily by Half-Life excellent scripting.

BackFire
Great point. So much stuff is always going on, and AI really hasn't progressed all that much over the last several years. The extra attention goes to other more immediately noticeable things, like buildings blowing up, or cars blowing up, or other things blowing up.

I can't really remember any recent FPS game I played that had truly impressive AI.

Smasandian
I can't think of any games right now.

But I guess if there was, it wouldn't be with enemies but with characters that follow you around.

BackFire
AI partners usually have worse AI from my experience, for whatever reason.

Kazenji
VnioYhknoR8

Estacado
Damn this is actually a 4 disc game...

Kazenji
Yeah for the 360..

meanwhile the PS3 & PS4 gets one disc

but there's a mandatory install for the game 8 GB for last gen.

Kazenji
rE1FAdw2P2M

Estacado
Gonna try it out soon...313
Maybe today or tomorrow.

Smasandian
Found out the key members of Starbreeze during Riddick/Darkness are founders of the developer of this game.

Knowing that, it's probably a buy for me because I loved how they do games.

Estacado
So after playing roughl 6-7 hours Im at chapter 15 game has 17 chapters all together.

You have 3 type of perks 1 is mainly for stealth the other is for weapons and dual wielding the 3rd is for demolotion.
For each you have to do certain task like do 5 stealth kills to get throwing knives or get 10 kills from cover with the pistol to upgrade the amount of ammo you can carry.

Dual wielding is damn fun the weapons are cool game has basic fps mechanics sliding after runing,looking out from cover in all directions,badass stealth kill finishers...etc..so the stuff you find in almost every fps nowdays.

Its a cool fps nothing ground breaking but dont expect the good old black magic stuff from Wolfenstein.The previous game was phuckin great with all the powers upgrades and stuff.Unfortunetly this has none of that.

I give it a 8/10 but the lack of supernatural stuff makes it kinda meh.

Estacado
There are possibly 2 campaigns depending on the choice you make early on in the game.
Im saying possibly cause the menu shows 2 separate campaigns hopefully the story does differ.

Forgot their name so lets call them x and y.

X

chapter 1-17

y

chapter 1-17

since I saved X i cant play the chapters of y.

Smasandian
Reviews are in. Around 80ish. That's pretty good.

It's strange though that one of major complaints is that you need to pick up ammo instead of automatically happening.

Estacado
Beat the game it was fun took me about 8 hours to get to the end.

Last boss fight is kinda meh.

Im doing the 2nd campaign hope it does differ from the previous I finished.

Game is fun but for me the previous one was much better hence the cool powers ,upgrade and the mysticism.

That made it feel like a Wolfenstein game.

Here the robots are pretty lame.

Estacado
Played the 2 chapters of the other campaign.
The difference is the skills you learn you either learn opening mechanic locks with wires or you can lockpick.
Each gets you to different areas of the map so far the maps are the same.

For instance with lockpic you can access the sniper rifle early on while with the wire trick you only get it halfway through the game.

Smasandian
I enjoyed the game. It's solid but there is parts that could be improved (more diversity of enemies and such) but overall, it's a good game.

If you are a shooter fan, definitely play it. For some reason, I got a Dishonered vibe from it. Of course, the game is different but for some reason, that's what I felt.

I do enjoy how ****ing crazy some situations are and the developers held nothing back. Looking forward to inevitable sequel. I just hope they get way from the piece of shit ID Tech 5. For some ****ing reason, they still haven't figure out how to stop the stupid texture pop up that engine does.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Smasandian

It's strange though that one of major complaints is that you need to pick up ammo instead of automatically happening.

Reallly.... erm

seems this generation of gamer's want everything handed to them on a platter in games

also whats the game like on last gen consoles?

Smasandian
I had no problem with it. I can understand the issue slightly in regards to this game but overall, it's not a problem at all.

For example, aside from the stealth sections and/or when you go in stealthy, it's mostly a run and gun type of shooter. Near the end of the game, situations get kind of hairy and having to pick up little bits of ammo here and there can be annoying. Having to pick up ammo/health/armour individually kind of doesn't feel right for the type of game it is. You would be running around trying to evade bullets from guys/mechs and you have to pick up 5 bullets here, 3 bullets there, and the same for armour/health, I can see the point.

In Crysis, having to pick up ammo made sense because the action was very contained from a few guys and the enviroments were so big that you rarely got into crazy gun fights. In this game, every gunfight can be hectic and having to pick up small bits of ammo for each gun you have can be annoying.

But I didn't have a problem. My stance for games like these is that developers should give a choice on how to tailor your game experience. If you don't want the sheen from pickable items, you should be allowed to turn it off and vice versa. How annoying would Forza 5 be if you weren't allowed to fiddle with the difficulty?

I only played it on PC and I would wait once they patch their shitty engine. So much texture popup

Kazenji
Reminds me of some sections from Resistance 2 or 3 from what your talking about there, Which i didn't really have a problem with.

Smasandian
Yep. It is not a problem in my opinion and not really worthy of being mentioned in a review. I can see why people would have a slight issue but overall, it is fine.

It's a good game. Not great but good. I would like to see more single player driven games so I'm hoping this game does well.

Kazenji
I seen one review today saying it may not be as good an FPS as COD..........

no expression

smh....trying to compare it to a CoD game

i'll probably check out the game eventually but i'm glad these sort of games are making some sort of comeback.

Smasandian
Hahaha, I have no idea why somebody would compare it to CoD.

Best comparison is probably Syndicate. Machinegames has ties to Starbreeze and both are updating an old game with newer gameplay mechanics.

Hell, it plays very similar too.

Kazenji
I still need to import that game most likely get it for the PS3 since its region free

with these old games getting updated, I Wouldn't mind seeing the game Blood make a come back...played the first one heaps.

Smasandian
Never played it but it's originally from Monolith Productions, one of my favourite developers so hopefully!

Kazenji
mzGbMjLKHuk

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.