What Superpower would you have?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LeonBuco666
Oh, the all important irrelavent question laughing out loud

After the 'healing factor Vs durability' thread I though about other powers, couldn't think of any to face off so why not more than two?

What power and why? Pick below

1.Super strength(70 tons)
2.Super Speed (Mach 5)
3.Flight
4.Intangibility
6.Invisiblility
7.Telekinesis
9.Genius-level intellect(not a superpower but would you pick this over the others)
10.Shape-shifting
11.To be able to take the physical properties of any inorganic & organic material on earth(what's the name?)

Pick one and say why you would choose it as an individual, and why it would be most practical

JakeTheBank
If #9 is equal to comic book style genius level intellect, than that.

Just look at the shit prep gods like Doom and that idiot Richards pull off.

golem370
Genius because you could possible invent stuff to give you super strength super speed invisibility flight and rich

Lord Feron
Originally posted by LeonBuco666

After the 'healing factor Vs durability' thread I though about other powers, couldn't think of any to face off so why not more than two?

2.Super Speed (Mach 5)
3.Flight
4.Intangibility
6.Invisiblility
7.Telekinesis
9.Genius-level intellect
10.Shape-shifting
11.To be able to take the physical properties of any inorganic & organic material on earth(what's the name?)

Pick one and say why you would choose it as an individual, and why it would be most practical

Like the 1st 2 I think you should put limits on what you can or can't do. I mean Telekensis would be pretty sweet if I can basically give myself flight and lift oceans. Shapeshifting, limited to turning into another person? Limited to living objects?

Without knowing anything else I would do 4 (assuming I can take my clothes with me or other objects living and non living or 7.

4, because I can be anywhere I please and i can never be caught (atleas while im awake) and it would be difficult to harm me. Also can be used offensively.

7 and 10 depending on my power level. Because of the obvious.

armedforbattle
Number 9.
Build Ironman suit.
Acquire abilities 1, 2, 3 & 6.

Digi
I think the more interesting question is power set. Like, strength without durability is a quick death. Flight without some kind of increased resistance or durability is either death or hearing loss. Super speed without durability and enhanced senses is property damage and/or death.

A lot of this also depends on level. We talking low meta level, or mid herald? Big difference in all of these, and it also relates to how I'd place them in reference to things like shape shifting.

Shape shifting is, in theory, a way to immortality. That's a strong candidate. If intellect is comic-style, it's a no-brainer (pun intended). If it's, say, Stephen Hawking intellect, no thanks.

zopzop

2.Super Speed (Mach 5)
3.Flight
4.Intangibility
6.Invisiblility
7.Telekinesis
9.Genius-level intellect(not a superpower but would you pick this over the others)
10.Shape-shifting

You defined the limits of powers 1 and 2 but not the rest.

What's the max flight speed? I assume we can survive going at that speed whatever it is?

How long can you stay intangible? Do you have to breathe or hold your breath like Kitty Pryde does?

How much weight could you lift/push/manipulate with your Telekinesis power?

Define Genius. Is it "comic book level genius" like Lex making a time machine from a tampon or limited to real world stuff?

What's the largest/smallest creature you can shapeshift into? Do you acquire all their characteristics?

Digi
Originally posted by zopzop
You defined the limits of powers 1 and 2 but not the rest.

What's the max flight speed? I assume we can survive going at that speed whatever it is?

How long can you stay intangible? Do you have to breathe or hold your breath like Kitty Pryde does?

How much weight could you lift/push/manipulate with your Telekinesis power?

Define Genius. Is it "comic book level genius" like Lex making a time machine from a tampon or limited to real world stuff?

What's the largest/smallest creature you can shapeshift into? Do you acquire all their characteristics?

This is why this question is so hard to do. It becomes a miserable exercise in minutia.

Leon, I like these types of threads, but here's an idea: do a "Who would you be from {x} power level or lower, and why?" It establishes limits and abilities automatically, and still provides the thrill of "what would you pick?"

Nibedicus
Yeah, if we go by the measurable real world definition of genius, won't that be an IQ score via standardized test in excess of 140 and wouldn't a few ppl here (I assume) already come close to it?

If you mean Reed/Stark/Wayne lvl genius, then yeah, I'll go with that.

LeonBuco666
1.Super strength(70 tons, push pull & lift)
2.Super Speed (Mach 5, air resistance is nil, and you can travel at mach 5 safely)
3.Flight(travel at a maximum of 200 mph, you can do this safely, no air resistance)
4.Intangibility(do this for maximum of 30 seconds, do not have to hold breath, cannot render others intangible)
6.Invisiblility(6 hours of invisiblity able, cannot render others invisible)
7.Telekinesis(maximum weight is 5 tons that you can move and read peoples minds)
9.Genius-level intellect(you would have the intellect of the likes of reed richards, BUT only capable of inventing things that is possible with the tech of today
10.Shape-shifting(any living creature)
11.To be able to take the physical properties of any inorganic material(anything from rock, steel to water, smoke)

Is that narrowed down enough guys? And you can only have ONE power, if you have say telekenisis you cannot amp youself

zopzop
2.Super Speed (Mach 5, air resistance is nil, and you can travel at mach 5 safely)
3.Flight(travel at a maximum of 200 mph, you can do this safely, no air resistance)
4.Intangibility(do this for maximum of 30 seconds, do not have to hold breath, cannot render others intangible)
7.Telekinesis(maximum weight is 5 tons that you can move and read peoples minds)
9.Genius-level intellect(you would have the intellect of the likes of reed richards, BUT only capable of inventing things that is possible with the tech of today
11.To be able to take the physical properties of any inorganic material(anything from rock, steel to water, smoke)

Is that narrowed down enough guys? And you can only have ONE power, if you have say telekenisis you cannot amp youself
There we go.

Ok then I'd go with power 7. With power 11 taking second place and power 10 taking third place.

iscaremonkeys
Genius-level intellect and super speed. Superspeed so i can reverse age and genius intellect so i could make myself like booster gold big grin

MF DELPH
Genius intellect. Particular since life extension tech is being worked on in the here and now, as well as robotics. I would have said shape shifting if it wasn't limited to living creatures only.

-Pr-
1, as long as I get the durability to go with it.

Also, Jake, lose the sig.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by -Pr-
Also, Jake, lose the sig.

But I like it. sad

LeonBuco666
I'd have to use telekinesis myself
Given the ability to read any persons mind and also be able to move things no other human could on the planet would be a bonus, but then again, flight is rather tempting, not even for practical reasons, I'd just love to fly laughing out loud
No but seriously, genius or telekinesis

-Pr-
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
But I like it. sad

For now, then.

JakeTheBank
For now, then.

Funny story: the current set I have was for an online DC RPG I was participating in (minus the JaketheBank text). laughing out loud

-Pr-
Funny story: the current set I have was for an online DC RPG I was participating in (minus the JaketheBank text). laughing out loud

laughing out loud

I regularly play Superman in RPs too.

JakeTheBank
laughing out loud

I regularly play Superman in RPs too.

It was good times.

golem370
With Reed genius you could invent advanced tech and to higher level stuff with the tech you invented.

Cogito
Intellect, followed by telekensis.

I'd use the TK to fly, and other cool shit.

LeonBuco666
Originally posted by Cogito
Intellect, followed by telekensis.

I'd use the TK to fly, and other cool shit.

pym-ftw
I'll be Absorbing Man

Rage.Of.Olympus
Reed level? Yea 9 no contest

SevenShackles
Super strength come with equal disability? Or will I shred my arm off my body hitting something?
What's max speed on flight and movement of objects with TK?

LeonBuco666
Originally posted by SevenShackles
Super strength come with equal disability? Or will I shred my arm off my body hitting something?
What's max speed on flight and movement of objects with TK?
No you can punch something full force and your rm would be fine, you could lift a bus without being crushed under neath the weight
200mph maximum flight speed, already stated before
And what do you mean 'movement of objects'?

h1a8
6.Invisiblility(6 ho,urs of invisiblity able, cannot render others invisible)

A few questions before I make my choice.

2. With speed do we get proportional reflexes (so that we don't run into anything)?
3. With flight what is the limit of durability (can we be shot down or are we completely indestructible and don't need to breath, eat, etc.)?
4. With intangibility, after 30 seconds then how long can must we wait to become intangible again? IMO 30 seconds is too low. An hour is much better.
5. With telekinesis, can we sense minds around us (people sneaking up on us), can we read multiple minds at once, can we use telekinesis for various effects (like forcefields), can we lift or move multiple objects at once (if so then 5 tons for each or 5 tons total weight of all objects)?
7. With physical properties, can we still see, think, and or move while a different physical property (like smoke or water)?

Uriel005
what level of genius are we talking. Also do I get resources to actually implement them. Do I suddenly have magical business savvy that lets me market my ideas to get the funding for them.

LeonBuco666
Originally posted by h1a8
A few questions before I make my choice.

2. With speed do we get proportional reflexes (so that we don't run into anything)? yeah, your reflexes are heightened to keep up with your speed
3. With flight what is the limit of durability (can we be shot down or are we completely indestructible and don't need to breath, eat, etc.)? Think luke cage level, bullet proof skin....no you still have to breath, eat etc, don't see how flight would change that
4. With intangibility, after 30 seconds then how long can must we wait to become intangible again? IMO 30 seconds is too low. An hour is much better.hm, give it 2 minutes before you can become intangible again, and if it wasn't so far into thread I'd change it but I gotta leave it as 30 seconds
5. With telekinesis, can we sense minds around us (people sneaking up on us), can we read multiple minds at once, can we use telekinesis for various effects (like forcefields), can we lift or move multiple objects at once (if so then 5 tons for each or 5 tons total weight of all objects)?5 Tons total all together, no you cannot read multiple minds at once, it'd be just like reading a couple books at same time, far to confusing, and yes you can sense someones....thought processes in a 6 ft spherical perimeter around your body, and no, no forcfields
7. With physical properties, can we still see, think, and or move while a different physical property (like smoke or water)? Think David Banner off of Hulk film(eric bana)...yeah, that hulk laughing out loud but with anything that has a physical property to it, but not if its a living moving thinking creature, heck, anything from lava to liquid nitrogen or solid lead to bubble wrap, but I forgot to mention you can take the phyiscal properties, but still be in your humanoid form, so if you took water on, you'd be like a water man, pretty much impervious to any physical damage, apart from electricy of cause, and if your any gasseous property you can 'float' to a hieght of about 2 stories an you can control the direction you move in

LeonBuco666
Originally posted by Uriel005
what level of genius are we talking. Also do I get resources to actually implement them. Do I suddenly have magical business savvy that lets me market my ideas to get the funding for them. no, you get genius level intellect, but you have to work for you resources & money

Also @anyone else who needs any questions answered, feel free to ask if you are unsure about which to pick

h1a8

Ok thanks.

4 is useless. 6 is nearly useless. 1 doesn't do anything but show off (or get you killed by the government if they find out), 3 can get you killed if government finds out, 10 is ok and has limited uses, 2 is pretty decent tbh.

The choice depends on one's 1st priority

If living indefinitely is 1st priority then
11 is best and then 9.

If becoming rich is 1st priority then
2, 9, 11, and maybe 7 would help (getting sex is a benefit of rich and 7 can help get laid too by reading minds)

If understanding the universe or gaining knowledge is 1st priority then
9 is best then followed by 7 (can read the greatest minds in the world).

If taking over the world or a part of the world is 1st priority then
11 is best followed by 9 and 2.

So IMO
11 is best.
You can gain riches (which leads to sex) and immortality.

Next best is
You have a chance of gaining immortality (potential gaining the power of Q from star trek), power, riches (which can lead to sex), and vast knowledge of the universe

StyleTime
I'd probably go for the telekinesis or the genius level intellect.

The telekinesis is actually two powers, since you get telepathy along with it.

Alias Stone
i would go for 11

Lord Feron
I think OP is confused on what telekinesis is unless he is adding telepathy and telekinesis together. Than yeah that or the intellect.

TheGodKiller
Just look at the shit prep gods like Doom and that idiot Richards pull off.
You just hate Richards because he has been proven on-panel to be Doom's undoubted superior.

TheGodKiller
Number 11 is matter absorption btw.

Tbh, Reality Warping should be a no-brainer for these types of threads.

Mindship
Telekinesis. "Chronicle" demonstrated pretty effectively how you can use it to fly, shield yourself, simulate superstrength. Plus, there's no tell-tale beam or visible energy to dodge or block, so it can be used discreetly, should one choose. In "Modern Problems," Bill Murray also used it to give a woman the "O" of her life.

Originally posted by TheGodKiller
Tbh, Reality Warping should be a no-brainer for these types of threads. I tend to see TK and RW as basically the same power, with TK being a low-end application and RW being high-end.

h1a8
Just to be clear. OP said that with telekinesis you can't create force fields. You can only read 1 mind at a time and they have to be 6ft within your location.

With 11 you can live forever, be rich, and take over the world

With 9 you have the potential of being Q like (from star trek). That means you have the potential to gain all these powers and also live forever. But it is a risk though. You can only achieve things that are possible in the real world. We don't know the limits of the real world.

Mindship
Just read this: no TK forcefields? Technically, you're not setting up a field of force, just controlling the object's motion. There is no barrier, per se, for the object to bounce off of; it just doesn't move closer to you than you want. I mean, if you can move an object toward you, you can move it away from you. Again, "Chronicle" shows how it's done. It's just motion control, also like in "Push." For that matter, Neo used TK in the manner I described as well when stopping bullets.

h1a8
Originally posted by Mindship
Just read this: no TK forcefields? Technically, you're not setting up a field of force, just controlling the object's motion. There is no barrier, per se, for the object to bounce off of; it just doesn't move closer to you than you want. I mean, if you can move an object toward you, you can move it away from you. Again, "Chronicle" shows how it's done. It's just motion control, also like in "Push." For that matter, Neo used TK in the manner I described as well when stopping bullets. Force fields are very different. You don't have to have reflexes.
You can't stop a bullet because you are not fast enough to act. But with a force field you don't have to be.

golem370
I think this thread needed Immortaility & Indestructible as choices

in this case, we wouldnt have the intellect of reed richards as his intelligence is defined by his mad science.

anyway, 7 is the best power all around.

h1a8
Originally posted by 753
in this case, we wouldnt have the intellect of reed richards as his intelligence is defined by his mad science.

anyway, 7 is the best power all around.

With 9 it's possible to achieve 7
Remember not only we get Reed's learning ability but his factual knowledge. If any of that knowledge can pertain to reality then we have it.

Also you can't create force fields with 7. That means you can be shot with a bullet and killed.

With 11 you are immortal, can take over the world, and can be rich.

Mindship
Force fields are very different. You don't have to have reflexes.
You can't stop a bullet because you are not fast enough to act. But with a force field you don't have to be. True, once the bullet's in motion. But if you're anticipating being shot, situational awareness, TK style, would protect you, especially once it becomes second nature. And of course, you could still ward off any attack within your reflex speed and power scope.

since 9 is bound by both real world physics and currently extant technology, it isn't even close to comic book superintelligence, while the other powers aren't similarly limited by reality.

11 may grant immortality, but only in inorganic forms, which to me is unnapealing.

7 grants flight, mind-reading and 5 ton remote projection of force (OP didnt specify a distance, but I'm assuming it's field of vision). since there's no limit on fine control, TK manipulation of one's own metabolism allows many physiological improvements, including enhanced damage soak and cicatrization and retarded aging.

h1a8
Originally posted by 753
since 9 is bound by both real world physics and currently extant technology, it isn't even close to comic book superintelligence, while the other powers aren't similarly limited by reality.

11 may grant immortality, but only in inorganic forms, which to me is unnapealing.

7 grants flight, mind-reading and 5 ton remote projection of force (OP didnt specify a distance, but I'm assuming it's field of vision). since there's no limit on fine control, TK manipulation of one's own metabolism allows many physiological improvements, including enhanced damage soak and cicatrization and retarded aging.

Yes 9 is bound by real world physics. But we know next to jack shit about real world physics. Our ignorance of the universe is vast.

If Reed contains knowledge far above us then the potential he can bring is substantial. But I admit it is a risk. It all depends if what he knows coincide with the real world. We have no way of knowing that.

Reed created his technology. All you would need is money. He even created an artificial intelligence to help him.

11 grants riches and the ability to take over the world.

7 may grant flight but you still can't react faster than a bullet. Your reactions just don't increase. You can be killed with utmost ease. Also they have REAL weapons that exert forces far above 5 tons.

LOL, you would have to know how to physiologically improve yourself. This is not possible without genius.

StyleTime

7 may grant flight but you still can't react faster than a bullet. Your reactions just don't increase. You can be killed with utmost ease. Also they have REAL weapons that exert forces far above 5 tons.

Dude, no one knows you have the powers. You're at no more risk of being shot than you normally would be.

In fact, you're probably less likely to be shot since you've got TELEKINESIS AND TELEPATHY.

Lord Prime
1. 9
2. 7
3. 11

h1a8
Originally posted by StyleTime
Dude, no one knows you have the powers. You're at no more risk of being shot than you normally would be.

In fact, you're probably less likely to be shot since you've got TELEKINESIS AND TELEPATHY.

Wrong. There are satellites that can see you anywhere. So what good is TK if you are not going to use it to lead a happier life or achieve your goal in life?

If anyone sees you and reports it then the government will watch you.

Remember TP is limited to 6ft. There could be someone behind you more than 6ft away that you can't detect.

Bottomline:
With TK and TP you would have a hard time being rich or achieving immortality or long life. Plus people get killed anyway by accident.

With 9 you can possibly gain TK and TP if it is universe possible.

Yes 9 is bound by real world physics. But we know next to jack shit about real world physics. Our ignorance of the universe is vast.

If Reed contains knowledge far above us then the potential he can bring is substantial. But I admit it is a risk. It all depends if what he knows coincide with the real world. We have no way of knowing that.

Reed created his technology. All you would need is money. He even created an artificial intelligence to help him.
we know enough to know the vast majority of reed's tech is impossible. op has also limited 9 to creating things current tech allows.

how?

it doesnt matter. no one would know you have the power
of course it is possible seen as we already know how our physiologies could be improved

h1a8
Originally posted by Mindship
True, once the bullet's in motion. But if you're anticipating being shot, situational awareness, TK style, would protect you, especially once it becomes second nature. And of course, you could still ward off any attack within your reflex speed and power scope.
Once the bullet is in motion then you are shot. Your reflexes are not fast enough to perceive the bullet the moment it enters the air.

Originally posted by 753
we know enough to know the vast majority of reed's tech is impossible. op has also limited 9 to creating things current tech allows.

how?

it doesnt matter. no one would know you have the power
of course it is possible seen as we already know how our physiologies could be improved

No we don't. Our ignorance is infinite.
The only thing that can be proven impossible is a self contradiction. Did Reed create anything that is a self contradiction?

Everyone would see you have the power if you perform it while they are aware.

It's not possible unless you are genius. No one knows what to do to their dna or molecules to make them better by default. You have a better chance of phucking something up than improving something.

Once the bullet is in motion then you are shot. Your reflexes are not fast enough to perceive the bullet the moment it enters the air.

No we don't. Our ignorance is infinite.
The only thing that can be proven impossible is a self contradiction. Did Reed create anything that is a self contradiction?

Everyone would see you have the power if you perform it while they are aware.

It's not possible unless you are genius. No one knows what to do to their dna or molecules to make them better by default. You have a better chance of phucking something up than improving something. it's like you dont know anything about anything but math.
we do know his shit is impossible, because it contradicts all manner of observable phenomena. most of it is completely imaginary

no one would see anything - TK force is invisible and TP would be likewise undetectable

facepalm again, you seem to know next to nothing of our understanding of genetics and physiology. we know a lot about how we heal, age and get sick. with tk, you could stop bleeding, perform surgery, filter pathogens, eliminate viral receptors in cell membranes, accelerate reaction cascades involved in coagulation and cicatrization, alter gene translation, so on and so forth. even lasting benefficial changes at the genetic level are already possible with our understanding of gene sequence, coded content and position in the chromosome. none of which requires comic book genius, only currently existing knowledge.

Rao Kal El
What will be exactly "Genius level intellect" IQ of 145?

Einstein was a Genius but He never became Iron Man and He was above 145.

So what will it mean being a genius?

Lord Feron
Originally posted by Rao Kal El
What will be exactly "Genius level intellect" IQ of 145?

Einstein was a Genius but He never became Iron Man and He was above 145.

So what will it mean being a genius?

He stated reed level so yeah thats pretty above anything in our reality...

h1a8
Originally posted by 753
it's like you dont know anything about anything but math.
we do know his shit is impossible, because it contradicts all manner of observable phenomena. most of it is completely imaginary

no one would see anything - TK force is invisible and TP would be likewise undetectable

facepalm again, you seem to know next to nothing of our understanding of genetics and physiology. we know a lot about how we heal, age and get sick. with tk, you could stop bleeding, perform surgery, filter pathogens, eliminate viral receptors in cell membranes, accelerate reaction cascades involved in coagulation and cicatrization, alter gene translation, so on and so forth. even lasting benefficial changes at the genetic level are already possible with our understanding of gene sequence, coded content and position in the chromosome. none of which requires comic book genius, only currently existing knowledge.

I'm referring to self contradiction (a paradox). Not something that we think contradict what we see in real life. Our science knowledge is incomplete. We know next to nothing. Stop overestimating real humans.

To make improvements you have to know your own dna and how it works. You also need to know how to change it to make it better (or improved).

I agree you can stop yourself from bleeding or perform surgery (if you know what you are doing) or filter pathogens etc. I thought you were talking about improve yourself like make yourself a superbeing or something (by changing the dna).

LeonBuco666
Originally posted by Lord Feron
I think OP is confused on what telekinesis is unless he is adding telepathy and telekinesis together. Than yeah that or the intellect. im not confused its telekinesis + telepathy

yeah I got it.
our understanding may be incomplete, but that doesn't mean events contradicting observable physical laws are possible.

all that requires is sufficient knowledge of genetics, really. it's not even difficult to have access to if you know how to interpret it.

h1a8
Originally posted by 753
yeah I got it.
our understanding may be incomplete, but that doesn't mean events contradicting observable physical laws are possible.

all that requires is sufficient knowledge of genetics, really. it's not even difficult to have access to if you know how to interpret it.

The average person don't understand genetics. It takes years of learning just to be competent with it. And even then I'm fairly sure no one knows how to alter the dna to create a superbeing. Maybe they do, but that knowledge isn't widely available.

Do you have any concrete examples of events contradicting observable physical laws? I mean Reed doesn't always state the details of how he created something or achieved something.

Einstein was once thought to be a crackpot. His theory contradicted Newton Laws. But we see that Newton Laws were incomplete.

LeonBuco666
What 753 is trying to say is all you need is a basic understanding of genetics and physiology to be able to know what cells membranes etc to be able to over ride given your "mental" prowess, i agree
But i also agree with h1a8 that we know next to nothing about pretty much anything, and that earths history is like a tiny tiny blip in space/time

Mindset

That doesn't mean anything.

If you had Reed level intellect the tech of today isn't a limitation, because you would be coming up with more advanced tech in like a week.

LeonBuco666
Originally posted by Mindset
That doesn't mean anything.

If you had Reed level intellect the tech of today isn't a limitation, because you would be coming up with more advanced tech in like a week. plausible

The average person don't understand genetics. It takes years of learning just to be competent with it. And even then I'm fairly sure no one knows how to alter the dna to create a superbeing. Maybe they do, but that knowledge isn't widely available.
I'm a biologist and while my field of expertise is ecology, not genetics, my grasp of it is sufficient and could be expanded by more focused study. I never made any mention to superpower development.

faster than light travel; timetravel; perpetual movement machines; etc.
it's not just the misused scientific concepts or the thermodynamic and relativistic constraints he rapes on a semidaily basis either. most of his inventions are purely imaginary and dont even make sense.

Mindset
plausible No, it's a certainty.

Reed is about 100x smarter than anyone who has ever lived.

JakeTheBank
No, it's a certainty.

thumb up

And Doom is unquantifiably smarter than anyone who has ever lived.

LeonBuco666
No, it's a certainty.

No its plausible
He may be far smarter than anyone on the planet, but real world tech of today has its limits, its plausible(most likely though)

h1a8
Originally posted by 753
I'm a biologist and while my field of expertise is ecology, not genetics, my grasp of it is sufficient and could be expanded by more focused study. I never made any mention to superpower development.

faster than light travel; timetravel; perpetual movement machines; etc.
it's not just the misused scientific concepts or the thermodynamic and relativistic constraints he rapes on a semidaily basis either. most of his inventions are purely imaginary and dont even make sense.

Faster than light travel is possible according to some theories. One tenure Physicist from Oxford I believe wrote a book about it. Recently they measure some particle to move faster than light. Was that a couple of years ago?

Time travel to future is possible. To past, maybe not. With string theory there are infinite parallel universes. So that traveling to the past would mean traveling to a parallel universe instead.

Perpetual motion is most likely impossible (mainly because of friction or drag forces). But where did the energy that the universe is made of come from? Was it always there? If so then why did it have to be that amount? Why couldn't it have been infinite (if it isn't) or nil?

TBH, I don't recall any perpetual motion machines or any violating of thermodaynamics. We don't know the nature of how he achieve ftl travel so he may not have raped relativity.

There is another theory of the universe that can't be proven false (doesn't mean it is true either). It can explain why the speed of light is constant (without the relativity consequences). Here it is:

AqnEGu8VF8Y

Mindset
No its plausible
He may be far smarter than anyone on the planet, but real world tech of today has its limits, its plausible(most likely though) What limits are there specifically?

Faster than light travel is possible according to some theories. One tenure Physicist from Oxford I believe wrote a book about it. Recently they measure some particle to move faster than light. Was that a couple of years ago?
the existence of particles that constantly move faster than photons has been demonstrated, but this doesn't make ftl travel any more possible for us, beacuse it's not possible to accelerate matter beyond c.

the twins paradox? it would take some extreme acceleration to retard aging appreciably for the process to be considered an actual trip into the future, maybe more than is feasible, though I wont bother looking into it.

what prevents it are the first 2 laws of thermodynamics.

as I understand it, the total energy content of the universe is finite and the same as it was in the hypercondensed state immediately prior to early expansion, i.e. the big bang.

he probably created one. whatever.

LeonBuco666
What limits are there specifically? well, there is no tech today we no off, that could protect us from going faster than light, if we did, we'd simply disintigrate
We cannot alter DNA to make our minds or bodies stronger in any way with the tech of today
Space travel to other galaxies, solar systems etc are..... Not reachable, hell we cant even get out of our own solar system.
There are many other limits but i will be here all day

Silent Master
Even if you can't do things like make dimensional portals or FTL starships, Reed level intellect should be more than enough to advance our tech by a few hundred years.

LeonBuco666
Originally posted by Silent Master
Even if you can't do things like make dimensional portals or FTL starships, Reed level intellect should be more than enough to advance our tech by a few hundred years. comic book universal laws differ a lot from real world universal laws
A few decades, yes
Half a century? Maybe
A century, certainly not
FTL is beyond the confines for the human body, no tech, not material can with stand going the speed of light, never mind faster, as our bodies would simply de-organise itself on a molecular level
Any kind of space travel which involves leaving our solar system with today current tech are very unlikely, your "spaceship" would most likely need to move at light speeds to get to the end of the solar system before the crew on board are dead, the only other way i can think of is if you said a couple million people up there in one big as ship, but no 1.the ship would be unable to leave the atmosphere because it would be far to big, hell i couldn't see it leaving the ground, two, it takes billions of dollars & pounds to send satellites into orbit, a spaceship that vast, that much material(metals etc) food, fuel etc its just not possible

Mindset
well, there is no tech today we no off, that could protect us from going faster than light, if we did, we'd simply disintigrate
We cannot alter DNA to make our minds or bodies stronger in any way with the tech of today
Space travel to other galaxies, solar systems etc are..... Not reachable, hell we cant even get out of our own solar system.
There are many other limits but i will be here all day This post doesn't really have anything to do with my point.

None of those have to do with Reed level intellect allowing you to easily advance tech way beyond where it is now.

Silent Master
comic book universal laws differ a lot from real world universal laws
A few decades, yes
Half a century? Maybe
A century, certainly not
FTL is beyond the confines for the human body, no tech, not material can with stand going the speed of light, never mind faster, as our bodies would simply de-organise itself on a molecular level
Any kind of space travel which involves leaving our solar system with today current tech are very unlikely, your "spaceship" would most likely need to move at light speeds to get to the end of the solar system before the crew on board are dead, the only other way i can think of is if you said a couple million people up there in one big as ship, but no 1.the ship would be unable to leave the atmosphere because it would be far to big, hell i couldn't see it leaving the ground, two, it takes billions of dollars & pounds to send satellites into orbit, a spaceship that vast, that much material(metals etc) food, fuel etc its just not possible

Using "real world universal laws" none of the powers listed in the OP would exist, yet they are for the purposes of this thread, so some leeway is obviously being granted.

This post doesn't really have anything to do with my point.

None of those have to do with Reed level intellect allowing you to easily advance tech way beyond where it is now.

Exactly, if Reed had been around in the early 1900's, we'd have had things like cell phones and the internet by 1920 if not sooner.

StyleTime
Wrong. There are satellites that can see you anywhere. So what good is TK if you are not going to use it to lead a happier life or achieve your goal in life?

If anyone sees you and reports it then the government will watch you.

Remember TP is limited to 6ft. There could be someone behind you more than 6ft away that you can't detect.

Nope. Believe it or not, your every actions aren't being monitored by some super satellite. We'd have a lot less criminals out there if they were.

How will they know you did it? Why would anyone in real life believe them? How will they prove what they saw?

The sensing is limited to 6ft, not the mind reading. There is no particular reason you'd have to watch your back unless you led a dangerous life before you got the powers. Even in that case, the powers would only help.

LeonBuco666
This post doesn't really have anything to do with my point.

None of those have to do with Reed level intellect allowing you to easily advance tech way beyond where it is now. it could advance tech yes, but not "in like a week" it could advance tech with at least 2-3 years research
For one i see him having a hard time inventing AI
Artificial intelligence, thats acts like a human is simply, not possible, not even remotely currently. As you would have to program it to talk, i don't know how you would even program it to think like a human without it malfunctioning, to feel emotion, to know when somebody has insulted it or complemented it.
It would take decades of research, and billions of dollars to even get the first basic ape-like behaviour, which is then pointless as apes are one stupid and two fight for food, water and are solely based on who is most dominant
There is a limitation

Mindset
it could advance tech yes, but not "in like a week" it could advance tech with at least 2-3 years research
For one i see him having a hard time inventing AI
Artificial intelligence, thats acts like a human is simply, not possible, not even remotely currently. As you would have to program it to talk, i don't know how you would even program it to think like a human without it malfunctioning, to feel emotion, to know when somebody has insulted it or complemented it.
It would take decades of research, and billions of dollars to even get the first basic ape-like behaviour, which is then pointless as apes are one stupid and two fight for food, water and are solely based on who is most dominant
There is a limitation No, in a week, and that's lowballing.

Do you know who Reed is?

I don't know why you keep bringing up random things that no one has mentioned...

LeonBuco666
No, in a week, and that's lowballing.

Do you know who Reed is?

I don't know why you keep bringing up random things that no one has mentioned...
No, not in a week
Of course not i just liked how reeds first a second name came together nicely, of course i do
You asked for limitations, specifically, there i have mentioned 3 or four specific limitations
Please, enlighten me on how reed could advance tech "in like a week"
What tech specifically?
Because reed level intellect can still fit into the universal laws, the other have been placed to defy universal laws thats why others have been arguing about which power would get you killed & shit
But yes, please enlighten me

JakeTheBank
The costumes alone for the Fantastic Four would be a huge boon for mankind.

Mindset
Yes, a week.

It seems like you do just like his name, you obviously aren't aware of what he can do. Reed could solve the limitations in the interface between bionics and synapses in a week.

I asked for tech limitations that would disallow you from advancing it.

You have been enlightened, now get out of my face.

Silent Master
Why wouldn't Reed be able to create an AI using real world tech?

Edit: Let me guess; the argument is that no real world computer would have the processing power needed to run such a program, right?

Mindset
He just pmed me and admitted that he doesn't know who Reed is.

He also apologized for wasting my time.

LeonBuco666
Yes, a week.

It seems like you do just like his name, you obviously aren't aware of what he can do. Reed could solve the limitations in the interface between bionics and synapses in a week.

I asked for tech limitations that would disallow you from advancing it.

You have been enlightened, now get out of my face. oh, believe me i know who he is
But you obviously cannot prove to me how he could do it in a week, although i agree he can advance tech, just not in a week

LeonBuco666
He just pmed me and admitted that he doesn't know who Reed is.

He also apologized for wasting my time. Wtf are you talking about, i wouldn't waste my time doing that tbh, and even if i did do that, i would be lying, like you are

Mindset
I can't prove he could advance tech in a billion years if you're going to ignore his comic feats.

Mindset
Wtf are you talking about, i wouldn't waste my time doing that tbh, and even if i did do that, i would be lying, like you are I've never lied on here.

Apology accepted.

LeonBuco666
I can't prove he could advance tech in a billion years if you're going to ignore his comic feats. im not ignoring his comic feats but i already stated hes limited to the tech of today, and what the universal laws has to offer

LeonBuco666
I've never lied on here.

Apology accepted. im going to ignore you from now on, if you keep producing bullshit like this anyway

Mindset
im not ignoring his comic feats but i already stated hes limited to the tech of today, and what the universal laws has to offer So like I said, there's no way to prove he could advance tech in any amount of time if you ignore comic feats; which you are having to do by what are argument essentially boils down to: "that's a comic, it can't happen in real life!".

Mindset
im going to ignore you from now on, if you keep producing bullshit like this anyway Stop trying to show off in front of these guys, I already accepted your apology.

Silent Master
What about "the tech of today, and what the universal laws has to offer" would stop him from creating an AI?

Mindset
What about "the tech of today, and what the universal laws has to offer" would stop him from creating an AI? He doesn't know.

LeonBuco666
So like I said, there's no way to prove he could advance tech in any amount of time if you ignore comic feats; which you are having to do by what are argument essentially boils down to: "that's a comic, it can't happen in real life!". ...............do comic book feats align to the real world, like someone making a time machine out of a cola can and fishing wire? No its not possible is it? So the is reed intellect in real world, i never said he cannot advance tech, but hes not doing it in a week, maybe minor things but its takin a couple years for major stuff

Mindset
I gave an example of something major that he could advance in a week based on his record, your response was basically "nuh uh".

Nibedicus
...............do comic book feats align to the real world, like someone making a time machine out of a cola can and fishing wire? No its not possible is it? So the is reed intellect in real world, i never said he cannot advance tech, but hes not doing it in a week, maybe minor things but its takin a couple years for major stuff

Reed has the processing power of a football-stadium-sized supercomputer and the creativity of a 12 year old artist savant who's high on PCP, I think it's entirely possible tbh.

LeonBuco666
What about "the tech of today, and what the universal laws has to offer" would stop him from creating an AI?

I already said he has to find the money to do all the things you say he can do and find resources
Do you have any idea how much money and resources he gonna need for even the most simple ape like behaviour systems
Which would include;
Integration of single thought processes
Understanding actions(wave;hello & goodbye)
Telling the difference between living and not living
Emotions
Territorial
All of these things would have to be programmed into a super computer hardrive
Its far to complex for todays tech, although in a couple a years he could do it i very much doubt a week

Silent Master
Given Reed level intellect and a few mintues to hack, congrats you just won a few hundred million dollars via the lottery.

LeonBuco666
Given Reed level intellect and a few mintues to hack, congrats you just won a few hundred million dollars via the lottery. he hacks the lottery??? :s

Silent Master
he hacks the lottery??? :s

You believe that is beyond the ability of someone with Reed level intellect?

LeonBuco666
You believe that is beyond the ability of someone with Reed level intellect? were im from you cant "hack" the lottery, simply because its basically just a machine with balls inside that drop out random numbers on the balls, which you supoosed to get. So the lottery may differ were your from

Silent Master
were im from you cant "hack" the lottery, simply because its basically just a machine with balls inside that drop out random numbers on the balls, which you supoosed to get. So the lottery may differ were your from

The machines that print the tickets can be hacked, creating a record that you bought the winning ticket. If that doesn't work he could always hack a casino or bank.

Or just take a day and write the best anti-virus program in the world.

LeonBuco666
The machines that print the tickets can be hacked, creating a record that you bought the winning ticket. If that doesn't work he could always hack a casino or bank.

Or just take a day and write the best anti-virus program in the world. yeah, see we have different lottery schemes
Ill agree with you that i don't think there is any firewall on the planet redd couldn't get through

iscaremonkeys
He just pmed me and admitted that he doesn't know who Reed is. where has he been for the last 52 years?

LeonBuco666
Originally posted by iscaremonkeys
where has he been for the last 52 years? i obviously never pm'd him saying that i never pm'd him saying anything, hes a liarlaughing out loud

Mindset
Leon, there's no need to lie, friend.

CPT Space Bomb
Flight. Invulnerability second. Super Strength third.

LeonBuco666
Leon, there's no need to lie, friend. stop trolling and lieing, im no friend of yours and your no friend of mine

Mindset
stop trolling and lieing, im no friend of yours and your no friend of mine More lies, best friend.

this thread has suddenly become entertaining

h1a8
Reed would be able to do anything that is possible in the universe.
If it's possible to change the dna to create super powers then he would be able to do it.
If it's possible to warp space (like star trek) then he would be able to do it.
If it's possible to negate the effects of gravity in order to fly a ship off the planet without using fossil fuels then he would be able to do it.
I can go on and on.

LeonBuco666
Reed would be able to do anything that is possible in the universe.
If it's possible to change the dna to create super powers then he would be able to do it.
If it's possible to warp space (like star trek) then he would be able to do it.
If it's possible to negate the effects of gravity in order to fly a ship off the planet without using fossil fuels then he would be able to do it.
I can go on and on. but none of those things are possible, this is stupid, we're not getting anywhere

-Pr-
It was good times.

I still do it. laughing out loud

Badabing
Leon, stop trolling, bashing and lying about Mindset.

laughing out loud

Nibedicus
Warping drive is actually a possibility.

http://www.examiner.com/article/nasa-scientists-working-on-making-star-trek-s-warp-drive-a-reality

LeonBuco666
Originally posted by Badabing
Leon, stop trolling, bashing and lying about Mindset.

laughing out loud i just can help myself laughing out loud Happy Dance
No but really mindset is very phucking annoying

Silent Master
Most of the tech we use everyday was at one time thought to be impossible, for all we know interstellar flight might be normal in a few hundred years.

Nibedicus
Most of the tech we use everyday was at one time thought to be impossible, for all we know interstellar flight might be normal in a few hundred years.

A few HUNDRED years?? :O

http://www.examiner.com/article/nasa-scientists-working-on-making-star-trek-s-warp-drive-a-reality

Badabing
i just can help myself laughing out loud Happy Dance
No but really mindset is very phucking annoying You should still respect that he's an admin on KMC.

LeonBuco666
You should still respect that he's an admin on KMC. so because hes an admin he can troll and lie about other users :s
Thats not fair bada

MF DELPH
Reed + Kickstarter = a tech firm in 2-3 months, Apple in a year, and Google + Apple + Samsung + NASA + DARPA in 18-24 months. Beyond that we're talking super advanced versions of the international space station and terraforming our solar system within a decade.

Nibedicus
My one worry about being Reed smart is that I can actually imagine you possibly losing interest in all social interaction.

Imagine being so smart that everyone you talk to sounds like a 12 year old special ed kid. You'd stop wanting to talk to people altogether. And I can imagine most everyone not wanting to talk to you at all.

MF DELPH
I doubt that would be an issue. My lust for round female booty wouldn't be impeded by my genius. If anything it's an avenue to higher quality and quantity.

Hell, Reed has Sue.

Badabing
so because hes an admin he can troll and lie about other users :s
Thats not fair bada What's not fair is Mindset trying to be friends with you and all he gets in return is your name calling and bullying! erm

Mindset
What's not fair is Mindset trying to be friends with you and all he gets in return is your name calling and bullying! erm With some people, the reward for friendship is animosity.

erm

LeonBuco666
What's not fair is Mindset trying to be friends with you and all he gets in return is your name calling and bullying! erm he not trying to be friends bada, hes saying i pm'd saying i dont know anything about reed saying i apolagized, i liked the guy until then i havent got a problem with him now anyways, it was stupid and its been left

Nibedicus
I dunno, so far all I see are sincere appeals to best friendship from, it musta gotten lost in translation.

I suggest you apologize.

Badabing
With some people, the reward for friendship is animosity.

erm Don't worry, you'll always be my e-bff! Originally posted by LeonBuco666
he not trying to be friends bada, hes saying i pm'd saying i dont know anything about reed saying i apolagized, i liked the guy until then i havent got a problem with him now anyways, it was stupid and its been left You're just a mean cyber-bully! ahuh

Nibedicus
Originally posted by MF DELPH
I doubt that would be an issue. My lust for round female booty wouldn't be impeded by my genius. If anything it's an avenue to higher quality and quantity.

Hell, Reed has Sue.

There is only so much booty one can want. Eventually, once your physical needs are met, you'll long for a higher level of connection. Especially given the level of enlightenment you'd achieve with Reed-level intellect, you'd literally crave it.

I'd still take the intellect, but I'd prolly take whatever the "dumb" drug that was featured in that Dr House episode just so I can interact socially with everyone else.

Uriel005
...............do comic book feats align to the real world, like someone making a time machine out of a cola can and fishing wire? No its not possible is it? So the is reed intellect in real world, i never said he cannot advance tech, but hes not doing it in a week, maybe minor things but its takin a couple years for major stuff IIRC Moore's law projects we will have enough processing power by 2029 to emulate a human brain. This would be on the slow side if we could figure out how to stop the decay of quantum bits. So yes the processing power should be here in most of our lifetimes.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.