Dragon Ball Z Battle of Z

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
AyK1_rEWBII

Estacado
Put Broly in and Im sold....313

Ridley_Prime
I want to beat Broly with Bills... Is that Super Saiyan God Goku near the end or just him using Kaioken? Always hard to tell the difference.

Regardless, this sure looks different (in a good way) from your usual recycled DBZ games, even if the art style is still pretty much the same. You surprise me for once Namco.

Phanteros
Looks bland

Ridley_Prime
I was mainly talking about the teamwork with the characters that seems to be quite involved in the gameplay for once (not everything's 1 on 1 now in other words). Everything else though, yeah.

Kento
They are actually putting Guldo in a game?

Ridley_Prime
I thought he and all the other midgets like Babidi were in Budokai Tenkaichi 3.

Kento
I don't remember,

Kazenji
Haven't played a DBZ game since the PS2.

Ridley_Prime
BT3 was on the PS2. erm

On a side note, this was probably the best competitive DBZ fighter, even though it was under the radar compared to all the ones Namco developed. The roster size wasn't ridiculously large, each of the characters (even those that were similar) actually had their own unique combos, etc. Not having overpowered phags like Broly or Gogeta probably also helped far as balancing.

WjsmrtdBNls

Kazenji
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
BT3 was on the PS2. erm

Was that directed at Kento?

Ridley_Prime
Nah. With what you last said...

Originally posted by Kazenji
Haven't played a DBZ game since the PS2.
it should've been obvious that the BT3 being on the PS2 part was directed at you.

Kazenji
Nah. With what you last said...

Well i wasn't correcting you if that's what you were thinking.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted in another thread, but I guess since this is the best place to have it posted in...

WwIs718L2eU

Even if the gameplay does have a lot of recycled stuff from previous Namco-made DBZ titles, this still seems like it'll be worth it for me for the co-op alone which I'm a little more hyped for after seeing the kind of "dream teams" players can have, and kinda digging the english voices for Bills and SSG Goku towards the end too.

juggerman
Not gonna lie.... I'm turned on

Ridley_Prime
So yeah, the free demo for this game that came out recently is pretty fun, having both co-op and online versus and all, even if the only characters available for it are Goku, Piccolo, Krillen, and Kid Gohan, and Nappa's the only mission you can do co-op on.

Still, from a first impression, definitely like the controls better than the other DBZ games of last gen, even if they take a little getting used to at first like with blocking, and Namco definitely seems to have done a good job with the gameplay co-op, which I guess you'll be able to do with most levels of the story (teaming up with friends as different Z-fighters to beat Frieza on the campaign, etc). The level up system is also kinda enticing, especially if the leveling up you do on the demo carries over to the main game which I'm guessing it will.

This'll be the first new DBZ game I'll have gotten in a long time. Still lookin forward to playing as Bills too.

Kazenji
Read that there's still a single player mode which is good, I'll give the Co-op mode a missed...see what happens anyway.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Kazenji
AyK1_rEWBII

Those aren't real people! That's fake!

Estacado
So did anyone get this?
I read that only certain characters have ultimate attacks like Goku(spirit bomb) SSJ2 Gohan...

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Estacado
So did anyone get this?
I read that only certain characters have ultimate attacks like Goku(spirit bomb) SSJ2 Gohan...
The game doesn't come out till next week. lol But I'll be getting it sometime then.

And that kinda comes with the territory. The weak fodder/filler characters (Cell Jr, etc.) tend to never have a super ultimate attack of some kind for the most part like in previous games (fittingly if anything), so that's nothing new.

Estacado
The game doesn't come out till next week. lol But I'll be getting it sometime then.

And that kinda comes with the territory. The weak fodder/filler characters (Cell Jr, etc.) tend to never have a super ultimate attack of some kind for the most part like in previous games (fittingly if anything), so that's nothing new.
Super Vegeta and Super Vegito are dlc that's lame.....

Ridley_Prime
Weird. Super Vegeta is just a substitute for before he reaches SSJ2 anyway right? Super Vegito being DLC is lame though, I agree.

Oh, it appears Super Vegito and Super Saiyan Bardock are actually pre-order offers, later to be DLC presumably. I might pre-order that sucker tomorrow then before it comes out Tuesday.

Huh, so Big Gete Star Cooler is also a giant boss in addition to Hirudegarn and the Oozarus. Sweet.

Oh yeah, also like how the game seems to be completely devoid of GT content (including SSJ4 forms and stuff) in favor of Battle of the Gods. lol

Kazenji
Originally posted by dadudemon
Those aren't real people! That's fake!

WHAT YOUR ****ING SERIOUS!!

thanks for ruining my perception of life itself.

Estacado
So there is no offline multiplayer in this.
WTF?

Ridley_Prime
So there is no offline multiplayer in this.
WTF?
As in no split-screen or whatever? Eh, not that much a loss if you ask me. If I wanted to play some DBZ with a local friend that badly I'd just pop in one of the Budokais/Tenkaichis or something. Still, it is kind of a disheartening practice for games nowdays to only have multiplayer online or offline as opposed to both.

I'm curious if this will have some of the classic modes like the whole World Tournament thing. Won't be that disappointed if it doesn't (with everything else this game seems to have), but would be nice.

If nothing else, Hercule for DLC please! Roster could still use some of the goofier characters for more flavor.

Estacado
As in no anything.
Not even player vs cpu.
That sucks for me since I dont play online.
For singleplayer there is only story.
Got it for my haxxbox gonna pop it in and tell the details.

Ridley_Prime
Oh, right.

Well I'm kind of a big online player, so I guess this game wouldn't quite be the thing for those who aren't. Not that I condone the lack of offline features, but I'm just glad they're finally trying something different from the same old rehashes (Raging Blasts, etc.) which is why the co-op in story campaign and online appeals to me as much as it does. If it didn't have those, then I could probably care less about the game, despite having the new faces like Bills.

Forgot to comment on it earlier, but the visuals/details of the background environments are also pretty impressive for a DBZ game. Just wish they would do away with the "plastic" looking character models in the future. I know they can do better than that, and get kinda tired of seeing 'em now.

Estacado
In short for singleplayer there is only mission mode no training or vs.
There are 60 missions total in some you play as good in some you play as evil in movie or alternate ones you can use both.
After each mission you earn xp and 2 different points one is for how well you did in the mission the other is for how much energy you gathered.
From these points you can buy items or temporarly or for permanent boost like 25+health ,speed,meele ,ki etc some permanent items give you powerboost in air or ground allows you to use more ki.
Temporarly items have to be bought again after each mission they can give you invincibility for 30 sec ,max health for 1 minute just to name a few.
I played about 5 hours and beat 50 missions .
Each character is different types are meele ,support,ki blast,interfere.
Support can give you health regen,ki blast can reacharge you ki.
Game requires more like strategy then skill.
So far it's pretty good.

Estacado
Too unlock certain characters you have to get atleast s ranking on missions.
Im only missing 4 ssj 3 Goku,Ussj Trunks,Ssj3 Gotenks,Ultimate Gohan.
Pulling of ultimates is a pain in the ass you also have to get a special card which allows you to use an ultimate attack.So far only 4 characters have one Goku(Spirit Bomb),Ssj2 Gohan(father son kamehameha)Majin Vegeta(final explosion)Broly(Omega Blaster.)
Too pull one ultimate attack you have to charge up the big energy bar then your personal ki bar press lb+a+x then you enter a screen mode where you have to press b insanely fast to charge the big energy bar again when it's filled you have to press y+b for a badass animation.
While it looks cool its nearly impossible to pull of during tough battles cause while you mash b for 20 secs you can easily get your ass kicked but if you succeed you instantly win.

jinXed by JaNx
game looks awesome

Arachnid1
As in no anything.
Not even player vs cpu.
That sucks for me since I dont play online.
For singleplayer there is only story.
Got it for my haxxbox gonna pop it in and tell the details. Aaaaaaand that killed the game for me. Arcade mode and local vs modes are kind of big parts for fighting games. Leaving those out is a terrible idea.

Estacado
After playing 30 hours only in mission mode this game rocks!
Too bad that there is no local mp or anything.
My fave characters are Broly,Bills,Kid Buu,Super Trunks,FinalForm Cooler,Super Buu.
Characters I wanted to like but suck Super Perfect Cell,Ssj 2 Vegeta,Gohan Buu.
Bills is kinda disappointing his super is the most powerful but besides that his meele is weak compared to the likes of ssj 3 goku,super trunks and broly.
Also his specials are weak as well imo he should have been the most powerful character however that title goes to broly he might be a bit slow but he can 2-3 shot almost anybody with his special moves if you have better cards equipped.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Arachnid1
Aaaaaaand that killed the game for me. Arcade mode and local vs modes are kind of big parts for fighting games. Leaving those out is a terrible idea.
Let me know how that DBZ Kinect is then, because it has those local modes, so should be right up your alley.

I kid, I kid.

Sorry to hear that though.

After playing 30 hours only in mission mode this game rocks!
Too bad that there is no local mp or anything.
My fave characters are Broly,Bills,Kid Buu,Super Trunks,FinalForm Cooler,Super Buu.
Characters I wanted to like but suck Super Perfect Cell,Ssj 2 Vegeta,Gohan Buu.
Bills is kinda disappointing his super is the most powerful but besides that his meele is weak compared to the likes of ssj 3 goku,super trunks and broly.
Also his specials are weak as well imo he should have been the most powerful character however that title goes to broly he might be a bit slow but he can 2-3 shot almost anybody with his special moves if you have better cards equipped.
Ironically there's an achievement for getting 50 hours in on mission mode, though with the kind of replayability and grinding there is to do in it (for premium points to unlock some of the better cards and such), you'll pretty much get that inevitably anyway over time.

Agree on the lack of local stuff, but eh, this was still the first DBZ game in years that I felt was the power-up the franchise needed, as far as the things it did have (ignoring what it lacked).

As for characters, I have to disagree on Super Cell. Am pretty good with him and is probably my favorite ki blast type besides Meta-Cooler and maybe Super Buu, though I haven't used the latter as much.

Reluctantly tried LSSJ Broly a few times for sake of variation, and honestly, the only thing I found him good for was getting Z ranks on some levels for doing an ultimate special considering the amount of health you can make him have compared to most of the others that have ultimate specials. Other than that his playstyle's too slow and stuff for me to really enjoy much or get good with. I'd be better off using even regular SSJ Broly.

Agree on the rest of the characters you mentioned. Never noticed that about Bills' melee though. His melees always got the job done for me as well as some of those others mentioned. Then again, I always use the best melee cards I got on me when using him, so eh... I just wish either his super (or an ultimate super if he had one) was the super energy sphere that you saw him using in the intro, which was like his most powerful attack in the movie IIRC.

IMO Bills's LT is one of the better melee related specials. His RT special though I haven't found much use for yet.

Estacado
Let me know how that DBZ Kinect is then, because it has those local modes, so should be right up your alley.

I kid, I kid.

Sorry to hear that though.

Ironically there's an achievement for getting 50 hours in on mission mode, though with the kind of replayability and grinding there is to do in it (for premium points to unlock some of the better cards and such), you'll pretty much get that inevitably anyway over time.

Agree on the lack of local stuff, but eh, this was still the first DBZ game in years that I felt was the power-up the franchise needed, as far as the things it did have (ignoring what it lacked).

As for characters, I have to disagree on Super Cell. Am pretty good with him and is probably my favorite ki blast type besides Meta-Cooler and maybe Super Buu, though I haven't used the latter as much.

Reluctantly tried LSSJ Broly a few times for sake of variation, and honestly, the only thing I found him good for was getting Z ranks on some levels for doing an ultimate special considering the amount of health you can make him have compared to most of the others that have ultimate specials. Other than that his playstyle's too slow and stuff for me to really enjoy much or get good with. I'd be better off using even regular SSJ Broly.

Agree on the rest of the characters you mentioned. Never noticed that about Bills' melee though. His melees always got the job done for me as well as some of those others mentioned. Then again, I always use the best melee cards I got on me when using him, so eh... I just wish either his super (or an ultimate super if he had one) was the super energy sphere that you saw him using in the intro, which was like his most powerful attack in the movie IIRC.

IMO Bills's LT is one of the better melee related specials. His RT special though I haven't found much use for yet.
For LSSJ Broly I just start an attack with meele then press rt that way his rush attack does continous damage then rt again to end the special.If you just press rt he will possibly just hit the target once use meele for opening first.But yeah he is pretty slow.

Cell could be good but his lt special is weak compared to Super Buu's who is possibly the most overpowered ki character.Against Broly I used him and took him out by standing behind a rock and tapping Lt like a moron....haermm

Bills lt is a great special but damage wise its weak compared to Super Trunks,Final form Cooler,Broly.
For Bills I use 50+ melee the others are 45+ plus lrg damage while in air and lrg damage on ground both golden cards.
If I compare his melee to Super Trunks,Sjj3 Goku,Kid Buu,FF Cooler or Broly with the same cards he does like half the damage they do.ermm
His super attack makes up though since it almost 1 shot kills anyone..

Try FF Cooler he is a beast one of the best meele characters.
Super Trunks is a beast as well with rt you can boost his meele and with tapping lt you can do a 3 hit special attack that does shitload of damage.

Ridley_Prime
Ah, I see. Will keep that tactic in mind when using Broly again then.

By special I guess you mean Cell's and Super Buu's LT moves? In which case I agree. Do like how tactful you can be with Cell and Kid Buu when it comes to dat instant transmission though.

And arguably, Meta-Cooler might actually be the most overpowered ki type character, even more than Super Buu. Just have the "Android 19 Energy Absorbing System B" card equipped, fire some ki blasts on targets to make your ki meter go up fast under that card's effect, then spam that RT where he summons a couple clones for like a triple death beam. Granted, I was also using a level 100 version of one of those light blue cards that boosts ki blast attacks, and then some.

Huh. That is kinda weird about Bills far as the melee damage goes, but I guess they figured they had to balance him out somehow so he wouldn't be too OP in all aspects.

Yeah, final form Cooler (or Super Shredder Cooler as I like to call him) was one of the ones next on my list to try for awhile. Just been addicted to using the Meta version so far like I said.
As for Super Trunks, oh I know. Wasn't able to beat the Cell Games mission for the first time until I started using him some ironically.

Forgot to mention it last post, but Dabura is also a good ki blast type. Not the best by any means, but pretty fun to play with if used right. This game was like the first time I actually saw his "spit that turns people to stone" thing actually be used in gameplay. Kinda inaccurate though unless you're at close range. His unblockable fire breath move is also pretty sweet, and as a magic & sword user, he kinda makes up for the game's lack of Janemba.

Estacado
Never tried the A19 card....gonna try it now.
SSJ Sword Trunks is another great meele character try him as well.
FF Cooler's rt is continous attack so tap it 3 times after connecting with a meele first kinda like Broly's rt attack.
Also his super is a homing attack and deals pretty good damage.
SSJ 3 Gotenks is another disappointment.
I wanted to like SSJ Broly but his specials are way too slow and can be easily dodged his super looks badass though even if its LSSJ Broly's special always wanted that to be in a game.
SSJ2 Vegeta is almost exactly like SSJ Vegeta but he has no retry amounts.....that's pretty meh...ermm
They could have added Janemba,Super Vegeta,Super 13(the most badass android).

Yamcha
I've been on the fence about getting this game I almost did but then held off (which I kinda regret, seeing as how I could have got the Sage Mode costume and SSJ Bardock if I just made the decision earlier but meh -_-) it seems fun especially with being able to create your own team and with all the stats and stuff, I looked up the Ultimates and it sucks there's only a handful of characters who have them seeing as how in the previous games even joke characters seemed to have something xD, but I don't mind it that much after watching some Gameplay an stuff it definitely seems like the best direction the DBZ game franchise has went in awhile, I see this as a bit of a test and it seems pretty awesome I hope they continue going in this direction just throwing in more content and ultimates stuff like that, from what I played in the demo I had a pretty good time.

I couldn't find vids of Bill's ultimate though :/, saw Whis was in the game though, how does he handle is he a fun character to use? I'm just curious since we really didn't see much of what he could do in the movie so it would be cool to see what specials he had an stuff in game big grin

Estacado
Whis is a meele and support character one is his special is shooting healing energy balls the other is a teleporting counter his super is an exploding energy shot.
Bills is a meele character his special is a teleporting combo which can be used across the whole level and a counter attack.
During his super he raises both his hands and creates a large energy ball then throws it up on impact he lift his hand and does a huge finger blast.(Its the most powerful super in the game)

Estacado
I take back everything saidabout Gohan Buu he is a beast with lrg air power(flying golden vegeta card) and all abilities up(bardock silver card).
His lt ghost even 3 can do shit load of damage and eves lb+b attack can do a lot of damage they are also good if someone wants to get close they auto explode knocking the enemy down.

Ridley_Prime
Ah, that's good to hear about Buuhan. At first I just assumed he was a slightly amped Super Buu with no retry amount like SSJ2 Vegeta kinda is to regular SSJ Vegeta. May try him more sometime... eventually. It disappointed me how SSJ3 Gotenks didn't have the super ghost kamikaze attack while only the SSJ version did. I guess Buuhan kinda makes up for that and stuff.

Pretty much agree on the rest of the things said, so don't have much to add there.

Estacado
Buu's ghost kamikaze works like you hold lt and each ghost created takes a small amount of ki there is no use making more then 5 since that's the max amount that makes contact.Press lt again and you send them out they have some small homing ability another cool thing is that they absorb normal ki(b) blasts so while you make them the enemy is unable to interfere with normal ki hence they act as a wall.
Special attacks however go through them or if you send them out they can be destroyed with specials or supers.

Ridley_Prime
Buu's ghost kamikaze works like you hold lt and each ghost created takes a small amount of ki there is no use making more then 5 since that's the max amount that makes contact.Press lt again and you send them out they have some small homing ability another cool thing is that they absorb normal ki(b) blasts so while you make them the enemy is unable to interfere with normal ki hence they act as a wall.
Special attacks however go through them or if you send them out they can be destroyed with specials or supers.
Forgot to post about it earlier, but yeah. I gained a newfound liking for Buuhan in this game after giving him a try. Been times though where I had gotten carried away with the ghosts due to how many you can summon/spam at once (it's insane), and thus failed some missions due to being unable to save some downed teammates in time. erm That said, will definitely keep that in mind about making no more than 5 ghosts at once. lol

Neither of us bothered to mention him earlier surprisingly, but after giving him a try again, I think SSJG Goku has arguably the best melee attack power in the game, which I guess fits since Bills has the strongest super. Still not too much a fan of the SSJG design, but I think he's worth using at least a little more often now.

Estacado
Try Ssj 2 Vegeta he is a beast from close.
I use Android 19 drain card and lrg damage in air(flying vegeta)
Do an opening with meele to stun then hold lt his barrage attack does vamazing damage but it only hits from like 10-15 meters.
Havent played much with God Goku gonna use him now.

Estacado
Tried God Goku he is good but Ssj 3 Goku and Kid Buu are like 2 times more powerful as far as only Y attack goes.
Goku is better for attacking since his super is instant and it can be follow an opening meele.His lack of health sucks also if you finish a combo with lt and begin another the opponent is pushed too far and you might not reach it by simply pressing y making you stop in front of him leaving yourself for an open for an attack .
Buu has better health like 10000+ compared to Goku and his lt distant grip is great for stunning and getting the enemy close.However his super is not instant and it cant follow combo hence the charging during this time enemy can easily evade the super.
Their y damage is roughly equal .
With all skills up a 100+ hp the rest are 50 and 45 and a dino stake Goku has 58000 hp while Buu has 74000.
For testing I use mission 56 but since I dont play online I dont get updates that way your game might differ.
For meele i I use air dmg lrg and all skills up.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.