Ladder 49 - Starring John Travolta

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Fallyn
As a Baltimore native, i am definately excited about the upcoming November, 2003 release of the Film Ladder 49 with the wonderful actor John Travolta as the star.

They have recently been filming in Essex, Maryland (Middle River area) at an old Marina Bar and my cousin went last night (April 23) and had a picture taken with him and an autograph.

Anyone else excited or have some stories to share about the filming of Ladder 49?

Sünden
John Travolta is a good actor but he's been in some bad movies lately. Excluding Swordfish of course... that was a great movie.

Thomas H
swordfish was ok...

Roxanne
I actually got a call today to be an xtra in an upscale scene in ladder 49, I am going to film on thursday, thats about all I know about it right now, never done anything like this before but I am excited and hoping to learn more in a few days when I speak to wardrobe.

Augeybana
Yeah they gave my brother instructions on doing that film.Like no logo's or anything not Yankee's since it was filmed in Yankee stadium and bring I.D or your screwed.

Jedi Priestess
Going to see this in a couple of hours. It's my understanding that despite critics reviews this is a most powerful film.

Jedi Priestess
Ok just got back from this movie. I personally think the critics are full of it. This is a very good movie. The story is powerful, and moving. It was shot beautifully and very well acted. Travolta does a very good job but all the acting kudos go to Joaquin Phoenix. All I can say is take kleenex. I heard men in the theater getting choked up and I cried a river.

TheFilmProphet
What about The Punisher? mad

LoSt_
awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome movie. One of the best movies of all time.

TheFilmProphet
Ladder 49?

fighterangelus
yes i love joaquin phoenix and john travolta! FIRE!!!!!!!! wink

Jedi Priestess
I liked it for its merits not the men in it. Yes prophet it is very good.

TheFilmProphet
I think the film was great because of the effort put in it by everyone involved.

LoSt_
yes

Jedi Priestess
oh ME too but what I am saying is I wasnt liking the movie from a frangirl point of view. laughing out loud

TheFilmProphet
Its a great film either way. Whether your a fan or not.

WindDancer
I've also heard some great reviews about this movie. But that's not the reason why I'm going to go see it. I haven't seen a fireman movie in quite awhile so this is like a treat to me. Be back later with a review.

LoSt_
I get to see this movie again in the next week or so big grinbig grinbig grin im excited. This movie truly r0x.

Tired Hiker
Great flick! I saw it yesterday and cried like a little girl.

LoSt_
yayy. Someone else who agrees with me!!!!!!!! I cried too..and Ill cry just as much when i see it again.

dublecee
did you notice theres always an explosiion where john trovolta is

PS very sad main carecter dies

BloomBabyGirl
gee thanx for the spoiler

Primitive Screwhead
I dunno... after seeing the previews in the theaters this summer, all I can think of is "Backdraft ripoff".

Tired Hiker
I thought it was going to be a Backdraft ripoff as well. I was surprised to see that it wasn't. The setting is very similar to Backdraft, but the story does not involve the conspiracy element that Backdraft had. I felt Ladder was way more real than Backdraft and gives the audience a taste of what families of firefighters who lost their lives in 911 went through. Damn good flick with an ending that I sort of didn't expect.

Inwë Nólatári
This movie was AWESOME!!!!!!! it really gives you a whole new apperciation for firemen and what they go though. After 9/11, i think it was the perfect time to come out with a fireman movies too.

Jedi Priestess
Actually it is better than Backdraft and Im a huge fan of Backdraft.
And dublecee in the future use spoiler tags as those are the rules and it really pisses people off who havent seen the movie yet. messed

myaktrustsnoone
I like movies that resemble this one... true life stories such as the movie Radio... that movie almost made me tear up that was such a good movie... along with Garden State.

Stokely
Sorry guys but this movie sucked. I've never watched anything so boring in my life. It was a lovely ode to firemen but just horribly boring.

ladygrim
im not one to watch bravery type movies

Dexx
the movie was okay....expecept the fact that he died is REALLY pointless! the whole movie shows you his life and leads to you thinking he'll make it. and then...he is irrevocably killed. i wonder if it wasn't just a pretext to have something to play that great melody on. stick out tongue...shine your light!

Smasandian
SPOILER ALERT

If you look back and see how they edited the film, you can see how the character ends up. It was more of a story about his life than story about fireman. Also, the use of flashbacks seems to showcase his life and the light and the end of the tunnel.
I thought it was sad because I really enjoyed the relationships between his character and his wife and his mentor.
Good movie but with a really cheesy song at the end.

Cinemaddiction
Surprised so few people commented on the film. My girlfriend and I watched it this evening, naturally, we, too, thought it was pretty damn sad, especially given the appreciation you come to have for Jack Morrison and his gang. Powerful stuff, a little long, but I appreciated the angle from which it was approached, beginning with the end, and the story development. Not that I am/was a firefighter, but they look to have captured the brotherhood and camaraderie of firefighters extremely well.

Of the 3 firefighter movies I've seen, this is probably second, next to "Backdraft" and painfully far ahead of Howie Long's uber-ripoff of the aforementioned flick, "Firestorm".

Jacinda Barrett was awesome. It was funny when I first started watching, I was like, "That's that Australian chick from The Real World: London, Jacinda!" She's come a long way, obviously.

forumcrew
Originally posted by Primitive Screwhead
I dunno... after seeing the previews in the theaters this summer, all I can think of is "Backdraft ripoff".

i think people are too quick to call a firefighter movie a backdraft ripoff. I think backdraft was better then this, but ladder 49 was still pretty good and it wasnt really a ripoff at all.. just cause the plot revolves around firefighters doesnt mean its the same movie...

sblomie545
i just watched this movie the other day and to be honest i didn't think it was that great of a movie- i thought it was really sad and trust me, i waterworked, but idk how good of a movie i thought it was... plus the song at the end kinda threw it off fer me stick out tongue

ApolloX
it was a wierd movie.

Cinemaddiction
Weird, in the fact that it incorporated a reverse narrative? I hope you never see "Run, Lola, Run", lol.

BackFire
I saw this a while back, was surprisingly pleased, very powerful movie, better then I was expecting.

DarthLazious
I will go rent this movie at Blockbuster next week.

MildPossession
"I hope you never see "Run, Lola, Run", lol."

Run Lola Run is perfect, fabulous film.

As for Ladder 49, I will take a look at it when out here for rent.

Cinemaddiction
I never said there was anything wrong with it, but if someone considers reverse narrative to be "weird" or hard to understand, then "Run, Lola, Run" is the last film they should see, given the premise and the fact it has 3 endings.

MildPossession
And I never meant that you did say something wrong about the film. I was just saying what I thought about it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.